PDA

View Full Version : How can we improve ticketing for high demand games?

Diclonius
10-01-2018, 03:01 PM
After yet another afternoon of ticketing fun it's clear there is clamour for another rethink. So, how do you think Hibs should treat the issue? I've tried to include all options mentioned.

danhibees1875
10-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I think loyalty points are fair. But given the resistance and the removal of one of the season ticket perks arguement (debatable) then a random ballot would be better than today.

If my name doesn't get drawn, fine. If it does, good. Either way - hours aren't spent watching circles change colour by anyone.

SRHibs
10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Do I get extra loyalty points from traveling from NCL for every game? If so I’m in.

Ballot as mentioned above would be best.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Reintroduce points but simplify it, call it ticket points or attendance points. No points for going to Hearts,Rangers or Celtic away. Only get points the less attractive games, motherwell, dundee away et al.

Since90+2
10-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Loyalty points will not be brought back as confirmed by the CEO a few weeks ago so its pointless voting for something that aint gonna happen. The last option listed is already the system in place as you can only get 1 ticket per client reference.

For games when demand will be far higher than supply then a ballot is the fairest and simplest way to allocate tickets.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Ballot system please, for season ticket holders who fund the club.

lucky
10-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Reintroduce points but simplify it, call it ticket points or attendance points. No points for going to Hearts,Rangers or Celtic away. Only get points the less attractive games, motherwell, dundee away et al.

It should be points for all games. At the start of next season every ST holder starts on 38. Then a point for every away game. Non ST get allocated 2 points per Home game. The system should be a rolling one with intital scheme running 3 years then subsequently a year drops off as each new season begins. If there’s an administration cost to the scheme then fans should be charged a fiver a season to join the scheme. There will still be a scramble for tickets but it was ease off as the season progresses

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Reintroduce the points system but change it in some way.

1. Do away with the word LOYALTY and call it something else, and catchier. Name it something like the Mike McGhee Travel Incentive after a man who was beyond resource when it came to following Hibs.
2. Forget all about bonus points for HSL and suchlike. Bad feeling and wholly unnecessary.
3. The historical points are still on the Database. Use these as a basis for a start line for 2018/19. A tier system can apply. It worked before.
4. Essentially. Look after those Season ticket holders that travel regularly. Dundee on a Wednesday night should be a couple of points more than Tynie for example.

Alternatively, reintroduce a robust Away ST scheme, but give the members a short cooling off period to decline their ticket if they choose. Even zealots go on holiday. If we had something like that, I'd be happy for the Admin cost to be built into my regular Season Ticket purchase renewal.
I'm ****ed if I'm being blackmailed into buying two unwanted tickets for say, Dingwall, if I'm roasting my nuts off in Cyprus or somewhere at the time.

Tornadoes70
10-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Ballot system please, for season ticket holders who fund the club.

Season ticket holders must always take priority and if a ballot system is the fairest way when the demand outweighs supply then so be it. Its very probably fairest and less bureaucratic than other totting up systems which can sometimes fuel resentment among those just missing out.

Hibee87
10-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Is a ballot system any different to whats in place now?

With a ballot you will end up with people moaning about not being next to friends, having to go on their own etc What about concessions? You want to take your son or daughter to a game, how would it work so you are together as you cant have kids sitting on their own next to strangers.

Making it a ballot where you have to sign up and say you want x amount of tickets with the correct client refs tied to them and saying you want them as group, fair enough, but is it any better than the current phone option? You are still going to have the same people who might go to most of the away games moaning its unfair they missed out and they should be in the ballot before the other season ticket holders who dont go to away games. You cant please everyone and when you have around 10k+ trying for 3.6k tickets your going to have people who will miss out.

I understand its disappointing missing out on a derby ticket, ive been there myself in the past, but imo Hibs cant win whichever way its done.

SteveHFC
10-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Bringing back points is the way to go but it won’t happen.

CMurdoch
10-01-2018, 03:42 PM

With a ballot you will end up with people moaning about not being next to friends, having to go on their own etc What about concessions? You want to take your son or daughter to a game, how would it work so you are together as you cant have kids sitting on their own next to strangers.

Making it a ballot where you have to sign up and say you want x amount of tickets with the correct client refs tied to them and saying you want them as group, fair enough, but is it any better than the current phone option? You are still going to have the same people who might go to most of the away games moaning its unfair they missed out and they should be in the ballot before the other season ticket holders who dont go to away games. You cant please everyone and when you have around 10k+ trying for 3.6k tickets your going to have people who will miss out.

I understand its disappointing missing out on a derby ticket, i've been there myself in the past, but imo Hibs cant win whichever way its done.

Demand outstrips supply massively = folk moaning whatever the system if they don't get a ticket
I would have wanted a simple scheme to ensure those that have season tickets and go to most of the less sexy away games got first dibs at tickets (not me) but this ain't happenin' in the short term.

Most importantly, is this game on TV?

Vini1875
10-01-2018, 03:43 PM
There is no system where all the Hibs supporters who want away tickets for hearts, celtc and huns are going to get one. The present system is to all intents and purposes a lottery/ballot. Loyalty points is a non starter. If someone really wants to get to the games at hearts, celtc and huns then there are always tickets in home end, not ideal granted, but no system is going to suit all.

I actually think the present system with away ST is the best we have had.

Bizarrely most have voted loyalty points (not happening), but change it in some way. That is about as vague an option as it is possible to get out side of make America great again.

bigwheel
10-01-2018, 03:43 PM
The reality is that high demand games away from home will result in many fans disappointed.

We can either go with a principle of those who go to most games get first dibs (loyalty scheme). Or we go with Approach that gives ST holders equal opportunity..if the latter stays I feel we should move to ballot system.

It’s only through increasing crowds that this is becoming a big thing. It wasn’t that long ago with Hearts away would go to public sale...

NeilT
10-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Get an online ticketing system that is logical and understandable.

The current system is unpredictable, illogical and therefore unfair. (And, Yes, I didn't get any tickets this time)

Aim Here
10-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Right, a ballot doesn't fix the perceived unfairness of loyal fans missing out, but it IS a fix for the ridiculous virtual queueing and and staring at grey circles and hammering websites and phonelines for two hours. An explicit ballot has the same results as the current system except that people would have a reasonable time window to get their tickets and it's less strain for both buyers and sellers.

DH1875
10-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I'd keep things as they are but IF they did bring back a loyalty system then they'd have to forget about awarding points for any cup finals and rangers, hearts and celtic away. The whole rich getting richer was a major flaw in the last system and this would be an easy way around it.

Also, while it sucked being in poor crowds at these grounds and more often than not we got humped, I had some great times and have some fantastic memories that will stay with me forever. Times move on though and while I sympathise with some, the fact I was at Tynecastle 10 years ago really should have no bearing on weither I get a ticket this time around or not.

DH1875
10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Also, out of interest. Do any of the other clubs in the league offer an away season ticket to fans?

Hermit Crab
10-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Also, out of interest. Do any of the other clubs in the league offer an away season ticket to fans?

Rangers do a similar system to ours, a rolling credit card scheme or something where the money gets deducted like our AST.

Hearts did an away season ticket about 10 years ago. Exactly the same as we do it now, that got binned in favour of a LP system IIRC.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
I'd keep things as they are but IF they did bring back a loyalty system then they'd have to forget about awarding points for any cup finals and rangers, hearts and celtic away. The whole rich getting richer was a major flaw in the last system and this would be an easy way around it.

Also, while it sucked being in poor crowds at these grounds and more often than not we got humped, I had some great times and have some fantastic memories that will stay with me forever. Times move on though and while I sympathise with some, the fact I was at Tynecastle 10 years ago really should have no bearing on weither I get a ticket this time around or not.

Yes, I agree, the last LP system was flawed due to that, as a max point holder last time I'd have no issue with zero points getting issued for those games but use points for ticket selling for those games.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Hmmm, a loyalty scheme that doesnae cover every match, interesting.

Oscar T Grouch
10-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Loyalty points based on games attended, no extra points for anything else. If you support the team home and away you should get first go at tickets for tiny, hunbox and smeltic park after away ST holders. I used to be first tranche for all games with the LP system, I just cannot get a ticket for these three venues now. I cannot afford an AST and I feel like I am being punished for being poor. I do go to away games, but when I have money, I could not commit to a system that takes money out my account in the last week of the month, as there's nowt in it by then :greengrin

DH1875
10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Hmmm, a loyalty scheme that doesnae cover every match, interesting.

I know but its a simple, easy answer to what was/is a major flaw with last loyalty point system.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2018, 04:17 PM
I know but its a simple, easy answer to what was/is a major flaw with last loyalty point system.

Its not a flaw its how a loyalty system works.

marinello59
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
I think the obvious way to solve this problem and stop all the ticketing moans is for the team to return to being total pish.
Sort it out Dempster. :grr:

wookie70
10-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Short of making fans square go for tickets I doubt the club could do worse than what is currently in place. The loyalty scheme wasn't far off being a good system and needed tweaked not abandoned. The HSL decision is why I voted for a loyalty system but change it.
I have been lucky and managed to get a ticket for every game I have wanted to go to so have not been disadvantaged apart from the ludicrous amount of time I have wasted.
A loyalty scheme for me needs to be over a modest time period, rolling 2 years would be my suggestion. A single point for every game that goes to a general sale, home or away. None for games at Tiny, Ibrox etc so the rich don't get richer. Points start at zero in the middle of a season where we have a run of away games that will be a general sales.
At that point every single supporter can make a choice on whether they want to make the effort to get the reward.

When selling tickets use tranches that include as many supporters, with enough points, as we have tickets to allow best chance of families and friends sitting together. Remaining tickets to be sold as today to those on the highest number of points under the threshold.

If you are a season ticket holder who doesn't want to attend any games apart from Tiny then man up and accept there are fans who deserve a ticket more or make the decision to support the team away from home more often to guarantee a ticket.

Send a letter to all season ticket holders when they buy them saying that at no point will points be awarded retrospectively and you will be ignored if you ask at the TO. If you abuse TO staff you are not welcome at ER

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 04:23 PM
The reality is that high demand games away from home will result in many fans disappointed.

We can either go with a principle of those who go to most games get first dibs (loyalty scheme). Or we go with Approach that gives ST holders equal opportunity..if the latter stays I feel we should move to ballot system.

It’s only through increasing crowds that this is becoming a big thing. It wasn’t that long ago with Hearts away would go to public sale...

Disappoint the 11, 000 or so ST holders that don't go to Firhill, or Dens, or Perth. Not the 1,000 or so that do. Nutshell for me.

Stuart93
10-01-2018, 04:26 PM
I wish hibs were ***** again, there would be no scramble for tickets

marinello59
10-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Disappoint the 11, 000 or so ST holders that don't go to Firhill, or Dens, or Perth. Not the 1,000 or so that do. Nutshell for me.

OR.....Disappoint the 11000 who pay our club a large amount of money upfront every season and cater to the few fans who were lucky enough to have the time and money to boost our rivals coffers at Firhill etc. There's two ways to look at everything. :wink:

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 04:33 PM
OR.....Disappoint the 11000 who pay our club a large amount of money upfront every season and cater to the few fans who were lucky enough to have the time and money to boost our rivals coffers at Firhill etc. There's two ways to look at everything. :wink:

No. Let's have 11.000 fans wanting to see every away game instead. What do you reckon? Not one fan who travels to any away game does it to boost the rival. Jeez, I thought you were an Admin here? Sounds like you're stirring........

cabbageandribs1875
10-01-2018, 04:37 PM
I wish hibs were ***** again, there would be no scramble for tickets

and THEN a loyalty scheme would magically appear again :agree:

marinello59
10-01-2018, 04:40 PM
No. Let's have 11.000 fans wanting to see every away game instead. What do you reckon? Not one fan who travels to any away game does it to boost the rival. Jeez, I thought you were an Admin here? Sounds like you're stirring........

Eh? I'm not so sure that pointing out that there is two sides to every argument is stirring. Maybe if you recognised that you could make a more measured argument to win people over to your way of thinking.
Or don't you think that removing ST holders right to a chance of away tickets is not without problems?

Hiber-nation
10-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Who's to say people who regularly travel to away games have plenty time and money compared to those who choose not to? Boosting rivals' coffers? That's just silly I'm afraid.

SteveHFC
10-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Agree but would add 12.30 kick offs in aberdeen

dangermouse
10-01-2018, 04:43 PM
I voted for a loyalty points (changed) system but would also support an amended AST system that lets you cancel tickets you do not need. I'd put a limit on the number of games you can cancel in a season (say maximum of 3 or 4) to discourage fans joining who are only looking for category A game away tickets.

An attendance or game points system would be for attending games only.

DH1875
10-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Its not a flaw its how a loyalty system works.

It's a flaw and here is why: 2 guys start the season on the same amount of points and they both go to all the away games and then hearts away comes up. Both guys apply for a ticket but only one of them is lucky enough to get one. On top of getting lucky he now has say 10 more points than the other guy who through no fault of his own has missed out. Say this continues through out the season and we get rangers or hearts away in the cup, the guy could easily rack up 60 to 70 points ahead buy the end of the season so, how is that fair?

Also, by stopping awarding points for these games there's less chance of someone who cant make the game buying a ticket for the points and giving the ticket to a mate or family member who's got little or no points.

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Eh? I'm not so sure that pointing out that there is two sides to every argument is stirring. Maybe if you recognised that you could make a more measured argument to win people over to your way of thinking.
Or don't you think that removing ST holders right to a chance of away tickets is not without problems?

Removing their chances of getting tickets for where exactly? Tell me the games in question.

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Who's to say people who regularly travel to away games have plenty time and money compared to those who choose not to? Boosting rivals' coffers? That's just silly I'm afraid.

Isn't it just? Reasoned argument apparently.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Agree but would add 12.30 kick offs in aberdeen

Of course!

marinello59
10-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Removing their chances of getting tickets for where exactly? Tell me the games in question.

Eh?
Removing their chance to get a ticket to all away games. But you knew that.

marinello59
10-01-2018, 06:09 PM

I agree, it is a bit silly. Like I said, I was playing devils advocate.

Hibs90
10-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Problem with a ballot is what if a kid and parent are split up, or say the kid gets drawn from the ballot but the parent not. I dunno if that would be an easy fix or not but loyalty points are the fairest way and were previously.

B.H.F.C
10-01-2018, 06:12 PM
The obvious way is one that will never happen - loyalty points.

I go every single week so as long as the away season ticket is retained I'm not overly fussed what happens with the remaining tickets.

Everybody will, selfishly, see it from their own point of view and in a way that suits them. For me, I just think that it's only fair that those who attend every week retain some form of priority.

hibbyfraelibby
10-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Nothing wrong with our away game ticketing arrangements. We sell on behalf of the away club from our database not on our own.

You can pay up to join the ASTH scheme the current system works. Every one has an equal chance, no-one is too special not to enter the general sale other than.on an equal standing.

If you havent got a ticket that is just tough there are not enough available so pick up your dummies and gather up your toys and put them back in the pram and go watch the game on the telly.

Incoming!👿

Seveno
10-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Fit every seat with some form of Clapometer. You gets points every time you cheer and deducted if you boo. Extra points deducted if you boo Lewis.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Nothing wrong with our away game ticketing arrangements. We sell on behalf of the away club from our database not on our own.

Unless you pay up to join the ASTH scheme the current system works. Every one has an equal chance, no-one is too special not to enter the general sale other than.on an equal standing.

If you havent got a ticket that is just tough thete ate not enough available so pick up your dummies and gather up your toys and put them back in the pram and go watch the game on the telly.

Incoming!👿

Complete rubbish, the current system ignores fans who make 80%-90% of away games and gives them the same chance as a Johnny come lately who hasn't been to an away game this season, fair?:dunno:

This is a common misconception, there is no (upfront) cost to join the AST scheme, the money for your ticket is debited from your bank account roughly 48hrs before they go on sale, you are however obliged to purchase a ticket for every league and cup match where tickets are sold in advance! No exceptions.

That last part. Deliberate baiting.:tsk tsk:

fife hfc
10-01-2018, 06:32 PM

But today fans were boosting the coffers of our local rivals, not our own club.

marinello59
10-01-2018, 06:38 PM
But today fans were boosting the coffers of our local rivals, not our own club.

The point I was making ( badly obviously :greengrin ) was that you can’t simply dismiss the many ST holders who don’t travel regularly but do spend a lot of money at Hibs as the poster I was responding to did.

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Eh?
Removing their chance to get a ticket to all away games. But you knew that.

That's twice now with the eh? Thats not the measured response you look for is it? I find it a wee but ignorant.

No one will have the opportunity for a ticket to all away games removed and you know that.
Other than three league venues, tickets will always result in open sale. You know that too.

Call your response as 'the playing of devils advocate' all you like. Its stirring to me, as I suggested a while back.

marinello59
10-01-2018, 06:42 PM
That's twice now with the eh? Thats not the measured response you look for is it? I find it a wee but ignorant.

No one will have the opportunity for a ticket to all away games removed and you know that.
Other than three league venues, tickets will always result in open sale. You know that too.

Call your response as 'the playing of devils advocate' all you like. Its stirring to me, as I suggested a while back.

You seem determined to make this personal. No need really.
Just ignore my posts from now on. Most people do anyway to be fair. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2018, 06:44 PM
But today fans were boosting the coffers of our local rivals, not our own club.We share the gate [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
10-01-2018, 06:46 PM
You seem determined to make this personal. No need really.
Just ignore my posts from now on. Most people do anyway to be fair. :greengrin

I was lured into thinking you wanted a reasoned debate? Never mind.

WhileTheChief..
10-01-2018, 06:47 PM
the current system ignores fans who make 80%-90% of away games and gives them the same chance as a Johnny come lately who hasn't been to an away game this season, fair?:dunno:

That’s a fair point and is clearly one side of the argument.

From the other side though, what about the 80 year old that’s been going to ER since he was a kid who now fancies going to Tynie as a one off? A loyalty points system means he’s got no chance. Fair?

All I’m saying, along with some others, is that there are two very different, but equally valid, ways of looking at it.

10-01-2018, 10:21 PM
This is to enhance the ticketing system. Simply reintroduce points scheme for attendance at home/away matches for tickets pre purchased form Easter Road Ticket Office or on the Ticketing System (call centre or online). No points for tickets bought from pods or on the gate at away games.Would also have no issue keeping the away season tickets (I don't have one!) and for these people the points would be awarded automatically. Forget points for other things (HSL, etc), this is about attendance at matches and in return being rewarded with points that will put you in an order that means when the scares tickets go on sale your in an order.

Bill Milne
11-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Some may not accept this but modelling a new loyalty points system on the one used by the Yams would actually be desirable!!

Hermit Crab
11-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Some may not accept this but modelling a new loyalty points system on the one used by the Yams would actually be desirable!!

I've mentioned this many times Billy. It works for them no bother and they have an away support about on par with us.