PDA

View Full Version : Centre forward has cost us again..

Hibby soldier
21-01-2018, 04:00 PM
We need to spend on a goalscorer now..

Mr_F
21-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Too late

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 04:03 PM

We definitely need something. Shaw and Boyle didn’t work. Murray isn’t of the required quality to perform consistently. Stokes looks like he’s out the door and even when playing spent most of the games in midfield.

mcfly
21-01-2018, 04:04 PM
A lack of a centre forward u mean.

Today clearly showed to me that relying on a young lad is unfair. He’s not quite ready.

Barker on from start for me. Much more quality than Boyle.

We have a solid team but our strikers aren’t good enough

Thecat23
21-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Big time. We need about 4 new players imo. Slivka, Dave, Swanson, Stokes can bolt.

mcfly
21-01-2018, 04:07 PM
The club must have money - crowds are up hugely.

However they can drift away just as easily if we see more performances like that.

A striker that scores goals must be found this month

scuttle
21-01-2018, 04:08 PM
You have to create something for strikers to start with. MIdfield were dire today

Michael
21-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Too late

Still half the season to go mate.

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 04:11 PM
The fact we are already on to taking random no marks on trial worries me. We need some proper quality up front, no a hopeful punt in the same mould as big Dave.

hibsmad
21-01-2018, 04:12 PM
We just have no one up front who the ball sticks to. Stokes is the only option there, and with him out the team, all we have are penalty box players and guys who like to run. Shaw has a lot of potential. He takes up great positions but ultimately lacks in the physical side of the game big time.

Unseen work
21-01-2018, 04:12 PM
This is where I think we need a target man, it doesn’t mean we hoof it but he can hold it up and bring others into play whilst keeping defenders occupied

Find it odd that our new striker Maclaren didn’t feature at all.

Borderhibbie76
21-01-2018, 04:13 PM
The fact we are already on to taking random no marks on trial worries me. We need some proper quality up front, no a hopeful punt in the same mould as big Dave.It's been another dire window from Lennon so far and cost us badly today. Starting to really worry about his signings...mostly very poor so far

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nicho87
Said it time and time again. Shaw is too young. Sorry. But if he is our main goal threat we are struggling.

Nicho87
Slivka
Whittaker
Big Dave
Swanson
Stokes

Good window likes

AgentDaleCooper
21-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Slivka
Whittaker
Big Dave
Swanson
Stokes

Good window likes just to be fair, getting rocky and efe on permanent deals was pretty good business.

hhibs
21-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Big time. We need about 4 new players imo. Slivka, Dave, Swanson, Stokes can bolt.

You can be pretty sure that is not what will happen and if it does we will recruit some new deadwood as this regime slide into the cheap habits of the old.

NL continued tactics,team selection and poor recruitment combined with the inability to pick a settled team mean, for me,he is also a problem.

Just how long has this team needed goals ,season after season and still no solution ffs Hibs !!

col02
21-01-2018, 04:17 PM
This is where I think we need a target man, it doesn’t mean we hoof it but he can hold it up and bring others into play whilst keeping defenders occupied

Find it odd that our new striker Maclaren didn’t feature at all.

For all Holt wasn't a great goalscorer he'd have let Berra know he was in a game today! Big Dave supposedly brought in as an option when the pitches turned poor and not even a sniff of a game on that ploughed field!

madhatter
21-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Slivka
Whittaker
Big Dave
Swanson
Stokes

Good window likes

None of the have been successes. Sad as it is, all of them could be offloaded without complaint.

Mathie and his recruitment team need to be assessed as we seem to be recruiting garbage at the moment.

Hibrandenburg
21-01-2018, 04:19 PM
We're playing our forwards too deep going forward. We've got two wide players that can walz past defenders but won't take the ball to the line and cross it, because of that our strikers are being drawn to the corners instead of getting themselves into goal scoring positions. Just cross the ****ing ball.

Hannah_hfc
I know Maclaren hasn’t played much since summer but surely when Shaw became almost invisible in the last 20 he could have come on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EH54
Mcginn and Dylan have been found out for weeks imo final 3rd product has been brutal for a while now and we really need to change something up

Baader
21-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Please sign Adam Rooney.

hhibs
21-01-2018, 04:21 PM

However they can drift away just as easily if we see more performances like that.

Unfortunately I believe there be a huge drop in season tickets as the football has been poor and the Management look to be unable to change things (I mean the whole clubs management including the board)

MSK
21-01-2018, 04:22 PM
We need to spend on a goalscorer now..Thought we had signed a goalscorer ?

Crab apple
21-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Said it time and time again. Shaw is too young. Sorry. But if he is our main goal threat we are struggling.

Starting with Shaw on his own up front was asking a lot. Lennon needs to fix the Stokes situation one way or another. And replace big dave as he’s clearly not got a future here.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Need an attacking midfielder just as much. We had nothing in the final third.

A Hi-Bee
21-01-2018, 04:24 PM
we are just no as good as many have thought we are.

madhatter
21-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Starting with Shaw on his own up front was asking a lot. Lennon needs to fix the Stokes situation one way or another. And replace big dave as he’s clearly not got a future here.

I can see McGinn, Stokes, and Big Dave leaving this week. Stokes definitely 100%, no way back for me, he has to be ejected from the club.

Hibrandenburg
21-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Need an attacking midfielder just as much. We had nothing in the final third.

:agree: Our strikers are getting the ball 35 yards out and are expected to create goal scoring chances from there. We need a creative midfielder to do that for them or a winger that can actually provide them with service.

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 04:28 PM
I can see McGinn, Stokes, and Big Dave leaving this week. Stokes definitely 100%, no way back for me, he has to be ejected from the club.

McGinn was in the paper today saying he wants to wait to sort out his future till the end of the season, so he could be staying. Agree with the other two, but that leaves us with needing more signings and ones of a good quality at that.

Unseen work
21-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Please sign Adam Rooney.

I see this a lot. Why on earth would he come to us or Aberdeen consider selling him.

ancient hibee
21-01-2018, 04:35 PM
The best balls played into the box were by Shaw.The best positions taken in the box without getting the ball were by Shaw.The most head flicks on from clearances to midfielders who refused to make the runs past him were by Shaw.He wasn’t the problem today.

MacGruber
21-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Still half the season to go mate.

He's right. it's too late.
Hearts got Naismith in. played him. That's what they are like. question over fitness but they roll the dice because of the magnitude of the game.

McLaren sits on the bench. 0-0 poised next goal the winner. Then we need to chase a goal. Is he not fit enough for 5 minutes. Or not good enough. Pointless

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Well played Hearts, upped their game second half and pressed higher and Naismith and Goncalves dropped deeper to allow them to keep and retain possession and win important set pieces in decent areas.

Basics let down Hibs today. Formation - diamond up against a midfield 4 - never going to work. Simple passing and clearing - awful all game and players wanted an extra touch that you simply don't get in a frenetic derby (McGinn and Bartley in particular). Playing a centre half at right back or the right of a 3 - nope, didn't work and Hibs time and time again allowed Hearts simple territory and possession high up the pitch by exposing Ambrose for what he is - a centre half playing out of position. Thought Ambrose and Bartley were woeful today.

Boyle - off the pace, didn't play with either his head up or indeed take the full backs on. Seemed intent on getting shots off (worldies) rather than play with his head up and with game intelligence. Shaw - game passed the lad by (as it did Cochrane to be honest).

Slow and laboured second half and looked very like after 70 minutes we were playing for the replay. Why bring a centre forward in, who'll be crying for a debut in a game like this, and keep him cold on the bench.

So many issues with Lennon's approach, set up, mindset and negativity before the game today - his interviews this week have been completely uninspiring and makes me think that there was a lot more to Portugal than meets the eye.

Only pass marks for me today were big Ofir, Darren and Hanlon. Rest played as if they were hungover. Berra and Souttar won't have a quieter derby as well - need some real physicality up top to make them know they were in a game.

Disjointed in many ways today, set up very perplexing, players not up to speed second half and lacked real belief. Hearts deserved it, without question. Got to acknowledge that at the end of the day. Desire, heart and work rate beats talent in derbies every day of the week :aok:

andybev1
21-01-2018, 04:49 PM

The fact we are already on to taking random no marks on trial worries me. We need some proper quality up front, no a hopeful punt in the same mould as big Dave.This really is worrying,

RedHibby
21-01-2018, 04:53 PM

What worries me is crowds have increased dramatically so income must be the same. Where is all the income going? Certainly not on quality. What really annoys me is that all the players coming in are not ready to play, lack fitness and then end up out injured.

One Day Soon
21-01-2018, 04:54 PM
The lack of pace in our full backs is our biggest problem. Leaves us exposed for most of the daft goals we have conceded and means we never can double up on opposing full backs - wingers have to try and do it all themselves and if they need support it is the attacking midfielders or forwards who have to go to them.

Malthibby
21-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately I believe there be a huge drop in season tickets as the football has been poor and the Management look to be unable to change things (I mean the whole clubs management including the board)

You got Google translate on Cornish?
We've had a very very good couple of years & it's pretty sad to think you believe folk will suddenly walk away in large numbers when the going gets a wee bit tough.
I prefer to believe that fans will hang on in there while Hibs get the current situation sorted.
GG

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Hearts got Naismith in. played him. That's what they are like. question over fitness but they roll the dice because of the magnitude of the game.

McLaren sits on the bench. 0-0 poised next goal the winner. Then we need to chase a goal. Is he not fit enough for 5 minutes. Or not good enough. Pointless

Exactly where I am - quite bizarre you go to the lengths we did to get him, it's a signing that has some edge to it given their interest, and he doesn't feature.

Lots and lots for Neil Lennon to ponder and reflect on after this one for me. Didn't like the reactions from Daz to Efe either (with Darren absolutely in the right). You win your battles, clear your lines first - you don't nonchalantly run over to attempt to close down a cross. Darren was fizzing with him most of the game and rightly so.

Onion
21-01-2018, 04:56 PM
You have to create something for strikers to start with. MIdfield were dire today

Spot on.

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Exactly where I am - quite bizarre you go to the lengths we did to get him, it's a signing that has some edge to it given their interest, and he doesn't feature.

Lots and lots for Neil Lennon to ponder and reflect on after this one for me. Didn't like the reactions from Daz to Efe either (with Darren absolutely in the right). You win your battles, clear your lines first - you don't nonchalantly run over to attempt to close down a cross. Darren was fizzing with him most of the game and rightly so.

Yeah I noticed that. Daz was basically screaming in his face at one point trying to get through to him. Still, Lennon will not hear a bad word said against his Efe.

andybev1
21-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Also, it is not the first time that lennon has picked a team most would not have played. He gets a right back and does not play him, a striker and the same. Plays boyle on the wrong side and I do not know how many more out of position. WTF is he playing at?

GreenCastle
21-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Been said for a while - even when Cummings was here.

We need to score more goals.

We don’t score enough from midfield and don’t assist enough.

Shaw up front was like a 1-0 for Hearts when they saw that line up. Berra v Shaw ! I like Shaw but it’s a lot to ask.

Service wasn’t great but we need goals and also an outball - Holt hasn’t been replaced.

Positive their is still time in the window to try sort as Stokes leaves us.

hibeerealist
21-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Absolutely spot on and why is Lennon persisting with putting the laddie in the starting line up. He signed an apparently very good prospect who is hungry to get in the Australian WC squad but left him on the bench! I get it that he may not want to throw him on at the start but FFS there was nothing up front so surely no harm in giving him 20 minutes IF he seriously was trying to win the game!

His is starting line up shouted out draw and how he could watch Efe being ripped a new one the whole second half is beyond me.

Lennon confuses again.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Yeah I noticed that. Daz was basically screaming in his face at one point trying to get through to him. Still, Lennon will not hear a bad word said against his Efe.

Thing is, like most derbies, set pieces are crucial and afford you a wee sniff of a goal - which they took.

McGinn this season has been one of the worst set piece takers in the side, yet we persist with him on them all. It's something that you simply must practice regularly and we don't seem to do so. I didn't think they were particularly great at them either, despite having really decent areas to take them from. But we lost a marker and conceded. Usually wee Lewy is on that post too - need to see the highlights to see why and where he was at the corner. Bartley had an absolute shocker today and should have been hooked before the injury stoppage - midfield at that point needed dynamism and energy to drive forward, he seemed intent on wanting extra touches, labouring on the ball, and playing square.

All ifs, buts and maybes now though, onwards and upwards. Derby in March to make amends and look forward to :aok:

hhibs
21-01-2018, 05:09 PM
You got Google translate on Cornish?
We've had a very very good couple of years & it's pretty sad to think you believe folk will suddenly walk away in large numbers when the going gets a wee bit tough.
I prefer to believe that fans will hang on in there while Hibs get the current situation sorted.
GG

Why ,are you feeling a little Pastie ?

Oh and six decades of watching Hibs, I think I have a feel for what will happen to our crowds rather than wishful thinking.

Aldo
21-01-2018, 05:12 PM
We were shocking, especially in the second half and deserved nowt from the game. Played right into their hands with little or no threat in the final 3rd second half.

They were hungrier and had their tactics spot on. Creativity and goals is a must.

My phone hasn’t stopped and they are celebrating like they won the cup....

GillyHibee
21-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Seen something a while back about Hibs looking at Kris Doolan from Partick. Looking at his record, was about 14 goals a season....

Brightside
21-01-2018, 05:47 PM

The strikers only got about 2 chances.

Northernhibee
21-01-2018, 05:48 PM
The fact we are already on to taking random no marks on trial worries me. We need some proper quality up front, no a hopeful punt in the same mould as big Dave.

Big Dave wasn't a hopeful punt, Lennon had him watched for months which worries me more about the whole recruitment side of things at the club.

Hibrandenburg
21-01-2018, 05:51 PM
The strikers only got about 2 chances.

We don't use strikers, we play 7 in midfield.

Borderhibbie76
21-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Mcginn and Dylan have been found out for weeks imo final 3rd product has been brutal for a while now and we really need to change something upYup agree with this both hugely overrated on here and offer far too little end product going forward. Individually they are excellent players but them 2 plus Bartley offers almost zero creativity and it's a huge problem for us.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Yup agree with this both hugely overrated on here and offer far too little end product going forward. Individually they are excellent players but them 2 plus Bartley offers almost zero creativity and it's a huge problem for us.

All three refuse to drive forward with the ball. We have zero creativity in the final third and we are too cheap to go and get it.

Borderhibbie76
21-01-2018, 06:21 PM
All three refuse to drive forward with the ball. We have zero creativity in the final third and we are too cheap to go and get it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMcGinn used to drive forward but now he pings these diagonal long balls all the time. We have no creativity from the middle of park and maybe we do need one of them pair to move on to rectify that

RIP
21-01-2018, 06:31 PM
It's been another dire window from Lennon so far and cost us badly today. Starting to really worry about his signings...mostly very poor so far

Lennon has little to do with sourcing players- that's George Craig and co.

Borderhibbie76
21-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Lennon has little to do with sourcing players- that's George Craig and co.I don't believe he has no say in our signings?? He said he watched Big Dave for months before signing him?? And George Craig didn't identify Ambrose as a signing? Not all Lennon I agree but he sanctions the signings

DaveF
21-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Lennon has little to do with sourcing players- that's George Craig and co.

Lennon will have the final say though.

From visits to East Mains I thought Mathie and co identify the players based on what is required but the management make the decision to sign them or not.

emerald green
21-01-2018, 06:37 PM

Agree. Hearts would have found the money to get Bale or Harry Kane in on loan if it meant they would not lose for a third year in a row in the cup to Hibs!

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Lennon will have the final say though.

From visits to East Mains I thought Mathie and co identify the players based on what is required but the management make the decision to sign them or not.

Whatever the situation is, it’s not working. We are relying heavily on players signed by Stubbs and only Marciano and Ambrose could be considered a success since Lennon arrived.
Both Hearts new signings had good games today and they were rewarded. Ours were warming the bench.

BSEJVT
21-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Much as I would like it to be different, I think those hoping for any let alone multiple signings are living in cloud cuckoo land

The only way that can happen is if we sell the not so super recently JM.

I read loads of posts saying Stokes will be away, even as long time a defender of him as me is sick of the circus that surrounds him and would like him gone.

One thing though he does have is previous for is being quite happy to take the cash whilst not playing, so I am not sure how easy disposing of him will be.

Every further miss-step on his career ladder makes him less and less saleable and our only hope is either a foreign club who have only ever seen his highlights reel and know nothing of him as a person or an English League 1 club in last chance saloon rolling the dice.

IMO we need to get very lucky with Shaw stepping up very quickly to the plate or Maclaren being a goal machine.

Right now I would settle for a top 6 place and major squad overhaul in the summer as something tells me there wont be much cash forthcoming

Yet another example of the power that the difference in fan raised contributions between FOH & HSL can make?

They have Naismith, who was very good today and we hang our hopes on a young laddie from the development team, whom I hope we don't ruin in doing so

eastcoasthibby
21-01-2018, 06:48 PM
A lack of a centre forward u mean.

Today clearly showed to me that relying on a young lad is unfair. He’s not quite ready.

Barker on from start for me. Much more quality than Boyle.

We have a solid team but our strikers aren’t good enough

Said it since Boyle came.to us he is not a striker, he is wide player and needs.to get his head roundabout it and also concentrate on playing football and contributing all he can on working for the team ...work on his crossing and finishing.
A striker needed as Shaw will get burst same as JC did bybeing forced through too early.

jacomo
21-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Slivka
Whittaker
Big Dave
Swanson
Stokes

Good window likes

Ok we’ve not had a great return from any of these guys, but I doubt any of them would have come cheap.

My perception is that Hibs are spending money - we’ve just had a bad return on it.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Said it since Boyle came.to us he is not a striker, he is wide player and needs.to get his head roundabout it and also concentrate on playing football and contributing all he can on working for the team ...work on his crossing and finishing.
A striker needed as Shaw will get burst same as JC did bybeing forced through too early.

Boyle needs to play with his head up :agree: have to say though, he caught his shot perfectly and it was a very very good save to stop us going one up.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Wer're struggling to score goals, so sign a guy who couldnt even get a game today and have our main goal scorer not even on the bench. Only Hibs. Farcical.

Ray_
21-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Boyle needs to play with his head up :agree: have to say though, he caught his shot perfectly and it was a very very good save to stop us going one up.

To have hit it perfectly he would have struck it low, well away from the keeper.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 07:45 PM
The best balls played into the box were by Shaw.The best positions taken in the box without getting the ball were by Shaw.The most head flicks on from clearances to midfielders who refused to make the runs past him were by Shaw.He wasn’t the problem today.

I agree totally with that. There was a complete lack of desire from the midfielders and Boyle to make the run in case Shaw won a flick. He did well in the air against their giants but no-one was there to profit. Playing long balls to a number 9 and not running off him isn't the best of plans. Our strengths this year has been our wingers. I get that Tiny is a small, poor pitch but Hearts looked dangerous out wide. I got it when he played Holt up top and went to war but we didn't seem to have any plan today and for that matter in the last game too. Close games and we should have won the last one but that is more to do with Hearts being mince than any grand plan and great play.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 07:52 PM
To have hit it perfectly he would have struck it low, well away from the keeper.

Think you're being a wee bit harsh Ray ? He caught it well and it was under the cross bar - fair play to their keeper for making a good stop ?

The chance he should have buried was first half and if he had used his left foot. Great ball in by Shaw too (I think).

rotherhamrob
21-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Maybe it's time to give fraser Murray a run out? From what little I've seen of him he at least likes to get forward ahead of the strikers.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Maybe it's time to give fraser Murray a run out? From what little I've seen of him he at least likes to get forward ahead of the strikers.

Need to try something. Playing with 3 defensive mods is painful to watch.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:43 PM

I said this the other week. No idea where he's disappeared to but he should be getting a look in.

kaimendhibs
21-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Really liked the look of Fraser Murray but hes not had a look in. Any of our regulars at development games know if hes off tbe boil or somnat?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scottie
21-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Where's Georgios Samaras these days when you need him :wink:

EVENTUALLY
21-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I said this the other week. No idea where he's disappeared to but he should be getting a look in.

You'll find him in the Pie Queue at half time in the Upper West whenever he has not made the bench from the squad. He will be a player, very classy.

Paisley Hibby
21-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Why? Do you know what has happened with Stokes? If so please tell. If you don't then why do you say 100% no way back for him?

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Why? Do you know what has happened with Stokes? If so please tell. If you don't then why do you say 100% no way back for him?

He’s obviously done something worthy of being punted out of a vital derby match by the manager. Reports of him being continually late for training are not good. Let’s also remember he missed Hamilton away due to another disciplinary issue. Fair to say I don’t think there’s any way back from this now for Stokes, if there was Lennon would’ve said so when he had the chance.

Paisley Hibby
21-01-2018, 10:00 PM
He’s obviously done something worthy of being punted out of a vital derby match by the manager. Reports of him being continually late for training are not good. Let’s also remember he missed Hamilton away due to another disciplinary issue. Fair to say I don’t think there’s any way back from this now for Stokes, if there was Lennon would’ve said so when he had the chance.
That sounds mostly like rumour and innuendo rather than fact. It might be true but we don't really know. As for today, all we know is he wasn't in the squad and Lennon said his head was not in the right place. That could mean a number of things, not just "being punted". Stokes is our most talented player. Yes, he's flawed but if he wasn't there's no way we could have afforded him. I also guess he's not the nicest guy to have around. But I'd be very reluctant to give up with him - unless there are some facts (rather than rumour/speculation) which justify binning him.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 10:03 PM
That sounds mostly like rumour and innuendo rather than fact. It might be true but we don't really know. As for today, all we know is he wasn't in the squad and Lennon said his head was not in the right place. That could mean a number of things, not just "being punted". Stokes is our most talented player. Yes, he's flawed but if he wasn't there's no way we could have afforded him. I also guess he's not the nicest guy to have around. But I'd be very reluctant to give up with him - unless there are some facts (rather than rumour/speculation) which justify binning him.

Even though ITK posters are saying he's causing resentment and regular disharmony in the camp ?

He's gone :aok: Hero to zero in less than 6 months :agree:

Paisley Hibby
21-01-2018, 10:11 PM
Even though ITK posters are saying he's causing resentment and regular disharmony in the camp ?

He's gone :aok: Hero to zero in less than 6 months :agree:
But if that's true it's bad news so I don't understand why you'd be so happy about it? I've no idea whether "ITK" posters really are ITK or are just repeating gossip.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 10:19 PM
But if that's true it's bad news so I don't understand why you'd be so happy about it? I've no idea whether "ITK" posters really are ITK or are just repeating gossip.

I'm 'happy' because we are getting an utter rocket out our club who has caused nothing but problems - happy to have players who turn up on time, want to play for the jersey, and don't take the utter **** as he has done. Even a manager who has cut him the most slack in his career has washed his hands - that should in itself tell you something.

Today wasn't all about Anthony Stokes - but tell you what, he shoulders a lot of the blame, as many other players do for their antics. Maybe it's a good wee watershed moment and the club, which did rid itself of this, continues to draw the line at adults acting like wee silly laddies on a school trip :aok:

hibsbollah
21-01-2018, 11:08 PM

:agree: I just can't understand why some people can't see it. He's got the look of a young Steven Fletcher to me. He just needs some players going past him.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 11:16 PM
:agree: I just can't understand why some people can't see it. He's got the look of a young Steven Fletcher to me. He just needs some players going past him.

Or a Grant Holt type who has genuinely been there and done it :agree: and drinks coffee and doesn't set off fire alarms with his mates :faf:

I think OS will be a great player but he needs experience up top and a settled formation to flourish. Played in a two, ideal - asking a youth player to play up top on his own, never going to work.

For me, Hibs play best in a 3-5-2 with an experienced guy up top. Whether that be a Farid or Holt type - we need to invest in a player who has experienced everything and can pass this on. Keep saying it over the years but getting Kenny Miller in would have been a master stoke - but that ship sailed.

Shaw will come good there's no doubt about it.

delbert
22-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Wer're struggling to score goals, so sign a guy who couldnt even get a game today and have our main goal scorer not even on the bench. Only Hibs. Farcical.

Certainly really strange - Hearts sign a couple on loan and both play their part, we sign three and all of them end up spectators, I’m afraid I just don’t get that - if you’ve signed them to play, put them on, if they are not fit, they shouldn’t be sitting on the bench - heres a thought for Mathie/Craig etc, how about identifying a centre forward who can actually start when we bring them in, is that really so hard ? Our opponents didn’t seem to think so yesterday !!

Tornadoes70
22-01-2018, 12:05 PM

I posted before Sunday he reminds me more of a young Keith Keith Keith. If he turns out to be more like Fletch then that's excellent also.

Whatever comparisons we make of this extremely talented young forward the future is bright with prospects like Ollie coming through and grasping the opportunity to shine with working hard to make the first team which undoubtedly he is.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

IlDiavola
22-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Fraser Murray worth a wee run? I think so.

Better option than the Stokes we've had to endure for weeks now. At least Murray will push forward out of a midfield position and join or go ahead of the other striker. Stokes thought he was a midfielder most of the time or maybe it was because he couldn't be bothered :dunno:

pacoluna
22-01-2018, 05:36 PM

I thought Shaw linked up really well with stokes for the short time they played together.

ancient hibee
22-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Or a Grant Holt type who has genuinely been there and done it :agree: and drinks coffee and doesn't set off fire alarms with his mates :faf:

I think OS will be a great player but he needs experience up top and a settled formation to flourish. Played in a two, ideal - asking a youth player to play up top on his own, never going to work.

For me, Hibs play best in a 3-5-2 with an experienced guy up top. Whether that be a Farid or Holt type - we need to invest in a player who has experienced everything and can pass this on. Keep saying it over the years but getting Kenny Miller in would have been a master stoke - but that ship sailed.

Shaw will come good there's no doubt about it.
If you don’t mind me saying so you’re totally missing the point about Shaw.It didn’t work yesterday because of the people around him.He constantly got the ball in the air,he laid on an open goal and he made good runs and didn’t get the ball.If it had been a more experienced player it wouldn’t have made any difference.The players,particularly the midfielders,around him were mince.Never mind McGinn and McGeouch not getting into the penalty area they seldom get the ball there either.

MacGruber
22-01-2018, 07:24 PM
If you don’t mind me saying so you’re totally missing the point about Shaw.It didn’t work yesterday because of the people around him.He constantly got the ball in the air,he laid on an open goal and he made good runs and didn’t get the ball.If it had been a more experienced player it wouldn’t have made any difference.The players,particularly the midfielders,around him were mince.Never mind McGinn and McGeouch not getting into the penalty area they seldom get the ball there either.

Let's face it the team was all to hell
Goalie
3 centre backs
Stevenson
4 central.midfielders
1 winger on the wrong side
1 striker, inexperienced youth up top on his own

That was 2 offensive players.

It was never going to work

Stokes would have played.
Murray played last time Stokes missed gave them problems - our top scorer who scored our goal
McLaren new signing
Big Dave
Barker
Swanson

We were so negative and got what we deserved

Shaw should never have started on his own up top, weight of the team on his shoulders. However - I like Shaw, bright future..He needs nurtured and protected though not thrown to the slaughter

ancient hibee
22-01-2018, 09:30 PM
You also miss the point.Shaw did perfectly well in the game.There was no support from midfield,he constantly head flicked the ball on,he laid on a sitter and never received a pass when he was making a run or in position.In other words he played the role perfectly well and was let down by those around him.An experienced player would have done no better given the failings .

22-01-2018, 10:57 PM
We're playing our forwards too deep going forward. We've got two wide players that can walz past defenders but won't take the ball to the line and cross it, because of that our strikers are being drawn to the corners instead of getting themselves into goal scoring positions. Just cross the ****ing ball.

This, plus I'd be saying to Shaw/MacLaren/Murray, Barker and Boyle that as soon as you can see McGinn is shaping up to send a long ball to Boyle (or Barker) I want the other 3 to sprint into the box ASAP to anticipate a cross. Barker or Boyle must get a cross in, none of this turning back and playing a short pass backwards. If there's no Hibs player anywhere near the box then just take the man on or cut inside and shoot. I don't mind too much if a player hits a bad shot or it gets blocked, better that than no shot at all.

I get frustrated when we get a quick ball to Boyle, whose first touch receiving long balls has been brilliant lately, and we end up allowing the opposition defence to get back and organised and we are then passing it around trying to create an opening. We usually end up getting tackled or when we do get a shot away it gets blocked easily. If we can get a shot away earlier it has a much better chance of at least being deflected past the keeper or rebounding and the loose ball falling to one of our players arriving in the box.

We seem to place too much importance on keeping possession, which would be fine if we were 2 goals ahead but how often in the league this season have we been that? 4 - Partick, Rangers, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. Not often enough.