PDA

View Full Version : No wonder the national team is useless

Ozyhibby
03-01-2018, 02:28 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/number-of-scots-playing-in-scottish-premiership-in-decline-1-4652635

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarlingtonHibee
03-01-2018, 02:32 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/number-of-scots-playing-in-scottish-premiership-in-decline-1-4652635

Sad to say it, but don't care about the national team. Growing up was one of the highlights of the year.

Peevemor
03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Sad to say it, but don't care about the national team. Growing up was one of the highlights of the year.

Given your age, it's not before time. :greengrin

MyJo
03-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I think what they are trying to say is that there aren't enough scottish players playing for the old firm.

Hibs are doing just fine with 70% of our squad (including loanees) being scottish and of the 18 scottish players we have half of them were developed through our youth teams.

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2018, 04:57 PM
The percentage of Scottish players in the Scottish top-flight isn't the issue, it's the technical ability of Scottish players (and perhaps the mindset of some).

Post-Bosman, Scottish players have had the same freedom as all the non-Scots here, to play top-flight football in any European league. It seems like too many aren't wanted, or don't want to. That to me suggests why the national team is in decline.

hibbyfraelibby
03-01-2018, 05:03 PM
The National Team is bowfin' because they continually play players who spend their time bench warming in England or the Old Firm rather than actually playing football.

Not in the starting XI 80% of the time you shouldnt be picked.

DarlingtonHibee
03-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Given your age, it's not before time. :greengrin

Hey, steady meant to be seasons greetings, lol!!

marinello59
03-01-2018, 05:10 PM
The percentage of Scottish players in the Scottish top-flight isn't the issue, it's the technical ability of Scottish players (and perhaps the mindset of some).

Post-Bosman, Scottish players have had the same freedom as all the non-Scots here, to play top-flight football in any European league. It seems like too many aren't wanted, or don't want to. That to me suggests why the national team is in decline.

Spot on.

1van Sprou7e
03-01-2018, 05:10 PM
This isn't why the national team is useless, the trend is basically the same in every league

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/29/upshot/internationalization-of-pro-sports-leagues-premier-league.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2F upshot&action=click&contentCollection=upshot&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront

judas
03-01-2018, 05:16 PM
As usual, everyone is miles out when attempting to diagnose the problem with our national side when the answer is fairly obvious.

When I was growing up, the squad always had a nucleus of players with moustaches. The tache should be mandatory for any player wanting to earn a cap

HoboHarry
03-01-2018, 05:18 PM
As usual, everyone is miles out when attempting to diagnose the problem with our national side when the answer is fairly obvious.

When I was growing up, the squad always had a nucleus of players with moustaches. The tache should be mandatory for any player wanting to earn a cap
What about the ladies team? Same moustache requirement for them anaw?

Golden Bear
03-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Sadly the same could be said for Scottish sport in general. Not enough participation from the young whippersnappers these days.

Frae

Auld grumpy drawers.

:tin hat:

Keith_M
03-01-2018, 05:28 PM

That's very dangerous territory you've entered.

;-)

seanshow
03-01-2018, 05:31 PM

your leaving a dangerous open goal to the .net pun posse with a statement like that.

seanshow
03-01-2018, 05:32 PM
great minds think alike Keek lol

HoboHarry
03-01-2018, 05:34 PM
your leaving a dangerous open goal to the .net pun posse with a statement like that.
I confess to be being one of that particular posse....... :greengrin

leithsansiro
03-01-2018, 05:43 PM
The lack of Scots ;and British players in general) playing abroad is, in my opinion, a major reason why we've fallen behind other countries. Players exposing themselves to other cultures, training techniques, standards, etc would all have a great benefit to the national game. Sadly, we still live in the dark ages compared to so-called lesser countries like Slovakia or Slovenia, both of whom probably have "weaker" domestic leagues but produce players who regularly go abroad to learn in Germany, France and Italy. Too many of our young guys would rather loiter here and see England as being moving abroad. Just for arguemfnts sake, I think that SJM would develop into a much better player when he moves by going to another European league rather than to England or Celtic.

hibbyfraelibby
03-01-2018, 06:02 PM

What about the Brazilian Ladies team?

HoboHarry
03-01-2018, 06:04 PM
I would pay to watch that - might even go the extra mile and get myself looking tidy by shaving.........

Tyler Durden
03-01-2018, 06:15 PM

A 5% drop in 17 years - doesn't really merit discussion does it?

Never mind describing it as a sharp decline!

Speedy
03-01-2018, 07:03 PM
The lack of Scots ;and British players in general) playing abroad is, in my opinion, a major reason why we've fallen behind other countries. Players exposing themselves to other cultures, training techniques, standards, etc would all have a great benefit to the national game. Sadly, we still live in the dark ages compared to so-called lesser countries like Slovakia or Slovenia, both of whom probably have "weaker" domestic leagues but produce players who regularly go abroad to learn in Germany, France and Italy. Too many of our young guys would rather loiter here and see England as being moving abroad. Just for arguemfnts sake, I think that SJM would develop into a much better player when he moves by going to another European league rather than to England or Celtic.

Language is a big part of it, we're terrible at it is as a nation.

It's not just footballers that travel less than other countries.

That said, you can see language playing a part in other leagues as well (lots of Brazilians playing in Portugal, Argentinians in Spain, Africans in France).

Sammy7nil
03-01-2018, 07:53 PM

You mean they don't? No wonder we are no good.

jgl07
04-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Language is a big part of it, we're terrible at it is as a nation.

It's not just footballers that travel less than other countries.

That said, you can see language playing a part in other leagues as well (lots of Brazilians playing in Portugal, Argentinians in Spain, Africans in France).

Also passports are an issue. Most Brazilians appear to be able to get a Portuguese passport (and some a Spanish one) just as many Argentinians can get an Italian passport. Also the French seem happy to issue passports to residents of former French colonies and sometimes to residents of countries such as Ghana.

That avoids the hassle of having to get a work permit.

GreenLake
04-01-2018, 12:12 PM

They always have a nice strip.

worcesterhibby
04-01-2018, 12:21 PM
They always have a nice strip.

CUMB

(that is the honest version of LOL it stands for "Chuckled under my breath")

KWJ
04-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Surprised that it's gone down and at lowest point when you consider our team through the 00's to now. I'd guess many more are now playing through each teams youth set up.