PDA

View Full Version : I love this Hibs team..we are going in the right direction..

GreenCastle
30-12-2017, 05:54 PM
It’s been a long time since we dominated so many different teams in the top league.

Today felt like an old Championship game where the opposition didn’t do much except take their limited opportunities.

Aberdeen Away is the only game this season where I feel we didn’t turn up and they dominated us.

Been a while since Hibs controlled so much of the game in the top league.

What Lennon needs to do is find a Latapy type player who can add goals and creative spark in the final 3rd. We have added the pace and width we needed for years and now we need that killer ball or quite simply more goals from central midfield.

Latapy teams didn’t dominate teams as much as this team but they had a killer instinct at times.

This isn’t easy or cheap to find but add that in and we would definitely be higher in the table.

Our expectations have risen and I do give the manager and players massive credit for making Hibs enjoyable to watch again. I feel we are on the right path and I trust Lennon to keep improving us.

Happy New Year everyone and looking forward to seeing how this Hibs team approach the 2nd half of the season. Keep the faith !

Malthibby
30-12-2017, 06:00 PM
It’s been a long time since we dominated so many different teams in the top league.

Today felt like an old Championship game where the opposition didn’t do much except take their limited opportunities.

Aberdeen Away is the only game this season where I feel we didn’t turn up and they dominated us.

What Lennon needs to do is find a Latapy type player who can add goals and creative spark in the final 3rd. We have added the pace and width we needed for years and now we need that killer ball or quite simply more goals from central midfield.

Latapy teams didn’t dominate teams as much as this team but they had a killer instinct at times.

This isn’t easy or cheap to find but add that in and we would definitely be higher in the table.

Our expectations have risen and I do give the manager and players massive credit for making Hibs enjoyable to watch again. I feel we are on the right path and I trust Lennon to keep improving us.

Happy New Year everyone and looking forward to seeing how this Hibs team approach the 2nd half of the season. Keep the faith !

:thumbsup: Saved me doing this. Happy Clapper time again, pump Hurts in the cup to set off a great 2018.
GG

GreenCastle
30-12-2017, 06:06 PM
It’s hard to get really annoyed at this team - it’s just annoying we aren’t higher in table as we batter so many teams.

Winning ugly verus good football - we need to find the middle ground something Aberdeen seem to have done but they still bottle it against Celtic and the Huns.

Ozyhibby
30-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Until it learns how to score goals this Hibs team has peaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
30-12-2017, 06:11 PM
I posted this on another thread, but probably lives here -

So, lets be honest - today was a bit disappointing, we would have loved 3 points, and on balance of play probably deserved it.

However, at Killie, they ouplayed us and we came away with a 3-0 victory - also, we had a tough midweek match on a tattie field.

As to the season so far?

I thought it worth comparing us with comparable point in last years Premiership.

2016/2017 after 22 matches -

Hearts were in 4th spot, had 31 points and a GD of +8

They also had St Johnstone breathing down their collar on same points, but with a slightly poorer GD.

Jambos lost Neilson and ultimately ended up 5th.

2017/2018 after 22 matches -

We are in 4th spot, have 35 points, and a GD of +4 and a 5 point cushion on the Gorgie Galacticos.

Without playing the happy clapper card (our home form is crap) we are actually doing not too bad in what is clearly a better league than where we were last season.

No question we need to improve, but as I was feeling a bit pissed off, I think this puts things in perspective.

Nicho87
30-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Subs for me said it all. We lack real quality coming of the bench just now. A player that has been told he is free to go. Slivka - jury out and imo not a goalscorer and Murray who is not on form.

We are a bit behind the dons

neil7908
30-12-2017, 06:29 PM
We're where we deserve to be in the league but definitely need a few more players if we want to challenge.

Lennon has done well this year. His real challenge will be keeping the best parts of the team together and adding the extra pieces to take us to the next level.

It's not going to be easy though. We could be looking at losing McGinn, McGeough and whoever else in the next few months.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2017, 06:46 PM

:top marks

The only thing is, there is a delicate balance to be struck: can we make improvements whilst also retaining our top players? For a club our size it's impossible to make continuous improvement, as our top players will be sold. It's always a case of trying to take two steps forward and only one back. Like most clubs, we are always liable to become a victim of our own success.

The_Exile
30-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Loads of positives but I feel we are sorely lacking a creative force, someone who can make things happen, we need to move better in the final third and create openings for our team mates. We have some really good players though and the future of the club looks very positive.

mjhibby
30-12-2017, 07:04 PM
We're where we deserve to be in the league but definitely need a few more players if we want to challenge.

Lennon has done well this year. His real challenge will be keeping the best parts of the team together and adding the extra pieces to take us to the next level.

It's not going to be easy though. We could be looking at losing McGinn, McGeough and whoever else in the next few months.

Could be but could also keep them and add to them. I don't know why everbody stresses over transfer windows. What will be will be. Far more interested in who might be coming in rather than who may go out. Sjm will go at a time of our choosing and if the price is right. Let all the usual ridiculous rumours begin.

Hi Heid Yin
30-12-2017, 07:08 PM
This is a very good Hibs side, and not many teams are better but perhaps are more consistent - ie Aberdeen.
Neil Lennon has us close to the team he wants it to be and I'm convinced that he has targets in mind and knows what is needed to take us to that next level, where possession and chances created are turned into more goals - our main failing this season.
I am thrilled by the season so far and to find us sitting comfortably 4th and streets ahead (entertainment-wise) of a dull, defensive-minded, workhorse named Hearts.

Borderhibbie76
30-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Loving this thread...it's important to remember where we've come from ie 3 years in championship and to be sitting clear in 4th within shooting distance of 3rd is decent at this stage. The frustration is it could and probably should have been so much better...Far too many games like today where we dominate and have to settle for a draw. Only Aberdeen away and accies at home have been poor and that's great consistency of performance. A couple of fresh faces required in Jan and we can hopefully.kick on after the break and at least try and nab 3rd from Der Hun

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cat Stanton
30-12-2017, 07:32 PM
:thumbsup: Saved me doing this. Happy Clapper time again, pump Hurts in the cup to set off a great 2018.
GG

'pump hurts' - is that a football take on the old Nazareth song?

hibsboy69
30-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Good thread, well done to the OP, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Nailed it sir :agree:

I enjoy watching Hibs play (yes we should have more points, but there are far more positives than negatives).

On the other hand my Hearts supporting friends hate the football on offer over the road.........brutal stuff.

Hibs Till We Die

:flag:

Brooster
30-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Teams are happy for us to have possession because the know we have no cutting edge. We are not as good as some think we are. We dont win too many games.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-12-2017, 08:22 PM
We are still drawing far too many games, a year ago we were also drawing far too many games - but in the lower league. That is progress, provided the flaws in the team (fairly easy to identify) can be addressed successfully there is no reason why we can't have an exciting second half of season to look forward to.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Teams are happy for us to have possession because the know we have no cutting edge. We are not as good as some think we are. We dont win too many games.
We lose far less than we win though. You honestly think Rangers were happy with us battering them? Nonsense. Teams are getting away with murder at Easter Road and it will change soon.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2017, 08:26 PM
We lose far less than we win though. You honestly think Rangers were happy with us battering them? Nonsense. Teams are getting away with murder at Easter Road and it will change soon.

When will it change? It's not just been an issue this season. Even in the championship last season we had teams like Ayr and Dumbarton taking points at ER.

It'll only change if we change something. If we keep doing the same things, we'll keep getting the same results.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Fair point made, but players who can open up defences regularly will cost money.....

Pete
30-12-2017, 08:30 PM
People were saying this would be a tough game because Killie were a form team. It turned into a tough game alright but only because they parked the bus and were time wasting from the first minute.

Maybe all these people moaning about our lack of cutting edge should look at the space Stokes, Boyle and Shaw got today: **** all!

Maybe the fact that we’re reducing these “form” teams to defensive, Mourinho style anti-football should be looked on as a positive.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2017, 08:36 PM
We need to add goals from somewhere or these days will keep happening. The draws that should be wins and the defeats that should be draws.

I can't fault this team for heart, effort, courage and a million other things. We lack that wee bit magic and creativity that unlocks teams that play like Kilmarnock did today (pretty much everyone that comes to ER). I keep hearing we are going to batter a team by 5 or 6 one day but that's been promised for months and seems a bit wishful thinking. I'd settle for a few more comfortable if unspectacular 2-0 wins instead.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2017, 08:36 PM
When will it change? It's not just been an issue this season. Even in the championship last season we had teams like Ayr and Dumbarton taking points at ER.

It'll only change if we change something. If we keep doing the same things, we'll keep getting the same results.Well we won the league and Ayr and Dumbarton didn't so whatever we were doing must have worked better than whatever they were doing over 36 games.

We'll be fine, we're a good side who need a couple of players. I trust us to pursue them and continue to improve. We are absolutely miles better than this time last year.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 08:40 PM

It'll only change if we change something. If we keep doing the same things, we'll keep getting the same results.

We only managed to get a single point more at ER in the Championship last year than we did on our travels. The Premier teams know our number, just as the Championship ones did and it is up to Lennon to come up with a plan B. I hope it doesn't include taking our most likely to score player off every week.

Stokes was similar in his first season in the Championship with only a couple of more points gathered at ER than away but he completely sorted that in the second season where our home league form was very good only dropping 8 points in 18 games and scoring more than 2.5 goals a games.

Bostonhibby
30-12-2017, 08:51 PM
We all like all of our attacking players, I do, but for whatever reason we're not scoring the goals to kill teams off when we are on top. However good it looks this is a concern. We are hopefully a work that is progressing well but missing pieces that the manager is aware of.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SideBurns
30-12-2017, 09:21 PM
We knock the ball about as well as anybody in this league - some of the football today was superb. However, we still try to walk the ball into the net and just don't turn our dominance into goals. If Swanson gets match fit he could help change that, but the lack of cutting edge/ composure/ ruthlessness (all three are lacking, to a greater or lesser degree) is costing us points. We're an entertaining team to watch, but I just wish we could get the wins our outfield play merits.

The Spaceman
30-12-2017, 09:25 PM
They all try hard and play for each other, as well as showing us glimpses of great football. Impossible not to love this team and we will soon start earning the 3 points we deserve out of games like today.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 09:32 PM
People were saying this would be a tough game because Killie were a form team. It turned into a tough game alright but only because they parked the bus and were time wasting from the first minute.

Maybe all these people moaning about our lack of cutting edge should look at the space Stokes, Boyle and Shaw got today: **** all!

Maybe the fact that we’re reducing these “form” teams to defensive, Mourinho style anti-football should be looked on as a positive.

Stokes was a statue, Boyle played deeper and narrower for long periods and then bizarrely got sent to play on the left whilst playing against a booked left back. Shaw played well today and had some nice pieces of play. He was easily marked though as he was the only Hibs player in the box. Danny Swanson found loads of space today. It's up to attackers to find space not defenders to surrender it. We are so slow going forward that most teams have their whole midfield back by the time we think about getting towards the box. You don't need to park the bus at Easter Road you can push it into position while Hibs are on the attack.

keep the faith
30-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Fair point made, but players who can open up defences regularly will cost money.....

There is one. Former hibs player. On loan at Dundee...

Won't go down well with some, but we need a creator and a finisher. Allan and Dobbie would be very smart signings for our current set up.

Borderhibbie76
30-12-2017, 09:53 PM

It'll only change if we change something. If we keep doing the same things, we'll keep getting the same results.You surely aren't comparing drawing with the likes of Dumbarton and Ayr to the likes of Killie and Motherwell...come on!! Yes we are drawing too many at home but we r a league up on this time last year and the opponents are a bit more challenging

GreenCastle
30-12-2017, 09:56 PM
An area we do need to improve...

Set pieces - most corners were better today - including getting a goal.

Stokes freekick was decent but over the past few weeks these have been poor.

I’m not sure Scott Allen would get into the team but he does have creativity.

Would be good if we see Swanson more and he starts scoring like he did at Saints - thought he did well today.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2017, 10:00 PM
You surely aren't comparing drawing with the likes of Dumbarton and Ayr to the likes of Killie and Motherwell...come on!! Yes we are drawing too many at home but we r a league up on this time last year and the opponents are a bit more challenging

I wasn't really comparing, just pointing out that our problems aren't anything new. All of the ball. Lack in the final third. Lose goals to opponents limited attacks.

I've commented elsewhere that we can be relatively happy with where we are, it's probably about right. Home form hasn't been good enough though and we need to find a way to change it.

Pete
30-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Stokes was a statue, Boyle played deeper and narrower for long periods and then bizarrely got sent to play on the left whilst playing against a booked left back. Shaw played well today and had some nice pieces of play. He was easily marked though as he was the only Hibs player in the box. Danny Swanson found loads of space today. It's up to attackers to find space not defenders to surrender it. We are so slow going forward that most teams have their whole midfield back by the time we think about getting towards the box. You don't need to park the bus at Easter Road you can push it into position while Hibs are on the attack.

As far as Stokes is concerned, I don’t think he was a statue. He just didn’t run around like a headless chicken because if he did, he still would have been well martialed and found space limited. I watched his movement and he did show for the ball and make intelligent runs but I think they were blocked off pretty rapidly.
Killie were very well organised today and deserve some credit. If anything, maybe changes like Dave and Slivka could have been made earlier to mix it up a wee bit and give them something different to think about.

Ozyhibby
30-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Scott Allan is worth considering. He got 18 assists last time he was here. Whether he has the necessary drive to play for a club like Hibs is another question.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 10:23 PM
As far as Stokes is concerned, I don’t think he was a statue. He just didn’t run around like a headless chicken because if he did, he still would have been well martialed and found space limited. I watched his movement and he did show for the ball and make intelligent runs but I think they were blocked off pretty rapidly.
Killie were very well organised today and deserve some credit. If anything, maybe changes like Dave and Slivka could have been made earlier to mix it up a wee bit and give them something different to think about.

I would love to see the stats on how many miles the players cover in a game. I do look at Stokes expecting to be disappointed and hoping to be delighted but I pay attention to what he is doing and he hardly covered any ground. No doubting how capable he can be put if he is miles from goals and hardly involved he is a man short.

I thought bringing Dave and Slivka on was essentially saying I am out of ideas or options. We looked far less likely to score when they came on from where I was sitting particularly as it forced Boyle over to the left. Killie do deserve some credit but we must be a dream to play against if you are happy with a point and hoping for a breakaway or set piece to get 3.

jodjam
30-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Midfielders making runs past the forwards. Driving into the box and committing defenders. Add that to this team and we will do just barry

neil7908
31-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Could be but could also keep them and add to them. I don't know why everbody stresses over transfer windows. What will be will be. Far more interested in who might be coming in rather than who may go out. Sjm will go at a time of our choosing and if the price is right. Let all the usual ridiculous rumours begin.

I wouldn't say I'm stressing, I'm looking forward to see who we bring in and said on another thread that as much as I'll be gutted to see SJM go, I think with the right signings we could be a better team.

However, it's rare that a clubs best player leaving does anything other than damage them (in the short term at least) so whilst I hope we'll get better, we also need to be realistic and accept that players could leave and see us weakened.

neil7908
31-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Scott Allan is worth considering. He got 18 assists last time he was here. Whether he has the necessary drive to play for a club like Hibs is another question.

I wouldn't take him back and I'm saying that objectively, without any bitterness about how he left us previously.

His form as Dundee has been poor as far as I can tell and I just don't see him achieving anything in the SPL again. I think he's probably not consistent or hardworking enough. Also, he won't solve the our biggest issue in midfield right now - scoring goals.

jacomo
31-12-2017, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't take him back and I'm saying that objectively, without any bitterness about how he left us previously.

His form as Dundee has been poor as far as I can tell and I just don't see him achieving anything in the SPL again. I think he's probably not consistent or hardworking enough. Also, he won't solve the our biggest issue in midfield right now - scoring goals.

:agree:

Can't keep revisiting the past.

Just Jimmy
31-12-2017, 07:52 AM
I think we are solid. However I do still have (I feel, justified) concerns about recruitment.

We will lose players this summer, if not January, and I'm not sure that what we've brought in since Stubbs left is a jump up in quality.

I watched that recruitment video the other day and it looks and sounds impressive but all the way through I was thinking that we do now seem to lean toward bringing in players NL worked with before or had a hibs connection. I fully admit this could be nothing but chance and they were the best player available at the time.

However, I just can't shake the feeling that we are replacing 'very good' players with 'good' players. That has an impact on continuity.

I will say Shaw has impressed and NL gets huge credit for trusting him. Hopefully he can be the penalty box striker we've badly needed for so long. It costs so much for goal scorers that it's much more efficient to produce them yourself.

Anyway - for me jury is out a bit and this is a big window. I also hope guys like Slivka and Swanson can use the rest of the year to kick on, to play a bigger part and to show they can be relevant next year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
03-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Bringing this back up from late 2017.

We now have our Latapy type in Scott Allan.

As Hibs fans we should fill ER every home game from now till the end of the season as it's a great group of players who will give us some fantastic entertainment.

Keep up the good work - it's great to have have HIBS making us all proud :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
03-02-2018, 09:56 PM

:top marks