PDA

View Full Version : Cyrille Regis passed away, 59 RIP

offshorehibby
15-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Cyrille Regis, the former West Brom and England forward, has died aged 59.

He scored 112 goals in 297 appearances for the Baggies before joining Coventry City for £250,000 in 1984.

He was a pioneer for black footballers in the game when he played alongside Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson at The Hawthorns.

Colr
15-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Very sad.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Cyrille Regis, the former West Brom and England forward, has died aged 59.

He scored 112 goals in 297 appearances for the Baggies before joining Coventry City for £250,000 in 1984.

He was a pioneer for black footballers in the game when he played alongside Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson at The Hawthorns.

Sad news, only Batson is still living.

LustForLeith
15-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Very sad news. Not just a great player but a pioneer too.

I’m sure there’s a documentary about the time he played in a friendly which was blacks versus whites. Scary to think it wasnt that long ago. Going to try and watch it.

Lago
15-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Terrific player and a lovely gentleman.

The Harp
15-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Very sad to hear of Cyrille's passing. He was more than just a fine player, he was an inspiration to the many black players trying to make their way in the game.
RIP

ED Hibee
15-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Very sad. I think I remember seeing him play for Aston Villa against Us in Alan Sneddon’s testimonial. Had a real presence about him as a player. Unbelievable some of the things he had to put up with playing in the 80s.

zitelli62
15-01-2018, 10:26 AM
I remember his goal of the season v Liverpool what a beauty

Deansy
15-01-2018, 10:38 AM
One of my favourite players from that time - skillful, fast, he had it all. He was so powerfully built that defenders just seemed to bounce off him !. So sad to hear of his passing - RIP a true legend !!

Hi Heid Yin
15-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Gosh, I remember this gifted footballer very well.
59 is no great age.
Bless his family and those affected by his loss.

hibsbollah
15-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Definitely a classic 70s icon.unbelievable he got bullets in the post for playing for England in 1982. Changed times.

Keith_M
15-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Very sad. I think I remember seeing him play for Aston Villa against Us in Alan Sneddon’s testimonial. Had a real presence about him as a player. Unbelievable some of the things he had to put up with playing in the 80s.

:agree:

Sad to say that some people still hold the same attitudes but they appear to be in the minority nowadays. They should be shouted down at every opportunity.

Baader
15-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Sad stuff. Can't imagine how hard it mustve been being black and playing football back then. Cyrille started non league as well. A trailblazer and a footballing hero. RIP

MoscowHibs
15-01-2018, 12:32 PM
I had the great pleasure of meeting Cyril in a Cyprus pub in 2008, what an absolute gentleman he was. RIP Cyril.

kaimendhibs
15-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Very sad news.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
15-01-2018, 03:25 PM

I don't imagine any of the ****bags said anything to his face.
A true icon and by all accounts a lovely man.
RIP Cyrille your work is done.

JimBHibees
15-01-2018, 03:27 PM
What a player. Saw him once against Man City years ago when down south with a kids team, picked up the ball in his own half and beat about 3 players before smashing one in. RIP Cyrille

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Is that where the song nice one Cyrille originates from?

stu in nottingham
15-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Really sorry to hear this news about big Cyrille. He was a terrific centre forward, especially at the Baggies who were a great and attractive side at the time.

As has been said by many, black footballers took some horrendous stick off the terraces in that era. I remember Viv Anderson, at Forest, the first black player for England being subjected to similar. Those lads really had to have a special kind of mental resilience to be as excellent as they were.

stu in nottingham
15-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Is that where the song nice one Cyrille originates from?

No, that was about Cyril Knowles the Tottenham full back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUpwSIdpYc

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 04:05 PM
No, that was about Cyril Knowles the Tottenham full back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUpwSIdpYc

Thanks mate 👍

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2018, 04:29 PM
I never realised he was born in France, moved to England aged 5.
Powerhouse of a man who used his physique together with his undoubted skill to leave defenders in his wake.
Who can forget his goal of the season against Liverpool.

ekhibee
15-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Really sorry to hear this news about big Cyrille. He was a terrific centre forward, especially at the Baggies who were a great and attractive side at the time.

As has been said by many, black footballers took some horrendous stick off the terraces in that era. I remember Viv Anderson, at Forest, the first black player for England being subjected to similar. Those lads really had to have a special kind of mental resilience to be as excellent as they were.
I actually thought it was Laurie Cunningham, sadly not with us any more either. That West Brom side were really great to watch, and I have to agree with those descriptions of Regis too, a really talented player on the park, and a gentleman off it.

stu in nottingham
15-01-2018, 06:07 PM
I actually thought it was Laurie Cunningham, sadly not with us any more either. That West Brom side were really great to watch, and I have to agree with those descriptions of Regis too, a really talented player on the park, and a gentleman off it.

You set me thinking there for a minute. I think Laurie was the first at any level, i.e. under-21 level. Viv was the first black full international player for England.

A sign of the times: 'I always wore short sleeve shirts because they were looking at black players wearing gloves and tights thinking they were scared to go out in the cold and I came from Nottingham wearing short sleeves' - Viv Anderson.

That WBA side were just great, another name from them that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is Tony 'Bomber' Brown. Cyrille and his pals left a fine legacy indeed.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Terrible news, he was an outstanding player, very powerful shot as well, I loved watching him on TV in the 70s, no age man, RIP

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2018, 06:18 PM
You set me thinking there for a minute. I think Laurie was the first at any level, i.e. under-21 level. Viv was the first black full international player for England.

A sign of the times: 'I always wore short sleeve shirts because they were looking at black players wearing gloves and tights thinking they were scared to go out in the cold and I came from Nottingham wearing short sleeves' - Viv Anderson.

That WBA side were just great, another name from them that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is Tony 'Bomber' Brown. Cyrille and his pals left a fine legacy indeed.

Ben Odeje took that claim to fame from Cunningham when the FA amended their records.

tamig
15-01-2018, 06:45 PM

They were my favourite English team growing up. Alao had John Wile the captain, Derek Statham, Ally Brown, Len Cantello, a young Bryan Robson. Tony Godden in goals. A fantastically entertaining team to watch.

bigwheel
15-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Had a huge respect for Regis...what a player in his day...it's also easy to forget the level of racism and in-equality that Regis and his contemporaries had to fight, just to get a chance...top player...will be long remembered.

Kato
15-01-2018, 09:07 PM
RIP Cyrille.

Great piece by a Baggies fan here.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/january/a-tribute-to-cyrille-regis/#.Wlz1HzI2GtM.twitter

Nakedmanoncrack
16-01-2018, 12:01 AM
I never realised he was born in France, moved to England aged 5.
Powerhouse of a man who used his physique together with his undoubted skill to leave defenders in his wake.
Who can forget his goal of the season against Liverpool.

Born in an overseas territory in the Caribbean I think.

HoboHarry
16-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis in their pomp in one of my favourite ever games from many years ago. Listen to the early commentary to see how things have changed......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqre2b3inQ

hibsbollah
16-01-2018, 05:34 AM
To be fair to the commentator (Barry Davies, i think?) he's only said 'crowd are booing the black players'. Which is preferable to the collective denial we became used to over the years, and still are in the case of The Rangers sectarianism.

JimBHibees
16-01-2018, 06:17 AM
RIP Cyrille.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/january/a-tribute-to-cyrille-regis/#.Wlz1HzI2GtM.twitter

What a fantastic eulogy that is. :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2018, 09:49 AM
RIP Cyrille.

How can you add to that?

Rest in peace Cyrille

hibsbollah
16-01-2018, 10:01 AM
How can you add to that?

Rest in peace Cyrille

Quite fantastic piece of writing:top marks

FranckSuzy
16-01-2018, 10:26 AM
RIP Cyrille.

Wonderful :not worth RIP Cyrille.

CMurdoch
16-01-2018, 11:24 AM
RIP Cyrille.

Beautifully written eulogy

Scott Allan Key
16-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Slightly before my time, but paved way for those who played in British football still fighting racism, while just trying to excel.

Got me thinking? Who was first black player for Hibs?

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2018, 11:24 PM
The man was a pathfinder, opened the door for what we enjoy today. RIP

wpj
17-01-2018, 06:10 AM
RIP Cyrille.

Now THAT is a tribute. Hard for me to understand the level of hatred generated by people when I was a school boy.its not so long ago as the article makes clear.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Very sad news. Not just a great player but a pioneer too.

I’m sure there’s a documentary about the time he played in a friendly which was blacks versus whites. Scary to think it wasnt that long ago. Going to try and watch it.

Seems to be on BBC2 at 11.15 tonight, no doubt as a consequence of Cyrille's passing.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Slightly before my time, but paved way for those who played in British football still fighting racism, while just trying to excel.

Got me thinking? Who was first black player for Hibs?Ricky Hill?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

--------
18-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Seems to be on BBC2 at 11.15 tonight, no doubt as a consequence of Cyrille's passing.

It was. Excellent piece. It centres on Adrian Chiles' memories of the game - it was a testimonial for Len Cantello at The Hawthorns and covered a whole lot of ground from the '70's up to 2016.

Things have changed, maybe, but not as much as we might like to think.

It's on I-Player - worth a watch.

Mibbes Aye
18-01-2018, 12:49 AM
It was. Excellent piece. It centres on Adrian Chiles' memories of the game - it was a testimonial for Len Cantello at The Hawthorns and covered a whole lot of ground from the '70's up to 2016.

Things have changed, maybe, but not as much as we might like to think.

It's on I-Player - worth a watch.

I thought it was a compelling watch, and interesting to hear the views of players and fans from the time, both black and white.

I'm not a huge fan of Chiles but he handled it fairly sensitively - his obvious WBA allegiance possibly helped.

Sadly your sentence in bold rings true - we've not lacked stories recently about discrimination and racism in the game.

Jim44
18-01-2018, 05:13 AM
I have a very vague recollections of a black ( possibly mixed race )player who played occasionally in Hibs first team around the late fifties. There was a thread on this message board on this theme about eight years ago and I mentioned this guy. At the time I suggested his first name might have been Laurie but in retrospect I think I might have been stupidly confusing him with Laurie Cunningham who of course had no links with Hibs.

Mibbes Aye
18-01-2018, 06:24 AM
I have a very vague recollections of a black ( possibly mixed race )player who played occasionally in Hibs first team around the late fifties. There was a thread on this message board on this theme about eight years ago and I mentioned this guy. At the time I suggested his first name might have been Laurie but in retrospect I think I might have been stupidly confusing him with Laurie Cunningham who of course had no links with Hibs.

I’m guessing the lack of responses to the previous post you were answering was that Hibs didn’t have any black players until relatively recently.

That’s no surprise - my memory of the Panini sticker albums of the early to mid-eighties was that all Scottish teams had pale white guys with rather dodgy and wavy barnets, often with a moustache, perhaps intended to make up for the poor aforementioned barnet.

Apart from the ginger players who had freckles to spare and therefore moustaches were superfluous....

Being serious, Kevin Harper is the first player I can remember.

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 07:13 AM
I’m guessing the lack of responses to the previous post you were answering was that Hibs didn’t have any black players until relatively recently.

That’s no surprise - my memory of the Panini sticker albums of the early to mid-eighties was that all Scottish teams had pale white guys with rather dodgy and wavy barnets, often with a moustache, perhaps intended to make up for the poor aforementioned barnet.

Apart from the ginger players who had freckles to spare and therefore moustaches were superfluous....

Being serious, Kevin Harper is the first player I can remember.Ricky Hill was before him, no?

Jim44
18-01-2018, 07:36 AM

Being serious, Kevin Harper is the first player I can remember.

This guy definitely existed ....... he was probably a minor reserve team player.

HoboHarry
18-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Ricky Hill was before him, no?

I really can't recall Ricky Hill playing for us?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Hill

This Ricky Hill or a different one?

tamig
18-01-2018, 01:46 PM

He was from Bermuda I think and wore about ten strips. Don’t think he played for the first team.

CropleyWasGod
18-01-2018, 02:02 PM

It was a different one.

He wasn't here long. But I think he stuck in folk's minds quite simply because of his race.

JonnyBoy gives him a name-check here...in a reserve game.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xaW8BQAAQBAJ&pg=PT349&lpg=PT349&dq=ricky+hill+hibs&source=bl&ots=Z5ABZAVKmZ&sig=Gif8wOUZzWXQOnoEUUVDkZUlD0s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-_MXz4-HYAhWLAsAKHfyYC7AQ6AEIUDAJ#v=onepage&q=ricky%20hill%20hibs&f=false