PDA

View Full Version : Funniest moment you've seen at the match

McrHibee
13-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Being new to this forum, apologies if a similar post has been put on here before, but with it still being the mid-season break and football being light on the Easter Road ground, I was just wondering...

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only for a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

So, what's the funniest thing you've seen when going to the match, off the pitch, that you remember... and still laugh about now...

Penicuik Hibee
13-01-2018, 01:23 AM
Being new to this forum, apologies if a similar post has been put on here before, but with it still being the mid-season break and football being light on the Easter Road ground, I was just wondering...

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

So, what's the funniest thing you've seen when going to the match, off the pitch, that you remember... and still laugh about now...

james Keatings scoring and tries to slide on his knees to salute the fans. But it goes wrong and he almost does a somersault. Then SJM takes the piss out of him. Classic

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2018, 01:43 AM
I always used to wear my Hibs tops when i watched Cheltenham and gave Andy Kirk pelters every time he played against Cheltenham for Boston, Northampton & Yeovil,never saw many ex jambos down south years ago, I always stand just behind the goal and every time he was within earshot he got both barrels, and to his credit he did take it well, maybe he thought it was just banter !! a few years later I was up at wedding in Dunfermline and decided to take in a game, so I wore my Cheltenham top and went in with the away fans (can't remember who) and proceeded to give him heaps more, the words '' Kirk, you're still a dirty jambo b******d" came out as he was stood by the near post, he turned round and saw me in the Cheltenham top, his face was a picture, his reply "Aw ffs can you no leave me in peace "

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2018, 01:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8yEfn2rwI

This up there as well, fortunately I never got interviewed but a few of the mates I went with did, one who shall remain nameless was absolutely blootered !!! never thought that it would be aired , best away match ever for me, some craic

speedy_gonzales
13-01-2018, 02:02 AM

This up there as well, fortunately I never got interviewed but a few of the mates I went with did, one who shall remain nameless was absolutely blootered !!! never thought that it would be aired , best away match ever for me, some craic
Recognise a few faces there that sit or have sat around me in the East,,,,must have been fair roasting there as the lads were fairly taking on the fluids :greengrin

13-01-2018, 02:03 AM
james Keatings scoring and tries to slide on his knees to salute the fans. But it goes wrong and he almost does a somersault. Then SJM takes the piss out of him. Classic

I think Keats tried to style it out as if nothing had gone wrong didn't he?

13-01-2018, 02:05 AM

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only for a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

1-1 away to Dunfermline earlier this year, Grant Holt came on with about 10 minutes to go. The Dunfermline fans were chanting get your tits out for the lads. Holt lifted his top, licked his finger and provocatively circled it around his nipple and got a huge cheer from the fans who had been chanting at him.

SteveHFC
13-01-2018, 02:06 AM

That was some trip. :agree:

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2018, 02:09 AM
Recognise a few faces there that sit or have sat around me in the East,,,,must have been fair roasting there as the lads were fairly taking on the fluids :greengrin

Oh it was awfy warm, needed to keep well hydrated, cracking bunch of lads, was a fantastic trip, one of them has a load of photos somewhere on a disc , not sure if they'll be able to find them but would love to see them all again

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 02:10 AM
Not so much off the pitch. A couple of seasons ago at Easter Road and I think it was against Queen of the South. Hibs score a last gasp goal to win the game 2-1 when suddenly a wee Hibs fan (could have only been about five year old) ran on the pitch at the FF end, gave the stewards the slip and ran the full length of the pitch before goading the away fans. A couple of minutes before that happened it looked like we were only getting a point so a win and the wee boy made me leave the ground with a smile on my face. Brilliant.

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2018, 02:11 AM

The best for me (outside a certain day in May'16)

McrHibee
13-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Some great stories already here fellas, Nice one.... I can see this thread hopefully running for a while :flag:

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 02:23 AM
Some great stories already here fellas, Nice one.... I can see this thread hopefully running for a while :flag:

Sixteen pages. :agree:

There was the time I queued at half time in the old east about 1983/4 for pies for myself and my brother only to find out that when it was my turn to get served that they were only selling match programs. :doh: Or is it programmes. They were okay but could have done with a bit broon sauce on them to take away the dryness. :greengrin

OsloHibs
13-01-2018, 03:15 AM
Artur boruc at ER.. What a day that was!

WeveGotMcginn
13-01-2018, 03:27 AM
Artur boruc at ER.. What a day that was!

Leaving his gloves on the pitch at full time 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 03:31 AM

How old were you? 9, 10? :greengrin

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 03:34 AM
A well known and respected Hibs fan bursting a whole row of seats as he sat down in Dinaburg Latvia when we were in the Inter Toto cup springs to mind! The noise was that loud even the players stopped and turned round to see what it was. :greengrin.

wpj
13-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Against Aberdeen in the 80s. Someone decided it would be a good idea for a man to drive the Sinclair C5 around the ground at half time. The guy got pelted with pies, bovril and all sorts as he made his way around with both sets of supporters having a go

MSK
13-01-2018, 07:09 AM
At the hibs v hearts game at ER two young lads poss 8 or 9 yo lower ff, were shouting at Ally McCoist to acknowledge them, Ally gave them a smile & a thumbs up, both lads at the same time proceded to give him the middle finger 🖕🖕his face was priceless 😆

The Harp
13-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Way back in the mists of time (probably the 60s), we were playing Airdrie at ER. To say the football on offer was dire would be an understatement. The ball goes out of play and into the crowd near the front of the old East terracing. Whereupon a Hibs fan picks up the ball and runs all the way up to the very top of the high terracing, drops the ball onto his foot and wellies it out of the ground, to great applause from the suffering Hibees in attendance. If I remember correctly he was arrested for his trouble.
I'm sure I read in the press days later, that the then chairman, Tom Hart, presented the guy with a season ticket for his actions.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 08:40 AM
At the hibs v hearts game at ER two young lads poss 8 or 9 yo lower ff, were shouting at Ally McCoist to acknowledge them, Ally gave them a smile & a thumbs up, both lads at the same time proceded to give him the middle finger ����his face was priceless ��

Strangely enough I was in the FF Lower that night and I do remember seeing Coisty giving the thumbs up. Didn't see the middle finger reply so just thought that Sally knew somebody in the crowd. Or maybe that he was a big Hibs fan on the quiet.

MSK
13-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Strangely enough I was in the FF Lower that night and I do remember seeing Coisty giving the thumbs up. Didn't see the middle finger reply so just thought that Sally knew somebody in the crowd. Or maybe that he was a big Hibs fan on the quiet.There were a few hibs fans giving him the thumbs up & he seemed to be lapping it up, until the young lads gave him the middle fingered salute anyway 😆

SirDavidsNapper
13-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Someone from the old east stand throwing a rugby ball on the park during a derby when Hearts were considering yet another move to Murrayfield. Craig Gordon picked the ball up and threw it rugby style back towards the touchline. Made me chuckle.

BoomtownHibees
13-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Around the time of Hearts talking of moving to Murrayfield, derby at ER, ball goes in to the old East with Craig Gordon waiting to take a free kick. Out comes a rugby ball launched on to the pitch!!

Perfect timing and was funny as ****

Edit: Too slow 😂

AllyT
13-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Can't remember exactly when but Mickey Weir pulling a (think) St Johnstone players shorts down at Easter Road, gave away a free kick if I remember rightly. Was funny at the time. Think it was late 80's early 90's

SouthMoroccoStu
13-01-2018, 09:17 AM
When Celtic visited Easter Road after rumour new had broken that Gary Caldwell had been having an affair with a rangers cheerleader

The chant of “What’s it like to s**g a hun?”

Even his team mate Paul Hartley was in stitches

GreenArmy1875
13-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Raith away in a friendly. Ball gets kicked out the park and it hits a front door then bounces off down the road. An elderly woman then answers the door and then looks about to see who knocked on her door 😂 funny thing during a very boring game.

LancsHibs
13-01-2018, 09:41 AM
My dad and I still laugh at this. Would have been some time in the 80’s the refreshment hut caught fire during the game at the back of the old ‘cowshed’, short time later a bloke comes back to his seat clutching some black pies and with what looked like soot round his mouth declaring ‘get yourselves up there there selling them off for 10p’. :big grin:Some folk just hate to miss a bargain!

hibbyfraelibby
13-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Funniest moment? Hibs v Hearts at ER. Stevie Fulton gets a yellow card and the East Stand erupts into a spontaneous chant of "Booked 'cos you're ugly" . Even Fulton grinned at that.

theonlywayisup
13-01-2018, 09:53 AM
I always laugh when I remember a game against Celtic.

We were rubbish and losing 4-0 or 5-0.

After a misplaced pass, the Celtic fans sung "You're not very good". Straight away the East Stand sings "You're not very clean"

Diclonius
Raith away in a friendly. Ball gets kicked out the park and it hits a front door then bounces off down the road. An elderly woman then answers the door and then looks about to see who knocked on her door 😂 funny thing during a very boring game.

Winner.

Terrible 0-0 draw before the start of the most boring season ever (Mixu 08-09), one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. The woman opened the door to see a whole stand of football fans laughing at her.

Colr
Funniest moment? Hibs v Hearts at ER. Stevie Fulton gets a yellow card and the East Stand erupts into a spontaneos chant of "Booked 'cos you're ugly" . Even Fulton grinned at that.

Remember that!!

TRC
13-01-2018, 10:00 AM
As a youngster, sitting in the east there was what seemed at the time an absolute monster of a guy that sat about 1-2 rows in front of me he looked like Shaun Dennis. Anyway we were playing Dundee United Billy Dodds scored must have been confused or trying to wind us up. He ran to the east to celebrate big Shaun Dennis look a like takes exception to this, launches his half eaten pie covered in brown sauce right at him, lands slap bang in the middle of his strip, proceeds to run down his strip, looking like a massive turd had been wiped on it!! Had me in stitches.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2018, 10:10 AM
A few years back I sat in front of a guy who absolutely hated Mixu as a player. Every week he gave him absolute pelters for 90 minutes. 'Can't ****ing jump', 'at least challenge ya fat ****', '**** off back to Lapland' were a few of his insults.

One game, may have been against Motherwell, he had slaughtered him all game when Mixu popped up with a late winner. Guy was up celebrating when a guy behind him started shouting 'sit doon ya ****ing hypocrite' and tried to force him back into his seat. The 2 of them spent about 2 minutes wrestling before both sitring down looking a bit daft.

Stokesy's on fire
13-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Gary Deegan stripping down Peter Pawlett. That was funny!

keep the faith
13-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Along with the "booked for being ugly" situation it would definitely be the kujabi free kick at ER. The whole ground laughing at his attempt was priceless. 😂

Smartie
13-01-2018, 10:38 AM
The "shrieking Tam Scobbie" match was hilarious.

Scobbie went down under a heavy challenge in front of the old East and made a bizarre shrieking noise.

For the rest of the game, whenever the ball went near Scobbie the whole East mimicked the shrieking noise.

I've never heard anything like it before or since, and it was hilarious.

A mate of mine who didn't support Hibs had come along with me for the day and the whole match experience meant he had the time of his life. He came with me regularly for a few years after that before moving away from Edinburgh.

No idea what happened during the actual game of football.

Aim Here
13-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Way back in the mists of time (probably the 60s), we were playing Airdrie at ER. To say the football on offer was dire would be an understatement. The ball goes out of play and into the crowd near the front of the old East terracing. Whereupon a Hibs fan picks up the ball and runs all the way up to the very top of the high terracing, drops the ball onto his foot and wellies it out of the ground, to great applause from the suffering Hibees in attendance. If I remember correctly he was arrested for his trouble.
I'm sure I read in the press days later, that the then chairman, Tom Hart, presented the guy with a season ticket for his actions.

I'm just reading Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein, and this is recounted. Apparently the chairman (Harry Swan according to Macpherson) got the charges dropped and gave the season ticket on the grounds that at least the spectator knew what he was doing with the ball, unlike some of the players. The manager took that as a hint that his days were numbered, resigned, and they brought Jock Stein in to replace him.

It seems to have been one of the most effective single kicks of the ball in Hibs history!

KdyHby
13-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Vague memory back in the mists of time, Ally McMoist having returned to Scotland from Sunderland joined the now defunct Rangers. The Scottish rags started suggesting that he was being lined up for his first Scotland cap just before a match at Easter Road. McMoist makes a ridiculous mistake in front of the East Stand, and we instantly start chanting "Ally for Scotland, ha ha ha ha ha". To his credit, McMoist burst out laughing.

NAE NOOKIE
13-01-2018, 11:17 AM
The night we beat Hearts 2 - 1 under Butcher I think it was ..... Outside the Loch Inn some of the more boisterous young lads were dancing on one of the tables when it gave way, Hibbies and beer bottles everywhere :greengrin

On the field the day Paul Hartley was warming up for Hibs behind the goals, he didn't realise the ref had restarted the game with a drop ball which Hibs had kicked back to the opposition keeper ... he ran onto the park and booted the ball back up the pitch, the ref booked him and gave the opposition a free kick just outside our box :faf:

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Along with the "booked for being ugly" situation it would definitely be the kujabi free kick at ER. The whole ground laughing at his attempt was priceless. ��

This one. I was obviously in the east and to be truthful the ball had more chance of hitting me than the net. A shocker.

https://youtu.be/xU92bJdIROM

snooky
13-01-2018, 11:38 AM
I remember taking two lady visitors to a Hibs' v Aberdeen game at ER. When the East started singing "You're just sheep-sh****** b******s. I was asked to explain what they were singing. They said that it wasn't very nice saying that about the other team. Just then the Aberdeen supporters started singing "We know we're sheep-sh****** b******s".
Timing is everything :greengrin

MSK
13-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Ever so slightly hibs/football related 😁

Many years back my Brother and I were having a few pints and games of pool in JPs (Meadowbank snooker) as we done before most home games at the time.

The place was quiet when all of a sudden there was a loud crash then a loud thump followed by a huge cloud of dust and a huge hole in the ceiling. When the dust cleared we saw a young dust covered lad clutching a football. I wondered what the **** I had been drinking 😆

Apparantly he was having a kick about in the lane beside the club with his mate and the ball landed on what must have been a weak part of the roof and it suddenly caved in with his weight so he decided to drop in on us 😆

SouthMoroccoStu
13-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Ivan Sproule skinning 4 Gretna players, rounding the keeper only to put the ball clear over the crossbar

Even the home fans cheered that

Eyrie
13-01-2018, 11:55 AM
One that sticks in my mind was Henry Smith preparing to take a goal kick with us giving it the big build up "Woooaaaa!"

He responded by cupping his ears (being Hibs fans, we didn't find this offensive, just upped the volume) and then launched the ball ..... straight out for a Hibs throw in.

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2018, 12:47 PM
This one. I was obviously in the east and to be truthful the ball had more chance of hitting me than the net. A shocker.

https://youtu.be/xU92bJdIROM

https://youtu.be/FBs6TUo-QG8

I know it's not Hibs related, but we were all poorless with laughter watching this at at Tranmere

Just Jimmy
13-01-2018, 12:55 PM
at the PBS. some herts mutant giving it big licks to us as he came down the stairs, tripped, landed on his back as his pizza flew up and straight back down...landing square in his puss.

hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ayrshire Hibee
13-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Too many mention but here's a few....

Rugby Park Friday night sky TV game and really poor weather... half time draw for a car is won by someone in the home end, he proceeds to run from top of the stairs level with the half way line and disappears (he's took a fall) appears at the bottom hand in air still clutching his winning ticket!!! THEN A Steward proceeded to coat us in sawdust from a bucket he was meant to be putting on the floor to stop people from slipping...not so funny

Nov 5th 2005 away to Livi...down 1-0 and Deano warming up behind goal gets a shout to come on....he's being pestered for his hibs gloves by a group of teens near the front behind the goal....throws the gloves to the group of guys and what ensues is a mêlée that evolves punches flung and people falling over advertising boards....we went on to win the game 2-1

Edinburgh airport day after 9\11, waiting in departures and my old man picks out a huge guy and says I hope am no sitting next to him.....on the plane the guy walks up sits directly in front of my dad and his seat flew so far back he could not use the tray in front of him for entire journey.....I laughed the whole journey only to find out when we landed UEFA had cancelled all matches!

Northernhibee
13-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Kujabi's free kick.

G-Reg
13-01-2018, 04:11 PM
I remember a game when Tony Rougier was playing against us for Raith at ER and he chased a ball to try and prevent it going out for a throw in near the half way line and he ran crotch 1st into the orange emergency phone box next to the east stand, there was a loud ooooo followed by alot of laughter

Arch Stanton
13-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Hibs away to Dunfermline who had just installed a synthetic pitch which was shockingly poor quality - a bit like B&Q's artificial grass.

Cue a streaker who ended his run with a swallow dive onto the pitch - more of an 'ouch' moment than plain hilarious. When the steward helped him up you could already see the red welts appearing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2018, 04:18 PM
A well known and respected Hibs fan bursting a whole row of seats as he sat down in Dinaburg Latvia when we were in the Inter Toto cup springs to mind! The noise was that loud even the players stopped and turned round to see what it was. :greengrin.

They were well prepared with the fire engine in the corner though! :-)

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Hibs away to Dunfermline who had just installed a synthetic pitch which was shockingly poor quality - a bit like B&Q's artificial grass.

Cue a streaker who ended his run with a swallow dive onto the pitch - more of an 'ouch' moment than plain hilarious. When the steward helped him up you could already see the red welts appearing.

Did he not run off the pitch and climb up the roof of the stand?

Hibs were the first and last away team to play a competitive match on that pitch IIRC

hibby6270
13-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Larsson to Charnley..................... :greengrin
Pick that one out!! :aok:

jabis
13-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Hibs v st Johnstone

Mickey weir(5foot)tries to get past John mclelland(7foot),fails,so decides to pull down McClelland's shorts,ref gives a foul.

Cue McClelland pulling up his nether garment,storm up to a worried looking Mickey.......and planting a big kiss on the top of his head. :top marks

jabis
13-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Missed penalty.

From behind me "Houchen if you had 5 free shots at John Lennon,he'd still be alive"

Delivered with a fair amount of venom.

Fergos
13-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Davie Bowman whilst playing for Utd coming over to the old East to take a throw sporting a terrible hair do....someone shouted "Bowman yer hairs no well". Priceless.

80s match v Thistle, guy behind me kept shouting "Cmon Hibs get intae these Patrick tramps" - whilst wearing a snorkel with hood up during August and chords, both very un trendy at the time.

Lad I "knew" coming out toilets behind the old East years ago, dropped a test tube like container which a friendly policeman helped pick up and hand it back to him, illegal kingsize still inside....

GGTTH

Hermit Crab
13-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Davie Bowman whilst playing for Utd coming over to the old East to take a throw sporting a terrible hair do....someone shouted "Bowman yer hairs no well". Priceless.

80s match v Thistle, guy behind me kept shouting "Cmon Hibs get intae these Patrick tramps" - whilst wearing a snorkel with hood up during August and chords, both very un trendy at the time.

Lad I "knew" coming out toilets behind the old East years ago, dropped a test tube like container which a friendly policeman helped pick up and hand it back to him, illegal kingsize still inside....

GGTTH

:faf:

HappyAsHellas
13-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Bobby Jamieson running over to grab the linesman by the throat and half throttle him - never seen anything like it before or since.

A big fat woman getting stuck in the turnstiles for the old east and the fire brigade had to cut her out - she got some abuse that day.

Climbing into ER at night circa 1972 and having a kick about on the hallowed ground.

Non ER one was Wembley when a Scottish fan was killed diving into the fountain. Cue a total silence as word got out what had happened. This was broken by a very loud voice shouting "Has he goat a ticket".

Famousfivehh
13-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Hibs v Celtic linesman hit with a pie then a boy was on and squaring up to same linesman. Boy Jumped back into the East and cops tried to lift wrong guy. Pandemonium.

WoreTheGreen
13-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Bobby Jamieson running over to grab the linesman by the throat and half throttle him - never seen anything like it before or since.

A big fat woman getting stuck in the turnstiles for the old east and the fire brigade had to cut her out - she got some abuse that day.

Climbing into ER at night circa 1972 and having a kick about on the hallowed ground.

Non ER one was Wembley when a Scottish fan was killed diving into the fountain. Cue a total silence as word got out what had happened. This was broken by a very loud voice shouting "Has he goat a ticket".

Thompson?

cabbageandribs1875
13-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Thompson?

:agree:

tho we did have a willie jamison at one time iirc

HappyAsHellas
13-01-2018, 05:20 PM
See the getting old thread re memory

HoboHarry
13-01-2018, 05:28 PM
:agree:

tho we did have a willie jamison at one time iirc
Yes we did. Scored on his debut I think...

WoreTheGreen
13-01-2018, 05:31 PM
As Latapy makes it six i jumped up and punched my brothers glasses clean off his face as were going mental he’s on his hands and knees looking for his specs.The next day i had a plumber a jambo working at my house.He came in all dead pan face the result wasn’t mentioned untill about 10 oclock when he let rip OFFS just slag me the silent smiling is torture so gave him two barrells for the rest of the day

guthrie01
13-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Fans taking shots throwing snowballs at Jamie McDonald behind the goals at Falkirk away was quite entertaining a few seasons back

speedy_gonzales
13-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Hibs v Celtic linesman hit with a pie then a boy was on and squaring up to same linesman. Boy Jumped back into the East and cops tried to lift wrong guy. Pandemonium.
That was after the offside/not offside goal for Celtic at the Famous 5 end, surprisingly the officials got it right that day (Hibs player passed the ball back meaning the Celtic player was onside) but regardless, the accuracy of the pie shot was amazing. I'm fairly sure the culprit was behind me and I was row M seat 33ish, the pie hit the lino square in the back of the napper,,,,the lino didn't even turn around and to his credit I don't think it was even in the match report (could be wrong though).

eaststandJJ
13-01-2018, 06:23 PM
At a Hibs v Hearts game at Easter Road, someone from the east stand threw a rugby ball into the pitch when Hearts were awarded a throw in. Romanov had been in the press saying Hearts were so well supported that the club could sell out Murrayfield every home match.

stuart-farquhar
13-01-2018, 06:39 PM

I remember that. Did the boy not nash off with the ball and out the ground?

thebakerboy
13-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Remember way back on the old high terracing on New Years Day and this old guy totally pie eyed with a bottle of whiskey in his hip pocket takes an a£$e over T%t fall down the steps and after several somersaults he gets up and bottle is still intact , my faither and I and loads of guys round us just about peed ourselves laughing.

kaimendhibs
13-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Several sevco players sitting on the turf after SDG scored on 21.05.16

Joe6-2
13-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Funniest moment? Hibs v Hearts at ER. Stevie Fulton gets a yellow card and the East Stand erupts into a spontaneous chant of "Booked 'cos you're ugly" . Even Fulton grinned at that.

That’s mine too, he did take it well

mca
13-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Airdrie away back in the late 90's.. Freezing cold saturday.. !!

Can always remember a Hibby down near the front and he was shouting (something) at someone and his false teeth came flying out and landed on the pitch near a lassie steward who looked about 15..

she was in the horrors passing back the guy his false teeth.. got quite a few cheers that did..

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2018, 07:48 PM
At a Hibs v Hearts game at Easter Road, someone from the east stand threw a rugby ball into the pitch when Hearts were awarded a throw in. Romanov had been in the press saying Hearts were so well supported that the club could sell out Murrayfield every home match.

Thats 3 times thats happened now.

heretoday
13-01-2018, 07:59 PM
I always used to enjoy when a dog ran onto the pitch, especially when it went after the ball. You never see that now. Not so many strays about the streets.

It tended to happen on dark winter midweek days and was often a blessed relief from the actual game.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 08:01 PM

:greengrin

Mr White
13-01-2018, 08:03 PM
I always used to enjoy when a dog ran onto the pitch, especially when it went after the ball. You never see that now. Not so many strays about the streets.

It tended to happen on wet winter Wednesdays and was often a blessed relief from the actual game.

There was a mouse at the side of the pitch in the Leverkusen v Bayern Munich match last night. The camera focused in on it for a while. It didn't seem at all bothered by all the noise or the crowd. It is quite unusual to see wildlife at a football match these days... outwith Ibrox or Tynecastle that is.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2018, 08:08 PM
I recall seeing a televised game from England where a load of footballs(?) were launched onto the pitch from outside the ground.

I'm away on YouTube to see if there is any footage. Back soon.

trev the hat
13-01-2018, 08:26 PM
The “Only Alex Higgins Comes Back From 0-7” banner draped on one of the piggery floodlights in 1983 After his infamous comeback in the UK Championship Final.
(He won 16-15)

Northernhibee
13-01-2018, 08:38 PM

Has anyone mentioned Russel Latapy? Think he was on trial.

13-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Kujabi's free kick.

Certainly wasn't funny at the time lol!

O'Rourke3
13-01-2018, 09:00 PM
My favourite took about 20 years to manifest. Motherwell were beating Hibs in a midweek match at ER when the ref abandoned the match after about 20mins due to fog. Well keeper that night was Stuart Rennie who I worked with for a number of years who told me he was on the pitch for another 5 to 10 mins thinking they were dominating before someone in their dressing room noticed he wasn't there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

wookie70
13-01-2018, 09:05 PM
My favourite took about 20 years to manifest. Motherwell were beating Hibs in a midweek match at ER when the ref abandoned the match after about 20mins due to fog. Well keeper that night was Stuart Rennie who I worked with for a number of years who told me he was on the pitch for another 5 to 10 mins thinking they were dominating before someone in their dressing room noticed he wasn't there.

On a very good thread that's the funniest so far.

My favourite was a boy getting pies behind the goals at Brockville. Big queue and he was obviously buying for all his mates or was very hungry. As he walked back down the stairs a stray shot battered into the tray and all the pies and bovril went flying. To be fair to the boy the second after it happened he turned and walked back to the end of the pie queue. The mates and I used to have a laugh about years after.

kaimendhibs
13-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Sent from my F8331 using TapatalkI was there that night

kaimendhibs
13-01-2018, 09:31 PM
I was there that night

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkAlthough, i thought Hibs were winning. Getting old now so mibbe wrong

O'Rourke3
13-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Although, i thought Hibs were winning. Getting old now so mibbe wrong

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkWillie Pettigrew scored after about 5 mins then the fog came down. No refunds or vouchers in those days...

Fergos
13-01-2018, 10:30 PM

Outstanding, :top marks

greenlex
13-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Not really in the OP spirit but apparently there were a few titters on Sportsound this afternoon when Willie Miller was reading out the Dumbarton team. Part of the line up read “ Hutton Handling Dick”

greenlex
13-01-2018, 10:38 PM

A Tri some might say.

nonshinyfinish
13-01-2018, 10:52 PM
I remember a game, possibly vs pre-liquidation Rangers, where a guy proposed at half time. The announcer was bigging it up, they located the lucky lady in the East, and she said no. It was brilliant.

The Harp
13-01-2018, 10:59 PM
I'm just reading Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein, and this is recounted. Apparently the chairman (Harry Swan according to Macpherson) got the charges dropped and gave the season ticket on the grounds that at least the spectator knew what he was doing with the ball, unlike some of the players. The manager took that as a hint that his days were numbered, resigned, and they brought Jock Stein in to replace him.

It seems to have been one of the most effective single kicks of the ball in Hibs history!

I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.

SuperAllyMcleod
13-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Thompson?

No, Thomson [emoji4]

I remember being at Ibrox a few years back when they wheeled out one of their former players at half time to draw the raffle. I can’t remember who he was(pretty old) but they were reading out some of his achievements one of which that he’d scored 160 goals. With perfect timing, the Hibby behind me comments “160 goals? he must have been their penalty taker”.

Also, a trip to Pittodrie in about 85 saw one of our party being denied access to the ground for being too drunk. Just before the game starts we see him limping around the pitch being helped by a policeman. He then gets helped over the wall at the Beach End, turns round to see if the policeman is still looking, sees he isn’t and then runs up the stairs. Told us he had told the police he wasn’t drunk but had a limp that made him look drunk -I’m sure he got in for nowt too. Had us laughing all the way home.

heretoday
14-01-2018, 01:00 AM
There was a mouse at the side of the pitch in the Leverkusen v Bayern Munich match last night. The camera focused in on it for a while. It didn't seem at all bothered by all the noise or the crowd. It is quite unusual to see wildlife at a football match these days... outwith Ibrox or Tynecastle that is.

Apart from the flipping seagulls of course!

Arch Stanton
14-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Hibs were the first and last away team to play a competitive match on that pitch IIRC

Nope, he was marched off.

https://www.snsgroup.co.uk/dunfermline-v-hibs/print/765975.html

Phil MaGlass
14-01-2018, 01:28 PM
I was at an Aberdeen v huns game where the dons humped them 5-1 or something like that, a huns fan was huckled by 2 polis and was being dragged past the dons fans, when one of them jumped the wall,ran over and lamped the hun then ran back into the dons end.

iwasthere1972
14-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Nope, he was marched off.

https://www.snsgroup.co.uk/dunfermline-v-hibs/print/765975.html

Ouch. :greengrin

Would you really want to put that hat back on your head?

snooky
14-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Ouch. :greengrin

Would you really want to put that hat back on your head?

Is a policemen allowed to cock his hat? Just wonderin' like. :coffee:

KingFranck
14-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Sorry if already said but here goes

At a pre season friendly during the warm up, the announcer says would the owner of vehicle registration number ......... please return to it as it is blocking the car park entrance.

Off the pitch comes Barry Lavety shouts to us "That's my car!" :hyper

14-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Back in the days of Pie man at hearts threatening to move them to Murrayfield, hearts came to ER and someone from the east terracing threw a rugby ball at Craig Gordon :greengrin

iwasthere1972
14-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Back in the days of Pie man at hearts threatening to move them to Murrayfield, hearts came to ER and someone from the east terracing threw a rugby ball at Craig Gordon :greengrin

That must be four times that happened. :greengrin

14-01-2018, 09:56 PM
That must be four times that happened. :greengrin

lol, just read the rest of the thread. Too slow!

Hermit Crab
15-01-2018, 03:38 AM
Stevenson hitting the seagull with the ball at Dunfermline was quite funny.

Stokesy's on fire
15-01-2018, 03:46 AM

That was booth but it was funny

SirDavidsNapper
15-01-2018, 06:01 AM

Did you know Hibs have signed Maclaren?

norhfc
15-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Must have been early 80s, went for a pie, took a bite out right away and complained to the old dear it was cold.
Her reply.....well it’s either hot pies or that scoreboard son :) priceless.

Steve-O
15-01-2018, 09:40 AM
I think for me it was when Hearts were really looking like they were moving to Murrayfield permanently - during a derby, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick in front of the East when someone launched a rugby ball which hit the football just before Gordon took the kick. A truly excellent throw from that fan 😂

Edit: see it’s been mentioned one million times already!!

Steve-O
15-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Ivan Sproule skinning 4 Gretna players, rounding the keeper only to put the ball clear over the crossbar

Even the home fans cheered that

That was v Arbroath at 6-0 up. I remember it as I had a fiver on 7-0!

It was still funny I must admit. How he missed I’ll never know!

SaulGoodman
15-01-2018, 11:11 AM
The best one has to be one of the derbys when the story broke about Hearts possibly having to move to Murrayfield, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick and someone threw a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was perfect. What a hoot.

snooky
15-01-2018, 11:22 AM

One under par?

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 11:24 AM

First game I'm sure we lost, I was there. Jean Pierre Papin randomly opened the new pitch with ribbons etc.

happiehibbie
15-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Has to be Steve Fulton of Hearts getting booked for being Ugly

Hibs fans give him pelters for being ugly Fulton then smiles and uses his hand in gesture to say "me UGLY" Lino flags to ref, Ref book him the Hibs fan boo the ref ! within 60 seconds fans chant booked for being ugly ! Fulton shakes his head and walks on
Brilliant !

iwasthere1972
15-01-2018, 02:06 PM
That was v Arbroath at 6-0 up. I remember it as I had a fiver on 7-0!

It was still funny I must admit. How he missed I’ll never know!

Strange because I thought it was against Dundee United. Maybe Ivan was a serial miss a sitter player.

dangermouse
15-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Stuart Rennie, now there was a character. Always a laugh when he played with us on a Wednesday evening :greengrin

Fanforlife
15-01-2018, 09:26 PM
I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.Positive it was under Harrower.Think we were down 0 2 at time of incident.Done the relegation escape at end of that season.Another similar incident was during Hertz almost double season. My mate chored the ba during the 0 0 game at easter road ,stuck it up the back of my coat😂and we jyst sauntered out with it at end of the game.Was the only point we took from them that season and if we had not they would have won the title.Mates dead now but his mrs still has the ba ,has prominent place in his old Hibs Room in the Pleasance.

PatHead
15-01-2018, 09:30 PM
The 3-0 game against the old club in the Scottish cup At half time the bookies were offering 100-1 on Hibs winning 3-0. Late in the game Killen was clean through with goalie to beat. Guy behind me is screaming miss you ****. Had a fiver on correct score. The weirdest thing ever though was the Zaire guy at the free kick.

DickieDastardly
16-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Rangers on Boxing Day at Easter Road, mid 80’s, they have a fan dressed as Santa arrested in the Dunbar end and frogmarched up the side of the pitch whilst sticking the fingers up at the Hibs fans - Merry Xmas....

worcesterhibby
16-01-2018, 11:25 PM
I remember last match of the season at ER back in the sauzee/latapy era and the players are doing a lap and clapping the fans at the end. Two young lads about 10 or 12 are leaning over the fence and getting autographs. most of the players move on and Dirk Lehmann is running past, the two lads start shouting "Dirk, Dirk, Dirk, Dirk come here Dirk, Dirk Come here !" eventually he jogs over to sign the book but one of the lads says." No you Dirk, Can you go and get me Franck Sauzee's autograph" The look on Dirk's face was a picture, but good as gold he ran 40 yards to Franck, got his autograph and ran back with the book !

McrHibee
17-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Superb response to this thread... I've been in stitches at times with some of these tales - you don't get this kind of stuff on Soccer Saturday/Soccer Am, and what have yer... Proper football stories.
Please keep them coming :flag:

HoboHarry
17-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Willie Johnston in a pre season friendly against Elgin City. He told the linesman he was coming on who duly signaled for the substitution. Linesman turns around and Johnston is back sitting on the bench laughing and the linesman looking like an eejit. A still laughing Johnston then apologised to the linesman and promised that just for him he would nutmeg the first player he came up against and he did exactly that.......

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2018, 02:12 AM
The best one has to be one of the derbys when the story broke about Hearts possibly having to move to Murrayfield, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick and someone threw a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was perfect. What a hoot.
Agree with this, was hilarious! For me it’s probably the time that we were playing Hearts at Easter Road round about the time they were rumoured to be moving to Murrayfield.

Craig Gordon went over towards the East to take a free kick and someone chucked a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was spot on and we all laughed and embraced. Even Fulton found it funny himself!

The_Horde
17-01-2018, 02:25 AM
Agree with this, was hilarious! For me it’s probably the time that we were playing Hearts at Easter Road round about the time they were rumoured to be moving to Murrayfield.

Craig Gordon went over towards the East to take a free kick and someone chucked a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was spot on and we all laughed and embraced. Even Fulton found it funny himself!

Gordon was laughing too. Think he even threw it back oval ball style. And Pressley got booked for being ugly.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2018, 02:35 AM
Gordon was laughing too. Think he even threw it back oval ball style. And Pressley got booked for being ugly.
Even Kujabi was laughing!

scm70nyd1973
17-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Seem to recall a LC game in the mid to late 80s v Arbroath mibbies - bye kick - goalie took it and smacked off the back of one of their defenders and went in the net - anyone recall or am I going completely mad ?

scm70nyd1973
17-01-2018, 10:02 AM

I wasn’t there (odd coz I didn’t miss many games back then - home or away) but my Soapdodging mate tells me that Alan Sneddon’s first game for us was at Parkheid - when the teams ran out he went with the Celtic players by mistake - might be bollocks but he doesn’t bs me - still , I hope it was true - I loved big Snedds - great servant to our great club

Peevemor
17-01-2018, 10:05 AM
I wasn’t there (odd coz I didn’t miss many games back then - home or away) but my Soapdodging mate tells me that Alan Sneddon’s first game for us was at Parkheid - when the teams ran out he went with the Celtic players by mistake - might be bollocks but he doesn’t bs me - still , I hope it was true - I loved big Snedds - great servant to our great club

His debut for us was against Raith Rovers at Starks Park - we were in the old 1st division at the time. He didn't play against Celtic until the following season.

scm70nyd1973
17-01-2018, 10:10 AM
His debut for us was against Raith Rovers at Starks Park.

Might’ve been his 1st game for us at PH but I can’t believe I would have missed it - might’ve missed the KO right enough as my mate Jake the Hibby /Fiery Jack was always holding us back for vars reasons - not just the beer consumption !

scm70nyd1973
17-01-2018, 10:18 AM

The Bobby Thomson incident was on the day of my 21st birthday - I have still got the photos from it (must post them sometime) some show the linesman upright too - 4-1 and I think it was 4-1 when BT attacked him - still recall him running from the centre of the pitch at full pelt - funny at the time but must’ve been scary for the official. The scoreboard was actually working that day and I have got photos of my HB wishes paid for by my mate and the final score showing The Poppy Thieves losing - 19/11/1983 !

where'stheslope
17-01-2018, 12:24 PM
This one from going to watch Meadowbank Thistle, they were playing Clyde.

I remember watching the game and noticing a wee boy dressed in a Parka with a woolly hat on under the hood.

As the game went on and Clyde were more and more on top, the Clyde fans were shouting "The Bully Wee" again and again.

Into the second half and he was getting more and more restless, until the Clyde fans started chanting again, "The Bully Wee", quick as a flash the wee boy jump up shouting "I bet you don't even know who Napoleon was"?????

The faces of the fans around him was a treat to see!!!!!!

Peevemor
17-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Against Aberdeen at ER. Chic Charnley was sitting getting his ankle treated by the physio, the ref bent over to speak to Charnley who promptly gave him a big theatrical kiss on the cheek.

One Day Soon
17-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Not read the whole thread but:

The time the guy was demonstrating driving Sinclair C5(remember those?) round the edge of the pitch and got all the way back to just short of the tunnel when he was pied in the face with superb accuracy from the front of the main stand.

At home to Aberdeen with snow on the ground in the 80s and someone managed to smack Stuart McKimmie on the back of the head with a snowball from way up the uncovered terrace. TBF to McKimmie he turned and acknowledged the accuracy of the throw with a grin and thumbs up.

stu in nottingham
17-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Was standing quite near this when it kicked off, pishing myself!

Two Forest fans fighting over the last half-time pie!

'Leave it, he's not worth it'

'Don't bully meh!'

Loved the Max and Paddy style 'Whoa, whoa, whoa'!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvk3fwmrZIs