PDA

View Full Version : Diet huns

Liam89
28-12-2017, 11:25 AM
It must be embarrassing to be a hearts supporter at the moment. When their stadium isn’t replicating a library, their fans are imitating their big brothers. Rather than coming up with their own songs, they’ll sing about killing catholics and lafferty playing the flute. Truly playing up to the tag of diet huns which must make their reasonable fans cringe.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Since we won the Scottish Cup their songs have been destroyed, but it's sad some of them have reverted back to bigotry; it's really poor patter and not all Hearts fans will be happy with it.

SirDavidsNapper
28-12-2017, 11:48 AM
The love in between Hearts and their big brothers is embarrassing

Hermit Crab
28-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Our own song involving stokes, ma, da and the RA got an airing last night too.

Lancs Harp
28-12-2017, 12:10 PM

"our own song" well it isnt my song. How many people are we talking about here? Certainly nothing audible on tv. What makes it our song? Two people chanting? 12 people chanting? 50 People chanting? The only people happy with that sort of stuff will be our friends in Glasgow, they'd love to see Hearts and Hibs revert to a perverse diet imitation of their own brand of support.

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Agree, it’s a crap song and there were a couple of guys changing the words to the djoum song to suit their own racist viewpoint. These morons only seem to appear at away derbies. Thankfully it was just a handful and was outside the ground.
We have plenty of good songs without the need for any sectarian or racist crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Agree, it’s a crap song and there were a couple of guys changing the words to the djoum song to suit their own racist viewpoint. These morons only seem to appear at away derbies. Thankfully it was just a handful and was outside the ground.
We have plenty of good songs without the need for any sectarian or racist crap.

Correct plus I mentioned last night on another thread that there was a particularly unpleasant song being sung in the Roseburn yesterday before the game about Rudi Skacel being murdered by the IRA.

I certainly did not hear this song in the stadium but we really need to keep on top of things like that and focus on policing our own support instead of worrying about Hearts and their fans.

I should add that I do believe that this problem within our own support is a tiny minority but we cannot allow these people to attract other younger, impressionable fans who might find these songs funny and before we know it we have more and more people singing stuff like this. We need to be shaming these people and letting them know that this type of crap is not welcome at Hibs games.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Correct plus I mentioned last night on another thread that there was a particularly unpleasant song being sung in the Roseburn yesterday before the game about Rudi Skacel being murdered by the IRA.

I certainly did not hear this song in the stadium but we really need to keep on top of things like that and focus on policing our own support instead of worrying about Hearts and their fans.

I should add that I do believe that this problem within our own support is a tiny minority but we cannot allow these people to attract other younger, impressionable fans who might find these songs funny and before we know it we have more and more people singing stuff like this. We need to be shaming these people and letting them know that this type of crap is not welcome at Hibs games.

**** me, thank God I don't know that one. What an embarrassment.

28-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately both hibs and hearts have a small minority of people in their supports who like to get involved in the nonsense the OF are into. Leave that pish to the Glasgow mobs, it's embarrassing. Not even any need in it anyway, we have a pretty good songbook without all that, stick to the football songs. Pretty sure the players will get a bigger lift hearing proper hibs songs and songs about them rather than some IRA bull****. Fortunately the vast majority in the support don't get involved.

Theres tweets from hearts fans on twitter saying that sectarian songs have recently become a bit more common at tynecastle and they are embarrassed about it. Clearly getting desperate to rebuild the songbook.

Hermit Crab
28-12-2017, 01:09 PM
"our own song" well it isnt my song. How many people are we talking about here? Certainly nothing audible on tv. What makes it our song? Two people chanting? 12 people chanting? 50 People chanting? The only people happy with that sort of stuff will be our friends in Glasgow, they'd love to see Hearts and Hibs revert to a perverse diet imitation of their own brand of support.

Was definitely a thread about it after the Partick game. It was sung at Aberdeen away as well, ***** song that should never be sung, someone shouted at whittaker at Aberdeen calling him an orange ******* and wishing death to GMS saying he should have drowned in the river Kelvin....:rolleyes: It is a minority though. Always seem to be at big away games this stuff comes out.

wookie70
28-12-2017, 01:11 PM
I heard the RA song on the way to the ground. A fine upstanding young man with a half bottle of Buckie belting it out before declaring he needed a pish. We can't let this crap creep back in. I thought the majority of fans had made these wee tubes stop with the refugee and paedo crap.

TelaStella
28-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Just before kickoff last night the billy boys/Gorgie Boys went out from the main stand right beside where I was standing. Was shocked to see what appeared to be a mother with two young children sing happily along to "up to our knees in f...." from what I can tell though the majority of the hearts support don't stand for that pish and wish them luck in stamping it out.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 01:12 PM
**** me, thank God I don't know that one. What an embarrassment.

It's the same one the Celtic fans used to sing about Nacho Novo.

Frazerbob
28-12-2017, 01:40 PM
I was in the Roseburn from about 3pm to just before KO. The only Skacel song I heard was the usual one but with the words changed ‘has a ****ing dodgy knee’. The bar staff said they’d stop serving if we didn’t stop singing it. I had to point out that it was a new PC version.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 02:20 PM
I was in the Roseburn from about 3pm to just before KO. The only Skacel song I heard was the usual one but with the words changed ‘has a ****ing dodgy knee’. The bar staff said they’d stop serving if we didn’t stop singing it. I had to point out that it was a new PC version.

Fair enough, I'm just going on what my brother told me. He said he heard the Skacel/IRA song several times yesterday.

Michael
28-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Really disappointing that both sets of fans have been singing some dodgy stuff.

If someone is doing it just record them and get them banned.

Diclonius
28-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Anyone who is caught singing that song should be given a life ban from Easter Road.

If anyone wants to sing sectarian ***** like that they can go to Parkhead. They're not welcome here.

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Really disappointing that both sets of fans have been singing some dodgy stuff.

If someone is doing it just record them and get them banned.

None of our dodgy song made it inside the stadium. Usually just attention seeking morons outside the ground. Very few joined in.
Hearts problem is a lot bigger as they are singing this stuff in increasing numbers inside the stadium.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Anyone who is caught singing that song should be given a life ban from Easter Road.

If anyone wants to sing sectarian ***** like that they can go to Parkhead. They're not welcome here.

But what can you do, when it isn't in the stadium but the pubs around it? If it's during a game, certainly.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 04:11 PM

100% agreed.

Absolutely no time for any pish like that. We have so many good songs being sung by the support which are football related. We don't need anything like this and those who disagree should get themselves a membership for the Green Brigade and a seat at Parkhead.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Just before kickoff last night the billy boys/Gorgie Boys went out from the main stand right beside where I was standing. Was shocked to see what appeared to be a mother with two young children sing happily along to "up to our knees in f...." from what I can tell though the majority of the hearts support don't stand for that pish and wish them luck in stamping it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk3 times I heard it last night but they only seemed to manage a couple of lines before some of the right thinking (?) Jambos we keep hearing about shut them up, or their big cousins haven't taught them all the words yet. Pretty pathetic efforts.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Albanian Hibs
28-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Fair enough, I'm just going on what my brother told me. He said he heard the Skacel/IRA song several times yesterday.

Both songs were aired plenty of times in the roseburn from about 3pm onwards plus The Mercer song with its various versions

Billy Whizz
28-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Both songs were aired plenty of times in the roseburn from about 3pm onwards plus The Mercer song with its various versions

Poor stuff

IlDiavola
28-12-2017, 04:25 PM

:confused: FFS :confused:

What goes on in the minds of these morons?

IlDiavola
28-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Bang on. :aok:

IlDiavola
28-12-2017, 04:30 PM

Y'know? I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek because, if not, that's a wee bit hypocritical considering our recent (and not so recent actually) association with Celtic.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 04:31 PM

The Mercer song I have no problem with personally. Of course it's in poor taste, but what he tried to do was far worse. It isn't sectarian/racist/homophobic or anything else, and he deserves everything that comes his way. It's a song about a disgusting individual who tried to kill our club.

skankomcphee
28-12-2017, 04:37 PM

Difficult to argue against any of this. Separately, I was in the Four in Hand recently and noticed that copies of a free publication called the "Irish Voice" were available - the content was fairly benign in terms of items of interest to the Irish community in Scotland but it did have the feel of something that until very recently would more likely be seen in the environs of Parkhead than Easter Road - e.g. a picture of Gerry Adams on the cover and an advert for a series of gigs that the Wolfe Tones will be playing in Belfast over the next few days.

It's things like this that make me wonder if we've loaned more than just players from Celtic over the past few years.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 04:39 PM
The Mercer song I have no problem with personally. Of course it's in poor taste, but what he tried to do was far worse. It isn't sectarian/racist/homophobic or anything else, and he deserves everything that comes his way. It's a song about a disgusting individual who tried to kill our club.[emoji106]

Jamesie
28-12-2017, 04:41 PM
The Mercer song I have no problem with personally. Of course it's in poor taste, but what he tried to do was far worse. It isn't sectarian/racist/homophobic or anything else, and he deserves everything that comes his way. It's a song about a disgusting individual who tried to kill our club.

Is it not more about his wife than him these days? I find that stuff in pretty poor taste to be honest - it's not like she was the directing mind of the takeover.

IlDiavola
28-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Difficult to argue against any of this. Separately, I was in the Four in Hand recently and noticed that copies of a free publication called the "Irish Voice" were available - the content was fairly benign in terms of items of interest to the Irish community in Scotland but it did have the feel of something that until very recently would more likely be seen in the environs of Parkhead than Easter Road - e.g. a picture of Gerry Adams on the cover and an advert for a series of gigs that the Wolfe Tones will be playing in Belfast over the next few days.

It's things like this that make me wonder if we've loaned more than just players from Celtic over the past few years.

That's the exact point I was trying to make in my post above a few minutes ago. You've just managed to word it better than I. :aok:

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 04:48 PM
:confused: FFS :confused:

What goes on in the minds of these morons?

According to my brother, this song was ironically started following the bar staff threatening to call the Police after there was an airing of the Skacel/refugee song.

Quite how anyone thought that singing a song about him being murdered by the IRA was a step up from singing about him being a refugee is anyone's guess. I'm not a fan of either song but I would say the IRA song is far worse.

I wouldn't want anything to do with that man anywhere near Easter Road. I've said it before but the day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day I pack it all in.

There's no way I'm going to sit through 90 minutes of listening to that crap every other week.

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Is it not more about his wife than him these days? I find that stuff in pretty poor taste to be honest - it's not like she was the directing mind of the takeover.

I fully agree with you. I'm talking about the original Mercer song and its meaning. I won't condemn any Hibs fan for expressing their disdain of him.

majorhibs
28-12-2017, 09:57 PM
There’s us who came very close to losing our team, who meant a LOT to us. We think how we do! & you cannot tell us differently!

erin go bragh
28-12-2017, 10:08 PM
They have always been Huns without the bus fares.

Austinho
29-12-2017, 05:37 AM
I’m sorry, but whilst I completely condemn those songs, a handful of pished up tw*ts singing it in the pub pre game is a completely different problem to our rivals singing it on mass at Tynecastle.

I’ve heard songs of very poor taste at Easter Road before, but I’ve never heard a sectarian one. I’m sure Leanne and the club would act if that ever was the case.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2017, 06:34 AM
I fully agree with you. I'm talking about the original Mercer song and its meaning. I won't condemn any Hibs fan for expressing their disdain of him.

Me neither, i love the song and i hope we never stop singing it.

Hermit Crab
29-12-2017, 09:20 AM
I’m sorry, but whilst I completely condemn those songs, a handful of pished up tw*ts singing it in the pub pre game is a completely different problem to our rivals singing it on mass at Tynecastle.

I’ve heard songs of very poor taste at Easter Road before, but I’ve never heard a sectarian one. I’m sure Leanne and the club would act if that ever was the case.

You've never heard the Forever and ever song?? Really?

Vini1875
29-12-2017, 10:04 AM
You've never heard the Forever and ever song?? Really?

That song is not sectarian nor are the songs mentioning the IRA. There are a lot of ceasefire provos around who sing rebel songs and the like who weren't around when there was fighting in Ireland. Whether people like it or not a lot of our supporters have Irish connections and they may be familar with rebel songs and being young they probably want to rebel against something. To me the young guys in the Hibs support seem to enjoy a song or two which is in bad taste and there will be a number who would be happy to bring back all that. It won't happen. Personally I think its a pity that we couldn't sing Irish songs without any rebel type content eg The Wild Rover or The Hibernia Song. It would lead to rebel songs and back to the mid 80s.

Tynecastle and Hampden seem to the places were most of our bampots get very loud, very drunk and out come the tasteless stuff.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 10:08 AM
That song is not sectarian.

It's got the line about not being mastered by no Orange ******* hasn't it?

You don't think that's sectarian? Thankfully that doesn't seem to be sung much anymore.

The Modfather
29-12-2017, 11:10 AM
None of our dodgy song made it inside the stadium. Usually just attention seeking morons outside the ground. Very few joined in.
Hearts problem is a lot bigger as they are singing this stuff in increasing numbers inside the stadium.

Early on in the game, in the bottom tier by the corner flag, there was a sizeable number singing the Stokes’ Dad song. Shouted a few down and thankfully didn’t hear it again.

There was a young group just in front of me who were more focussed on the Hearts fans with the game being an irrelevance. Was quite funny watching them pick out individuals in the crowd to square up to from 30 yards away.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 11:30 AM
That song is not sectarian nor are the songs mentioning the IRA. There are a lot of ceasefire provos around who sing rebel songs and the like who weren't around when there was fighting in Ireland. Whether people like it or not a lot of our supporters have Irish connections and they may be familar with rebel songs and being young they probably want to rebel against something. To me the young guys in the Hibs support seem to enjoy a song or two which is in bad taste and there will be a number who would be happy to bring back all that. It won't happen. Personally I think its a pity that we couldn't sing Irish songs without any rebel type content eg The Wild Rover or The Hibernia Song. It would lead to rebel songs and back to the mid 80s.

Tynecastle and Hampden seem to the places were most of our bampots get very loud, very drunk and out come the tasteless stuff.

If you want to sing that stuff that's fine but save it for a Republican march.

It has nothing at all to do with Hibernian in the modern world and will only create divisions within the support.

Football songs only at the football please.

Eyrie
29-12-2017, 12:10 PM

It has nothing at all to do with Hibernian in the modern world and will only create divisions within the support.

Well said.

Like the vast majority of 21st century Hibs fans I have no connection with Ireland for several generations (if at all) and no interest in the historic politics of a foreign country.

We are an inclusive modern club which is able to be both proud of its 19th century roots and at the same time not in thrall to them, unlike the Ugly Sisters.

FilipinoHibs
29-12-2017, 12:29 PM
It's got the line about not being mastered by no Orange ******* hasn't it?

You don't think that's sectarian? Thankfully that doesn't seem to be sung much anymore.
Nothing wrong with that.Orange not protestant. ORANGE order a sectarian ant- Catholic organisation.

Betty Boop
29-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Folk on here nitpicking about what's sectarian and what's not are in denial. What have any of these songs to do with football ?

JimBHibees
29-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Folk on here nitpicking about what's sectarian and what's not are in denial. What have any of these songs to do with football ?

Nail on the head.

lapsedhibee
29-12-2017, 12:36 PM

I wouldn't want to chuck out SOL just because it's not about football.

Betty Boop
29-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Aye nae bother.

Vini1875
29-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Clearly you didn't read what I had written or delibrately misunderstood. I'm not advocating that we start singing rebel songs

SOL isn't a football song as such. Do you have a problem with that? Of course you don't

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 12:43 PM

I think you know what I mean.

lapsedhibee
29-12-2017, 12:56 PM

I think you mean 'keep politics and history out of football'. Then SOL would be safe, but mibbe not FOS.

Canon Hannan
29-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Nothing wrong with Irish flags/newsletters at Hibs games. Hibernian will always be proud of our heritage. Shame some don’t respect this for their own agenda.

Hibernian will always mean Ireland and we will
Always play in green. Erin GO Bragh is the motto with the harp. Beautiful stuff.

Many Hibs fans are proud of the history- show some
Respect ffs.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Clearly you didn't read what I had written or delibrately misunderstood. I'm not advocating that we start singing rebel songs

SOL isn't a football song as such. Do you have a problem with that? Of course you don't

I read your post in full and didn't misunderstand any of it.

You said "Personally I think its a pity that we couldn't sing Irish songs without any rebel type content eg The Wild Rover or The Hibernia Song. It would lead to rebel songs and back to the mid 80s."

That tells me that you would be happy to see Irish songs being sung at Easter Road.

If I'm mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Even if they're not rebel songs, I fail to see what singing those songs would add to the atmosphere at Hibs games.

And whilst Sunshine On Leith does not have any direct references to Hibs or football in general, I think that considering it was written and sung by two supporters of the club and mentions the location where the club plays its home games in the title, trying to say that it has nothing to do with Hibs at all is nonsense.

Sunshine On Leith is synonymous with Hibernian FC.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 01:10 PM
I think you mean 'keep politics and history out of football'. Then SOL would be safe, but mibbe not FOS.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Flower of Scotland and would quite like Scotland to adopt a new national anthem. I think it's a backward looking dirge.

The Modfather
29-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Nothing wrong with Irish flags/newsletters at Hibs games. Hibernian will always be proud of our heritage. Shame some don’t respect this for their own agenda.

Always play in green. Erin GO Bragh is the motto with the harp. Beautiful stuff.

Respect ffs.

The converse being some over play it for their own agendas.

It's been done to death, our name, badge and strip colour all pay homage to our roots. Our songbook should be football related reflecting we are a Scottish club welcome to all in 2017.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Respect ffs.

I have absolutely no problem with our badge, our name, our colours and will never deny our history. I wouldn't wish to change any of that.

I don't see what I have said that is disrespectful to our history. Just because I don't want to become a miniature version of Celtic doesn't mean that I want us to change the history books or deny where our roots are based. I'm quite proud that we have a unique history in that sense and always will be.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Nothing wrong with that.Orange not protestant. ORANGE order a sectarian ant- Catholic organisation.

I don't agree with the orange order either and wish it didn't exist but it's a legitimate organisation in the eyes of the law unfortunately and using the term orange ******* is sectarian, particularly within the context of Scottish football where the meaning of "fenian" covers anything catholic or Irish and "orange" does the same for anything protestant or unionist. No amount of denial or whataboutery changes that, it's just a fact.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 01:16 PM
The converse being some over play it for their own agendas.

It's been done to death, our name, badge and strip colour all pay homage to our roots. Our songbook should be football related reflecting we are a Scottish club welcome to all in 2017.

:top marks

skankomcphee
29-12-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't see what I have said that is disrespectful to our history. Just because I don't want to become a miniature version of Celtic doesn't mean that I want us to change the history books or deny where our roots are based. I'm quite proud that we have a unique history in that sense and always will be.

I don’t see where you have said anything disrespectful either; however I suspect there are some who would happily sing Amhrán na bhFiann at Easter Road despite having limited personal links to Eire at most.

A point was made earlier in the thread regarding the young wishing to rebel and arguably that is even more so the case now with wider societal issues playing a part in creating a greater sense of disillusionment within the current generation of late teens / early to mid 20s than has been the case since probably WW2. However I am perhaps over complicating matters by trying to link what we heard at Tynecastle on Wednesday night with those matters.

GreenLake
29-12-2017, 01:33 PM
I thought our club had moved on from that divisive nonsense.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 01:39 PM
I thought our club had moved on from that divisive nonsense.

I'd say we have overall and that's to our credit. I think the section of our support that would like to see it make a comeback is just a very small minority thankfully.

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Respect ffs.

Hibernian has always meant football to me, not Ireland.

More and more posts appearing recently banging on about our Irish origins and history for some reason.

There’s plenty wrong with Irish leaflets and newsletters getting handed out around ER. Slippery slope to making our fans a political play thing just like Celtic’s.

I don’t want any of that anywhere near my club. We’re Scottish, always have been, always will be and play in Scotland.

Why not not hand out a few Saltires?

Canon Hannan
29-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I have absolutely no problem with our badge, our name, our colours and will never deny our history. I wouldn't wish to change any of that.

Being proud of our history has nothing to do with Celtic. Hibs have a similar but separate history. Some Hibs fans have Irish or Catholic backgrounds which should also be respected. I hope you would agree that it is ok too. Hibs will never be Like Celtic as we have a more diverse support and that’s a good thing. I also think I mixed you up with ‘Sir Savid of Gray’ and that’s why I snapped 😂 He was a Hearts infiltrator!
Think I will wear the Erin Go Bragh scarf on Saturday as us been a while 😎👍🍀
Peace

Canon Hannan
29-12-2017, 01:54 PM

More and more posts appearing recently banging on about our Irish origins and history for some reason.

There’s plenty wrong with Irish leaflets and newsletters getting handed out around ER. Slippery slope to making our fans a political play thing just like Celtic’s.

I don’t want any of that anywhere near my club. We’re Scottish, always have been, always will be and play in Scotland.

Happy for Saltires and Tricolours to be at Hibs games. 🙏
Hibs, scotlandand then Ireland is important to me and many. That’s ok too.

Malthibby
29-12-2017, 02:19 PM

:agree: Yup, even if there was an argument about celebrating our beginnings, it's too bound up in stuff that's just not acceptable. Someone earlier suggested there wasn't a problem with Hibs fans singing
songs about the IRA. There are many, many problems with that & I don't want them anywhere near my club either. Leave it to The Rantic where it unfortunately belongs.
GG

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Being proud of our history has nothing to do with Celtic. Hibs have a similar but separate history. Some Hibs fans have Irish or Catholic backgrounds which should also be respected. I hope you would agree that it is ok too. Hibs will never be Like Celtic as we have a more diverse support and that’s a good thing. I also think I mixed you up with ‘Sir Savid of Gray’ and that’s why I snapped 😂 He was a Hearts infiltrator!
Think I will wear the Erin Go Bragh scarf on Saturday as us been a while 😎👍🍀
Peace

Some Hibs fans will also identify with a British, Unionist and Protestant background. Should that also be respected during games?

There's one thing and one thing only which unifies the entire support and that's everyone's love of Hibernian Football Club. That's the one and only thing that should be celebrated during each match.

Whether people support the SNP, Labour or the Conservatives, whether they are Muslim, Hindu or Christian, whether they believe in Ireland being united or not, none of that should be highlighted during a game of football, it is irrelevant and will only serve to split the support and cause an unwelcome division.

When so much has been done in recent years to unite the support behind the club, why would anyone want to damage that?

The Harp
29-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Can you not accept that many Hibs fans are of Irish extraction? We have a love for the club and a connection with the club's origins.
I pick up a copy of The Irish Voice when it's offered outside ER or at St Pat's - anything wrong with that? If you don't want to read it, don't take it. Pretty simple, I would've thought.
The club is all-inclusive, which is the way we all want it.

Canon Hannan
29-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Some Hibs fans will also identify with a British, Unionist and Protestant background. Should that also be respected during games?

There's one thing and one thing only which unifies the entire support and that's everyone's love of Hibernian Football Club. That's the one and only thing that should be celebrated during each match.

Whether people support the SNP, Labour or the Conservatives, whether they are Muslim, Hindu or Christian, whether they believe in Ireland being united or not, none of that should be highlighted during a game of football, it is irrelevant and will only serve to split the support and cause an unwelcome division.

When so much has been done in recent years to unite the support behind the club, why would anyone want to damage that?

Can’t disagree my friend. However a Union Flag in red white and blue would maybe cause a riot from many Hibbies. Think we can agree Hibs and the fans are in a good place now.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 03:04 PM

May I just add in relation to the Mercer song (as mentioned previously) it has EVERYTHING to do with football. Yes it's nasty, but the only reason it gets an airing almost thirty years on is because he could have ended our club. So, whilst it's in poor taste, it is football related and isn't political or anything else. It's a football song in the wider sense.

In relation to Rebel songs, not for me. I consider myself an Irish Republican in full support of the aims of the 1916 uprising (not Republican in the Provo sense) but other Hibs fans will have a different perspective which I respect. If we go down that path then I agree with Vini: we'd be opening the doors to the lunatics and the Old Firm syndrome. Furthermore, anything which is discriminatory in any sense: sectarian, racist, homophobic, misogynistic should have zero tolerance at Hibs. We are an inclusive club which I like to think has a progressive outlook.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Yes we are, but I always consider Hibs to be Scots-Irish. That's my personal view and not an opinion I expect any other Hibs fan to share, but both for me both are central to the history and identity of the club. That isn't to say that anyone from other backgrounds isn't just as welcome; just the reverse.

The Modfather
29-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Can’t disagree my friend. However a Union Flag in red white and blue would maybe cause a riot from many Hibbies. Think we can agree Hibs and the fans are in a good place now.

I suspect the only people who would do some rioting at the mere sight of a flag are the same folk who would be waving tri colours and overplaying all things Irish in our heritage.

Meanwhile 99% of us wouldn’t pay anymore attention to a Union flag than a tri colour at ER. I’d also wager the majority would probably rather see a Hibs flag than either of the two above.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 03:21 PM
I suspect the only people who would do some rioting at the mere sight of a flag are the same folk who would be waving tri colours and overplaying all things Irish in our heritage.

Meanwhile 99% of us wouldn’t pay anymore attention to a Union flag than a tri colour at ER. I’d also wager the majority would probably rather see a Hibs flag than either of the two above.

I really wouldn't bother me to see a Union flag. I suspect of those who would be annoyed, it would be because of the visibility of said flag at Hearts/Rangers. I'll be honest, I'd rather not see one for that reason, but not because of any political stance. I wouldn't deny anyone the right to bring one.

malcolm
29-12-2017, 03:27 PM
May I just add in relation to the Mercer song (as mentioned previously) it has EVERYTHING to do with football. Yes it's nasty, but the only reason it gets an airing almost thirty years on is because he could have ended our club. So, whilst it's in poor taste, it is football related and isn't political or anything else. It's a football song in the wider sense.

In relation to Rebel songs, not for me. I consider myself an Irish Republican in full support of the aims of the 1916 uprising (not Republican in the Provo sense) but other Hibs fans will have a different perspective which I respect. If we go down that path, then, I agree with Vini: we'd be opening the doors to the lunatics and the Old Firm syndrome. Furthermore, anything which is discriminatory in any sense: sectarian, racist, homophobic, misogynistic should have zero tolerance at Hibs. We are an inclusive club which I like to think has a progressive outlook.

I’d add nationalistic, religious and flags (who wants to be stuck behind a flag of any colour :wink:) to that list of the unwelcome. I’d also object to the agenda that prescribes ‘hun’ as a sectarian term when its is clearly hugely and appropriately simply a more than adequate descriptive term for the unloved, badly behaved and unwelcome. Similarly the acceptance of ‘orange’ as a universal term for a particular branch of Christianity seems to be accepting another incarnation of the we know best and will tell you what you believe based on our own tiny minded prejudices.

I’d like just to be reading about football here but fair enough we need some leeway or we could not laugh at the jambos :wink:

basehibby
29-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Got to pull you up on that. Hibs started up as very much an Irish club playing in Scotland - hence the name! That said, the aims of the club were all about building bridges and making friends and over the years Hibs have undeniably become a Scottish sporting institution. Personally I would identify more with ShangALang by the Bay City Rollers than some of the obscure Irish songs referenced on this thread - but ive no problem with anyone who takes pride in the Irish roots of Hibs. Just leave the politics at the door thanks ☺

Bostonhibby
29-12-2017, 03:32 PM

When so much has been done in recent years to unite the support behind the club, why would anyone want to damage that?Totally agree. Aware of and proud of our history and the struggle they had to get there but in the same spirit we are an inclusive club, all faiths, and non faith fans welcome.
Prefer not to see football clubs aligned with people who preach a particular point of view at the expense of others in the political or religious world.

IlDiavola
29-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Got to pull you up on that. Hibs started up as very much an Irish club playing in Scotland - hence the name! That said, the aims of the club were all about building bridges and making friends and over the years Hibs have undeniably become a Scottish sporting institution. Personally I would identify more with ShangALang by the Bay City Rollers than some of the obscure Irish songs referenced on this thread - but ive no problem with anyone who takes pride in the Irish roots of Hibs. Just leave the politics at the door thanks ☺

Great post :top marks

hibsbollah
29-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Flag debaaaaaaaaate zzzzzz

Mr White
29-12-2017, 03:44 PM
I’d add nationalistic, religious and flags (who wants to be stuck behind a flag of any colour :wink:) to that list of the unwelcome. I’d also object to the agenda that prescribes ‘hun’ as a sectarian term when its is clearly hugely and appropriately simply a more than adequate descriptive term for the unloved, badly behaved and unwelcome. Similarly the acceptance of ‘orange’ as a universal term for a particular branch of Christianity seems to be accepting another incarnation of the we know best and will tell you what you believe based on our own tiny minded prejudices.

I’d like just to be reading about football here but fair enough we need some leeway or we could not laugh at the jambos :wink:
I agree with you regarding the term hun. Suggesting that's sectarian is simply an attempt by them to muddy the waters and justify their own favourite terms of discrimination. That nilbymouth agreed with them was a mistake imo.

Orange however... although I can see where you're coming from, in the context of the bigotry that exists in Scotland and Northern Ireland it has become interchangeable with "protestant" unfortunately. Also I'm fairly certain that shouting the term "orange *******" in a Scottish football ground could get you arrested under the current offensive behaviour at football legislation. On that basis it's sectarian and it's not something we should lower ourselves to as a support IMO.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Totally agree. Aware of and proud of our history and the struggle they had to get there but in the same spirit we are an inclusive club, all faiths, and non faith fans welcome.
Prefer not to see football clubs aligned with people who preach a particular point of view at the expense of others in the political or religious world.

:agree:

The trouble is that when non-football matters are taken as a pre-requisite of being part of any football club, it immediately becomes divisive; exclusive and not inclusive. It's likely there will be a shared outlook amongst the majority within any support, due to the shared locality and background; but, when it becomes a requirement at a particular club, you're going to get dissent and arguments which result in alienation. A football club should be a place where people of diverse opinion can unite in a common cause. It's none of my business how the person next to me at a match feels about politics/religion/economics etc, nor do I care. I have my views, others will have theirs. Example: what place is there for the practising Catholic at Ibrox or the Ulster Unionist at Parkhead? Immediately one enters territory of folk being excluded on issues that have nothing to do with football. I think we have a duty to refrain from imposing ourselves on others on matters out of context.

Bostonhibby
29-12-2017, 03:53 PM

The trouble is that when non-football matters are taken as a pre-requisite of being part of any football club, it immediately becomes divisive; exclusive and not inclusive. It's likely there will be a shared outlook amongst the majority within support, due to the shared locality and background; but, when it becomes a requirement at a particular club, you're going to get dissent and arguments which result in alienation. A football club should be a place where people of diverse opinion can unite in a common cause. It's none of my business how the person next to me at a match feels about politics/religion/economics etc, nor do I care. I have my views, others will have theirs. Example: what place is there for the practising Catholic at Ibrox or the Ulster Unionist at Parkhead? Immediately one enters territory of folk being excluded on issues that have nothing to do with football. I think we have a duty to refrain from imposing ourselves on others on matters out of context.Indeed.

As an atheist born into a protestant family who supports Hibs, I am also related to a Catholic who chose to follow the team that replaced the now defunct Glasgow rangers.

Johnny Clash
29-12-2017, 03:54 PM

In relation to Rebel songs, not for me. I consider myself an Irish Republican in full support of the aims of the 1916 uprising (not Republican in the Provo sense) but other Hibs fans will have a different perspective which I respect. If we go down that path then I agree with Vini: we'd be opening the doors to the lunatics and the Old Firm syndrome. Furthermore, anything which is discriminatory in any sense: sectarian, racist, homophobic, misogynistic should have zero tolerance at Hibs. We are an inclusive club which I like to think has a progressive outlook.

Good post. I agree with most points here apart from the Wallet Mercer song being about football . Mercer was never a football fan in a million years. He was a wee devious Tory bassa who saw a business opportunity; it was a takeover bid. Pure and simple: Destroy your rivals and scoop up the profit.

He never even claimed to be a lifelong Jambo. His heroes, framed on his office wall, were Thatcher and the Queen. He was, by all accounts, an odious wee greedy Tory. So what he launched in the late 80s was political/business and not a football consideration. When he was alive I certainly sang ‘you’re just a fat Tory bassa’ but I have always cringed when Hibees sing a song about his death with bolt on lyrics that extend to his wife. It’s just comes across small minded and horrible. There are songs that need to be sung about Lennon and possibly Dempster , ... time to move on.

Juice-Terry
29-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Protestant atheist is where it's at. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
29-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Protestant atheist is where it's at. :greengrinYou can be agnostic as well☺

hibbiedon
29-12-2017, 04:11 PM

We are Hibs, a non sectarian family club :flag:

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Good post. I agree with most points here apart from the Wallet Mercer song being about football . Mercer was never a football fan in a million years. He was a wee devious Tory bassa who saw a business opportunity; it was a takeover bid. Pure and simple: Destroy your rivals and scoop up the profit.

He never even claimed to be a lifelong Jambo. His heroes, framed on his office wall, were Thatcher and the Queen. He was, by all accounts, an odious wee greedy Tory. So what he launched in the late 80s was political/business and not a football consideration. When he was alive I certainly sang ‘you’re just a fat Tory bassa’ but I have always cringed when Hibees sing a song about his death with bolt on lyrics that extend to his wife. It’s just comes across small minded and horrible. There are songs that need to be sung about Lennon and possibly Dempster , ... time to move on.

But, whatever Mercer's motivations, the fact he is he wanted Hibs shut down and was conceited enough to think he could do it. It wasn't 'just business' to Hibs fans; he made it personal and a question of survival. Whilst I agree any lyrics about his wife shouldn't be used, he deserves everything he gets. It's a football song: perhaps the most important football issue of all to Hibs - our existence - and he knew what he was doing and what the consequences were. I'm glad he's dead, along with his heroine Thatcher, and they can have no complaints. He epitomised her philosophy of individualism regardless of the harm upon countless others. I only hope that, on his deathbed he had the wisdom to ponder whether he'd done the right thing with his life.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 04:30 PM
But, whatever Mercer's motivations, the fact he is he wanted Hibs shut down and was conceited enough to think he could do it. It wasn't 'just business' to Hibs fans; he made it personal and a question of survival. Whilst I agree any lyrics about his wife shouldn't be used, he deserves everything he gets. It's a football song: perhaps the most important football issue of all to Hibs - our existence - and he knew what he was doing and what the consequences were. I'm glad he's dead, along with his heroine Thatcher, and they can have no complaints. He epitomised her philosophy of individualism regardless of the harm upon countless others. I only hope that, on his deathbed he had the wisdom to ponder whether he'd done the right thing with his life.

No chance. I suspect his only regret was that he'd made his last buck.

Smartie
29-12-2017, 04:33 PM
No chance. I suspect his only regret was that he'd made his last buck.

Probably tortured by the thought that all his money was about to go to other people, even if they were his wife and family.

malcolm
29-12-2017, 04:38 PM
I agree with you regarding the term hun. Suggesting that's sectarian is simply an attempt by them to muddy the waters and justify their own favourite terms of discrimination. That nilbymouth agreed with them was a mistake imo.

Orange however... although I can see where you're coming from, in the context of the bigotry that exists in Scotland and Northern Ireland it has become interchangeable with "protestant" unfortunately. Also I'm fairly certain that shouting the term "orange *******" in a Scottish football ground could get you arrested under the current offensive behaviour at football legislation. On that basis it's sectarian and it's not something we should lower ourselves to as a support IMO.

Yes but.. I won’t make the mistake of assuming that a geographical location is colouring your views but, while in time words change meaning by the general acceptance and common usage, for now it is just wrong to accept that these terms are interchangeable and we should rebel, in the best meaning of the term, against such lazy and insulting usages. If its wrong its wrong no matter how many idiots, or self appointed guardians of the sectarian glossary, agree - correctness is not an immediate democratic contest:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2017, 04:40 PM
They may have been singing up to our knees in freezing mud. Would not disagree.

green day
29-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Great post. Mercer didn't hate us, he just disregarded us totally.

Agreed, screw him 👍

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Can you not accept that many Hibs fans are of Irish extraction? We have a love for the club and a connection with the club's origins.
I pick up a copy of The Irish Voice when it's offered outside ER or at St Pat's - anything wrong with that? If you don't want to read it, don't take it. Pretty simple, I would've thought.
The club is all-inclusive, which is the way we all want it.

Happy for Saltires and Tricolours to be at Hibs games. 🙏
Hibs, scotlandand then Ireland is important to me and many. That’s ok too.

Yes we are, but I always consider Hibs to be Scots-Irish. That's my personal view and not an opinion I expect any other Hibs fan to share, but both for me both are central to the history and identity of the club. That isn't to say that anyone from other backgrounds isn't just as welcome; just the reverse.

Fair do’s.

A fine line though between celebrating that part of our history and getting involved with the unsavoury stuff that can come along with it.

I just hope we’re not heading slowly down that awful path.

Baader
29-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Probably too excited by the prospect of meeting Maggie in Hell.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Yes but.. I won’t make the mistake of assuming that a geographical location is colouring your views but, while in time words change meaning by the general acceptance and common usage, for now it is just wrong to accept that these terms are interchangeable and we should rebel, in the best meaning of the term, against such lazy and insulting usages. If its wrong its wrong no matter how many idiots, or self appointed guardians of the sectarian glossary, agree - correctness is not an immediate democratic contest:greengrin

My location absolutely does colour my opinion on this. I see too much nauseatingly small minded pish on a regular basis for it not to.

I feel sorry for good and ordinary protestants who feel tarred by the same brush in this instance but while the orange order is ripe for and deserving of criticism and ridicule, they're also a religious organisation and using terms like "orange *******" at the football plays right into their hands as it gives them the opportunity to claim intolerance on the basis of religious belief.

It is a lazy combination of terms granted, but that's where we're at and the best way to protect the good name of Hibernian is to avoid all that nonsense and keep the moral high ground in order to point and laugh at the knuckle-draggers who keep it alive.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2017, 04:55 PM
My location absolutely does colour my opinion on this. I see too much nauseatingly small minded pish on a regular basis for it not to.

I feel sorry for good and ordinary protestants who feel tarred by the same brush in this instance but while the orange order is ripe for and deserving of criticism and ridicule, they're also a religious organisation and using terms like "orange *******" at the football plays right into their hands as it gives them the opportunity to claim intolerance on the basis of religious belief.

It is a lazy combination of terms granted, but that's where we're at and the best way to protect the good name of Hibernian is to avoid all that nonsense and keep the moral high ground in order to point and laugh at the knuckle-draggers who keep it alive.

Let's avoid all such terminology and so avoid any misunderstanding.

malcolm
29-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Can’t argue with that

The Harp
29-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Fair do’s.

A fine line though between celebrating that part of our history and getting involved with the unsavoury stuff that can come along with it.

I just hope we’re not heading slowly down that awful path.

Good on ya WTC.
Our fan base is as diverse as any in Scotland. I don't think any one particular element among the support would ever have it all their own way.
By and large, we're a pretty fair-minded bunch with a good sense of right and wrong.

Mr White
29-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Good on ya WTC.
Our fan base is as diverse as any in Scotland. I don't think any one particular element among the support would ever have it all their own way.
By and large, we're a pretty fair-minded bunch with a good sense of right and wrong.

Absolutely. Evidenced by the fact that things that used to be sung or chanted years ago were self-policed to the point of it being a rare and fairly quiet occurrence these days.

Albanian Hibs
29-12-2017, 05:21 PM

He original version I understand, and i do sing it myself, but stuff about his wife etc is in poor taste imo.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2017, 10:28 AM
He original version I understand, and i do sing it myself, but stuff about his wife etc is in poor taste imo.

Agreed, and it shouldn't happen.

southern hibby
30-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Respect ffs.

Think you could be wrong thought Hibernia was Ireland and HIBERNIAN was Irish man, or inhabitant of Hibernia. Or maybe I’ve got my history wrong.

GGTTH

Joe6-2
30-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Two of a kind