PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw (3 Year Deal Signed)

Ozyhibby
04-01-2018, 08:12 PM
A stats graphic produced by https://thebackpassrule.com/
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/8fb69c07be36822e5917ec23a9f5778d.jpg
Don’t ask me what it all means, I’m still trying to understand it. They do a lot of interesting blogs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
04-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Might be missing something but I couldn't see anything about Oli Shaw in there?

I did however see the club stats table and found it interesting that we have one of the lowest "shots against per game" and one of the highest "goals conceded per game" of any team in the league.

Think it perfectly sums up the defence this season and shows how well we could be doing if we worked out how to tighten it all up!

easty
04-01-2018, 08:38 PM
and one of the highest "goals conceded per game" of any team in the league.

That cannae be right, more than half the teams in the league have conceded more than we have.

bigwheel
04-01-2018, 08:44 PM
That cannae be right, more than half the teams in the league have conceded more than we have.

I think it is highest goals conceded “per shot against”, in the league Ie. Higher percentage of chances against result in a goal. That makes sense when you watch us

Aim Here
04-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Might be missing something but I couldn't see anything about Oli Shaw in there?

He's probably referring to a tweet made by the blogger on Oli's shot performance, which is in the sidebar.

https://twitter.com/TheBackpassRule/status/949008177894445056

04-01-2018, 09:09 PM
I think it is highest goals conceded “per shot against”, in the league Ie. Higher percentage of chances against result in a goal. That makes sense when you watch us

I said as much not long ago so it comes as no surprise that the stats confirm it. What makes it more annoying is the number of times we've conceded from the first chance against us, usually after we've put the opponent under a period of sustained pressure without converting any of the chances.

Hibee Mac
04-01-2018, 09:34 PM

My bad, this is what I meant.

Hibee Mac
04-01-2018, 09:37 PM
He's probably referring to a tweet made by the blogger on Oli's shot performance, which is in the sidebar.

Cheers.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Can you summarise please

danhibees1875
04-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Can you summarise please

Basically, Shaw hits shots from areas he's likely to score. Based on some sort of metric the guy(or maybe it's more widely known) has calculated for the likelihood of a goal.

As for our goals conceded : opposition chances ratio - I'm not sure it's altogether that negative a stat. We don't give away numerous half chances at our goal, other teams have to work harder to get a rarer but good chance that comes with us conceding a higher % of our shots against.

Mibbes Aye
04-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Can you summarise please

It's limited data and I have a relatively limited understanding, but I read it as Oli does better than expected and very much in the area that is central and a bit beyond the six-yard box.

That fits with my experience of watching him at dev and first-team level. He has really good feet, and can make himself the space to shoot and score from closeish range even when he has a defender or two tight on him.

Some posters talk about us getting a poacher in. I think we have one.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Basically, Shaw hits shots from areas he's likely to score. Based on some sort of metric the guy(or maybe it's more widely known) has calculated for the likelihood of a goal.

As for our goals conceded : opposition chances ratio - I'm not sure it's altogether that negative a stat. We don't give away numerous half chances at our goal, other teams have to work harder to get a rarer but good chance that comes with us conceding a higher % of our shots against.

Ta

Billy Whizz
04-01-2018, 10:02 PM
It's limited data and I have a relatively limited understanding, but I read it as Oli does better than expected and very much in the area that is central and a bit beyond the six-yard box.

That fits with my experience of watching him at dev and first-team level. He has really good feet, and can make himself the space to shoot and score from closeish range even when he has a defender or two tight on him.

Ta

Tyler Durden
04-01-2018, 10:06 PM

The metric is xG or "expected goals". You might notice Sky Sports have started quoting this in their match stats this season. I don't think BBC have as yet?

More background here on what it means - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/expected-goals-xg-does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/amp/

In terms of Oli Shaw, he has 3 goals against an expected goals or xG of 2.09.

wookie70
04-01-2018, 10:07 PM

I agree, I think Oli has the makings of a far better player than Cummings. Great feet and is brilliant at finding a yard in the box. He actually reminds me a wee bit of Ally McCoist in that he loves getting between the sticks from the penalty spot in. He makes runs that are designed to end up with a shot on goal too not just a run into a channel like Simon Murray. If we could get someone to play up close to him so he could find more space. I am a very regular critic of Stokes but I actually think him and Oli could work well together if Stokes played up front rather than where he fancies. Stokes is great at spotting runs and playing short balls in the box he simply doesn't get near the box often enough to influence the game. He would have to up his effort too.

Mibbes Aye
04-01-2018, 10:21 PM
I agree, I think Oli has the makings of a far better player than Cummings. Great feet and is brilliant at finding a yard in the box. He actually reminds me a wee bit of Ally McCoist in that he loves getting between the sticks from the penalty spot in. He makes runs that are designed to end up with a shot on goal too not just a run into a channel like Simon Murray. If we could get someone to play up close to him so he could find more space. I am a very regular critic of Stokes but I actually think him and Oli could work well together if Stokes played up front rather than where he fancies. Stokes is great at spotting runs and playing short balls in the box he simply doesn't get near the box often enough to influence the game. He would have to up his effort too.

Never thought of the McCoist comparison but I see where you are coming from. There's also a bit of Peter Crouch about him for me, who scored far better internationally than he did at club level. If he scores at their rates and at the level they were playing at, at the time, then he's looking towards a good career.

truehibernian
04-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Never thought of the McCoist comparison but I see where you are coming from. There's also a bit of Peter Crouch about him for me, who scored far better internationally than he did at club level. If he scores at their rates and at the level they were playing at, at the time, then he's looking towards a good career.

No pressure but he reminds me of Alan Gordon - especially with his 'celebrations' - similarly understated. Loved the way on Saturday he scores a tap in and he is the one who immediately runs back to the centre spot to kick off, no requirement to go overboard.

The boy is born to score goals :agree:

Mibbes Aye
04-01-2018, 11:39 PM
No pressure but he reminds me of Alan Gordon - especially with his 'celebrations' - similarly understated. Loved the way on Saturday he scores a tap in and he is the one who immediately runs back to the centre spot to kick off, no requirement to go overboard.

The boy is born to score goals :agree:

I would agree with this. I've seen big scorers at dev level - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al - but Shaw looks the part at this level

I understand the concerns about how he is bled into first-team football and I think he probably needs patience and understanding next season in particular, if not the last quarter of this season - opposition teams and coaches will have seen him and worked out parts of his game. It's up to him, NL and his teammates to ensure he delivers and that may take a little bit of work as he settles into a first-team role.

KWJ
05-01-2018, 01:49 PM
I would agree with this. I've seen big scorers at dev level - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al - but Shaw looks the part at this level

I understand the concerns about how he is bled into first-team football and I think he probably needs patience and understanding next season in particular, if not the last quarter of this season - opposition teams and coaches will have seen him and worked out parts of his game. It's up to him, NL and his teammates to ensure he delivers and that may take a little bit of work as he settles into a first-team role.

There's a name I'd forgotten about. Was he after or before Ross Campbell? I know Ross was doing okay down the leagues for a bit, are either of them still playing? Gray was from the NE of England was he no?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Shaw and he's done much better than I expected in the little time he's had. I didn't think he should've started the last derby but he's got to start this one.

overdrive
05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
There's a name I'd forgotten about. Was he after or before Ross Campbell? I know Ross was doing okay down the leagues for a bit, are either of them still playing? Gray was from the NE of England was he no?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Shaw and he's done much better than I expected in the little time he's had. I didn't think he should've started the last derby but he's got to start this one.

Don't think either of them are playing. I see Gray was at Osterunds a few seasons ago (granted they will have been a lower league club at the time).

JeMeSouviens
05-01-2018, 03:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSuN1XOW0AEDjzi.jpg

The commentary was
but worth noting that all his goals have come from a shot with an xG > 0.2.

I think the theory is that if xG is staying high then he's consistently getting into good positions he'd expect to score from.

ancient hibee
05-01-2018, 03:31 PM
When he scored against Hearts Oli made Souttar,who we are told can go to the highest level,look extremely foolish and flat footed.Playing close to Stokes would push him on,even by failing to read the clever passes Stokes can make would teach him something.

Dibben
05-01-2018, 04:23 PM
New contracted signed. 3 years.

Great news!

Bishop Hibee
05-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Just signed a new 3 year deal. Great news.

iwasthere1972
05-01-2018, 04:24 PM
New contracted signed. 3 years.

Great news!

Just seen on SSN

Hopefully a great future lies ahead.

Billy Whizz
05-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Brilliant news, and well deserved Oli

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't think we make many clear cut chances during a normal game, certainly not as many as our possession deserves.

Players like Shaw thrive on service and poaching goals, and so far from the poor scraps he's had to feed off has done superb.

Great news about the new 3 year deal. :top marks

Onion
05-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Hibs doing good business yet again. Well done to Oli, looks a real good prospect.

Jonnyboy
05-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Delighted with this

Sir David Gray
05-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Excellent news.

Mibbes Aye
05-01-2018, 05:21 PM

He was round about the same time. Gray was playing junior football a few years back but I'm not sure if he left the game. He was a goal machine at dev level.

Great to hear about Oli's new contract.

Sir David Gray
05-01-2018, 05:47 PM

As far as I can see Ross Campbell hasn't played for anyone since 2011 when he left Dumbarton. Damon Gray appears to have last played with Kelty Hearts but apparently left them in 2014 and I can't see any information on him since then.

They both played for Hibs around the same time.

hibsbollah
05-01-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm very happy with this, Shaw is developing into one of my favourite players.

R'Albin
05-01-2018, 06:20 PM
So does this deal end in January 2021?

Billy Whizz
05-01-2018, 06:22 PM
So does this deal end in January 2021?

I’m presuming it’s June 2021, just added 2 years to his current deal

Leith Green
05-01-2018, 06:25 PM
As far as I can see Ross Campbell hasn't played for anyone since 2011 when he left Dumbarton. Damon Gray appears to have last played with Kelty Hearts but apparently left them in 2014 and I can't see any information on him since then.

They both played for Hibs around the same time.

Damon is a great guy.. Done a bit work for him on house , sound bloke.. Pretty sure he was at Berwick with Lee Currie about 2013

Hi Heid Yin
05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
I'm delighted that we have this "poacher/natural scorer" tied down for the next few years.
He is like a new signing.

Dashing Bob S
05-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Shir Sean shed Shaw jusht shined

05-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Shir Sean shed Shaw jusht shined

Nice allitera-Sean.

Great to see Oli get an extension, fingers crossed Dylan next.

Greenworld
06-01-2018, 09:33 AM
I’m presuming it’s June 2021, just added 2 years to his current dealI would imagine it will be a new contract on new improved terms for three years ..Good business though just need to add a couple of new players to the squad and I'll be happy.
I think we are in a great place just now.. we only need to add 1 or 2 players any transfer window brings great stability to the team / club

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
06-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Damon is a great guy.. Done a bit work for him on house , sound bloke.. Pretty sure he was at Berwick with Lee Currie about 2013

He played for Berwick Rangers between 2009-2010 and then 2011-2012 before signing for Kelty Hearts.

hibsbollah
06-01-2018, 01:32 PM
He played for Berwick Rangers between 2009-2010 and then 2011-2012 before signing for Kelty Hearts.

He also has terrible taste in shirts. I met him on the train with some other Hibs players in the Collins era and the pattern was so bright and loud it's still inprinted on my brain. Nice chap to talk to though.