PDA

View Full Version : Hibs article in Guardian European Cup 1955

Scorrie
08-01-2018, 12:41 PM
www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/08/hibernian-british-team-european-cup-hibs

Sorry can’t post link directly but found this article just issued in today’s Guardian. Interesting read

Peevemor
08-01-2018, 12:45 PM
www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/08/hibernian-british-team-european-cup-hibs

Sorry can’t post link directly but found this article just issued in today’s Guardian. Interesting read

Brilliant photo at ER that I haven't seen before.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/f7a09dfd8bb8b2a8b231099f4b031ae6ed6fe36a/0_179_5141_3085/master/5141.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

linlithgowhibbie
08-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Really good article and photos. Thanks for finding it and sharing:thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
08-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Great to read about Hibs in that way in a UK wide publication. Unfortunately most folk in the rest of the UK won't know much about our colourful history. The more people who get to know about us the better

Colr
08-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Excellent article. Link below should work.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/08/hibernian-british-team-european-cup-hibs

MartinfaePorty
08-01-2018, 01:00 PM
It's funny, but the 1st thing the Dons fan sitting next to me said when he read this article was 'did Hibs not do something underhand to get in the competition?'. I have to say, I have heard the conspiracy theories before, usually from Hearts fans, but this article seems more plausible.

CMurdoch
08-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Thanks for sharing

weecounty hibby
08-01-2018, 01:02 PM
It's funny, but the 1st thing the Dons fan sitting next to me said when he read this article was 'did Hibs not do something underhand to get in the competition?'. I have to say, I have heard the conspiracy theories before, usually from Hearts fans, but this article seems more plausible.
Tell him it was due to the tight fistedness of Aberdonians that Hibs were invited. I'm sure he'll understand:-)

jacomo
08-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Nothing underhand about it. Just a reputation for good football and the stupidity of others.

Of course many other UK clubs have done more in European competition than us. But none of them can claim to have been first.

IGRIGI
08-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Aberdeen stuck in the past and refusing to accept new technology?

Somethings never change :greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Great article, thanks for the link.

Kato
08-01-2018, 01:55 PM

There are glaring errors in the article. You'll notice there is no evidence (quotes) re-Aberdeen getting an invite as Scottish Champions. that's because when the invites were announced it was mid season and Aberdeen were sitting second in the League to Celtic. Also there was no requirement to have floodlights. Not all the teams invited had them and Hibs, who did, played some of the mid-week games in the afternoon.

Hibs had featured heavily in L'Quipe in the years leading up to the tourney due to their friendly European adventures and were the only Scottish club to receive an invite. The "Politics" Hugh Shaw refers to were those whipped up by the Scottish press who felt Rangers or Celtic should have been invited and were simply peeved that they hadn't.

JimBHibees
08-01-2018, 03:18 PM
What a tremendous article that is. Thanks for sharing.

hibby6270
08-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Enjoyed reading the article.
A piece of our rich history that makes Hibs the club we are all proud to support.

The Pointer
08-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for posting and love the photo of the two players at night obviously using a hu*****us flash.

Reminds me of the dark nights at ER where you could see the pitch but hardly see the steps.

The Pointer
08-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Interesting - I didn't know 'h u m o n g o u s' was considered a sweary. Weird.

Iggy Pope
08-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Thanks for posting and love the photo of the two players at night obviously using a hu*****us flash.

Reminds me of the dark nights at ER where you could see the pitch but hardly see the steps.

Auto censor goes mental! Cant wait until those Hearts ****s get S****horpe in the Anglo Scottish.

s.a.m
08-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Interesting - I didn't know 'h u m o n g o u s' was considered a sweary. Weird.

You need to take the h, u and s off. It thinks you're trying to conceal a derogatory, discriminatory term. It's a bit like S****horpe.:greengrin

s.a.m
08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Auto censor goes mental! Cant wait until those Hearts ****s get S****horpe in the Anglo Scottish.

:greengrin Beat me to it.

hibby6270
08-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Word can be spelled 2 ways.
Use humungous and you’d be fine. Think your original spelling was the American version and also what it defaults to on spell check. Damn you technology!!:greengrin

The Pointer
08-01-2018, 04:22 PM
One of my pet hates is American spelling as well!

Reminds me of the old one when I was at school, 'If Typhoo put the 'T' in Britain, who put the 'S' in S****horpe?'

ancient hibee
08-01-2018, 05:56 PM
My favourite quote of the time was from “Celtic football visionary”Bob Kelly.”There is no future in European competitions and our fans will never turn out in Scotland to watch football under floodlights.”

neil7908
08-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Great read. Always nice for the club to get some exposure.

Jonnyboy
08-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Enjoyed that and was delighted to see Mass Hibsteria getting a mention :greengrin

weecounty hibby
08-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Enjoyed that and was delighted to see Mass Hibsteria getting a mention :greengrin

Was funny to see it being used as a reference point. I remember buying it regularly back in the day. Probably still have some in the loft

Nakedmanoncrack
08-01-2018, 10:39 PM
There are glaring errors in the article. You'll notice there is no evidence (quotes) re-Aberdeen getting an invite as Scottish Champions. that's because when the invites were announced it was mid season and Aberdeen were sitting second in the League to Celtic. Also there was no requirement to have floodlights. Not all the teams invited had them and Hibs, who did, played some of the mid-week games in the afternoon.

Hibs had featured heavily in L'Quipe in the years leading up to the tourney due to their friendly European adventures and were the only Scottish club to receive an invite. The "Politics" Hugh Shaw refers to were those whipped up by the Scottish press who felt Rangers or Celtic should have been invited and were simply peeved that they hadn't.

''Celtic, Rangers and Hearts had finished second, third and fourth in the league, respectively, but in the era before TV revenues, none of those clubs wanted to compete in the first European Cup. “

This reads like they were offered the opportunity and declined, that's certainly not a version that I'm familiar with.

ancient hibee
08-01-2018, 10:56 PM
That’s how it reads but I’m not sure if that’s how it’s meant.Rangers and Celtic opposed the idea after it was announced that Hibs were doing it.Swan had too much clout for the SFA to try and stop it.Hearts were never in the running,they had no record of regular European jaunts.

Bill Milne
09-01-2018, 10:38 AM

My understanding has always been that Chelsea and Aberdeen, the respective champions of Ingerlund and Scotland, refused their invitations and Hibs, as a very well known club in Continental terms, were invited to take part, accepting with alacrity!!

erin go bragh
09-01-2018, 11:23 AM
It must be horrible for any of our pink neighbors looking in . To have never dined at the top table of European football( Semi final of European cup) :na na:

Crazyhorse
09-01-2018, 12:12 PM
My favourite quote of the time was from “Celtic football visionary”Bob Kelly.”There is no future in European competitions and our fans will never turn out in Scotland to watch football under floodlights.”

That is a cracker!

Curried
09-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Sensational read, but it's kind-of-strange how we've managed to wander off on a different road since the 50's :-(

Kato
09-01-2018, 05:28 PM
''Celtic, Rangers and Hearts had finished second, third and fourth in the league, respectively, but in the era before TV revenues, none of those clubs wanted to compete in the first European Cup. “

This reads like they were offered the opportunity and declined, that's certainly not a version that I'm familiar with.

Here is the first mention of Hibs being invited.

This follow up article (Daily Record) mentioning that those at Tynecastle, Aberdeen, Parkhead, Ibrox and Lanarkshire won't be best pleased that Chelsea and Hibs are the only British teams invited.

If Aberdeen/Rangers/Celtic/Hearts were invited why the fuss?

Pretty good quote from George Graham in the next article - "When the scheme for the competition was first put up unofficially, Hibernian were among 16 clubs invited to play in it. Now that the championship is official we expect Hibernian will be allowed to play at least for this year, though necessarily next year."

No mention of L'Quipe going round the other clubs before settlling on Hibs. The series of events run like this: L'Quipe announced the Championship, FIFA stepped in and said the tourney was unofficial and said the EFA (eufa) should run it, FIFA decided they themselves would run it for the first year and the invites were sent out again and Hibs were invited by FIFA too. Hibs actually received two invites, one from L'Quipe and one from FIFA.

Report of the second meeting during which FIFA made the tourney official ratifying Hibs inclusion.

The Guardian article seems to be making things up for the sake of it.

Some match reports from the first tie.

You'll might notice that there is no mention floodlights being a requirement for entry. As I said above Hibs didn't play all their games under lights and some of the clubs invited didn't have them.

I reckon some journos get mixed up with the Floodlight League which was played (unofficially) in exactly the same season as the inaugural European Cup.

Kato
09-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Report from the Hibs (5) v Man Utd (0) game in the unofficial Floodlight League.

EricM
09-01-2018, 05:42 PM

I had the same today actually, turns out that Dons fans believe a different version of events as it's posted on the official Aberdeen site:

http://data.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7983.php

Kato
09-01-2018, 05:54 PM
I had the same today actually, turns out that Dons fans believe a different version of events as it's posted on the official Aberdeen site:

http://data.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7983.php

Swan wasn't at the meeting in Paris held by L'Quipe nor was he at the second meeting in Paris when FIFA ratified Hibs involvement. George Graham was at the second meeting. EUFA (at the time the EFA) were barley involved at all.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Here is the first mention of Hibs being invited.

This follow up article (Daily Record) mentioning that those at Tynecastle, Aberdeen, Parkhead, Ibrox and Lanarkshire won't be best pleased that Chelsea and Hibs are the only British teams invited.

If Aberdeen/Rangers/Celtic/Hearts were invited why the fuss?

Pretty good quote from George Graham in the next article - "When the scheme for the competition was first put up unofficially, Hibernian were among 16 clubs invited to play in it. Now that the championship is official we expect Hibernian will be allowed to play at least for this year, though necessarily next year."

No mention of L'Quipe going round the other clubs before settlling on Hibs. The series of events run like this: L'Quipe announced the Championship, FIFA stepped in and said the tourney was unofficial and said the EFA (eufa) should run it, FIFA decided they themselves would run it for the first year and the invites were sent out again and Hibs were invited by FIFA too. Hibs actually received two invites, one from L'Quipe and one from FIFA.

Report of the second meeting during which FIFA made the tourney official ratifying Hibs inclusion.

The Guardian article seems to be making things up for the sake of it.

Some match reports from the first tie.

You'll might notice that there is no mention floodlights being a requirement for entry. As I said above Hibs didn't play all their games under lights and some of the clubs invited didn't have them.

I reckon some journos get mixed up with the Floodlight League which was played (unofficially) in exactly the same season as the inaugural European Cup.

Some good reading there, and it's in line with my understanding - Hibs were invited as the club with the appropriate European profile, pedigree and stature.

ancient hibee
10-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Some good reading there, and it's in line with my understanding - Hibs were invited as the club with the appropriate European profile, pedigree and stature.

And lived up to it.

ACLeith
10-01-2018, 10:18 PM
There were some Essen fans at the Ross County game a few weeks ago. We spoke to them briefly in the concourse after the game. They said that they come across because of the original link isith us from that season.

Superb that this connection has continued across the generations, especially as we gubbed them 😀