PDA

View Full Version : Stokes, Swanson & Boyle

Pages : 1 [2]

jacomo
15-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Disappointment has already been expressed by a number of posters in Swanson's part in this and all have given the same reasons as to why.

To an extent Boyle has been given an easier ride for two reasons. 1) He has been a regular on the pitch this season and when he plays his attitude and commitment are first class. 2) His previous transgression, though one which would attract disapproval from any employer, happened in his own time not the clubs, it didn't disrupt the day to day workings of the team and didn't contradict a direct instruction from the manager.

The fact of the matter when it comes to Stokes is that setting aside his legendary status at this club, which will remain in place forever, no matter what he does in this latest spell here, he has underperformed on the park in a majority of his games. His contribution and goals return in games where players like him should be the difference is to be kind average .... I don't want lectures about his 'total' either .... for Hibs to ramp up goals against the opponents we had in our League cup group or from the penalty spot shouldn't require a player of Stokes undoubted talent, that's not why we bust a gut to bring him here.

Do you think fans of Man Utd or the club for that matter would think Romelu Lukaku was £75,000,000 well spent if his goals return in the league was 3 from open play and 3 penalties after 22 matches, do you think they would be impressed by an actual total of 11 goals if 4 had come in the League cup and 3 from the penalty spot .... I don't think so. For a club of our size and resources what we pay Stokes and what we are entitled to expect from him in return makes him our equivalent of Lukaku.

Stokes is at this club because a player like him playing to his potential should be the difference in games against Celtic, The Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, not the difference against Partick Thistle, Ross County or Livingston. Apart from a decent performance against Celtic at Hampden before going off injured he has failed to make a dent in any of our 8 big league games this season and in fact his impetuousness at Ibrox could well have seen him sent off. He should be looking at his contribution seriously when he sees an untested kid with two goals against Celtic, one against Hearts ( even if the ref missed it ) and one against Kilmarnock from less than a quarter of the game time he has had.

The bottom line is this ..... I do not and never have had an agenda against Anthony Stokes, though I'm happy to admit I wasn't jumping around my living room when he signed because I was worried that the 'personal issues' which had kept him out of a Blackburn team that desperately needed goals would follow him to Easter Road. Not to mention the fact that most of his performances for us prior to the cup final hadn't exactly been inspirational. But I was more than willing to give him a chance, especially considering what he did for us in that final ... I love a hero as much as the next fitba fan.

So far my assessment of him is that though you could hardly call him a disaster he has failed to deliver what was hoped for from him. If Anthony Stokes wants to play the part of the 'flawed genius' that's fine by me .... but he should take a look at the history of football, folk are willing to tolerate the flaws only for so long as the genius part keeps pace with them and its clear from this thread and others that this latest episode, even if it was minor, has folk beginning to think that its time we read less about the flaws and saw a bit more of the genius, including folk who previously were quick to jump to his defence.

:agree:

I am reminded of Stokes’ previous transgression before Xmas, and Lenny’s prediction that we would see a super motivated player after the issue was dealt with.

It’s not turned out that way so far.

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Personally can’t understand why any of them are drinking this week.

Does Andy Murray go away for a training camp and think ‘great, time to get the beers in?’ They are supposed to be professional sportsmen ffs.

The manager leads by example. He's away then not sure what people expect.

Crazyhorse
15-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Without wishing to generalise, you have to imagine that that's a big factor in such behaviour. Contrast the behaviour of so many players who end up hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons with, say, top tennis players. When have you ever read about Andy Murray or Roger Federer arriving for training the worse for wear? Perhaps it's down to being an individual sport, but these guys are clearly focused on being the best they can be in their chosen career, including looking after their health, and the way Federer in particular has been able to prolong his career at the very top is an example to any sportsman or woman.

If not solely down to a low IQ, why do so few footballers seem dedicated to making the very most of a short career?

You will never have heard of any tennis player in the modern era who was fond of showing up worse for wear at training etc. He wouldn't have made it to the top.

HoboHarry
15-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Better stop him going on scouting missions and watching opposition teams play then since he would be gone from training then too. Or is that a different sort of being away?

WeeRussell
15-01-2018, 01:15 PM
You will never have heard of any tennis player in the modern era who was fond of showing up worse for wear at training etc. He wouldn't have made it to the top.

Dan Evans, Nick Kyrgios?

Allant1981
15-01-2018, 01:16 PM

was the manager away getting steaming drunk? he would expect them to act professional

JimBHibees
15-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Personally can’t understand why any of them are drinking this week.

Does Andy Murray go away for a training camp and think ‘great, time to get the beers in?’ They are supposed to be professional sportsmen ffs.

Totally hear what you are saying however the team dynamic is important and a little bit of down time for team relaxation and bonding should be a positive just a shame a few thought it an opportunity to take a liberty.

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Better stop him going on scouting missions and watching opposition teams play then since he would be gone from training then too. Or is that a different sort of being away?

If your away in a training camp and the temptation is to stay out a wee bit longer then if your manager is going to a night out in Scotland the day later you're going to be tempted. When I had a gripe about Lennon having his priorities wrong that was even before this.

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 01:27 PM
was the manager away getting steaming drunk? he would expect them to act professional

I don't know I wasn't at the Celtic tribute evening with legends such as Chris Sutton and the Hibernian manager whilst his squad is in Spain.

HoboHarry
15-01-2018, 01:31 PM
I don't know I wasn't at the Celtic tribute evening with legends such as Chris Sutton and the Hibernian manager whilst his squad is in Spain.
They were quite right to be drunk then. Passing the time away in Spain when they were supposed to be in Portugal.........

Ozyhibby
15-01-2018, 01:33 PM

That’s true of the top players but there are also plenty of players on the tour who enjoy the nightlife as well. And players at Hibs have more in common with those guys than Federer and Nadal. Those guys are like Ronaldo and Messi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestarter
15-01-2018, 02:15 PM
They were quite right to be drunk then. Passing the time away in Spain when they were supposed to be in Portugal.........

:greengrin

SChibs
15-01-2018, 02:18 PM
I don't think Swanson is the sharpest tbh. The whole "didn't try for Hearts" thing dispite him claiming to be a jambo when he signed for them was a bit cringy and worried me a bit when we signed him. There was also the incident last season when he was fighting on the park. Stokes needs to step up too. He can't rest on his cup final performance. For me Swanson and Stokes need to shape up or ship out.

When Swanson was at hearts he came into my old work for some rehabilitation work for an injury he had at the time. He didn't seem interested in the exercises though just mucked about

Allant1981
15-01-2018, 02:21 PM

doesnt matter where he was, he would have quite rightly expected his players to act professionally

Tornadoes70
15-01-2018, 02:24 PM
We won't be worrying about such trivia after making it ten in a row come next Sunday.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Gettin' Auld
15-01-2018, 03:55 PM
According to this, Stokes also done today for driving a Mitsubishi SHOTGUN without a UK licence and failing to turn up in court. Shotgun is a belter of a typo. Ha Ha. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/anthony-stokes-fails-turn-up-11855102

IlDiavola
15-01-2018, 03:58 PM
doesnt matter where he was, he would have quite rightly expected his players to act professionally

Exactly.

They didn't and, as usual, our 100% effort striker was right in the thick of it.

Neil should be wiping the floor with all three but probably won't.

IlDiavola
15-01-2018, 03:59 PM
According to this, Stokes also done today for driving a Mitsubishi SHOTGUN without a UK licence and failing to turn up in court. Shotgun is a belter of a typo. Ha Ha. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/anthony-stokes-fails-turn-up-11855102

He's really a bad egg.

SRHibs
15-01-2018, 04:03 PM
He's really a bad egg.

Aye, love him for the cup final but he’s a bit of a radge.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2018, 04:11 PM
He's really a bad egg.

“on January 28, 2016” he propbably also lied when he was 17...

IlDiavola
15-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Aye, love him for the cup final but he’s a bit of a radge.

Bang on mate.

Cup Final performance was outstanding.

However, that was 20 months ago and he's hardly shaken a leg since then. He needs a boot up the erky (preferably) or booted out of Easter Road (sadly, because there is a first class player hiding in his body).

No doubt though he'll get a starting place in the derby. :rolleyes:

wookie70
15-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Good point. But Stokes has previous (which now apparently is proof that all the other rumours going around are true as well) so let's empty him and forget about Boyle (a fan favourite who works hard). Or we could let those that know the full details of the incident and the parts of those involved do what they're paid to do and handle it, move on and get prepared to beat Hearts on Sunday.. with our best players involved.

Stokes remains one of the best players we have in the squad... or have had in the squad in a few year for that matter. The desire to jump on his back at any given opportunity (and now want rid of him!!) by some is baffling!!

All opinions though.

All three had previous before we signed them and Boyle's was with us. For all it was very amusing seeing Stokes and Boyler pop up in pubs for days after that glorious day I suspect most of us had went back to work and whilst celebrating in our minds we weren't knocking pints back every day. That worried me at the time and was one of the reasons I didn't really want Stokes to return.

Lennon will succeed or fail on the back of his signings and I dare say it's easy to see why he would sign the three players involved. They are all good players, Stokes is excellent at times and let's face it Lennon isn't exactly renowned as being whiter than white. I don't mind a bit of character in players and by the sounds of this it is more a ticking off than a serious disciplinary matter. Nothing has got out of hand under Lennon and it could be that the high profile of Lennon and Stokes has more to do with the story than the incident itself.

However, we have already had Ambrose swanning back when he fancied and the previous incident with Stokes and to be honest I think it may be time for Lennon to put a marker down, if he hasn't already. I'd rather he did it behind closed doors though as the previous incident with Stokes saw him coming out and saying we would get a reaction. We did he played more poorly than the previous games. If players are repeat offenders then use the proper disciplinary processes at the club and get rid of them on breach of contract if needs be. In the mean time offer "no comment" if journos come knocking, the players deserve to keep these breaches private and between their employer and themselves.

WeeRussell
15-01-2018, 05:15 PM
This thread could just about be moved to ‘other sports’ with the amount of tennis chat in it ;)

IlDiavola
15-01-2018, 05:18 PM
This thread could just about be moved to ‘other sports’ with the amount of tennis chat in it ;)

Quite right 'love'.

:wink:

Tornadoes70
15-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Bang on mate.

Cup Final performance was outstanding.

However, that was 20 months ago and he's hardly shaken a leg since then. He needs a boot up the erky (preferably) or booted out of Easter Road (sadly, because there is a first class player hiding in his body).

No doubt though he'll get a starting place in the derby. :rolleyes:

If he does then hopefully we see the class stokesy that can easily rip the yams a new one on best form.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

YanYansen
15-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Disappointment has already been expressed by a number of posters in Swanson's part in this and all have given the same reasons as to why.

To an extent Boyle has been given an easier ride for two reasons. 1) He has been a regular on the pitch this season and when he plays his attitude and commitment are first class. 2) His previous transgression, though one which would attract disapproval from any employer, happened in his own time not the clubs, it didn't disrupt the day to day workings of the team and didn't contradict a direct instruction from the manager.

The fact of the matter when it comes to Stokes is that setting aside his legendary status at this club, which will remain in place forever, no matter what he does in this latest spell here, he has underperformed on the park in a majority of his games. His contribution and goals return in games where players like him should be the difference is to be kind average .... I don't want lectures about his 'total' either .... for Hibs to ramp up goals against the opponents we had in our League cup group or from the penalty spot shouldn't require a player of Stokes undoubted talent, that's not why we bust a gut to bring him here.

Do you think fans of Man Utd or the club for that matter would think Romelu Lukaku was £75,000,000 well spent if his goals return in the league was 3 from open play and 3 penalties after 22 matches, do you think they would be impressed by an actual total of 11 goals if 4 had come in the League cup and 3 from the penalty spot .... I don't think so. For a club of our size and resources what we pay Stokes and what we are entitled to expect from him in return makes him our equivalent of Lukaku.

Stokes is at this club because a player like him playing to his potential should be the difference in games against Celtic, The Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, not the difference against Partick Thistle, Ross County or Livingston. Apart from a decent performance against Celtic at Hampden before going off injured he has failed to make a dent in any of our 8 big league games this season and in fact his impetuousness at Ibrox could well have seen him sent off. He should be looking at his contribution seriously when he sees an untested kid with two goals against Celtic, one against Hearts ( even if the ref missed it ) and one against Kilmarnock from less than a quarter of the game time he has had.

The bottom line is this ..... I do not and never have had an agenda against Anthony Stokes, though I'm happy to admit I wasn't jumping around my living room when he signed because I was worried that the 'personal issues' which had kept him out of a Blackburn team that desperately needed goals would follow him to Easter Road. Not to mention the fact that most of his performances for us prior to the cup final hadn't exactly been inspirational. But I was more than willing to give him a chance, especially considering what he did for us in that final ... I love a hero as much as the next fitba fan.

So far my assessment of him is that though you could hardly call him a disaster he has failed to deliver what was hoped for from him. If Anthony Stokes wants to play the part of the 'flawed genius' that's fine by me .... but he should take a look at the history of football, folk are willing to tolerate the flaws only for so long as the genius part keeps pace with them and its clear from this thread and others that this latest episode, even if it was minor, has folk beginning to think that its time we read less about the flaws and saw a bit more of the genius, including folk who previously were quick to jump to his defence.

Excellent post, and spot on.

Hibs90
15-01-2018, 05:23 PM
More concerned about who is leaking things tbh.

gaz1875
15-01-2018, 05:51 PM

Couldn't agree more with all of this. I don't think we should have signed him again. I also think NL continued decision to play him has ruined the team. Yes I know he has the odd good spell but that is not enough for someone so highly rated.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Would John McEnroe have played for Hibs or Hearts...?

hibbydog
15-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Well balanced post.

BoomtownHibees
15-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Would John McEnroe have played for Hibs or Hearts...?

You cannot be serious

Brooster
15-01-2018, 06:29 PM
A complete disregard for the club and fans. ....the folk who pay their wages. All 3 have contributed next to zero recently and should perhaps be focusing on making the most of a training camp in the sun rather than getting drunk. I suspect thats Swansons card marked now, Stokes needs to step up or step out and Ive always said Boyle would be a good player if he had a brain. Buck up guys or move on because Im not spending my hard earned cash following you if you cannot act accordingly.

WeeRussell
15-01-2018, 06:32 PM
You cannot be serious

Easy victory for Johhny Mac the hibby.

Comprehensive 7-0 in first set tie breaker, 6-2 second set win, and then opponent retired after being 2-0 up in their final chance and blowing their chance to end the dominance.

They’re now finished as a tennis player and have nothing to sing about, after Macenroe went on to win the tournament.

Lago
15-01-2018, 06:34 PM
A complete disregard for the club and fans. ....the folk who pay their wages. All 3 have contributed next to zero recently and should perhaps be focusing on making the most of a training camp in the sun rather than getting drunk. I suspect thats Swansons card marked now, Stokes needs to step up or step out and Ive always said Boyle would be a good player if he had a brain. Buck up guys or move on because Im not spending my hard earned cash following you if you cannot act accordingly.

This

JimboHibs
15-01-2018, 06:39 PM
All three had previous before we signed them and Boyle's was with us. For all it was very amusing seeing Stokes and Boyler pop up in pubs for days after that glorious day I suspect most of us had went back to work and whilst celebrating in our minds we weren't knocking pints back every day. That worried me at the time and was one of the reasons I didn't really want Stokes to return.

Lennon will succeed or fail on the back of his signings and I dare say it's easy to see why he would sign the three players involved. They are all good players, Stokes is excellent at times and let's face it Lennon isn't exactly renowned as being whiter than white. I don't mind a bit of character in players and by the sounds of this it is more a ticking off than a serious disciplinary matter. Nothing has got out of hand under Lennon and it could be that the high profile of Lennon and Stokes has more to do with the story than the incident itself.

However, we have already had Ambrose swanning back when he fancied and the previous incident with Stokes and to be honest I think it may be time for Lennon to put a marker down, if he hasn't already. I'd rather he did it behind closed doors though as the previous incident with Stokes saw him coming out and saying we would get a reaction. We did he played more poorly than the previous games. If players are repeat offenders then use the proper disciplinary processes at the club and get rid of them on breach of contract if needs be. In the mean time offer "no comment" if journos come knocking, the players deserve to keep these breaches private and between their employer and themselves.

You really worry too much Wookie .... get a grip FFS u sound like a proper drama queen the quote 'that worried me at the time.... seriously if it worried you enough at the time why didn't you voice your concerns on here at the time ?

Golden Bear
15-01-2018, 06:42 PM

And so say all of us and the chorus will grow unless they come up with the goods on Sunday.

canuckhibee
15-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Disappointing, when considering how the club have stood by Swanson and Boyle for reasons well documented. Their week in Dubai the previous week was surely their downtime to have a few beers. Swanson needs to get a grip soon.

jacomo
15-01-2018, 06:45 PM
You really worry too much Wookie .... get a grip FFS u sound like a proper drama queen the quote 'that worried me at the time.... seriously if it worried you enough at the time why didn't you voice your concerns on here at the time ?

Nope it’s fair comment.

Again, these guys are professional sportsmen.

Let’s not compare them with elite tennis players. How about comparing them with swimmers or rowers or other athletes who earn a pittance from their sport but are smart enough to realise that success requires a few sacrifices.

JimboHibs
15-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Nope it’s fair comment.

Again, these guys are professional sportsmen.

Let’s not compare them with elite tennis players. How about comparing them with swimmers or rowers or other athletes who earn a pittance from their sport but are smart enough to realise that success requires a few sacrifices.

What that he had their cards marked because they were celebrating the greatest win in our history ... behave

jacomo
15-01-2018, 07:04 PM
What that he had their cards marked because they were celebrating the greatest win in our history ... behave

Aye fine have it your way.

OsloHibs
15-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Paul Hanlon what a man. Never disrepected our club ever. I hate all this modern football mentality. Don't get it at all.

wookie70
15-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Not sure that is warranted. They are professional sportsmen who were out on the lash for days, if that isn't a signpost then I don't know what is. I'd be amazed if I didn't post that I wasn't convinced we should sign Stokes and I wasn't the only one that thought that way.

Borderhibbie76
15-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Paul Hanlon what a man. Never disrepected our club ever. I hate all this modern football mentality. Don't get it at all.Not has Lewy in his 10 years at the club...the likes of him and Hanlon are a shining example to the rest onnhow professional footballers should be behaving themselves

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tornadoes70
15-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Och the players were let off the leash for a short time with a small band of the players getting a wee taste of the bevvy and having a couple too many, move on. They've had their punishment from the Gaffer and that's the end of it.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday and this trivia will seem like absolute nothingness.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

ancient hibee
15-01-2018, 07:51 PM
Evidently it was the next day that was a day off.So at least they weren’t out on the lash with training next day.Still very unprofessional and childish.

Stuart93
15-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Och the players were let off the leash for a short time with a small band of the players getting a wee taste of the bevvy and having a couple too many, move on. They've had their punishment from the Gaffer and that's the end of it.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday and this trivia will seem like absolute nothingness.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Easy enough to say that though...wonder how the rest of the squad will feel about it.

OsloHibs
15-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Mon the Cabbage!!!

All 3 of them have had well documented issues off the pitch and the club have stood by them & gave support. It's very, very disappointing.

Tornadoes70
15-01-2018, 08:01 PM
All 3 of them have had well documented issues off the pitch and the club have stood by them & gave support. It's very, very disappointing.

The only thing that will be very very disappointing for me is if we don't produce against the yams.

The boys have done a wee bit wrong and paid for it with a punishment from the Gaffer and time to move on from these nothing side issues.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday. Nothing else matters for me regarding football.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Captain Trips
15-01-2018, 11:52 PM
3 - 1 to Hibs goals from Stokes, Swanson and Boyle.

16-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Evidently it was the next day that was a day off.So at least they weren’t out on the lash with training next day.Still very unprofessional and childish.

The Daily Record article said they didn't leave the hotel. So it's not like they were "out out".

They do though owe us a big performance on Sunday to avoid the finger of blame pointing in their direction.

Betty Boop
16-01-2018, 06:31 AM
I do not normally post on forms such as this ,but sometimes its very hard to keep quite when you see some of the things that are posted by so called fans. The original poster and other's get an obvious delight and satisfaction posting any little bit of information that may or may not be true. I still say that what was reported here and in some newspapers was untrue and a gross exaggeration of the facts.

1. This very small incident happened last Tuesday night as the players were resting on Wednesday
2. They never left the Hotel
3. They have a few beers in the hotel bar in the company of the coaching staff
4. They did not stay late in the bar, they moved to the lobby where they played pool

There was also more then three players involved
Not one player was drunk or caused any type of scene
Now a question for anyone who cares to answer
What time did they go to bed? bearing in mind they were resting all the next Day?

As I said its absolute nonsense, All is achieves is put the players in a difficult situation not to mention there relationship with the fans, Who have every right to expect professionalism at all time from the players , but a few beers and a couple of games of pool in the hotel?? its just laughable

Well done to the posters who exposed this massive scandal that could have shaken the club to its core. and thank you as ( supporters ?) for providing for the world and his wife with so much miss information.

And you know all the details how ?

NthCarolinaHibs
16-01-2018, 06:32 AM
I do not normally post on forms such as this ,but sometimes its very hard to keep quite when you see some of the things that are posted by so called fans. The original poster and other's get an obvious delight and satisfaction posting any little bit of information that may or may not be true. I still say that what was reported here and in some newspapers was untrue and a gross exaggeration of the facts.

1. This very small incident happened last Tuesday night as the players were resting on Wednesday
4. They did not stay late in the bar, they moved to the lobby where they played pool

What time did they go to bed? bearing in mind they were resting all the next Day?

As I said its absolute nonsense, All is achieves is put the players in a difficult situation not to mention there relationship with the fans, Who have every right to expect professionalism at all time from the players , but a few beers and a couple of games of pool in the hotel?? its just laughable

Well done to the posters who exposed this massive scandal that could have shaken the club to its core. and thank you as ( supporters ?) for providing for the world and his wife with so much miss information.You work at the hotel they were staying,then?

BoomtownHibees
16-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Well done to the posters who exposed this massive scandal that could have shaken the club to its core. and thank you as ( supporters ?) for providing for the world and his wife with so much miss information.

Surely it depends on what they were told by the coaching staff? If they were told to be back in their room by 10 but didn’t go until 11 then that’s still breaking the rules, however insignificant it may sound.

If there were more players involved why is it just the 3 that have been named?

ian cruise
16-01-2018, 06:37 AM
And you know all the details how ?

We've already had one poster with inside info being called out and proven to be right, it's very possible this poster has contacts with the club or with the players. Let's not all go jumping on his back now.

Incident was described by the club as a small breach of discipline (or similar) so the above doesn't seem unfeasible.

Betty Boop
16-01-2018, 07:38 AM
We've already had one poster with inside info being called out and proven to be right, it's very possible this poster has contacts with the club or with the players. Let's not all go jumping on his back now.

Incident was described by the club as a small breach of discipline (or similar) so the above doesn't seem unfeasible.

Rules are rules they're three grown men no wee school laddies.

LancsHibs
16-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Rules are rules they're three grown men no wee school laddies.

An example had to be set in front of the new boy!

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2018, 10:39 AM

In most cases you would be right if you take the incident in isolation .... but as I said in one of my other posts, its not the incident itself but the identity of the players involved and the timing. Of the three only Boyle can claim to have lived up to his potential this season, the other two have not, in Swanson's case not through indiscipline but through injury and a situation where the club have by all accounts been very supportive of him, in view of which at the forefront of his mind should have been a desire to repay that support, not disrespect his manager and the club.
Stokes is a serial offender who Lennon showed faith in by bringing him back to the club. So far he has had that faith repaid by a string of mediocre performances, a lacklustre attitude to training if stories of him being continually late are accurate and an incident deemed so severe Lennon felt compelled to drop from the squad entirely a player he had described as "undroppable"

Folk keep saying, never mind just so long as they bring it against the Yams this weekend.

So far Stokes hasn't 'brought it' against any of the clubs in the top 4 of our rivals in 8 attempts and Swanson has barely kicked a ball in anger this season. If either one of them manages a goal or a match influencing performance at the PBS on Sunday I'll be happily surprised if their efforts up to this point are anything to go by.

We have a chance this Sunday to make a huge dent in the history of the Edinburgh derby ... Doing that lot twice in a row in the cup after being drawn away both times is already notable, doing it three times in a row would be absolutely epic and something we can ram down their throats for years.

We don't need distractions off the field getting in the way of that, in view of which the reaction of fans to this is far from OTT or laughable.

Firestarter
16-01-2018, 11:17 AM
In most cases you would be right if you take the incident in isolation .... but as I said in one of my other posts, its not the incident itself but the identity of the players involved and the timing. Of the three only Boyle can claim to have lived up to his potential this season, the other two have not, in Swanson's case not through indiscipline but through injury and a situation where the club have by all accounts been very supportive of him, in view of which at the forefront of his mind should have been a desire to repay that support, not disrespect his manager and the club.
Stokes is a serial offender who Lennon showed faith in by bringing him back to the club. So far he has had that faith repaid by a string of mediocre performances, a lacklustre attitude to training if stories of him being continually late are accurate and an incident deemed so severe Lennon felt compelled to drop from the squad entirely a player he had described as "undroppable"

Folk keep saying, never mind just so long as they bring it against the Yams this weekend.

So far Stokes hasn't 'brought it' against any of the clubs in the top 4 of our rivals in 8 attempts and Swanson has barely kicked a ball in anger this season. If either one of them manages a goal or a match influencing performance at the PBS on Sunday I'll be happily surprised if their efforts up to this point are anything to go by.

We have a chance this Sunday to make a huge dent in the history of the Edinburgh derby ... Doing that lot twice in a row in the cup after being drawn away both times is already notable, doing it three times in a row would be absolutely epic and something we can ram down their throats for years.

We don't need distractions off the field getting in the way of that, in view of which the reaction of fans to this is far from OTT or laughable.

:agree::top marks

Beefster
16-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Boyle's 'previous transgression' was, by far, the most serious of them all. Stokes and Swanson weren't at risk of killing themselves or anyone else by having a pint or being late for training.

G B Young
16-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Dan Evans, Nick Kyrgios?

Good examples of players who COULD have done more with a better attitude. As a young player, Evans had all the ability required to make a serious tilt at a top ranking. Not on a par with Andy Murray, but by the standards of most British tennis players he could have been a significant presence. He never took it seriously enough until it was too late to make the most of his talent and he's now effectively scuppered his career with a drugs ban. Kyrgios may yet make his mark in the game, but his on court attitude is too often awful.

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Boyle's 'previous transgression' was, by far, the most serious of them all. Stokes and Swanson weren't at risk of killing themselves or anyone else by having a pint or being late for training.

I'm not denying that for a second Beefster. But in the context of team stability and the manager being respected by the players, not to mention Boyle's ability to do his job on the pitch, it was a different thing.

I'm not totally absolving Boyle over the Portugal incident, he was at fault as well and like all of the players needs to realise that club rules and instructions are there for a reason. But he has less to prove than Swanson or Stokes both of whom for various reasons have yet to bring the contribution to the team expected of them ... like any fan I will be far more inclined to shrug off an isolated incident if the player concerned is realising his potential on the park, Boyle is, but Swanson and Stokes so far haven't and in Stokes case this was far from an isolated incident.

BarneyHibby
16-01-2018, 03:00 PM
I absolutely love Stoksey. He is a fantastic player. i'm sure the second half of the season will be big for him. #StokseysOnFire (https://twitter.com/hashtag/StokseysOnFire?src=hash) :clapper:

silverhibee
16-01-2018, 03:14 PM
The Daily Record article said they didn't leave the hotel. So it's not like they were "out out".

They do though owe us a big performance on Sunday to avoid the finger of blame pointing in their direction.

Is it possible the Record may have got it wrong.

Beefster
16-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Its an old saying and in this case is true, the anti Stokes brigade , of which seems to be a growing number will be delighted. Hope it all works for them

I’ve never heard of that saying.

wookie70
16-01-2018, 03:32 PM
I’ve never heard of that saying.
A pint in the hand is worth breaking curfew.

HoboHarry
16-01-2018, 03:45 PM
A pint in the hand is worth breaking curfew.
A bird in the hand and something about a bush.......

eastcoasthibby
16-01-2018, 03:47 PM
There are really good reasons why the 3 if them need.to get their heads sorted and start delivering on the pitch. Boyle.has.just been handed an extended contract and this is his professional response, he needs to get a grip of himself instead of thinking he is erchie ...change.in attitude stop acting ike a wee boy be.more.responsible get the training pitch and practise your finishing.
Swanson the tragic events of a year or so ago are.terrible ....but time to move on and deliver on what.your paid to do ...fitness wise a fair bit of catch up on others.so having a few.or however many beers is.last thing needed ...needs.to get.his head together and prove.his worth to his dream to play for team. Stokes well no evidence but his self.confidence.and.attitude are his problem ...knows.he has.ability and.living.on flashes of quality these are becoming less frequent and the immature disrespectful way he acts on and off the park are.what is leading the numbers.of.fans getting fed.up with him ...have to say personally I think he adversely impacts on the overall team harmony and how.we play ..for me he is massively underperforming and along with offield needs to pick.or pack up for the.bettwr collective ...so mind performances on sunday just, doing.their jobs every week is a must , they are.due the fans and the club

Tornadoes70
16-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I absolutely love Stoksey. He is a fantastic player. i'm sure the second half of the season will be big for him. #StokseysOnFire (https://twitter.com/hashtag/StokseysOnFire?src=hash):clapper:

:top marks

At least one goal on Sunday from our Stokesy would be very a nice starting point indeed.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

IlDiavola
16-01-2018, 04:13 PM
I do not think you got the point of my last post, What you wish for..... For those fans saying Anthony unperformed this season and want him gone, as his behavior is so bad ( love to see what their lives are like, all paid up members of the Sunday Church no doubt)
Well they will not have to worry about him anymore.... ever..

What's that meant to mean?

IlDiavola
16-01-2018, 04:14 PM
I do not think you got the point of my last post, What you wish for..... For those fans saying Anthony unperformed this season and want him gone, as his behavior is so bad ( love to see what their lives are like, all paid up members of the Sunday Church no doubt)

And, what's a NEED NEED?

JimBHibees
16-01-2018, 04:16 PM

Not everyone just a few people.

Albanian Hibs
16-01-2018, 04:17 PM

What does this mean? Is he leaving us?

Mango Man
16-01-2018, 04:17 PM

So are you saying Stokes is going to leave or what? I absolutely love the guy, but he has been bother for his last few clubs now, so I would say it's pretty fair fans are concerned, especially knowing what he can do on a football pitch.

HoboHarry
16-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Are you his mum? :greengrin

BarneyHibby
16-01-2018, 04:21 PM

At least one goal on Sunday from our Stokesy would be very a nice starting point indeed.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:Stokes goal in derby win that would be a dream scenario for us. :agree: #GGTTH (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GGTTH?src=hash)

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Its an old saying and in this case is true, the anti Stokes brigade , of which seems to be a growing number will be delighted. Hope it all works for them

There isn't an 'anti Stokes brigade' mate. There's an anti players who have proved they are capable of far better failing to deliver and not appearing to care about it brigade.

Look at the stick Lewis Stevenson gets on here whenever he puts a foot wrong on the park .... a consummate professional who by his own admission doesn't have the talent of half the guys he has played alongside at Hibs. A guy who most would agree would be at best a Championship level player if it wasn't for his brilliant attitude and ability to play at a highly motivated level every time he pulls a Hibs shirt on. And by the way a player who has far more right to claim Hibs legendary status than any player at the club.

Scottish Cup winner
Scottish Cup runner up twice

League Cup winner
League cup runner up

Championship winner.

Played in more Edinburgh derbies than any Hibs player in history.

Why then should a player with more ability than practically any player at Easter Road who by his own admission has failed to reach the level of performance he is capable of this season be free from criticism when a limited player like Stevenson is not? Especially when he is not only below par on the pitch but being an aggravation to his manager and the club off it?

Nobody, but nobody, wanted or wants to see Anthony Stokes fail at this club .... there were a few folk concerned about us re signing him, myself included, given his contribution on the park in his last spell which cup final aside was at best average and a full season at his previous club where he barely kicked a ball because the manager felt he couldn't trust him.

What you are seeing here isn't an agenda mate .... Its disappointment at his performances and annoyance that for all his talk in the papers to the contrary he doesn't seem to care, or if he does he is going about proving it in a totally bizarre manner.

Firestarter
16-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Nobody wants stokes gone and to a man every single Hibee loves him. You're looking to argue when there's nothing there, Anthony :greengrin

Firestarter
16-01-2018, 04:40 PM
There isn't an 'anti Stokes brigade' mate. There's an anti players who have proved they are capable of far better failing to deliver and not appearing to care about it brigade.

Look at the stick Lewis Stevenson gets on here whenever he puts a foot wrong on the park .... a consummate professional who by his own admission doesn't have the talent of half the guys he has played alongside at Hibs. A guy who most would agree would be at best a Championship level player if it wasn't for his brilliant attitude and ability to play at a highly motivated level every time he pulls a Hibs shirt on. And by the way a player who has far more right to claim Hibs legendary status than any player at the club.

Scottish Cup winner

League Cup winner
League cup runner up

Championship winner.

Why then should a player with more ability than practically any player at Easter Road who by his own admission has failed to reach the level of performance he is capable of this season be free from criticism when a limited player like Stevenson is not? Especially when he is not only below par on the pitch but being an aggravation to his manager and the club off it?

Nobody, but nobody, wanted or wants to see Anthony Stokes fail at this club .... there were a few folk concerned about us re signing him, myself included, given his contribution on the park in his last spell which cup final aside was at best average and a full season at his previous club where he barely kicked a ball because the manager felt he couldn't trust him.

What you are seeing here isn't an agenda mate .... Its disappointment at his performances and annoyance that for all his talk in the papers to the contrary he doesn't seem to care, or if he does he is going about proving it in a totally bizarre manner.

Lewis Stevenson gets no stick. He could have an utter shocker and the min someone gives him less than 7/10 his whole supporters club come after you.

BarneyHibby
16-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Well they will not have to worry about him anymore.... ever..This scares me. Really hope he stays at Hibs for many years.

Not everyone just a few people.This.

bigwheel
16-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Lewis Stevenson gets no stick. He could have an utter shocker and the min someone gives him less than 7/10 his whole supporters club come after you.

I’ve been liking your recent posts Fire...but this is nonsense - he remains an early target when things go wrong - sometimes fair, often unwarranted...

Anyway back to Stokes - is he staying ..

IlDiavola
16-01-2018, 04:54 PM
I’ve been liking your recent posts Fire...but this is nonsense - he remains an early target when things go wrong - sometimes fair, often unwarranted...

This.

Firestarter

Cheers man and fair enough I haven't seen them. I thought every single person was won over by him over the past couple seasons eventually but there's some overly precious (with reason I understand) posters since I've joined up that don't like a thing said about him. Nondanger im wanting this thread to discuss anything Lewis apart from the ultimate living legend there is.

Firestarter
This.

👍

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Criticism of Stevenson always divides opinion ..... that's not the same as saying he doesn't get any, he gets loads.

IlDiavola
16-01-2018, 05:01 PM
👍

No bother mate.

Your posts usually seem fair and well balanced.

bigwheel
16-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Cheers man and fair enough I haven't seen them. I thought every single person was won over by him over the past couple seasons eventually but there's some overly precious (with reason I understand) posters since I've joined up that don't like a thing said about him. Nondanger im wanting this thread to discuss anything Lewis apart from the ultimate living legend there is.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji106]

ismisebigo
16-01-2018, 05:51 PM
This scares me. Really hope he stays at Hibs for many years.

This.

Well then people need to get off his back, I traveled to a recent game and was shocked to hear fans booing him and calling him nasty names, Just accept him as he is if he can get goals to help the team . then great but fans have to understand you get what you see with Anthony Stokes. Everybody knew what they were getting when he signed.

BarneyHibby
16-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Well then people need to get off his back, I traveled to a recent game and was shocked to hear fans booing him and calling him nasty names, Just accept him as he is if he can get goals to help the team . then great but fans have to understand you get what you see with Anthony Stokes. Everybody knew what they were getting when he signed.I agree with you. That's unacceptable and disgusting but this is a small minority of "fans". Real Hibs fans do not behave in this way.

silverhibee
16-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Well then people need to get off his back, I traveled to a recent game and was shocked to hear fans booing him and calling him nasty names, Just accept him as he is if he can get goals to help the team . then great but fans have to understand you get what you see with Anthony Stokes. Everybody knew what they were getting when he signed.

Is Anthony threatening to go on strike.

Firestarter
16-01-2018, 07:04 PM

That never happened.

staunchhibby
16-01-2018, 09:08 PM
About time the thread was closed.Lets just move on.

JimBHibees
17-01-2018, 03:28 PM
There’s a possibility that the problem in Portugal might have been a tad more worse than we thought...

Now, I’m not wanting all you guys doubting me again and getting offensive replies on the thread because after all I am a Hibby who is only bearing snippets of what I get told.

Update: I heard ( true or not ) Stokes has been told to find another club. Now, if this is true, that will coincide with Swanson maybe going out on loan to StJ or another club. In my opinion, we need both of them at this stage in the season but mbaybe Hibs have had enough with all the shenanigans!

My thinking on Boyle is that if he didn’t just get that extension to his contact he could have possibly been on his way out too. Now that’s just me reading between the lines there so don’t shoot me down for my thoughts.

I suppose we will find out when the squad is announced for Sunday’s game who is in or out of it. Hopefully all are included and Stokes plays a blinder scoring a hattie.

GGTTH

Saw an interview with Neil on SSN about the derby and he was coming out with it has been dealt with and boys will be boys sort of thing. Didnt seem unduly bothered about it.

Delboy4
17-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Saw an interview with Neil on SSN about the derby and he was coming out with it has been dealt with and boys will be boys sort of thing. Didnt seem unduly bothered about it.

Good, hope so JimB

FitbaFolkKen
17-01-2018, 03:35 PM
About time the thread was closed.Lets just move on.

There’s a possibility that the problem in Portugal might have been a tad more worse than we thought...

Now, I’m not wanting all you guys doubting me again and getting offensive replies on the thread because after all I am a Hibby who is only bearing snippets of what I get told.

Update: I heard ( true or not ) Stokes has been told to find another club. Now, if this is true, that will coincide with Swanson maybe going out on loan to StJ or another club. In my opinion, we need both of them at this stage in the season but mbaybe Hibs have had enough with all the shenanigans!

My thinking on Boyle is that if he didn’t just get that extension to his contact he could have possibly been on his way out too. Now that’s just me reading between the lines there so don’t shoot me down for my thoughts.

I suppose we will find out when the squad is announced for Sunday’s game who is in or out of it. Hopefully all are included and Stokes plays a blinder scoring a hattie.

GGTTH

:doh:

Fingers crossed it is all sorted or getting sorted!

SRHibs
17-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Would prefer if you kept the snippets to yourself, at least until after Sunday, and deleted this post. It does the team no go whatsoever and I don't get why a Hibby would post it.

Yeah, we shouldn’t acknowledge losses either, or anything negative.

FitbaFolkKen
17-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Would prefer if you kept the snippets to yourself, at least until after Sunday, and deleted this post. It does the team no go whatsoever and I don't get why a Hibby would post it.

You are spot on, let's just ignore anything negative about the club and hope that it goes away. :ostrich:

Delboy4
17-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Ok deleted. I can’t delete replies tho

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2018, 03:42 PM

Well it must have been an away game then, because I attend every game at ER and haven't heard an individual player 'booed' since we were relegated. Perhaps you should tell us what game it was so that folk who were there can confirm your story.

Tornadoes70
17-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Lets keep it as positive as we possibly can and retain the feel good factor. The pressure is all on the yams to stop our tremendous run of going for ten in a row.

Lets hope the referee keeps the yams in check as they will be pumped up to the max to try to stop us.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

WeeRussell
17-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Well it must have been an away game then, because I attend every game at ER and haven't heard an individual player 'booed' since we were relegated. Perhaps you should tell us what game it was so that folk who were there can confirm your story.

I assumed it was an away game when he said he travelled there. Of course that isn’t necessarily so.

We get Big home crowds though. Every chance a few people round him were behaving like morons while we were nowhere near them. Although granted you’d imagine someone else was aware if there was significant “booing”.

More generally on the topic - doesn’t bother me what gets posted on here as it’s what the forum is for (don’t get this notion that we’re going to get beat on Sunday because someone has shared more ‘info’ on an ongoing story.) but I can’t believe for a second that two of the individuals would be told to bolt while another gets away with it simply because he recently signed a new contract..(appreciate delboy just gave this as an opinion.. but would be poor management of the situation in my opinion.)

17-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Lets keep it as positive as we possibly can and retain the feel good factor. The pressure is all on the yams to stop our tremendous run of going for ten in a row.

Lets hope the referee keeps the yams in check as they will be pumped up to the max to try to stop us.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

A strong ref is required as they will (in typical Levein team fashion) set out to kick lumps out us and break up the play with niggly fouls. They hate when the likes of McGinn and McGeough get the ball down and try play football. They will gang up on these types of players.

sleeping giant
17-01-2018, 09:50 PM

And what a legend he is.
Double cup winner.

silverhibee
17-01-2018, 10:19 PM

The manger has to play it down, a poster on the PM board said there was more to it and knowing him he doesn't get much wrong, Delboy is backing it up that there was more to it than the players just having a few extra beers.

Hamish
18-01-2018, 08:09 AM
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/581334/st-johnstone-close-kilmarnocks-rory-mckenzie-tommy-wright-wants-danny-swanson-back/

Bit in local paper up here about Swanson.

Firestarter
18-01-2018, 08:14 AM
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/581334/st-johnstone-close-kilmarnocks-rory-mckenzie-tommy-wright-wants-danny-swanson-back/

Bit in local paper up here about Swanson.

That will be Danny off then. I can't think of the type of club that would Want Stokes at the moment.

Hiber-nation
18-01-2018, 08:32 AM

The only person I saw giving Stokes dogs abuse at Firrhill was Lennon.

Not In The Know
18-01-2018, 08:46 AM
That will be Danny off then. I can't think of the type of club that would Want Stokes at the moment.

I saw some rant on facebook from one of Swansons relatives about the situation. it was all very candid but he wasnt happy about something.

eastcoasthibby
18-01-2018, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;5278847]There isn't an 'anti Stokes brigade' mate. There's an anti players who have proved they are capable of far better failing to deliver and not appearing to care about it brigade.

Scottish Cup winner

League Cup winner
League cup runner up

Championship winner.

What you are seeing here isn't an agenda mate .... Its disappointment at his performances and annoyance that for all his talk in the papers to the contrary he doesn't seem to care, or if he does he is going about proving it in a totally bizarre manner.[/QUOTE

Totally agree with this post and if Stokes had half the attitude of Stevenson alongside his ability there would be very little to moan about with him.
My concerns are his impact on the team, disregard for his underperforming and a questionable attitude/committment to the club and fans to give his all.