PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Fitba - Pat Fenlon interview

CL0762
04-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi folks,

This Monday live on the show (barring any technical issues) we’ll be joined live on the phone with Pat for an in-depth chat about his time at the club.

Any questions or any topics you’d like us to discuss drop them in here and we’ll do our best to get them asked/answered.

Cheers,
Craig

hughio
04-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Hi folks,

This Monday live on the show (barring any technical issues) we’ll be joined live on the phone with Pat for an in-depth chat about his time at the club.

Any questions or any topics you’d like us to discuss drop them in here and we’ll do our best to get them asked/answered.

Cheers,
Craig

What is his analysis of the abysmal performance in the most shameful game any Hibby ever witnessed...I refer of course to the 5-1 debacle?

Fenriz
04-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Looking forward to this one- should be interesting.

On a more positive note, I would like to ask about his favourite memories from his only full season with the club (the relatively successful 2012-13 season)

bigwheel
04-01-2018, 02:42 PM
what did happen the night before that cup final ...

and

does he think His would have been relegated if he had stated on until the end of the season - and why didn't he?

givescotlandfreedom
04-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Does he think Craig Thomson is an appalling ref whose incompetence only helps one side or a cheat?

Northernhibee
04-01-2018, 02:50 PM
A good guy and a good manager who was too nice to take the club by the scruff of the neck and sort out the shambolic scouting system.

Good bloke who was very respectful of the club.

givescotlandfreedom
04-01-2018, 03:09 PM
A good guy and a good manager who was too nice to take the club by the scruff of the neck and sort out the shambolic scouting system.

Good bloke who was very respectful of the club.

I thought so too.

horseflesh
04-01-2018, 03:31 PM
what did happen the night before that cup final ...

and

does he think His would have been relegated if he had stated on until the end of the season - and why didn't he?
Would never have been close to relegation and we also would not have been relegated in the late 90s if Alex Miller had stayed on
However we were crying out for a change and both times were horrendously managed from the board

Bostonhibby
04-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Good bloke who was very respectful of the club.Yep. Entirely honourable and despite what I read above, was the victim of meeting the poppy thieves at the very top of their financial doping, and the perfect storm of a referee who looked unusually favourably on them on the day.

We'll never know how Pat's average looking side would have done but for these factors but we'd a good indication along the way to the final. I enjoyed every game.

We've moved on and up since, look at the stigma that's stuck to the thieves since.

Fenlon was a good manager at a bad time. He'd have kept us up no bother but I am not sure we'd have seen the Renaissance we have since relegation.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
04-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Let's not forget he had us beating Celtic and top of the SPL at one point. If he'd been able to turn the slump around and also replace LG's goals then we'd have seen him as a very good manager indeed.

Before LD came in so much of the club - scouting, youth development was a shambles and Pat was unfortunate in that respect.

Re: the phone in interview, I know he came across to spend 21st May 2016 with the fans. Would love to hear his experiences and memories of the day.

CallumLaidlaw
04-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Despite the 2012 final and the Malmo disaster, I struggle to view Pat in too much of a bad light. I'm glad that he still views the club in a positive manner.

For the phone in - did he enjoy working with Sparky? Were we ever close to signing him permanently?

hibsbollah
04-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Hi folks,

Cheers,
Craig

A quirky one for him. Did he receive a copy of Sun Tsu's book 'The Art of War', which I sent him through the post a week before the Scottish Cup Final along with a letter urging him on to victory?

Im kind of hoping he didn't read it, on the basis that maybe he followed some passages from it that contributed in a small way towards our humbling defeat :greengrin

Broken Gnome
04-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Despite the 2012 final and the Malmo disaster, I struggle to view Pat in too much of a bad light. I'm glad that he still views the club in a positive manner.

For the phone in - did he enjoy working with Sparky? Were we ever close to signing him permanently?

And did Leigh ever stick the nut on him, as alleged????

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2018, 05:03 PM
On reflection would you still not have played Wotherspoon in the finals?

Do you think there was too much of an over reliance on Sparky - should responsibility have been taken across the team?

Did Sparky’s Genius make it tricky for team cohesion ?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Was the low key approach for the biggest Edinburgh final - taking the team away - the right call?

supermcginn
04-01-2018, 05:06 PM
What was the thinking in signing vine, kujabi, Tudor Jones and Nelson among others?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Can’t recall but reckoned he kept his family back home.
I think the impact of this is underestimated esp when things on the park are tough how did he manage that?

Michael
04-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Just what did he say at halftime in the Falkirk semi?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Respect to Pat for the way he conducted himself when he knew time was up and his respect since leaving - could easily have a hell mend you stance. I really hoped it was going to work for him - would be interesting to see how he’d have faired under LDs stewardship.

majorhibs
04-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Does playing with 2 holding midfielders in front of a back 4 not just equate to starting every game as if you’ve already had a man sent off?

HoboHarry
04-01-2018, 05:50 PM
He told Leigh he wisnae getting his leg over that night if he didn't score.......

hibsbollah
04-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Does playing with 2 holding midfielders in front of a back 4 not just equate to starting every game as if you’ve already had a man sent off?

That's one of the most common formations in football :dunno: can't really bash him for that.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Favourite muppet? (Should be a standard interview question to settle the guest into the show ;))

Billy Whizz
04-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Why did he prefer Kujabi over Lewis

lyonhibs
04-01-2018, 08:06 PM

Eh no, as you demonstrably still have 11 men on the park.

I'd like to know what went so horribly wrong for the Malmö at home game. I mean, yes they had better players and were further into their season, which might explain a defeat but not THAT defeat.

marinello59
04-01-2018, 08:33 PM

Help?

majorhibs
04-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Eh no, as you demonstrably still have 11 men on the park.

I'd like to know what went so horribly wrong for the Malmö at home game. I mean, yes they had better players and were further into their season, which might explain a defeat but not THAT defeat.

Mebbe 2 X midfielders who want to sit back on to of your back 4 inviting the oppo onto you to attack & score as many as they wish? 2 X def mids in front of a back 4? Really?

Johnny_Leith
04-01-2018, 11:02 PM
How close were we to signing Claros and Griffiths permanently?

What was his take on the Gary Deegan incident and it's effects on his hibs career?

His opinion on the standard of officiating especially Griffiths ghost goal and Dundee utd pen at tannadice that was a foot outside the box.

Can he go in-depth about the pre cup final bonus row?

Why does he think it went so wrong for Alex Harris at Hibs after such a promising start?

What was his transfer policy in general at Hibs?

Stewboy
04-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Can you thank him for that hand gesture please!

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Mebbe 2 X midfielders who want to sit back on to of your back 4 inviting the oppo onto you to attack & score as many as they wish? 2 X def mids in front of a back 4? Really?Played by many teams across the world to this day.

Captain Trips
04-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Decent guy tried his best but IMO not a very good manager, way too many short term loan/signings of players some unfit and that was for me a major factor in what I felt was a poor side.

04-01-2018, 11:56 PM
If you were able to go back and have your time at Hibs again, what would you do differently?

Itsnoteasy
05-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Just listened to your Xmas day broadcast.
Good listen.
2 questions for the Hibs pundit in the studio.
1. As you stated you don't go to every game so how can you give an accurate assessment of Hibs.

2. You also stated you were in the Main Stand @ Tynecastle for a Hearts 6 Motherwell 0 match just b4 an Edinburgh derby.
I personally don't know of any right minded Hibby who would venture into enemy territory even for nowt unless the Hibees were playing.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Good listen.
1. As you stated you don't go to every game so how can you give an accurate assessment of Hibs.

2. You also stated you were in the Main Stand @ Tynecastle for a Hearts 6 Motherwell 0 match just b4 an Edinburgh derby.
I personally don't know of any right minded Hibby who would venture into enemy territory even for nowt unless the Hibees were playing.

1) so just like other pundits then?

2) not something I’d do but each to their own and didint the Jambos on the show also attend Hibs game - so they can comment as “independents” :) ?

calumhibee1
05-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Played by many teams across the world to this day.

Probably most notably Real Madrid. Kroos and Modric sit infront of the back 4 leaving the two wingers, the striker and the number 10 the freedom to express themselves and allowing both fullbacks to bomb on. A 4-2-3-1 formation.

easty
05-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Probably most notably Real Madrid. Kroos and Modric sit infront of the back 4 leaving the two wingers, the striker and the number 10 the freedom to express themselves and allowing both fullbacks to bomb on. A 4-2-3-1 formation.

Behave. That's not a comparison at all.

Heisenberg
05-01-2018, 07:43 AM
How much did Pat enjoy his day on 21/05/16? Was surprised to see him at the game!

givescotlandfreedom
05-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Was Matt Doherty always a total dick or did he save it for big occasions?

we are hibs
05-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Was it true Jorge Claros had agreed to join the club permanently before you left?

JimBHibees
05-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Sure it has been mentioned before however the notion of players squabbling about bonuses directly prior to one of the biggest games in the clubs history seems unfathomable. Would be good to get the full story of this as surely that should all have been agreed months previous.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Did he ever consider walking after the 1-5 game knowing how hard it would be to win the fans round?

Can he, with hindsight, pinpoint why his teams could be unspectacular, steady and downright dull a lot of the time, ocassionally break into great football (Leighs goal v Dundee Utd for example) and also lurch into utterly hopeless territory eg shipping 7 to Malmo, 5 to Hearts, 5 to Celtic? Was it the personnel available, the set up at the club, is that just football or did he set out a team to primarily be stuffy and hard to beat and the variances were the exceptions rather than the rule?

IGRIGI
05-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Did he believe we had a chance against Hearts in the final and what was the game plan?

hhibs
05-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Why did he not play the same team that played so well and hammered Dunfermline a few days before.?

Firestarter
05-01-2018, 12:06 PM

He said nothing.

Thanks Pat for the pint before we won the cup. Another event in such a surreal special day.

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Is it true that the club sent a “dossier” to the sfa prior to the 2012 final with examples of Craig Thomson’s bias against us in an attempt to get the apppoubtment changed?

rodhibs55
05-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Can you thank him for that hand gesture please!

Seconded.

Itsnoteasy
05-01-2018, 12:53 PM
1) so just like other pundits then?

2) not something I’d do but each to their own and didint the Jambos on the show also attend Hibs game - so they can comment as “independents” :) ?

This show is about Hibs & Hearts only. One guy supports them &the other lad supports Hibs.So unlike other pundits who will be told which games to cover & report on the match they have watched. So how can you have a weekly show about Hibs, talking about the Hibs team by a Hibs supporter, if the guy doesn't go every week to watch the Hibs.

CL0762
05-01-2018, 04:51 PM
Good listen.

I host the show when I haven’t been at the game so I’m not giving an ‘in person assessment’ and I also watch the full coverage of the game when available on Hibs TV so despite not actually being there, I still watch the games. Yes you see more actually at the game however I don’t think I miss too much by watching the ones on TV that I can’t make. If I wasn’t to comment on games I haven’t been to, then it would be a Hearts only show. Sometimes circumstances dictate when you can and can’t go and unfortunately this season has seen my own circumstances change to an extent where I’m not able to make it to as many games as I have for the past however many years. You’re more than welcome to come on the show yourself if you want to we’re always looking for new pundits 😊

On your second point, as it’s a show about Hibs & Hearts, it’s sometimes good to have an in person perspective on what the other team is doing (if time allows) so it means we can all bounce off each other. It’s not like I celebrate goals if and when they go in, also one of my mates is the mascot and required a hand with his suit etc so that’s primarily the reason I helped.

Itsnoteasy
05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I host the show when I haven’t been at the game so I’m not giving an ‘in person assessment’ and I also watch the full coverage of the game when available on Hibs TV so despite not actually being there, I still watch the games. Yes you see more actually at the game however I don’t think I miss too much by watching the ones on TV that I can’t make. If I wasn’t to comment on games I haven’t been to, then it would be a Hearts only show. Sometimes circumstances dictate when you can and can’t go and unfortunately this season has seen my own circumstances change to an extent where I’m not able to make it to as many games as I have for the past however many years. You’re more than welcome to come on the show yourself if you want to we’re always looking for new pundits 😊

On your second point, as it’s a show about Hibs & Hearts, it’s sometimes good to have an in person perspective on what the other team is doing (if time allows) so it means we can all bounce off each other. It’s not like I celebrate goals if and when they go in, also one of my mates is the mascot and required a hand with his suit etc so that’s primarily the reason I helped.

As previously stated I said it was a good show. I picked up on a couple of points that didn't sound right. Like yourself I don't see enough of Hibs to come onto your show to comment

stoneyburn hibs
05-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Would you take employment from Hibs in any capacity other than Manager/ First team coach?

Billychaotic182
05-01-2018, 08:57 PM
At the time Callum Booth was our greatest prospect, what made him loan him out twice when he was starting to establish himself in the hibs first team. He was certainly better than McGivern.

Second question, how close where we to signing Leigh, and if James Colin’s was just a panic buy due to missing out on sparky.

MWHIBBIES
05-01-2018, 09:02 PM
At the time Callum Booth was our greatest prospect, what made him loan him out twice when he was starting to establish himself in the hibs first team. He was certainly better than McGivern.

Second question, how close where we to signing Leigh, and if James Colin’s was just a panic buy due to missing out on sparky.
Wasnt better than McGivern who had a good loan spell here before signing. Booth was injured a lot and reportedly had problems off the park, his form and confidence disappeared before Fenlon came in.

Frazerbob
05-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Wasnt better than McGivern who had a good loan spell here before signing. Booth was injured a lot and reportedly had problems off the park, his form and confidence disappeared before Fenlon came in.

McGivern was good whilst on loan. After he signed a permanent deal however he became the worst waste of a jersey I’ve ever seen at Hibs. He epitomised everything that was wrong with our club in those dark days. Probably my most despised Hibs player ever, not something I say lightly.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Sure it has been mentioned before however the notion of players squabbling about bonuses directly prior to one of the biggest games in the clubs history seems unfathomable. Would be good to get the full story of this as surely that should all have been agreed months previous.

Think Stack confirmed that and shared his perspective (quite possibly in an earlier podcast of the show?)

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Think Stack confirmed that and shared his perspective (quite possibly in an earlier podcast of the show?)

Ian Murray was asked about it on last week’s podcast and he said it was a small amount of money and although there was a disagreement it was closed down quickly.

The Modfather
05-01-2018, 11:50 PM
What things would he do differently in hindsight?

Does he feel frustrated to have been here under Petrie’s amateur stewardship, and what does he feel he could have achieved if he has worked with Dempster instead?

CL0762
06-01-2018, 02:30 AM
Hi folks quick update.

Due to circumstances outwith our control, the interview with Pat has been moved to February.

Probably a good thing to allow me to prepare based on all the stuff that’s been asked plus my own questions I have for Pat!

Cheers

budgiemcb
06-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Craig, can you ask him about why Wotherspoon was left out of both cup final squads? Could never fathom those decisions out.

SirDavidsNapper
06-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Thank him for sorting out the shambles he inherited from Calderwood. Didn't work out for Pat but cant fault his effort and passion and will always be welcome at Easter Road.

IWasThere2016
11-01-2018, 05:36 AM
Let's not forget he had us beating Celtic and top of the SPL at one point. If he'd been able to turn the slump around and also replace LG's goals then we'd have seen him as a very good manager indeed.

Before LD came in so much of the club - scouting, youth development was a shambles and Pat was unfortunate in that respect.

Re: the phone in interview, I know he came across to spend 21st May 2016 with the fans. Would love to hear his experiences and memories of the day.

Was sitting near him on the great day .. he loved it!

hibs#1
11-01-2018, 03:26 PM
I liked Pat,shame it didn't work out for him but that's football was a weird time went fromsome great results and performances to utter abysmal performances and gubbings to just drab boring performances very strange time,however wish the guy all the best and genuinely think we would have stayed up that season if he stayed on till the end of the season.

Frazerbob
11-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Nice guy or not (and I think everyone agrees that he is), he should've been sacked within the hour of the final whistle of that final IMHO.

hibsboy69
11-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Didn't rate him as a manager. His signings were grim.

Nothing personal.

Jamesie
11-01-2018, 11:38 PM
Reading this thread brings back a lot of events I had clearly compartmentalised in my own mind and just makes me even more grateful for what we have these days - was all of this taking place really as recently as just over five years ago? Just emphasises how much we have come on leaps and bounds in that time.

RIP
12-01-2018, 07:01 AM
How satisfying is it that since then chat final Hibs have had the wee team in our back pocket?

Did he really think that an Irish manager could succeed at Hibs?

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Nice guy or not (and I think everyone agrees that he is), he should've been sacked within the hour of the final whistle of that final IMHO.The fact he done well next season and beat them twice shows we made the right decision.

People need to realise there comes a point where sacking managers is pointless and the club has bigger problems. Fenlon was not the problem at that time, he done a great job to have us anywhere near a final that season.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2018, 09:35 AM
The fact he done well next season and beat them twice shows we made the right decision.

People need to realise there comes a point where sacking managers is pointless and the club has bigger problems. Fenlon was not the problem at that time, he done a great job to have us anywhere near a final that season.

He was trying to run the team with both hands tied behind his back, loan after loan, a side that were very poor when he took over, he had us in and around the top 6 for most of his tenure.

That final was never winnable, although the way he set us up was a little surprising. Herts were financially doped to the roof, and of course that bent ref made sure we were ****ed before the game started.

Not the best manager we've ever had, but he did give it his best. The Malmo game was when he should have gone in my opinion, but of course teflon waited longer and then gave the job to another ****in clown.

SaulGoodman
12-01-2018, 09:39 AM
He was trying to run the team with both hands tied behind his back, loan after loan, a side that were very poor when he took over, he had us in and around the top 6 for most of his tenure.

That final was never winnable, although the way he set us up was a little surprising. Herts were financially doped to the roof, and of course that bent ref made sure we were ****ed before the game started.

Not the best manager we've ever had, but he did give it his best. The Malmo game was when he should have gone in my opinion, but of course teflon waited longer and then gave the job to another ****in clown.

"Teflon" gave the job to someone most folk were delighted with at the time.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2018, 09:42 AM
"Teflon" gave the job to someone most folk were delighted with at the time.

How did that turn out then?

What was the point in him appointing managers, when they should just have a fans poll?

SaulGoodman
12-01-2018, 09:43 AM
How did that turn out then?

What was the point in him appointing managers, when they should just have a fans poll?

It was smashing, for about two weeks.

We've appointed some shocking managers but I really thought Butcher was a good appointment at the time.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2018, 09:49 AM
It was smashing, for about two weeks.

We've appointed some shocking managers but I really thought Butcher was a good appointment at the time.

Due diligence is the least anyone in charge of Hibs should be doing when appointing a Hibs manager, all he had to do was look at his managerial record.

Inverness apart, he'd been a failure in Australia, England and Scotland. Sacked from club after club, but one bit of success in the highlands and all that was ignored.

Petrie appointed one dud after another, whether we the fans wanted them or not.

bigwheel
12-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Due diligence is the least anyone in charge of Hibs should be doing when appointing a Hibs manager, all he had to do was look at his managerial record.

Inverness apart, he'd been a failure in Australia, England and Scotland. Sacked from club after club, but one bit of success in the highlands and all that was ignored.

Petrie appointed one dud after another, whether we the fans wanted them or not.

The story I heard about the Butcher appointment was that, for this appointment, there was no due diligence and no alternatives considered. At a board meeting, one of the Directors (not Petrie)..put on the table that there was surely only one man for the job, Butcher. And that he had made an informal enquiry with his Agent which had been met with a warm response. As a result of the discussion that followed the whole board backed the approach and they went out and got him...

Hopefully a process never to be repeated

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2018, 10:00 AM
The story I heard about the Butcher appointment was that, for this appointment, there was no due diligence and no alternatives considered. At a board meeting, one of the Directors (not Petrie)..put on the table that there was surely only one man for the job, Butcher. And that he had made an informal enquiry with his Agent which had been met with a warm response. As a result of the discussion that followed the whole board backed the approach and they went out and got him...

Hopefully a process never to be repeated

That about summed our club up at the time.

Beefster
12-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Nice guy or not (and I think everyone agrees that he is), he should've been sacked within the hour of the final whistle of that final IMHO.

Agreed. Being a nice guy is great for his missus and mates but means the square root of hee-haw as to his performance as Hibs manager.