PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs warns of ‘resolute’ Hearts

timewilltell
17-01-2018, 05:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719133

Northernhibee
17-01-2018, 05:12 PM
<3 Started this run against them. Won the cup. Top bloke too.

Hero.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2018, 05:23 PM
He is right. I doubt Hibs will be going into the game with any sense of complacency, the Yams are as tight at the back as anybody in the league and any team that can keep the opposition at arms length has the chance to nick a goal at the other end. Though we dominated the first 60 minutes in the last league game our inability to put the ball in the net ( Oli's goal notwithstanding ) lead to the Yams coming back into the game in the second half.

Its gonna be tough.

IlDiavola
17-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Flogging a dead horse this for me but I've been saying for over a week now, this game will be tough for us.

Hearts are difficult to score against nowadays and they now have someone who can put the ball in the net.

Get a draw, get them back to ER, we are going through.

Concede a goal on Sunday, we may very well be exiting the cup. :boo hoo:

Onion
17-01-2018, 05:40 PM
He is right. I doubt Hibs will be going into the game with any sense of complacency, the Yams are as tight at the back as anybody in the league and any team that can keep the opposition at arms length has the chance to nick a goal at the other end. Though we dominated the first 60 minutes in the last league game our inability to put the ball in the net ( Oli's goal notwithstanding ) lead to the Yams coming back into the game in the second half.

Its gonna be tough.

It will as long as they keep us out. If we can get an early goal (as we did last time) they won't know what to do.

IlDiavola
17-01-2018, 05:42 PM
It will as long as they keep us out. If we can get an early goal (as we did last time) they won't know what to do.

Good post Onion :aok:

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Flogging a dead horse this for me but I've been saying for over a week now, this game will be tough for us.

Hearts are difficult to score against nowadays and they now have someone who can put the ball in the net.

Ah well they need to beat us post independence referendum at some point

IlDiavola
17-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Ah well they need to beat us post independence referendum at some point

:greengrin:greengrin

Tornadoes70
17-01-2018, 05:48 PM

:top marks

With the pace we have going forward going a goal in front would open them up no end. I think we could thrash them if we get an early goal.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

guthrie01
17-01-2018, 06:54 PM
:top marks

With the pace we have going forward going a goal in front would open them up no end. I think we could thrash them if we get an early goal.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

No chance, this is Craig Leveins Hearts, 11 men behind the ball at all times. We haven’t been too threatening in front of goals lately as well. Would love to be wrong though :greengrin

Firestarter
17-01-2018, 06:56 PM
No chance, this is Craig Leveins Hearts, 11 men behind the ball at all times. We haven’t been too threatening in front of goals lately as well. Would love to be wrong though :greengrin

The Celtic match must still be a warning to any team thinking that's how they will set up and play. Contain them early, win the battles early doors and a goal would be lovely.

I actually think they will come back to draw 1-1 and we win 2-1 in the replay.

we are hibs
17-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Think people are massively overrating them, was the same last time too. We are a better team than them and know how to get results in derbies. They don't.

O'Rourke3
17-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Good opinion piece from His Lordship. Took me a while to find resolute in the thesaurus as kicking lumps out of but I got there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
17-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Nuremberg would disagree. We should have beat them 1-0 last time at the PBS .
Its time to beat them in front of their retro High school stand .

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Resolute as in hackers and cloggers etc? got it right there, they will be booting us all over the shop on Sunday, we need to make sure that we have the skill to avoid getting involved.

Strong ref required.

17-01-2018, 07:29 PM
They will have to try and attack more than they did last month because they can't risk it going to a replay at ER. This should hopefully give us more opportunities to get in behind them and I hope we've practising staying onside.

Souter96Mac
They played with a very high line for a lot of the game last time out, we need to use this effectively with our pace and time our runs and passes. I agree if we score early enough then it could help to open things up.

HIBERNIAN-0762
Think people are massively overrating them, was the same last time too. We are a better team than them and know how to get results in derbies. They don't.

This...100%

Golden Bear
17-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Shut it Alan, remember which side you are on.

rodhibs55
17-01-2018, 07:51 PM
I agree it will be tough. We no doubt have better players however one thing that may brings them closer to us is the state of the park. A wee bit of a leveller.

Pete
17-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Why is he being complimentary? Maybe Hearts have threatened him with violence.

Say we’re resolute or you’re going out like Brandon Barker!

Stuart93
17-01-2018, 07:56 PM
They've had 3 shots on target over the last 3 derbies

Firestarter
17-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Nae need.

He doesn't need any reminding either.

Tornadoes70
17-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Fat Biscuits and other hunyams have far too much influence in the corridors of power at BBC Sportsound and they sometimes have to tip their hats to the yams or not get the gigs in my opinion.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Firestarter
17-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Because he's a fair honest individual. Calls it like he sees it. Respects he opposition. He's Hibs. No doubt about it. Utter legend of a person and manager.

matty_f
17-01-2018, 08:08 PM

Scottish Cup winning manager.

rodhibs55
17-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Scottish Cup winning manager.

Correct
Ledgend

Golden Bear
17-01-2018, 08:28 PM
He can be as complimentary as he wants about an opposition signing target but not a few days before a derby.

guthrie01
17-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Rubbish post, he is doing some punditry so has to remain somewhat neutral. His reaction in the tv box last season when we scored in the ER Derby shows which side he clearly is on

Libby Hibby
17-01-2018, 08:39 PM
He’s clearly bumming them up to make them feel all superior prior to them getting knocked out of the Scottish, again, by Hibs, again

jacomo
17-01-2018, 11:50 PM
He can be as complimentary as he wants about an opposition signing target but not a few days before a derby.

Lol. Let it go.

lord bunberry
18-01-2018, 05:54 AM
I expect us to piss all over them.

SiinDubai
18-01-2018, 06:23 AM

Gary Locke would be lapping that up !! :wink:

lord bunberry
18-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Gary Locke would be lapping that up !! :wink:
He certainly would

Alex Trager
18-01-2018, 08:25 AM
This is a team that have registered 3 shots on target against us in the last 3 derbies.

All 3 of which came from the penalty at ER.
The pen.
The rebound.
The goal.

I can’t say I am worried about them

Steve20
18-01-2018, 08:28 AM
This is a team that have registered 3 shots on target against us in the last 3 derbies.

All 3 of which came from the penalty at ER.
The pen.
The rebound.
The goal.

I can’t say I am worried about them

Yet after Oli Shaw's goal that didn't stand, we never troubled them in over 80 mins in the last game.

This game can go either way. They have the slight advantage of being at home, but there really isn't much between the squads. We're nowhere near as good as them defensively since Levein took over, but we pass the ball about better than them. We just need to learn to break teams down.

1-0 either way.

Alex Trager
18-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Yet after Oli Shaw's goal that didn't stand, we never troubled them in over 80 mins in the last game.

This game can go either way. They have the slight advantage of being at home, but there really isn't much between the squads. We're nowhere near as good as them defensively since Levein took over, but we pass the ball about better than them. We just need to learn to break teams down.

1-0 either way.

And crucially they never threatened us.

Jones28
18-01-2018, 08:32 AM
If our players could go back over the offside rule to freshen it up in their minds we will beat them comfortably imo

Pretty Boy
18-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Stubbs could walk out into the middle of the park on Sunday in a Hearts top belting out the Hearts song at the top of his voice and I'd still love him.

What he says in the interview seems pretty accurate to me.

JimboHibs
18-01-2018, 08:45 AM

1-0 either way.

Not much between the squads ?? Seriously u pick a Hibs/Hearts select and how many Hearts players would you pick ahead of our ?? They would love a Bartley,McGinn,McGeouch,McGregor,Stokes,Ambrose,Ha nlon,Boyle ... Simon Murray puts the fear into them.

Firestarter
18-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Stubbs could walk out into the middle of the park on Sunday in a Hearts top belting out the Hearts song at the top of his voice and I'd still love him.

I'm in this camp.

Geo_1875
18-01-2018, 09:25 AM
I'd be worried if they came out and played like they did against Celtc or against Aberdeen at Murrayfield.

However, Levein will have them ****-scared of losing so if we take our chances we should have enough to beat them.

Northernhibee
18-01-2018, 09:57 AM

Stubbs could hit me in the face with a shovel for four hours and I'd still go if he was doing a book signing at Waterstones.

SideBurns
18-01-2018, 10:25 AM

In our 9 game unbeaten run, we have played them 4 times at Tynie - all have been draws. The 4 victories at ER have been tight matches apart from the 3-1 replay last season, when the scoreline flattered them and the tie was effectively over early in the 2nd half.

I'd love to believe we'll "piss all over them" but that has only occurred twice at their dump in my lifetime (in 1973 & 1999) and so it would take a lot of strong drink for me to come round to that way of thinking. They aren't a great side, but they are hard to beat. It will be tough, no point kidding ourselves otherwise!

Geo_1875
18-01-2018, 10:43 AM
In our 9 game unbeaten run, we have played them 4 times at Tynie - all have been draws. The 4 victories at ER have been tight matches apart from the 3-1 replay last season, when the scoreline flattered them and the tie was effectively over early in the 2nd half.

I'd love to believe we'll "piss all over them" but that has only occurred twice at their dump in my lifetime (in 1973 & 1999) and so it would take a lot of strong drink for me to come round to that way of thinking. They aren't a great side, but they are hard to beat. It will be tough, no point kidding ourselves otherwise!

I used to go to Tynecastle nervous and just wanting the game to be over. For the last few years I go with a sense of anticipation and thinking bring it on. One day everything will click and we will piss all over them.

heretoday
18-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Stubbs could hit me in the face with a shovel for four hours and I'd still go if he was doing a book signing at Waterstones.

With your own shovel?

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Everything Stubbs says is correct. The last 2 Derbies have shown how tight the game is likely to be. We need to be clinical, and need our defenders to stay focused as anything could happen. I expect Naismith to start for them but he'll have a lot of running to do, chasing long punts from Berra. I think we'll win 2-0. One things for sure, as a fanbase as a whole, theres only one set of fans that will arrive on Sunday completely up for it. And they won't be wearing maroon :flag:

Geo_1875
18-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Everything Stubbs says is correct. The last 2 Derbies have shown how tight the game is likely to be. We need to be clinical, and need our defenders to stay focused as anything could happen. I expect Naismith to start for them but he'll have a lot of running to do, chasing long punts from Berra. I think we'll win 2-0. One things for sure, as a fanbase as a whole, theres only one set of fans that will arrive on Sunday completely up for it. And they won't be wearing maroon :flag:

The last couple of games there we have been singing and bouncing before during and after the game. They don't get it, we do.

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2018, 11:42 AM
The last couple of games there we have been singing and bouncing before during and after the game. They don't get it, we do.

aye and then they've tried to claim we are celebrating a draw. Rather than actually just backing the team.

Big L
18-01-2018, 11:46 AM
The last two games were tight, we were still the better team. Since the last game, they have lost their to top players, Walker and laffatme. Naysmith will make a diff but not that much. I would rather have him in their team than they two.

Keith_M
18-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Not so sure. They have a very good defense (as evidenced by goals against) and Levein has them setup to be incredibly difficult to beat. Add to that their 4-0 win against Celtc and they can't be as bad as a lot of us seem to think.

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Not so sure. They have a very good defense (as evidenced by goals against) and Levein has them setup to be incredibly difficult to beat. Add to that their 4-0 win against Celtc and they can't be as bad as a lot of us seem to think.

Agreed. If you don't concede, you can't lose. And Hibs have been known to gift a goal from time to time. I believe we are better than them, but certainly the league table shows there's not a great deal between us.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2018, 12:24 PM
If we didn't live in criminal hun Vichy occupied unionist quisling state, Shaw's goal would have been given. Then Hearts would have panicked and we'd have run out comfortable winners.

Keith_M
18-01-2018, 12:28 PM
If we didn't live in criminal hun Vichy occupied unionist quisling state, Shaw's goal would have been given. Then Hearts would have panicked and we'd have run out comfortable winners.

Freedom!

:saltireflag

hibsbollah
18-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Levein likes blooding youngsters, and hes managed to keep a lot of clean sheets.

we are hibs
18-01-2018, 12:30 PM

I think they're just an average team tbh. They don't have a lot going forward but are hard to break down. Whereas we have match winners going forward. Derbies are usually won in the middle of the park and we are stronger than them and will bully them yet again. The thought of a young 16 year old boy up against someone like McGinn or Bartley isn't exactly keeping me awake at night.

id be targeting Berra when he has the ball at his feet and I'd be telling Boyle to drive at their new full back first chance he gets. I doubt This boy they've signed from man Utd will have never played in a game of this pace and physicality so make him nervous early on and try and force them into mistakes on what will probably be another shambolic tynecastle pitch

KWJ
18-01-2018, 01:05 PM
They played with a very high line for a lot of the game last time out, we need to use this effectively with our pace and time our runs and passes. I agree if we score early enough then it could help to open things up.

Good point. That looked like the sort of defense that Jamie MacLaren wants to face every week.

EH6 Hibby
18-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Levein likes blooding youngsters, and hes managed to keep a lot of clean sheets.

That sounds so wrong!:shocked:

Hibby soldier
18-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Disagree totally...

WeeRussell
18-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Maybe we should beef ourselves up over the next 2 days to counter their physicality.

Pete
19-01-2018, 08:54 AM
So we are falling apart and arguing amongst ourselves while they are resolute and have signed a star who is going to punish us. It all points to one thing for the derby...

Hibs to win :aok: