PDA

View Full Version : Lennon leaves training camp for a Celtic function

macca70
11-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Whether this was arranged prior to our training camp or not, it would appear Lennon has got his priorities all wrong.

http://m.whatsonglasgow.co.uk/event/055000-legends-of-scottish-football-with-chris-sutton-and-neil-lennon/

To leave the training camp and i’m assuming also missing tomorrow’s friendly game to attend this, is totally wrong.

He’s missing vital preparation time with the squad ahead of the derby plus an opportunity to assess Jamie MacLaren and choosing to attend a Celtic social function.

jacomo
11-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Burn the witch!

BegbieHSC
11-01-2018, 11:14 PM
I'm certain that Lennon had other club related activities forcing him to travel back early, and is only heading to this cause he was already available.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2018, 11:17 PM
He's done plenty stuff like this in his time with us. Whilst I don't particularly agree with it, it doesn't seem to have damaged us before.

macca70
Burn the witch!

You think a Celtic social function should take priority rather than overseeing our training camp in Portugal, vital prep for the Derby and our friendly tomorrow which offers a chance to experiment and assess new players?

Mibbes Aye
Whether this was arranged prior to our training camp or not, it would appear Lennon has got his priorities all wrong.

http://m.whatsonglasgow.co.uk/event/055000-legends-of-scottish-football-with-chris-sutton-and-neil-lennon/

To leave the training camp and i’m assuming also missing tomorrow’s friendly game to attend this, is totally wrong.

He’s missing vital preparation time with the squad ahead of the derby plus an opportunity to assess Jamie MacLaren and choosing to attend a Celtic social function.

I'm maybe missing something but it doesn't read like a Celtc function, it reads like a generic football thing and Lennon has stepped in at short notice to cover for an ill Bertie Auld.

Which maybe makes it a Hibs function, with Chris Sutton :greengrin

Either way, I'm not losing much sleep.

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2018, 11:20 PM
You think a Celtic social function should take priority rather than overseeing our training camp in Portugal, vital prep for the Derby and our friendly tomorrow which offers a chance to experiment and assess new players?

It's not a Celtic function.

macca70
11-01-2018, 11:22 PM
I'm maybe missing something but it doesn't read like a Celtc function, it reads like a generic football thing and Lennon has stepped in at short notice to cover for an ill Bertie Auld.

Which maybe makes it a Hibs function, with Chris Sutton :greengrin

Either way, I'm not losing much sleep.

Still find it strange that the manager would prioritise anything else over spending quality time away at a training camp with the squad. He’s employed to manage Hibs and use this time to put us in as best position as possible for the season restarting, not flying back early for some social function.

Jamesie
11-01-2018, 11:27 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/gchalls/status/918869699428884481?lang=en-gb

Nah, it’s Sutton who is replacing Auld, and this has obviously been in Lennon’s diary since at least October. When was our training camp organised?

macca70
11-01-2018, 11:32 PM
It's not a Celtic function.

Ok sorry, your right, it’s not a ‘Celtic Function’, it is a Scottish Football function for Celtic legends Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon to discuss their footballing careers.

1 Celtic legend pulled out so was replaced by another Celtic legend.

Seems like a Celtic function to me.

NAE NOOKIE
11-01-2018, 11:35 PM
The way its worded makes it seem as if Sutton is replacing Bertie Auld rather than Neil Lennon being the replacement, if so its possible Lennon had this gig in his diary well in advance ... whatever it is it doesn't look like a Celtic function to me. If he had this planned knowing we would be on a winter break and before he knew we would be going to Portugal fine ... but if not then in my opinion he shouldn't be leaving the squad to undertake non Hibs engagements.

I don't have any problem with NL attending Celtic or any other functions if he wants to ..... my opinion would certainly change on that if it came to him missing Hibs training sessions or friendly matches, especially where a new striker is being assessed to do so. In his own time fine, in Hibs time absolutely not ..... Hibs come first, end of story.

CallumLaidlaw
11-01-2018, 11:36 PM
He flew back to Scotland last night and is flying back to Portugal in the morning and will be back in time for the match. He’ll have been contracted to the event. Plenty other coaches still present in Portugal. Really isn’t an issue apart from the folk that want to make it one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Ok sorry, your right, it’s not a ‘Celtic Function’, it is a Scottish Football function for Celtic legends Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon to discuss their footballing careers.

1 Celtic legend pulled out so was replaced by another Celtic legend.

Seems like a Celtic function to me.

I attend plenty of these events that involve Liverpool legends. The next one is Rush and McMahon in February in Edinburgh. If you don't like it fair enough, but surely if tbe club have no objections, it's fine.

Callum_62
11-01-2018, 11:42 PM
He flew back to Scotland last night and is flying back to Portugal in the morning and will be back in time for the match. He’ll have been contracted to the event. Plenty other coaches still present in Portugal. Really isn’t an issue apart from the folk that want to make it one.

:agree: Portugals a what 3 hour flight?

No issue what so ever with this

jacomo
11-01-2018, 11:50 PM

Without knowing the working arrangements of the camp or indeed the details of his contract with our club, I’m not going to get too worked up about it.

weecounty hibby
11-01-2018, 11:52 PM
File under "so what" and move on

poolman
11-01-2018, 11:53 PM
Without knowing the working arrangements of the camp or indeed the details of his contract with our club, I’m not going to get too worked up about it.

Exactly, a few getting their y-fronts in a twist over nothing :yawn:

Jamesie
11-01-2018, 11:54 PM

How’s he getting back tomorrow morning? I’m not doubting you - it’s just I had a look at Skyscanner and nothing was jumping out at me departing tomorrow morning that would get him to Faro for kick off time, unless he has chartered a private plane.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2018, 11:55 PM
I wish he didn't have such an affinity with Celtic but he does and the people in charge at Hibs don't appear to have a problem with it so that's the end of it for me.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2018, 11:56 PM
NL: Leeann, would it be possible for me to travel back from Portugal to Edinburgh for one evening to attend a function I previously agreed to speak at? It won't cost Hibs anything and it won't disrupt our training camp.

LeeAnn: No.

😂😂😂

Cabbage East
11-01-2018, 11:58 PM
I attend plenty of these events that involve Liverpool legends. The next one is Rush and McMahon in February in Edinburgh. If you don't like it fair enough, but surely if tbe club have no objections, it's fine.

Shoehorn.

guthrie01
12-01-2018, 12:03 AM
If his flight gets delayed or cancelled then it could very well be a problem. I don't mind what he does in his free time but leaving in the middle of a training camp just for a function, which he could of declined, isn't just a simple matter.

Mibbes Aye
12-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Still find it strange that the manager would prioritise anything else over spending quality time away at a training camp with the squad. He’s employed to manage Hibs and use this time to put us in as best position as possible for the season restarting, not flying back early for some social function.

I think you are assuming Leanne Dempster didn't ok this. As his line manager it seems fairly obvious she did.

If not then at least one of them isn't doing their job properly.

I suspect they are both doing their job properly and both NL and LD agreed this.

Of course if you have evidence otherwise.......

The Harp
12-01-2018, 12:16 AM
Seems some out there are intent on picking fault regarding NL, no matter how trivial it may be. Give the guy a break for God's sake.

macca70
12-01-2018, 12:20 AM
I think you are assuming Leanne Dempster didn't ok this. As his line manager it seems fairly obvious she did.

If not then at least one of them isn't doing their job properly.

I suspect they are both doing their job properly and both NL and LD agreed this.

Of course if you have evidence otherwise.......

Where did I say he went awol and escaped our training camp on unauthorised leave?

Clearly the club did plan for it, Leann was sat on the flight home with him. I still think our manager has got his priorities wrong, regardless if the club gave it the all clear.

Jones28
12-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Can the thread title please be changed before the hysteria sets in?

Ronniekirk
12-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Cloak and Dagger He s probably persuading someone there to sign for Hibs

macca70
12-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Seems some out there are intent on picking fault regarding NL, no matter how trivial it may be. Give the guy a break for God's sake.

Do you think our manager missing days away from an important training camp just so he can attend a 2 hr function to talk about his career at Celtic is acceptable?

Priorities are all wrong in my opinion.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Who trains the team ? the ability to trust and appropriately delegate and empower is viewed as decent management in some quarters. Presenteeism and command and control is a bit pre-90s

Pete
12-01-2018, 12:37 AM
Do you think our manager missing days away from an important training camp just so he can attend a 2 hr function to talk about his career at Celtic is acceptable?

Totally acceptable.

Unless you play for Drama Queen United.

AK86
12-01-2018, 12:45 AM
It's not ideal, and in a perfect world it wouldn't be happening .
But Neil Lennon isn't going to this function as a punter, make no mistake he will be receiving a healthy appearance fee. He probably has it in his contract that he can take leave for other business interests I.e. His tv work.
We either accept a good manager , on the money we can afford and allow them to earn more elsewhere , or we settle for Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher sorts. I know which I prefer.

macca70
12-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Totally acceptable.

Unless you play for Drama Queen United.

1 of our biggest games of the season next week,

We currently seem to be struggling to score goals.

Our manager has limited time to assess our new striker.

Valuable time away to bond with the squad and work with them in prep for season restarting.

But you think he is quite rightly taking days out to prioritise a 2 hour function pandering to 1 of our league rivals?

Vini1875
12-01-2018, 01:03 AM
I don't like it, but also see that it is no big deal. NL has been a supporter, player and manager there, he may even be back there one day in some capacity, so staying in touch is entirely justified on his part. I think the outrage is a bit hypocritical, when many of us revel in ex-players of ours, who are with other clubs, come among our fans to support Hibs. there is also an ex-manager who we welcome back on any occassion regardless of his present club.

I am also sure that Lennie turns down many invitations from celtc functions.

Apart from his job with the team he also has to speak to Leanne, George Craig and Co. regarding players in and out. His duties don't just involve the first team players and as for the derby I think we all know how hearts are going to "play", so not a great deal to be done there.

kaimendhibs
12-01-2018, 01:17 AM
Oh ffs. Any opportunity to cause a problem. Sack him, its a hanging offence[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The_Horde
12-01-2018, 01:29 AM
Abysmal. This is just as bad as caldwerwoods sweetie incident and I remember loads of folk playing that one down at the time too.

Let's stokes come and go as he pleases and does the very same himself. It's time "Lenny" starts practicing what he preaches. Until then we'll continue to see mixed performances from players who don't fully know what to expect one week to the next.

Ozyhibby
12-01-2018, 01:37 AM
I thought this thread would be a dull whine fest about some minor HR issue at Hibs. How wrong I was. Macca70 is about explode. Others are joining in. By tomorrow afternoon (by which time Lennon will be back in Portugal ) we’ll be at least 4 pages. Be tough to keep up this level of rage though. [emoji23]

Johnny_Leith
12-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Some folk are so angry about anything, chill out, you'll probably live longer.

Mibbes Aye
12-01-2018, 01:44 AM
Where did I say he went awol and escaped our training camp on unauthorised leave?

Clearly the club did plan for it, Leann was sat on the flight home with him. I still think our manager has got his priorities wrong, regardless if the club gave it the all clear.

So you agree his manager okayed it.

Then if you still have an issue it becomes a Leanne issue, not a Neil issue.

And for me, it's not an issue.

OsloHibs
12-01-2018, 02:38 AM
I don't like it full stop.

JOD
12-01-2018, 04:42 AM
How’s he getting back tomorrow morning? I’m not doubting you - it’s just I had a look at Skyscanner and nothing was jumping out at me departing tomorrow morning that would get him to Faro for kick off time, unless he has chartered a private plane.

If he gets first flight to Gatwick he gets a direct flight to Faro which arrives 10.50 local time. Kick off 1pm.
I don't see a problem.
What a hullabaloo about nothing. :confused::confused:

HoboHarry
12-01-2018, 04:51 AM
It is a Celtic function - he's coming back to buy Leigh Griffiths for 150k........

timewilltell
12-01-2018, 06:14 AM

Who cares...??

Peevemor
12-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Is he? If it was the derby this afternoon I might agree, but the players, due to the match today, won't have had full sessions yesterday afternoon or this morning.

Does he normally spend Friday afternoon and Saturday morning with the squad when we've a match at ER?

Tornadoes70
12-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Who cares...??

:top marks

A total non story for most of us.

Lenny has been fantastic for Hibernian. If the club are informed and afford permission then all well and good.

Mon the Cabbage.

:flag:

RIP
12-01-2018, 06:49 AM
I also heard a rumour that some Celtic players have been spotted in the stands supporting Hibs.

The world has gone mad.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 07:15 AM

Agree totally, dear oh dear. So basically he is missing nothing will be back for todays game we will have loads of other staff in Portugal more than capable of doing the job and he is going to an event he was previously committed to attend. Looks like some want to be outraged.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Is he? If it was the derby this afternoon I might agree, but the players, due to the match today, won't have had full sessions yesterday afternoon or this morning.

Does he normally spend Friday afternoon and Saturday morning with the squad when we've a match at ER?

Might actually be a positive for both the players and the manager to get a wee break from each other also.

The Harp
12-01-2018, 07:20 AM

It's the price you have to pay for having a high profile manager who commands media attention, and who folk actually enjoy listening to. This wasn't always the case at ER with some of our previous managers.
You're causing unrest needlessly imo.

lyonhibs
12-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Even if, as seems isn't going to be the case anyway, he were to miss the match, it's not like we're talking about Buffoons United Butcher and Marsella here.

I'm sure he trusts GP enough to be in the dugout/assess this new lad if, for whatever reason, his scheduled flights run into some delay.

I think it does make a difference what order things happened in though. Was he approached re this evening before Portugal happened and accepted thinking we'd be in Scotland or did he accept knowing we'd be in Portugal.

If the latter then I think it's a bit off but I'm not going to scream bloody blue murder about it either.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Abysmal. This is just as bad as caldwerwoods sweetie incident and I remember loads of folk playing that one down at the time too.

Let's stokes come and go as he pleases and does the very same himself. It's time "Lenny" starts practicing what he preaches. Until then we'll continue to see mixed performances from players who don't fully know what to expect one week to the next.

Please tell me you are joking. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2018, 07:38 AM
If only we had a manager who's profile wasn't so high due to his successes that appearances on TV and at other events weren't required.
Sigh......I long for those days again, I really do.

Callum_62
12-01-2018, 07:46 AM
If only we had a manager who's profile wasn't so high due to his successes that appearances on TV and at other events weren't required.

[emoji23][emoji1303][emoji1303]

CorrieHibs
12-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Exactly!

Bring back the numpty managers we use to employ to avoid these scenarios.

TrinityHibs
12-01-2018, 07:50 AM

If this is happening could I also ask for crowd numbers to drop as it takes ages to get back to my car when the game ends.

Brightside
12-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Don't worry people. I'll take the team. :aok:

Smartie
12-01-2018, 08:02 AM
I really rate Garry Parker. He was a great player and has gone on to become s superb coach, an excellent communicator and one of the most able assistant managers we've ever had.

Lennon is the front man of a much larger unit, which can operate perfectly well when he's not there.

Complete non-story.

wookie70
12-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Seems a bit off and would be interesting to see when he agreed to do the function. Hope he watches the game as that would seem pretty important to me.

stoneyburn hibs
12-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Lenny is using a private jet, funded by HSL.
Your post gave me a giggle, checking sky scanner wtf?

hibsforeurope
12-01-2018, 08:11 AM
It's obvious that we can't pay him the money he was on at Celtic maybe Hibs are allowing him a little extra leeway to make up for this shortfall. Either way as long as he is still able to be the Hibs Head Coach I'm happy with the arrangements Hibs and Lennon have come to. It seems to be working well for all involved.

H18 SFR
12-01-2018, 08:19 AM

Offt, hardly an issue, plus it lets the boys go out on the lash and get smashed - team building.

Steve20
12-01-2018, 08:22 AM
I wonder how many of the 'non story' and 'It's no big deal' group would be saying the same if he was an ex-hun heading back to do a function in front of Rangers supporters?

It's a bit off him leaving the squad to fly back for Celtic fans. A Hibs manager shouldn't be doing this.

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 08:24 AM
I really rate Garry Parker. He was a great player and has gone on to become s superb coach, an excellent communicator and one of the most able assistant managers we've ever had.

Lennon is the front man of a much larger unit, which can operate perfectly well when he's not there.

Complete non-story.Yep, agree. Mourhino still lives in London and isn't in Manchester every waking hour and don't get me started on guardiola and his trips to Spain.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2018, 08:27 AM
If he flew back to visit his granny would anyone have an issue??

Its **** all to do with us. We don’t own him 24/7 and he’s entitled to live his life.

Why a Hibs fan would start a thread like this is beyond me. Trying to cause unrest for no reason at all?

Why not go the full hog and start a Lennon Must Go thread?

marinello59
12-01-2018, 08:29 AM
What a terrible time to be a Hibs fan, it’s just one outrage after another. Bring back Calderwood and Butcher to rescue us all from this living hell.

Jack
12-01-2018, 08:31 AM
I bet the players had a drunken party last night.

The Harp Awakes
12-01-2018, 08:37 AM

:yawn:

Well seeing it's the Winter shut down and everyone's getting bored.

macca70
12-01-2018, 08:44 AM
I just think it’s bizarre that this 2 hr function would be a priority for our manager over spending a couple of extra days with the squad in a training camp over in Portugal.

What’s even more bizarre is folk on here that can’t see that.

We have 1 of our biggest games of the season next week and Lennon decides to take 3 days away from an extremely valuable training camp to attend this 2 hr function.

macca70
12-01-2018, 08:45 AM
I bet the players had a drunken party last night.

Unlikely,

oh wait, I thought you were serious, just another sarcastic .net poster.

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2018, 08:48 AM
I wonder how many of the 'non story' and 'It's no big deal' group would be saying the same if he was an ex-hun heading back to do a function in front of Rangers supporters?

It's a bit off him leaving the squad to fly back for Celtic fans. A Hibs manager shouldn't be doing this.

Celtic or Rangers. Is there a difference that I have not been told about?

Northernhibee
12-01-2018, 08:58 AM
It's not ideal, and in a perfect world it wouldn't be happening .
But Neil Lennon isn't going to this function as a punter, make no mistake he will be receiving a healthy appearance fee. He probably has it in his contract that he can take leave for other business interests I.e. His tv work.
We either accept a good manager , on the money we can afford and allow them to earn more elsewhere , or we settle for Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher sorts. I know which I prefer.

You're right, that's the only three managers we have as an option.
Let's see if he comes back for kick off today. Will be disappointed if he doesn't.

Hibee87
12-01-2018, 09:00 AM
I just think it’s bizarre that this 2 hr function would be a priority for our manager over spending a couple of extra days with the squad in a training camp over in Portugal.

What’s even more bizarre is folk on here that can’t see that.

We have 1 of our biggest games of the season next week and Lennon decides to take 3 days away from an extremely valuable training camp to attend this 2 hr function.

Has it not already been said he Flew out for the event yesterday afternoon and then back this morning?

Im not sure why your getting so excited tbh. What do you think happens when he is not there? Do all the other coaches and players all have a melt down and wander about lost not knowing what to do?

Your making a mountain out of nothing here.

macca70
12-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Has it not already been said he Flew out for the event yesterday afternoon and then back this morning?

Im not sure why your getting so excited tbh. What do you think happens when he is not there? Do all the other coaches and players all have a melt down and wander about lost not knowing what to do?

No he didn’t, it was Wednesday flight and maybe flight back this morning but no one knows

Nakedmanoncrack
12-01-2018, 09:05 AM

It has been speculated that he may be able to fly out in time for KO, but nobody has said that's what is happening.

vuefrom1875
12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
If he flew back to visit his granny would anyone have an issue??

Its **** all to do with us. We don’t own him 24/7 and he’s entitled to live his life.

Why a Hibs fan would start a thread like this is beyond me. Trying to cause unrest for no reason at all?

Why not go the full hog and start a Lennon Must Go thread?

Agreed...Much ado about nothing.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2018, 09:21 AM
He's a high profile manager, who's subsidising his wages by attending a few functions like these.

I don't like it, especially as i believe he should be giving Hibs 100% attention while we are away, but if it's the price we have to pay to get a man who's getting us playing decent stuff and punching our weight at last, then its a case of not liking it but putting up with it.

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2018, 09:34 AM
No he didn’t, it was Wednesday flight and maybe flight back this morning but no one knows

We do know. I know someone that was on the same flight as him on Wednesday evening. They spoke to him and he said he was flying back this morning. So he’s missed 1 day. And we still have Garry Parker and all the other coaching big staff there to take the sessions which they probably take the chunk of anyway.

Another thing that annoys me is this “if it was rangers”. Why does everything have to become a Rangers/Celtic debate. He has CLEARLY been contracted to this well before Portugal was arranged. They actually have to sell tickets to these events believe it or not [emoji85][emoji85]

MrSmith
12-01-2018, 09:36 AM
We do know. I know someone that was on the same flight as him on Wednesday evening. They spoke to him and he said he was flying back this morning. So he’s missed 1 day. And we still have Garry Parker and all the other coaching big staff there to take the sessions which they probably take the chunk of anyway.

Another thing that annoys me is this “if it was rangers”. Why does everything have to become a Rangers/Celtic debate. He has CLEARLY been contracted to this well before Portugal was arranged. They actually have to sell tickets to these events believe it or not [emoji85][emoji85]

agree 100% I’m sanguine about it.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 09:37 AM

Yep the Rangers Celtic thing is nonsense. Must be the January blues affecting some folk. :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Someone really should’ve told the players Lennon wasn’t about. They seem to actually have been training yesterday.

https://twitter.com/calvin_charlton/status/951548340419874822

https://twitter.com/hibsofficial/status/951540907601428480

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/5062e52d423b94fd5438ec86e51bcb2f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/4c3383b7b718013377e837ecf7b5ccd9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/32e2430ec5fb739d4a28025f381d3eb1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/c535fa23a6468ac3fc915a56868a7772.jpg

H18 SFR
12-01-2018, 09:45 AM
My mate works at the airport, Lennon spotted on an early flight out, apparently he had a pint with his fry up, don't tell the OP though.

we are hibs
12-01-2018, 09:49 AM
If it was a manager with Rangers connections going to a event about Rangers people would be up in arms. But Lennon can do no wrong in some people's eyes which is bizarre.

Carheenlea
12-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Must admit on first reading the initial reaction was annoyance, but stepping back and looking at the bigger picture it doesn't really seem too much of a big deal.

heretoday
12-01-2018, 09:53 AM
I don't like it but since it's one of his former clubs and he is (sort of) on his holidays, I'll let it go.

Who's keeping the guys out of the tavernas while he's away?

green day
12-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Am I right in saying he is back there this morning?

If so, cant really see the fuss.

While NL is the focal point, its not as if he is the only management / coaching rep out there, he probably committed to this event some time ago.

Johnny Clash
12-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Previous speakers at these ‘Legends of Scottish Football’ events have been Tommy Docherty and Joe Jordan so not a Celtic gig as has been claimed. They also tend to pair OF speakers together presumably to attract a bigger audience?

Anyway, one things for sure - the Jambos won’t ever have to fret about their manager being invited to a Legends event!

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Must admit on first reading the initial reaction was annoyance, but stepping back and looking at the bigger picture it doesn't really seem too much of a big deal.

Was exactly how I felt. He'll have been contracted to this event which will have tickets sold for it. I'm sure when the Portugal trip was planned they'd have looked for ways around it and ended up planning the trip with his 36 hour exit in mind, so there was minimum impact.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 10:12 AM
If it was a manager with Rangers connections going to a event about Rangers people would be up in arms. But Lennon can do no wrong in some people's eyes which is bizarre.

Nothing bizarrre about it he is a good Hibs manager and we should support him not look for ways to have a go when not an issue. The Rangers comment is irrelavant.

Borderhibbie76
12-01-2018, 10:19 AM
If it was a manager with Rangers connections going to a event about Rangers people would be up in arms. But Lennon can do no wrong in some people's eyes which is bizarre.And he can do no right in others eyes...big fuss about nothing what a nonsense

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Steve-O
12-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Do football managers not get any annual leave?

DH1875
12-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Thing is, he wasn't at a Celtic function.

He was at that well known celtic supporters club called the Royal concert hall for an event called, an evening with Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon (no idea where Bertie Auld fits into it). Whilst in no doubt most of the talking would have been focused around celtic it had nothing to do with celtic and was not a celtic function. There was nothing to stop Hibs fans or fans from any other team for that matter booking tickets. You could even have went and raised some of the concerns that have been raised on here if you wanted as sure they had a Q&A session. The venue was booked ages ago and tickets have been on sale all that time so its not been some big secret and yeah, they were probably both paid quite well for it.

DH1875
12-01-2018, 10:37 AM

He wasn't at a celtic supporters function. Really not sure why folks can't quite grasp this.

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't know anyone who spends 100% of their time on their job without doing anything outside of it in their own time.

I occasionally work with people who do work for clients and their competitors and so long as their employers are okay with it the individual is usually savvy enough to avoid conflict.

I'm delighted to have a manager who is respected enough to be asked to all the things Neil does. He doesn't cross any lines in my opinion and may well be honouring things he's agreed to do.

BullsCloseHibs
12-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Nonsense of a thread.

have a word man.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 10:47 AM
I don't know anyone who spends 100% of their time on their job without doing anything outside of it in their own time.

I occasionally work with people who do work for clients and their competitors and so long as their employers are okay with it the individual is usually savvy enough to avoid conflict.

I'm delighted to have a manager who is respected enough to be asked to all the things Neil does. He doesn't cross any lines in my opinion and may well be honouring things he's agreed to do.

Are you kidding? This a fully paid for training camp for the squad ahead of the second part of the season. As per Tommy Wright's gripe this wouldn't have been cheap.

Neil Lennon is Hibernian manager and shouldn't be jaunting away back to a Celtic love in, in the middle of our training. If it's a contractual excuse why is he agreeing to this in the middle of the season regardless?

Could you imagine Brendan Rodgers swanning off to a Liverpool love in? No, it would simply be cancelled. It's unprofessional in my eyes.

That's not even mentioning the amount of hypocrites saying this is fine while greetin' over a former player taking the Huns under 13s after being bumped out a coaching role, ironically by Lennon.

Finally, I've no agenda against Neil Lennon before anyone makes up otherwise. He's Hibernian manager, **** all to do with Celtic.

Arch Stanton
12-01-2018, 10:49 AM
My mate works at the airport, Lennon spotted on an early flight out, apparently he had a pint with his fry up, don't tell the OP though.

Fair enough with me. He probably had plenty time to sneak back to his tent in the training camp, cuddle up in his sleeping bag to sleep it off for a few hours, and still have plenty time to re-introduce himself to the players before kickoff.

Not In The Know
12-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Lennon is probably getting paid quite a tidy sum for this gig.

A tidy sum that supplements his income while earning a fraction at Hibs of what he could earn at a league one /championship team down south...

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Are you kidding? This a fully paid for training camp for the squad ahead of the second part of the season. As per Tommy Wright's gripe this wouldn't have been cheap.

Neil Lennon is Hibernian manager and shouldn't be jaunting away back to a Celtic love in, in the middle of our training. If it's a contractual excuse why is he agreeing to this in the middle of the season regardless?

Could you imagine Brendan Rodgers swanning off to a Liverpool love in? No, it would simply be cancelled. It's unprofessional in my eyes.

That's not even mentioning the amount of hypocrites saying this is fine while greetin' over a former player taking the Huns under 13s after being bumped out a coaching role, ironically by Lennon.

Finally, I've no agenda against Neil Lennon before anyone makes up otherwise. He's Hibernian manager, **** all to do with Celtic.No, like yours it's a genuinely held opinion.

For what it's worth there are quite a few managers and players who have agreements with their clubs about outside activities. As others have said it's maybe the price we agreed for having a decent higher profile manager who is in demand.

PS I agree with you re KT. He's got to earn a living and if the offer came along why turn it down?

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Lennon is probably getting paid quite a tidy sum for this gig.

A tidy sum that supplements his income while earning a fraction at Hibs of what he could earn at a league one /championship team down south...

After Bolton it's us that's helping Lennon build his career again. You think he would stay at Hibs if more money was offered down South?

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 10:55 AM
No, like yours it's a genuinely held opinion.

For what it's worth there are quite a few managers and players who have agreements with their clubs about outside activities. As others have said it's maybe the price we agreed for having a decent higher profile manager who is in demand.

Outside activities I could live with. When this involves leaving a training camp abroad in the middle of the season to turn up at a Celtic love in then I oppose.

High profile and high demand manager for who? Celtic football club? Nah fk that as a price to pay.

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Outside activities I could live with. When this involves leaving a training camp abroad in the middle of the season to turn up at a Celtic love in then I oppose.

High profile and high demand manager for who? Celtic football club? Nah fk that as a price to pay.It seems that people like the BBC,for example, do want his input, as does whoever organised the event we're talking about.

Any road, respect your view. I'm away to catch a train to Norwich.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 11:03 AM
It seems that people like the BBC,for example, do want his input, as does whoever organised the event we're talking about.

BBC, Champions League tv etc all fine by me if it is in the middle of the week and doesn't disrupt training. This is a totally different level though, a love in with a club in our league, leaving Portugal to go to it, baffling how people find this to be acceptable.

Fair do's. Safe trip :aok:

Pete
12-01-2018, 11:10 AM
It seems that people like the BBC,for example, do want his input, as does whoever organised the event we're talking about.

I don’t know all the details but I don’t agree with your trip to Norwich.

It just isn’t right.

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 11:12 AM
I don’t know all the details but I don’t agree with your trip to Norwich.

It just isn’t right.Last minute attempt to hijack the yams naismith deal. Either that or a beer festival. [emoji4]

Beefster
12-01-2018, 11:27 AM
I could have guessed 75% of the “wtf does Lennon think he’s playing at” crew before they even posted how unhappy they were at him taking a few hours off.

Captain Trips
12-01-2018, 11:31 AM
There's only one Neil Lennon. :nlgwa

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I could have guessed 75% of the “wtf does Lennon think he’s playing at” crew before they even posted how unhappy they were at him taking a few hours off.

Imagine wanting our manager to be 100% committed to the club and are quite uneasy with his unhealthy links to his former club to the determent of ours. :confused:

If this was a hearts manager away to a huns function or Craig Levein to a Harry Potter book convention we would be laughing our nuts off.

ancient hibee
12-01-2018, 11:52 AM
This was arranged and advertised months ago.Part of the proceeds are going to charity.Perhaps Hibs shouldn’t have arranged the camp covering a period when the manager had a prior commitment.Or perhaps the manager could come back for a day and miss a no account bounce game.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 11:55 AM
This was arranged and advertised months ago.Part of the proceeds are going to charity.Perhaps Hibs shouldn’t have arranged the camp covering a period when the manager had a prior commitment.Or perhaps the manager could come back for a day and miss a no account bounce game.

Months ago was still manager of Hibernian Football Club. Perhaps the manager should be told by the club his priorities at this stage of the season is with us and not a Celtic love in tribute evening in the middle of our winter training camp?

I could even slightly see the point if this was last season and this was arranged prior to him joining the club like the Euro 2016 BBC stuff but arranging this a few months back doesn't sit right.

Speedway
12-01-2018, 11:55 AM
NL has a stipulation in his contract which demands that while he is manager, all male HibsKids members must be renamed and referred to as BernianBhoys.

But hey, if Hibs think that this is acceptable then y'know, whatevs.

Blaster
12-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Months ago was still manager of Hibernian Football Club. Perhaps the manager should be told by the club his priorities at this stage of the season is with us and not a Celtic love in tribute evening in the middle of our winter training camp?

Is he not allowed any personal time, no? Talk about making an issue out of nothing

Get a grip

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Is he not allowed any personal time, no? Talk about making an issue out of nothing

Get a grip

Are the players all allowed personal time in the middle of a January training trip to Portugal? I suspect that they wouldn't be allowed to fly back for a pre-arranged surprise birthday party.

This is an expensive trip funded by the club to get the maximum out of to give us the best platform going into the second half of the season. Not a 4 day trip of the Jack Kane.

Sioux
12-01-2018, 12:00 PM
BBC, Champions League tv etc all fine by me if it is in the middle of the week and doesn't disrupt training. This is a totally different level though, a love in with a club in our league, leaving Portugal to go to it, baffling how people find this to be acceptable.

Fair do's. Safe trip :aok:

You're just making things up. Please explain how training will be disrupted?

Pete
12-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Last minute attempt to hijack the yams naismith deal. Either that or a beer festival. [emoji4]

I can accept that.

However, the time-management police that have got hold of Lennon might not be so understanding. 😂

Beefster
12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Imagine wanting our manager to be 100% committed to the club and are quite uneasy with his unhealthy links to his former club to the determent of ours. :confused:

If this was a hearts manager away to a huns function or Craig Levein to a Harry Potter book convention we would be laughing our nuts off.

Who says he isn’t 100% committed to the club?

By the way, at the risk of repeating lots of other posters, it wasn’t a ****ing Celtic function.

Mainstandman
12-01-2018, 12:05 PM
It's a measure of a we'll run club that the manger can be away and his ethos is still maintained by the players and staff. If he's required to always be there to ensure they work and train hard them something is wrong.

How many of you want your boss standing over you all the time.

SquashedFrogg
12-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Not bothered in the slightest by this. Really can't understand the fuss.

Lennon demonstrates nothing but 100% to Hibs. That's all I need to see in a manager.

ancient hibee
12-01-2018, 12:06 PM

By the way, at the risk of repeating lots of other posters, it wasn’t a ****ing Celtic function.
Stop stating facts.You’ll get a bad reputation.

SquashedFrogg
12-01-2018, 12:07 PM

Unhealthy? How?

Betty Boop
12-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Finally, I've no agenda against Neil Lennon before anyone makes up otherwise. He's Hibernian manager, **** all to do with Celtic.

Great post Firestarter.

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Everyone can relax and close this thread.. It turns out lots of Hibees were present as they were delighted to listen to their manager talking about his football career. The split was such that it could actually be classed as a Hibs function.

Carheenlea
12-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Everyone can relax and close this thread.. It turns out lots of Hibees were present as they were delighted to listen to their manager talking about his football career. The split was such that it could actually be classed as a Hibs function.

Well in that case it's pretty poor to just give the fans a couple of hours of his time - another kick in the teeth :grr:

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 12:24 PM
You're just making things up. Please explain how training will be disrupted?

The manager of the team wouldn't have been there. The number 1 figurehead of the playing side of Hibernian FC is at a Celtic gig in Scotland. I fail to see how it wouldn't.

macca70
12-01-2018, 12:25 PM

Exactly, not slatingbour manager just very surprised that this would take priority over valuable prep time with the squad and a training camp in Portugal prior to 1 of the biggest games of our season.

The folk getting there knickers in a twist are the ones claiming that my original post was an attempt to start a campaign to have the manager sacked.

All I stated was it was strange that this function would take priority.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 12:26 PM

If he;s 100% committed to the club he cancels his cosy wee meet with Celtic fans.

Sorry, it wasn't an official Celtic function, was there many Rangers fans in attendance listening to Lennon and Sutton who played for what other Scottish Club again? :confused:

chrisski33
jeezo this is a 5 page thread lol

Firestarter
Exactly, not slatingbour manager just very surprised that this would take priority over valuable prep time with the squad and a training camp in Portugal prior to 1 of the biggest games of our season.

The folk getting there knickers in a twist are the ones claiming that my original post was an attempt to start a campaign to have the manager sacked.

All I stated was it was strange that this function would take priority.

:agree: It's even stranger the relaxed attitude there is to this.

SRHibs
12-01-2018, 12:27 PM
If he;s 100% committed to the club he cancels his cosy wee meet with Celtic fans.

Sorry, it wasn't an official Celtic function, was there many Rangers fans in attendance listening to Lennon and Sutton who played for what other Scottish Club again? :confused:

Would agree. Don’t think it’s fair for people to compare this to Leigh being a Hibby either. Lennon should be setting the example when it comes to loyalty and dedication to the club. It’s an odd situation.

Nakedmanoncrack
12-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Clearly supporters have a range of opinions over this, seems fair to assume that it will be the same within the squad & staff. I'm in the middle, not raging, but can accept it doesn't look great. I know there are those who instinctively refuse to accept any criticism of the club & management, but hard to believe that they can't see any potential issue. Of course if we win the derby and go on to have a successful season none of it will matter, time will tell.

Pete
12-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Clearly supporters have a range of opinions over this, seems fair to assume that it will be the same within the squad & staff.

I don’t think it’s fair to assume that at all. I’m willing to bet that there isn’t one person in our club who has a problem with this, primarily because they know the finer details.

Also, comparisons aren’t valid as there are no faceless trolls within our club who are determined to cause unrest over trivial matters. :hmmm:

Thegreenside
12-01-2018, 12:36 PM
If he isn’t 100% committed as the leader surely that trickles down

Nakedmanoncrack
12-01-2018, 12:37 PM
I don’t think it’s fair to assume that at all. I’m willing to bet that there isn’t one person in our club who has a problem with this, primarily because they know the finer details.

Also, comparisons aren’t valid as there are no faceless trolls within our club who are determined to cause unrest over trivial matters. :hmmm:

I think it fair to believe that in any group of people, there will be a variety of opinions regardless of how they are briefed.

See what I mean! Anyone asking legitimate questions, not abusing, or calling for people to be sacked etc has to be a "faceless troll determined to cause unrest" to the ultra loyal.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 12:37 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

WestStandWillie
12-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Event wiz organised prior to the training camp being arranged and during the winter shutdown of oor league.

Absolutely nowt wrong and i've got faith in Parker to lead in NL's absence.

Sioux
12-01-2018, 12:40 PM
The manager of the team wouldn't have been there. The number 1 figurehead of the playing side of Hibernian FC is at a Celtic gig in Scotland. I fail to see how it wouldn't.

That's your problem right there.

H18 SFR
12-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Kick off delayed 15 mins due to Lennon being stuck in traffic, all is well.

Just Jimmy
12-01-2018, 12:42 PM
He wants and tries to beat Celtic when we play Celtic.

He wants hibs to be better.

He loves pumping Hearts.

Zero conflict of interest here.

macca70
12-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Jeezo, hardly causing unrest!! It’s a Hibs related issue on a Hibs Fans forum. Your making it more than it is with these dramatic posts.

Pete
12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
I think it fair to believe that in any group of people, there will be a variety of opinions regardless of how they are briefed.

See what I mean! Anyone asking legitimate questions, not abusing, or calling for people to be sacked etc has to be a "faceless troll determined to cause unrest" to the ultra loyal.

I think it depends what the matter is and I really can’t see anyone having a problem with this.

As for your last paragraph, I’m sorry but all I’m doing is calling out blatant trolling . Comments like “It's even stranger the relaxed attitude there is to this.” and suggestions that he’s not 100% commited and it will trickle down fall into that category. You’re also confusing the default position of loyalty towards our club with “ultra loyalty”, whatever that is.

Here’s something to consider: Maybe a part of his coping strategy is to go to a “happy place” and have a wee break now and again. Surely we can make some allowances.

Anyway Nakedman, my beef isn’t with you but I’ll call a spade a spade when I see it. :aok:

Pete
12-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Jeezo, hardly causing unrest!! It’s a Hibs related issue on a Hibs Fans forum. Your making it more than it is with these dramatic posts.

Yes...that’s the most dramatic post on this thread. :rolleyes:

This is a load of insignificant nonsense that was probably best ignored so I’ll let you get on with it.

Lago
12-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Clearly supporters have a range of opinions over this, seems fair to assume that it will be the same within the squad & staff. I'm in the middle, not raging, but can accept it doesn't look great. I know there are those who instinctively refuse to accept any criticism of the club & management, but hard to believe that they can't see any potential issue. Of course if we win the derby and go on to have a successful season none of it will matter, time will tell.

You've expressed my thoughts exactly, at the very least it's a bit of a PR blooper on the club's part.

SRHibs
12-01-2018, 01:01 PM
I think it depends what the matter is and I really can’t see anyone having a problem with this.

As for your last paragraph, I’m sorry but all I’m doing is calling out blatant trolling . Comments like “It's even stranger the relaxed attitude there is to this.” and suggestions that he’s not 100% commited and it will trickle down fall into that category. You’re also confusing the default position of loyalty towards our club with “ultra loyalty”, whatever that is.

Here’s something to consider: Maybe a part of his coping strategy is to go to a “happy place” and have a wee break now and again. Surely we can make some allowances.

Anyway Nakedman, my beef isn’t with you but I’ll call a spade a spade when I see it. :aok:

You’re not calling a spade a spade, you’re calling anyone with a different idea of standards to yourself a troll.

The standards and actions of staff are heavily influenced by the manager’s though. I love Lennon as our manager, but the one facet of it that I don’t like is his public love-in with Celtic despite being our manager.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Calling out the loyalty of our manager who leaves our training camp to attend some Celtic minded function pish in Scotland isn't trolling. Lennon speaking to the players "right squad, good to have you all here this week, I want to make it clear I only want players 100% committed to the club and who will give 100% this week as it's costing the club a lot of money. Gary will take the training on Thursday because I'm away back to Scotland to attend a pre-planned celtic tribute night with ma pal Sutty."

As for the "happy place" that's just making up ***** to suit your stance. A wee break now and again? The clubs 3 days into a break in the Algarve ffs. :faf:

Velma Dinkley
12-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Calling out the loyalty of our manager who leaves our training camp to attend some Celtic minded function pish in Scotland isn't trolling. Lennon speaking to the players "right squad, good to have you all here this week, I want to make it clear I only want players 100% committed to the club and who will give 100% this week as it's costing the club a lot of money. Gary will take the training on Thursday because I'm away back to Scotland to attend a pre-planned celtic tribute night with ma pal Sutty."

As for the "happy place" that's just making up ***** to suit your stance. A wee break now and again? The clubs 3 days into a break in the Algarve ffs. :faf:

You seem to be obsessed with Celtic.

Firestarter
You’re not calling a spade a spade, you’re calling anyone with a different idea of standards to yourself a troll.

The standards and actions of staff are heavily influenced by the manager’s though. I love Lennon as our manager, but the one facet of it that I don’t like is his public love-in with Celtic despite being our manager.

:agree::agree:

Lennon is doing a brilliant job in general it doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants and everyone has to agree with it though.

hibbymac

:agree: ... steady on though, the "drama queen" police will be along shortly with the handcuffs :greengrin

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 01:06 PM
You seem to be obsessed with Celtic.

I would be obsessed with Motherwell if the person in charge of the playing staff at Hibernian, OUR MANAGER had bolted back to do a Minor club gig with a tribute night with Stevie Kirk too.

Albanian Hibs
12-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Get a life ffs. Can't believe the pants wetters on here.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 01:08 PM

There are probably many sessions he isnt there for one reason or another that is why he has coaching staff to assist him.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 01:09 PM
I would be obsessed with Motherwell if the person in charge of the playing staff at Hibernian, OUR MANAGER had bolted back to do a Minor club gig with a tribute night with Stevie Kirk too.

Troling massively.

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2018, 01:10 PM
I hope that those of you complaing about this today are on a day off. Would be really unprofessional of you to be using .net whilst at work.

Scandoulous really.

Tornadoes70
Yes...that’s the most dramatic post on this thread. :rolleyes:

This is a load of insignificant nonsense that was probably best ignored so I’ll let you get on with it.

:top marks:top marks:top marks

I'm totally sunbed lounger by the pool with shades on and umbrella in the drink relaxed about this. As long as our Lenny has permission from the club then there is no issue here.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Firestarter
There are probably many sessions he isnt there for one reason or another that is why he has coaching staff to assist him.

I accept that. What I believe though is leaving the winter camp to fly back home to attend a tribute night on a whole associated with another club in our league especially, sends out all the wrong messages in terms of commitment or attitude.

SRHibs
Troling massively.

What if he’d come back to attend a gig in Gorgie alongside John Robertson?

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Troling massively.

In what way exactly? I was replying to a post saying I'm obsessed with Celtic. My message was it doesn't matter regardless of what club it was, it shouldn't be happening.

Captain Trips
12-01-2018, 01:15 PM
It seems an issue for some and not for others and to be honest the only ones who this can effect are the people who work for him the players everyone out there will know the full details of this and I am sure NL didnt spring this on the players the night before and everyone is very likely to know before hand.

Until I hear the players are not happy with his "commitment" etc etc then I will worry at that juncture as this is what matters this is were we win or lose. As far as I am aware nobody seems to be bothered that can influence results.

JimboHibs
12-01-2018, 01:16 PM
In what way exactly? I was replying to a post saying I'm obsessed with Celtic. My message was it doesn't matter regardless of what club it was, it shouldn't be happening.

If you feel so strongly contact the club for an answer or you could continue to bump your gums on this thread which will achieve nothing.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 01:18 PM
If you feel so strongly contact the club for an answer or you could continue to bump your gums on this thread which will achieve nothing.

Is this not what a football message board is for to share thoughts and opinions? Does the majority of posts and threads on here achieve something like? :confused:

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Thread just shows that some Hibs fans live on a different planet to the rest of us.

Captain Trips
12-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I accept that. What I believe though is leaving the winter camp to fly back home to attend a tribute night on a whole associated with another club in our league especially, sends out all the wrong messages in terms of commitment or attitude.

That is the message it sends you and maybe some others but you cannot speak for the players at the club and what it tells them. They will know a lot more about the whole situation and when it was arranged and if they believe it sends out wrong message. I am sure if anyone isnt happy about it at the club we will find that out in this day and age. Players unhappy with managers at Hibs have never been shy about it.

Tornadoes70
12-01-2018, 01:23 PM
It seems an issue for some and not for others and to be honest the only ones who this can effect are the people who work for him the players everyone out there will know the full details of this and I am sure NL didnt spring this on the players the night before and everyone is very likely to know before hand.

Until I hear the players are not happy with his "commitment" etc etc then I will worry at that juncture as this is what matters this is were we win or lose. As far as I am aware nobody seems to be bothered that can influence results.

Lenny would have have sought the clubs permission and the squad would be forewarned and these points within themselves render it a non issue. There does seem to be folk who revel in twisting such non issues into a negative drama.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Pete
12-01-2018, 01:26 PM

The standards and actions of staff are heavily influenced by the manager’s though.

They're not my standards, they're the clubs standards and I'm assuming that people who know better than you or I have come to the conclusion that this will have no detrimental effect on the playing staff.
Anyone using this as evidence that he isn't 100% committed are speaking from a position of ignorance.

As for the other comments? Sorry but there's some trolling going on.

Pete
12-01-2018, 01:28 PM
:agree: ... steady on though, the "drama queen" police will be along shortly with the handcuffs :greengrin

Any more lip and I'll bring the truncheon too!

Captain Trips
12-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Lenny would have have sought the clubs permission and the squad would be forewarned and these points within themselves render it a non issue. There does seem to be folk who revel in twisting such non issues into a negative drama.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

People can be bothered of course folk can and for them it can suggest commitment or loyalty issues and that is fine, I have been bothered by managers in the past doing stuff that probably didnt bother the players half as much as me.

Tornadoes70
12-01-2018, 01:34 PM
People can be bothered of course folk can and for them it can suggest commitment or loyalty issues and that is fine, I have been bothered by managers in the past doing stuff that probably didnt bother the players half as much as me.

If its been granted by the club which no one has suggested it hasn't been then the professional players we have should of course just knuckle down and get on with it. He's a very high profile manager and is merely attending a function while the squad are on a break in Portugal with GP a fine second in command. I don't think it will bother the squad at all tbh. However fair dos comments mate.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 01:55 PM
That is the message it sends you and maybe some others but you cannot speak for the players at the club and what it tells them. They will know a lot more about the whole situation and when it was arranged and if they believe it sends out wrong message. I am sure if anyone isnt happy about it at the club we will find that out in this day and age. Players unhappy with managers at Hibs have never been shy about it.

Cool. :aok:

Pete
12-01-2018, 01:58 PM

I’m not making anything up to suit my stance. All I’m doing is considering his illness and keeping an open mind.

Maybe if you opened yours and gave your club the benefit of the doubt you wouldn’t feel the need to call out the loyalty of our manager (your words)

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Does neither it says he sees through commitments to events he has agreed to attend.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 02:02 PM
What if he’d come back to attend a gig in Gorgie alongside John Robertson?

Would be a little strange given he has no Hearts connections. :greengrin

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 02:07 PM
I’m not making anything up to suit my stance. All I’m doing is considering his illness and keeping an open mind.

Maybe if you opened yours and gave your club the benefit of the doubt you wouldn’t feel the need to call out the loyalty of our manager (your words)

That's exactly what you are doing. He has to take a break to a pre-arranged tribute night to some Celtic ***** because of mental health illness when he's in a training camp in Portugal? Come on man, that's not keeping an open mind it's making stuff up.

The club has my benefit of the doubt. It still doesn't hinder my opinion that it doesn't sit right, for me, that our manager is away back for a Celtic tribute night instead of being with HIS team at a training camp when he is the main figurehead of the football side of things.

There is without doubt a more relaxed attitude to this because it's Lennon and the club is Celtic. For me, personally it shouldn't happen regardless of the club. I'm not saying for one second either Lennon should cut ties with the club he's a legend at because he's our manager but being our manager and only our manager should be his priority footballing wise especially when we are on a lucrative trip abroad.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Does neither it says he sees through commitments to events he has agreed to attend.

Being our manager tops every other commitment agreed to professionally though, especially if this has been agreed to whilst our manager. But because it's Lennon and because the club is Celtic it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. :confused:

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Being our manager tops every other commitment agreed to professionally though, especially if this has been agreed to whilst our manager. But because it's Lennon and because the club is Celtic it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. :confused:

You are the only one that is saying that it has anything to do with Celtic.

If our manager had a prior event which he had agreed to do and people had bought tickets for he is doing exactly the right thing to honour that commitment. Absolute mountain out of a molehill.

The_Exile
12-01-2018, 02:17 PM
They've been worked hard this week by all accounts, I'm assuming yesterday was a day off before the game today so it would very much appear he hasn't missed a kick of a ball in training.

HoboHarry
12-01-2018, 02:18 PM
:yawn:. Time to move on to a new subject, this one has been beaten to a slow painful death.

Iggy Pope
12-01-2018, 02:19 PM
6 pages of this and only 1 page of folk looking for Derby Tickets after all that fuss.

Weirdos.!

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2018, 02:20 PM
It’s not because it’s Lennon, and it’s not because it’s Celtic.

Most of us just understand that the manager isn’t required to be with the players the whole time and there really is no problem.

All your rants on here are creating a problem that doesn’t exist.

Folk seriously think that Stokes and Efe or Oli Shaw or whoever are now sitting around questioning Lennon’s commitment to the club?

The only reason this thread exists is down to people’s hatred of Celtic.

If Lennon was back here helping a disabled Hibs fan you’d all be saying bravo, well done, Hibs class etc and wouldn’t give a damn about the training in Portugal.

SRHibs
12-01-2018, 02:26 PM
It’s not because it’s Lennon, and it’s not because it’s Celtic.

Most of us just understand that the manager isn’t required to be with the players the whole time and there really is no problem.

All your rants on here are creating a problem that doesn’t exist.

Folk seriously think that Stokes and Efe or Oli Shaw or whoever are now sitting around questioning Lennon’s commitment to the club?

The only reason this thread exists is down to people’s hatred of Celtic.

If Lennon was back here helping a disabled Hibs fan you’d all be saying bravo, well done, Hibs class etc and wouldn’t give a damn about the training in Portugal.

Well, Efe is back in Scotland, maybe he’s just following his lead? Have a wee holiday instead of going to training, nae bother.

If Lennon was back helping a Hibs fan he’d still be working as an ambassador for the club. Hardly the same thing.

Regardless, even if it isn’t causing any problems within the club(which it probably isn’t) I still think it’s a bit disrespectful.

Pete
12-01-2018, 02:32 PM
That's exactly what you are doing. He has to take a break to a pre-arranged tribute night to some Celtic ***** because of mental health illness when he's in a training camp in Portugal? Come on man, that's not keeping an open mind it's making stuff up.

This is tiring. If you think looking at the bigger picture and considering legitimate reasons why he might be granted a bit of leeway is “making stuff up” then on you go.

If you’ve genuinely given the club the benefit of the doubt then what’s the problem? The fact that it still doesn’t sit right with you gives that answer.

Anyway, you have a nice day. I won’t be actively seeking all the posts by people using this as a stick to beat Lennon with should we fail to beat Hearts.

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 02:35 PM
This is tiring. If you think looking at the bigger picture and considering legitimate reasons why he might be granted a bit of leeway is “making stuff up” then on you go.

If you’ve genuinely given the club the benefit of the doubt then what’s the problem? The fact that it still doesn’t sit right with you gives that answer.

Anyway, you have a nice day. I won’t be actively seeking all the posts by people using this as a stick to beat Lennon with should we fail to beat Hearts.

No worries Pete.

Pete
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM
No worries Pete.

:aok:

SGE HIBS
12-01-2018, 02:46 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/gchalls/status/918869699428884481?lang=en-gb

Nah, it’s Sutton who is replacing Auld, and this has obviously been in Lennon’s diary since at least October. When was our training camp organised?

What should that’ matter , he’s the Hibs manager just now , plenty time to be a Celtic legend

Allant1981
12-01-2018, 02:51 PM

do you seriously think heading away for half a day(if that) is going to disrupt things that much?

Bostonhibby
12-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Does this send a worse message to the players than seeing pictures of your manager hanging about the bookies in his spare time?

I realise there are some players who would probably ask for a tip.....

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 02:58 PM
do you seriously think heading away for half a day(if that) is going to disrupt things that much?

It doesn't set the correct tone that a celtic tribute night is more important than spending 5 days away with his squad. It should have been cancelled. It wasn't, hey ho.

Allant1981
12-01-2018, 03:01 PM
It doesn't set the correct tone that a celtic tribute night is more important than spending 5 days away with his squad. It should have been cancelled. It wasn't, hey ho.

nice deflection! i think if you are being honest you will agree that it probably had no impact on the players or training(if they were training).

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 03:07 PM
nice deflection! i think if you are being honest you will agree that it probably had no impact on the players or training(if they were training).

I never once said it disrupted stuff so there's no deflection. Regarding training, no, he doesn't take most the training anyway.

About being there as the manager of the club and leaving half way through for a night with his old club, that doesn't send the correct message out.

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2018, 04:18 PM
I never once said it disrupted stuff so there's no deflection. Regarding training, no, he doesn't take most the training anyway.

About being there as the manager of the club and leaving half way through for a night with his old club, that doesn't send the correct message out.

Was any actual message given to the squad? And how do they feel about it?

Johnny Clash
12-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Chill out mate. You keep repeating yourself and it’s now becoming obsessive. You’ve made your point about our manager travelling back to Scotland for a few hours albeit you just can’t stop yourself falsely calling the ‘legends of SCOTTISH FOOTBALL ‘ event a Celtic gig. It clearly wasn’t so you detract from your concerns by repeating this ‘untruth’. However we do get you’re upset he returned to speak at this event.

IlDiavola
12-01-2018, 05:24 PM
I can see the OP's point but this is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill situation no?

jabis
12-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Chill out mate. You keep repeating yourself and it’s now becoming obsessive. You’ve made your point about our manager travelling back to Scotland for a few hours albeit you just can’t stop yourself falsely calling the ‘legends of SCOTTISH FOOTBALL ‘ event a Celtic gig. It clearly wasn’t so you detract from your concerns by repeating this ‘untruth’. However we do get you’re upset he returned to speak at this event.

:agree:thought it was only the huns and the diet variety that got so wound up about Celtc.
Makes you wonder.

SirDavidsNapper
12-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Sure the manager trusts his backroom staff. He's done a good job so far so im not going to lose any sleep over this. Unfortunately he's a Celtic legend. Hopefully he becomes a Hibs one.

Hibbyradge
12-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Do people seriously think the players want to spend 5 days and nights in Portugal "bonding" with their manager?

Or think that's what they'd be doing? No chance.

The management team will withdraw from the players when the work's done and allow them to "bond" which is far more important. If the management were there all the time, that wouldn't happen to the same extent.

There may be an occasional set piece social event during the week, but not 24/7 "bonding" between Lennon and the team.

It would be a huge mistake for Lennon etc to be in the pockets of the squad all week.

So, Lennon's attendance at a Legends of Scotland event will have lost Hibs nothing.

Iggy Pope
12-01-2018, 06:38 PM

The correct tone would've been one with a capital T surely?

Stokesy's on fire
12-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Neil Lennon is doing a great job as Hibernian Manager and im pretty sure Gary Parker is more than capable of dealing with matters. Alex ferguson once sat out a manchester united game...

Hibby70
12-01-2018, 06:58 PM
I heard a rumour that he's on next year's Celebrity Big Brother.

Some folk are going to lose it on here when they watch him waking up in his Hoopy the Huddlehound Jim jams.

neil7908
12-01-2018, 07:06 PM
I was quite happy for the winter break but if 7 pages on this are the result I hope it's not back next season!

Firestarter
12-01-2018, 07:08 PM

😂👍

Stokesy's on fire
12-01-2018, 07:12 PM
I was quite happy for the winter break but if 7 pages on this are the result I hope it's not back next season!

Snap i bet lennon had this gig lined up long before our friendly/training camp was confirmed.

mcohibs
12-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Are folk genuinely upset by this 😂? Utter nonsense. Neil Lennon's job is a football manager. Every decision he makes is done with his job in mind. If he felt that returning to an event for one night would impact how he performed in his job then he wouldn't have gone. Seems to me like he trusts his assistants to do exactly what they are employed to do. I'm confused as to why some of our supporters don't share this view.

JimBHibees
12-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Do people seriously think the players want to spend 5 days and nights in Portugal "bonding" with their manager?

The management team will withdraw from the players when the work's done and allow them to "bond" which is far more important. If the management were there all the time, that wouldn't happen to the same extent.

There may be an occasional set piece social event during the week, but not 24/7 "bonding" between Lennon and the team.

It would be a huge mistake for Lennon etc to be in the pockets of the squad all week.

So, Lennon's attendance at a Legends of Scotland event will have lost Hibs nothing.

Pretty much sums it up.

SirDavidsNapper
12-01-2018, 08:03 PM

In a nutshell

ekhibee
12-01-2018, 09:49 PM
I heard a rumour that he's on next year's Celebrity Big Brother.

Some folk are going to lose it on here when they watch him waking up in his Hoopy the Huddlehound Jim jams.
:greengrin :top marks

Forza Fred
12-01-2018, 11:54 PM
Can anyone advise whether he was back to view the entire game against the Dutch side?

I’ve looked for confirmation from on eye witness that he was, but can’t find it, other than comments that he was stuck in traffic.

So, simple yes/no question.

poolman
13-01-2018, 01:17 AM

Best post of the thread, some people really need to take a reality check

Dearie me, the team cannot go away for a few days without the bedwetters getting in a lather about SFA

Brizo
13-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Common sense view of the situation.

Unfortunately common sense seems to have gone out the window with that element of our support who have a particular agenda.

Heisenberg
13-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Can anyone advise whether he was back to view the entire game against the Dutch side?

I’ve looked for confirmation from on eye witness that he was, but can’t find it, other than comments that he was stuck in traffic.

So, simple yes/no question.

He was there when Gray went off injured and that was after something like 5-10 minutes I think? So I’m assuming he was there from the start. Looks like his wee trip to this function really didn’t have an impact at all.

mjhibby
13-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Common sense view of the situation.

Unfortunately common sense seems to have gone out the window with that element of our support who have a particular agenda.

My take exactly. Too much hyped indignation over the root of sod all. Grays injury is the biggest concern but apart from that don't see a lot to moan about. We should have more points but if we said we would be sitting now in fourth then I'm sure we would have been well pleased. Let's just concentrate on the next game. Not having any games to talk about let's a few imaginations run wild.

wookie70
13-01-2018, 09:35 AM
I just looked on the Legends of Football twitter site and the event was organised at least as early as July 17. The site (https://twitter.com/legendsoffooty)is very Celtc orientated considering its title. The training camp was obviously organised with this knowledge so everyone would have been aware of the plans. I still don't think it is ideal a manager leaving half way through a working week but am far more concerned that our captain is out possibly for the season.

Bostonhibby
13-01-2018, 12:15 PM
We'd have won that yesterday if Lennon had stayed out the way.