PDA

View Full Version : Derby psychology

SirDavidsNapper
20-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Hearts haven't beaten Hibs in so long. Is that something the manager will use in his briefings to players? That no matter what Hearts do, if Hibs play to their strengths they wont beat us? If i was a manager i'd be using it as a psychological tool to get in the players heads and create that derby confidence.

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2018, 05:40 PM
In derby matches unbeaten runs don't count for much IMO .... every one is different. Having said that there's no doubt that our players know they can go to the PBS and get a result. Since the last derby the Yams have lost Walker and will be without Laugherty, on the plus side for them will be the return of wonderkid Cochrane and the inclusion of Naismith, who in spite of talk of him being past it is a positive addition for them from a psychological POV. You then have the unknown quantity of the new guy at left back .... he cant be bad if he has a contract at Man Utd, but the derby is a far cry from the English central league north or whatever he is used to playing in.

From our POV we have a new striker the Yams will have no first hand knowledge of, Barker available to play and a striker in Oli Shaw with something to prove after being denied the winner in the last game by Mr Magoo. The unknowable is how has the Stokes saga affected the dressing room, if at all. If Stokes does play will he finally rise to the occasion in a big game? ..... If he was to it could make all the difference.

I think the psychology is evenly balanced on both sides for this one.

Vini1875
20-01-2018, 06:59 PM
I would be saying too many draws, we must show them we are better by winning, we are better so let's show it. They only try to stop us playing, because they know if they try to much us for football we will win. We're better and we have to prove it.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Hearts are well and truly a Craig Levein side now. Cathro frailty and Neilson's **** bags are gone. It's a completely different mentality now and make no mistake, their pre match teamto will be off sheer hatred for us

That being said, they offered nothing in the last game and their 2 most influential players going in to that game, are either gone or suspended!

We need to stick to our game plan. Pass the ball at tempo. Don't take 3 touches when 2 will do. And whatever we've been doing in training, please have spent some time learning the ****ing offside trap!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Levein will just be telling them his usual tactics, foul Hibs players in their own half then get 11 men behind the ball to defend the free-kick. The number of bookings they avoid by constantly fouling in the other teams half is amazing.

20-01-2018, 07:06 PM
I know that when they were on top, they talked about it for weeks beforehand. The mentality was “in about these fenian bar stewards, nothing else matters” and that was told to me by a former Hearts staff member. I’m not sure we will be at that stage but I’m sure the players have had an eye on this game for a while

Crab apple
20-01-2018, 07:58 PM
There’s no way we’ll go into this game with any inferiority complex. We’re above them in the league and they haven’t beaten us in 10 games. We’re the bookies favourites and most pundits seem to be predicting a draw. Levein by nature is a *****bag and will set them up not to get beat. They’ll rely on Naismith just like they’ve done with Lafferty in previous derbies. We’ve got a number of players that can hurt them. It’ll be close but I’m confident we’ll get a result.

Thecat23
20-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Plays a huge part, the boys know how to win and will want this run to continue. Hearts players will be under real pressure. Longer it goes the better for us. Lennon will defo mention it!

southern hibby
21-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Just seen a phot on Facebook from last night of the pitch and if it was taken yesterday then the pitch is looking in good condition. As I said if the phot was taken yesterday ( would do a link but don’t know how to ). Next thing don’t know how well the pitch will stay looking good or how bad it will cut up.

Not sure why but really do feel today Hibs are going to put a team away and get a thoroughly convincing win by at least 2 goals.

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
21-01-2018, 09:33 AM
]In derby matches unbeaten runs don't count for much IMO [/B].... every one is different. Having said that there's no doubt that our players know they can go to the PBS and get a result. Since the last derby the Yams have lost Walker and will be without Laugherty, on the plus side for them will be the return of wonderkid Cochrane and the inclusion of Naismith, who in spite of talk of him being past it is a positive addition for them from a psychological POV. You then have the unknown quantity of the new guy at left back .... he cant be bad if he has a contract at Man Utd, but the derby is a far cry from the English central league north or whatever he is used to playing in.

From our POV we have a new striker the Yams will have no first hand knowledge of, Barker available to play and a striker in Oli Shaw with something to prove after being denied the winner in the last game by Mr Magoo. The unknowable is how has the Stokes saga affected the dressing room, if at all. If Stokes does play will he finally rise to the occasion in a big game? ..... If he was to it could make all the difference.

I think the psychology is evenly balanced on both sides for this one.

Totally disagree Hearts went on two very long runs against Hibs and it was definitely a mental issue for Hibs players a bit like the Scottish cup. Look at Evertons record at Anfield defo mental problem. Also when hubs went on a long run against Hearts in the 70's Hibs scored late in a few games to win or draw Hearts always felt more pressure then as did Hibs during Hearts runs.