PDA

View Full Version : This Hibs team

RossScott1991
30-12-2017, 04:50 PM
We are not far away. 2/3 additions to this squad.This team is becoming experts at not getting what they deserve. Another frustrating afternoon, we ran out of ideas in the end. What is the main issue ? The type of chances being created ? Or putting the ball away? McGinn I don’t is at his strongest when asked to be one of the main creative forces in the team. His best performances in a hibs shirt for me is when we play away and he can drive at teams rather than try break down teams that come to ER and sit.

However the biggest issue IMO is the real need for a striker, I just don’t know who is out there within our budget. I don’t think even lennon knows yet who he can trust as forward line has chopped and changed throughout the season.

Mr_F
30-12-2017, 04:58 PM
We’re a Jason Cummings away from being the 2nd best team in the country...

GreenCastle
30-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Stokes / Shaw / Murray have all scored goals.

It’s midfield that need to score more.

Though I do feel a Mixu / Holt quality would help as a plan B - just don’t think big Davey is at this level.

Smartie
30-12-2017, 05:05 PM
It's not far from being a great team.

We have problems at both ends - we need to cut out giving away the silly goals that put us in difficult positions.

We're very reliant on a very inconsistent Anthony Stokes.

Shaw's emergence has been very welcome, he looks the part and deserves to be starting every week.

My main worry is that we're more likely to lose the good players who make us a good team than we are to improve any of our weaknesses.

Things are going pretty well but our last 4 transfer windows haven't been great, and I'm not convinced we're any better than we were 2 years ago.

MSK
30-12-2017, 05:08 PM
We’re a Jason Cummings away from being the 2nd best team in the country...No were not, we are a bustling Striker in the Holt mould, a goalscoring Midfielder, a brute of a no nonsense Centre half & a confident Goalkeeper away from being near second best.

All in my humblest opinion

Thecat23
30-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Keeper, Attacking Mid, 2 strikers.

wookie70
30-12-2017, 05:12 PM
It's not far from being a great team.

We have problems at both ends - we need to cut out giving away the silly goals that put us in difficult positions.

We're very reliant on a very inconsistent Anthony Stokes.

Shaw's emergence has been very welcome, he looks the part and deserves to be starting every week.

My main worry is that we're more likely to lose the good players who make us a good team than we are to improve any of our weaknesses.

Things are going pretty well but our last 4 transfer windows haven't been great, and I'm not convinced we're any better than we were 2 years ago.

That is where I'm at. Nothing wrong with where we are at the moment but I am worried about this transfer window not looking forward to it. Our forwards look a slight step down from those under Stubbs. Swanson looks like he will play a part in us scoring more goals but if SJM goes I suspect we will concede even more. Huge window for Hibs and Lennon.

hibee_girl
30-12-2017, 05:13 PM

I’d say we’re a Grant Holt away

penihibs
30-12-2017, 05:16 PM
We are not far away. 2/3 additions to this squad.This team is becoming experts at not getting what they deserve. Another frustrating afternoon, we ran out of ideas in the end. What is the main issue ? The type of chances being created ? Or putting the ball away? McGinn I don’t is at his strongest when asked to be one of the main creative forces in the team. His best performances in a hibs shirt for me is when we play away and he can drive at teams rather than try break down teams that come to ER and sit.

However the biggest issue IMO is the real need for a striker, I just don’t know who is out there within our budget. I don’t think even lennon knows yet who he can trust as forward line has chopped and changed throughout the season.
As much as hate to say it Boyd in our team today would have had a hatrick.

cleanyman
30-12-2017, 05:18 PM
As I said weeks ago. Sign Boyd.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-12-2017, 05:20 PM
No were not, we are a bustling Striker in the Holt mould, a goalscoring Midfielder, a brute of a no nonsense Centre half & a confident Goalkeeper away from being near second best.

Scrap the no nonsense Centre Half. More than enough cover in that position plus Porteous waiting in the wings.

Nicho87
30-12-2017, 05:20 PM
As much as hate to say it Boyd in our team today would have had a hatrick.

Boyle cut back first half sums up our chances created this season. Nobody there.

Mr_F
30-12-2017, 05:22 PM
I’d say we’re a Grant Holt away

I obv missed him scoring 20+ goals a season over the last 3 seasons

Mr_F
30-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Boyle cut back first half sums up our chances created this season. Nobody there.

I give you J.Cummings

neil7908
30-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Agree with this but would also add a left back. Not saying Lewis should be displaced but he needs some competition or back up at the least.

horseflesh
30-12-2017, 05:26 PM
No were not, we are a bustling Striker in the Holt mould, a goalscoring Midfielder, a brute of a no nonsense Centre half & a confident Goalkeeper away from being near second best.

Agreed but maybe the goalie is not needed if we have a more commanding CH.

green day
30-12-2017, 05:31 PM
I give you J.Cummings

Aye, we know he is a good goalscorer - he re-signed on the understanding he could go in the summer, so no point going over the same ground yet again.

What next? We could have had Leigh for £150k?

gazzag70
30-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Absolutely agree! We miss the spark, the touch of magic that Cummings provided. We are far too predictable. We need a player to have us sitting on the edge of our seats.

Roxyhibee
30-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Defence is all over the place just now but has talent and will sort itself out in a few games time once we get one of our right backs returned and Daz sharpens up.

However, we are desperate for a quick thinking, hold up, turn defenders type striker.

hibee_girl
30-12-2017, 05:41 PM
I obv missed him scoring 20+ goals a season over the last 3 seasons

No one is saying he did but you can be damn sure he’d at least be in the box attacking a ball that fizzes along instead of being in midfield like our current strikers

lord bunberry
30-12-2017, 05:45 PM

I disagree with the centre half. We’ve got the best centre backs in the league.

MSK
30-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Scrap the no nonsense Centre Half. More than enough cover in that position plus Porteous waiting in the wings.Porteous def, I would expect Fontaine to be away soon & McGregor wont last forever, that said, moving on we poss need full backs if Gray & Whittaker are struggling. January for one or two to consolidate, summer for building for a challenge. We aint a million miles away but certainly could do with a bit more quality coming in.

MSK
30-12-2017, 05:54 PM
I disagree with the centre half. We’ve got the best centre backs in the league.No we dont

lord bunberry
30-12-2017, 05:58 PM
No we dont
Yes we do

Unseen work
Not concvinced about Bain, no better than Marciano imo.

Imo we need the following

Right back
Winger
Number 10
Striker

Baader
Swanson will be like a new signing when / if he does get starting. Be interested to see what he will bring.

Wish we could sign Adam Rooney...

wookie70
30-12-2017, 06:02 PM
No one is saying he did but you can be damn sure he’d at least be in the box attacking a ball that fizzes along instead of being in midfield like our current strikers

Holt would have been more likely to have been playing the ball in. He never got in the box anywhere near enough. I'm not sure we need Boyd but we do need a bustling centre forward who also scores goals as he does all his best work around the box. That was not Holt. Most of his best work was wrestling a right back.

MSK
30-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Yes we doWe dont, we were pretty solid earlier in the season but the past few months we have been leaking goals, not entirely through the centre but at times we have been weak in that area, Im not going to criticise individuals but I feel it is a position we could & should strengthen

thebakerboy
30-12-2017, 06:06 PM
I dont get this love in for Holt , he was very rarely doing the job he was paid to do and spent most of his time doing exactly what you say our current strikers are doing , HE WAS IN MIDFIELD or out on the wing or back helping in defence but he was paid to be a target man and this he did not do. What we need id a penalty box goal sniffer like Kris Boyd , Aly McCoist etc.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2017, 06:10 PM
I disagree with the centre half. We’ve got the best centre backs in the league.

On paper, maybe.

Collectively, it's not been the case this year. The number of goals we lose in relation to the number of attacks we actually face is frightening. In contrast, we have 60% of the ball most weeks, get in to double figures for corners most weeks but find it incredibly difficult to score.

Hi Heid Yin
30-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Attention of Admins:
Should this thread not be merged with the almost duplicate " I love this Hibs side" thread?

Lago
30-12-2017, 06:12 PM

And where does the money come for all those.

BSEJVT
30-12-2017, 06:27 PM
It's impossible not to like this Hibs team, but

You actually don't need to go to home games any longer as you can tell in advance what will happen:

We will lose a cheap early goal

We will batter teams and create chances

We won't take them

We will attack too slowly and face a packed defence and midfield

We won't have that guile to pass through it or forwards with the intelligence to make runs onto through balls

They will have 5 players booked

They will waste time from kick off and the ref will let them

We will eventually run out of ideas

cleanyman
30-12-2017, 06:29 PM
This team is full of legends but its coming to the end of a cycle.

We need fresh blood and the worrying thing is Lennon's signings have been a bit of a miss.

Borderhibbie76
30-12-2017, 06:32 PM
We’re a Jason Cummings away from being the 2nd best team in the country...Nail hit firmly on head mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mr_F
30-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Nail hit firmly on head mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:agree:

If we had replaced him with another goal scorer we’d be beating the likes of Killie & Hearts....

marleyhib
30-12-2017, 07:36 PM
We miss Cummings. Need a poacher, rest is pretty decent

MSK
30-12-2017, 07:36 PM
:agree:

If we had replaced him with another goal scorer we’d be beating the likes of Killie & Hearts....We have beaten Killie & hearts without Cummings

pacorosssco
30-12-2017, 11:35 PM
This team is full of legends but its coming to the end of a cycle.

We need fresh blood and the worrying thing is Lennon's signings have been a bit of a miss.

mcginn and dylan likely both gone by end season. rebuild on way anything could happen but still in much better shape than before.

Ozyhibby
31-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Be good if one of our signings could take corners, free kicks etc. We are grim in that dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2017, 02:28 AM
Be good if one of our signings could take corners, free kicks etc. We are grim in that dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that corner we scored from today. And vs Celtic...

jae
31-12-2017, 02:41 AM
Chris Kane would love to sign for Hibs I've heard

Zazu62
31-12-2017, 04:10 AM
And where does the money come for all those.

We must have money to spend. Crowds have been good. Plus record season ticket sales

Weir07
31-12-2017, 06:45 AM
It's impossible not to like this Hibs team, but

You actually don't need to go to home games any longer as you can tell in advance what will happen:

We will lose a cheap early goal

We will batter teams and create chances

We won't take them

We will attack too slowly and face a packed defence and midfield

We won't have that guile to pass through it or forwards with the intelligence to make runs onto through balls

They will have 5 players booked

They will waste time from kick off and the ref will let them

We will eventually run out of ideas

You're spot on with your assessment, every game is almost identical to the one before, I suppose it's a complement to Hibs the way teams line up against us but we have to do more to break them down, not just rely on Boyle and to a lesser extent Barker, to create chances.

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2017, 08:56 AM
We definitely need an 18 yard box predator, the number of balls we get in there with our strikers looking on from 5 yards away is incredible, how many would we have scored this season with, dare I say it, a John Robertson type player in the team.

Another poster mentioned our strikers don't make intelligent runs, but watch Oli Shaw, at least twice yesterday he made a great run into the channel but the player on the ball wasn't confident enough to attempt the pass ... he isn't far away from being top class this kid.

lyonhibs
31-12-2017, 09:03 AM
If we're looking at January and who we really NEED to sign ASAP then it's a nippy goal poaching twat we need. Needs to do maybe a bit of defending from the front but that'd be a bonus.

Just someone who lives for 2 yard tap ins and has no interest in playing a surrogate winger or central midfielder.

Keith_M
31-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I give you J.Cummings

I believe he's available.

Mr_F
31-12-2017, 12:51 PM
I believe he's available.

Back on loan next week

keep the faith
31-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Back on loan next week

That doesn't make sense. Any new manager at forest would want to take a look at him first before making any decision on loaning him out.

SanFranHibs
31-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Although the numbers indicate our defence is average for the league it still concerns me that we do not have some one who takes control at the back. The number of free headers we allow, even in our victories, is worrying. Not that our bench mark should be Hearts but it is ironic that given our pre-season ridicule of their Home Guard defence their goals allowed is bettered only by Celtic. Of course, I appreciate that is also a product of the tactics adopted by CL. Strange, Cathro wanted to use software technology and CL wants to play in the Clouds. I certainly would not want Hibs to play that way but it just seems that sometimes the good work done by our midfield/strikers in games like Motherwell at ER, Celtic at Parkhead and several others, is squandered by blunders/dreadful lapses in concentration and not by brilliantly constructed goals by the opposition. I don't think many on here ever feel confident we can keep a clean sheet.

Anyhow, just my tuppence. In highlights it is easier to see problems at the back as some are glaring, but for the midfield/striker personnel I will defer to the people who see them every week and get better views of what they feel works.

The Rangers we defeated at Ibrox and let them pinch a win at ER. I do feel we are very close to being right up there with Aberdeen. Just need a bit more guile in the final third.

Disclaimer: This has been posted on New Years Eve and I reserve the right to retract or amend as sobering up deems appropriate.

Happy New Year and Happy Transfer Window Hibbies

:flag::flag: