PDA

View Full Version : Hibs couldn’t afford Naismith - Lennon

timewilltell
19-01-2018, 11:24 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/neil-lennon-hibs-couldn-t-have-afforded-steven-naismith-1-4666725

Hermit Crab
19-01-2018, 11:28 PM
I'm not really bothered if we could afford him or not, our neighbours will find he drains the club of precious funds so no more signings for them imo.

CallumLaidlaw
19-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Good. I wouldn’t want us *****ing close to £300k on a 5 month loan deal.

And it has nothing to do with 3 seasons in the Prem. They’ve wasted the Walker money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huggie1875
19-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Avril almost admitted he was brought in for the derby and they were paying more than they really should be

Bostonhibby
19-01-2018, 11:48 PM

And it has nothing to do with 3 seasons in the Prem. They’ve wasted the Walker money.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEspecially if we had a half built stand to eventually finish off.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibbymick
19-01-2018, 11:52 PM
I hope he pulls a hamstring or worse.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£15000 a week?

Surely not!

horseflesh
19-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Reading between the lines, he’s saying what a waste of cash. Good player definitely but he’s not gonna win them this cup tie.

Firestarter
20-01-2018, 12:05 AM
This isn't going to end well.

The_Horde
20-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Reading between the lines, he’s saying what a waste of cash. Good player definitely but he’s not gonna win them this cup tie.

Yep he's actually slating them for chuckling it all at one player.

Delboy4
20-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Same old Hearts, always chucking the money about that they don’t have..!

They are so desperate

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2018, 12:10 AM

Don't worry kid, the oďds on him having any influence in the game are massively in our favour.

BigT-Hibeez
20-01-2018, 12:11 AM
£15000 a week?

Surely not!

£10k a week is what I heard..

Cod Boy
20-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Hearts are throwing money away they are that desperate to beat us. Had they had a home tie against a lower league team this deal wouldn't have happened.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2018, 12:27 AM

Even that is unreal for them considering the money troubles they had about 4 or 5 years ago!

20-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Avril almost admitted he was brought in for the derby and they were paying more than they really should be

If they've been clever about it they've got a clause in the contract that allows them to sub-loan Naismith to another team. They'll still have 10 days after they are out before the transfer window closes.

truehibernian
20-01-2018, 12:53 AM

Why ? They've failed to agree terms with our new signing, a Dutch striker they wanted for the derby - and signed Naismith. Lost Walker, no Lafferty. Does that not tell you something ?

We have more than enough in our armoury to beat them - including Barker :wink: Can't wait for Sunday, we have more than enough to beat Hearts :aok:

Charliemurdhibs
20-01-2018, 01:06 AM
yeah 10K a week i've heard aswell, does that mean hes still on his 30k a week :confused: or whatever it was, must surely be highest paid player in SPFL

The Harp
20-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Heard he was on an incredible £50k a week at Norwich, and that they'll still be paying him £40k with the Yams chipping in £5k. He's prepared to lose £5k a week just to pull on that horrendous maroon shirt. Nae taste!

Tornadoes70
20-01-2018, 01:21 AM
yeah 10K a week i've heard aswell, does that mean hes still on his 30k a week :confused: or whatever it was, must surely be highest paid player in SPFL

10 thousand a week to hire him for a few months from Norwich won't make him the highest paid player in the SPFL.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Charliemurdhibs
20-01-2018, 01:30 AM
10 thousand a week to hire him for a few months from Norwich won't make him the highest paid player in the SPFL.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

No but i mean his overall wage, Norwich included. absolute crazy money

lapsedhibee
20-01-2018, 01:34 AM
No but i mean his overall wage, Norwich included. absolute crazy money
Not really. Sanchez expects £400k a week and if you put eight Naismiths up against Sanchez the Naismiths would win.

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Hibs wont break our wage limit to sign any player no matter who it is. This is an absolute gamble by the Yams, they are spending money on Naismith they could have used to bring in a couple of decent proven premiership players only in the hope that it will get them through the cup tie. They are going to look bloody silly if it doesn't work.

They have a massive overspend on that new stand and since it was opened their crowds have hardly been any bigger than before. They haven't even made a cup semi final, never mind final, in years so the question has to be asked, where is the breaking point for that club? At what point does the money simply dry up?

I don't care if it makes me look like a 'bitter Hobo' or not ..... It enrages every fibre of my being as a football fan, never mind as a Hibby, that that club after all the folk they stiffed barely 3 years later appear to be in a position where they can spend £15,000,000 on a new stand and still find £5,000 a week for one players wages, never mind the £10,000 which has been talked about.

Apart from that cup final I don't think I have ever wanted to see Hibs win a derby more than this one ..... I will lose any faith I ever had in Karmic justice if we lose this Sunday, especially if Naismith makes a telling contribution to that happening.

Deansy
20-01-2018, 02:07 AM

They are so desperate

And meanwhile, our esteemed governing-authority says nothing whilst 2 of the country's biggest clubs - no strangers to recent administration/liquidation problems - once again repeat the same behaviour that got them into trouble the first time around !

20-01-2018, 02:09 AM
Lennon needs to be careful about feeding their big team mentality. Personally I’m terrified about facing Naismith and Hearts and he should be too. I remember a similar feeling after their postponement before the hanlon derby, and I remember another feeling of overwhelming dread after they signed 9 players before last years cup game.

Given they are such an enormous club, I doubt they’d make such magnificent strategic moves purely to avoid a defeat by their city rivals. We need to just hope that our plucky band of misfits can overcome their superstars destined for bigger things.

Hibee87
20-01-2018, 02:21 AM

They are so desperate

They do have it though. They are literally throwing all their walker money at naymarsmith on beating us. Desperate as you say

20-01-2018, 02:28 AM
They do have it though. They are literally throwing all their walker money at naymarsmith on beating us. Desperate as you say

They might as well, their season is over if they lose. Half of them say so themselves.

Smartie
20-01-2018, 02:29 AM
Beautifully subtle mind games.

That's a lot of money for them to be splashing. We could deal them a hammer blow by getting a result in the cup.

Unseen work
20-01-2018, 05:13 AM
Hearts fans will read that as they are in a better position to us.

But to me I see that as Lennon saying we have a good squad and we can’t justify paying that amount of money on one player.

Technically we could afford it as it’s probably what 250-300k over the 6 months?

However would we rather spend it on him, or get a couple of players in much needed positions and strengthen the team as a whole. For us it’s the latter.

FWIW I think it’s a very good signing and would have taken him here.

Folk seem to just say he is a grafter which imo is an insult, you don’t play premiership football for years based on graft.

He does have quality and I’m happy Neil Lennon and our players will recognise it.

Underestimating Naismith wouldn’t end well for us.

FilipinoHibs
20-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Hearts fans will read that as they are in a better position to us.

But to me I see that as Lennon saying we have a good squad and we can’t justify paying that amount of money on one player.

Technically we could afford it as it’s probably what 250-300k over the 6 months?

However would we rather spend it on him, or get a couple of players in much needed positions and strengthen the team as a whole. For us it’s the latter.

FWIW I think it’s a very good signing and would have taken him here.

Folk seem to just say he is a grafter which imo is an insult, you don’t play premiership football for years based on graft.

He does have quality and I’m happy Neil Lennon and our players will recognise it.

Underestimating Naismith wouldn’t end well for us.

Less than 5 goals a season average since he left Killie.

147lothian
20-01-2018, 07:24 AM
A win tomorrow and its going to be lot of fun watching them unravel, I can see it being the end of Levein and with no room to change a sub standard squad for whoever they bring in with the drain on resources this signing presents, we will own the Capital

LeithMike
20-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Maybe more accurate to say he's affordable to Hearts because of the historic debt they've had written off!

Naismith may well score tomorrow but he's no more than an industrious player and is not blessed with pace, skill or strength in any great abundance. Certainly not worth £10k a week in Scotland never mind £40k a week in England (but a lot of average players get that money in England).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
20-01-2018, 08:47 AM
We could hammer them 7-0 again and Levein would still be untouchable. He’s going nowhere.

Aldo
20-01-2018, 08:54 AM
They have signed a decent player however this signing reeks of utter desperation.

I can guarantee if they had been playing any other PL or even lower league team then this signing would never have happened!

We will have enough to beat them.

I do wonder what style of Hoofball they will play given SN isn't the tallest!

grunt
20-01-2018, 08:54 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/neil-lennon-hibs-couldn-t-have-afforded-steven-naismith-1-4666725
Does the Scotsman not bother proof reading its articles any more?

hibsbollah
20-01-2018, 09:02 AM
I've always liked Naismith as a player. But I think the pundits 'massive statement of intent' chat is just what they do when non Rantic teams buy a player that the sportsound crew have heard of before. What concerns us of course, is what kind of nick Naismith is in tomorrow, after half a season of not getting a game at Norwich. There will be 19 other outfield players running into each other at ridiculous speeds on a rutted pitch... I doubt if one new player is going to make much difference either way in all the chaos.

Looper
20-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Is this the same Naismith that Norwich fans were buzzing to see leave the club?

we are hibs
20-01-2018, 09:35 AM
My only concern about Naismith tomorrow is him diving to win a penalty. He has a track record of it.

HibbyAndy
20-01-2018, 09:39 AM
My only concern about Naismith tomorrow is him diving to win a penalty. He has a track record of it.

:agree:

He's a horrible little in your face diving **** ! Always moaning at the Ref and sly little kicks here and there , An absolute match made in heaven for Hearts, We will still beat them though as we have better players all over the park

Onion
20-01-2018, 09:51 AM
This is a big punt by Levein. If they beat us on Sun, and they go on to overtake us in the League, it will indeed be seen as a "coup". If we beat them Sun, Levein will be hounded out.

You can smell their desperation from here :greengrin

tamig
20-01-2018, 10:30 AM
This is a big punt by Levein. If they beat us on Sun, and they go on to overtake us in the League, it will indeed be seen as a "coup". If we beat them Sun, Levein will be hounded out.

You can smell their desperation from here :greengrin

They never learn. Took a massive gamble in the January window last year after they drew us in the Cup. Strategy has changed this time around in that the cash is all being gambled on one player.

Pretty Boy
20-01-2018, 10:35 AM
'Hibs weren't willing to or interested in spending the entire budget for January on a player with several question marks about him'.

Probably a more accurate thread title.

Ryan69
20-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Lennon needs to be careful about feeding their big team mentality. Personally I’m terrified about facing Naismith and Hearts and he should be too. I remember a similar feeling after their postponement before the hanlon derby, and I remember another feeling of overwhelming dread after they signed 9 players before last years cup game.

Given they are such an enormous club, I doubt they’d make such magnificent strategic moves purely to avoid a defeat by their city rivals. We need to just hope that our plucky band of misfits can overcome their superstars destined for bigger things.

Naismith has an average of 4.5 goals a season over the last 10 years.

Monktonhall 7
20-01-2018, 11:03 AM
They have signed a decent player however this signing reeks of utter desperation.

I can guarantee if they had been playing any other PL or even lower league team then this signing would never have happened!

We will have enough to beat them.

I do wonder what style of Hoofball they will play given SN isn't the tallest!

It's a desperate signing to try an win one game. Typical from them, and totally pathetic. Reminds me of the Old Huns signing Torre Andre Flo.

SirDavidsNapper
20-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Sheer and utter desperation spending 300k on a loan. Might work but id piss myself laughing if we knock them out

Jack
20-01-2018, 11:13 AM
It's a desperate signing to try an win one game. Typical from them, and totally pathetic. Reminds me of the Old Huns signing Torre Andre Flo.

Three of the worst strikers to play for the old team.

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Desperate measures for a desperate outfit

BullsCloseHibs
20-01-2018, 11:19 AM

it is indeed:agree:

anything to beat us. Desperate.

Sioux
20-01-2018, 11:55 AM
He scored 33 goals in 140 games for the big huns. For every 4.2 games he played he scored once, in a team that was winning most weeks. I'm sure that the Hibs players are ****ting themselves right enough.

CraigHibee
20-01-2018, 02:49 PM
'Hibs weren't willing to or interested in spending the entire budget for January on a player with several question marks about him'.

Probably a more accurate thread title.

Agree with that mate

where'stheslope
20-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Naismith has an average of 4.5 goals a season over the last 10 years.

I agree that his goals tally is low, but its in England that it falls down, in Scotland he had a far better record.

Our main worry is not to allow him to hit the ground running, first game for new team only 2 days together with them, we need no slips to let him in at the back!!!

givescotlandfreedom
20-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Hearts are throwing money away they are that desperate to beat us. Had they had a home tie against a lower league team this deal wouldn't have happened.

They did last year but got papped out by said team anyway :D

bruno
20-01-2018, 04:41 PM
it is indeed:agree:

anything to beat us. Desperate.

Miles away

Think people have been caught up on the story of Norwich wanting a £10k contribution towards his salary

Norwich are getting the £10k but it is being mostly subsidised by Naismith himself with Hearts paying £4K

Tornadoes70
20-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Miles away

Think people have been caught up on the story of Norwich wanting a £10k contribution towards his salary

Norwich are getting the £10k but it is being mostly subsidised by Naismith himself with Hearts paying £4K

Doesn't really matter what the factual amount is whether its 20k or 4k a week being paid by the yams to Norwich. Still a very bad piece of business paying out money on so called 'marquee' signings which has been done only to try to prevent us reaching ten in a row.

Your club and particularly Potter is obsessed with us and here's hoping we end your season once more tomorrow by horsing you out the SC three years on the trot.

:greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Here we go ten in a row

Deansy
20-01-2018, 05:13 PM

It'll be no different to playing Hearts when Walker was in their team !

Ryan69
20-01-2018, 05:18 PM
I agree that his goals tally is low, but its in England that it falls down, in Scotland he had a far better record.

Our main worry is not to allow him to hit the ground running, first game for new team only 2 days together with them, we need no slips to let him in at the back!!!

His record here was 1 in 4 at a extremely dominant Rangers team was it not?

Which is hardly amazing.

bruno
20-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Doesn't really matter what the factual amount is whether its 20k or 4k a week being paid by the yams to Norwich. Still a very bad piece of business paying out money on so called 'marquee' signings which has been done only to try to prevent us reaching ten in a row.

Your club and particularly Potter is obsessed with us and here's hoping we end your season once more tomorrow by horsing you out the SC three years on the trot.

:greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Here we go ten in a row
What’s the difference between Hibs bringing in their striker and Hearts bringing in theirs this week
Surely it’s about getting best team you can on he park
Would rather any player arrived first week not last of the window
Surely you want your best players longest and we had to replace Walker
Call it obsession or calll it wanting to win big games either way I’m happier Naismith is here now

Callum_62
20-01-2018, 05:25 PM
What’s the difference between Hibs bringing in their striker and Hearts bringing in theirs this week
Call it obsession or calll it wanting to win big games either way I’m happier Naismith is here now

as would any team that signed him, lets be honest here lads!

Tornadoes70
20-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Walker was easily your most skillful player who couldn't wait to get out and away from the piggery. Your club could have used the money to get rid of the likes of Malaury Martin etc and replaced them with fresher legs than those of Steven Naismith whose just another washed up ex hun type who Potter just loves to snap up.

I don't really care anyhow as long as our team turn up tomorrow and leave with ten in row in the bag.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Here we go ten in a row

Onion
20-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Lennon's been cute in his comments, suggesting Hearts have paid over the odds.

While the Yams' chances tomorrow have improved, the pressure on them and Levien remains unrelenting and arguably greater than it was before SN signing. Expectation among the Yam players and their fans will have gone up even more than normal. The fall out could be just as entertaining as the match :greengrin

Deansy
20-01-2018, 06:05 PM

While the Yams' chances tomorrow have improved, the pressure on them and Levien remains unrelenting and arguably greater than it was before SN signing. Expectation among the Yam players and their fans will have gone up even more than normal. The fall out could be just as entertaining as the match :greengrin

Componding the pressure on him, Levein knows, deep-down inside, that player-for-player, Hibs are the better team - Naismith's arrival won't change this fact.

truehibernian
20-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Not sure their chances have improved Onion - Lafferty is out, Walker now gone and they've added Naismith (good player but not fully match fit) and an untried and untested Man United academy player.

We've added two internationals if you want to add some context.

I think tomorrow will be a very tough game, derbies always are - the pitch could actually be a major issue for both sides. Cannot wait though, love these games :greengrin:thumbsup:

SRHibs
20-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Hope Bartley goes through him in the first minute and crocks him for 6 months.

Aldo
20-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Miles away Think people have been caught up on the story of Norwich wanting a £10k contribution towards his salary Norwich are getting the £10k but it is being mostly subsidised by Naismith himself with Hearts paying £4K

They are paying 7.5k or what I was told!

I'm not usually ITK but was told this by someone at work whose got connections at a Tiny park

bruno
20-01-2018, 07:21 PM
They are paying 7.5k or what I was told!

I'm not usually ITK but was told this by someone at work whose got connections at a Tiny park

No worries
I was told by an agent admittedly not his but someone who has dealings with Hearts and also knows what our wage structure limit is

Aldo
20-01-2018, 07:24 PM
No worries I was told by an agent admittedly not his but someone who has dealings with Hearts and also knows what our wage structure limit is

Fair dos! I don't know just passing on what I was told.

It's fair to say it's still a lot

Eaststandee
20-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Miles away

If you believed that I don't think you would feel the need to come on here and be so nice to let us all know.

bigwheel
20-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Miles away

That doesn't make sense.....he wouldn't contribute to the 10k....he would just agree a wage reduction.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
20-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Surely.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2018, 08:24 PM
That doesn't make sense.....he wouldn't contribute to the 10k....he would just agree a wage reduction.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does wee 'Naisy' (does a lot for charity you know), just tell Norwich to keep 6 of the reported 46k they are shelling out every week?
No wonder they surely want rid.

Navids Numpties
20-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Hearts paying 10k a week and Norwich paying 50k a week of his wages supposedly, they’ll be in admin again before we know it

CropleyWasGod
20-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Hearts paying 10k a week and Norwich paying 50k a week of his wages supposedly, they’ll be in admin again before we know it

And now we're up to £60k pw? :greengrin

lapsedhibee
20-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Yes but they like to couch things in terms of people paying money to themselves. Or that Naismith is paying £6k a week for the privilege of playing for such a big club. Roasters!