PDA

View Full Version : Only An Excuse

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Thought I’d get the annual thread about Only An Excuse started early. It usually offers up more of a laugh than the programme itself.what are we expecting this year? I’m guessing:

Fake TV advert
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Joke about someone irrelevant for 20 years
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Political joke
Celtic joke
Token non OF joke
Rangers joke
Scotland manager joke
Celtic joke
Rangers and Celtic combined joke to finish

Betty Boop
31-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Thought I’d get the annual thread about Only An Excuse started early. It usually offers up more of a laugh than the programme itself.what are we expecting this year? I’m guessing:

Fake TV advert
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Political joke
Celtic joke
Token non OF joke
Rangers joke
Scotland manager joke
Celtic joke

Dinnae watch it then ? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Dinnae watch it then ? :greengrin

Where’s the fun in that?:greengrin

Smartie
31-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Does the Frank McAvennie joke just come under Celtic joke or does he not deserve his own category?

O'Rourke3
31-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Plenty of opportunity to rip into the worlds biggest building project west of Edinburgh and can't believe they've missed out Throda. Neil Lennon will get a look-in too. So more than one non old firm section. Unfortunatly we will still see Frankie Boy - my guess is in a sketch with Judith Raslton.....

SirDavidsNapper
31-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Brutal show. Frank McAvennie and Dennis Law are hardly current. Most younger folk would need to ask who they are. Needs freshening up.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Does the Frank McAvennie joke just come under Celtic joke or does he not deserve his own category?

He’s covered by the ‘irrelevant for 20 years’ category.

Jim44
31-12-2017, 12:50 PM

.......... Such as leering, male chauvinist pig category? :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Fake TV advert
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Celtic joke
Rangers joke
Political joke
Celtic joke
Token non OF joke
Rangers joke
Scotland manager joke
Celtic joke

Nailed it :aok:

Carheenlea
31-12-2017, 01:00 PM
It's went from being an entertaining show, to a tired one running out of ideas, to simply being absolute cringeworthy to actually being so awful it's good and back to being entertaining, albeit for how chronically bad it now is.
I'm in Ireland at present and disappointed not to be able to view live tonight, so will be relying on updates on here while the family tune in to Mrs Browns Boys or some similar dross.
We'll miss it when it's gone.

bigwheel
31-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Agreed. It should have been ditched about 7 years ago. And would have been remembered fondly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikey09
31-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Brutal show. Frank McAvennie and Dennis Law are hardly current. Most younger folk would need to ask who they are. Needs freshening up.

Doesnt need freshened up... Needs ****ing binned.

tamig
31-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned wee Chick and the staple “ho ho ho”. Souness will no doubt be wheeled out too.

Mcpakeisgod
31-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Terrible these days, however the Paul le guen chick young interview still makes me laugh

Onceinawhile
31-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Agreed. It should have been ditched about 7 years ago. And would have been remembered fondly

7? More like 15!!

jgl07
31-12-2017, 01:33 PM
He’s covered by the ‘irrelevant for 20 years’ category.

Except he has been irrelevant for over 30 years.

Firestarter
31-12-2017, 01:39 PM
It reminds me of my childhood Hogmanay when the rest of the shows are gone. For that reason I'm in.

-Jonesy-
31-12-2017, 01:47 PM
It reminds me of my childhood Hogmanay when the rest of the shows are gone. For that reason I'm in.

Same here, still chuckle to myself when I think of Giles Rousset dropping the wine glass, "it's ok, it went straight through my legs"

Good times

Firestarter
31-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Same here, still chuckle to myself when I think of Giles Rousset dropping the wine glass, "it's ok, it went straight through my legs"

Good times

😂😂😂

heretoday
31-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Is Jools Holland on?

-Jonesy-
31-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Is Jools Holland on?

Apparently so, featuring

Mavis Staples
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Jessie Ware
Soul II Soul
Beth Ditto
The Beat starring Dave Wakeling
George McCrae
José Feliciano
Ruby Turner
The Pipes and Drums of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards
And Ed Sheeran (GTF!!)

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2017, 02:26 PM
It's went from being an entertaining show, to a tired one running out of ideas, to simply being absolute cringeworthy to actually being so awful it's good and back to being entertaining, albeit for how chronically bad it now is.
I'm in Ireland at present and disappointed not to be able to view live tonight, so will be relying on updates on here while the family tune in to Mrs Browns Boys or some similar dross.
We'll miss it when it's gone.

I agree entirely with this summary except that it’s now out of date by a few years. We’ve now moved into the ‘how the *uck do we stop this thing when West Coast morons of 50 plus tune in in droves to watch it?’ They’ll be playing this on a loop in the dementia wings of old folks homes before long. Until I qualify for that I’m going to pass on this dross which is greatest argument for Scottish independence (or maybe even total cultural subjugation forever.)

hibbyfraelibby
31-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Well past its sell by date not to mention its best before date. Its typical BBC Weagie Middle Class last century fare.

Famous Fiver
31-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Budgie with her checked outfit simpering at Harry Potter must feature, surely.

SunshineOnLeith
31-12-2017, 02:58 PM
The 'Hibs' bit will be a 'Neil Lennon loves Celtic' joke.

matty_f
31-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Apparently so, featuring

Mavis Staples
Jessie Ware
Soul II Soul
Beth Ditto
George McCrae
José Feliciano
Ruby Turner
And Ed Sheeran (GTF!!)

Will probably give that a serve as well.

stu in nottingham
31-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Tend to subscribe to this point of view. I still stick BBC Scotland on to record it each year, hoping it will be somehow better and knowing it won't. I actually watch it to see how bad it will be.

I suppose someone will pull the plug at some point, who knows when.

Glory Lurker
31-12-2017, 03:34 PM
The Only an Excuse thread each year is always one of my favourites (and one i’ve started myself on at least one occasion). I love a good moan about something that is totally rubbish and OAE certainly gives opportunity for that. Pitiful television. Hoofball down the cathode ray.

Topographic Hibby
31-12-2017, 03:46 PM
By OF fans, for OF fans, starring otherwise unemployed and unemployable OF fans, full of sectarian OF jokes for OF fans - did I mention it was all about the OF?

Just like Sportsound, Sportscene and anything else the BBC Sport in Scotland put out.

I’ll be watching Jools for Mavis Staples, The Beat, Soul II Soul, George McCrae, Trombone Shorty and Jose Feliciano. Hope Jose brings his dog with him - he used to get his dog to do a bow with him. Either that, or get the dog to chase that ginger busker......

One Day
31-12-2017, 03:53 PM
I can remember when it was a not to be missed show, if you were out you taped it. now just cringe worthy

bigwheel
31-12-2017, 03:56 PM
7? More like 15!!

Fair point!

Lago
31-12-2017, 03:58 PM
But there's worse to follow, Phil & Ally on fiddle & accordian:confused:

vuefrom1875
31-12-2017, 04:16 PM

About as funny as a visit to the dentist!

hibby6270
31-12-2017, 04:32 PM
It’ll be the usual cheesy and rubbish look back on 2017 but cannae wait for it to be on.
It should be viewed for what it is. A bit of light hearted reflection and definitely not something to be taken seriously. As has already been said, if you dinnae like it, dinnae watch it and stop moanin about it.

tamig
31-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Apparently so, featuring

Mavis Staples
Jessie Ware
Soul II Soul
Beth Ditto
George McCrae
José Feliciano
Ruby Turner
And Ed Sheeran (GTF!!)

Interesting to see The Beat with Dave Wakeling. The Beat have been reformed and touring again for a few years but without Dave. I’m wondering if this is a one off or if It’s Dave and a bunch of session guys who are badging themselves as The Beat. Will be watching anyway but not the best line up.

bigwheel
31-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Apparently so, featuring

Mavis Staples
Jessie Ware
Soul II Soul
Beth Ditto
George McCrae
José Feliciano
Ruby Turner
And Ed Sheeran (GTF!!)

Will check in to this - saw Mavis Staples at Union Chapel early this year - possibly my favourite live Music of the year....

Pete
31-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Apparently so, featuring

Mavis Staples
Jessie Ware
Soul II Soul
Beth Ditto
George McCrae
José Feliciano
Ruby Turner
And Ed Sheeran (GTF!!)

Only heard of about two or three of them. Makes only an excuse sound appealing.

hibsbollah
31-12-2017, 05:42 PM
I agree entirely with this summary except that it’s now out of date by a few years. We’ve now moved into the ‘how the *uck do we stop this thing when West Coast morons of 50 plus tune in in droves to watch it?’ They’ll be playing this on a loop in the dementia wings of old folks homes before long. Until I qualify for that I’m going to pass on this dross which is greatest argument for Scottish independence (or maybe even total cultural subjugation forever.)

In some ways the continued existence of Only an Excuse is an argument for retaining the Union. Scottish independence might summon an era of total talentless weedgie cultural preeminence, similar to when the bbc started at the start of the 20th century and all output was received pronunciation, home counties and the rest.

It might be worse to be patronised by weegies than by southern toffs.

WoreTheGreen
31-12-2017, 05:51 PM
In some ways the continued existence of Only an Excuse is an argument for retaining the Union. Scottish independence might summon an era of total talentless weedgie cultural preeminence, similar to when the bbc started at the start of the 20th century and all output was received pronunciation, home counties and the rest.

But how can we survive without Wier’s way Take the highroad. 20 year old re-runs or Taggart and irn bru & tunnocks tea adverts

hibbycraig
31-12-2017, 06:10 PM
The Strachan bedime story is the best thing he's done in years.

lapsedhibee
31-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Don't think there's any might about it.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 08:36 PM
But how can we survive without Wier’s way Take the highroad. 20 year old re-runs or Taggart and irn bru & tunnocks tea adverts

Oi! Weirs Way was a great programme and Tom Weir was both a brilliant mountaineer and key in turning a generation onto the hills and mountains of Scotland. An unsung Scottish hero imo.

Renfrew_Hibby
31-12-2017, 09:21 PM
What I've noticed since indyref is that there is a lot more politics than I ever remember before. Watson is a hun and it is totally obvious in his SNP bashing these last few years.
Now that would be OK if say did a skit on Ruth 'Kim Jong' Davidson for example but no it will be a greetin Salmond and a wee Jimmy Kranky dig at Sturgeon.
His show shouldn't be a platform for his own politics, just stick to the dire fitba 'gags' and gie us peace.

JimBHibees
31-12-2017, 10:00 PM
What I've noticed since indyref is that there is a lot more politics than I ever remember before. Watson is a hun and it is totally obvious in his SNP bashing these last few years.
Now that would be OK if say did a skit on Ruth 'Kim Jong' Davidson for example but no it will be a greetin Salmond and a wee Jimmy Kranky dig at Sturgeon.
His show shouldn't be a platform for his own politics, just stick to the dire fitba 'gags' and gie us peace.

Agree with that.

renato
31-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Vewy pwoud

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Ah whae cares. Getting slowly pished at hame watching a Corries Dvd. Anybody else mind the Corries? Anybody else mind a dvd player? Cheers!
🥂

HoboHarry
31-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Ah whae cares. Getting slowly pished at hame watching a Corries Dvd. Anybody else mind the Corries? Anybody else mind a dvd player? Cheers!
🥂
Hell yes I do :aok:

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Hell yes I do :aok:

Sentimental nonsense at this time of the year but I love it!

snooky
31-12-2017, 10:25 PM
🥂

Anything is better than the bowff the churnrd out these days.

WoreTheGreen
31-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Stillgot my betamax even try to watch hertz league cup wins but it seems on 35 mm or pathe news

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 10:27 PM

Too true.

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Stillgot my betamax even try to watch hertz league cup wins but it seems on 35 mm or pathe news

😂

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 10:31 PM

Parcel o' Rogues on now - you would like that no doubt!

HoboHarry
31-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Sentimental nonsense at this time of the year but I love it!

They get better and better with every glass of Chardonnay I drink.....

John_R_Corbett
31-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Doesnt need freshened up... Needs ****ing binned.This :agree:

It's a complete and utter load of bollocks

Hiber-nation
31-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Jesus.

John_R_Corbett
31-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Jesus.Is he in it this year? :dunno:

Hiber-nation
31-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Is he in it this year? :dunno:

He might appear!

Can it get any worse?!?

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2017, 11:12 PM
OMG

This is horrific.

easty
31-12-2017, 11:20 PM
How many writers are involved with this utter guff?

poolman
31-12-2017, 11:21 PM
This is cringeworthy at best

Absolute drivel 😴

givescotlandfreedom
31-12-2017, 11:22 PM
It's worse than I thought.

John_R_Corbett
31-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Car crash TV, folk still watching it tae see how bad it is :greengrin

and just for the record I'm not.

Golden Bear
31-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Glad I'm still on the Corries Dvd.by the sounds of it.

😁

Real Emerald
31-12-2017, 11:25 PM
At least we (me) don’t have to work tomorrow. The only saving grace about TV tonight. Happy New Year folks 🥃 👍

givescotlandfreedom
31-12-2017, 11:28 PM
That was absolutely horrendous. McAvenee, Dalglish, Fergie, Sounness, Bigotry. Absolutely ganting.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 11:28 PM
So bad it was......just bad.

greenlex
31-12-2017, 11:29 PM
****ing ****.

J-C
31-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Absolutely brutal, time to put it to bed.

hfc rd
So cringeworthy and horrendous. Needs written off.

Pretty Boy
Phil and Aly and KT Tunstall now. Cutting edge stuff.

greenlex
31-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Tragic. Night night. Happy new year to you all.

easty
31-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Is the film a biopic?

Naw it's nothing to do with washing machines.

Painful to watch it's that unfunny.

Gatecrasher
31-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Paisley City of kulture and North Korea and the vaping flute band were funny.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 11:40 PM
The worst part about OAE is it used to be really good. The old radio ahows are on Youtube as are the early TV shows and they are genuinely amusing. It started to go downhill when Tony Roper left then Greg Hemphill held it together as one of the writers for a couple of years but it descended into trying to find the funny bits amongst the dross by the mid 00s and has just got steadily worse every year since.

The writers have a year to come up with that pish and if the BBC had the will they could freshen it up or hand the slot to someone willing to actually try. Incidentally the 2 Rangers fans in my work both find it hillarious which says more than I ever could.

weecounty hibby
31-12-2017, 11:41 PM
While the BBC are still doing "jokes" about rangers fans playing the sash on vape flutes then we will never be rid of religious intolerance. Not funny in the slightest and if that was one of the highlights thank **** it was the only bit I saw. A disgrace that it is seen as comedy

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Paisley City of kulture and North Korea and the vaping flute band were funny.

Aye, a wee rendition of the sash is always hilarious???

Indicative of what is wrong with Scotland. Even the BBC don't see an issue with 'party tunes'.

Maybe funny for you mate but not for me I'm afraid.

Happy New Year, health and happiness to all...

Hiber-nation
31-12-2017, 11:43 PM
The worst ever, no doubt about it.

Forever_Green93
31-12-2017, 11:44 PM
The only bit that i found slightly funny was the part about the rangers £1 coin.

sleeping giant
31-12-2017, 11:46 PM
What a load of ***** that was.

sleeping giant
31-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Seriously ? ***** is filtered ?
:-)

givescotlandfreedom
Seriously ? ***** is filtered ?
:-)

You can just Say Hearts

sleeping giant
:greengrin

****ing ***** it was. :-)

WoreTheGreen
31-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Thought it lacked old firm content

H18 SFR
31-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Total dug*****

Hermit Crab
01-01-2018, 12:00 AM

How these folk get on the tv each year is staggering, especially that K T Turnstile or whatever her name is. Just said to the Mrs that KT wifey could walk past me in the street and I wouldn't recognise her!

sleeping giant
01-01-2018, 12:05 AM
How these folk get on the tv each year is staggering, especially that K T Turnstile or whatever her name is. Just said to the Mrs that KT wifey could walk past me in the street and I wouldn't recognise her!

She's been singing that same song as long as only an excuse has been going.
Happy new year . Ho Ho Ho

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Fireworks display and accompanying music has been decent tbf.

Thecat23
01-01-2018, 12:06 AM
Fireworks display and accompanying music has been decent tbf.

Just said the same, very good display with good music!

Hermit Crab
01-01-2018, 12:16 AM
She's been singing that same song as long as only an excuse has been going.
Happy new year . Ho Ho Ho

She's crap and shouldn't be near the new year tele!

AFKA5814_Hibs
01-01-2018, 12:35 AM
The worst part about OAE is it used to be really good. The old radio ahows are on Youtube as are the early TV shows and they are genuinely amusing. It started to go downhill when Tony Roper left then Greg Hemphill held it together as one of the writers for a couple of years but it descended into trying to find the funny bits amongst the dross by the mid 00s and has just got steadily worse every year since.

The writers have a year to come up with that pish and if the BBC had the will they could freshen it up or hand the slot to someone willing to actually try. Incidentally the 2 Rangers fans in my work both find it hillarious which says more than I ever could.

That's the worst part of it. Only An Excuse used to be a really funny and original take on Scottish football, especially in its radio days. Now it's just a poor excuse (pardon the pun) on humour. I turned on the last 5 mins and seen a sketch on botox (?) flute playing Huns and the nonentity that is Frank McAvennie. Doesn't make me want to go on catch up to watch the other 25 mins.

marinello59
01-01-2018, 12:42 AM

KT Tunstall? I thought it was the checkout out girl from Trollied doing karaoke.

kaimendhibs
01-01-2018, 01:13 AM
Going against the grain but thought was best one for years. A few laugh out moments and as a stand up comic I appreciate the effort

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Going against the grain but thought was best one for years. A few laugh out moments and as a stand up comic I appreciate the effort

I'm with you, raised more than a few laughs this year in our company.

ajf
01-01-2018, 02:04 AM

I thought it was the best I've seen , yes I enjoyed it , which is more than can be said for the crap that followed it on been 1, 2 and stv , total gash

zolliehibs
01-01-2018, 02:34 AM
Enjoyed the Rangers £1 coin bit and Griffiths tying the scarf to the wedding cake, but a swing and a miss other than that for me!

Paloschi
01-01-2018, 03:01 AM
Worst one and sadly it needs to go

McD
01-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Absolutely awful dross.

half the show spent talking about non-football stuff, the only time it got out of Glasgow was a 15 second paisley skit and a couple of rambling North Korea skits. Wtf were the Botox, dog whisperer, 2021 city of culture, etc, sections all about?

they couldn’t find any way of poking fun at hearts new stand? Neil Lennon’s ear cupping incident? Derek McInnes knocking back rangers? Cathro? Boyd and commons working together on tv? Anne budges jacket? No, because that would be acknowledging a world beyond Strathclyde.

It it shows just how Glasgow and old firm-centric BBC Scotland is.

Pathetic

marinello59
01-01-2018, 08:59 AM

We are stuck with it until people stop watching it. And we all do just so we can moan about how ***** it is. :greengrin

Heisenberg
01-01-2018, 09:02 AM
I missed it last night, I’ll probably still watch it on catch up even after the brutal reviews on here. It’s been pish for ages, I don’t expect it to change any time soon.

RoxburghHibs
01-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Absolutely awful dross.

half the show spent talking about non-football stuff, the only time it got out of Glasgow was a 15 second paisley skit and a couple of rambling North Korea skits. Wtf were the Botox, dog whisperer, 2021 city of culture, etc, sections all about?

they couldn’t find any way of poking fun at hearts new stand? Neil Lennon’s ear cupping incident? Derek McInnes knocking back rangers? Cathro? Boyd and commons working together on tv? Anne budges jacket? No, because that would be acknowledging a world beyond Strathclyde.

Pathetic

Spot on

One Day
01-01-2018, 10:13 AM

I usually find one or two sketches mildly amusing but this year I never raised a smile. It needs to go or be completely revamped

we are hibs
01-01-2018, 10:45 AM
It's genuinely embarrassing. They should've just put on a rerun of still game on

Oscar T Grouch
01-01-2018, 10:50 AM
I stopped watching it, dinae miss it. It’s gash.

vuefrom1875
01-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Weggie dross.

JeMeSouviens
01-01-2018, 11:28 AM

Me too. Haven’t seen it for years. Always love this annual thread though. :wink:

oldbutdim
01-01-2018, 11:48 AM

:confused:

Is this part of your act?

Thecat23
01-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Is this part of your act?

😂😂

heidtheba
01-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I wonder what its 'remit' from the Beeb is. It was better when it could focus more on football but I think they're being asked/trying to fill the gap of Scotch and Wry and Still Game. Tough acts to follow, especially for a football show, and I think they've tried to be too many things to too many people. It aint worked.
The Rangers £1 coin was funny though...

LustForLeith
01-01-2018, 12:01 PM
I’ve often thought that the Hogmany tv line up is a ploy by the councils to force people to spend money on taxis, pubs and clubs by making sure they’d rather be anywhere else than at home watching it.

kaimendhibs
01-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Is this part of your act?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

JimBHibees
01-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Absolutely awful dross.

Pathetic

Totally spot on.

Hillsidehibby
01-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Watching this has ruined 2018. I have put my foot through my tv and i'm sending BBC Scotland the bill.

DavieRoy
01-01-2018, 12:18 PM
It has been really bad since 2002. Tony Roper and Greg Hemphill left but they got Alistair McGowan and he was great but became popular and mainstream and left after 1998, it stumbled on because Scottish football had characters and plenty was happening. After 2002, it has been getting worse by the year.

iwasthere1972
01-01-2018, 12:29 PM
I only watched it so that I could share my opinion on this yearly thread.

Yes it was again total mince. Maybe the only part I found funnyish was the three Huns vaping then discovering that they doubled as flutes.

The Kenny Dalglish sketch and all the others were guff. Obviously now aimed at the over 40's as I'm sure that anybody under that age wouldn't know who most of the characters were. The North Korea sketch. What the hell was that about?

Yes rubbish once again but already looking forward to the next one which will once again be mince.

Pete
01-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Maybe it’s supposed to be mince. 🤔

Baader
01-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Embarrassingly bad. Just not funny, aside from about two impressions none of them you even know who it's supposed to be. Same old crap every year. Needs to be put down.

greenlex
01-01-2018, 12:48 PM
You know it’s bad when the impressionist has to tell you who they are at the start of the sketch. The material was simply garbage and was poorly written and certainly not funny. I will exclude the Rangers pound sketch from that as it was mildly amusing.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 12:52 PM
It has been really bad since 2002. Tony Roper and Greg Hemphill left but they got Alistair McGowan and he was great but became popular and mainstream and left after 1998, it stumbled on because Scottish football had characters and plenty was happening. After 2002, it has been getting worse by the year.

Scottish football still has plenty characters and stories, it's just a lazy show that panders to the religious and pseudo fitba 'banter' that passes as humour amongst some in Glasgow and surrounding areas.

Take someone like Romanov. He was made for a show allegedly about a light hearted look at Scottish football and he barely featured. Hibs winning the Scottish Cup was about the biggest football story in the country last year and it got one entirely predictable Trainspotting type sketch, Hamilton seem to be involved in a punch up every week yet no sketch about it, Hearts stand was an open goal yet nothing, the Aberdeen director and his gambling and plenty more besides.

If the writers and Scottish sports broadcasting as a whole relaised there was a world outwith the Glasgow city boundaries they could make a really good show that showed Scottish football at it's best and worst. As long as they keep aiming it at 50 somethings who still find bigotry the pinnacle of wit it will keep going downhill.

DunblaneHibby
01-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Im raging at the sketch about the dog. As usual they have staffie portrayed as dog that can turn ferocious. I know it was supposed to be funny but come on. My 13 year old staffie would lick you to death!

AltheHibby
01-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Im raging at the sketch about the dog. As usual they have staffie portrayed as dog that can turn ferocious. I know it was supposed to be funny but come on. My 13 year old staffie would lick you to death!

That sketch was just about the worst. The only sketch that made me laugh was the Paisley 2021 sketch. Having seen the stage show in the 80's I can't believe how bad it is.

PS in my experience you have a normal staffie. The only danger they have ever posed me is a muddy jacket when they jump up to lick me. Great dogs.

kaimendhibs
01-01-2018, 01:09 PM
That sketch was just about the worst. The only sketch that made me laugh was the Paisley 2021 sketch. Having seen the stage show in the 80's I can't believe how bad it is.

PS in my experience you have a normal staffie. The only danger they have ever posed me is a muddy jacket when they jump up to lick me. Great dogs.Ive got two. Friendliest loving dogs ever. Kids call Bella the Licky dog

One Day Soon
01-01-2018, 01:31 PM
All New Year's Eve television is 5hit. As is quite a lot of everything else about the evening.

Still, Happy New Year to everyone! Today is one of the best days of the year, every year.

hibbyfraelibby
01-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Johnathon Watson without Tony Roper is like Jack without Victor, Wise without Morecombe, Laurel without Hardie and May without Boris...

WoreTheGreen
01-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Johnathon Watson without Tony Roper is like Jack without Victor, Wise without Morecombe, Laurel without Hardie and May without Boris...

Cathro and laptop

snooky
01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Scottish football still has plenty characters and stories, it's just a lazy show that panders to the religious and pseudo fitba 'banter' that passes as humour amongst some in Glasgow and surrounding areas.

Take someone like Romanov. He was made for a show allegedly about a light hearted look at Scottish football and he barely featured. Hibs winning the Scottish Cup was about the biggest football story in the country last year and it got one entirely predictable Trainspotting type sketch, Hamilton seem to be involved in a punch up every week yet no sketch about it, Hearts stand was an open goal yet nothing, the Aberdeen director and his gambling and plenty more besides.

If the writers and Scottish sports broadcasting as a whole relaised there was a world outwith the Glasgow city boundaries they could make a really good show that showed Scottish football at it's best and worst. As long as they keep aiming it at 50 somethings who still find bigotry the pinnacle of wit it will keep going downhill.

:agree: The bubble that surrounds 'Only A Refuse' and OF mentality is there for all to see.

J-C
01-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Don't know why they can't put some old re runs of Scotch and Rye, canny beat a bit of Ricky Fulton and Rev I.M. Jolly.

Joe6-2
01-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Is Jools Holland on?

Great as ever!

stu in nottingham
01-01-2018, 04:55 PM
If Only an Excuse's mission was to make people laugh - and that seems unclear - then it totally failed with me. It's an art form making a programme so spectacularly unfunny though and you imagine how they manage that. It reminds me of a striker one foot off the line and missing the goal - harder to fail than succeed.

See you same time next year!

overdrive
01-01-2018, 05:32 PM
I just watched it and I laughed mildly once during the entire programme (the Rangers pound coin sketch). Absolutely woeful.

hibsbollah
01-01-2018, 06:07 PM
I hope you all realise these awful reviews have just made me go and watch it :faf: Maybe that's what they had planned all the time?

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2018, 06:09 PM
I laughed at the Rag and Bone man sketch and there were one or two other bits that were ok. I suppose that if you know that the show will be on again no matter what, it is by the by if the material stacks up.

hibsbollah
01-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Kim Jong eun, tragic. Brendan Rodgers, tragic. Ross Kemp, tragic. Strachan, tragic...

I turned it off after 6 minutes.

hibby6270
01-01-2018, 08:55 PM
I know the show is past it’s sell by date but it was worth watching for the £1 coin sketch alone imo.
That was inspired. There’s always at least one gem of a sketch in each show.
Say what you like, and yes it’s probably my age, but the Frank Macavennie sketches make me smile still and are also a reminder of how good the show was in it’s heyday.

Brizo
02-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Haven't watched for years but I'm assuming it's the same sectarian flavoured weedgie based "banter". No doubt full of Billy / Tim sketches and sketches about characters who haven't been relevant for twenty years.

It's TV for middle aged weedgie Daily Record readers who wish it was still the 1970s.

dangermouse
02-01-2018, 09:16 AM
The Strachan bedtime story is the best thing he's done in years.

Surely Strachan would say bairns not weans?

One Day
02-01-2018, 09:17 AM
If Only an Excuse's mission was to make people laugh - and that seems unclear - then it totally failed with me. It's an art form making a programme so spectacularly unfunny though and you imagine how they manage that. It reminds me of a striker one foot off the line and missing the goal - harder to fail than succeed.

See you same time next year!

this made me smile, which is more than only an excuse did

ACLeith
02-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Haven't watched for years but I'm assuming it's the same sectarian flavoured weedgie based "banter". No doubt full of Billy / Tim sketches and sketches about characters who haven't been relevant for twenty years.

It's TV for middle aged weedgie Daily Record readers who wish it was still the 1970s.

I thought you said you hadn't seen it? Because you've nailed exactly what it was about this year. :agree:

SkintHibby
02-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Just watched it on iplayer - thats 30 minutes of my life I won't get back. Only bit I laughed at was when Fergie said "dogs jobbies and buckfast bottles" and thats only cause the word jobby always makes me laugh anyway.

Also noticed the snidey jokes about Sturgeon and Salmond (the BBC propaganda machine just can't help themselves these days).

Utter sheite!:agree:

KWJ
02-01-2018, 01:20 PM
As it's become a NYE institution for the whole family over the years they have moved away from Scottish Football smaller names to those that everyonr may recognise.

Scottish fitbaw fans then say it wasnt as good as it used to be every year while others are able to enjoy it.

The Salmond oppressive sausage sketch in 14 comes to mind. That said the laughs have become thinner and this one was particularly tough with some proper crige sketches like the dug one and the Kenny Dalglish film.

Losing writers makes sense and maybe the pressure of folk looking forward to it. Perhaps they should wrap it up and start doing repeats, best ofs and a docu on it.

CockneyRebel
02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Don't know why they can't put some old re runs of Scotch and Rye, canny beat a bit of Ricky Fulton and Rev I.M. Jolly.

I second that emulsion.

overdrive
02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
As it's become a NYE institution for the whole family over the years they have moved away from Scottish Football smaller names to those that everyonr may recognise.

Scottish fitbaw fans then say it wasnt as good as it used to be every year while others are able to enjoy it.

The Salmond oppressive sausage sketch in 14 comes to mind. That said the laughs have become thinner and this one was particularly tough with some proper crige sketches like the dug one and the Kenny Dalglish film.

Losing writers makes sense and maybe the pressure of folk looking forward to it. Perhaps they should wrap it up and start doing repeats, best ofs and a docu on it.

I don’t think he can be arsed with it either to be honest. I read an article where he said he’d been quite busy and basically had 2 weeks to write, rehearse and film it.

Ronniekirk
02-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Dinnae even watch it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Not watched this years one but its always the same sorts of jokes every year.

02-01-2018, 05:42 PM
I just watched it and I laughed mildly once during the entire programme (the Rangers pound coin sketch). Absolutely woeful.Forgot we'd recorded this at New Year. Watched it this afternoon and other than the £1 coin sketch it really was a poor offering. Maybe that's why they put it on so close to midnight. Think you need to be half peev'd to enjoy it.

Thecat23
02-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Thought I’d watch after reading this. That is the worst “comedy” show I’ve ever watched. Never laughed once! The guy can’t do impressions how he’s got a show out it I’ll never know. The dug whisperer WTF 😳 and the Botox thing as well. Should be sacked for those alone.

Famous Fiver
02-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Disappointed wee Annie and the Cash Cow didn't make an appearance.

thebausburst
02-01-2018, 06:33 PM
it used to be good back in the day when ALL teams featured and it was ALL football based humour, now it’s just the ugly sisters and random stuff.