PDA

View Full Version : Strained relationship in Perth? Winter Breaks?

02-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Always thought St Johnstone Managers and their Chairmen got on well and that was key in their over achieving year on year.Looks like Tommy Wright having a good old dig at Steve Brown. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42535901 Everything coming out of Tommy Wright these days points to his days in Perth being numbered.I know Hibs are off to the Med for some warm weather training - anybody any ideas what other clubs are up to?

Billy Whizz
02-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Hearts are going to spain, Celtic to Dubai, and Rangers to Florida
Not sure about Aberdeen

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Saw that.

Good man management imo.
Things are tight so they can’t go overseas - separate the business decision from the footie decision. The good manager sides with his team (whilst I’d imagine explaining the stance with Brown - good cop / bad cop stylee)

dp00
02-01-2018, 05:01 PM
How much does it cost a club to go away to these places ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
02-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Not a lot. I’m going away to Malaga in 12 days time, and it’s £55 return, without luggage
Party of 30 in a decent hotel will be around £15, plus park here etc

lord bunberry
02-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Always thought St Johnstone Managers and their Chairmen got on well and that was key in their over achieving year on year.Looks like Tommy Wright having a good old dig at Steve Brown. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42535901 Everything coming out of Tommy Wright these days points to his days in Perth being numbered.I know Hibs are off to the Med for some warm weather training - anybody any ideas what other clubs are up to?

Portugal isn’t on the Med :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-01-2018, 05:09 PM

How longs a piece of string? I'd guess what Real Madrid spend on a trip abroad differs from what Celtic spend whicb will be above what Hins will spend.

Will all be relative to the quality of facilities, hotel, number of staff travellimg, class on a flight (or clubs private jet) and various other factors.

02-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Portugal isn’t on the Med :greengrinOh no! I've been found out by the holiday Police.

Firestarter
02-01-2018, 05:12 PM
He's acting like Yogi before his ict departure. He should remember where Yogi is now.

lord bunberry
02-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Oh no! I've been found out by the holiday Police.

Just a warning this time :greengrin

02-01-2018, 05:13 PM
He's acting like Yogi before his ict departure. He should remember where Yogi is now.That's what I was thinking. Wright is acting like a huffy teenager.

02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
Just a warning this time :greengrinYellow card accepted.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2018, 05:16 PM
The BBC call it a trip but the manager talks about it in terms of benefit to the team. Given that the winter break has to be planned for this must be old news as it would have been in the ops budget? Either that or the Chairman has said you can have a week in the sun dependant on where the team is in the league.

Callyballybe
02-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Admittedly it's a reaction we don't normally see from Wright. He usually comes across quite understanding with regards to the clubs financial constraints, whilst at the same time not using it as an excuse for everything that goes wrong, like a certain ex Falkirk manager....

Could come to nothing but might be worth 'watching this space'. Possibly Wright nearing the end of his tether? Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer with St Johnstone manager wise.

CMurdoch
02-01-2018, 05:38 PM
It would surprise me if any team outside the top 5 are going abroad given the majority of a clubs money comes from season tickets and walk ups.

5th best supported team Aberdeen are averaging 15,600 supporters at home games whereas
6th best supported team Dundee are only averaging 6,400 supporters at home games
Tommy Wright's St Johnstone are way back at 4,650, hence no sunny getaway

Topographic Hibby
02-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Thinking back to 2016, in the run-up to the League Cup Final, we went to an overseas training camp. Ross County didn’t.

In the run-up to 21/5, we were run-off our feet with games and didn’t go abroad.

We know which cup we won and yes, we should have won two......!!

Just sayin’......

macca70
02-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Some Hibs players in Dubai, they must have some free time before Portugal

silverhibee
02-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Some Hibs players in Dubai, they must have some free time before Portugal

Celtc had some spare seats on there flight. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Thinking back to 2016, in the run-up to the League Cup Final, we went to an overseas training camp. Ross County didn’t.

In the run-up to 21/5, we were run-off our feet with games and didn’t go abroad.

We know which cup we won and yes, we should have won two......!!

Just sayin’......

And JC took us away before the CIS Cup no?
Pat before 2012.

I think it’s too simplistic. I think mibbie best as left to a case by case call?

Ross County can’t really comment as it was my boys birthday so was tending to things whilst try to get a decent mobile reception.
Sometimes it’s down to the “football gods” ie those moments that could go either way.

Happy NY

tamig
02-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Not a lot. I’m going away to Malaga in 12 days time, and it’s £55 return, without luggage

50p a head? I’m in!

Famous Fiver
02-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I'm sure I heard a song which tells me Hearts go to Butlin's. I believe it wholeheartedly.

What's this European p*sh?

hibbymick
02-01-2018, 09:37 PM
He's acting like Yogi before his ict departure. He should remember where Yogi is now.

Im pretty certain Malky Mckay has got Yogi a job.

jgl07
02-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Rangers went for. tramp in the woods today as part of their new training regime.

The tramp died!

kaimendhibs
03-01-2018, 02:10 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk11 quid

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Walter
03-01-2018, 06:33 AM
I don’t understand the benefit of training in the sun to come back and play in the winter

MKHIBEE
03-01-2018, 06:54 AM
I don’t understand the benefit of training in the sun to come back and play in the winter

Send them to Siberia, they will think it’s summer when they get back home.

Canon Hannan
03-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Teams are on holiday this week. Back on Monday to either Portugal or Perth 😂

calumhibee1
03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

The players will enjoy it more, chance for a bit team bonding, a welcome bit of sun etc. They’re not going to be away long enough to acclimatise to the heat so presuming it can be afforded I can’t really see any down sides.

Firestarter
03-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Im pretty certain Malky Mckay has got Yogi a job.

Thanks for that Mick, didn't know that.

Firestarter
03-01-2018, 09:16 AM

They will get the benefits of full undestrurbed training and team together for the week in brilliant climates to refresh the batteries.

HoboHarry
03-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Send them to Siberia, they will think it’s summer when they get back home.
Lol.......:top marks

NAE NOOKIE
03-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Considering the poor backing St Johnstone get from the good people of Perthshire its a wonder they can stay full time, never mind spring for warm weather training camps.

I dare say there are benefits, but it would be interesting to see stats on how that translates to performance on the park in the weeks after teams come home. I cant say I'm convinced the benefits outweigh the cost as much as Tommy Wright seems to think.

When it comes to Hibs I cant help thinking investment in a full sized indoor pitch would be money better spent, something which is on our agenda if LD's comments earlier this season are anything to go by.

SirDavidsNapper
03-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Considering the poor backing St Johnstone get from the good people of Perthshire its a wonder they can stay full time, never mind spring for warm weather training camps.

I dare say there are benefits, but it would be interesting to see stats on how that translates to performance on the park in the weeks after teams come home. I cant say I'm convinced the benefits outweigh the cost as much as Tommy Wright seems to think.

When it comes to Hibs I cant help thinking investment in a full sized indoor pitch would be money better spent, something which is on our agenda if LD's comments earlier this season are anything to go by.

Completely agree. I get nervous when i think of Hibs going to sunny training camps. Our record after training in La Manga was atrocious. Id feel more comfortable if the players were at East Mains but then i guess the sports scientists etc will know better than me!

therealgavmac
03-01-2018, 03:08 PM
11 quid

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nah...... everything’s forty quid.........

GreenLake
03-01-2018, 04:18 PM

That would cover me getting back and from LAX

StevieC
03-01-2018, 05:21 PM

I don't get the regular digs at the attendances of some of the "smaller" teams. The "good people of Perth" actually back their team better than some of the "big" teams.

If you do a rough analysis of city population to average home attendances (excluding Glasgow teams) it provides the following figures ...

Percentage of population that attend local football matches..
Motherwell 14%
Kilmarnock 11%
St Johnstone 10%
Dundee/Dundee Utd 10%
Inverness 8.5%
Hibs/Hearts 8%
Aberdeen 6.5%
Hamilton 4.7%

Allant1981
03-01-2018, 07:50 PM

training in the sun leads to better cardio fitness, its been spoken about also that training in the heat actually helps you train in the cold

CMurdoch
03-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I don't get the regular digs at the attendances of some of the "smaller" teams. The "good people of Perth" actually back their team better than some of the "big" teams.

If you do a rough analysis of city population to average home attendances (excluding Glasgow teams) it provides the following figures ...

Percentage of population that attend local football matches..
Motherwell 14%
Kilmarnock 11%
St Johnstone 10%
Dundee/Dundee Utd 10%
Inverness 8.5%
Hibs/Hearts 8%
Aberdeen 6.5%
Hamilton 4.7%

Good stats Stevie.
They need to put roadblocks up around Hamilton to stop glory hunters leaving for matches elsewhere!