PDA

View Full Version : Best (or worst) Easter Road Stadium moment?

wearehibernian
13-01-2018, 03:33 AM
Seeing as we are all just a wee bit bored at the moment...
How did you feel when the old East was cut in half or when they eventually put a roof on it? Or when they built that first new stand or the East Stand? Or when that pish electronic scoreboard was vaguely operating above the old Cow Shed? Did you shed a tear for the dismantling of the old TV gantry above the very old East Terrace? Or even the old main stand, was it a relief to see it finally go?
What about when they supplied yellow kagools for away fans in the old Dunbar End?

:flag:

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 03:36 AM
Gutted when we built the new East, the old East had been my home for many a season! Block 42, Row X, Seat 119

Austinho
13-01-2018, 05:27 AM
Also gutted when they knocked down the East. Used to stand on my seat with my dad, and we’d go flying a row or two forward any time we scored a big goal. Half our view blocked by the TV gantry and pillars. The smell of stale smoke and pish from the toilets at the back still brings back an oddly beautiful nostalgia of my youth.

Worst moment was when they built the new East and didn’t make it symmetrical with the rest of the ground. Does my head in!

Allant1981
13-01-2018, 07:51 AM
i sat under the tv gantry for years and loved it, really good atmosphere, just doesnt have the same feel now

Ozyhibby
13-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Play off against Hamilton. Still haunts me how abysmal those players were. Then putting songs on the tannoy. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southsider
13-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Play off against Hamilton. Still haunts me how abysmal those players were. Then putting songs on the tannoy. [emoji35]

When they put bench seats in the coo-shed. Lost all the vibe. For the Sporting Lisbon game ( nae seats !) I was in about 6pm for a 7.30 k.0. What a night.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 08:37 AM
When they put bench seats in the coo-shed. Lost all the vibe. For the Sporting Lisbon game ( nae seats !) I was in about 6pm for a 7.30 k.0. What a night.

Yes that's the moment it did it for me. Wasn't used to sitting at the fitba and for some reason the atmosphere went right downhill when the seats were put in. Just didn't seem right.

Roxyhibee
13-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Worst - Hamilton penalties. Best - Latapy putting in number 6.

jacomo
13-01-2018, 09:24 AM
One of my favourite ER moments was storming the South Stand after the 2007 Cup Final.

The stand was officially closed and the polis were not going to let us in... but the fans would not be denied entry!

First and only time I’ve been in the South... some shocking graffiti in there!

we are hibs
13-01-2018, 09:29 AM
The new east has grew on me. Didn't feel the same going to Easter road for a few years, the atmosphere and crowds plummeted, not helped by the ***** on the park it has to be said. But now it's brilliant for big games, especially against hearts. The sound of sunshine on leith echoing around the ground is superb. Some of the best atmospheres I've seen at Easter road have been with the new stand. The last 3 derbies at ER being particularly special.

hibbyfraelibby
13-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Best experience had to be the AEK Athens game just as we went into extra time. Was in the South Stand and it was literaly vibrating.

Worst must be the CS gas grenade game vs Celtic.

theonlywayisup
13-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Best experience had to be the AEK Athens game just as we went into extra time. Was in the South Stand and it was literaly vibrating.

Agree with all of that.

For worst I would also add the first home game against Them post Mercer merger. The atmosphere was toxic. One of the very few games I've left early.

wookie70
13-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Worst must be the CS gas grenade game vs Celtic.George Best's home debut was probably the most excited I have been heading to Easter Road and is the biggest crowd at ER I have been in. Easily 30k in my opinion. The AEK Athens game is without a doubt the best atmosphere I have witnessed. The singing section was the whole ground that night. The worst was the east coming down. It needed to happen but it felt like home to me and although I love my seat in the West it's not quite the same. To be honest some of that is because football isn't nearly as interesting as it was.

SRHibs
13-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Was in the terracing for the AEK game and it was just phenomenal. Great game too!

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Worst- either Kilmarnock at home or the following home game vs Hamilton that let to relegation. Gut wrenching sitting there watching a team with no heart sending the club we love in to the championship with no fight

Best - easy. Brondby at home, the first competitive game after 21/05/16 and the display/recognition the fans gave the heroes on their return. Even just being in the stadium about to watch a Europa league game knowing we're there because we're Scottish cup champions. Amazing

Smartie
13-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Gutted when we built the new East, the old East had been my home for many a season! Block 42, Row X, Seat 119

I was in row V seat 115 and the guys to the front and left of me were absolutely hilarious.

Saw them every other week for years, don't think I've seen any of them since.

I loved the old East. We've had some good times in the new stand but it's not the same for me. I didn't think that seating the terrace negatively impacted the old East - everyone just stood anyway. The seats added an extra layer of bedlam to whenever a big goal was scored, with people falling all over the place.

David Murphy hitting an opposition player so hard with a tackle that he did a somersault was a definite highlight.

"False dawn" it may have been, but Charnley's winner v Celtic on Larsson's debut was a great moment.

Lowlights would be the all too frequent sucker punches Hearts had a habit of getting against us - Wayne Foster, Phil Stamp, John Robertson x far too many.

KeithTheHibby
13-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Best feeling might have been Latapys goal in the 6-2 game.
Wasn’t at the home defeat by Hamilton as was on a stag however was present when we lost to Dundee United and were relegated.
Worse moment however may have been getting pumped 7-0 by Malmo. The relegation defeats were to be perhaps expected but that defeat from Malmo wasn’t on the cards.
I don’t have really any sadness about stand replacements.
When you look at what he have now it’s amaxing, modern and still fresh. Unlike some of the other redeveloped grounds we’ve got a pretty top notch stadium.

HFCdeb
13-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Best feeling might have been Latapys goal in the 6-2 game.
Wasn’t at the home defeat by Hamilton as was on a stag however was present when we lost to Dundee United and were relegated.
Worse moment however may have been getting pumped 7-0 by Malmo. The relegation defeats were to be perhaps expected but that defeat from Malmo wasn’t on the cards.
I don’t have really any sadness about stand replacements.
When you look at what he have now it’s amaxing, modern and still fresh. Unlike some of the other redeveloped grounds we’ve got a pretty top notch stadium.

All of this. Malmo was literally a living hell to sit through. I didn't go back to ER for about a year after that.

NAE NOOKIE
13-01-2018, 11:55 AM
I don't have any regrets about the demise of the old east it was a hole, the new one creates a brilliant atmosphere when ER is filled for big games. Like another poster said I wish they had built it a bit closer to the pitch like the old one was, time we extended the ends of the FF and south to meet up with it.

Best moment is a tie between the 6 - 2 thrashing of the Yams and the AEK Athens game ... all these years later ER has never managed to replicate that night, I think everybody in the ground was singing for the whole game.

The worst was a few years ago when we were beaten 4 - 0 I think it was by St Johnstone ... we were absolutely abject and it was freezing. I can genuinely say its the one and only time I have left ER after a game wondering if I would be back, thank fk these days are behind us.

jacomo
13-01-2018, 12:35 PM
I don't have any regrets about the demise of the old east it was a hole, the new one creates a brilliant atmosphere when ER is filled for big games. Like another poster said I wish they had built it a bit closer to the pitch like the old one was, time we extended the ends of the FF and south to meet up with it.

Best moment is a tie between the 6 - 2 thrashing of the Yams and the AEK Athens game ... all these years later ER has never managed to replicate that night, I think everybody in the ground was singing for the whole game.

The worst was a few years ago when we were beaten 4 - 0 I think it was by St Johnstone ... we were absolutely abject and it was freezing. I can genuinely say its the one and only time I have left ER after a game wondering if I would be back, thank fk these days are behind us.

How very dare you. :wink:

I accept the old East didn’t do much for the rest of the ground, but if you were in it that didn’t matter. The roof kept the noise in and the view out at the other three stands was good, especially under the lights.

snooky
13-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Best - arriving slightly late but just in time to see Bobby Duncan's piledriver against Napoli
Worst - Seeing Onion's leg-break.

weecounty hibby
13-01-2018, 02:52 PM
My best would be the first time as a four year old being taken to the old North stand for my first game by my uncle Gordon. The worst was the last game of the old main stand. Took my uncle along to the old North for that game for nostalgia as it was where we first went and realised due to his health and how much he struggled that it would be the last game that he went to.
For purely football the best would be either the Souness debut or bearing Celtic 4-3 in the SC. Worst is a toss up between the relegation game v Hamilton or the game where we got beat 4-0 by Dundee the week after selling Mickey Weir to Luton

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2018, 03:04 PM

I agree with both.

Keith_M
13-01-2018, 03:11 PM
I was thrilled when the East Terrace was finally covered in 85(I think). I couldn't believe how much more noise we could make.

I actually remember going to one game a bit late and being able to hear the Hibs support in full voice from halfway along Montgomery Street. Considering our crowds then were only around 5-6k, it was quite surprising.

O'Rourke3
13-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Best - probably a European night - so my first. 6-1 versus Malmo.

Worst - all named above. Relegation to United and Hamilton bad, Brownlie's leg break - awful, 0-7 to Malmo... but the CS Gas moment made me think about dumping football forever.

hibby6270
13-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Being the age I am, lots of ‘bests’ and probably just as many ‘worsts’. Difficult to choose specifics.

2 ‘bests’ - Latapy’s goal in the 6-2 game and Riordan’s 30 yard screamer against Hertz (Craig Gordon).

2 ‘worsts’ - strangely, both were 4-3 defeats in games we should/could have won.

One against Rangers. We were 2-1 up at halftime. Went 3-1 up straight after the break. Then enter one Paul Gasgoigne. Scored a couple of goals, one a brilliant direct free kick. It was a game we shouldn’t have lost but did - ‘thanks’ to Gazza.

Second was a League Cup tie against Morton. 3-3 and they were given a free kick with seconds to go. It was never a foul but hey ho. They scored to win the game. I was gutted because we had played really well that night and didn’t deserve to get beat. Nothing changes eh?

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Being the age I am, lots of ‘bests’ and probably just as many ‘worsts’. Difficult to choose specifics.

2 ‘bests’ - Latapy’s goal in the 6-2 game and Riordan’s 30 yard screamer against Hertz (Craig Gordon).

2 ‘worsts’ - strangely, both were 4-3 defeats in games we should/could have won.

One against Rangers. We were 2-1 up at halftime. Went 3-1 up straight after the break. Then enter one Paul Gasgoigne. Scored a couple of goals, one a brilliant direct free kick. It was a game we shouldn’t have lost but did - ‘thanks’ to Gazza.

Second was a League Cup tie against Morton. 3-3 and they were given a free kick with seconds to go. It was never a foul but hey ho. They scored to win the game. I was gutted because we had played really well that night and didn’t deserve to get beat. Nothing changes eh?

Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4

Numptie
13-01-2018, 04:02 PM
When Albertz took his 30 yard run up you could tell it was going in. We had dominated the game up til then.

Famous Fiver
13-01-2018, 04:13 PM
1) The night we beat Barcelona.
2) The night we beat Real Madrid.

hibby6270
13-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4

I’ll watch the highlights in a minute. Before I do, did Gasgoigne get fouled for the Albertz free kick? Maybe that’s my recollection of how he ‘influenced’ the game and I’ve misremembered thinking he scored twice. Age catching upon me.:wink:

hibby6270
13-01-2018, 04:57 PM

Ach well. Let’s call it an honourable draw.:greengrin
You got the goal scorers right. I got the Gazza free kick correct.
Seeing the highlights, we had mor3 than enough chances to win the game.
I recall that Negri fella was quite a goal machine. Over 30 goals before Xmas iirc.

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 05:02 PM
I recall that Negri fella was quite a goal machine. Over 30 goals before Xmas iirc.

I remember watching the game from FFL, spewing. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I'm sure Negri scored a Hatrick against us in another game at ER that may have finished 3-4 to Rangers as well.

WHAM
13-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I used to love the old East. I always went into the same area since I started going regularly when I was 5 and then had the same seat in the front row down the stairwell to the left of the tv gantry for about 11/12 years until it was demolished.

Walking up the stairs at the turnstiles then down the steps into my seat was just so routine that it still feels a bit strange. If I ever dream about Hibs, I still dream that the old stand is there. Lol.

I do miss the madness in there. Probably the wildest stand in Scottish football in modern times. I suppose most teams will say that about their own “wild” area but the bench seating, smell of weed, low roof etc just added to it. Friends who support other teams all say the same.

The atmosphere at the AEK game was unbelievable. But the last minute Garry O’Connor winner (we only need 10 men) is probably the craziest celebration that I can remember.

Jones28
13-01-2018, 05:44 PM
My best is probably the Dnipro game, packed to the rafters with 17500 Hibees, missed the Athens game as we lived abroad at the time.

Storming the south stand after winning the league cup was awesome, literally one of the first 4 or 5 bodies through the gates. I remember the people invading the pitch and when coming off one of them was greeted by a paggering by the hero known to my cousins who were there and myself as "fat bob". He came running down the steps from the back of the south and met the guy that came back over the barriers with a haymaker. Brilliant.

Worst is probably watching the decline of the team over the 2/3 years, can't actually put that in to one game. Gave up my season ticket the year before we went down and missed the play offs against accies.

CropleyWasGod
13-01-2018, 06:20 PM
My best is probably the Dnipro game, packed to the rafters with 17500 Hibees, missed the Athens game as we lived abroad at the time.

Storming the south stand after winning the league cup was awesome, literally one of the first 4 or 5 bodies through the gates. I remember the people invading the pitch and when coming off one of them was greeted by a paggering by the hero known to my cousins who were there and myself as "fat bob". He came running down the steps from the back of the south and met the guy that came back over the barriers with a haymaker. Brilliant.

Worst is probably watching the decline of the team over the 2/3 years, can't actually put that in to one game. Gave up my season ticket the year before we went down and missed the play offs against accies.

The bit that got the celebrations cut short, you mean?

Bishop Hibee
13-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Best moments: 6-2 game, Hibs 4-3 Celtc SC quarter final, Hands of Hibs rally, Sunshine on Leith st the AEK Athens game.

Worst moments: the 2 relegations, CS gas v Celtc, Wayne Forster winner.

Tornadoes70
13-01-2018, 09:08 PM
One of my favourite moments perversely was being at the fairly flat poor match between us and Dundee Utd when it erupted upon hearing of Sir Albert Kidd's heroics and it becoming known that the Yams had hertzed it in the biggest bottle crash of all time. What had been a very poor football game at ER turned into great joy going home that glorious day.

The two cup games 4-4 and 4-3 against Celtic were very good games. One being the Pierce O Leary penalty miss. Can't remember the exact year. Remember terrific atmospheres at them both.

1980 was the worst year for me with Aberdeen winning the league at Easter Road and us going down in the same year albeit in saying that our family went to every match the next season and for a young lad like myself it was great fun travelling all round the country to grounds I'd never been to before.

Gloty Glory

hibby6270
13-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Best moments: 6-2 game, Hibs 4-3 Celtc SC quarter final, Hands of Hibs rally, Sunshine on Leith st the AEK Athens game.

Worst moments: the 2 relegations, CS gas v Celtc, Wayne Forster winner.

Wow. Wayne Foster. Forgot about that cup game. Another game we dominated and came out the wrong side of the result.:rolleyes:

Mibbes Aye
13-01-2018, 09:33 PM

There were some right battles between us and Rangers round about then. They had undeniably a stellar side but we usually gave them a game.

Best for me was the double penalty in the closing stages when we beat them 2-1 at ER. What a rollercoaster of emotion.

David_D
13-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Best for me was either the AEK game or the 1-0 against hearts when we wrongly had Brebner sent off. Hadn't long got back from a family holiday and was convinced would miss the game.

Ringothedog
13-01-2018, 10:07 PM
My worst was the 79/80 season when we got relegated, we were abysmal.

My best was the 8-1 v Ayr utd and the parading of the League cup and Drybrough Cup in 1972

Jones28
13-01-2018, 10:23 PM
The bit that got the celebrations cut short, you mean?

That would be the pitch invasion, you mean?

Ayrshire Hibee
13-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Was at all 4 games but missed Riordan's goal so substitute that game with the unbeatable derby 2-0 2005

So true about the two 4-3 defeats :-\

Ayrshire Hibee
13-01-2018, 10:59 PM

My reply above was for this post :-D

heretoday
14-01-2018, 01:04 AM
The worst was seeing Hibs knocked out of Europe twice by Leeds United when we should have won both ties.

TelaStella
14-01-2018, 04:21 AM
For more recent times the derby wins have been great and all but when we dumped the huns 4-0 just after Christmas in 2014 I think? That was unbelievable and I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see us hammer that mob like that ever again. Worst ER moment for me has to of been the Hamilton play off. Not nice scenes on and off the pitch that day.

Hibrandenburg
14-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Late seventies I used to stand next to the tunnel in the standing enclosure, was good for getting autographs from players coming up the tunnel. Was stood there during a Rangers game when John MacDonald got sent off, when he came up the tunnel he spat a huge greasy gob in my face. Absolute minging thing to do to a young laddie, even if he was being given a hard time by the fans on his departure.

IGRIGI
14-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Ones that haven't been mentioned for me are both from the Mowbray era, one would be the game vs Killie where we were 2 nil down at half time and won 4-2 and another when Riordan got a winner vs Motherwell in what felt like the 98th minute (think it was 2-1 in the end).

Worst would be when that fat B Phil Stamp and McKenna scored really late on in a derby to win it for them, sitting near the South stand near the West wasn't pleasant...

Also an honourable mention to the Williamson era as a whole which drained any enjoyment out of going to ER, at one point I was praying for record low attendances just so the board would pull the trigger.

iwasthere1972
14-01-2018, 02:44 PM
The worst was seeing Hibs knocked out of Europe twice by Leeds United when we should have won both ties.

I was at both but they wouldn't even feature in my top 50 of worst.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Ian Murrays tackle on Hinkel in front of West Stand. Hit him like a train,one of the hardest tackles I can ever remember seeing.

SonOfDavidFrancey
14-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Best 6-0 v Falkirk and looking up to the half time scoreboard to see Partick were 4-0 against Celtic in the League cup final.

Worst. Juventus and the arrival of their ancient sub Altafini.

speedy_gonzales
14-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Ian Murrays tackle on Hinkel in front of West Stand. Hit him like a train,one of the hardest tackles I can ever remember seeing.

Seen to remember him doing the same to Fraser Fyvie in one of his earlier games for the Dons. Fairly sure Fyvie missed a few games after that as well!

snooky
14-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Seen to remember him doing the same to Fraser Fyvie in one of his earlier games for the Dons. Fairly sure Fyvie missed a few games after that as well!

Iirc, Fraser was only about 17 years old at the time and that's why there was a big outcry about it.
If you fly with the craws you get shot with the craws, I guess.

speedy_gonzales
14-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Iirc, Fraser was only about 17 years old at the time and that's why there was a big outcry about it.
If you fly with the craws you get shot with the craws, I guess.
Aye, tough one as you never want to see a player get injured but in that particular game Fraser wasn't holding back and leaving his boot in, Murray just plain nailed him and walked away leaving Fyvie rolling about in front of the dug outs.

kaimendhibs
14-01-2018, 06:18 PM
My worst moment was turning quickly on the old terracing and banging my head on a crush barrier. Hit the deck and had a lump on my forehead like a duck egg. Worse followed when home cos my mum said I wasnt to.go in 1st place

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

McD
14-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Aye, tough one as you never want to see a player get injured but in that particular game Fraser wasn't holding back and leaving his boot in, Murray just plain nailed him and walked away leaving Fyvie rolling about in front of the dug outs.

Iirc, it wasn’t even a free kick, correctly. Murray had an opportunity to win the ball fairly but clean him out as well, which he did.

didnt mark McGhee start whining after the game, basically saying players shouldn’t be allowed to tackle young laddies, conveniently forgetting he as the manager who picked him for a senior match.

Hermit Crab
14-01-2018, 07:12 PM
One of the worst for me was being in the old east when Stamp scored in injury time to win the game for hearts, a match where we hammered them for 89 minutes and blew it.

cmcd
14-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Iirc, it wasn’t even a free kick, correctly. Murray had an opportunity to win the ball fairly but clean him out as well, which he did.

didnt mark McGhee start whining after the game, basically saying players shouldn’t be allowed to tackle young laddies, conveniently forgetting he as the manager who picked him for a senior match.
Toss up between Real Madrid and Sporting Lisbon. Worst too many to chose one

kaimendhibs
14-01-2018, 07:13 PM
One of the worst for me was being in the old east when Stamp scored in injury time to win the game for hearts, a match where we hammered them for 89 minutes and blew it.Arghhh. That was bad. Along with Foster in the cup game

Hermit Crab
14-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Arghhh. That was bad. Along with Foster in the cup game

Foster cup game I was in the old north with my old man. He went scatty.

cmcd
14-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Changed my mind Leeds Utd when Billy Bremner was all that stood between us and Victory

Famous Fiver
14-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Proudest by a country mile.

Joe Baker kissing the hallowed turf. I knew from that minute Wallet Mercer was doomed to failure.

iwasthere1972
14-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Best would be any win against the Jambos especially in the Scottish Cup and that night against Napoli when Dino Zoff and teammates thought they were just in Edinburgh to visit the castle, buy some shortbread and whisky before playing a 'friendly' against Hibernian. Little did they know, include me and thousands of others who were at the game, what was going to happen. Result and Italians away home to nurse their wounds.

Worst. That day against Hamilton. When the match went to penalties that was the first time I thought we could be relegated.

kaimendhibs
14-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Foster cup game I was in the old north with my old man. He went scatty.Dave Beumont[emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

Hermit Crab
14-01-2018, 07:51 PM
Dave Beumont[emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

:agree:, take him out, take the red card.

WoreTheGreen
14-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Went to dumfie game a copper at the gate was D B was told you useless —— hope can catch burglers better than foster

Nameless
14-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Malonga's goal against Aberdeen was pretty special...... I miss him more than I thought I would.... I think about him sometimes... I wonder if he thinks about us....I hope he does...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
14-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Went to dumfie game a copper at the gate was D B was told you useless —— hope can catch burglers better than foster

More like 'Hi Dave can I have your autograph. I'll be back for a Selfie when they're invented' :agree:

stoneyburn hibs
14-01-2018, 08:48 PM
Malonga's goal against Aberdeen was pretty special...... I miss him more than I thought I would.... I think about him sometimes... I wonder if he thinks about us....I hope he does...

Maybe you should write to him and explain your feelings.

Biggie
14-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Worst - Dave Beaument game vs hearts
Best - GO'Connor winner vs hearts

Nameless
14-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Maybe you should write to him and explain your feelings.The judge said I wasn't allowed to contact him.

14-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Was sad to see the old East go. Lot of good memories but it was time to go, the stadium needed modernized and taken to the next step. It would have been wrong to keep it just for sentimental reasons. We now have a much bigger capacity stadium which looks cracking especially when full.

erin go bragh
14-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Best! Too many too choose just one .
Joint first in no particular order is Aek Athens 3-2 , Hearts shortest reign of the cup since 1894 1-0 , knocking Celtic out of both cups pens(4-3) ,4-3 . Old Rangers Souness debut 2-1 .