PDA

View Full Version : Var

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Chelsea v Norwich. Tonight. Ref books Willian for diving. There was contact and it could have been a pen. VAR reckoned it wasn’t a clear mistake by the ref (ie it’s the refs interpretation of the incident) so no pen. The booking was harsh I thought.

Ps they’re into extra time after a well deserved 94th minute equaliser from. Norwich.
Angus Gunn is having a very good game tonight. A chip of the old block?

HibbyAndy
17-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Norwich dominating

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Chelsea v Norwich. Tonight. Ref books Willian for diving. There was contact and it could have been a pen. VAR reckoned it wasn’t a clear mistake by the ref (ie it’s the refs interpretation of the incident) so no pen. The booking was harsh I thought.

Ps they’re into extra time after a well deserved 94th minute equaliser from. Norwich.

I thought it was a penalty first time I saw it and wasn’t sure if they had been to VAR or not - by not telling everyone they’re checking it seems a bit confusing for everyone.

Mr White
17-01-2018, 10:11 PM
I thought it was one of those where there is contact but it's not a foul. Could have been given though and the yellow was a bit harsh.

Unlike Pedro's yellow earlier in the match which was fully deserved. Cheating *******.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:14 PM
I thought it was a penalty first time I saw it and wasn’t sure if they had been to VAR or not - by not telling everyone they’re checking it seems a bit confusing for everyone.

I don’t think the VAR gets involved unless it’s a clear cock up or if the ref asks for help. I think the ref thought his decision was correct and didn’t need help. It wasn’t 100% a clear pen so var wouldn’t intervene. I think they thought he was going down before the.contact.

Vault Boy
17-01-2018, 10:16 PM
On the ball City

Sir David Gray
17-01-2018, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure how much more blatant it could have been to be honest.

Quite incredible that we can have video evidence in place and a player still gets booked for diving when he should have had a penalty.

I know the technology and the implementation of it is still in the early days but hopefully this kind of thing can be ironed out.

Mr White
17-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Haha cheerio Pedro.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:27 PM

Quite incredible that we can have video evidence in place and a player still gets booked for diving when he should have had a penalty.

I know the technology and the implementation of it is still in the early days but hopefully this kind of thing can be ironed out.
That’s the thing tho. Yes there was contact but was it a foul? I think he was already stumbling down and the contact didn’t initiate it. In that case it’s not a clear mistake from the ref and it’s definitely down to interpretation of the incident. In that case the ref gets the final say (as it should be). I actually think the ref has had a decent game other than the yellow for that incident.
He’s sent Pedro off so it’s even better from him.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:29 PM
The night would be topped off with both Hazard and sideshow bob missing pens.

Mr White
17-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Another yellow for simulation and subsequent red... Morata :tee hee:

The Spaceman
17-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Morata now off! This is priceless they have the technology but aren't using it!

Come on Norwich.

Mr White
17-01-2018, 10:33 PM

Come on Norwich.

I think he's got it spot on without video assistance. "Entitled to go down" is a truly horrible phrase. Chucking yourself to the ground under little or no contact should be punished so well done to tonight's ref.

bringbackbenny
17-01-2018, 10:34 PM
I think he's got it spot on without video assistance. "Entitled to go down" is a truly horrible phrase. Chucking yourself to the ground under little or no contact should be punished so well done to tonight's ref.

Spot on. Chelsea really are a bunch of moaning gits 😂

Hulk1875
17-01-2018, 10:35 PM
The game has turned into chaos!!!

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 10:36 PM
‘Mon Bryan Gunn’s laddie.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:36 PM

Come on Norwich.
Doesn’t need to. That’s a Dive.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Spot on.

Pretty Boy

Until refs start giving free kicks and penalties for fouls when a player does stay on his feet it will keep happening.

Anyway it's good to see this VAR put an end to refereeing controversy.

Danderhall Hibs
Doesn’t need to. That’s a Dive.

:agree: they might’ve used it and decided it was a dive.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Until refs start giving free kicks and penalties for fouls when a player does stay on his feet it will keep happening.

Anyway it's good to see this VAR put an end to refereeing controversy.

It’ll be interesting to see what they say they never gave the penalty for.

Vault Boy
17-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Mon the boys. Gunn to save three in a row.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2018, 10:40 PM
That’s the thing tho. Yes there was contact but was it a foul? I think he was already stumbling down and the contact didn’t initiate it. In that case it’s not a clear mistake from the ref and it’s definitely down to interpretation of the incident. In that case the ref gets the final say (as it should be). I actually think the ref has had a decent game other than the yellow for that incident.
He’s sent Pedro off so it’s even better from him.

I personally thought it was a blatant foul and penalty. One thing he absolutely didn't do was dive but I know VAR can't be used for yellow cards.

I still can't understand how a penalty wasn't given.

Re the Morata incident, I don't think he dived either but I think a penalty would have been soft.

Pretty Boy
17-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Some save by Caballero

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Did Linekar not say it was the ABBA penalty system?

Mr White
17-01-2018, 10:43 PM
I personally thought it was a blatant foul and penalty. One thing he absolutely didn't do was dive but I know VAR can't be used for yellow cards.

Re the Morata incident, I don't think he dived either but I think a penalty would have been soft.

Looked pretty bad from the far side angle IMO.

Pretty Boy
17-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Chelseas penalties have all been top notch so far.

ancient hibee
17-01-2018, 10:46 PM

If everyone fell down the way footballers do at the slightest touch Princes Street would be littered with bodies.

Danderhall Hibs
Some cracking penalties. Even the one that was saved was a decent strike.

greenlex

He did but he’s a jug eared fool.

Vault Boy
17-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Shame.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Enjoyed that.

HoboHarry
17-01-2018, 10:51 PM
If everyone fell down the way footballers do at the slightest touch Princes Street would be littered with bodies.
Exactly. If it happened in a nightclub they would be swapping punches and not hitting the floor. Managers can criticize referees all they like but until they stop their own players from cheating there will continue to be be a problem.

angus hibby
17-01-2018, 10:54 PM
I thought the ref was very good tonight. After not giving Willian the penalty (rightly IMO), how often do you see the next penalty claim given. Morata went down far too easily so a booking was right for him too. A show of dissent from him and red card quickly out. If only more refs were like this, would soon put a stop to diving and dissent. Well played the ref 👏

Hibbyradge
17-01-2018, 10:58 PM

I thought he left his foot in so it caught the defenders leg, hence the clumsy way he fell.

If he'd wanted to avoid a collision he could have so no penalty for me.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Looked pretty bad from the far side angle IMO.

The defender definitely had a hand on his back. If it had happened in the middle of the park, it probably would have been a free kick.

Real Emerald
17-01-2018, 11:06 PM

I thought it was a penalty as the defender slid straight in front of the attacker, didn’t get the ball and caught the attackers foot which unbalanced him and impeded him from scoring. The attacker went down easily but had he tried to stay on his feet the illegal challenge would have denied him from trying to score. In my view a foul, in the box a penalty, VAR failed.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 11:07 PM
The defender definitely had a hand on his back. If it had happened in the middle of the park, it probably would have been a free kick.

The hand on his back didn’t cause him to fall like he did. It was s Dive. He could have been more clever and actually been awarded one. It was very similar to Sinclair’s against Motherwell.

silverhibee
17-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Angus Gunn is having a very good game tonight. A chip of the old block?

The way I seen the Wiian incident was that he was going down before the contact and dragged his foot to make the contact, actually thought the ref had a good game, and as you say, Gunn was superb for Norwich tonight, on loan from Man Citeh, very good prospect but will Citeh ever give him a chance.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 11:08 PM
I thought it was a penalty as the defender slid straight in front of the attacker, didn’t get the ball and caught the attackers foot which unbalanced him and impeded him from scoring. The attacker went down easily but had he tried to stay on his feet the illegal challenge would have denied him from trying to score. In my view a foul, in the box a penalty, VAR failed.

Did it fail though? I’ve just read elsewhere that var can only be used to over rule if it’s an obvious error - they must’ve deemed it wasn’t and given the 50/50 split on here they were probably right to?

Real Emerald
17-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Did it fail though? I’ve just read elsewhere that var can only be used to over rule if it’s an obvious error - they must’ve deemed it wasn’t and given the 50/50 split on here they were probably right to?

Said on tv it had been reviewed and no pen.

silverhibee
17-01-2018, 11:10 PM
I don’t think the VAR gets involved unless it’s a clear cock up or if the ref asks for help. I think the ref thought his decision was correct and didn’t need help. It wasn’t 100% a clear pen so var wouldn’t intervene. I think they thought he was going down before the.contact.

I'm no lip reader but it certainly looked like the ref shouted " it's my decision " to the Chelsea moaners.

silverhibee
17-01-2018, 11:12 PM

Correct

greenlex
17-01-2018, 11:12 PM
They are talking nonsense. It’s reviewed and it’s reviewed as not an obvious error. So therefore the refs decision stands and no pen.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2018, 11:13 PM

I know but on tv the co commentator also said surely they’re not using var to check if it’s a corner when clearly it was the penalty shout he was checking. And also on tv lineker said it was the Abba penalty system.

So basically the tv aren’t always correct. :greengrin

Real Emerald
17-01-2018, 11:16 PM
They are talking nonsense. It’s reviewed and it’s reviewed as not an obvious error. So therefore the refs decision stands and no pen.

So it’s like, we didn’t actually review it but if we had our decision would have been whatever. Kind of like ‘Bullseye’ and this is what you could’ve won 🙄

greenlex
17-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Correct. It’s only used on wrong decisions that are fact like the offside the other day. The goal was going to be chalked off for offside. A quick check and the linesman had factually called it incorrect and the goal stood. No grey area or officials interpretation. He was either off or on.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 11:21 PM
So it’s like, we didn’t actually review it but if we had our decision would have been whatever. Kind of like ‘Bullseye’ and this is what you could’ve won 🙄
Not really. It’s the refs decision. If it’s blatantly wrong they will be told. If it’s open to interpretation then the ref has the final say just like it’s always been. It’s your opinion and interpretation rather than fact his decisions were wrong.

Real Emerald
17-01-2018, 11:24 PM

I don’t know if you agree with it or not. If you can’t challenge the ref or VAR can’t intervene, what’s the point. Every old firm decision would not be reviewed if the ref didn’t think he was wrong, or am I not understanding the rules?

Eyrie
17-01-2018, 11:24 PM
I thought he left his foot in so it caught the defenders leg, hence the clumsy way he fell.

If he'd wanted to avoid a collision he could have so no penalty for me.

The way I seen the Wiian incident was that he was going down before the contact and dragged his foot to make the contact, actually thought the ref had a good game, and as you say, Gunn was superb for Norwich tonight, on loan from Man Citeh, very good prospect but will Citeh ever give him a chance.

Agree with both of you.

I get pissed off with players getting fouls when they are the ones initiating the contact and not the defender. Willian knew what he was doing and then made a meal of going down.

Real Emerald
17-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Agree with both of you.

I get pissed off with players getting fouls when they are the ones initiating the contact and not the defender. Willian knew what he was doing and then made a meal of going down.

The challenge would have been a free kick anywhere else on the park and no one would have questioned it. The fact he went down easy and was looking for the decision I agree with you, It was still a clumsy challenge not getting the ball and catching the attacker. Not easy eh? 😂

Alan62
17-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Top performance by that ref this evening in what was an entertaining, end to end game. I shouted 'penalty' both times and even initially thought the replays supported the penalty calls. From the ref's angles though, he got the first one spot on. The second one the Norwich defender does put his hand on Morata's shoulder but doesn't push him or pull him down. Morata takes the slightest bit of contact as permission to launch himself to the turf. Good call by the ref to book him for simulation. Even better call to book him again for the subsequent dissent. I think refs should do that much more often and I hate it when a player continues to dish out abuse to the ref after he's been booked.

greenlex
17-01-2018, 11:51 PM
I don’t know if you agree with it or not. If you can’t challenge the ref or VAR can’t intervene, what’s the point. Every old firm decision would not be reviewed if the ref didn’t think he was wrong, or am I not understanding the rules?
I think it’s only to be used for decisions of fact. Offside at goals. Penalties given inside or outside the box incorrectly Straight reds (I think) things like that. It don’t think it’s used for anything where an individuals interpretation of incidents is questioned.I think if the refs not sure he can ask. If he’s sure he won’t ask. His decision is final.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2018, 12:02 AM
I think it’s only to be used for decisions of fact. Offside at goals. Penalties given inside or outside the box incorrectly Straight reds (I think) things like that. It don’t think it’s used for anything where an individuals interpretation of incidents is questioned.I think if the refs not sure he can ask. If he’s sure he won’t ask. His decision is final.

The VAR can be used in any of the following scenarios;

1-Straight red cards
2-Mistaken identity
3-Penalties
4-Goals

It is possible for the VAR to contact the referee to inform him that they believe he has made an error with awarding a penalty but for the original decision to still stand.

Once the VAR has contacted the referee to say that they believe a mistake has been made, the referee then has 3 choices.

1-Immediately reverse his decision.
2-Review the incident on a monitor at the side of the pitch.
3-Stick to his original decision.

Basically the VAR can only advise the referee that they think a mistake has been made, but considering that they should only be getting involved when they believe a "clear and obvious error" has been made, I can't understand why any referee would ignore the advice of the VAR.

greenlex
18-01-2018, 07:33 AM

1-Straight red cards
2-Mistaken identity
3-Penalties
4-Goals

It is possible for the VAR to contact the referee to inform him that they believe he has made an error with awarding a penalty but for the original decision to still stand.

Once the VAR has contacted the referee to say that they believe a mistake has been made, the referee then has 3 choices.

Basically the VAR can only advise the referee that they think a mistake has been made, but considering that they should only be getting involved when they believe a "clear and obvious error" has been made, I can't understand why any referee would ignore the advice of the VAR.
Thanks for that. The guess the decisions last night were not so clear and obvious that the VAR would advise the ref he got them wrong.

Hibee87
18-01-2018, 08:31 AM

1-Straight red cards
2-Mistaken identity
3-Penalties
4-Goals

Point 3 makes no sense to me. If VAR says it needs reviewed or a Mistake has been made then it should be reviewd.
What happens if Oli Shaw goal was queried by the VAR and the ref says 'nae I dont want to review it'? He is then going to be accused of cheating, which with out refs is highly likely they wouldn't want to review their decisions due to their incompetence.

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Point 3 makes no sense to me. If VAR says it needs reviewed or a Mistake has been made then it should be reviewd.
What happens if Oli Shaw goal was queried by the VAR and the ref says 'nae I dont want to review it'? He is then going to be accused of cheating, which with out refs is highly likely they wouldn't want to review their decisions due to their incompetence.It wouldn't be reviewed by the VAR as goal-line technology would tell him it's a goal.

On the wider point, refusing to have it reviewed would be reflected in the disciplinary process, no?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hibee87
18-01-2018, 08:44 AM
It wouldn't be reviewed by the VAR as goal-line technology would tell him it's a goal.

On the wider point, refusing to have it reviewed would be reflected in the disciplinary process, no?

Good point :thumbsup:

Yes, if refusing to have it reviewed when it should have been should result in a the ref having to explain why he refused to review it publicly and also some sort of disciplinary.
Even without VAR I would like refs to explain themselves, they get FAR to much protection.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2018, 08:45 AM

It was an ABBA penalty system.

The winner takes it all.

PatHead
18-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Thought the ref got most, if not all the decisions correct. Hope the referee on Sunday is as strong and can see through their cheating and moaning at every decision.

jonty
18-01-2018, 09:22 AM

The winner takes it all.

or Dancing queen for the pirouette as he gracefully fell to the ground.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2018, 09:30 AM

The winner takes it all.

They thought it was but they were wrong. They used the normal penalty shootout last night.

easty
18-01-2018, 09:49 AM
It was 3 dives. The Willian one was the most convincing attempt of the three, but he's still dived.

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 09:55 AM
They thought it was but they were wrong. They used the normal penalty shootout last night.

Whoosh :greengrin

You've met your Waterloo there, SDG .....

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2018, 11:17 AM
I thought the ref was brilliant last night, Morata and Pedro rightly sent off, but i would have given the penalty against William.

Who'd be a ref? :greengrin

overdrive
18-01-2018, 12:46 PM
It wouldn't be reviewed by the VAR as goal-line technology would tell him it's a goal.

Not in the FA Cup. They don't use goal line technology in the FA Cup, only the Premiership. They are trialing VAR so that they don't have to implement GLT in the FA Cup as VAR is cheaper.

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Not in the FA Cup. They don't use goal line technology in the FA Cup, only the Premiership. They are trialing VAR so that they don't have to implement GLT in the FA Cup as VAR is cheaper.

It's all about the money, money, money then. :greengrin

worcesterhibby
18-01-2018, 01:18 PM

You don't think Morata Dived !!!! really ? all this proves is that VAR is mostly pointless, as I would have that down as a horrible, cheating dive every day of the week, but you don't think he dived...it's about opinions not fact most of the time.

Brunswickbill
18-01-2018, 01:23 PM
It was 3 dives. The Willian one was the most convincing attempt of the three, but he's still dived.

I agree. Commentator said”He had every right to go down.” Can’t find that “right” in the rules of football. It explains what is meant by a player “winning” a penalty

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2018, 01:34 PM
You don't think Morata Dived !!!! really ? all this proves is that VAR is mostly pointless, as I would have that down as a horrible, cheating dive every day of the week, but you don't think he dived...it's about opinions not fact most of the time.

Of course he dived. :agree: If anyone can explain to me why someone's legs go from underneath them when someone puts their hands on their arm or shoulder, i might change my mind.

ancient hibee
18-01-2018, 01:39 PM
It’s a rare phobia which causes strong athletes to throw themselves to the ground if approached by anyone wearing a different coloured shirt.

HoboHarry
18-01-2018, 01:46 PM
It's all about the money, money, money then. :greengrin
As always - It's the Name of the Game.................

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Of course he dived. :agree: If anyone can explain to me why someone's legs go from underneath them when someone puts their hands on their arm or shoulder, i might change my mind.

There's a few on here who would do that if SDG touched them. :wink:

Hibee87
18-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Its a dive everyday of the week, however 99 out of 100 if he goes past him in the middle of the pitch and falls down after being touched on the back he gets a freekick. You see it every week.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2018, 02:40 PM

What I also said was if it had happened in the middle of the park, a free kick would most likely have been awarded for that incident and I would stand by that. I think the penalty would have been soft but it was nowhere near as clear cut as the Pedro incident earlier in the game which was embarrassing.

heretoday
18-01-2018, 04:37 PM
I like goalline technology. Forget the rest.

Memo to refs: If in doubt, don't give a pen. They're all at it.

Mango Man
18-01-2018, 05:15 PM
I like goalline technology. Forget the rest.

Memo to refs: If in doubt, don't give a pen. They're all at it.

Yup, that's all that's needed, penalties and offsides or whatever can be really tight and no guarantees from the outcome, but if the ball has crossed the line, then it's got to count, it's the hardest part of the game.

WeeRussell
18-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I thought the ref was brilliant last night, Morata and Pedro rightly sent off, but i would have given the penalty against William.

Agreed. The one time he used this amazing VAR was the one he got completely wrong for me haha. Willian extremely unlucky not to get a penalty and even moreso to get booked as a result. But if referees were more like the one last night in every game, we wouldn’t be discussing diving as much as we do today.

maturehibby
18-01-2018, 06:02 PM

Thought that the referee had a agenda against Chelsea and gave them nothing outside the penalty area when get should have been given free kicks he became so stubborn in not giving Chelsea decisions it became laughable.
Am glad he refereed in England tho We have OUR share of incompetence up here
With Messrs Colum Thomson Madden to game a few