PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Winter friendly: taxi share

BigT-Hibeez
02-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Anyone flying out to Faro from Edinburgh on the 9th? And then heading straight to Villa Real De Santo?

Looking for a taxi share as return transfers are being quoted at £100 plus

There is only one flight from Edinburgh so if you're flying then it will be the same flight..

Flying back the following Tuesday

Cheers

Phil MaGlass
02-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Car rental might be cheaper

BigT-Hibeez
02-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Car rental might be cheaper

I hate driving abroad!! Interferes with my drinking..

degenerated
02-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Don't get the wee ferry over the Spain then [emoji16] I was sitting in villa real drinking beer at a euro a pint whilst 'er indoors lounged at the pool. Had the bright idea of going to Spain for a pint and it was 6 euros. Swiftly returned to Portugal after 1 pint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BigT-Hibeez
02-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Don't get the wee ferry over the Spain then [emoji16] I was sitting in villa real drinking beer at a euro a pint whilst 'er indoors lounged at the pool. Had the bright idea of going to Spain for a pint and it was 6 euros. Swiftly returned to Portugal after 1 pint.

1 euro a pint!! Happy days!!

JohnMcM
02-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Cheaper alternative here.

http://www.algarvebus.info/015.htm

BigT-Hibeez
02-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Cheaper alternative here.

http://www.algarvebus.info/015.htm

Flight doesn't get in til after the last bus leaves unfortunately, there is a train I can make and it's only 4 Euros.. Just prefer to get straight out the airport and to the hotel

Thanks for that

degenerated
02-01-2018, 08:52 PM
1 euro a pint!! Happy days!!That was 5 or 6 years ago.

That said had mentioned to a guy at work about a place in albufeira that was a euro a pint last time I was there. That 2011 and he confirmed it still was a euro last summer - so you might be lucky [emoji16]

hibee
02-01-2018, 10:39 PM
I’ve used Hoppa to book several transfers, just looked and they’re quoting £30.75 for the return bus trip.

https://www.hoppa.com/en

BigT-Hibeez
03-01-2018, 09:42 AM
I’ve used Hoppa to book several transfers, just looked and they’re quoting £30.75 for the return bus trip.

I'll keep that as an option, wait and see if anyone turns up on the same flight..

Thanks

overdrive
03-01-2018, 10:42 AM

We were in Portugal twice during the summer/autumn, once in the wider region around Lisbon and the Atlantic coast for my sister in law’s wedding and then in the Algarve for a holiday with friends.

At Lisbon airport, we got an Uber as most of the trip advisor reviews now state they are the most reliable form of airport transport. It was great and we used it several times on the trip and it was quick and cheap with great service. For the transfer it was half the price of the quote for both a taxi and a Hoppa transfer (my in laws had been a few times in the run up to the wedding and had recommended Hoppa as they did not know Uber operated there).

We had initially assumed we could get an Uber at Faro but a bit of research told us it isn’t really a thing there. We looked into a taxi and private Hoppa which were about the same price and eventually booked a shared Hoppa.

We wish we had stumped up for a taxi. The confirmation email says the bus will pick you up no more than 45 mins after checking in at the Hoppa partner desk. Our flight arrived early so when we checked in, they said it would be 45 mins from half an hour after the scheduled landing time of our flight. This came and went. We were waiting for the best part of 2 hours for the ‘bus’ to be ready. In fact it was a car as it was just us and a German lady (the driver had the cheek to complain about the German lady walking too slow to the car as well).

Coming back, 10 minutes after the scheduled pick up time, a guy from the hotel we were getting picked up outside from cane out to tell us that Green Bus (the Hoppa partner) had phoned to say they would be at least 45 minutes late. It ended up being an hour late and we were OK as we didn’t have checked in luggage. We would have been pushing it otherwise. The driver was a lunatic, probably in part because he was late, but his general demeanour was manic.

Also watch with some of the ‘cheap’ car hire companies at Faro. Our friends arrived bed a day earlier than us and got a car. They were there for two hours as they refused the car they were given as it looked a death trap. There was no actual interior to the car, just more or less the metal frame with some seats. When they googled the car, they found it was banned in the UK. They also got stung with a load of extra charges that they had to pay before they were allowed to leave, despite the booking saying there would be no extra charges.

BigT-Hibeez
03-01-2018, 11:53 AM
We were in Portugal twice during the summer/autumn, once in the wider region around Lisbon and the Atlantic coast for my sister in law’s wedding and then in the Algarve for a holiday with friends.

At Lisbon airport, we got an Uber as most of the trip advisor reviews now state they are the most reliable form of airport transport. It was great and we used it several times on the trip and it was quick and cheap with great service. For the transfer it was half the price of the quote for both a taxi and a Hoppa transfer (my in laws had been a few times in the run up to the wedding and had recommended Hoppa as they did not know Uber operated there).

We had initially assumed we could get an Uber at Faro but a bit of research told us it isn’t really a thing there. We looked into a taxi and private Hoppa which were about the same price and eventually booked a shared Hoppa.

We wish we had stumped up for a taxi. The confirmation email says the bus will pick you up no more than 45 mins after checking in at the Hoppa partner desk. Our flight arrived early so when we checked in, they said it would be 45 mins from half an hour after the scheduled landing time of our flight. This came and went. We were waiting for the best part of 2 hours for the ‘bus’ to be ready. In fact it was a car as it was just us and a German lady (the driver had the cheek to complain about the German lady walking too slow to the car as well).

Coming back, 10 minutes after the scheduled pick up time, a guy from the hotel we were getting picked up outside from cane out to tell us that Green Bus (the Hoppa partner) had phoned to say they would be at least 45 minutes late. It ended up being an hour late and we were OK as we didn’t have checked in luggage. We would have been pushing it otherwise. The driver was a lunatic, probably in part because he was late, but his general demeanour was manic.

Also watch with some of the ‘cheap’ car hire companies at Faro. Our friends arrived bed a day earlier than us and got a car. They were there for two hours as they refused the car they were given as it looked a death trap. There was no actual interior to the car, just more or less the metal frame with some seats. When they googled the car, they found it was banned in the UK. They also got stung with a load of extra charges that they had to pay before they were allowed to leave, despite the booking saying there would be no extra charges.

Horror story!!!

I've had a few of these, especially mental drivers!!! Not fun..

I'll hold out to see if anyone pops up willing to share a cab, otherwise i might get a cab to the train station and catch the last train.. What could possibly go wrong!!!