PDA

View Full Version : 21 May 2016 - Cup Final Sportsound and Off The Ball

LaMotta
04-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I remember a thread a while back with people looking for cup final reaction from Sportsound and Off the Ball on the day.

They are now on Youtube to be savoured for Eternity and they make for fantastic listening :flag:

Sportsound:
https://youtu.be/-uZA1ZYnHa8

https://youtu.be/-uZA1ZYnHa8

LaMotta
04-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Off the Ball:
https://youtu.be/gpvm6YfTEZo

https://youtu.be/gpvm6YfTEZo

SON OF PADDY
04-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Chick Young isn't it about time you apologised !
Lie after lie, where is you're evidence ???
Every Rangers Player being assaulted. "my Arse" 😠😠😠

Gregor
04-01-2018, 11:48 PM
You can really feel the pain and the hate in Chick's voice in the Off The Ball segment. David Tanner on Sky was the same.

Baws to them. Doesn't matter. We won the Cup, and I got to wander behind a bus down the Royal Mile with "a few folk" on the sunniest day of the year, congregating at the Leith Links, and also managed to follow a quite fascinating three-day bender of Hibs players on that Twitter. Magic times. Infact, about time we did it again.

[Edit] Link tae Photaes: https://goo.gl/photos/eEYPaN3U6yG2jy548

Greencore
04-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Been looking for this for a while now, THANK YOU.

Johnny_Leith
05-01-2018, 12:05 AM
LD puts that wee bigot chick young right in his place. Get it round you, biased wee liar.

Side note, there's an interview with Paul Hanlon and Lewis Stevenson's after the cup final I've been struggling to find....anyone got a link to the video?

SteveHFC
05-01-2018, 12:10 AM
Anyone got the full live radio commentary from the final.

05-01-2018, 12:15 AM
GIRUY Tam Cowan you fud

Nicho87
05-01-2018, 12:31 AM
Only listened to a small part and the seethe is unreal. From chic to Richard Gordon. I stopped listening as they are not worth our time.

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2018, 12:46 AM

:agree: I would love to hear that as well

iwasthere1972
05-01-2018, 01:20 AM
Chic Dung like a dog with a bone. Glad that LD put him in his place and only wanted to talk about the game and the Mighty Hibees lifting the SC.

Spent the next hour watching the end of the match on YouTube and Sunshine on Leith.

we are hibs
05-01-2018, 09:19 AM
What an absolute Fanny tam Cowan is. First time I've heard that, FairPlay to the other boy for pulling him up about the hibs'd it pish. As for all the hysteria at the time about it being "tarnished" what a load of ***** that was too, ask any hibs fan what they remember most about that day and I guarantee it'll be David Gray getting his head to that ball. No regrets for me, I wouldn't have had that day any other way

calumhibee1
05-01-2018, 09:52 AM
What an absolute Fanny tam Cowan is. First time I've heard that, FairPlay to the other boy for pulling him up about the hibs'd it pish. As for all the hysteria at the time about it being "tarnished" what a load of ***** that was too, ask any hibs fan what they remember most about that day and I guarantee it'll be David Gray getting his head to that ball. No regrets for me, I wouldn't have had that day any other way

Yup. Had the pitch invasion not happened and we paraded the trophy around the pitch after he game I’m sure I’d have said that I wouldn’t have had it any other way. However, the way it did unfold will live with me forever and I wouldn’t change a thing. The pitch invasion will be an iconic image in Scottish football for years to come.

ajf
05-01-2018, 10:49 AM
John Barnes this has set Scottish football back 35 years and Willie miller hibs supporters have set the game back decades, decades!!
What a pair of absolute slavers :na na:

Carheenlea
05-01-2018, 10:54 AM

:agree: I would love to hear that as well

I heard the commentary of the winning goal on a Sportsound show a month or so back, and the commentator described one of Scottish footballs most dramatic moments with all that surrounded it as Gray scored deep into injury time with as much enthusiasm as he would had Motherwell opened the scoring against Ross County. Not what I had imagined it to have been sadly.

hibstag
05-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Yup. Had the pitch invasion not happened and we paraded the trophy around the pitch after he game I’m sure I’d have said that I wouldn’t have had it any other way. However, the way it did unfold will live with me forever and I wouldn’t change a thing. The pitch invasion will be an iconic image in Scottish football for years to come.

This is where i am - all the media slavers spent years giving it Hibs havent won the scottish cup in (insert years here) at every opportunity, whether was a a live match, a cup highlights programme or match report. I dont think dundee ( last won in 1910) got/ get the same coverage.

the length of time we had not won it and a focus on final defeats had become the starting point for media coverage due in part to our improved number of Semi final, Final apperances since 2001 keeping the poor record alive in everyones mind.

In my opinion the media had a huge part to play in the outpouring of utter joy and in some cases relief that the pitch invasion represents due to them bringing it up constantly. not that any of them admitted this.

GreenCastle
05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Anyone got a link to the live match on radio and the commentary?

Remeber there used to be a great clip of Ivan Sproule scoring his goals at Rangers recorded.

Also loved the pitch invasion - wasn’t on pitch - but what a memory and occasion.

Bostonhibby
05-01-2018, 11:10 AM
John Barnes this has set Scottish football back 35 years and Willie miller hibs supporters have set the game back decades, decades!!
What a pair of absolute slavers :na na:Thought that stank at the time when of course in the real world what really makes Scottish football look bad is the liquidation of the now defunct Glasgow rangers and their successor clubs current financial arrangements.

Couple this with what we learnt about the reality of how hearts were in fact funded and it's no wonder we look like the dodgiest banana Republic.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Mainstandman
05-01-2018, 11:29 AM
The Glasgow based media take little interest outside the old firm. It was obvious it killed them that we won. Recently they had Danny Lennon on to talk about his new job and how had brought through players at st mirren (like McGinn and macgregor). Guess what the first question to him was ( and the first five mins)...........asking about mcinnes and the Rangers job!!

I stick to my own memories of that great day.

Northernhibee
05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
The best one was Terry Butcher as a pundit on the BBC highlights that evening. That he had to see what proper, modern management can achieve pleases me no end.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Willie Miller is a prick, put the game back decades my arse. I'd love someone to ask all these clowns to justify their comments now, and explain their words 18 months later.

snooky
05-01-2018, 11:43 AM
People really should stop letting the media do their thinking for them whether it is sport, politics, or otherwise. If there's one good thing that the internet has done it is to show up the lies, misinformation and propaganda that mainstream media has fed us for years. The SCF coverage highlights this perfectly.

Carheenlea
05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
The laughable thing about Chick Young's outrage is that he has never been slow to boast of his presence on the Wembley pitch in 1977. Certainly one broadcaster that can't be taken seriously.

hibsbollah
05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
The five live coverage of that day tells you everything you need to know about hun bias up here. I was listening to the game on a crackly radio in London (circumstances meant I missed our greatest moment but I still have brilliant and unique memories of celebrating the day down there) and the English commentator was reporting it as a pitch invasion 'of joy' by the Hibs fans, they cut away fora news report or something, and cut back to report that the Rangers fans had 'started attacking Hibs fans on the pitch', ie-thefactual events.

It was only after an hour or so when I got talking to mates and saw the evening news reports with the bbc Scotland sports boys front and centre, that the 'hibs animals attacking rangers players, some rangers fans were also goaded' narrative was created. The BBC 5 live England team reported it as it was.

InchHibby
05-01-2018, 11:54 AM
A good listen upto the point where Willie Miller and Chic Young made a pure arse of themselves.
Putting the game back decades, every The Rangers player assaulted, a tarnished victory.
What a right pair of tossers, they should be asked now, how much it’s affected Scottish Football, it’s certainly not affected us.
The best ever day in my life ( other than the usual ) and one no Hibs fan would change.
Their problem was, “ they thought it was all over “ well it was in the 92nd minute and they didn’t like it.
:flag:

Firestarter
05-01-2018, 12:00 PM
I still don't understand why none of they fuds have been pulled up about their complete lies that day. It was all made up and has been proven to be pish so why haven't they been pulled up?

Argylehibby
05-01-2018, 12:14 PM
This is where i am - all the media slavers spent years giving it Hibs havent won the scottish cup in (insert years here) at every opportunity, whether was a a live match, a cup highlights programme or match report. I dont think dundee ( last won in 1910) got/ get the same coverage.

the length of time we had not won it and a focus on final defeats had become the starting point for media coverage due in part to our improved number of Semi final, Final apperances since 2001 keeping the poor record alive in everyones mind.

In my opinion the media had a huge part to play in the outpouring of utter joy and in some cases relief that the pitch invasion represents due to them bringing it up constantly. not that any of them admitted this.

:agree: Heard plenty references to "goading" in the aftermath but none of it in relation to the decades of goading by the likes of chick dung and his fellow "journalists". It seemed that 20 seconds is enough goading to justify one set of fans at the game to go on the park to fight but 50 years worth doesn't justify the other set going on to celebrate.

matty_f
05-01-2018, 12:39 PM
I still don't understand why none of they fuds have been pulled up about their complete lies that day. It was all made up and has been proven to be pish so why haven't they been pulled up?

Because nobody except for us cares about it anymore.

green day
05-01-2018, 12:44 PM
The laughable thing about Chick Young's outrage is that he has never been slow to boast of his presence on the Wembley pitch in 1977. Certainly one broadcaster that can't be taken seriously.

I drove to the final and me and my dad were pishing ourselves at Cowans nonsense post match.

I should say that Stuart Cosgrove told Tam he was talking crap, that it didnt demean it at all - and I think that he also alluded to Chic Youngs double standards.

I really, really, respect Stuart Cosgrove for giving us the credit all real football fans did on that day, given the stick we had over the years - top man.

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 01:09 PM
:agree: Heard plenty references to "goading" in the aftermath but none of it in relation to the decades of goading by the likes of chick dung and his fellow "journalists". It seemed that 20 seconds is enough goading to justify one set of fans at the game to go on the park to fight but 50 years worth doesn't justify the other set going on to celebrate.

Great post.

I don't remember calls for an inquiry after the yams invaded the pitch following the Sir Albert Kidd game. They came on with a bit of angry menace attached whereas we went on to celebrate lifting the Holy Grail.

To be honest I don't care that much about the comments from bitter media huns/yam mini huns who couldn't take it that the better team had won however its certainly interesting listening to their sour resentment at us bursting the 'hoodoo'.

It was then and very probably always will be one of the greatest days ever following the Hi bees. Not everyone will agree but the celebrations from some of us after the game for me only enhanced the day by getting it right up the huns.

Hermit Crab
05-01-2018, 01:17 PM
I wonder if they were condemning the old rangers fans that day they won the league at ER in the strangest game in history. They invaded the pitch, broke the crossbar, ripped up nets and "goaded" us in the old east terracing the police on horses came onto the pitch that day as well to separate fans!

Pricks.

SirDavidsNapper
05-01-2018, 01:24 PM
The only voice of reason in all of that was Stuart Cosgrove.

SirDavidsNapper
05-01-2018, 01:28 PM
A good listen upto the point where Willie Miller and Chic Young made a pure arse of themselves.
Putting the game back decades, every The Rangers player assaulted, a tarnished victory.
What a right pair of tossers, they should be asked now, how much it’s affected Scottish Football, it’s certainly not affected us.
The best ever day in my life ( other than the usual ) and one no Hibs fan would change.
Their problem was, “ they thought it was all over “ well it was in the 92nd minute and they didn’t like it.

The sectarian abuse aimed towards Stubbs set the game back further than Hibs fans celebrating on the pitch did. The sour grapes in the media still makes me chuckle. Actually added to my joy on the day.

Carheenlea
05-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I drove to the final and me and my dad were pishing ourselves at Cowans nonsense post match.

I should say that Stuart Cosgrove told Tam he was talking crap, that it didnt demean it at all - and I think that he also alluded to Chic Youngs double standards.

I really, really, respect Stuart Cosgrove for giving us the credit all real football fans did on that day, given the stick we had over the years - top man.

I suspect there is a part of every football fan who while they may not admit it, wishes it was they who were on the pitch that day.

Firestarter
05-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Because nobody except for us cares about it anymore.

So the message is lie about whatever you like in the media. Excuse no one will care eventually when it turns out untrue.

givescotlandfreedom
05-01-2018, 03:01 PM
So the message is lie about whatever you like in the media. Excuse no one will care eventually when it turns out untrue.

Petty I know but I was a bit miffed that the club invited the Daily Record into the club to give them a big exclusive piece about the current goings on. The paper tried to hammer us as a club and support by spewing lies.

Firestarter
05-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Petty I know but I was a bit miffed that the club invited the Daily Record into the club to give them a big exclusive piece about the current goings on. The paper tried to hammer us as a club and support by spewing lies.

Aye me too and it's not petty. Tell them to gtf.

.Sean.
05-01-2018, 03:21 PM
I suspect there is a part of every football fan who while they may not admit it, wishes it was they who were on the pitch that day.
Of course they do. There will never be another Scottish cup win like that for as long as any of us live.

I've got plenty regrets but running up the Huns end and giving it laldy to that gang at full time ain't one of them :giruy2:

HNA7
05-01-2018, 03:22 PM
The first 2 posts of this thread have been added to The Vault...........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?327454-21-May-2016-Cup-Final-Sportsound-and-Off-The-Ball

Not In The Know
05-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Great post. Cosgrove was ready to get in a shouting match with that plum Cowan.

Onion
05-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Great post.

I don't remember calls for an inquiry after the yams invaded the pitch following the Sir Albert Kidd game. They came on with a bit of angry menace attached whereas we went on to celebrate lifting the Holy Grail.

To be honest I don't care that much about the comments from bitter media huns/yam mini huns who couldn't take it that the better team had won however its certainly interesting listening to their sour resentment at us bursting the 'hoodoo'.

It was then and very probably always will be one of the greatest days ever following the Hi bees. Not everyone will agree but the celebrations from some of us after the game for me only enhanced the day by getting it right up the huns.

The game itself and joy of winning the thing after so many failed attempts (and yes, the years of media gloating & goading) was more than enough to make it the best ever day as a Hibs fan, by a distance. The actions of a few nutters who went overboard (which had zero to do with Hibs winning the cup) neither enhanced or detracted from that day. They were irrelevant and a sideshow to the main event. Those who thought the after match events WERE the story are simply as ignorant and ill-informed as Police Scotland.

Fantastic occasion, amazing game and heroic performances transformed Hibs that day and I was just so glad to have been part of it. Few fans from ANY club will come close to what we experienced in May 2016.

SteveHFC
05-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Remeber there used to be a great clip of Ivan Sproule scoring his goals at Rangers recorded.

was my dad that done that and still about web

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 04:22 PM
The game itself and joy of winning the thing after so many failed attempts (and yes, the years of media gloating & goading) was more than enough to make it the best ever day as a Hibs fan, by a distance. The actions of a few nutters who went overboard (which had zero to do with Hibs winning the cup) neither enhanced or detracted from that day. They were irrelevant and a sideshow to the main event. Those who thought the after match events WERE the story are simply as ignorant and ill-informed as Police Scotland.

Fantastic occasion, amazing game and heroic performances transformed Hibs that day and I was just so glad to have been part of it. Few fans from ANY club will come close to what we experienced in May 2016.

I was at the very bottom row in the lowest tier of the main stand when the pitch invasion took place and did not nor could not see any of the fighting that took place on the other half of the pitch through the thousands of Hibernian supporters that took to the pitch. I wasn't saying any punch ups enhanced the occasion. I was referring to the overall joyous throng that went on the pitch and stayed on our half of it. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing our celebratory fans on the pitch and if I had been a bit younger I would have been on with them.

Its a shame the Rangers couldn't take it with their thugs coming on to do battle.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Made it to the 6 minute mark of the Sportsound clip

The negativity and bias is shocking

We achieved the unthinkable and they simply couldn’t handle it

I was on holiday recently and I was speaking to a guy from Portugal and, of course, the conversation turned to football. When I said I supported Hibs, he instantly referenced the 2016 cup final finish and celebrations.

He said it was brilliant to see supporters showing such passion. Outside of the broken west coast media, this was how the final whistle pitch envisions were viewed across the world.

We went on to celebrate, they came on to fight

HIBERNIAN FC, SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

matty_f
05-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but the papers feed people a load of pish on a daily basis.

They lie about a lot worse than this and get away with it, and there is nobody apart from us that is bothered about a wrong headline and story from a year and half ago.

Not saying that's right, just how it is.

stoneyburn hibs
05-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Not bothered to even go back and read or hear what any media outlet/journalist said. I'm just thankful that I was there, nobody can take that away.

zlatan
05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Tam Cowan bleating on about it maybe ruining his pals day then revealing one of said pals dad was on the pitch :hilarious

Pretty Boy
05-01-2018, 09:23 PM
I spoke to Tam Cowan a few months ago and we got blethering about football. He said for all he gives Hibs it tight on the radio he was really chuffed for us that day and said he was secretly really jealous of the celebrations. Cosgrove and Cowan play off each other and he took the reactionary stance and played his role.

Joe6-2
05-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Chick young, lying little basta*d
Still angers me that the Hibs board didn’t take idiots like him to task

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Tam Cowan bleating on about it maybe ruining his pals day then revealing one of said pals dad was on the pitch :hilarious

Think it was Grant Stott he was talking about.

Lancs Harp
05-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Personally I find this thread a tad distasteful considering to this day several rangers players are still in hospital or receiving psychological therapy.

Mr White
05-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Personally I find this thread a tad distasteful considering to this day several rangers players are still in hospital or receiving psychological therapy.

True. Andy Halliday moved to Azerbaijan to try to forget the whole ordeal.

PatHead
05-01-2018, 11:16 PM
We won the cup 🤗. Still so happy

Bostonhibby
05-01-2018, 11:24 PM
True. Andy Halliday moved to Azerbaijan to try to forget the whole ordeal.Who?

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 11:29 PM
I spoke to Tam Cowan a few months ago and we got blethering about football. He said for all he gives Hibs it tight on the radio he was really chuffed for us that day and said he was secretly really jealous of the celebrations. Cosgrove and Cowan play off each other and he took the reactionary stance and played his role.

Its really good to hear he said this as sometimes he comes across as a dyed in the wool west coast media type so good on him. The celebrations on the pitch were mainly borne out of the since 1902 and cheated out of a penalty in the last few minutes 1979 v huns and were suitably apt on the day 21/5/16. The only ones who were bitter and spiteful were the losing hun type :greengrin.

God bless all of us.

Lancs Harp
05-01-2018, 11:37 PM
After the pitch invasion one of our invading crusaders offered me a piece of the sacred turf on his return to the stands that he had liberated after the game. It was only on my return home to darkest Lancashire and attempting to relay my back garden in the visage of Hampden Park May 2016 that I discovered to my horror that the sacred turf included bits of rangers players embedded in it. I must admit i panicked and flushed the "evidence" down the karzi to avoid any potential incrimination.

hibsboy69
05-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Chick Dung and co are pricks, but I've got to say that Richard Gordon sounds genuinely pleased for Hibs :agree:

I enjoy listening Richard Gordon on Sportsound and don't agree with the sentiment I often read on here that "the BBC are anti Hibs"........lets leave that conspiracy pish to the weegies !

Anyway, thanks to the OP for posting......what a great listen ! :thumbsup:

wearehibernian
06-01-2018, 02:32 AM

Absolutely!

FilipinoHibs
06-01-2018, 03:01 AM

Yes the rest made my blood boil.

hibbysam
06-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Love the fact that in every interview Chick Hun tries to turn it on it’s head and make it about the ‘disgrace’ and every Hibs employee couldn’t give a **** about it and put him in his place.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Who?

He could have won the cup, but he.... didn’t

Bostonhibby
06-01-2018, 10:03 AM
After the pitch invasion one of our invading crusaders offered me a piece of the sacred turf on his return to the stands that he had liberated after the game. It was only on my return home to darkest Lancashire and attempting to relay my back garden in the visage of Hampden Park May 2016 that I discovered to my horror that the sacred turf included bits of rangers players embedded in it. I must admit i panicked and flushed the "evidence" down the karzi to avoid any potential incrimination.

:greengrin

Seemingly it really was carnage, so badly mauled were the victims police Glasgow could only identify them by their red hand tattoos or DNA in the worst possible cases.

I'd have been happy to send the gristle and bone that was attached to my bit of turf to help with the in depth investigation, but like you I panicked, and fed it to the dug instead.

Bostonhibby
06-01-2018, 10:06 AM
He could have won the cup, but he.... didn’t

Thanks, still not sure I've heard of him. Was he the guy who was telling them it was in the bag resulting in Dave King telling police Glasgow to hot foot it to Ibrox for the party?:wink:

hibsbollah
06-01-2018, 10:08 AM

:faf:

Im assuming some of it was Lee Wallace?

SouthMoroccoStu
06-01-2018, 01:08 PM
:faf:

Im assuming some of it was Lee Wallace?

Boy I know from the pub swears he has Lee Wallace’s head on his mantle place

SouthMoroccoStu
06-01-2018, 01:16 PM
The bit of post match incidence lied about or covered up by the media which annoys me most is the rangers fans attacking police officers and vehicles outside the stadium post match. They tried to overturn a riot van ( oh the irony) and I believe a number of police officers were injured

But this was news worthy compared to some fans running on the pitch to celebrate the ending day of a 114 year curse

Sweep sweep sweep - protect the establishment club

budgiemcb
07-01-2018, 05:07 PM

He gets pulled up on that hypocrisy in the Off the ball part.

Northernhibee
07-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Made it to the 6 minute mark of the Sportsound clip

The negativity and bias is shocking

We achieved the unthinkable and they simply couldn’t handle it

I was on holiday recently and I was speaking to a guy from Portugal and, of course, the conversation turned to football. When I said I supported Hibs, he instantly referenced the 2016 cup final finish and celebrations.

He said it was brilliant to see supporters showing such passion. Outside of the broken west coast media, this was how the final whistle pitch envisions were viewed across the world.

We went on to celebrate, they came on to fight

HIBERNIAN FC, SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

As Pretty Boy found out, I think it was more of two people taking opposite sides to create discussion and debate on the radio. I've no issue with that.

I do have issue with Regan (or was it Doncaster?) saying how "embarrasing" on TV it was just minutes after the final whistle.What a prick the boy is and totally unsuitable to be running our game. Bowing to pressure from The Rangers and their bad loser tantrums.