PDA

View Full Version : Football Jargon

Alfiembra
29-12-2017, 01:29 PM
I’m hoping this thread can become educational to those on here, like me, are fervent fans but if they are being honest sometimes tactics and formations and terminology can be confusing to say the least and at worst quite baffling.

There are obviously a lot of members on here that are probably heavily involved in coaching or just have good general footballing knowledge. So can you share some of your wisdom.

I’ll kick things off, stuff I’ve never properly understood are.

Midfield diamond
Playing in the hole or pocket
Second ball

Feel free to add an explanation or add to the list of confusing jargon.

BoltonHibee
29-12-2017, 01:41 PM
A false number 9

A false number 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
29-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Second ball. Hearts tactics are based on this. Hoof the ball forward with the aim being to get it back after a defender heads it clear. So it is feeding off the defenders touch/clearance rather than playing a pass straight to one of you team. So not the ball originally played but the second ball off the defender.

Hibs played into the channels on Wednesday. We played in between the defenders and tried to win the race to the ball. Still a long ball but slightly different.

In the hole is the space between the defenders and midfielders. It makes it hard for defenders as they want o keep a line and not come and mark. Likewise midfielders don't want to drop back to pick you up. Peter Beardsley was an expert playing off the number 9 and trying to find holes of space to play in.

A diamond is as it sounds. Instead of the old 442 where you had a left and right midfielder with two in the middle you now play a bit narrower with two in the centre and one ahead and one behind in a diamond shape. Stubbs used this system as we struggled for good wide players.

hibbyfraelibby
29-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Hearts Attacker... This term is used to desribe the rare situation when the Hertz get a player, normally a lumbering retreating defender caught up field when a hoofball from their keeper accidentally falls 15 yards ahead of him.

Malthibby
29-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Midfield Diamond = SJM

Playing in the hole in your pocket may relate to the second ball but this is a family site.

GG

GreenOnions
29-12-2017, 03:44 PM
We would've won had there been no goalposts (aka "the conjecture of the deep thinker")

jacomo
29-12-2017, 03:58 PM
A false number 9

A false number 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A False 9 is nominally the centre forward but actually plays more like a 10 - I.e. Drifting around trying to find space and make things happen.

'False no. 10' is utter nonsense.

jacomo
29-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Second ball. Hearts tactics are based on this. Hoof the ball forward with the aim being to get it back after a defender heads it clear. So it is feeding off the defenders touch/clearance rather than playing a pass straight to one of you team. So not the ball originally played but the second ball off the defender.

Hibs played into the channels on Wednesday. We played in between the defenders and tried to win the race to the ball. Still a long ball but slightly different.

In the hole is the space between the defenders and midfielders. It makes it hard for defenders as they want o keep a line and not come and mark. Likewise midfielders don't want to drop back to pick you up. Peter Beardsley was an expert playing off the number 9 and trying to find holes of space to play in.

A diamond is as it sounds. Instead of the old 442 where you had a left and right midfielder with two in the middle you now play a bit narrower with two in the centre and one ahead and one behind in a diamond shape. Stubbs used this system as we struggled for good wide players.

2nd ball is not necessarily off an opposing player. In fact that is no tactic at all.

jacomo
29-12-2017, 04:05 PM
'Between the lines' is currently in vogue it seems.

It's all about finding space with the ball or to receive the ball.

IlDiavola
29-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Marauding full back.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Running the channels.

IlDiavola
29-12-2017, 05:44 PM
:rolleyes: A rock at the back :confused:

nonshinyfinish
29-12-2017, 05:59 PM
One that I've heard but never understood is 'third man run'.

I could have a guess at what it means, but I'd like to have a definition or some examples.

lyonhibs
29-12-2017, 06:07 PM

I could have a guess at what it means, but I'd like to have a definition or some examples.

One of Fletcher's goals in the League Cup final is a classic example, his first I guess.

Player A passes to player B and starts a forward run. In the meantime player B passes it on to player C who then rapidly plays it back into player A's run.

All of this should be 1 touch in order to be considered "Hibs Class"

Player A has made the proverbial "3rd man run". Linked to, but not to be confused with, a McGinlay-esque "going beyond the strikers" run.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

jacomo
29-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Sounds like a term from the time when wireless meant radio rather than cable-free internet connection!

Onceinawhile
29-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Fletcher's first goal in the cis cup final. The pass is between (I think) boozy and benji, but Fletcher makes a third man run into space for the final ball.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Joseph Cotton passing to Orson Welles.

Mibbes Aye
29-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Joseph Cotton passing to Orson Welles.

:greengrin

Billy Whizz
29-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Running into space
Attacking the ball
Man on

just a few football type jargons

Iggy Pope
29-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Running into space
Attacking the ball
Man on

just a few football type jargons

There's nothing that's jargon about man on. Vital term of communication amongst footballers and coaches for decades.

--------
29-12-2017, 07:48 PM
A False 9 is nominally the centre forward but actually plays more like a 10 - I.e. Drifting around trying to find space and make things happen.

'False no. 10' is utter nonsense.

:agree:

False #9 originated with the Austrian team of the 1930's. Their centre-forward, Matthias Sindelar, dropped deep behind the two strikers and acted as link between them and the defensive midfielders. The tactic really became noticed when the Hungarian team of the 1950's adopted it. Hidegkuti (the #9) dropped back into a five-man midfield, behind Puskas and Kocsis. Most teams played with a dominant central defender whose main job was to mark the opposing #9; full-backs marked wingers and half-backs marked the opposing inside-forwards. With Hidegkuti dropping back into midfield and Puskas and Kocsis playing as paired strikers, the opposing defence was badly disrupted - nobody was sure who he was supposed to be marking.

The classic example of this tactic at work was the England-Hungary match of 1953 (part of the ongoing coronation celebrations) when Hungary beat England 6-3 (a score which could have been doubled if the Hungarians hadn't eased up after they got to 4-1 early in the second half). The FA (and the English football press) assumed that this result was an aberration; they expected to 'set things right' in Budapest in the return match 6 months later. They lost that one 7-1.

You could say that Bobby Charlton played as a false 9 for England and Manchester United; Totti was a very successful false 9 for Italy; and the best false 9 playing today is Lionel Messi.

And as you say, there's really no such thing as a 'false 10'.

Pete
29-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Expected goals.

I’m sorry...but what?

Iggy Pope
29-12-2017, 07:55 PM
:agree:

False #9 originated with the Austrian team of the 1930's. Their centre-forward, Matthias Sindelar, dropped deep behind the two strikers and acted as link between them and the defensive midfielders. The tactic really became noticed when the Hungarian team of the 1950's adopted it. Hidegkuti (the #9) dropped back into a five-man midfield, behind Puskas and Kocsis. Most teams played with a dominant central defender whose main job was to mark the opposing #9; full-backs marked wingers and half-backs marked the opposing inside-forwards. With Hidegkuti dropping back into midfield and Puskas and Kocsis playing as paired strikers, the opposing defence was badly disrupted - nobody was sure who he was supposed to be marking.

The classic example of this tactic at work was the England-Hungary match of 1953 (part of the ongoing coronation celebrations) when Hungary beat England 6-3 (a score which could have been doubled if the Hungarians hadn't eased up after they got to 4-1 early in the second half). The FA (and the English football press) assumed that this result was an aberration; they expected to 'set things right' in Budapest in the return match 6 months later. They lost that one 7-1.

You could say that Bobby Charlton played as a false 9 for England and Manchester United; Totti was a very successful false 9 for Italy; and the best false 9 playing today is Lionel Messi.

And as you say, there's really no such thing as a 'false 10'.

Willie Bauld?

Billy Whizz
29-12-2017, 07:56 PM
There's nothing that's jargon about man on. Vital term of communication amongst footballers and coaches for decades.

Cheer up you😄, it’s a football saying/jargon is it not

Do you hear it said out of football?

Any from you IP

Iggy Pope
29-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Cheer up you😄, it’s a football saying/jargon is it not

Do you hear it said out of football?

Any from you IP

No likely to hear it out of football any more than "Baws oot!"

I'd love to see a Hearts **** 'bust a gut' one day though.

Famous Fiver
29-12-2017, 08:08 PM
'Oot the Park for medals'.

A tactic I definitely subscribed to after ninety two and a half minutes on 21.05.2016.

Shouted it non stop for a minute and a half! (In between crying, cuddling my laddies and grandson).

No further explanation of this one needed.

Mibbes Aye
29-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Expected goals.

I’m sorry...but what?

It's a little bit more sophisticated and better than it sounds :greengrin

Basically, it's a calculation based on a number of factors, that assesses to what degree a player should have converted a chance into a goal.

What it tells you is who makes the most out of their chances, whether good or slim - no surprise that Harry Kane leads the way - and also tells you who are squandering their chances and to what degree.

hibsbollah
29-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Expected goals.

I’m sorry...but what?

It's Baws. For example, last time I looked, Burnley are bottom of the eg league, but that just means they have an extremely high proportion of chances resulting in goals... Which isn't a bad thing surely? Southampton do very well, because they piss about with possession and miss a load of chances, relatively speaking. Or maybe I just never understood it:greengrin

I think it won't be a thing in a couple of seasons.

bigwheel
29-12-2017, 08:30 PM
It's Baws. For example, last time I looked, Burnley are bottom of the eg league, but that just means they have an extremely high proportion of chances resulting in goals... Which isn't a bad thing surely? Southampton do very well, because they piss about with possession and miss a load of chances, relatively speaking.

I think it won't be a thing in a couple of seasons.

Well. It means they are not creating high quality chances e.g. Chances you are expected to score...if their actual goals are higher than expected goals that is good for now...but may suggest they will have challenges going forward if they don't up the volume of quality chances in their matches...it is the relationship between expected goals and actual goals that is key...but a team not creating "expected goals" may suggest problems ahead...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon Dieu4
29-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Cultured left foot, you never hear of a player with a cultured right foot

hibsbollah
29-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Well. It means they are not creating high quality chances e.g. Chances you are expected to score...if their actual goals are higher than expected goals that is good for now...but may suggest they will have challenges going forward if they don't up the volume of quality chances in their matches...it is the relationship between expected goals and actual goals that is key...but a team not creating "expected goals" may suggest problems ahead...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That makes sense, but it also suggests that they just have players that can hit the target from unpromising positions, which is a good thing. Time will tell, one for the purist mathematicians perhaps.

bigwheel
29-12-2017, 08:37 PM
That makes sense, but it also suggests that they just have players that can hit the target from unpromising positions, which is a good thing. Time will tell, one for the purist mathematicians perhaps.

Yep. They are obviously notching more challenging chances ...look a hard team to
Play against don’t they ....

I’m guessing we are high on expected goals but lower on actuals!

Iggy Pope
29-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Just heard that Preston are on the front foot. Think they might collectively need both feet, one in front of the other and repeatedly and collectively, if they are going to score or stop Cardiff from scoring. The goalie might need both hands too.

WoreTheGreen
29-12-2017, 09:54 PM
'Oot the Park for medals'.

A tactic I definitely subscribed to after ninety two and a half minutes on 21.05.2016.

Shouted it non stop for a minute and a half! (In between crying, cuddling my laddies and grandson).

No further explanation of this one needed.

Was medals mckay the coach

ajf
30-12-2017, 05:00 AM
"a fair off the baw challenge " usually exclaimed by the centre half when getting booked for cementing the centre forward:agree:

Brizo
30-12-2017, 06:47 AM
The phrase "full press"is currently getting heavy use by every pundit from sky to stv.

Can't be bothered to Google it but seem to recall it's maybe originally a basketball term ? I love it how pundits find a new phrase and then can't leave it alone,like a kid with a Christmas toy.

Full press is the new "squeezing" which was also a favourite.

Mcpakeisgod
30-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Put it in the mixer

SChibs
30-12-2017, 10:38 AM
My pet hate is when the goalie gets his fingers to it and puts it past the post. The commentator then claims he almost keeps it out. No, he kept it out, if he almost kept it out it would have been a goal.

hibsbollah
30-12-2017, 10:42 AM
'The transition'... This apparently means the ability to spring between attacking to defence and defence into attack. It's what Wenger and Guardiola apparently practice the most. Goes hand in glove with the 'full press'.

My_Wife_Camille
30-12-2017, 11:23 AM
People getting mixed up between jargon and cliches it seems.

Football truly is the sport of the uneducated working class. You wouldn’t get this on a Rugby or cricket forum

Speedy
30-12-2017, 11:23 AM
My pet hate is when the goalie gets his fingers to it and puts it past the post. The commentator then claims he almost keeps it out. No, he kept it out, if he almost kept it out it would have been a goal.

"Just about" kept it out.

Speedy
30-12-2017, 11:24 AM
People getting mixed up between jargon and cliches it seems.

Football truly is the sport of the uneducated working class. You wouldn’t get this on a Rugby or cricket forum

I was thinking the same :greengrin