PDA

View Full Version : What makes Hibs special?

Northernhibee
11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Had a wee discussion with someone last night who's a St Johnstone fan - we all tend to think that our team has some sort of thing that makes them special above any other team.

If you bumped into someone who'd never watched football nor even knew of its existence, how would you describe Hibs and what would you point them to as to what makes the club special?

For me, I'd say the Famous Five, Pat Stanton, how Franck Sauzee found a final club to take to his heart even when he was winding up his career and a lot of Hands of Hibs and the strength of feeling towards the club and the battle to keep the club alive.

I'd also finish it off with 21st of May, but with lots of the background - even the 5-1 game, even the Malmo game, the relegation and how despite this the club found its feet again and found a way to fight on again.

DavidDavidGray
11-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Unpredictability. We could beat Real Madrid one week then lose at home to Clyde the next.

DarlingtonHibee
11-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Community, history, honour.

Brightside
11-01-2018, 10:37 AM
eticketing.co.uk

Gregor
11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Barry strip, 100% that. Way better than that manky "it ran in the wash" effort from across the other side of the city.

snooky
11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
We're still a 'grass roots' club. Although sometimes we don't, we are still regarded as a team that plays attractive football (this probably stems from the FF & TT eras).
There is certainly a charisma about the club that most players that come and go hook on to and they remain forever attached to Hibs in some way. (There have been a few exceptions however, they are few and far between - and the feeling is probably mutual :wink:).

I don't regard us as 'special' in the wide sense. Certainly special to me though.

offshorehibby
11-01-2018, 10:56 AM
They just are.

Jones28
11-01-2018, 10:58 AM
They just are.

This, and I bet supporters of every club in the country would say the same about their own club.

SirDavidsNapper
11-01-2018, 11:09 AM
The strip is second to none

yonder1875
11-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Leith.

WeeRussell
11-01-2018, 01:26 PM
We're not the old firm.
Nobody ever follows us for the glory.
We're not Hearts.
The Scottish Cup.

WeeRussell
11-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Oh.. and Hibs.net

lyonhibs
11-01-2018, 02:10 PM
They just are.

In a nutshell. All non OF fans in Scotland are the same in that respect more or less.

We certainly don't do it for the glory. Hibs are just my team, end of.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Nothing. To start seeing ourselves as exceptional is the road to ruin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deansy
11-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Beautiful (both in character and club-colours), sporting, entertaining, attack-minded/anti defensive-football, stylish, innovative, enterprising, daring, courageous, historical, honest/trust-worthy, caring/considerate, charitable (I.E we DON'T nick the money !) fun ......................

But most importantly, PROUD at being everything the Hun and the Jambos aren't !

calumhibee1
11-01-2018, 02:55 PM
21st May 2016. No team in world football has or ever will have a moment as special as that with the possible exceptions of Man City scoring with the last kick of the ball to win the league.

Vini1875
11-01-2018, 02:57 PM
For me it goes back to our origins. The struggle of Irish Catholic immigrants to band together and create a club to represent them. To join with the Leith poor and grow into a club which represents a larger community. A club which has fought for a long time to be established. A club that was almost killed and fought like a Rocky movie, beaten to a pulp but won and lifted a cup after all the struggles. The same with 21st of May, having been beaten time and again, but still managed to raise ourselves to overcome and win. Its entirely in keeping with the Persevere motto of Leith.

I think of us as the most romantic of clubs, like a Hollywood movie - struggle, adversity, circumstances against us and then triumph.

stu in nottingham
11-01-2018, 03:07 PM
For me it is simply due to the good and charitable reasons the club began.

That makes Hibernian FC very special indeed.

CallumLaidlaw
11-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Hibs are special to the fans, the players that have had the honour to wear the strip, and the staff that have been involved with the club. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Things that make us unique for me tho - Our beginnings, our strip, our anthem, our Scottish Cup Story. :flag:

hibs#1
11-01-2018, 03:29 PM
For me it goes back to our origins. The struggle of Irish Catholic immigrants to band together and create a club to represent them. To join with the Leith poor and grow into a club which represents a larger community. A club which has fought for a long time to be established. A club that was almost killed and fought like a Rocky movie, beaten to a pulp but won and lifted a cup after all the struggles. The same with 21st of May, having been beaten time and again, but still managed to raise ourselves to overcome and win. Its entirely in keeping with the Persevere motto of Leith.

I think of us as the most romantic of clubs, like a Hollywood movie - struggle, adversity, circumstances against us and then triumph.

This 10/10.

Also the fans are far better looking than any other Scottish teams.this is a cast iron fact.

Keith_M
11-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Everybody's team is special to them.

Fishwicke
11-01-2018, 03:58 PM
As previously stated. Our History.

eaststandJJ
11-01-2018, 04:01 PM
perseverance - a club which others have tried to shut down and close more than once over its history and continues to survive to represent its community, area, city and country. Consistently inconsistent, rarely glory hunters, and all the better for it when 150,000 cheered the cup winning side around the streets after long wait. Some dreams come true.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Our fans.

Long suffering but know how to show the correct level of exuberance when required

Show anyone the 2016 final footage of Sunshine on Leith - the emotion of that day cannot be met by any other set of supporters for any sport

:flag:

fulshie
11-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Its simply the love of football. Hibs are my team and I love the ups but I know I have to take the downs and that's what separates us from the two teams in the west. I love the fact we are not glory hunters and therefore when we do win a cup you feel like you have just conquered the world and there isn't many other feelings like it. Our history is a proud one with many stories to be told and those stories off the park mirror those on it, up and down but, that's what makes us a proud club.

IlDiavola
11-01-2018, 04:59 PM
We are not Hearts.

Close thread.

WeeRussell
11-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Beautiful (both in character and club-colours), sporting, entertaining, attack-minded/anti defensive-football, stylish, innovative, enterprising, daring, courageous, historical, honest/trust-worthy, caring/considerate, charitable (I.E we DON'T nick the money !) fun ......................

But most importantly, PROUD at being everything the Hun and the Jambos aren't !

... and Celtic :)

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Raw, pulsating, sexuality. We've all got it and it the only question is whether it comes from regular attendance at Easter Road, or whether we are drawn to this sexy club because we already have those goods. Discuss.

Jamesie
11-01-2018, 06:40 PM

This. And what makes it even better is that it gifts us a bohemian, outsider aura that it's simply impossible to buy. I'd much rather have that than spend my days bragging about being the "big team".

fat freddy
11-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Yer Hame teams yer ain team. Simple

SquashedFrogg
11-01-2018, 06:50 PM
For me it's almost impossible to explain. I recognise attraction with other clubs: glory hunting, inner racist/bigot, religion etc Don't get it but I understand it happens.

Hibernian have substance, soul, spirit. Very few teams I know have this...

I'd never question why people follow or support 'their' team... Each to their own and all that.

What I do know is that I'm lucky to have Hibs as my team...

I bloody love the buggers, regardless of how many times they scunner me

heidtheba
11-01-2018, 06:51 PM
To me they are special because I didn't like football and still don't care too much about it - but when I saw a Hibs match...that was different. That sense of having an ownership of something, a commitment (as I did at the time) was what made it special.
I only really found out about some of the details in our club's history last year and that start is one which I think the club has a real right to be proud of. The sectarianism experienced by members of the Irish community in Edinburgh, especially the Old Town was horrendous. The extreme poverty many of them faced too is something the like of which I could never imagine. The formation of Hibernian was a proactive and positive attempt to fight this. That's a lesson for today.
Ok, I'll say something else which is controversial here (and I'd love more info on it but I can't find it). Credit to Hearts for playing us first and breaking the SFA embargo. I don't know what their motives were BUT IF, IF, it was because they agreed with the stance we took, then that's a good thing and makes the Edinburgh derby very special. Even though it's 'them', I like to think that the motives were because it was the right thing.

wookie70
11-01-2018, 06:58 PM
We can certainly claim to be special because of our innovative nature - First to wear the green, Sponsorship, floodlights, European Football, Famous Five, undersoil heating, First British side to beat Real Madrid etc etc. Lot's of team can claim to be special but we can claim to be special and first at many things that still form the foundations of football.

SquashedFrogg
11-01-2018, 07:14 PM
We can certainly claim to be special because of our innovative nature - First to wear the green, Sponsorship, floodlights, European Football, Famous Five, undersoil heating, First British side to beat Real Madrid etc etc. Lot's of team can claim to be special but we can claim to be special and first at many things that still form the foundations of football.

To wear the green?

The Spaceman
11-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Would say we are the coolest club in Scotland. A bit out there on our own - proud of everything we are through thick and thin.

wookie70
11-01-2018, 07:46 PM
To wear the green? First club side to wear green strips

SquashedFrogg
11-01-2018, 07:53 PM
First club side to wear green strips

Good enough for me :) Stripes make me look slimmer....

Hoops make me look unwashed.

Eyrie
11-01-2018, 08:41 PM
If I was to nominate one thing that makes us stand out from other clubs, I'd nominate "Sunshine on Leith" being sung after winning a League or Scottish Cup.

It's not my taste in music, but it still gives me goose bumps.

Austinho
11-01-2018, 10:02 PM
• Sunshine on Leith is one of the greatest football anthems in Britain, if not the world. Bold statement? Just look at some of the comments from fans across the world absolutely gushing about it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4)
• Our completely distinct name, Hibernian dates back to 98 AD, well before the English language even began. The ancient Latin word for 'Ireland', it translates basically to 'the land of winter' – pretty apt for us to be fair. Far better than the Aberdeen's, Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.
• We were World Club Champions in 1887.
• One of the greatest players in football history, George Best played for us.
• One of the greatest managers in football history, Jock Stein managed us.
• We allegedly had a gypsy curse (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/major-league-baseball/top-10-sporting-curses-a7395266.html) placed on us when the harp symbol was removed from the main stand. Having not won the Scottish Cup for 114 years, we incredibly broke the hoodoo at the first attempt after reinstalling the harp on Easter Road in 2015-2016. Now that is about as special and unique as it comes.
• First British team to play in Europe.
• We’ve reached the semi final of the European Cup (now the Champions League) and the semi final of the Fairs Cup (now the Europa League).
• We’ve defeated both Barcelona and Real Madrid. In fact, we were the first ever British team to defeat Real.
• After trailing 4-1 away to Napoli in 1967, we knocked 5 past Dino Zoff at home to win on aggregate.
• The high and lows, the entertainment, the rollercoaster ride. Who else could let a 6-2 lead slip to draw 6-6, who else could beat both of the Old Firm in the cup only to lose to Livingston in the final? Who else could come back from 3-0 down at half time to win at Hampden in a semi final?
• Our fans banded together and saved our club from a hostile takeover from Wallace Mercer, the chairman of Hearts in the early 1990s, galvanising the club, and going on to win the League Cup shortly after.
• The great World Cup winning Brazil sides from the 1950-1970s took inspiration from our style of play at the time. We were even named several times in the Brazilian football encyclopedia. Source. (http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/the-famous-five/)

Not bad for a wee team is it.

Forza Fred
11-01-2018, 10:15 PM
I guess it’s just like what we thought of our Mums growing up as bairns.

Oors is the best, cos.......it just is.

The Spaceman
11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
• Sunshine on Leith is one of the greatest football anthems in Britain, if not the world. Bold statement? Just look at some of the comments from fans across the world absolutely gushing about it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4)
• Our completely distinct name, Hibernian dates back to 98 AD, well before the English language even began. The ancient Latin word for 'Ireland', it translates basically to 'the land of winter' – pretty apt for us to be fair. Far better than the Aberdeen's, Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.
• We were World Club Champions in 1887.
• One of the greatest players in football history, George Best played for us.
• One of the greatest managers in football history, Jock Stein managed us.
• We allegedly had a gypsy curse (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/major-league-baseball/top-10-sporting-curses-a7395266.html) placed on us when the harp symbol was removed from the main stand. Having not won the Scottish Cup for 114 years, we incredibly broke the hoodoo at the first attempt after reinstalling the harp on Easter Road in 2015-2016. Now that is about as special and unique as it comes.
• First British team to play in Europe.
• We’ve reached the semi final of the European Cup (now the Champions League) and the semi final of the Fairs Cup (now the Europa League).
• We’ve defeated both Barcelona and Real Madrid. In fact, we were the first ever British team to defeat Real.
• After trailing 4-1 away to Napoli in 1967, we knocked 5 past Dino Zoff at home to win on aggregate.
• The high and lows, the entertainment, the rollercoaster ride. Who else could let a 6-2 lead slip to draw 6-6, who else could beat both of the Old Firm in the cup only to lose to Livingston in the final? Who else could come back from 3-0 down at half time to win at Hampden in a semi final?
• Our fans banded together and saved our club from a hostile takeover from Wallace Mercer, the chairman of Hearts in the early 1990s, galvanising the club, and going on to win the League Cup shortly after.
• The great World Cup winning Brazil sides from the 1950-1970s took inspiration from our style of play at the time. We were even named several times in the Brazilian football encyclopedia. Source. (http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/the-famous-five/)

Not bad for a wee team is it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
11-01-2018, 11:33 PM
In 1875, our wonderful Club was formed to help those less fortunate integrate with the local community. Fast forward to 2018, and our amazing fans now generously donate so young people can join our family. And when I say donate, I mean to the tune of over £60,000! Now, that's special :agree: :not worth

NAE NOOKIE
11-01-2018, 11:50 PM
In 1875, our wonderful Club was formed to help those less fortunate integrate with the local community. Fast forward to 2018, and our amazing fans now generously donate so young people can join our family. And when I say donate, I mean to the tune of over £60,000! Now, that's special :agree: :not worth

:top marks

I would also chuck the Dnipro charity into that mix. Even though it wasn't a club initiative its conception by Hibs supporters was in the finest traditions of what we all hope this club stands for, they should be proud of what they have done, I'm sure the club is and I know as a Hibs supporter I am.

FranckSuzy
12-01-2018, 12:01 AM
:top marks

I would also chuck the Dnipro charity into that mix. Even though it wasn't a club initiative its conception by Hibs supporters was in the finest traditions of what we all hope this club stands for, they should be proud of what they have done, I'm sure the club is and I know as a Hibs supporter I am.

Absolutely :agree::thumbsup:

GreenLake
12-01-2018, 12:07 AM
When you travel in distant lands, people love to see the beautiful green Hibs jerseys. Yams, in their jerseys look like a member of the crowd.

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Everybody thinks their own club is special and so they should, but we all know that anyway.

We do have a number of items on our CV which set us apart from loads of run of the mill clubs and I don't think there are many cooler clubs to support. Without a doubt our strip is one of the best in football, a sport absolutely awash with red and blue club strips, so just the fact that it isn't sets it apart and without a doubt we have one of the best anthems in football, made all the more distinctive in that nowhere does it mention the club.

But probably what sets us apart more than anything isn't the successes, its the bloody failures and not only that but the nature of them, no run of the mill pumping out in the early rounds for this club, no we go all the way and then crash n' burn . I have been to 11 cup finals since 1979 and seen us win 3 ..... is there a team anywhere in world football that gets so close all the time and then fails its fans. Hell we even managed to get relegated from a position where it seemed nigh on impossible.

In the words of Ian Crocker during the cup final ..... "Oh to be a Hibs fan, what they put you through" :greengrin

Wouldn't change it for the bloody world :thumbsup:

Austinho
12-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Also the fans are far better looking than any other Scottish teams.this is a cast iron fact.Correct. Seems to be the majority concensus on Pie and Bovril (http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245603-most-beautifullest-spfl-fans/&page=5) that we have the best looking fans in the league too.

As pointed out, the old Sky Sports SPL intro (https://youtu.be/Zl9Jpzcvm2A) sums it up well.

ajf
12-01-2018, 06:26 AM
They were just my local team , luckily for me :agree:

Bill Milne
12-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Down to family for me, pure and simple. My gran stayed at Lochend Drive so my dad and the rest of the family followed the local team, never a problem for me in following this tradition!! Mind you, my dad did say that, as Leithers from Smith's Land in the Old Kirkgate, the first preference for my grandparents was Leith Athletic. I always did wonder what might have happened if Athletic hadn't folded when they did, an awful lot of Leith Hibbies (and Yams!) may have found themselves in the same boat.