PDA

View Full Version : Tom English...one of them???

Spike Mandela
30-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Anyone watch Billy Dodds calling out Tom English as a Hearts fan on the BBC final score today?

Is this true or a piss take on what we think of him?

Thecat23
30-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Anyone watch Billy Dodds calling out Tom English as a Hearts fan on the BBC final score today?

Few folk on here I’m sure said he was a jambo as well. No shock you only seem to get a job if you have a love in with them.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Few folk on here I’m sure said he was a jambo as well. No shock you only seem to get a job if you have a love in with them.

I thought he was a Rugby Man, that probably confirms it though.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2017, 07:43 PM
No idea who he supports but I like English. Calls it as he sees it and put his point across well.

When we were crap he said it and when we have been good he's been full of praise for us.

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 07:44 PM

He's one of the few pundits/journalists that talks any sense, so I have quite a lot of time for him. And given that he is, er, Irish, I doubt very much that he supports Hearts.....

Bostonhibby
30-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Bit of an egg chaser hence his appreciation of the finer points of pottery.
Sadly I think sometimes he's not too bad.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Mr White
30-12-2017, 07:47 PM
He seems to have a soft spot for them but as others have already pointed out he's usually pretty fair and reasonable in his coverage of Scottish football.

Lago
30-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Not just a pundit, but a decent sports journalist. Always pretty unbiased reporting I think.

Mr White
30-12-2017, 07:54 PM
He's one of the few pundits/journalists that talks any sense, so I have quite a lot of time for him. And given that he is, er, Irish, I doubt very much that he supports Hearts.....

Why wouldn't he? There are many non-catholics in ROI, particularly in some of the counties around Dublin- Wicklow for example. The sectarian foot-kicking nonsense that a lot of Scottish football supporters prefer to view the world through isn't universally recognised or acknowledged by many in ROI. Obviously Mr English will know all about it but that doesn't mean he feels the need to conform to it and he may very well be a jambo prick :greengrin

Spike Mandela
30-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Always good to know what team a journalist supports when he’s giving his ‘unbiased’ opinion though eh?

Mr White
30-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Always good to know what team a journalist supports when he’s giving his ‘unbiased’ opinion though eh?

I always worry what Chick's going to say when we're playing St Mirren :greengrin

Spike Mandela
30-12-2017, 08:01 PM
I always worry what Chick's going to say when we're playing St Mirren :greengrin

No, I meant who they reaaallly support.😀

Pete
30-12-2017, 08:02 PM
I used to like him and find him very reasonable but suddenly, he’s a ****

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2017, 08:03 PM
He'll just talk about the 'glorious Glasgow Rangers', as always.

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Why wouldn't he? There are many non-catholics in ROI, particularly in some of the counties around Dublin- Wicklow for example. The sectarian foot-kicking nonsense that a lot of Scottish football supporters prefer to view the world through isn't universally recognised or acknowledged by many in ROI. Obviously Mr English will know all about it but that doesn't mean he feels the need to conform to it and he may very well be a jambo prick :greengrin

Erm... I didn't mean it in that sense. I just meant he's from a different country, therefore it's unlikely he supports any team from Edinburgh. From experience of visits to Ireland, there are numbers from the North (obviously) who support Septic/Rankers, and a good number from Donegal who support Septic. Further south, however, they all seem to support English teams, and have very little interest in anything Scottish. And they are often more interested in other sports too.

hibby6270
30-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Has everyone forgotten his comments on Spotscene after the Cup Final? My opinion of him went way downhill immediately. Thought was good up until then.

Total lies. Total fabrication. All said to provoke a reaction. Not a good word to be said. His tone of degrading Hibs fans to be the dregs of **** have stayed with me since then. All that he said had no factual substance, so if he’s that good a journalist, he would at least have tried to be honest and truthful rather than spouting some verbal diarrhoea like he did.

brianmc
30-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Piss take, surely.
I know from previous visits to Jambos Brokeback website that they hate him with a passion because he's an Irish, Catholic Celtic supporter(their opinions, not mine).

Surely it's time to close down the internet if we're now accepting at face value any gems of wisdom from Billy f***** Dodds???? 🤪

Mr White
30-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Erm... I didn't mean it in that sense. I just meant he's from a different country, therefore it's unlikely he supports any team from Edinburgh. From experience of visits to Ireland, there are numbers from the North (obviously) who support Septic/Rankers, and a good number from Donegal who support Septic. Further south, however, they all seem to support English teams, and have very little interest in anything Scottish. And they are often more interested in other sports too.
Fair enough apologies for taking it the wrong way but it's not an uncommon misconception in my experience.

As to why someone from another country would support an Edinburgh team? Perhaps he studied in Edinburgh? He lives in Scotland and writes about Scottish football for a living so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he had a preference for a particular team would it?

cleanyman
30-12-2017, 08:27 PM
He's a tim

Carheenlea
30-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Tom English is a Liverpool supporter. Like many of his Limerick pals growing up it was the lure of English football and not Scottish football that captured their attention. He's mentioned it a few times.

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Fair enough apologies for taking it the wrong way but it's not an uncommon misconception in my experience.

As to why someone from another country would support an Edinburgh team? Perhaps he studied in Edinburgh? He lives in Scotland and writes about Scottish football for a living so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he had a preference for a particular team would it?

No worries. And yeah, suppose you could be right. I would probably doubt it 'though. But he's on Twitter, I believe, so perhaps someone could ask him - it wouldn't be the maddest thing he's been asked on Twitter... And linking that to your point, one of the reasons I have time for him is that alongside Graham Spiers, he's one of the very few journalists to publicly lambast The Rangers for the recent resurgence in sectarian singing (via Twitter too, I think, resulting in the predictable vile nonsense being hurled at him).

Mr White
30-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Tom English is a Liverpool supporter. Like many of his Limerick pals growing up it was the lure of English football and not Scottish football that captured their attention. He's mentioned it a few times.

That sounds a bit like Chick claiming to be a Buddy :devil:

Firestarter
30-12-2017, 08:36 PM
He spent a few years as no bad seeing independent and sticking it to the Huns. He's changed massively in the last couple of years and now corporation.

Sprouleflyer
30-12-2017, 08:38 PM
From English’s BBC report

And Hearts were denied a late penalty when Lewis Stevenson appeared to control a free-kick with his right arm.

Denied a late penalty? Really Tom, herzt ****!

Mr White
30-12-2017, 08:39 PM
No worries. And yeah, suppose you could be right. I would probably doubt it 'though. But he's on Twitter, I believe, so perhaps someone could ask him - it wouldn't be the maddest thing he's been asked on Twitter... And linking that to your point, one of the reasons I have time for him is that alongside Graham Spiers, he's one of the very few journalists to publicly lambast The Rangers for the recent resurgence in sectarian singing (via Twitter too, I think, resulting in the predictable vile nonsense being hurled at him).
I'd like to hear him get stuck into hearts for... well it's too long to list it all but pretty much everything they've done since 2005 for starters :greengrin

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 08:47 PM

And Hearts were denied a late penalty when Lewis Stevenson appeared to control a free-kick with his right arm.

Right enough, that in itself must mean he is a Hearts fan..

(I'd do that rolling eyes thing here, but I can't be arsed)

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 08:49 PM
I'd like to hear him get stuck into hearts for... well it's too long to list it all but pretty much everything they've done since 2005 for starters :greengrin

Agreed....

In fairness, I think I have heard him criticise them frequently.

Mr White
30-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Agreed....

In fairness, I think I have heard him criticise them frequently.

He was surely raging when his laptop got rained on the other week...

Lago
30-12-2017, 09:10 PM

There were some hibs fans who were at the game who thought it was a penalty.

stoneyburn hibs
30-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Has everyone forgotten his comments on Spotscene after the Cup Final? My opinion of him went way downhill immediately. Thought was good up until then.

Total lies. Total fabrication. All said to provoke a reaction. Not a good word to be said. His tone of degrading Hibs fans to be the dregs of **** have stayed with me since then. All that he said had no factual substance, so if he’s that good a journalist, he would at least have tried to be honest and truthful rather than spouting some verbal diarrhoea like he did.

Well said, and I've said it before regarding him. Probably against the grain that I don't think he's all that good at journalism, certainly not when it comes to Scottish football. He's a sensationalist without any substance when it comes to the here and now regarding the football. Always looking for an angle that is popular and what people want to hear.

Dashing Bob S
30-12-2017, 09:19 PM
He’s a tiresome nonentity who only gets a bit of traction in this backwater due to our subzero expectations withnour litany of dullard sectarian bores. Anywhere else and he’s an even bigger irrelevance than he is here.

JimboHibs
30-12-2017, 09:22 PM
He’s a tiresome nonentity who only gets a bit of traction in this backwater due to our subzero expectations withnour litany of dullard sectarian bores. Anywhere else and he’s an even bigger irrelevance than he is here.

Plenty of those on here #obsessed.

Tornadoes70
30-12-2017, 10:40 PM
He was a bit of a breath of fresh air when he first came onto the pundit scene however he rarely says anything of note now. He certainly appears to have joined the never say anything negative regarding the Yams usual suspects. I suspect Fat Biscuits is running the show at BBC Sportsound these days and has been for some time now.

Baader
30-12-2017, 10:44 PM
He was a bit of a breath of fresh air when he first came onto the pundit scene however he rarely says anything of note now. He certainly appears to have joined the never say anything negative regarding the Yams usual suspects. I suspect Fat Biscuits is running the show at BBC Sportsound these days and has been for some time now.

That clown couldnae run a bath. No chance he is anything other than the 'provocative but dim' pundit amongst the Sportsound setup.

The Baldmans Comb
30-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Wee Doadsy paid his taxes yet.?

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2017, 11:19 PM

:agree: I listened to him being interviewed on a podcast a couple of months ago and that’s what he said.

Ringothedog
30-12-2017, 11:21 PM
He's a tim

Classy

AFKA5814_Hibs
30-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Don't see it myself tbh. Can be a bit outspoken but doesn't really come across as a fan of any team.

jacomo
30-12-2017, 11:44 PM
On the list of things wrong with Scottish football, Tom English isn't close to the top 100.

A decent journalist who has an opinion but also takes his job seriously.

pacorosssco
30-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Don't see it myself tbh. Can be a bit outspoken but doesn't really come across as a fan of any team. a bit like traynor and chick young. Doesnt seem to have glasgow baggage which i like. better than most .

basehibby
30-12-2017, 11:54 PM
I used to like him and find him very reasonable but suddenly, he’s a ****

:tee hee: - yeah I know what you mean - still though as an Irish Scottish Football Reporter called English he's surely got to be the butt of some kind of joke "marooned" just about fits the bill

Mantis Toboggan
31-12-2017, 12:06 AM
How anyone can even subject themselves to sportsound is beyond me. Just use an app for scores and you can avoid listening to morons shouting at each other about rangers.
English is far from the worst of said bunch.

pacorosssco
31-12-2017, 12:21 AM
How anyone can even subject themselves to sportsound is beyond me. Just use an app for scores and you can avoid listening to morons shouting at each other about rangers.
English is far from the worst of said bunch.

indeed and waste of tax payers money paying these idiots

DickieDastardly
31-12-2017, 12:30 AM
I’m surprised at this thread as I thought it was pretty well known he has a great deal of affinity for Hibs, he has mentioned it more than once that there is no better anthem than Sunshine on Leith when in full flow from the stands. I also spoke to him at the Scotland v Samoa World Cup match at St James park a couple of years ago and he was full of praise for the way Stubbs had us playing, said he always enjoyed covering Hibs matches.

Now bearing in mind he is a professional and senior sports journalist I’d say that was pretty high praise.

He’s a good guy in my book.

Tornadoes70
31-12-2017, 12:44 AM
I’m surprised at this thread as I thought it was pretty well known he has a great deal of affinity for Hibs, he has mentioned it more than once that there is no better anthem than Sunshine on Leith when in full flow from the stands. I also spoke to him at the Scotland v Samoa World Cup match at St James park a couple of years ago and he was full of praise for the way Stubbs had us playing, said he always enjoyed covering Hibs matches.

Now bearing in mind he is a professional and senior sports journalist I’d say that was pretty high praise.

He’s a good guy in my book.

What you say is probably all very true and he is a good guy to have a pint with and a chat. However from the good positive start of attempting to give a different viewpoint of the Scottish game and different from the usual sycophants who've always had their voices heard he now seems to be losing his voice. It happens I suppose.

ekhibee
31-12-2017, 02:05 AM
Yeh, for some reason they all try to keep on Preston's good side, English is no different from the rest of them that way. I dislike Preston more than anyone else on Sportsound, and that's saying something considering how many people with Hearts affiliations are on the programme regularly.

patlowe
31-12-2017, 06:07 AM
He's clearly an articulate guy but he's very much on the media gravy train in Scotland. By that I mean he gets oodles of airtime by having a clear 'take' on everything while actually paying very little attention to detail, particularly around the circumstances of non-OF clubs. He's above Chick Young, Keith Jackson et al in the intelligence stakes IMO but, like those guys, a general indifference and ignorance for everything outside Glasgow means you need to take all comments with a pinch of salt.

green day
31-12-2017, 07:18 AM
I much preferred English when he was a print media journalist, and having listened to him interviewed, he prefers it - he can analyse, think, review, then write.

Print started to go mammaries skyward, so he jumped to BBC - sensibly, for his career - however it means he needs to give kneejerk and often poorly thought out responses to situations.

I don't think he is biased, and I will guarantee that fans of all big clubs will have had the same thought " he's a Hun, he's a Jambo, he's a hibby, he's a Celtic fan, that guy hates us" simply because he has to give instant feedback on the radio.

If we start getting up towards 2nd, I am certain he will be piling on the praise.

Brizo
31-12-2017, 07:31 AM
He's a proper journalist and an articulate one compared to the likes of Keith Jackson and Chick Young. He's also light years ahead of Doddsy,Boydy,Prestony who have trouble stringing a sentence together and who must have the likes of Bob Crampsey spinning in his grave.

Having said that I often find he says a lot without really saying anything but that's the same with all pundits

Fact that he's universally hated by the Huns and the diets can only be a good thing ,particularly as four of the characters mentioned in my first paragraph are full blown huns....and the other is Preston

My understanding is also that English is a Liverpool fan.People on here assuming he's a Celtc fan because he's from ROI is stereotyping worthy of kickback.

SonOfDavidFrancey
31-12-2017, 09:14 AM
responses here very surprising. English seems to me a pretty balanced, says it as he sees it type.
Compare and contrast with an A1 bellend like Robbie Savage.

G B Young
31-12-2017, 09:57 AM
He's not a Hearts fan. Most yams hate him. Rugby's his main passion.

Hard to believe a Hearts fan would write something like this:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/tom-english-when-even-the-supporters-are-diving-hearts-have-a-problem-1-1352623

BullsCloseHibs
31-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Radio Scotland pundits were having a good dash yesterday at the boring style of play of Homofc

Difficult to argue.

Spike Mandela
31-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Just curious why Dodds said it so openly on national tv. Quite funny actually as it was in regard to a boring 0-0 game in England when Dodds said Something like " As Tom's a Hearts fan he likes nil nils so best get him to analyse it"😁

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2017, 12:51 PM
English is one of the few journalists/pundits I enjoy listening to. At least he can put a sentence together; same for Spiers.