PDA

View Full Version : Throw ins

Jones28
21-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Get your ****ing ***** on that training pitch on Monday and practice your throw ins and possession retention.

I can't ever remember seeing a team give the ball away from throw ins so much.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Pathetic. No movement whatsoever

Hamish
21-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Get your ****ing ***** on that training pitch on Monday and practice your throw ins and possession retention.

Been the same for a long time. Remember complaining 30/40 years ago about the same thing

Unseen work
21-01-2018, 04:13 PM
I personally think it’s the amount of time it takes us to take them. We allow the other team time to settle into shape instead of getting on it and exposing them

gaz1875
21-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Add to that kick off, ****in embarrassment, quick free kicks laughable corners and free kicks straight to the keeper.

A Hi-Bee
21-01-2018, 04:17 PM
I personally think it’s the amount of time it takes us to take them. We allow the other team time to settle into shape instead of getting on it and exposing them

Every player should be able to do the basics, no need to wait on one of the full backs to wander up and take the throw in 9 times out of 10 goes to the oppossition, it really is crazy that we have not dealt with this for more than 30 ****in years or so.

CMac1988
21-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Take too long to take them and generally only have one option and therefore have to wait until that one player gets in a position where he can take it. Movement off the ball throughout the team is equally *****.

Albanian Hibs
21-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Their goal came from our *****y corner

banchoryhibs
21-01-2018, 04:23 PM
The throw from Efe straight to a Hearts player in the first half was truly dreadful. Lennon was asked about our throw ins at the AGM and did not think it was a problem ......

Not a good day today :bitchy:

JK Rolling
21-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Lewis had the ball in his hands, fannying about, longer than it was in play. The running off the ball wasn't great but FFS.

nellio
21-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Set pieces in General are awful!

Lendo
21-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Are foul throws still a thing in football?

IGRIGI
21-01-2018, 04:44 PM
No one moves for them, usually Lewis has one option who is marked by 5 players and then he has to moan for someone else to bother their arse to move.

At least half the time it results in an attack for the other team putting us under pressure.

I'd also add in free kicks, the amount of times we have the opportunity to launch a dangerous ball into the box and waste it is unreal.

Hibee Mac
21-01-2018, 04:52 PM
On the subject of throw ins,is Berra free to foul throw whenever he likes??

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Throw ins, Free kicks, Corners, Hibs have been awful at set pieces for most of my 35 years as a fan apart from a few odd occasions.

Floated free kicks/corners are as well as just given position back to the other team.

heretoday
21-01-2018, 04:54 PM
You wonder what they actually practise in training!
All that fabulous training facility and they can't take free kicks,corners, throw-ins etc without wasting it.

JimBHibees
21-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Yep ball never goes behind his head.

SmashinGlass
21-01-2018, 04:56 PM

every single one he took was a foul throw. The way he throws it actually looks like he uses his forehead to push the ball. :confused:

heretoday
21-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Yep ball never goes behind his head.

I noticed that. The ref and linesmen seemed to think it was OK.

Hibrandenburg
21-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Glad someone else noticed that and what about those limp Julian Clary wrists when he's throwing the ball. Looks funny as ****.

Jim44
21-01-2018, 05:31 PM
A throw in to us is effectively possession to our opponents. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

snooky
21-01-2018, 05:33 PM
A throw in to us is effectively possession to our opponents. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

Since Broony left. :agree:

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 05:34 PM
I wouldn’t let John McGinn take the free kicks or corners in the u12 team I coach.
Cochran’s corners caused us problems every single time and eventually got them the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
21-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Throw ins, free kicks, corners, goal kicks, centre kicks are all terrible when we have the ball and are not that much better when we are defending. We rarely look like we have a plan for anything. The throw ins are a bit of a running joke but we are worse than usual. We simply don't move off the ball enough. We are much worse when defending throw ins though as we always seem to allow a player to get a touch before we get near them.

McD
21-01-2018, 05:40 PM
No one moves for them, usually Lewis has one option who is marked by 5 players and then he has to moan for someone else to bother their arse to move.

At least half the time it results in an attack for the other team putting us under pressure.

I'd also add in free kicks, the amount of times we have the opportunity to launch a dangerous ball into the box and waste it is unreal.

:agree: It’s so frustrating watching every other player just standing watching, whilst the one or two who are moving usually seem to just run back and forth for about 5 yards being really easy to mark. It’s pathetic.

every single one he took was a foul throw. The way he throws it actually looks like he uses his forehead to push the ball. :confused:

:agree: And this too. Every time it was a foul throw

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 05:50 PM
May sound pedantic (and bitter) but would have also been nice if Clancy had spotted Berra's continual foul throws too :aok: Don't think he had one correctly taken throw (bug bear of mine) - that and the yards they were allowed to take by the linesman and ref. Wee things but can be important.

Allant1981
21-01-2018, 05:53 PM
May sound pedantic (and bitter) but would have also been nice if Clancy had spotted Berra's continual foul throws too :aok: Don't think he had one correctly taken throw (bug bear of mine) - that and the yards they were allowed to take by the linesman and ref. Wee things but can be important.

said that during the game as well, every single throw in he had was a foul throw but wasnt once picked up on it

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Bang on .... we give the ball away from our own throw ins time and again and it was the same today, but when your tactic from throw ins is give it to McGinn, give it to McGinn, give it to McGinn, give it to McGinn etc etc etc with absolutely nobody else showing for the ball its hardly a surprise we end up losing it. All McGinn can do is either try to spin with the ball, meaning 7 times out of 10 he loses it, or pass it back to the throw in taker, by which time he has 3 opposition players closing him down.

We simply must sort this out.

kaimendhibs
21-01-2018, 06:56 PM
We would be as well letting the opposition take our throws

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
21-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Lewis had the ball in his hands, fannying about, longer than it was in play. The running off the ball wasn't great but FFS.

I actually felt sorry for Lewy trying to take throw-ins with no options.

Nobody even pretending to want the ball and forcing a 50-50 (which more often than not we were losing today)

Cod Boy
21-01-2018, 07:03 PM
The last time hibs had any movement from throw ins was when Paul Wright played .

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 07:06 PM
I actually felt sorry for Lewy trying to take throw-ins with no options.

Nobody even pretending to want the ball and forcing a 50-50 (which more often than not we were losing today)

Why ? How difficult is it to throw to a player's feet (ours) and expect them to hold it up or pass to the thrower ?

If in doubt, you get it up the line and compete for it. We never seem to throw it up the line and we look for the easy, supposedly simple throw. Make players make decisions and make them compete ! One wee ricochet, one knock down, one wee break - and you're off. Lewis looks panic struck when taking them - relax, be composed, do the simple things of football and play the lines.

BigT-Hibeez
21-01-2018, 07:08 PM
There was one point in the game when the ball came off a Hertz player, and Efe could have kept it in play but instead let it run out for a throw in, as players often do to let others get back into position, but we then lost possession from the resulting throw in!! F***ing annoying!!!

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 07:13 PM
There was one point in the game when the ball came off a Hertz player, and Efe could have kept it in play but instead let it run out for a throw in, as players often do to let others get back into position, but we then lost possession from the resulting throw in!! F***ing annoying!!!

To be fair, at various points in the second half Efe looked like he was playing in Chesser Avenue and not Tynecastle - he was all over the shop :agree:

Stuart93
21-01-2018, 07:24 PM
We're very pedestrian when it comes to everything

Lang Toun hibby
21-01-2018, 08:17 PM
We're very pedestrian when it comes to everything

I have complained about the throw ins for months. Lack of movement being the main issue. Many years ago watching Airdrie! inevitably beating Hibs (many a marrooner played for them) they would put the ball up the line and advance up to the oppositions box. Where am I going with this! Practice, practise, practise! Basic throw ins corners, free kicks.

Jim44
22-01-2018, 07:50 AM
It seems every man and his dog sees our incompetence at throw ins yet nothing is done about it by our coaching staff.

WeeRussell
22-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Why ? How difficult is it to throw to a player's feet (ours) and expect them to hold it up or pass to the thrower ?

If in doubt, you get it up the line and compete for it. We never seem to throw it up the line and we look for the easy, supposedly simple throw. Make players make decisions and make them compete ! One wee ricochet, one knock down, one wee break - and you're off. Lewis looks panic struck when taking them - relax, be composed, do the simple things of football and play the lines.

I thought I was clear in saying it's because he had no options. Like, actually none at times.

How difficult is it for someone to run-off a man, spin-out, or pretend to want the ball from the thrower?

EVENTUALLY
22-01-2018, 12:33 PM
It seems every man and his dog sees our incompetence at throw ins yet nothing is done about it by our coaching staff.

A shareholder recently challenged Neil Lennon about this at the AGM and was shot down by the manager. Said our corners were fine too!

hibs#1
22-01-2018, 12:38 PM

I said this yesterday seems to take a fortnight to take one hearts were far quicker at taking them yesterday if used right can be good method to start an attack.

wookie70
22-01-2018, 03:18 PM
A shareholder recently challenged Neil Lennon about this at the AGM and was shot down by the manager. Said our corners were fine too!

If he thinks our set plays are good enough then that is poor.

Watch Hearts set plays yesterday. They never had many but they scored and had a clean strike from an unmarked Berra. They also had the short free kick where the new signing ran a dummy run and got a shot away with Gonzalves stopping our wall covering. Very obvious that they had worked on set plays.

As much as we are terrible at attacking set plays we are actually worse at defending them. Ambrose is terrible for losing his man and yesterday showed how poor Dylan is, as yet again, he ball watched and his man scored. Murray lost his man ball watching too. Most of our issues look like a combination of lack of a plan, lack of practice, lack of concentration and a lack of "professionalism". Every other team grapples with the target men to stop them getting a run but Berra gets a free run at Hanlon, climbs all over him and Hanlon doesn't even claim for a foul. In attack we struggle because we don't have anyone who delivers a decent ball consistently. It would be interesting to see how much work goes on at East Mains as on the face of it I would guess zero.

cabbageandribs1875
22-01-2018, 03:29 PM
i don't think i would like to watch our players train at throw ins/corners tbh, i see the outcome all too often on matchdays :boo hoo: i'm convinced they just play darts, playstations, watch sky sport news, table tennis

Skol
22-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Pathetic. No movement whatsoever

I disagree. Boyle showed plenty movement. Unfortunately it was to get as far away as possible and we ended up with bizarrely Bartley being the one who we threw to hoping for a deft touch back to the thrower

macca70
22-01-2018, 07:31 PM
With Throw ins up around the oppositions box, I really don’t understand why we don’t just get Efe to launch it into the box.

Anything can happen, even if you don’t win the 1st ball you have a chance of the defenders just clearing it and it coming straight back.

If teams did it to us, i’d be nervous at the prospect of us defending it.

I reckon we’d have much better success than the shambles we see at throw ins just now.

wookie70
22-01-2018, 07:34 PM
With Throw ins up around the oppositions box, I really don’t understand why we don’t just get Efe to launch it into the box.

Anything can happen, even if you don’t win the 1st ball you have a chance of the defenders just clearing it and it coming straight back.

I reckon we’d have much better success than the shambles we see at throw ins just now.

We had a throw in about 10 yards out from the bye line with a minute or two left. Efe did signal to take the long one and started to make his way over but I think the main stand would have been finished before he got there. I agree that hurling the ball into the box is a useful way of potentially picking up a cheap goal.

22-01-2018, 09:01 PM

A long throw in is as good as a corner, albeit in our case a s**te one.

Forza Fred
23-01-2018, 01:07 AM
We would be as well letting the opposition take our throws

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We should claim on our opponents behalf.

Saves time.

We end up giving it them at their feet anyway.

I simply do not understand how we can be so bad at throw ins.....if it was an amateur team it would be sorted.