PDA

View Full Version : Concession checking

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Normally, I am happy with the service the Ticket Office provides, but I'm getting a bit grumpy with them this season.

For Saturday's game, we had a family outing, which involved 5 of us from various parts of the country; 4 are students. I ordered the tickets online, and received an e-mail asking to see proof of student status. I told them that the earliest I could get that to them would be the day of the game, so could I just collect the tickets then? No problem, they said.

So I rocked up to the TO on Saturday, with 4 cards. However, initially, I was handed the tickets without being asked for the cards. It was only after my prompting that the staff member asked to see them. Even at that, she just looked at the cards, without asking to see the people to whom they belonged.

This is the 3rd or 4th time this season that I have been asked to collect tickets, in order to show ID, and not been asked for said ID when I collected them. It's particularly frustrating when this happens, as it means my turning up early for no reason.

Given the past discussions on here about the potential fraudulent use of Concession status, it's troubling that the club don't seem to have tightened up their procedures much.

Or have they? What is the experience of others?

Keith_M
02-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I personally haven't seen any evidence of checking concession tickets at the turnstiles, though I've only been in the West and South this season.

Considering you just swipe a card, with nobody looking at it, it's open to fraud.

danhibees1875
02-01-2018, 07:21 PM
I personally haven't seen any evidence of checking concession tickets at the turnstiles, though I've only been in the West and South this season.

Considering you just swipe a card, with nobody looking at it, it's open to fraud.

At the start of the season I had mine checked to make it sure it was an adult one on the outside of the east.

There should also be stewards inside monitoring the lights above turnstiles which will flash a different colour if someone uses a concession ticket - I would imagine they are under instructions to check anyone that doesn't look like a concession.

MyJo
02-01-2018, 07:23 PM

There is a wee light above each turnstyle that goes on whenever anyone scans in, if its an adult ticket it lights up green, if its a child/concession ticket it lights up Amber.

There will be stewards watching for adults coming through with an amber light and if there is suspicion they are using a child/concession ticket incorrectly they will be checked.

Keith_M
02-01-2018, 07:29 PM
There is a wee light above each turnstyle that goes on whenever anyone scans in, if its an adult ticket it lights up green, if its a child/concession ticket it lights up Amber.

There will be stewards watching for adults coming through with an amber light and if there is suspicion they are using a child/concession ticket incorrectly they will be checked.

OK, cheers.

I've never seen them inside the turnstyles for the West Upper, south end, but maybe they're deployed elsewhere.

Forza Fred
02-01-2018, 07:31 PM
There is 'cost of control' factor involved in all such schemes

Action is usually taken when it it shown to be an increasing problem, or something...like a public outcry of some degree emerges.

Otherwise, and while only happening at what are considered 'tolerable' levels of misuse, it will continue.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 07:34 PM
There is 'cost of control' factor involved in all such schemes

Action is usually taken when it it shown to be an increasing problem, or something...like a public outcry of some degree emerges.

Otherwise, and while only happening at what are considered 'tolerable' levels of misuse, it will continue.

That doesn't, though, excuse them demanding that I turn up to show the cards, and then not check them. And, even when they do, not ask to see the owners of the cards.

I've emailed the TO to get their take on it.

Big_Franck
02-01-2018, 07:36 PM
OK, cheers.

I've never seen them inside the turnstyles for the West Upper, south end, but maybe they're deployed elsewhere.

They are in the East. I've often seen stewards standing on the other side of the turnstiles, I presume checking the lights and the fans passing through.

Maybe the club just trust those in the posh seats of the West Upper more than us East stand punters :greengrin

greenlex
02-01-2018, 07:45 PM
That doesn't, though, excuse them demanding that I turn up to show the cards, and then not check them. And, even when they do, not ask to see the owners of the cards.

Could be as simple to deter folk from abusing it. You highlighting they don’t actually check when you pick them up might have just scupoered that threat to deter abuse.😁

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2018, 07:47 PM
They are in the East. I've often seen stewards standing on the other side of the turnstiles, I presume checking the lights and the fans passing through.

Maybe the club just trust those in the posh seats of the West Upper more than us East stand punters :greengrin

There is always a steward inside at West Upper South end turnstiles.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Could be as simple to deter folk from abusing it. You highlighting they don’t actually check when you pick them up might have just scupoered that threat to deter abuse.😁

There was a note on the envelope, in capital letters, "4 STUDENT ID TO BE CHECKED" :greengrin

hibbysam
02-01-2018, 07:51 PM
I got a student ticket for the rangers midweek game. Bought it on the day of the game, printed it out and walked in without any comment. Seems to be a lot of inconsistency around ticketing.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
I got a student ticket for the rangers midweek game. Bought it on the day of the game, printed it out and walked in without any comment. Seems to be a lot of inconsistency around ticketing.

Are you a student?

Stantons Angel
02-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Did you book the tickets in the individual students names or in your own name on behalf of the student?

I had an experience with picking up a student ticket for a young friend of mine for a recent game.

The girl took the student card in his name and looked at the name on the envelope, which was mine and rightfully queried it.

I explained that i had booked it for a friend and knew i had to pick it up at the office prior to the game with the valid student ID.

She was not having any of it and kept insisting that i have the ticket cancelled and upgrade to a full adult ticket even though i had the valid id with me.

A slight disagreement occurred with me eventually asking to speak to the manager. She insisted that she speak with her and returned to reluctantly give me the ticket saying as i was a season ticket holder id have my own seat and this was for someone else who was a student??????{ good thinking)

Im usually quite patient with people who query me on something and try to take my time in explaining the issue but this was a wee bitty confusing to say the least...This is what i had been telling her right from the start.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Didn't think you could print at home for student tickets anymore?

Sir David Gray
02-01-2018, 08:02 PM

You can't.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 08:03 PM

I was able to do it once quite recently. (For a game in November.)They asked me to send in a photo of my son's student ID.

Again, though, that's daft. There's no proof that I was buying it for him.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I was able to do it once quite recently. They asked me to send in a photo of my son's student ID.

Again, though, that's daft. There's no proof that I was buying it for him.

You could do until arkund season before last I'd say, know people who did it for years but had to start paying the proper price.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 08:09 PM
You could do until arkund season before last I'd say, know people who did it for years but had to start paying the proper price.

Just checked, and I did it for the Dundee game on the 4th November.

Edit... that's crap. I ordered it online, they asked for me to email a copy of the ID, and they sent the tickets to me.

Point stands, though; they can't know who is using the ticket.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Just checked, and I did it for the Dundee game on the 4th November.

Looks like they've opened it up to abuse again then.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Looks like they've opened it up to abuse again then.

Just checked again :greengrin

Did it for the Motherwell, Sunderland and Hearts games.

For Thistle and Hamilton I was asked to collect, and no ID was asked for.

hibbysam
02-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Are you a student?

Of course. Hence why I bought a student ticket.

hibbysam
02-01-2018, 08:42 PM

Nor did I, I presumed I would have to go and collect that night. Email was sent as usual and print at home ticket used.

Golden Bear
02-01-2018, 08:46 PM
There is always a steward inside at West Upper South end turnstiles.

And at the West Upper North End. It's very disappointing that my concessionary season ticket has not been çhecked!

Speedy
02-01-2018, 08:56 PM

It's a pain in the arse but is somewhat or a deterent in itself.

famousfife
02-01-2018, 09:23 PM
I went down to my local off-licence to get a few beers yesterday! Totally disgusted that I wasn’t Asked for I’d as I’m only 17, totally devastated so I was walking away with my carry out.

madabouthibs
02-01-2018, 10:31 PM
I showed my lads student card just the once a couple of games into the season, and asked that they note it on the database against his name/number. The guy took the card away for a couple of minutes to note the details, and my lad can now have his tickets posted for this season, although it's still not possible to "print at home".

Cabbage East
04-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Just how do you get your shirt so clean?

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2018, 09:30 AM
I've never seen anybody being pulled up going through the turnstiles (West lower) since they introduced the traffic light system.

overdrive
04-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Have they done away with the specific concessions gates in the other stands as well as the FF Upper this season? I guess that would make the traffic light system more difficult to manage.

Since90+2
04-01-2018, 10:17 AM
I've never seen anyone pulled for it either in the East.

The turnstiles are manned by Stewards who alot of the time are female and/or young folk being paid minimum wage so I would imagine they might just turn a blind eye rather than risk a confrontation with a fan if they did notice something untoward.

Golden Bear
04-01-2018, 10:56 AM
I've never seen anybody being pulled up going through the turnstiles (West lower) since they introduced the traffic light system.

Traffic light system? At the turnstiles?

:dunno:

MyJo
04-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Have they done away with the specific concessions gates in the other stands as well as the FF Upper this season? I guess that would make the traffic light system more difficult to manage.

In the east kids tickets have to go through the middle group of turnstyles only, all others are adults only as far as i am aware.

It means there is only about 8 or so turnstyles to monitor for kids tickets being used.

hibsbollah
04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
I know à guy in his mid twenties, over 6 foot and has always bought a concession and never been pulled up. Completely selfish.

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2018, 11:08 AM

Flashing light, disco light, call it what you want.

overdrive
04-01-2018, 11:13 AM
I know à guy in his mid twenties, over 6 foot and has always bought a concession and never been pulled up. Completely selfish.

Is he a full-time student though?

Hibee87
04-01-2018, 11:23 AM

When you scan your ticket there is a light system at the turnstyles inside the stand that the stewards are meant to be watching. Green is ok adult. Amber is a concession and red means there is a problem and the steward should come and see you afaik

Golden Bear
04-01-2018, 12:42 PM
When you scan your ticket there is a light system at the turnstyles inside the stand that the stewards are meant to be watching. Green is ok adult. Amber is a concession and red means there is a problem and the steward should come and see you afaik

There we go then, that shows you how observant I am!

Keith_M
04-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Me neither, and I know one person that definitely uses a concession ticket regularly, despite not qualifying, which kinda proves it's not working.

Before anybody asks: yes, I already have pulled them up about it, regularly.

DH1875
04-01-2018, 01:29 PM
I know someone who used a student season ticket for a whole season when he was no longer a student. He simply renewed his season ticket in May using his student ID at the time and was never asked for it again. Used the season ticket the following season despite no longer being a student is what I'm saying.

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2018, 03:18 PM
I've never seen anyone pulled for it either in the East.

The turnstiles are manned by Stewards who alot of the time are female and/or young folk being paid minimum wage so I would imagine they might just turn a blind eye rather than risk a confrontation with a fan if they did notice something untoward.

Why is the wage they earn relevant to them doing the job they are paid and employed to do?

It's a bug bear of mine that people are referred to as "earning minimum wage" it's like they are being classed as idiots who can't do a job.
Plenty of very clever and able people do jobs that pay the minimum wage for a variety of reasons.

JohnM1875
04-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Why is the wage they earn relevant to them doing the job they are paid and employed to do?

It's a bug bear of mine that people are referred to as "earning minimum wage" it's like they are being classed as idiots who can't do a job.
Plenty of very clever and able people do jobs that pay the minimum wage for a variety of reasons.

I think you know the point he’s trying to make though?

The stewards are probably doing a job they don’t particularly enjoy or want to do but are doing so for the bare minimum. And, because of that, they don’t feel the need to make their shift any more unbareable by confronting a stranger.

CropleyWasGod
04-01-2018, 03:46 PM

In my situation, there were 4 students. 1 aged 25, 1 28, 1 35 and 1 58. There wasn't a single challenge.

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2018, 04:59 PM
I think you know the point he’s trying to make though?

The stewards are probably doing a job they don’t particularly enjoy or want to do but are doing so for the bare minimum. And, because of that, they don’t feel the need to make their shift any more unbareable by confronting a stranger.

No I don't and I disagree with that description you have given of someone doing a stewards job being some kind of uncaring not bothered ****wit.

JohnM1875
04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
No I don't and I disagree with that description you have given of someone doing a stewards job being some kind of uncaring not bothered ****wit.

What are you on about? I said they probably didn't particularly enjoy their job and didn't want to make their shift worse by having an argument with a stranger entering a turnstile. Don't see how that makes them "uncaring not bothered ****wit"?

lapsedhibee
04-01-2018, 05:37 PM

In my situation, there were 4 students. 1 aged 25, 1 28, 1 35 and 1 58. There wasn't a single challenge.

Were they all over 6 foot? :dunno:

hibsbollah
04-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Is he a full-time student though?

Sorry, I misunderstood concession. What he actually does is buys a child's ticket, which has never been checked. I should probably read the thread first!

Since90+2
04-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Nobody has described a steward as that. You've missed the point completely.

overdrive
04-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood concession. What he actually does is buys a child's ticket, which has never been checked. I should probably read the thread first!

That’s really poor show.

hibsbollah
04-01-2018, 06:39 PM
That’s really poor show.

it sure is. he gave me a lengthy rant once about why we werent in a position to afford better players.:rolleyes: