PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Killie 30 December)

Jonnyboy
30-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Taking three points at home against Kilmarnock was never going to be an easy task as their last five results clearly indicated. Wins against the Rangers, Motherwell, Partick Thistle and St Johnstone and a draw against Ross County earned Steve Clarke’s side thirteen points with twelve goals scored and only five goals conceded. Our own form had been decent but the results had not come the way I felt our performances deserved so a comfortable home win was never really on the cards.

As the players lined up to face the main stand it was a nice touch to see Kris Boyd take the time to shake the hand of every Hibs mascot, something other clubs captain’s rarely do. At that point I felt that although Boyd is not really a guy I admire, he softened the heart a wee bit. Less than two minutes later my heart hardened again as Boyd fired Killie into an early lead. A long high ball down their right side saw Boyd flick it on and Hibs defenders failing to make an effective clearance. As the ball came back to Boyd some twenty yards out the striker hit a sweet left foot drive that curled beyond Marciano before nestling in the bottom corner. It was a great strike and with the angle I watched it at, it was net bound from the second it left his boot sending the 1,200 or so traveling fans wild with delight.

For the next ten minutes or so Hibs were stunned and struggling to get a foothold in the game. Luckily, it seemed Killie thought the job was already done and began wasting time with Jamie MacDonald the biggest culprit. I noticed Steve Clarke on the touchline urging his players forward but much like the Hearts tactics on Wednesday night, it seemed Killie were content to punt the ball at Boyd and feed off the scraps. In that ten minutes I don’t recall Boyd missing out on winning a header against our centre half’s but thankfully Killie failed to capitalise.

Slowly but surely Hibs began to take control and a low diagonal drive into the box by Stevenson witnessed Stokes just failing to connect with the ball when it looked like any kind of touch might have brought a goal. Next, a superb Stokes pass sent Swanson free on the left but with team mates free in the centre, Danny decided to shoot and the ball went wide of the post.

A series of corners followed and from one of those, Oli Shaw equalised. A curling ball delivered by McGinn looked to have found the gloves of MacDonald but the former Hearts man fumbled it and Shaw pounced to stab the ball home. Next, another corner was met by McGregor but the big defender headed the ball over the bar. At the other end, Scott Boyd saw a header deflected wide for a corner but really it was Hibs forcing the issue with Shaw once again getting a shot off but MacDonald was equal to the task on that occasion.

A quick start to the second half saw Marciano get his fingertips to a drive by Jones but the resultant corner was easily dealt with. As the game wore on, Hibs took more and more control of proceedings as first Stokes went close with a low drive from a free kick and then Boyle volleyed a shot at goal with MacDonald beaten but the ball just cleared the bar and hit the top of the net. The pattern of play was one I’ve become accustomed to seeing these days with Hibs well on top but unable to finish teams off. McGinn went close with a rocket shot from around twenty yards that struck the bar with the keeper beaten all ends up but the game just fizzled out thereafter.

The players

Rocky – unsighted for the goal so he was never going to reach it. Good fingertips save from a Jones rocket but little else to do in the game.

Efe – took a sore blow to the face at one point and made a few errors but his positive play far outweighed the negative.

Daz – struggled with Boyd in the first half but was much better in the second against both Boyd and his replacement.

Paul – like Daz he was beaten in the air on a number of occasions by a very physical Kris Boyd but came on to a decent game in the end. Was voted man of the match by the sponsors.

Lewis – bombed forward at every opportunity and defended well when required. His low drive in the first half deserved a better outcome.

Boyler – I was surprised Boyler made it as I thought his injury from Wednesday night might keep him out. Subdued in the first half and better in the second whilst unlucky that his volley cleared the bar.

McGeouch – always on the move and always looking to create I felt he was our best man today, just for his overall performance.

SJM – in what was quite possibly his last game for the club he ran himself into the ground and gave his all. I felt he was ‘saying’ goodbye to the fans as he went to all three home stands at the end.

Danny – good to see the wee man and I wasn’t surprised he didn’t last the ninety minutes given his lack of game time of late. Very clever with the ball at his feet but looked a bit rusty at times.

Oli – once again the youngster didn’t let anybody down. Worked hard both on and off the ball and took his poacher’s goal with ease.

Stokesy – I expect more from him as once again he was often a peripheral figure. When Shaw bust a gut to cut the ball back from the byeline, the youngster could understandably have expected his co-striker to be there or thereabouts but Stokes was stationary outside the box.

Simon – got a good twenty minutes but had no impact on proceedings at all.

Slivka – saw a fair bit of the ball and found a few passes but was caught in possession a couple of times, perhaps due to his lack of actual match time in the past several months.

Big Dave – another who maybe played his last game for Hibs? Got on to a few high balls with his head but nobody anticipated the flick on’s.

Neil – didn’t hear his after match interview but again he must be exasperated with his players failing to take chances to kill teams off.

The ref – I’m fed up moaning about them as they are all as bad as each other in my opinion.

The crowd – great numbers but very quiet for long spells.

Robinho08
30-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Good account of the game, I found it frustrating at times with the dominant spells but lacked the final third.

Crowd were very subdued and fair play on Killie bringing a decent support though and being more noisy.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2017, 07:07 PM
For me we need a midfielder with the ability and/or desire to arrive late into the box and finish. Twice today we had balls played across the box. The 1st time was after patient build up and Boyle crossed it, Stokes and Shaw split and went near and far post, the ball went to the penalty spot and McGinn was 25 yards from goal, Swanson 30 yards and McGeough barely past the half way line. Second time Shaw flashed one across goal after doing well to win a ball into the corner, Stokes was the only target in the middle and even he was barely in the box; the ball went right across goal with no one arriving late sneaking round the back to meet it. Can you imagine that happening in a team that contained someone like Pat McGinlay? I like our midfielders but not one of them has the ability to get 8-10 goals a season in this Hibs team and that's what we are lacking.

On the whole the game was same old, same old really. A lot of the ball, a lot of half chances, a lot of balls bouncing about the box, not many clear cut chances and an inability to win a match we dominated for the most part.

SteveHFC
30-12-2017, 07:14 PM
NL didn't do any post match stuff GP done them, BBC suggested NL was still in changing room with players

Smartie
30-12-2017, 07:25 PM
I was thinking of scores out of 10 and who I thought did well today and came to the conclusion that there was nothing between any of them.

Everyone got about 6 out of 10, nobody was brilliant, nobody was awful. Those who made the most obvious mistakes made up for them with good play in other places.

For some players from whom we expect less the 6 out of 10 is pretty good, for others it is quite a bit short of what we might expect.

It was all a bit "meh" but before the game many of us had identified it as a bit of a banana skin, so a draw isn't an awful result.

I think we need a break and will be stronger for having it.

When we made the subs, I thought that was us finished. Dave tries hard but lacks support when he wins flicks. Murray hasn't offered anything of note for weeks and Slivka is never a wide midfielder.

greenlex
30-12-2017, 07:29 PM
I was thinking of scores out of 10 and who I thought did well today and came to the conclusion that there was nothing between any of them.

Everyone got about 6 out of 10, nobody was brilliant, nobody was awful. Those who made the most obvious mistakes made up for them with good play in other places.

For some players from whom we expect less the 6 out of 10 is pretty good, for others it is quite a bit short of what we might expect.

It was all a bit "meh" but before the game many of us had identified it as a bit of a banana skin, so a draw isn't an awful result.

I think we need a break and will be stronger for having it.

When we made the subs, I thought that was us finished. Dave tries hard but lacks support when he wins flicks. Murray hasn't offered anything of note for weeks and Slivka is never a wide midfielder.
I think you are being harsh on McGinn in particular.

hibby6270
30-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I think you are being harsh on McGinn in particular.

I wouldn’t say so. As hard as he works in every game, for the past 3 or 4 games, McGinn has let the ‘Super’ tag drop from his name. May have been the wind today, as others were also guilty, but some of his passing was terrible today. Maybe eyes on a ‘bigger prize’ elsewhere? Let’s hope not eh?

Worthy of praise today though was Danny Swanson. Out for some time and played probably his most effective game for us so far. He obviously tired but signs are he might be on the way back which is great. Could still be the midfielder in the box we need. Unlucky with his shot past the post in first half.

Rest of JB’s summary pretty much spot on.

greenlex
30-12-2017, 07:51 PM
I wouldn’t say so. As hard as he works in every game, for the past 3 or 4 games, McGinn has let the ‘Super’ tag drop from his name. May have been the wind today, as others were also guilty, but some of his passing was terrible today. Maybe eyes on a ‘bigger prize’ elsewhere? Let’s hope not eh?

Worthy of praise today though was Danny Swanson. Out for some time and played probably his most effective game for us so far. He obviously tired but signs are he might be on the way back which is great. Could still be the midfielder in the box we need. Unlucky with his **** past the post in first half.

Could disagree about McGinn more. He was more like himself today. Most of his passing was exceptional and of course hit the woodwork from range. Corners were as good as they’ve been all season. I’m not sure what else he could do to be honest. If anyone was up for one final competative look at him that will possibly be the last we see of him in a Hibs Jersey.

Famous Fiver
30-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Opinions, eh.

Anyone who thinks MGinn is poor makes me weep.

Central to everything we do.

We'll be a poorer team without him.

lyonhibs
30-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Worthy of praise today though was Danny Swanson. Out for some time and played probably his most effective game for us so far. He obviously tired but signs are he might be on the way back which is great. Could still be the midfielder in the box we need. Unlucky with his **** past the post in first half.

Swanson was lucky to not see red for his public defecation in the first half IMO.

hibby6270
30-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Opinions right enough. Seems I was at a different game than everyone else today.
Think I need a winter break.:greengrin

hibby6270
30-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Swanson was lucky to not see red for his public defecation in the first half IMO.

LOL. Get your comment now I’ve reread my post. Now corrected.:wink:

Vini1875
30-12-2017, 08:14 PM
13 attempts on goal, 2 on target is really poor and that is without mentioning the cross balls and final passes that go astray. With a little composure in front of goal we could picking a lot more points.

JimBHibees
30-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Could disagree about McGinn more. He was more like himself today. Most of his passing was exceptional and of course hit the woodwork from range. Corners were as good as they’ve been all season. I’m not sure what else he could do to be honest. If anyone was up for one final competative look at him that will possibly be the last we see of him in a Hibs Jersey.

Thought he was great today totally dominated the much vaunted Killie midfield don't get any girning about SJM today.

Mantis Toboggan
30-12-2017, 08:30 PM
We lack an out and out striker. Two balls went right across the 6 yard line today begging for a tap in. Stokes was way too deep for most of the game. Other than that I thought there were decent performances throughout the team, Kilmarnock have been going well and we hardly gave them a sniff of goal.

yonder1875
30-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Thought McGinn was really good today.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 08:44 PM
I thought McGinn was very good too. Unlucky not to score and played some nice 50 yard passes. Swanson for the first half was very good too. We just need another player who actually likes being in the box to complement Shaw

Not In The Know
30-12-2017, 08:51 PM
For me we need a midfielder with the ability and/or desire to arrive late into the box and finish. Twice today we had balls played across the box. The 1st time was after patient build up and Boyle crossed it, Stokes and Shaw split and went near and far post, the ball went to the penalty spot and McGinn was 25 yards from goal, Swanson 30 yards and McGeough barely past the half way line. Second time Shaw flashed one across goal after doing well to win a ball into the corner, Stokes was the only target in the middle and even he was barely in the box; the ball went right across goal with no one arriving late sneaking round the back to meet it. Can you imagine that happening in a team that contained someone like Pat McGinlay? I like our midfielders but not one of them has the ability to get 8-10 goals a season in this Hibs team and that's what we are lacking.

On the whole the game was same old, same old really. A lot of the ball, a lot of half chances, a lot of balls bouncing about the box, not many clear cut chances and an inability to win a match we dominated for the most part.

With a wee bit luck Slivka could be this player.

O'Rourke3
30-12-2017, 08:59 PM
A fair reflection again JB. Delighted as I was to see Danny S back I thought he tried too hard took, too many touches and ovecomplicated things at times. It will take him some time to get back up to full speed but he seemed more interested in scoring than us winning. Passes for better chances were on and missed or avoided.

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I left the ground actually genuinely feeling sorry for the players, for the umpteenth time this season we dominated a team and didn't get the result we deserved. I am not absolving the players from blame because clearly they need to do better in taking the chances our good play set up, but we seem to have absolutely no luck at either end of the pitch, we don't get penalties we should and even when we do get the ball over the line the officials miss it. On the occasions we do create panic in the box by winning the ball from a corner or free kick the bounce of the ball never seems to go our way.

Marciano .... 7 ..... Absolutely no chance with the goal and played pretty well apart from that.

Ambrose ..... 7 ..... Thought he had a good game and his attacking play was right up there.

Hanlon ..... 8 ..... Had a tough time with Boyd but no wonder, the guy gets bigger every time you see him. That aside Paul was controlled and effective throughout the game.

McGregor .... 7 .... Had the same bother with Boyd as Hanlon did, but came onto a very good game winning the vast majority of his challenges.

Stevenson .... 7 ..... He is on good form just now and continued that yesterday, the wee guy is tireless.

McGeouch .... 7 ..... Kept the ball moving and buzzed about like he did against Hearts, its great to see him playing regularly.

McGinn .... 7 ..... His most effective game for a while, yes he had a few misplaced passes, but by and large he was very good, unlucky to just hit the bar with the keeper beaten and savvy enough to take one for the team near the end.

Swanson ..... 6 ...... I thought he did very well considering his lack of game time, he clearly couldn't sustain his first half performance in the second and perhaps his desperation to score made him a bit greedy when a pass would have been the better option, but that was a decent shift from him.

Boyle .... 6 ..... For me he was a bit too static at times allowing himself to be pinned on the touchline when a run inside would have given the Hibs player on the ball a better option for a pass, a fantastic volley that deserved a goal, what a cracker it would have been.

Stokes ..... 6 ...... Did ok but failed to have much influence in the final third, like another poster said he should have gambled on Shaw winning the ball down on the touchline but stayed where he was outside the box and as a result was nowhere when Shaw got a great ball across. Even I could see the possibility of a chance if Shaw did win the ball, as he did, and I expect a player of Stokes quality to at least be as aware as me FFS.

Shaw .... 7 ..... Scored again and made some very good runs that were either missed or ignored by the guy on the ball, at one point in the second half he made a super run and even pointed to where he wanted the ball played, you could see his exasperation when the pass didn't come.

SUBS:

Slivka ..... 5 ..... Showed in flashes what a good player he can be, at one point beating a couple of Killie players with a clever flick with his heel, but also a bit slack in possession at times.

Murray .... 4 ..... Didn't make much difference up front, but tried hard to close down defenders as he does.

Mateluvicius .... 4 ..... As usual given 5 minutes to show what a star he can be, won a few headers with no takers around him for the 2nd ball.

Franck Stanton
31-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Cannae agree with Stokes getting a 6 yesterday. Now before all the Stokes lovers slaughter me, I genuinely think Stokes has great skill, and WHEN he can be bothered, is one of the best strikers in the country. It is not his skill that I question, just his application. Personally I would have given him a 4 for his performance yesterday.

Jonnyboy
31-12-2017, 07:43 PM

:agree:

JimBHibees
31-12-2017, 08:04 PM

I would say both incidents the second striker needs to be much closer the lack of desire from both Stokes and Danny for Shaws cutback genuinely didn't think he was going to get to it. For Boyle cutback no idea why Stokes seemed to be 10 yards beyond the back post.

Forza Fred
31-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Cannae agree with Stokes getting a 6 yesterday. Now before all the Stokes lovers slaughter me, I genuinely think Stokes has great skill, and WHEN he can be bothered, is one of the best strikers in the country. It is not his skill that I question, just his application. Personally I would have given him a 4 for his performance yesterday.

I think John's description of him as being 'peripheral' sums it up perfectly.

As probably our biggest wage earner, and his status as a 'senior' member of the squad, it is natural that more is expected of him than say a nelly promoted Academy graduate like Oli.

He was after all signed because of his reputation/previous deeds, but instead of being someone whom I thought/hoped would have been the first name I expected to see on the team sheet, I'm afraid in my thinking he has just become another squad player.

It seems for many it is a sin to even suggest Stokes's flame may not be on fire as hot as we all would have wanted/expected, but while he is obviously a talented player, he very often leaves me disappointed in his performances.

weecounty hibby
31-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Agree with most of what has already been said and I thought we played ok and certainly well enough for 3 points. What no one has mentioned yet is that yet again we have come up against a team who are happy to kick, pull, elbow, block us all over the park as well as waste time pretty much right from the second minute and referees do not take any meaningful action. It is getting to the stage where you can write the script, minimum of three bookings per opponent and at least one should see red. Killie No 11 could have been booked at least three times yesterday and elbowed Dylan off the ball that could have been straight red

G B Young
02-01-2018, 09:26 AM

I wasn't there but judging by the BBC highlights Stokes showed some excellent touches, put in some great passes and his body language didn't look like that of a player who couldn't be bothered. I can only assume the highlights picked out pretty much the ONLY good things he did?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42529851

BSEJVT
02-01-2018, 10:20 AM
I wasn't there but judging by the BBC highlights Stokes showed some excellent touches, put in some great passes and his body language didn't look like that of a player who couldn't be bothered. I can only assume the highlights picked out pretty much the ONLY good things he did?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42529851

As a long time defender of Stokes I would have to say he is a conundrum.

As you rightly state he is capable of passages of brilliance but as others have also said for a lot of the time he doesn't do enough.

I thought he was sensational a couple of weeks ago, cant remember who it was against, but has then gone back to being meh.

Anyone who has ever had any ability at a sport will recognise the inexorable decline in their ability as they have gone beyond their peak and started down the road towards their version of mediocrity.

Every once in a while it all goes right again for a brief spell and the hope that the inevitable can be staved on resurfaces.

I am afraid that I think that is what we are seeing with Stokes, the odd blockbuster performance in a sea of mediocrity.

IMO he is still worthy of his place in the team, but week in week out wont justify the top of the bill headlines and income he gets.

Its a pity in many ways as those that climb to the greatest heights also have further to fall and they often get far less understanding as they start their decent than those who never got beyond base camp.

Paisley Hibby
02-01-2018, 12:47 PM
With a wee bit luck Slivka could be this player.

The new McGinn?? Canny see it.

Paisley Hibby
02-01-2018, 12:50 PM
I think John's description of him as being 'peripheral' sums it up perfectly.

As probably our biggest wage earner, and his status as a 'senior' member of the squad, it is natural that more is expected of him than say a nelly promoted Academy graduate like Oli.

He was after all signed because of his reputation/previous deeds, but instead of being someone whom I thought/hoped would have been the first name I expected to see on the team sheet, I'm afraid in my thinking he has just become another squad player.

It seems for many it is a sin to even suggest Stokes's flame may not be on fire as hot as we all would have wanted/expected, but while he is obviously a talented player, he very often leaves me disappointed in his performances.

If we could get a couple of players who can read his game better he'll be a hell of an asset for us.