PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

Hibbyradge
01-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Seriously?

iwasthere1972
01-01-2018, 07:03 PM
I remember when they started wearing a type of scarf a few years ago. That was quickly kicked into touch.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 07:13 PM
I remember when they started wearing a type of scarf a few years ago. That was quickly kicked into touch.

Snoods. They were banned for being 'dangerous' and 'not part of the proper equipment'.

Personally I've no issue with players wearing gloves. I wear gloves when I'm out running at this time of year. It's cold.

iwasthere1972
01-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Snoods. They were banned for being 'dangerous' and 'not part of the proper equipment'.

Personally I've no issue with players wearing gloves. I wear gloves when I'm out running at this time of year. It's cold.

Snoods :aok:

SChibs
01-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Don't get the problem with gloves myself. If your hands get cold then wear gloves, what's the issue?

John_R_Corbett
01-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Don't remember seeing football player wearing gloves 25-30 years ago ( or maybe I just never noticed) and we had colder weather back then than we get now. Just patter.

Billy Whizz
01-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Don't remember seeing football player wearing gloves 25-30 years ago ( or maybe I just never noticed) and we had colder weather back then than we get now. Just patter.

Probably sponsored by a gloves company

Green Man
01-01-2018, 07:54 PM
I think it was Zemamma who used to wear short sleeves with gloves, always amused me. You do lose a lot of heat through your hands though so it makes sense.

jgl07
01-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Goalkeepers have been wearing them for ever.

-Jonesy-
01-01-2018, 08:11 PM

I mind the Portugal keeper Ricardo in the 2004 euros against England took his gloves off to take a penalty in the shootout and then went back in to make the winning save with no gloves on.

superfurryhibby
01-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Total affectation. Played for decades in all weathers and can only imagine the slagging if anyone had dared to don a pair of gloves ( except a goalie).

Baldy Foghorn
01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Snoods :aok:

Lennon threw his snood into crowd after derby on Wednesday

The_Horde
01-01-2018, 09:29 PM

I dinny really agree wi that by the way son. Glad footballers look after themselves a bit better these days and have longer careers.

Stokesy has worn gloves since his first spell, remember him wearing them in that 6-6 game at Motherwell when they took off our only out ball at 6-2 but that's another story.

nonshinyfinish
01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Total affectation. Played for decades in all weathers and can only imagine the slagging if anyone had dared to don a pair of gloves ( except a goalie).

That suggests maybe it was actually not wearing gloves despite your hands being freezing that was the affectation – pretending you weren't cold to avoid a slagging.

Can't see why it matters TBH.

Nameless
01-01-2018, 09:38 PM
I never let my 6 year old wear gloves, even when he is freezing. I told him straight, the dress doesn't bother me, but society isn't ready to see you wearing gloves.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hibby Bairn
01-01-2018, 09:44 PM
I’ve always suffered from cold hands. Poor circulation and finger tips will go blue in really cold weather, even with gloves on. That is just standing about watching though.

When I was a boy I could never unlace my boots after a game cos my hands were so cold.

Gloves get a big thumbs up from me.

superfurryhibby
01-01-2018, 09:46 PM
That suggests maybe it was actually not wearing gloves despite your hands being freezing that was the affectation – pretending you weren't cold to avoid a slagging.

Can't see why it matters TBH.

Never felt the cold when playing, too busy running around.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
I dinny really agree wi that by the way son. Glad footballers look after themselves a bit better these days and have longer careers.

Stokesy has worn gloves since his first spell, remember him wearing them in that 6-6 game at Motherwell when they took off our only out ball at 6-2 but that's another story.

Plenty players 25-30 years ago wore cycling shorts that you never see nowadays and goalies used to wear a polo neck under their strip or tracksuit bottoms as well, that also never happens these days.

It's nothing to with players being 'harder' back in the day. It's about development in sportswear so lighweight gloves suitable for football now exist and Under Armour and equivalents have replaced the cycling shorts and polo necks. As you say it's about players looking after themselves and taking any perceived advantage they can get, even if that is limited to warm hands.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2018, 10:16 PM
IIRC Sauzee wore gloves in the 0-3 game first season back up.

ballengeich
01-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I’ve always suffered from cold hands. Poor circulation and finger tips will go blue in really cold weather, even with gloves on. That is just standing about watching though.

When I was a boy I could never unlace my boots after a game cos my hands were so cold.

Gloves get a big thumbs up from me.

Some people have a valid medical reason for using gloves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

In the Euro 84 finals, there was a superb Portuguese midfielder called Chalana who suffered from this to the extent that he wore gloves in every game, even in French summer evenings.

WeeRussell
02-01-2018, 12:28 AM
I’ve seen me warm-up wearing gloves on a freezing cold day and have them off well-before kick-off. Not for the patter. Also elected to have my socks further up my legs and long sleeves rolled right down just because I’m freezing my bollocks off. What’s the issue?

If it helps make you more comfortable go for it.

Clarence
02-01-2018, 01:02 AM

I remember seeing Andy Goram wearing them - Fact.

derekduval
02-01-2018, 06:06 AM
Did stack not used to rip his sleeves off and then when it was cold wear under armour which kind of defeated the hard man look?

heretoday
02-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Gloves are OK if you must but boots in several colours? Naw.

It's a man's game. Black boots please.

we are hibs
02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Easier to take a throw in without gloves on surely?

dont get why some players wear gloves with short sleeve tops. What's the point

Billy Whizz
02-01-2018, 09:59 AM
IIRC Sauzee wore gloves in the 0-3 game first season back up.

So did I, was bloody freezing that night

CRAZYHIBBY
02-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Seen sauzee wearing gloves along with tony rougier and latapy....im sure stuart lovell did too sometimes

jacomo
02-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Easier to take a throw in without gloves on surely?

dont get why some players wear gloves with short sleeve tops. What's the point

Er, because keeping the extremities warm is more effective.

Players should wear hats too. That would keep them toasty!

Johnny_Leith
02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Gloves are OK if you must but boots in several colours? Naw.

It's a man's game. Black boots please.

Coloured boots make you less of a man, right enough.

whiskas
02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
It seems like It’s almost impossible to get a decent pair of black boots these days.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2018, 11:27 AM
It seems like It’s almost impossible to get a decent pair of black boots these days.

I wear a pair of all black Adidas Nemeziz. The Adidas Copa Mundial is still the best selling boot in the UK, the revamped Predator main colourway is black and white, Puma Kings are still going strong and Nike have a Mercurial and Tiempo in black colourways.

There's loads of good black boots available.

whiskas
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
When I was playing regularly I'd always order 2 pairs of Predators during the end-of-season sale (FG/SG). The ones that were discounted and available in my size were never plain black. The last half-decent pair of plain black boots I had were Nike Tiempo's about 5-6 years ago.
In saying that I do have a set of Kaiser 5's for astro/indoor use.
I guess I could rephrase it as "it's almost impossible to get the boots I want, in my size, at a price I'm willing to pay in black" ;)
It does seem like black boots are making a welcome return to fashion though.
My pet hate is pairs of boots that are completely different colours from each other. Is this to help players put them on the right feet or something?

RE: players wearing gloves I'm not a massive fan of it but if it's in the rules then it's up to the individual whether they wear them or not. Snoods were banned on safety grounds IIRC

speedy_gonzales
02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Actually, has it not just been since the 40's & 50's that goalie gloves became a regular thing?

proud_and_green
02-01-2018, 12:26 PM
I never let my 6 year old wear gloves, even when he is freezing. I told him straight, the dress doesn't bother me, but society isn't ready to see you wearing gloves.

:thumbsup::wink:

Pretty Boy
02-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Actually, has it not just been since the 40's & 50's that goalie gloves became a regular thing?

The interesting thing about goalie gloves is they are actually evolving to be more like a natural hand grip on the ball. From the late 90s/early 00s the roll finger or gunn cut became the dominant cut. This was a 3 or 4mm latex with the palm directly connected to the backhand. They offer plenty protection but are quite loose fitting and bulky. Increasingly more pro goalkeepers are wearing the negative cut. This is a flat palm connected to the backhand by gussets but the gussets are 'inside out' and the stitching is inside the glove. It's a much tighter fit and gives a much more natural hand to ball feel and allows the hand to move in a more natural way. There's all kinds of hybrids that combine the 2. David De Gea for example wears a Medius Cut which has a roll finger design for the outside 2 fingers to give maximum contact space whilst the middle 2 fingers are negative cut to allow for feel and control.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Pretty sure in his Hibs days (1960s) Ronnie Simpson only put them on when the ball was wet. Also don't think Willie Wilson was typically begloved. Thomson Allan maybe.

nonshinyfinish
02-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Right, and if you never felt the cold then therefore no one else did either, because everyone's exactly the same. Affectation indeed.

bod
02-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Lennon threw his snood into crowd after derby on Wednesday

He could’ve gave me his socks at the same time then cos ma feet were freezing

Phil MaGlass
02-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Dinnae make players like they used tae, all playstation wimps nowadays.

My_Wife_Camille
04-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Back in the days when the players all wore long sleeve jerseys that were thicker than a sweatshirt

where'stheslope
04-01-2018, 04:32 PM

Not really forever, I can recall Peter Bonetti of Chelsea being the only keeper wearing gloves in he 60-70's.
Remember buying a pair from Ronnie Simpson's shop in Rose Street back in the day!!!

IlDiavola
04-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Don't get the problem with gloves myself. If your hands get cold then wear gloves, what's the issue?

If anyone has suffered from Raynauds disease they will fully understand the need for gloves.

SouthMoroccoStu
04-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Lol good one

GavinHarris 10
05-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Some people have a valid medical reason for using gloves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

In the Euro 84 finals, there was a superb Portuguese midfielder called Chalana who suffered from this to the extent that he wore gloves in every game, even in French summer evenings.

I'm affected by raynauds syndrome and always carry a pair of gloves on me, I can get attacks across my five fingers of my right hand and the small finger of my left hand. When I have one of these attacks, my fingers both individually and as a group can turn a purply white colour and feel so cold that I can't co-ordinate them to perform the simplest of tasks. All of the while this can be very painful, especially towards the end, warm blood fills up the cold extremities and leaves a horrid pins and needles feeling that has often reduced me to tears. Hence whenever I play football I often look rather silly wearing a short sleeve with pale white arms and a pair of black magic gloves on the hands, but that's the price I'd rather pay so that I can be comfortable and play.

SChibs
06-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Dusan tadic of Southampton has been wearing gloves during games recently. But they've been goalie gloves some of the time.