PDA

View Full Version : Slivka

Nevi_SOL
31-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Was good too see the big man today. Thought he done well when he came on.

pacorosssco
31-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Was good too see the big man today. Thought he done well when he came on.

still hope there but needs to force himself into game more

calumhibee1
31-12-2017, 12:21 AM
I’m still reserving judgement until we get to see him as a CM. Don’t know why we persist with playing him out of position, let him show us what he can do in the middle.

CMurdoch
31-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Wonderfully balanced and strong athlete
Great technique
Regular International player

The only weakness I notice is a reluctance to take charge and impose himself e.g. Most often plays the easy ball instead of doing something more ambitious

Should be getting far more game time than he is currently.
Perhaps when McGinn leaves Lennon will challenge him to step up to the plate.

LaMotta
31-12-2017, 03:18 AM
He is a very average player. The people who see quality in him are inventing things in their head.

Allant1981
31-12-2017, 04:52 AM
He is a very average player. The people who see quality in him are inventing things in their head.

aye ok

WeeRussell
31-12-2017, 05:00 AM

I’m somewhere in between. I’m not ready to call him very average - I do think some were very quick to lavish great praise on him before he’d done anything of note however. Though he did go on and score that goal against Rangers which I did enjoy ;)

patlowe
31-12-2017, 05:46 AM
I'm starting to think that we have been a bit spoiled in terms of midfield quality over the last couple of years and we are now judging our players against incredibly high (and possibly unrealistic) standards.

Every time I see Slivka his technical ability, athleticism and speed of thought jump out a mile - I compare that to the calibre we had previously been used to in the post Mowbray/Collins era (Craig, Robertson, Thornhill, Taiwo, Tudor Jones, Rankin etc etc etc) and I think it speaks volumes for how far we've come that this guy can't get in the team.

However, due to the quality we already have in central midfield, he will continue to struggle to get a run to show what he can do. McGinn today absolutely dominated a guy who has played at the top level and who the media were raving about all week. McGeouch is another special player and Bartley serves a core function within the team. How do you break into that?

I also don't think Slivka is a 'gamechanger', which is unfortunate as he's often brought on when we are in need of some inspiration and other more traditionally creative players have run their race. I'm not sure that's his game.

Unseen work
31-12-2017, 05:50 AM
I wasn’t at the game yesterday however I am glad to hear he played well.

As part of my current job, it is my role to analyse football.

I actually rewatched the first hour of Hibs vs rangers game earlier in the season at Ibrox where we won 3-2 and played close attention to Slivka as a lot of people praised him after it.

From that game he certainly never played as well as what folk made out but he had a good solid game and scored a screamer.

A couple of things I have noticed about him in that game, and others since his arrival

Positional sense

He sticks to his position to a tee, no matter where the ball is on the park he does not get attracted to it like many other players do, he does exactly as the manager asks of him. Thierry Henry spoke about his time under Pep and mentioned how this was key to how the team operated. Everyone stick to their position allowing room for their team mates to manoeuvre, something I think has clearly been taught in Slivka from his good football background.

Also when he receives the ball, it’s extremely rare he receives it in a tight situation as he has the awareness of what’s around him and moves into positions where he has more time and space, making what he does look a lot simpler.

Technique

Technically he is very good, his touch and passing is normally spot on and he rarely gives the ball away whilst in possession. Imo he brings something to the side that not many of our players do, quick intricate passing. He gets the ball and moves it on within seconds, rarely taking unnecessary touches, thus speeding up our play.

Background

As I touched on earlier I think his background has a major impact, having plyed his trade in Italy and Holland you can tell he is used to a slower pace, possession type football where everyone is comfortable on the ball and you trust their ability to get them out of potentially difficult situations and keep possession. Over here it is a bit more gung ho.

Where he has to improve and I think it will come, is imposing himself on the games. He reminds me a bit of Claros in this respect. If he played him centrally in benhind the striker I think he would see him at his best especially as he has the composure and ability to spot the runs of barker, Boyle and Shaw.

Can’t see him playing there however as Lennon as a fascination with Stokes

we are hibs
31-12-2017, 07:22 AM

Hes a player who keeps getting played out of position when he's not a winger. To describe someone who's had about 3 games in his natural position as very average is absolute nonsense.

Nicho87
31-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Doesn't dominate anywhere near enough for me.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 07:54 AM
I don't really know what people expect from him. He got just over 15 minutes played out of position yesterday and done well. Passed well, made a couple of good challenges and had one half chance in which he was crowded out by no fewer than 6 Killie players.

adhibs
31-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Thought he played well yesterday. Hes one that should be used more throughout the rest of the season.

bookert
31-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Thought he was excellent when on the park yesterday.

macca70
31-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Didn’t do much wrong but also didn’t really change the game how you would like a sub to do coming on for the last 15 minutes.

What annoyed the hell out of me was the fact Lennon put Boyle on on the left when he brought Slyvka on.

Killie must have loved this, Boyle looked dangerous down the right but done nothing when moved over to the left and it took away our threat down the right.

hibsbollah
31-12-2017, 08:48 AM
If McGinn moves on, funds deployed on another quality striker and Slivka given a chance to impose himself and get a run of games in the middle, I'll be happy. I think that will give us more balance in the squad. I just have the feeling that Slivka could be a late bloomer into the Scottish game, a bit like Claros was.

hibee
31-12-2017, 08:49 AM
I really like this guy from what I’ve seen of him, would be happy with him getting a decent run in the team to see what he can do especially if McGinn does leave us.

Famous Fiver
31-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Class international player.

Lucky to have him.

He will have plenty of suitors so we should be tying him down long term. Could easily play at a higher level.

Can't understand the critics, what are they expecting?

allezsauzee
31-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I think Slivka will get a lot more game time in CM when SJM leaves.

Iggy Pope
31-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Very average? That reads like he is a bit more average than other less average player might be. Tiresome nonsense.
He looks decent enough to me.

Souter96Mac
31-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Can see him replacing SJM. Quite a physical player with good technique.

allezsauzee
31-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Can see him replacing SJM. Quite a physical player with good technique.

I think this was a bit of forward planning by Lennon. As much as I like SJM, if we get a decent fee for him I think we could really add to the squad depth. Slivka, McGeough, Swanson, Bartley is already a decent midfield.

Ryan69
31-12-2017, 09:43 AM

You dont rock up at Juve if your average mate.

Hes obviously got something about him.

Pete
31-12-2017, 09:44 AM
A classy player who needs game time to fully adapt to the Scottish game.

Trouble is we’ve an embarrassment of riches in our midfield right now.

Souter96Mac
31-12-2017, 09:47 AM
I think this was a bit of forward planning by Lennon. As much as I like SJM, if we get a decent fee for him I think we could really add to the squad depth. Slivka, McGeough, Swanson, Bartley is already a decent midfield.

Definitely. Unlike in previous years, we're not left toothless if SJM does go. We've got quality already available, and the fee we receive can be put back into other areas of the squad. Seems we now have quite a lot of sellable assets in this team at the moment, Boyle, Hanlon, SJM, could say the young lads like Shaw if they continue their development. We're in a good position.

frazeHFC
31-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Surprised people thought he was excellent when he came on. I want him to do well and think there's a player there, but he offered nothing that I would say was good never mind excellent.

The Spaceman
31-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I definitely rate Slivka and I am looking forward to him showing us all what he can do once SJM moves on. He is a clever player and technically very good.

Brightside
31-12-2017, 10:03 AM
We won’t see the best of Slivka until he’s playing CM. That will prob be soon.

lumbo_hfc
31-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Potentially a good player for us. Unfair to judge a player when he's getting 10-15 mins every week out of position. Think it might be next season before we see the best of him or if/when McGinn leaves in January.

greenlex
31-12-2017, 10:37 AM
He definitely has more to offer.

Tobias Funke
31-12-2017, 10:46 AM

You seem to be in the minority on this one. You might want to give him more of a chance before spouting this sort of unsubstantiated drivel.

cleanyman
31-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I thought he was sensational at Ibrox but since then he's been stuck out on the right with limited appearances.

I think we have a good player who plays the odd game.

Michael
31-12-2017, 10:49 AM
He has skill, but has contributed almost nothing so far. He needs to get more involved in the game and not be afraid to make mistakes.

SunshineOnLeith
31-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Like others have said, suspect we'll only see the best of him once McGinn moves on and he gets the chance to fill his position.

He's a quality footballer but he's wasted out wide.

GreenPJ
31-12-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm starting to think that we have been a bit spoiled in terms of midfield quality over the last couple of years and we are now judging our players against incredibly high (and possibly unrealistic) standards.

Every time I see Slivka his technical ability, athleticism and speed of thought jump out a mile - I compare that to the calibre we had previously been used to in the post Mowbray/Collins era (Craig, Robertson, Thornhill, Taiwo, Tudor Jones, Rankin etc etc etc) and I think it speaks volumes for how far we've come that this guy can't get in the team.

However, due to the quality we already have in central midfield, he will continue to struggle to get a run to show what he can do. McGinn today absolutely dominated a guy who has played at the top level and who the media were raving about all week. McGeouch is another special player and Bartley serves a core function within the team. How do you break into that?

I also don't think Slivka is a 'gamechanger', which is unfortunate as he's often brought on when we are in need of some inspiration and other more traditionally creative players have run their race. I'm not sure that's his game.

Controversial but are our current midfielders game changers?

SunshineOnLeith
31-12-2017, 10:58 AM

McGeough certainly can be, capable of moments like the pass to Stokes against Ross County (which Stokes blazed over) or his goal in the SC semi against Aberdeen. Plays with his head up and runs with the ball extremely well.

Swanson was top goalscorer for one of the best teams in the league last season. Perhaps hasn't clicked for him at Hibs yet but he's definitely got the potential to be a game changer.

hibsbollah
31-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Short answer, no. McGinn, McGeogh do lovely things from time to time, but not in areas where we can hurt opponents. The goal record from midfield is pitiful,which is peculiar considering the quality of player.

truehibernian
31-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Short answer, no. McGinn, McGeogh do lovely things from time to time, but not in areas where we can hurt opponents. The goal record from midfield is pitiful,which is peculiar considering the quality of player.

Yesterday was one of those 'need and extra unnecessary touch' games where we got into terrific positions on the edge or in the box but either through poor technique, not being sharp enough, or what I feel, not confident enough to hit the target, we played very square which meant Killie had a set two banks of four which is hard to break down the way we wanted to 'walk it in' yesterday.

Even Efe and Darren had chances to shoot - I'm maybe being a wee but unkind to Daz as he chested it back the way into the path of Swanson (I think, in second half) - I think he had time to turn and shoot. Efe's chance (again second half) was more obvious but again he chose to turn inside and lay it across the box. Efe was actually my MotM yesterday, thought he was excellent second half in particular and drove forward at every opportunity. Quietest I've seen Jones in any Killie game I have watched recently.

I watched the Aberdeen highlights and what was immediately apparent is the amount of players who got shots away - which were either saved, deflected or wide. On another day a couple go in. But Stewart, Christie, O'Connor, Shinnie all got good shots in target and appeared confident at striking the ball.

We have to add a player who is a good dead ball and set piece taker. It's actually what impressed me about Fraser Murray when I saw him. He likes to shoot when any opportunity arises.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Too early to be making decisions on Slivka yet. As others have pointed out he's not had a lot of game time and probably not in his preferred position. Seems to have good attributes and will hopefully adapt the more time he gets.

lord bunberry
31-12-2017, 11:21 AM
The problem with Slivka is that we’ve not really seen what he’s capable of yet. He’s looked good at times, but not good enough to be a direct replacement for McGinn. It’s possible that with a good run of games in centre midfield he might turn out to be an excellent signing, but at this stage we don’t know.

hibsbollah
31-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Yesterday was one of those 'need and extra unnecessary touch' games where we got into terrific positions on the edge or in the box but either through poor technique, not being sharp enough, or what I feel, not confident enough to hit the target, we played very square which meant Killie had a set two banks of four which is hard to break down the way we wanted to 'walk it in' yesterday.

Even Efe and Darren had chances to shoot - I'm maybe being a wee but unkind to Daz as he chested it back the way into the path of Swanson (I think, in second half) - I think he had time to turn and shoot. Efe's chance (again second half) was more obvious but again he chose to turn inside and lay it across the box. Efe was actually my MotM yesterday, thought he was excellent second half in particular and drove forward at every opportunity. Quietest I've seen Jones in any Killie game I have watched recently.

I watched the Aberdeen highlights and what was immediately apparent is the amount of players who got shots away - which were either saved, deflected or wide. On another day a couple go in. But Stewart, Christie, O'Connor, Shinnie all got good shots in target and appeared confident at striking the ball.

We have to add a player who is a good dead ball and set piece taker. It's actually what impressed me about Fraser Murray when I saw him. He likes to shoot when any opportunity arises.

That was the point of Danny Swanson, of course. Great at free kicks with his previous clubs, plenty of skill to get past a player and can play in the hole. Hopefully he can have a run in the team in 2018 without some of the recent baggage he's been carrying.

J-C
31-12-2017, 11:48 AM
I've liked what I've seen of Slivka, well balanced, decent passer and forward thinking. I just wonder if we grabbed the opportunity to sign him thinking McGinn may have left in the summer if the right money was offered. I remember Lennon saying he McGinn was upset a move didn't happen but understood why.

truehibernian
31-12-2017, 11:55 AM
That was the point of Danny Swanson, of course. Great at free kicks with his previous clubs, plenty of skill to get past a player and can play in the hole. Hopefully he can have a run in the team in 2018 without some of the recent baggage he's been carrying.

Thought Danny came onto a good game first half and gained more confidence as the half progressed - a goal would have done him the world of good and he had two good chances. Was a bit confused myself as to the formation yesterday and I think DS was too. Totally agree his best football comes from the '10' role but there were times where he was out left (wide) or nearly tripping into Dylan centrally. Second half I think the game passed him by a little, maybe down to fatigue but mainly as most of our attacking play came down the right with Boyle, Efe and Stokes (then Slivka).

CMurdoch
31-12-2017, 12:17 PM
He is only 22 and already has 22 international caps!
He is far from average.

CMurdoch
31-12-2017, 12:30 PM
I wasn’t at the game yesterday however I am glad to hear he played well.

As part of my current job, it is my role to analyse football.

I actually rewatched the first hour of Hibs vs rangers game earlier in the season at Ibrox where we won 3-2 and played close attention to Slivka as a lot of people praised him after it.

From that game he certainly never played as well as what folk made out but he had a good solid game and scored a screamer.

A couple of things I have noticed about him in that game, and others since his arrival

Positional sense

He sticks to his position to a tee, no matter where the ball is on the park he does not get attracted to it like many other players do, he does exactly as the manager asks of him. Thierry Henry spoke about his time under Pep and mentioned how this was key to how the team operated. Everyone stick to their position allowing room for their team mates to manoeuvre, something I think has clearly been taught in Slivka from his good football background.

Also when he receives the ball, it’s extremely rare he receives it in a tight situation as he has the awareness of what’s around him and moves into positions where he has more time and space, making what he does look a lot simpler.

Technique

Technically he is very good, his touch and passing is normally spot on and he rarely gives the ball away whilst in possession. Imo he brings something to the side that not many of our players do, quick intricate passing. He gets the ball and moves it on within seconds, rarely taking unnecessary touches, thus speeding up our play.

Background

As I touched on earlier I think his background has a major impact, having plyed his trade in Italy and Holland you can tell he is used to a slower pace, possession type football where everyone is comfortable on the ball and you trust their ability to get them out of potentially difficult situations and keep possession. Over here it is a bit more gung ho.

Where he has to improve and I think it will come, is imposing himself on the games. He reminds me a bit of Claros in this respect. If he played him centrally in benhind the striker I think he would see him at his best especially as he has the composure and ability to spot the runs of barker, Boyle and Shaw.

Can’t see him playing there however as Lennon as a fascination with Stokes

Like your paragraph about Positional sense :top marks.
Hadn't thought about that and it explains a lot about how he plays.

Smartie
31-12-2017, 12:33 PM
I think Slivka looks class but we've not really worked out what to do with him yet.

I suspect he'll be a replacement for McGinn, and then we'll get to see what he's all about.

In places he looked very good yesterday, in others he looked like he didn't know what was going on around him.

He's never a right midfielder, and he does the same thing that Lewis does from time to time when he's in a good position to burst past his man on the outside in that he safely checks back inside and keeps possession - fine when we're winning, not when we're chasing a winner. Once towards the end he actually took his man on round the outside and beat him, so he has it in him.

We've not seen much from him so far, but I think he has a big future with us. He'll need to stay patient as long as we have McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley though.

-Jonesy-
31-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Am I right in thinking he signed a 3 or 4 year deal?

WeeRussell
31-12-2017, 01:13 PM
McGeough certainly can be, capable of moments like the pass to Stokes against Ross County (which Stokes blazed over) or his goal in the SC semi against Aberdeen. Plays with his head up and runs with the ball extremely well.

Swanson was top goalscorer for one of the best teams in the league last season. Perhaps hasn't clicked for him at Hibs yet but he's definitely got the potential to be a game changer.

I’ll be honest, for all his qualities - Dylan is very close to the bottom of the list when it comes to players I expect to be popping up with a game changing goal.

davhibby
31-12-2017, 01:34 PM
We should have changed to a 433 when he came on, there's no point in trying to play central players wide because like Slivka was doing yesterday they'll just try and come inside all the time

hibbyfraelibby
31-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Vikki was signed by Lennon as part of his succession planning for when, not if, SJM and Dylan move on in 2018. He was signed on a three year contract with a view to easing him in to the Hibernian set up ready to step in seamlessly to the gap left. Now all we need is Horge back😉

-Jonesy-
31-12-2017, 01:47 PM
We should have changed to a 433 when he came on, there's no point in trying to play central players wide because like Slivka was doing yesterday they'll just try and come inside all the time

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CNO_BL8A7wE/VdiB4eNKmlI/AAAAAAAAFH0/_DgSy7dEhWI/s320/williams.jpg

Hi Heid Yin
31-12-2017, 02:17 PM

My thoughts too.:agree:

Glory Lurker
31-12-2017, 02:41 PM
I saw a photo of him in a Joy Division top, so he’s alright with me :greengrin

Stuart93
31-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Thought slivka looked decent when he came on yesterday

CMurdoch
31-12-2017, 03:01 PM
I saw a photo of him in a Joy Division top, so he’s alright with me :greengrin

Where?

Glory Lurker
31-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Where?

Not sure, but it was of him and Big Dave at an open day at a junior or amateur club early on this season.

JohnM1875
31-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Was in Musselburgh earlier on in the year. Not only was it a Joy Division top but the famous lines were in green. Smart lad.

Unseen work
31-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Just watched the second half of yesterday’s game.

That is the best I have seen then as he got at them more and was more direct imo. He has the skill to go past people so it was good that he done it more often.

Also 10/10 for his fantastic flick over the Kilmarnock player, fantastic bit of skill

whiskas
31-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Didn’t do much wrong but also didn’t really change the game how you would like a sub to do coming on for the last 15 minutes.

What annoyed the hell out of me was the fact Lennon put Boyle on on the left when he brought Slyvka on.

Killie must have loved this, Boyle looked dangerous down the right but done nothing when moved over to the left and it took away our threat down the right.

I noticed that too, and that they then swapped back over about 5 mins later. Slivka looks like he has all the attributes to be a top player (physicality, pace, skill) but he doesn’t impose himself on games as much as he should. Possibly down to his age /language barrier/confidence?He’s also not a winger. In saying that it says as much about McGeoch and McGinn’s quality that he can’t get a look in at the moment.

hibsbollah
31-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Was in Musselburgh earlier on in the year. Not only was it a Joy Division top but the famous lines were in green. Smart lad.

He signed my lads boots after the tourney and handed out Medals. Nice of both him and big Dave to do community stuff, especially as they were not long arrived in the country.

Hermit Crab
31-12-2017, 04:32 PM

What a pile of male farm animal droppings.

CMurdoch
31-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Bah can't find the Slivka image from Musselburgh.
The only JD UP T I have seen that had the lines in green was pants because they had the band name above the graphic. Very uncool :wink:

Bishop Hibee
31-12-2017, 06:51 PM
I thought Slivka did very well when he came on. Always tried to be positive. McGinn and especially McGeoch passed the ball sideways far too much.

Ozyhibby
31-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Slivka has shown he is a tidy player so far but not yet a game changer. He should have had more game time by now, so clearly taking longer to settle in than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
31-12-2017, 08:51 PM
He has skill, but has contributed almost nothing so far. He needs to get more involved in the game and not be afraid to make mistakes.

He's contributed a lot more than Swanson but he doesn't get slagged off.

Ozyhibby
31-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Swanson needs to massively lift his contribution as well.

Hermit Crab
31-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Swanson needs to massively lift his contribution as well.

:agree: 100%, yes he's had a difficult year but for someone who supports the club I do expect more from him.

eastmainsmsh
31-12-2017, 11:11 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-tmobile-gb&biw=360&bih=310&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=cXxJWqG4M8KSgAae3J-QCQ&q=vykintas+slivka+juventus&oq=vykintas+slivka+ju&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.35i39k1.1836.2619.0.3384.4.4.0.0.0.0.201.5 20.0j2j1.3.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..1.3.518...0i30k1j0i24k1.109.vrX-02WmqJc#imgrc=V1qQPz_WPlzH7M:

LaMotta
31-12-2017, 11:22 PM

Well no he hasnt. Swanson has contributed to more goals for us. Keep posting your animal dung though:aok:

Heisenberg
01-01-2018, 07:36 AM

Cool, we’ll just write him off as a very average player because you said so. Let’s not wait for him to get a prolonged run in the team or anything, that would be madness.

Tyler Durden
01-01-2018, 08:47 AM

I don't think he has. Neither really been given much chance albeit for different reasons

Whether McGinn stays or goes we need to see much more from both of these guys

Borderhibbie76
01-01-2018, 09:31 AM
He has skill, but has contributed almost nothing so far. He needs to get more involved in the game and not be afraid to make mistakes.Harsh...u need time.on the pitch to contribute...something the guy has had very little of so far...I thought he did well out of position when he came on Sat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
01-01-2018, 09:34 AM
:agree: 100%, yes he's had a difficult year but for someone who supports the club I do expect more from him.I actually agree with you Hermit which is not something I can honestly say happens a lot. Swanson gets an easy ride off a lot of fans coz he is a hibby...now I get it the guy has had an awful year...but he really does need to up his contribution after the winter break. He wasn't great againon Sat and missed an absolute sitter in the 1st half. Yet many are keen to judge the likes of slivka on very limited game time and played out of position almost entirely

Lago
01-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I actually agree with you Hermit which is not something I can honestly say happens a lot. Swanson gets an easy ride off a lot of fans coz he is a hibby...now I get it the guy has had an awful year...but he really does need to up his contribution after the winter break. He wasn't great againon Sat and missed an absolute sitter in the 1st half. Yet many are keen to judge the likes of slivka on very limited game time and played out of position almost entirely

Good post, Swanson didn't look completely fit to me on Sat a lot of hard work needed over a short period.

SChibs
01-01-2018, 12:38 PM
I actually agree with you Hermit which is not something I can honestly say happens a lot. Swanson gets an easy ride off a lot of fans coz he is a hibby...now I get it the guy has had an awful year...but he really does need to up his contribution after the winter break. He wasn't great againon Sat and missed an absolute sitter in the 1st half. Yet many are keen to judge the likes of slivka on very limited game time and played out of position almost entirely

An absolute sitter is a bit harsh. But at least he's getting into the box. That's what we have all be crying out for on here. I midfielder making run into the box and shooting. Give him time to get up to speed and he'll get goals

wookie70
02-01-2018, 10:38 AM

I thought Swanson had missed a sitter too in the first half but when you see the angle on the highlights he never had much to aim at. He might have done better with the breakaway but the runs from the supporting players weren't great and he ended up with a shot that was partially blocked by some good defending. One thing Danny did was look creative which is at a premium in our squad. He needs to up his contribution as he hasn't started his Hibs career well. I wasn't overly fussed about his signing but he actually looks like he has lots to offer, he just needs to deliver now.

JimBHibees
02-01-2018, 10:43 AM
An absolute sitter is a bit harsh. But at least he's getting into the box. That's what we have all be crying out for on here. I midfielder making run into the box and shooting. Give him time to get up to speed and he'll get goals

Thought Danny was really good and gives us a different dimension and more of a threat. He will only get better with games.

Smartie
02-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Thought Danny was really good and gives us a different dimension and more of a threat. He will only get better with games.

At one point during the first half I started to think Danny was hopeless - this guy has barely given us an inkling of what might be a positive contribution.

Then he got on the ball a few more times, had one powerful driving run down the left and showed really nice feet to create a bit of space outside their box.

TBH the drop of a shoulder, quick feet and create a yard of space outside the box bit - that more than anything is what we are crying out for. We need Danny in the team, doing it much more often than he has up to this point.

I wonder if this might have been more use to us in the last half an hour than the first hour on Saturday though?

Scott Allan had it, Liam Henderson had it, but we need someone who can turn the sideways passing into a chance.

SirDavidsNapper
02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Hope Swanson comes good. Set back by his personal problems which were awful. I was a bit underwhelmed with his signing if im being honest, i just don't rate him and the "deliberately didn't try for Hearts" comments reeked of unprofessionalism. Might be wrong but if Swanson was a St Mirren fan he wouldn't be getting as much slack from some fans. I really hope he comes good as a lot on here rate him highly.

Smartie
02-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Hope Swanson comes good. Set back by his personal problems which were awful. I was a bit underwhelmed with his signing if im being honest, i just don't rate him and the "deliberately didn't try for Hearts" comments reeked of unprofessionalism. Might be wrong but if Swanson was a St Mirren fan he wouldn't be getting as much slack from some fans. I really hope he comes good as a lot on here rate him highly.

Those comments smacked of Jambo drivel tbh.

If you play for the rivals of the club you support, if it doesn't work out then you are open to all sorts of accusations. See some of the stuff thrown at Jason Cummings who scored a barrowload of goals for us (including several significant ones against Hearts) and won the cup.

I was a bit curious as to why it didn't work out for Danny at Hearts, but the fact that he was so highly thought of at both United and St Johnstone would suggest to me that he was a player worth having.

Swanson, a bit like Stokes, looks to me to be a good player that we haven't yet really worked out how to fit into our team.

LaMotta
02-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Cool, we’ll just write him off as a very average player because you said so. Let’s not wait for him to get a prolonged run in the team or anything, that would be madness.

Writing him off completely is very unfair however alternatively we have had people after he played 2 or 3 games claiming that he is a top drawer outstanding player. Im not claiming hes terrible I'm saying he looks middle of the road.

People are still making those claims of top class despite him showing (goal at Ibrox apart) absolutely nothing to suggest that. He has looked neat and tidy sometimes, hasnt made a major impact though on any games and doesnt really seem to be in Lennons plans. He had a chance to stand out in CM against Partick and didnt take that chance.

A read through Jonnyboy's astute match summaries I think backs up how dissapointing he has been when he has had a chance.

The fact he has been at Juventus doesnt automatically mean he will be a standout in the SPFL and shouldnt cloud judgement.

There is def something there but I think its fair to say he has had an average start, and if he is seen as a replacement for McGinn then im worried.

I hope im wrong and he starts to make an impact - if he is still here next season I'll be surprised though.

Swanson has proved he can do it already in this league - I think he will more likely be the bigger success.
:flag:

Sammy7nil
02-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Writing him off completely is very unfair however alternatively we have had people after he played 2 or 3 games claiming that he is a top drawer outstanding player. Im not claiming hes terrible I'm saying he looks middle of the road.

People are still making those claims of top class despite him showing (goal at Ibrox apart) absolutely nothing to suggest that. He has looked neat and tidy sometimes, hasnt made a major impact though on any games and doesnt really seem to be in Lennons plans. He had a chance to stand out in CM against Partick and didnt take that chance.

A read through Jonnyboy's astute match summaries I think backs up how dissapointing he has been when he has had a chance.

The fact he has been at Juventus doesnt automatically mean he will be a standout in the SPFL and shouldnt cloud judgement.

There is def something there but I think its fair to say he has had an average start, and if he is seen as a replacement for McGinn then im worried.

I hope im wrong and he starts to make an impact - if he is still here next season I'll be surprised though.

Swanson has proved he can do it already in this league - I think he will more likely be the bigger success.

:agree::top marks:agree: He has done nothing to suggest he is quality or replacement for SJM he looks a run of the mill decent squad player. I hope he proves me wrong but he has an awful lot to do to persuade me.

CMurdoch
03-01-2018, 01:49 AM

Swanson is now 31
Slivka is 22

Swanson has no international caps
Slivka has 22 international caps

My money is on Slivka

Steve20
03-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Slikva needs a run of games. I'm sure there's a very good player there.
Swanson had a good first half on Saturday. Not sure why people think he didn't. He tired in the second half but that was to be expected as hes been out a while.

LaMotta
03-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Swanson is now 31
Slivka is 22

Swanson has no international caps
Slivka has 22 international caps

My money is on Slivka

Swanson comes from a country ranked 32nd in the World.

Slivka comes from a country ranked 149th in the world.

:rolleyes:

patlowe
03-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Swanson comes from a country ranked 32nd in the World.

Slivka comes from a country ranked 149th in the world.

:rolleyes:

While I don't think the international cap comparison tells us much, I do think Slivka's age has been greatly ignored by those looking to dismiss him. He is the youngest of our main midfield options and is having to adjust to a new country and completely new style of football. Perhaps we should give him more time to develop and show what he can do as it is patently obvious that he has the attributes to be a success IMO.

EH54
03-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Not really accurate though is it Scotland at stages of Swanson career have been as low as 80s and 70s,

LaMotta
03-01-2018, 11:47 AM
While I don't think the international cap comparison tells us much, I do think Slivka's age has been greatly ignored by those looking to dismiss him. He is the youngest of our main midfield options and is having to adjust to a new country and completely new style of football. Perhaps we should give him more time to develop and show what he can do as it is patently obvious that he has the attributes to be a success IMO.

First of all noone is looking to dismiss him - maybe just looking for evidence on the pitch of the obvious great talent being proclaimed by so many.

On the age point, there is plenty time for him to develop however worth noting Slivka is 6 months younger than McGinn and 3 years older than Oli Shaw.

Sammy7nil
03-01-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't think anyone has written him off completely some think he still has a lot to prove whilst others were proclaiming him as the messiah after 90 minutes at Ibrox against one of the worst the rangers teams in living memory.

As I said a good squad player who I hope proves me wrong and becomes an automatic first team choice.

LaMotta
03-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Not really accurate though is it Scotland at stages of Swanson career have been as low as 80s and 70s,

If Swanson was Lithuanian he would have 100 caps by now:greengrin

LaMotta
03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
I don't think anyone has written him off completely some think he still has a lot to prove whilst others were proclaiming him as the messiah after 90 minutes at Ibrox against one of the worst the rangers teams in living memory.

As I said a good squad player who I hope proves me wrong and becomes an automatic first team choice.

correct mate.

Firestarter
03-01-2018, 12:12 PM

He never once said he didn't try for them.