PDA

View Full Version : Forest v Arsenal

hibbie02
07-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Looks like Forest are coping quite well without Cummings. He needs to cum home! :agree:

Hibs90
07-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Arsenal haven't half been screwed over by **** refereeing the past few games.

Michael
07-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Penalty shouldn't have counted because there was a double touch. You can see the ball change direction in the replay.

yonder1875
07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Arsenal haven't half been screwed over by **** refereeing the past few games.

4 pens in the last week against them and only one was a legit penalty.

cleanyman
07-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Woeful atmosphere

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Penalty shouldn't have counted because there was a double touch. You can see the ball change direction in the replay.

No you can't.

greenlex
07-01-2018, 05:57 PM
No you can't.

Yes you can.

Unseen work
07-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Nottingham Forrest were fantastic

Not a penalty and it was a double touch imo.

However, can’t blame the ref as with multiple replays a lot of people have varying opinions.

CMac1988
07-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Can't blame the ref for not seeing that... He slips as he's shooting and he hits it off his right foot. Was definitely a penalty for me though. He did get a touch but had wrapped his right leg around his opponents before hand.

Scouse Hibee
Yes you can.

No you're imagining it, one touch only, ball never changed direction, correct decision. Get yersel to Specsavers 😉

Michael
No you can't.

You definitely can. I watched it like 10 times on Sky+ to be sure.

Blaster
07-01-2018, 06:01 PM
No you're imagining it, one touch only, ball never changed direction, correct decision. Get yersel to Specsavers 😉

I thought it was a double touch but hard to tell. I just thought the spin on the ball could only have came from another touch

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2018, 06:02 PM
You definitely can. I watched it like 10 times on Sky+ to be sure.

So did I and you can't.

tamig

You can clearly see the ball deflect off his right making it spin the other way. And that’s just with a couple of replays.

Scouse Hibee
You can clearly see the ball deflect off his right making it spin the other way. And that’s just with a couple of replays.

No it never happened.

tamig
No it never happened.

It did.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2018, 06:03 PM
No not having it, the ref was right.

greenlex
07-01-2018, 06:04 PM

You do know it was Arsenal and not Man United?

Since90+2
07-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Definitely a double touch for the penalty , you can see the way the ball spins into the net it's not been hit like a "normal" pen.

Onion
07-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Best and worst of the modern day FA Cup in one game.

So sad to see what used to be the best Cup competition in the world degraded by the lack of respect shown by the "bigger clubs" who no longer take it seriously and probably don't care if they progress or not. A proper Arsenal would have breezed that game.

But money trumps everything in England, leaving the Scottish Cup as the only remaining, pure and proper cup competition in the UK - despite the media doing their best to talk the FA Cup up - nostalgic nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2018, 06:13 PM
Clearly a double touch. Hit his right foot first then the left.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2018, 06:13 PM
I thought it was a double touch but hard to tell. I just thought the spin on the ball could only have came from another touch

I think it was a double touch, which is good as it will give whinger something to genuinely moan about this time.

hfc rd
07-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Arsenal Fan TV is going to be one very entertaining watch tonight! 😂👍🏾

JimBHibees
07-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Clearly a double touch. Hit his right foot first then the left.

Other way round.

The_Horde
07-01-2018, 07:25 PM
When will Wenger get booted? Surely soon..

hibbysam
07-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Not when there aim is champions league and he’s still in the hunt in the league and still in Europa league which is a qualifying method.

Captain Trips
07-01-2018, 08:25 PM

How he has not been sacked over the last few years is quite amazing.

MountcastleHibs
07-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Too in with the board to get sacked. He’s even a director already. He’ll decide when he calls it a day and I doubt it’ll be anytime soon - too arrogant for that.

lapsedhibee
07-01-2018, 08:49 PM

Not even slightly amazing. He's not been sacked because he's met or exceeded the board's targets in every year except possibly one of the last twenty years.

Captain Trips
07-01-2018, 09:07 PM
Not even slightly amazing. He's not been sacked because he's met or exceeded the board's targets in every year except possibly one of the last twenty years.

That's a pity then for their fans then.

stu in nottingham
07-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Didn't personally feel the penalty was two touches. For me his standing leg (right) slid alongside the ball as he slipped but didn't touch the ball. Very close to doing so though.

I think Arsenal were repaid for the arrogance today. They came to the City Ground last year, fielded something like a third team and smashed Forest. Obviously Wenger thought they could do that again.

Smiled at the Forest supporters singing 'Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that'. Well done the Garibaldi Reds.

Mibbes Aye
07-01-2018, 09:21 PM
That's a pity then for their fans then.

I count myself as an Arsenal fan, first saw them as a child. There's an element of frustration with Wenger - his stubborness over certain players, his always finding the most difficult way to secure a goalscorer (albeit it generally works).

I would have obviously liked Arsenal to win more trophies under Wenger but I wouldn't swap for the world the sheer elan and style that they play with, when at their best. He's managed to do it with every iteration of his teams and it reminds me why football is something that can be loved.

I don't think I would change a thing with Wenger - the prettiest,most breathtaking, kinetic and sumptious football I've seen has been from his teams. Maybe hasn't delivered tons of silverware but in a funny way I don't mind.

jacomo
07-01-2018, 09:48 PM
I count myself as an Arsenal fan, first saw them as a child. There's an element of frustration with Wenger - his stubborness over certain players, his always finding the most difficult way to secure a goalscorer (albeit it generally works).

I would have obviously liked Arsenal to win more trophies under Wenger but I wouldn't swap for the world the sheer elan and style that they play with, when at their best. He's managed to do it with every iteration of his teams and it reminds me why football is something that can be loved.

I don't think I would change a thing with Wenger - the prettiest,most breathtaking, kinetic and sumptious football I've seen has been from his teams. Maybe hasn't delivered tons of silverware but in a funny way I don't mind.

Plenty of other Arsenal fans do though!

They pay the highest ticket prices in Europe but are now used to terminal decline. And they are not as watchable as they used to be.

I can see why so many are now bored of Wenger. He should have gone last summer (and several times before that).

lyonhibs
07-01-2018, 09:52 PM
No not having it, the ref was right.

A fairly rudimentary understanding of physics would tell you that was a double touch just from the angle of approach of his "actual" kicking foot.

Anyway, I don't think Arsenal can have any real complaints with the result (though of course Arsene will) Forest were the better team.

Mibbes Aye
07-01-2018, 10:05 PM

They pay the highest ticket prices in Europe but are now used to terminal decline. And they are not as watchable as they used to be.

I can see why so many are now bored of Wenger. He should have gone last summer (and several times before that).

Can't agree with that. When Ozil is on his game they are as scintillating as at any time over the last twenty years.

Wilshere's goal against Norwich last year is up there as one of the best, and most illustrative, of the Wenger era.

Against Chelsea the other night, Maitland-Niles was probably the best player on the pitch, playing what was very recognisably a Wenger-Arsenal style. He's got Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide playing the same style and pushing for a starting place.

greenlex
07-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Terminal decline? Possibly the most dramatic nonsense ive heard on the subject. Terminal decline? Really? Seriously? By the way I’m a football fan not necessarily an Arsenal fan. Just a fan of good football.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2018, 10:18 PM
I think it comes to down to finance. Do Arsenal have the financial muscle to compete for the title now?

Wenger is a strange one. He basically moulded the perfect team in the invincibles season but broke it up quite quickly afterwards and has never seemed to follow the same path again. I remember a pundit saying he was so focusssd on the asthetics of the game he almost forgot about results and trophies; I wonder if there is something in that?

greenlex
07-01-2018, 10:31 PM
I think it comes to down to finance. Do Arsenal have the financial muscle to compete for the title now?

Wenger is a strange one. He basically moulded the perfect team in the invincibles season but broke it up quite quickly afterwards and has never seemed to follow the same path again. I remember a pundit saying he was so focusssd on the asthetics of the game he almost forgot about results and trophies; I wonder if there is something in that?

I think it’s as simple as he is determined to bring Youths through to the first team. There was a programme on after the game today on BT Sport about pro youth set ups etc. He was interviewed and said it was getting harder and harder to get the young players into the side. He was also talking about how young players get too much too young. That was the general theme of the programme. He reckoned until there wa a cap on youth players wages the. English football will continue to suffer. Too much too young. He was highlighting the demise of players from 17- 21 as their playing opportunities are few and far between too as clubs needed points at their expense.
I do realise it’s a problem up here too.

Haymaker
07-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Yes. Two of the owners are outrageously wealthy, IIRC both more so than Abramovich.

It's just neither they, or other members of the board, are leading the club. So long as they maintain the money being made they aren't bothered. If they were, they'd have sacked Wenger years ago. They haven't.

Their leadership bleeds down. Wenger knows he's safe regardless, the players know it doesn't really matter how they perform they'll be paid regardless, Wenger has stuck by mediocre players for years.

McD
07-01-2018, 11:45 PM
Can't agree with that. When Ozil is on his game they are as scintillating as at any time over the last twenty years.

Wilshere's goal against Norwich last year is up there as one of the best, and most illustrative, of the Wenger era.

Against Chelsea the other night, Maitland-Niles was probably the best player on the pitch, playing what was very recognisably a Wenger-Arsenal style. He's got Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide playing the same style and pushing for a starting place.

Not to disagree with your point, but that Wilshere goal was in 2013

hfc rd
07-01-2018, 11:56 PM
You look at every other top six side in the Premier League and they were quite close to full strength. Arsenal are in no way nailed on for Top 4 - if anything, they're the least likely to make it. Arsenal's best chance this season would be to focus purely on the Cup competitions they're in, but they continually play weakened sides in order to fail in the Premier League anyway.

Europa League, I cant see them winning that especially with Dortmund, Atletico & Napoli now in it from the CL 3rd place dropouts.

No surprise that both Sanchez & Ozil are wanting to leave.

Mibbes Aye
08-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Not to disagree with your point, but that Wilshere goal was in 2013

My mistake. As I get older time seems to change :greengrin

I won't try too hard to think of an alternative but Giroud's scorpion kick from last season springs to mind, as does Ozil's goal against Ludogorets where he had defenders tumbling like skittles.

Both of those were individual brilliance rather than that fluid, kinetic team play to which I was alluding, though they've repeatedly done that this season, both with the first XI and the Europa/League Cup sides. Maybe nothing quite as tricksy as that Wilshere goal though.

jgl07
08-01-2018, 02:46 AM
You look at every other top six side in the Premier League and they were quite close to full strength. Arsenal are in no way nailed on for Top 4 - if anything, they're the least likely to make it. Arsenal's best chance this season would be to focus purely on the Cup competitions they're in, but they continually play weakened sides in order to fail in the Premier League anyway.

Europa League, I cant see them winning that especially with Dortmund, Atletico & Napoli now in it from the CL 3rd place dropouts.

No surprise that both Sanchez & Ozil are wanting to leave.

I wish I knew what Wenger was playing for. The youth development argument for playing a weakened team does not stack up. In a tough away match to Championship opposition, the worst thing you could do is to put a load of youngsters in and risk destroying their confidence. By all means put in a couple or maybe three.

What are Arsenal saving their best players for? The League Cup sf against Chelsea or next week against Bournemouth? Surely not the Europa Lesgue match next month? Knowing Wenger he will probably put out weakened teams in both the LC and the EL.

Arsenal have a very good recent record in the FA Cup and it ought to have been their top priority. They will not win the PL (24 points adrift). They will find the EL hard going with Napoli, Atletico, and Dortmund around. The LC also looks a tough call with Chelsea in the way and potentially Man City in the final.

That leaves the top-four to go for. I do not see that happening. On recent form, Chelsea and Liverpool look good bets to join Man City. That leaves Arsenal battling it out with Tottenham and Man United for the final place.

I like Arsenal and the way that they play but they are going nowhere under Wenger. Their decline continues. They were serious title contenders up to ten years ago. They were fixtures in the top-four untill last season. With Ozil and Sanchez on their way, the top six looks like the best they can do.

jacomo
08-01-2018, 05:58 PM

My Arsenal mates tell me the football is noticeably worse most of the time.

jacomo
08-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Terminal decline? Possibly the most dramatic nonsense ive heard on the subject. Terminal decline? Really? Seriously? By the way I’m a football fan not necessarily an Arsenal fan. Just a fan of good football.

Well obviously this is football, so things can change quickly and hyperbolic language is compulsory! :wink:

If Wenger stays though, I can't see any improvement. Going into next season there will be no Sanchez or Ozil and Arsenal might be looking over their shoulder at who could force them out of the top six, let alone looking up.

Do you really think they can finish top 4 this season? I just can't see it.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2018, 06:28 PM
My son who live in St Albans wanted a season ticket for the emirates, but for years had to settle for a club membership, which got him in a couple of games a season if he was lucky.

He can get in most of the time these days with that membership, but he'd rather watch Hibs. :greengrin

His mates are not going so much either, not sure of the percentage of the entire support, but all his mates want Wenger out?