PDA

View Full Version : Well 2017 is almost over, what's your thoughts on where Hibs are going

theonlywayisup
28-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Obviously winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 makes that year extra special. But what has 2017 been like for you (Hibs related only).

I really do believe we're going from strength to strength.

We've had a few poor results, especially at home. The Hamilton and St Johnstone games were poor results and showed up some of our weaknesses. The games against Aberdeen shows that we've a bit to go before we reach their sustained level. The games against Celtic show that we're more than capable of competing against the best. The games against The Rangers show how poor they are and we should have beaten them in both games.

So, in my view, we are still on that upward trajectory. The feel good factor is still there. The crowds have been fantastic and are generally very supportive of the team. We need to strengthen in some key areas - no need to mention where as there's been many threads on where we need this.

In you view are Hibs still on an upward trajectory, have plateaued or are starting to go backwards.

This is in comparison with 2016 as a whole, not just comparing it against the 21st May 2016.

Pagan Hibernia
28-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Continuing to move forward in all areas of the club.

the higher attendances will translate into healthier accounts next year, our academy will continue to produce exciting prospects even if we do lose the likes of McGinn, and we should be able to cement our position as a top 4 side.

If if there was one improvement I’d like to see it would be HSL stepping forward and becoming everything it should be but that subject has been done to death on here and I suppose it’s partly because of the good shape the club is in that is preventing that.

bingo70
28-12-2017, 01:51 PM
IMO the pleasing aspect about where we are now and where we are going is that it's not about one person. In the past we'd be too reliant on a manager or a few players who would inevitably be sold where as now if Lennon was to leave tomorrow there'd still be a great structure in place.

Historically (well in my lifetime) i think we'd have one or two good seasons then pay for them with years of dross where as now i get the feeling we could be set for a period of sustained 'success'.

Hope so anyway.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Looking good for a top four finish in our first season back in the SPFL
Crowds are up substantially
Outstanding away form in 2017
Squad is getting player
Lennon making progress as the months pass
Much better in many off field areas
Hearts can't beat us

Pleasing

Jim44
28-12-2017, 01:58 PM
I said ‘plateaued’ but I mean it for this season. I’ve always thought that a period of consolidation in the Scottish Premiership would be acceptable. It looks like that’s happening so I won’t be heartbroken if we drift around where we are. With good business in the transfer window, next season could see us make a more sustained move for top three.

Lago
28-12-2017, 02:05 PM
First season back after 3 in the Championship think Hibs are meeting expectations.

Ronniekirk
28-12-2017, 02:07 PM
The positive stuff above i agree with Our continued lack of goals from Midfield and not having a Striking Partnership that works well together with both scoring is probably fantasy but still think we need to improve improve in that area and last night showed we had no one that could put in the right ball to allow Boyle to Run onto and players surely can be coached to stay onside
Not meant to be negative more these are areas we need to improve on to look to finish higher than fourth Realistically the best we could of hoped for was third given The Rangers form but lack of consistency has hampered that objective
Will be renewing my Season Ticket as soon as i can for next Season to show my continued Support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 02:09 PM
On the 14th January we played away at Dumbarton in front of 1500 people.

We have ended the year consolidating 4th place in the Premiership, one defeat away from home in nine months and going 9 unbeaten against our biggest rivals.

I would say we have had a pretty good 2017.

Pagan Hibernia
28-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Someone thinks we’re going backwards...

if it’s not a jambo engaging in a spot of wishful thinking, could this individual explain why he thinks that? Not having a go, everyone’s entitled to an opinion, just interested

theonlywayisup
28-12-2017, 03:33 PM

if it’s not a jambo engaging in a spot of wishful thinking, could this individual explain why he thinks that? Not having a go, everyone’s entitled to an opinion, just interested

If not a Yam, maybe a "half pint empty" type person.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Certain to be a Jambo, and, to be fair, I'd do the same in their position, even if Hearts had just won the Champions League.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Think we are on the way up, but still got a bit to go to get into the top 2/3
Need quality signings in, if we lose John

Keith_M
28-12-2017, 03:52 PM
I accidentally ticked the wrong box.

:embarrass

The last option should be zero.

HiBremian
28-12-2017, 04:56 PM

You could do a job as an SPFL linesman, Keeks :greengrin

Col2
28-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Made Scottish Cup semi

Made league cup semi

Won the championship

Record season ticket sales

4th in league on return to top league

Strong squad, pace, width, strength.

Average home crowd c 18k. Sell out versus hinds, Celtic and yams.

Exceeding expectations would be my summary. Still think a year, maybe two behind sheep but with good additions in Jan window, 4th should be more than achievable and 3rd a real possibility.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Solid start to life back in the top tier.

Room for improvement of course but we’re in a position to do that and have a solid platform to build from. The whole club is definitely still on an upward trajectory.

wookie70
28-12-2017, 05:46 PM
It has been a good year. Good position in the league, good cup runs and maintain our run against Hearts. My only concern is recruitment this year and last hasn't been great and with the huge gates we are getting we need to take full advantage. The best players we have are all still from the Stubbs era but Lennon should be congratulated for getting some existing players to resign.
If SJM leaves this window then recruitment is going to be vital. We will have money to spend and if we are spending on the basis of 18K gates then we need to get it right. I suspect we will correctly be more prudent but we won't get 18K if we don't stay in the top six and that will depend on our signings, maybe not so much this season but definitely next.

The other huge positive is the emergence of three very good development players. They all look like they have a chance of making it.

Pagan Hibernia
28-12-2017, 06:10 PM
It has been a good year. Good position in the league, good cup runs and maintain our run against Hearts. My only concern is recruitment this year and last hasn't been great and with the huge gates we are getting we need to take full advantage. The best players we have are all still from the Stubbs era but Lennon should be congratulated for getting some existing players to resign.
If SJM leaves this window then recruitment is going to be vital. We will have money to spend and if we are spending on the basis of 18K gates then we need to get it right. I suspect we will correctly be more prudent but we won't get 18K if we don't stay in the top six and that will depend on our signings, maybe not so much this season but definitely next.

The other huge positive is the emergence of three very good development players. They all look like they have a chance of making it.

yes, at the risk of stating the obvious the academy is key to the future, producing our own players rather than having to buy all the time (however shrewdly) is the way we can consolidate on and off the pitch.

SirDavidsNapper
28-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Very encouraging

Eyrie
28-12-2017, 06:44 PM
I voted "plateaued", simply because it's difficult to see us doing substantially better than we are this season.

But that plateau means being a deserved top four club which is competing for second and regularly making cup semi finals so it's a good plateau to have reached.

Celtc's financial advantage means that I don't see us mounting a challenge for the league title. Add in competition from Aberdeen and Sevco and it's difficult to see us winning cups more than once or twice a decade.

jakedance
28-12-2017, 06:51 PM
I’d say we’re early on the up but this season has been a wee bit of a disappointment. I went into the season thinking it was potentially the best squad I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve been going to matches, but I think we’ve underperformed and we look a bit behind Rangers and Aberdeen. I’m hoping we can improve in the second half of the season and I’ve got a lot of faith in Lennon and everyone behind the scenes.

If Lennon is up for the long term challenge at Hibs I think the next 5-10 years could be very successful.

Swedish hibee
28-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Upfront & goalie are the 2 areas I'm a bit meh about. Hope Lennon can find a few hidden diamonds that Stubbs before him did for us. That would be nice!

B.H.F.C
28-12-2017, 07:50 PM
There or thereabouts in terms of where we should be this season. Fourth is well achievable and that is where I now expect us to finish.

Aim for 2018 needs to be to improve the home record.

stoneyburn hibs
28-12-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm ok with how we are doing this season.
I know things don't always go your way but our play has merited more points, most of the time for us not killing off teams. There was/is an obvious bounce on attendances from May 2016. If we have a decent season this term, then I'm sure the crowds will be great again next season. We're definitely on the up.

jacomo
28-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I’d say we’re early on the up but this season has been a wee bit of a disappointment. I went into the season thinking it was potentially the best squad I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve been going to matches, but I think we’ve underperformed and we look a bit behind Rangers and Aberdeen. I’m hoping we can improve in the second half of the season and I’ve got a lot of faith in Lennon and everyone behind the scenes.

If Lennon is up for the long term challenge at Hibs I think the next 5-10 years could be very successful.

Probably true, but losing all our recognised strikers from last season did little for our consistency.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2017, 06:51 AM

:faf:

Phil MaGlass
29-12-2017, 09:42 AM
I was hoping for and still think 3rd is achievable, we have a little bit to catch up on the Dons but Huns are catchable, we have underperformed IMO, but, we are on the up. Hopefully we find a like for like replacement for SJM and invest the money wisely. We are on the up.

matty_f
29-12-2017, 10:17 AM
IMO the pleasing aspect about where we are now and where we are going is that it's not about one person. In the past we'd be too reliant on a manager or a few players who would inevitably be sold where as now if Lennon was to leave tomorrow there'd still be a great structure in place.

Historically (well in my lifetime) i think we'd have one or two good seasons then pay for them with years of dross where as now i get the feeling we could be set for a period of sustained 'success'.

Hope so anyway.

Good post - that sums up where my thoughts are with it as well.

basehibby
29-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Couldn't vote from my phone but we are on the up! We have a strong and talented squad even if there's room for improvement in certain areas. Lennon has shown fantastic attitude and desire which I think has been reflected in what was already a buoyant and spirited squad. I think Lennon has the nous to make further improvements and should have the means to do so given the brilliant backing being shown by the support. I hope to see a strong finish to the season with a genuine challenge for 2nd place which I don't think is beyond us - even if Aberdeen are in poll position.

jacomo
29-12-2017, 03:13 PM
I am happy with where we are. Decent cup run and 4th place as it stands. I'll admit that this division has been a bigger step up than expected.

My hope is that we kick on in the 2nd half of the season. With just a little bit more quality we could have 10 more points already. There's a lot left to play for this season.

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2017, 06:35 PM
We are on the up for sure, but we have to be careful not to get bogged down. There is still plenty of room for improvement, we have had some disappointing home results compensated for by an impressive away record, that's definitely an area where we can improve.

If we can finish in the top 4 it will definitely have been a decent season for us, but the question which is still going to be hard to answer at this stage is 'will we be able to sustain our current level of crowds next season'? ....... The novelty of being back in the top league and the continuing feelgood factor from the 2016 cup final all counted in our favour this season.

I'm not so sure that next season will see us maintain the crowds we have been getting, but if we can keep our ST numbers at 12,000 that will still be pretty good going .... what would help of course would be getting to the Scottish cup final and maybe a couple of exciting signings in the summer window, if that were to happen then perhaps my caution would be misplaced.

As things stand though we are in a far far better place than we were 3 years ago that's for sure :aok:

jacomo
29-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Just seen the poll options... jeez.

In what possible sense have we 'plateaued' or gone backwards this year? We began 2017 in a scrap with Dundee Utd at the top of the Championship FFS.

CMurdoch
29-12-2017, 09:12 PM
We all had our say at the start of this season.
To my eyes we had the 4th best squad in the league and that's how I called it.
We are there and I don't see it changing.
There have been strange unpredictable results this season. We are dominating most games but as per the last few seasons unable to turn it into goals.

We have a great squad and support.
Great chief exec and manager.
Great ground and training facility.

Only icebergs I can see are the usual star player and staff retention issues:

Certain we all accept that McGinn will be going in the next 6 months. We need to get good money and a sell on clause.
Very concerned that McGeogh will choose to leave at the end of his contract. This would be a big blow.
Efe might also be away at the end of the season. Love the guy and hope he stays. Has another 18 months on his contract but suspect there is an agreement in place for him to leave if a good opportunity arises for him.

Next biggest risk is losing the Chief Executive who has done great work. A very politically astute lady whose stock is high.

Outside risk would be losing the manager. Hopefully his prickly exterior will cause possible suitors to give him a miss.

Success on the park in the future is down to making good recruitment choices. Fortunately we can concentrate on this given most things are in place off the pitch.

The future continues to be bright.
:flag:

monktonharp
29-12-2017, 11:41 PM
On the 14th January we played away at Dumbarton in front of 1500 people.

We have ended the year consolidating 4th place in the Premiership, one defeat away from home in nine months and going 9 unbeaten against our biggest rivals.

I would say we have had a pretty good 2017.I would agree, and I also think we shall be at Hampden, possibly twice in the Scottish cup in 2018. we may also get lady luck on our side.:wink:

Tornadoes70
30-12-2017, 12:13 AM
We all had our say at the start of this season.
To my eyes we had the 4th best squad in the league and that's how I called it.
We are there and I don't see it changing.
There have been strange unpredictable results this season. We are dominating most games but as per the last few seasons unable to turn it into goals.

We have a great squad and support.
Great chief exec and manager.
Great ground and training facility.

Only icebergs I can see are the usual star player and staff retention issues:

Certain we all accept that McGinn will be going in the next 6 months. We need to get good money and a sell on clause.
Very concerned that McGeogh will choose to leave at the end of his contract. This would be a big blow.
Efe might also be away at the end of the season. Love the guy and hope he stays. Has another 18 months on his contract but suspect there is an agreement in place for him to leave if a good opportunity arises for him.

Next biggest risk is losing the Chief Executive who has done great work. A very politically astute lady whose stock is high.

Outside risk would be losing the manager. Hopefully his prickly exterior will cause possible suitors to give him a miss.

Success on the park in the future is down to making good recruitment choices. Fortunately we can concentrate on this given most things are in place off the pitch.

The future continues to be bright.
:flag:

Great post.

The main issues are as you rightly highlight retention of key players and staff while ensuring we identify worthwhile transfer targets.

Everything else is on the up with attendances a huge plus.

We're in a good place and hopefully Squirrel is just the first to sign additional contracts.

Glory Glory

heretoday
30-12-2017, 01:39 AM
We'll have a job replacing McGinn, if he goes.

McGeoch is no substitute and Slivka is untested. We need a Kris Commons type in the midfield.

theonlywayisup
30-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Just seen the poll options... jeez.

In what possible sense have we 'plateaued' or gone backwards this year? We began 2017 in a scrap with Dundee Utd at the top of the Championship FFS.

Chill - some people may think we've not improved

jacomo
30-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Chill - some people may think we've not improved

Sure... presumably based on some criteria other than results?

Keith_M
30-12-2017, 08:56 AM
You could do a job as an SPFL linesman, Keeks :greengrin

Application now in the post.

:greengrin

proud_and_green
30-12-2017, 09:47 AM
I think the key thing is that we now seem to have the right structure in place at the club which will allow a continued improvement. Statisticians will say that trends are important rather than individual statistics and I am sure there will be the odd stagger and faulter over the next few years but in general I think we will continue to strengthen and the trend will continue to be positive - but some of that improvement will not always be visible, for example it will include consolidation of structures, perhaps expanding the community element etc all of which will contribute to the overall security of the club.

So yes we will continue onwards and upwards!

RIP
30-12-2017, 10:24 AM
I feel all areas have improved apart from our attacking formations. And given Neil's previous involvement with Celtic that is my one disappointment.

We have the personnel to attack the penalty box but persist with aimless wing and full back crosses to nobody. If we do win a free kick or corner we may as well hand it straight to their goalie.

How hard can it be to demonstrate improvement in these areas? Yet every game is like groundhog day.

snedzuk
30-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Application now in the post.

:greengrin

If your eyesight is anything like Wednesdays linesman youve probably sent your application to the PFLP and not the SPFL!

green day
30-12-2017, 04:51 PM
So, lets be honest - today was a bit disappointing, we would have loved 3 points, and on balance of play probably deserved it.

However, at Killie, they ouplayed us and we came away with a 3-0 victory - also, we had a tough midweek match on a tattie field.

As to the season so far?

I thought it worth comparing us with comparable point in last years Premiership.

2016/2017 after 22 matches -

Hearts were in 4th spot, had 31 points and a GD of +8

They also had St Johnstone breathing down their collar on same points, but with a slightly poorer GD.

Jambos lost Neilson and ultimately ended up 5th.

2017/2018 after 22 matches -

We are in 4th spot, have 35 points, and a GD of +4 and a 5 point cushion on the Gorgie Galacticos.

Without playing the happy clapper card (our home form is crap) we are actually doing not too bad in what is clearly a better league than where we were last season.

No question we need to improve, but as I was feeling a bit pissed off, I think this puts things in perspective.

where'stheslope
31-12-2017, 07:20 PM
We are on the up, yesterday was a small blip in losing 2 home points, but Killies form has been on the up also, so not a bad result in my book!

Our crowds have been amazing all season long, so there must be money in the transfer coffers?

Sitting in 4th place at the break, we are in my book ahead of schedule and with a good transfer window, we could go higher!

Back to Tynie 1st game after the shut-down is not ideal, as you never know how sharp everyone is going to be?

Get through that and we could be in for yet another good Cup run!!!!!!

Northernhibee
31-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I put plateaued. Our signings largely haven't improved the team, we still struggle to convert chances and still concede sloppy goals. 4th is still good but I fear we've benefited in St Johnstone's loss of form this season.

No better or no worse than last season in other words.

mjhibby
01-01-2018, 03:09 AM
I think we are shy of a few points our performances merited but have to be pleased with fourth place. Teams are aware how strong we are and see a point as a bonus against us. Confident that with the team rested and hopefully a couple of new players in we will kick on.