PDA

View Full Version : Set pieces

Tyler Durden
28-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Something needs to be done about the quality of our set pieces. They've been poor all season and it's gotten worse in the past month IMO.

I've never bought into the "why do we always give the ball away at throw ins?" Or "why do we never score from corners"? brigade.

But our free kicks and corners from McGinn and Stokes are abysmal. It's really costing us. We have the better of the play in most games, rack up the corners and free kicks but invariably create nothing. It's been the case since Cummings left. But the Celtic game and last night were examples of wasting good opportunities and surely we can't persist with same approach for long.

Maybe we need to get Swanson in the team to help with this but I can't believe that Dylan or Barker or even Hanlon can't do better than we're seeing at the moment.

alihibs1
28-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Get Alan Combe on them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Only a new signing will fix it. Nobody in the current squad can deliver the quality we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Agreed, set pieces are a real weakness. You'd imagine SJM would take a decent one but unfotunatly this season he's been poor on them, as has Stokes.

Zazu62
28-12-2017, 11:03 PM
We would probably be better off just kicking it out for a throw-in to the opposition and try and press from that

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Our corners are a waste of time.

erin go bragh
28-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Only a new signing will fix it. Nobody in the current squad can deliver the quality we need.

Danny Swanson :dunno:

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Get Alan Combe on them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was either Westwater or Thomson who used to drop free-kicks right on top of the keeper during warm-ups. Can't be too hard?

hibby6270
28-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Think we all know someone who has a history of “delivering”?

Never mind Italy Liam. Just “come home” and sort out this problem we have!!

HibernianJK
29-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Swanson is probably our best but I don’t think you just play him because of that. It’s a bonus of someone playing. McGinn can put in a good cross but inconsistent. Henderson and Keatings missed in this department.

The Leith Dutch
29-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Agreed, set pieces are a real weakness. You'd imagine SJM would take a decent one but unfotunatly this season he's been poor on them, as has Stokes.

I actually wouldn't - much as I like McGinn I think shooting and deadball work are big weaknesses in his game relative to his other skills. He's one of the guys that should be staying back after training to work on that.

Always admired Beckham for that - not the most naturally gifted player but the work he put in on free kicks and crossing led to a player who could land it on a 5p piece. Even if we can't get someone to that level we should at least be looking for something above what we're getting which, as the OP points out, is piss poor.

danhibees1875
29-12-2017, 09:29 AM
We would probably be better off just kicking it out for a throw-in to the opposition and try and press from that

Like our kick offs then. :greengrin

hhibs
29-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Something needs to be done about the quality of our set pieces. They've been poor all season and it's gotten worse in the past month IMO.

I've never bought into the "why do we always give the ball away at throw ins?" Or "why do we never score from corners"? brigade.

But our free kicks and corners from McGinn and Stokes are abysmal. It's really costing us. We have the better of the play in most games, rack up the corners and free kicks but invariably create nothing. It's been the case since Cummings left. But the Celtic game and last night were examples of wasting good opportunities and surely we can't persist with same approach for long.

Maybe we need to get Swanson in the team to help with this but I can't believe that Dylan or Barker or even Hanlon can't do better than we're seeing at the moment.

There non so blind who cannot see.

maturehibby
29-12-2017, 12:32 PM
We are dreadful at free kicks too by depriving our self of several yards that we could move the ball to prior to taking the kicks all other teams seem to be guilty of stealing yards but we appear to be gifting them some yards

wookie70
29-12-2017, 02:02 PM
If all we have from set pieces is a floated deliver then work with that. Get the players attacking the ball and runners off them to take advantage of headers we win. Get blockers in to stop defenders challenging. Get some often practiced short corners and free kicks. Do something though as we look clueless at set pieces.

To be honest I have more concerns about our defending of set pieces.