PDA

View Full Version : Swanson

hfcnic
17-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Read that it's a possibility of him going out on loan with st johnstone.

If this happens I can't see him playing for is again. Whats peoples thoughts on him? Is he required?

No had much from him due to injury and personal issues. Personally I wanted him to do well here but just can't see it happening for him

cleanyman
17-01-2018, 10:39 AM
I'd be content to see him leave along with Big Dave.

heretoday
I'd be content to see him leave along with Big Dave.

Agree.

Peevemor

If this happens I can't see him playing for is again. Whats peoples thoughts on him? Is he required?

No had much from him due to injury and personal issues. Personally I wanted him to do well here but just can't see it happening for him

I think he could become a big player for us from now on.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-01-2018, 10:40 AM

He has contributed little so far, we've got to expect more from our signings - to date the ones brought in during last window don't say much for the recruitment strategy.

H18 SFR
17-01-2018, 10:42 AM
He has contributed little so far, we've got to expect more from our signings - to date the ones brought in during last window don't say much for the recruitment strategy.

To be fair the actual strategy is fine, the problem lies in our wage structure.

Brightside
17-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Hopefully he will play against hearts and score....a nice swansong

MyJo
17-01-2018, 10:43 AM
I think he would be an asset to the team once fit and focused but he hasn't contributed much so far this season so if everyone feels its best for him to kick-on elsewhere then so be it.

Personally I would prefer him to stay and to get himself into a team that is absolutely crying out for someone like him to be in it.

hfcnic

100%

We could be using these wages elsewhere.

SRHibs
Yeah, I’d be happy to get him off the wage bill. Granted he’s had a stressful time of it recently, but we all go through stuff and have to get on with it. Waste of money at the moment, and doesn’t cut the figure of someone playing for his boyhood heroes.

hfcnic
17-01-2018, 10:44 AM
I think he could become a big player for us from now on.
How come?

cleanyman
To be fair the actual strategy is fine, the problem lies in our wage structure.

Is it?

Scottie
:agree: Lets hope any signing in this window enhances the team as I think we need a little boost going into the 2nd half of the season.

On Swanson been disappointed but understand personal reasons outweigh football sometimes in life.

Steve20
17-01-2018, 10:45 AM
I think he's got something to offer. Injuries and Circumstances away from Football have contributed to his slow start, but I'm still confident he could have a big second half of the season for us. Be a bit disappointed if we let a player like him go.

I'm not sure about this having to trim the squad to bring others in. Don't think our squad is that big at the moment. If anything, I've felt we needed more players in the squad, not less.

hfcnic
17-01-2018, 10:47 AM
:agree: Lets hope any signing in this window enhances the team as I think we need a little boost going into the 2nd half of the season.

On Swanson been disappointed but understand personal reasons outweigh football sometimes in life.

Its not football for him thought its his job. If people don't turn up in their job there are consequences.

Scores the winner on sunday and that will put him back in favour haha

Ozyhibby
17-01-2018, 10:49 AM
I think we need to be more careful signing players the wrong side of 30.
Happy to see Swanson head back to saints. Free up a wage for an attacking midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
I think he'd be as good as a new signing when he's back in January. I'd be pretty disappointed if that rumour came to anything.

He's pretty much exactly what we need. He links midfield and attack. He needs a goal to up the confidence a little, but I think he'll be a big player for us after the break.

KWJ
I think he's got something to offer. Injuries and Circumstances away from Football have contributed to his slow start, but I'm still confident he could have a big second half of the season for us. Be a bit disappointed if we let a player like him go.

This. He offers something different to what we've got and deserves another crack at the whip to show he's a good player.

JimBHibees
17-01-2018, 10:54 AM
I think he'd be as good as a new signing when he's back in January. I'd be pretty disappointed if that rumour came to anything.

He's pretty much exactly what we need. He links midfield and attack. He needs a goal to up the confidence a little, but I think he'll be a big player for us after the break.

Thought he looked ok against Killie however personally happy enough for him to go out on loan only if we have someone better coming in. You have to assume he hasnt done himself any favours with last weeks incident. If ever there was a time for him to get his head down and cement a place it was now.

JDHibs
17-01-2018, 10:56 AM

Murray and Stokes have scored 13 league goals between them? Only 4 have scored more than Stokes in the league?
Slivka was always brought in to bolster our midfield options.
Rocky was brilliant for us last season and was signed on a long term deal.
Ambrose has been brilliant for us this season and signed on a long term deal.
Whittaker hasnt been the worst player ever even with carrying an injury.
Big Davey hasnt really been given a chance, bar the odd 10 minute cameo.
Swanson has had injury and off field issues.

so out of 8 signings id say 2 have been unlucky with injuries (whittaker and Swanson) and 1 hasnt really been given a chance (Big Davey). Rest of them have been quite successful to a team who have just been promoted and currently sit 4th. Hardly calls us to question the recruitment strategy.

SRHibs
17-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Murray and Stokes have scored 13 league goals between them? Only 4 have scored more than Stokes in the league?
Slivka was always brought in to bolster our midfield options.
Rocky was brilliant for us last season and was signed on a long term deal.
Ambrose has been brilliant for us this season and signed on a long term deal.
Whittaker hasnt been the worst player ever even with carrying an injury.
Big Davey hasnt really been given a chance, bar the odd 10 minute cameo.
Swanson has had injury and off field issues.

so out of 8 signings id say 2 have been unlucky with injuries (whittaker and Swanson) and 1 hasnt really been given a chance (Big Davey). Rest of them have been quite successful to a team who have just been promoted and currently sit 4th. Hardly calls us to question the recruitment strategy.

Stokes has scored 3 goals from open play in 18 league games, with one of those being a consolation goal. His penalties (which you have to expect most decent strikers to score the majority of) significantly embellish his stats.

California-Hibs
17-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Think we’d regret letting Danny go. The lads had an awful time of it off the pitch, but now that there’s a bit of distance (not ever entirely of course) being put towards those issues and his football, I think we’re on the verge now of seeing the Danny Swanson of his United/St Johnstone days. A proven Danny Swanson at that.

Keep till the end of the season and see how he does between now and then is my opinion. I think he might become very impressive.

Winston Ingram
17-01-2018, 11:01 AM
I'd be gutted if this was true. Got real talent and a huge desire to play for us. So far he has either been played out of position or been injured. Far too early to write him off.

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Would rather free up a wage

JDHibs
17-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Stokes has scored 3 goals from open play in 18 league games, with one of those being a consolation goal. His penalties (which you have to expect most decent strikers to score the majority of) significantly embellish his stats.

Penalties or not, hes put the ball into the back of the net more than any other of our players....thats the main stat...

Sir David Gray
17-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I’d be happy to get him off the wage bill. Granted he’s had a stressful time of it recently, but we all go through stuff and have to get on with it. Waste of money at the moment, and doesn’t cut the figure of someone playing for his boyhood heroes.

We don't all have our best friend killed as a result of a brutal attack, need to sit through a very public trial lasting for several weeks, reliving all the evidence again and then seeing his killer get off with a very light sentence.

I have no idea how you would ever get over such a traumatic event.

He has also had several injuries to contend with during his time with us so I think there's still a lot more to come from him.

His behaviour last week in Portugal was disappointing but I don't think he's anywhere near finished with Hibs.

snooky
17-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Think we’d regret letting Danny go. The lads had an awful time of it off the pitch, but now that there’s a bit of distance (not ever entirely of course) being put towards those issues and his football, I think we’re on the verge now of seeing the Danny Swanson of his United/St Johnstone days. A proven Danny Swanson at that.

Keep till the end of the season and see how he does between now and then is my opinion. I think he might become very impressive.

This is where I am. Even allowing for his various troubles, I'm disappointed in his form with us as I always regarded him as a good attacking midfielder.

WeeRussell
17-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Hasn’t Danny had his struggles with depression at the best of times? and now recent tragic events to deal with. He’s been given the time and help to deal with this.. it would seem strange to offload him now before actually seeing what he can offer us with a clear head and run of games.

I hope he sticks around.

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2018, 11:55 AM
I seriously doubt if he has it in him to produce at bigger clubs. He was poor for Hearts and he's been poor for Hibs. Less pressure on him at St Johnstone and Dundee United. Time will tell but if he hasn't picked up by the summer he'll be away.

truehibernian
17-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I seriously doubt if he has it in him to produce at bigger clubs. He was poor for Hearts and he's been poor for Hibs. Less pressure on him at St Johnstone and Dundee United. Time will tell but if he hasn't picked up by the summer he'll be away.

I saw more than enough in 45 minutes v Killie to see Danny will be an asset to have at Hibs for the rest of the season. Would be very foolish to send him to Saints in my opinion - strengthens an opponent going for top 6 and weakens our creative area in midfield. He's a top player in this league.

MikeyS
17-01-2018, 12:00 PM
There is an increasing amount of folk on here lining up to have a go at Stokes regarding his SCORED penalties! Makes no sense to me.

maybe we should go to the SPL and ask them to discount them from the records and get any points gained deducted! :rolleyes:

berwickhibee
17-01-2018, 12:01 PM
I saw more than enough in 45 minutes v Killie to see Danny will be an asset to have at Hibs for the rest of the season. Would be very foolish to send him to Saints in my opinion - strengthens an opponent going for top 6 and weakens our creative area in midfield. He's a top player in this league.
Agree totally.

seanoheimhin
17-01-2018, 12:01 PM
A talented player that wants to be a success with us, but I just don't see it happening.

Sad as it would be, sometimes things just don't work out.

I think we're better moving him on, because we're severely lacking in his position as it is and can't afford to carry anyone.

seanoheimhin
17-01-2018, 12:02 PM
There is an increasing amount of folk on here lining up to have a go at Stokes regarding his SCORED penalties! Makes no sense to me.

maybe we should go to the SPL and ask them to discount them from the records and get any points gained deducted! :rolleyes:

:top marks

GoalsMcGinley
17-01-2018, 12:07 PM

Think it’s more to do with the fact we should be getting more goals from our “marquee” striker from open play rather than totally discounting his scored penalties.

WeeRussell
17-01-2018, 12:23 PM

Ask them to take away his goals where we didn't win the game as well, while you're at it :aok:

Firestarter
17-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Think it’s more to do with the fact we should be getting more goals from our “marquee” striker from open play rather than totally discounting his scored penalties.

He's contributing a lot more than goals. We have wingers smashing balls into the box fair enough but very little creativity ever comes from the center of midfield ever.

GoalsMcGinley
17-01-2018, 01:07 PM
He's contributing a lot more than goals. We have wingers smashing balls into the box fair enough but very little creativity ever comes from the center of midfield ever.

Only 4 assists would suggest he is t contributing enough when he’s not scoring either. In my opinion he needs to offer more. He should be a stand out most weeks but sadly he’s not.

J-C
17-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I've only just looked at Swanson's stats and TBH he's never really set the heather on fire except for last season at St Johnstone, although he was fairly consistent at Dundee U. His career seems to be a series of ups and downs and unfortunately he's on a down turn here, can he turn it around?

I was happy we signed Danny but it appears to be a big mistake so far and maybe Henderson or Mallan would've been a better option to start the season off, he has a lot to turn around and I don't know if he has the mentality to do it.

JDHibs
17-01-2018, 01:22 PM
11 goals and 4 assists in 21 games when hes not been in the greatest of form for most of it? Thats quite a good return.

If he can play like he did against County everyweek, his return will go up even more!

hibs#1
17-01-2018, 01:51 PM
11 goals and 4 assists in 21 games when hes not been in the greatest of form for most of it? Thats quite a good return.

If he can play like he did against County everyweek, his return will go up even more!

Very good return 👍. Think some people are expecting Messi like returns off players.

lord bunberry
17-01-2018, 01:55 PM
I can’t believe we’d be considering letting Danny go out on loan. He needs to be staying here and proving his worth to the team. He’s had a troubled start, but now is his time to shine. If he doesn’t produce the goods between now and the end of the season, then we can start thinking about our options for him.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Are we really lining up a list of Hibs players to question their worth ahead of a derby? Really? Each to their own but it’s almost as it we tee things up nicely for a bit of trolling from the yams.

#captainSensible

jacomo
17-01-2018, 02:12 PM
I can’t believe we’d be considering letting Danny go out on loan. He needs to be staying here and proving his worth to the team. He’s had a troubled start, but now is his time to shine. If he doesn’t produce the goods between now and the end of the season, then we can start thinking about our options for him.

:agree:

Tell him it’s now or never and see if we get a reaction.

poulton hibs
17-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Tries hard but doesn't have what we need. I don't think we would miss him as he doesn't contribute enough even before his off field troubles.

ekhibee
17-01-2018, 03:12 PM
IMO sending him out on loan is totally pointless. Either he stays with us or goes elsewhere permanently. He's been through a bit outside football, but if he is fit and ready to play, well, he's our player. I suppose it depends on when this supposed loan deal would happen. If he plays in our next 2 games and plays well that's great, but if he doesn't and then goes out on loan and starts banging in the goals you'd have to question if he's really right for Hibs. Just a thought.

bigwheel
17-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Tries hard but doesn't have what we need. I don't think we would miss him as he doesn't contribute enough even before his off field troubles.

that might make sense if his off the field issues hadn't started before he joined us....its too early to make a judgement on Swanson...needs a run of games..

lucky
17-01-2018, 03:23 PM
I’d only let him go if we were getting someone in who could push for a first team slot.

hfcnic
17-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Are we really lining up a list of Hibs players to question their worth ahead of a derby? Really? Each to their own but it’s almost as it we tee things up nicely for a bit of trolling from the yams.

#captainSensible

So because there is a game at the weekend we can only talk about things not related to players and things in the news about them?

If you'd like to leave a wee list of acceptable topics we will be sure to follow them

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Its a tough one ... he actually looked better against Killie than he has in any appearance for us this season, from that point of view it could be that he is over his injury problems and finding his form at last. A fit Swanson playing like he did last season would be a real asset, whether we get that is another matter.

The Harp
17-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Cant see the sense in allowing Danny to go out on loan. We had been linked with him for quite a while before we actually signed him so wouldn't like to see him head off elsewhere, even on loan. He hasn't had the impact we all expected but we know the reason for that. Hope we persevere we him and he grasps the opportunity.

17-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Its a tough one ... he actually looked better against Killie than he has in any appearance for us this season, from that point of view it could be that he is over his injury problems and finding his form at last. A fit Swanson playing like he did last season would be a real asset, whether we get that is another matter.

On the whole the winter break came at a good time but it wasn't at a good time for Danny and missing the William II game could be costly for him as far as getting any time on the pitch on Sunday goes.

JimBHibees
17-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Cant see the sense in allowing Danny to go out on loan. We had been linked with him for quite a while before we actually signed him so wouldn't like to see him head off elsewhere, even on loan. He hasn't had the impact we all expected but we know the reason for that. Hope we persevere we him and he grasps the opportunity.

Only sense would be if someone better is coming in.

Unseen work
17-01-2018, 04:07 PM
I am stunned at the amount of stick he is getting and people willing to write him off.

I think he is a fantastic football but due to issues outside of football and injuries he has rarely been able to show it this season.

He has the ability to skin a man with ease, thread a pass or score a screamer.

A fit Swanson would be like a new signing.

I would be gutted if he left.

Speedway
17-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Wasn't impressed with the decision to bring him here in the first place.

If Swanson out meant a Hendo or a Mallan in, then let's do it.

Borderhibbie76
17-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Ask them to take away his goals where we didn't win the game as well, while you're at it :aok:🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
17-01-2018, 05:20 PM
On the whole the winter break came at a good time but it wasn't at a good time for Danny and missing the William II game could be costly for as far as him getting any time on the pitch on Sunday goes.And there is only 1 person to blame.for that...Danny himself.

Borderhibbie76
17-01-2018, 05:22 PM
I am stunned at the amount of stick he is getting and people willing to write him off.

I think he is a fantastic football but due to issues outside of football and injuries he has rarely been able to show it this season.

He has the ability to skin a man with ease, thread a pass or score a screamer.

A fit Swanson would be like a new signing.

I would be gutted if he left.Are you really?? Look at the stick Stokes gets off some of our "fans" on here mate??

Fwiw i am undecided in Danny not seen enough from.him in the games he has played but I actually think he gets an easy ride from the fans due to his "hibs connections". Big Dave has played less and pretty much been written off by everyone. Would that be the same if he was a lifelong Hibee??

IlDiavola
17-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Are you really?? Look at the stick Stokes gets off some of our "fans" on here mate??

Fwiw i am undecided in Danny not seen enough from.him in the games he has played but I actually think he gets an easy ride from the fans due to his "hibs connections". Big Dave has played less and pretty much been written off by everyone. Would that be the same if he was a lifelong Hibee??

In my opinion, Stokes AND Swanson both get an easy ride but for two entirely different reasons.

Borderhibbie76
17-01-2018, 05:35 PM
In my opinion, Stokes AND Swanson both get an easy ride but for two entirely different reasons.Nobody that sits around me in East gives Stokesy an easy ride believe me. Some of the rubbish "lazy" comments that get screamed at him every week are a nonsense.

Nicho87
17-01-2018, 05:38 PM
It's a good point people make. I myself am delighted that the background structure of the club is strong. Recruitment people are in place. But if we take our recent signings. Swanson, slivka, big Dave. No where near good enough. For a tight ship which most clubs are ran like in Scotland. Three players of their contribution so far is no where near enough.

ian cruise
17-01-2018, 05:51 PM
I'd be gutted if he went after such a short time. I wasn't that keen on signing him purely down to the fact that too often when people sign for their boyhood heroes it just doesn't work out, and he's had a real hit and miss career prior to joining us anyway, but nothing would have made me happier that to have been proven wrong and be made to look daft on here (again!).

Would like him to kick on now he's fit and focused and show what he can do in the second half of the season, if he's not producing the goods come summer then cut our losses.

ian cruise
17-01-2018, 05:53 PM
It's a good point people make. I myself am delighted that the background structure of the club is strong. Recruitment people are in place. But if we take our recent signings. Swanson, slivka, big Dave. No where near good enough. For a tight ship which most clubs are ran like in Scotland. Three players of their contribution so far is no where near enough.

Think you're being harsh on Slivka, he's got a role to play the problem is he's being kept out of the squad by two very good players in McGinn and McGeough. We may be without one, or indeed both of them come Feb or next Aug and he'll be settled and ready to step up. He's done his chances no harm when he has pulled on the Hibs shirt.

eastcoasthibby
17-01-2018, 05:54 PM
He needs to stay he has potential.to unlock defences, if fit he will be an asset but on the other hand if he.is going on loan to get him off the wage bill who we bring in has to be guaranteed to be an improvement on Danny ....are our finances.that.tight that its a one in and one out ? Where has all the extra crowd numbers cash gone from august til noq ? 2.5 - 3 k on home gates ? In fact more than that ?

Tornadoes70
17-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Thank goodness we didn't sign Maulary Martin.

Now he really is a dud signing.

:thumbsup:

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Think you're being harsh on Slivka, he's got a role to play the problem is he's being kept out of the squad by two very good players in McGinn and McGeough. We may be without one, or indeed both of them come Feb or next Aug and he'll be settled and ready to step up. He's done his chances no harm when he has pulled on the Hibs shirt.

Yup agree with that. I've seen enough of Slivka to suggest he's an asset. Swanson and Big Dave not so much.

Speedway
17-01-2018, 05:56 PM
He needs to stay he has potential.to unlock defences, if fit he will be an asset but on the other hand if he.is going on loan to get him off the wage bill who we bring in has to be guaranteed to be an improvement on Danny ....are our finances.that.tight that its a one in and one out ? Where has all the extra crowd numbers cash gone from august til noq ? 2.5 - 3 k on home gates ? In fact more than that ?

Paying for the loss made in the previous year?

hibee
17-01-2018, 05:57 PM
I haven’t seen him play enough to know if he’s a good player but based on his contribution to the team so far I wouldn’t miss him at all if he left.

canuckhibee
17-01-2018, 07:44 PM

Agree. Yes, he's had issues to deal with and I guess none of us will really know how much it has affected him long term, however, life throws all sorts of crap at you and at some point you have to dust yourself down and crack on. Looks unfit to me and the episode in Portugal was a lack of respect for his Manager, us the fans but most importantly a lack of respect for his team-mates. If he goes then I genuinely wish him all the best, however, I would rather we have a player who is absolutely committed to the cause.

Tornadoes70
17-01-2018, 07:51 PM
I still think Danny can make a valuable contribution when he knuckles down and gets on with it. He's a very skillful player with an eye for goal when in form. Don't think we should write him off just yet.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

jacomo
17-01-2018, 08:22 PM

We’ve literally just added two players to the squad without anyone leaving.

Smartie
17-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Danny coming back fully fit (at last), knowing he's in the last chance saloon and with a point to prove could be a very powerful asset during the second half of the season.

brog
17-01-2018, 08:34 PM
I posted on another thread, I'll abbreviate it here. Danny has started 3 league games for Hibs. His start vs Killie was his 1st for over 4 months. It's ridiculous to make a forensic judgement on his performances after 3 games. I hope & expect Danny to be a big player for us in the 2nd half of the season.

cmcd
17-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Nice to see quite a few Hibs fans are so compassionate NOT .Give the guy a break for goodness sake

ancient hibee
17-01-2018, 09:28 PM
What sort of second half of the season did he have at Saints?

erin go bragh
17-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Tbh if Swanson wasn’t a dyed in the wool Hibby . Not many on here would be fussed if he went .
I know his circumstances have obviously affected him but he had been a shadow of the player he was at Saints .

17-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Not seen as much of him as we would have liked due to injuries and obviously his personal problems off the park. He's not first team atm but I think theres a player in there so I wouldn't like to see him go completely. Maybe a wee loan move to the end of the season would be a good thing. Get some game time and keep his fitness up then come back to us in the summer and stake a claim for a place in the team.

17-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Tbh if Swanson wasn’t a dyed in the wool Hibby . Not many on here would be fussed if he went .
I know his circumstances have obviously affected him but he had been a shadow of the player he was at Saints .

Nothing to do with the fact he's a die in the wool hibs fan. What difference does that really make? If he's good enough hes good enough, if he's not then i'm no more sad to see him leave than anybody else who isn't good enough. I want him to stay (even if it does mean a quick loan spell out first) because I genuinely think that when fit he could be a big player for us.

brog
17-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Was he a shadow of the player in the whole 3 league games he's played?

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Was he a shadow of the player in the whole 3 league games he's played?

Exactly, he was decent against Killie, and his first league game against Partick at the beginning of the season he played well, even setting up our first goal.

He's not played enough for anyone to form a balanced opinion on him.

Firestarter
18-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Exactly, he was decent against Killie, and his first league game against Partick at the beginning of the season he played well, even setting up our first goal.

He's not played enough for anyone to form a balanced opinion on him.

He was poor against Killie and missed a sitter. I'm for giving him a good crack at the whip mind.

JimBHibees
18-01-2018, 11:53 AM
He was poor against Killie and missed a sitter. I'm for giving him a good crack at the whip mind.

Certainly wasnt poor should probably have scored but thought he looked quite sharp and linked up well before tiring second half.

Firestarter
18-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Certainly wasnt poor should probably have scored but thought he looked quite sharp and linked up well before tiring second half.

I expect better from him tbh. He's not up to the standard of player we should be looking at getting from him performance wise, that's why I would say poor. :aok:

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2018, 12:39 PM

He's a shaddow of the former dyed in the wool Hears fan he claimed to be

RIP
18-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Good sensible post mate - saved me writing that. The message board myth that we lose an acknowledged SPL player to free a wage for a phantom January signing always makes me smile.

wookie70
18-01-2018, 03:31 PM
I posted on another thread, I'll abbreviate it here. Danny has started 3 league games for Hibs. His start vs Killie was his 1st for over 4 months. It's ridiculous to make a forensic judgement on his performances after 3 games. I hope & expect Danny to be a big player for us in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm going to make a forensic judgement based on that Killie game. He looked very decent considering the lack of games, lively but not match fit or even fit and gave us something that no-one else in the squad gives us imo a link between midfield and attack(perhaps with the exception of Fraser Murray who gets less game time than Swanson). His movement is also very good although I'd want it a bit more often.

I was a bit Meh when he signed because he never scored many more goals from open play than McGinn did the season before this. I was desperate for a goal scoring midfielder and I didn't think he would be a 10 goal a season player.

After watching his game time so far he just looks a bit short of sharpness or concentration and his fitness levels are not good enough. That could be for a whole load of reasons but if he wants to stay and kick on at Hibs I think he needs to get back to being a 80-90 minute player because he certainly has some quality about his play and he is the type of player we are crying out for.

Ryan69
18-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Exactly right.

Major disappointment so far.

hughio
18-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Exactly right.

Major disappointment so far.

It is disappointing... but if he's fallen foul of the manager's expectations for whatever reason we have to respect that.It will not have happened for no reason.

Golden Bear
18-01-2018, 04:04 PM
I'm not going to judge as I think he's had limited opportunities in a Hibs jersey to prove his worth. He may have been trying TOO hard initially and when he failed to make a significant impact, his confidence suffered.

It's just a bit early to be offloading the guy in my book.

Spike Mandela
18-01-2018, 04:12 PM
I'm not going to judge as I think he's had limited opportunities in a Hibs jersey to prove his worth. He may have been trying TOO hard initially and when he failed to make a significant impact, his confidence suffered.

It's just a bit early to be offloading the guy in my book.

Maybe, but Lennon has stated he may need to trim the squad to bring in new faces and to do that it would have to be a player wanted by someone else.

Swanson’s Hibs career could kick on this year or next but at the moment it hasn’t really got going and if he could be swapped for somebody who hits the ground running at Hibs it would be good business.

I wouldn’t be troubled by either decision.

wallpaperman
18-01-2018, 04:50 PM
I would keep him. Hibs have been very good to him. He owes Hibs, and he knows this, Christ, he owes it to himself not to let this chance fritter away.

He should be super motivated and for the sake of half a seasons wages (or less if Saints don't pay all of it), I keep him.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Not so sure we’re so picky as a support everybody gets “the treatment” legend or otherwise wouldn’t be too surprised to hear of folks berating Stanton or Sauzee. In his autobiography Reilly talks about fans ability to let the team know if we’re not happy.

ancient hibee
18-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Or as somebody beside me shouted at Gordon Smith when he came to ER with Hearts,’you’re a useless reject’.Just before he scored.