PDA

View Full Version : What 21st May did for our club for outsiders looking in

Northernhibee
17-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Was watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3b_lw7t2TE&t=129s

and was amazed to look in the comments section. Leeds fans, Liverpool fans, Porto fans, Croatians, Italians - people from all around the world in admiration of our support and of Sunshine on Leith.

Doncaster/Regan were made to look ridiculous about it being "embarrasing" for the Scottish game. The outpouring of emotion that day resonated with fans around the world and did more to showcase the best of the Scottish game than any initiative they've ever come up with.

jacomo
18-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Remember that according to Gordon Smith our exuberance was ‘much, much worse’ than this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzJO9K__n9A

:faf:

Wings over Scotland did a more honest appraisal of the pitch invasion - not entirely comfortable reading for us but puts The Rangers idiocy in proper perspective.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/statements-of-the-obvious/

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Have Rangers ever came out with an apology for the inaccurate statement they released after the game?

Firestarter
18-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Have Rangers ever came out with an apology for the inaccurate statement they released after the game?

No, they backed it up with whining like bitches after the official review verdict came out too. :agree:

hibsbollah
18-01-2018, 01:05 PM

No, on the contrary they stand by it. It's on their official website for some reason.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2018, 01:09 PM

NAE NOOKIE
18-01-2018, 01:36 PM
It does give you a fuzzy glow reading complimentary comments from fans of other clubs, especially ones outside of Scotland, when it comes to SOL. Fans of every club like to think they are a bit different from the rest, its nice when fans with no agenda either way when it comes to us acknowledge that we have something unique and worth watching.

You see a few folk saying they would like to visit ER in order to join in with SOL ... I hope they realise it doesn't happen very often :greengrin The only down side about the song is that its pretty well impossible to sing it without the music.

Deansy
18-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Remember that according to Gordon Smith our exuberance was ‘much, much worse’ than this:

Wings over Scotland did a more honest appraisal of the pitch invasion - not entirely comfortable reading for us but puts The Rangers idiocy in proper perspective.

They also have a YouTube video (I only just discovered it yesterday !) and it's suitably titled -

'16 minutes of minor mayhem'

After reading your link to their article, I think the emphasis is definitely on 'minor' !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yY2iDsKvGA

KingFranck
18-01-2018, 04:53 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7by4HbKrETg

I’ll just leave this here shall I
The best video out there 😀

One Day Soon
18-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Was watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3b_lw7t2TE&t=129s

and was amazed to look in the comments section. Leeds fans, Liverpool fans, Porto fans, Croatians, Italians - people from all around the world in admiration of our support and of Sunshine on Leith.

Doncaster/Regan were made to look ridiculous about it being "embarrasing" for the Scottish game. The outpouring of emotion that day resonated with fans around the world and did more to showcase the best of the Scottish game than any initiative they've ever come up with.

I'm not crying, you are.

1875STEVE
18-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Is it just me who still struggles to hold back tears when watching cup final stuff???......

Northernhibee
18-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Is it just me who still struggles to hold back tears when watching cup final stuff???......

No, still to this day. I've kind of accepted I'll never feel the same emotions as when SDG's bullet header hit the back of the net again in my life.

wazoo1875
18-01-2018, 10:48 PM

No, 400,000 Hertz fans weep every time they watch it

1875STEVE
18-01-2018, 11:01 PM
No, 400,000 Hertz fans weep every time they watch it

:greengrin:greengrin

itslegaltender
18-01-2018, 11:05 PM
I'm not crying, you are.

an often missed moment there on that video at 7 mins 15. The moment the verse in Glory Glory became very, very real.

I started to sing that bit at Hampden and the reality of the situation hit me like a train. My Dad who died 3 years previously, my Grandad who had died in 2001, both Hibees who never got to feel that moment but who I could remember singing that song many times in the past. There was me side by side with my son enjoying a pure moment of absolute joy, sadness, satisfaction and exhilaration all at same time.

Bay Area Hibees
19-01-2018, 04:20 AM
an often missed moment there on that video at 7 mins 15. The moment the verse in Glory Glory became very, very real.

I started to sing that bit at Hampden and the reality of the situation hit me like a train. My Dad who died 3 years previously, my Grandad who had died in 2001, both Hibees who never got to feel that moment but who I could remember singing that song many times in the past. There was me side by side with my son enjoying a pure moment of absolute joy, sadness, satisfaction and exhilaration all at same time.

This !!!
I’ve posted about that before, my favorite memory for the same reason. I watched it last week.
That rendition will live with me forever

SirDavidsNapper
19-01-2018, 06:26 AM

Every single time. The worst bit is the cup fina l DVD when the piano starts on the lead up to Sir Davids goal. Has me blubbering like a child. Im welling up typing this! 😂

Firestarter
19-01-2018, 09:23 AM
This !!!
I’ve posted about that before, my favorite memory for the same reason. I watched it last week.

When the fans where on the pitch and it kind of strangely kicked in we had won I was looking forward to Glory Glory more than Sunshine on Leith for that very verse and when it was about to happen had massively butterflies, don't know why. I suppose who ever realistically ever thought they would be singing I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag having just won the thing. :green grin thank god I was there, my whole footballing supporting life led to that moment and day.

weehissy
19-01-2018, 10:23 AM

I must say the GGTTH that day meant more to me than SOL , and still does, in fact having listened to that exact line "i only want to see the scottish cup is in the bag" i have had to take a sharp intake of breath and tears STILL well up in my eyes as i think about my dad whom i had lost 4 years ago yesterday , a very very poignant moment that i will never ever forget.

oneone73
19-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Greetin' again. Yet it's cheered me up. Go figure.

givescotlandfreedom
19-01-2018, 10:45 AM

I listened to the sportsound and off the ball coverage recently - what a load of garbage that was. Chick Young bleating on about nothing else as well aye lying about player assaults. Cowan too was talking nonsense about it taking the shine off the victory. It's barely brought up now we have a better idea of what actually happened - or in reality didn't happen.
Cosgrove was a lone voice of reason, pointing out Young's gloating about being on the pitch at Wembley (somebody was killed in violence related to the game that day) and Motherwell fans giving it lady to Sevco fans after their play off win. The only difference was Sevco fans didn't go on the pitch that day.
The biggest goading/provoking I've seen in Scotland was Huns on the pitch at ER after a regular league win to wind Hibs fans up, not 114 years of heartache and misery. And I didn't go on the pitch.

JimBHibees
19-01-2018, 10:55 AM
I listened to the sportsound and off the ball coverage recently - what a load of garbage that was. Chick Young bleating on about nothing else as well aye lying about player assaults. Cowan too was talking nonsense about it taking the shine off the victory. It's barely brought up now we have a better idea of what actually happened - or in reality didn't happen.
Cosgrove was a lone voice of reason, pointing out Young's gloating about being on the pitch at Wembley (somebody was killed in violence related to the game that day) and Motherwell fans giving it lady to Sevco fans after their play off win. The only difference was Sevco fans didn't go on the pitch that day.
The biggest goading/provoking I've seen in Scotland was Huns on the pitch at ER after a regular league win to wind Hibs fans up, not 114 years of heartache and misery. And I didn't go on the pitch.

Listened to that recently also Young and Cowan were like dogs with a bone, players were assaulted with belts, blah, blah. Cosgrove was very good and was the voice of reason and while no doubt Cowan and Cosgrove tend to take alternative views on a story, Cowan was way over the top given especially Motherwell fans had done the same and arguably worse in terms of goading. Chicks hypocrisy when he constantly goes on about Wembley was clear as day. Just a succulent lamb apologist. No mention by any of why Rangers fans were on the pitch at all. Some comment about Hibs fans going into the Rangers end which palpably never happened.

Best bit about the show apart from Cosgrove were the comments which were read out, someone going on about Cowans big team etc which he wasnt happy with.

Scott Allan Key
19-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Listened to that recently also Young and Cowan were like dogs with a bone, players were assaulted with belts, blah, blah. Cosgrove was very good and was the voice of reason and while no doubt Cowan and Cosgrove tend to take alternative views on a story, Cowan was way over the top given especially Motherwell fans had done the same and arguably worse in terms of goading. Chicks hypocrisy when he constantly goes on about Wembley was clear as day. Just a succulent lamb apologist. No mention by any of why Rangers fans were on the pitch at all. Some comment about Hibs fans going into the Rangers end which palpably never happened.

Best bit about the show apart from Cosgrove were the comments which were read out, someone going on about Cowans big team etc which he wasnt happy with.

Cowan’s big team is Hearts. Administration tart AND I remember him saying they have the best looking fans. Ha ha ha, even if he was talking about the females.

Scott Allan Key
19-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Cowan’s big team is Hearts. Administration tart AND I remember him saying they have the best looking fans. Ha ha ha, even if he was talking about the females.

JIm
19-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Had a read through some of the comments earlier, the one I loved the most was this:

From RavenAK47 'Have to respect that.....don't care who you are when you see passionate fans like this it makes the hairs on you're neck stand up, well done Hibs, you might not be one of the so called big clubs just like my club West Ham, that always makes me laugh, but it seems like us, you have more passion than the ****ing lot of em, fair play COYI'

SirDavidsNapper
19-01-2018, 02:30 PM
I dont think any fan of any other club will experience the same joy and emotion as we did that day. The final minutes between the goal and final whistle was a mixture of joy, disbelief, torture, fear, relief and euphoria. Never experienced anything like it and never will again. Manchester City winning the league is probably the closest i can think to what we experienced.

JimBHibees
19-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Had a read through some of the comments earlier, the one I loved the most was this:

From RavenAK47 'Have to respect that.....don't care who you are when you see passionate fans like this it makes the hairs on you're neck stand up, well done Hibs, you might not be one of the so called big clubs just like my club West Ham, that always makes me laugh, but it seems like us, you have more passion than the ****ing lot of em, fair play COYI'

My favourite was this, spot on.

Pitch invasion no problem ,the blue **** just have to go home . Congrats from Eindhoven

Famous Fiver
19-01-2018, 03:41 PM
When I was blowing out the candles on the birthday cake for my 70th birthday two months after the final the cry went up 'Make a wish'.

I was able to reply in a very controlled voice '' Nah, It's OK. My wish has already come true.''

BSEJVT
19-01-2018, 05:41 PM
This !!!

Whenever I am needing a pick up I watch the Cup Final footage

It always works and like may other posters it never fails to reduce me to tears or near tears.

Whilst I would find it hard to separate SOL or GGTTH on that day in terms of emotional impact upon me, I remember getting quite a jolt of adrenaline when it occurred to me I was finally going to get to sing those words shortly before I did.

The gusto with which the fans sung it tells its own story.

For older guys like me in the days before SOL and before folk were much better and much quicker at making up new songs, that song and the Hibernian Give us a Goal / Turnbulls Tornadoes duo musically defined Hibs for me.

Whoever decided to play GGTTH that day deserves a medal.

Despite all the carnage on the boards at present about Stokes / Swanson and Portugate, its all just petty stuff that will soon be forgotten about.

All that matters is that "the Hibs go marching on"

I ****ing love Hibs

Away to dry my eyes.

SirDavidsNapper
19-01-2018, 05:44 PM
I remember when we won the league cup in 07 they played "Glory Glory" over the tannoy right on full time. Great moment.