PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes - looking at recruitment strategy

jakedance
28-12-2017, 12:12 PM
The Daily Record have a really interesting video up about the science and strategy of how Hibs identify and recruit talent. I know many of you don't like clicking through to Daily Record articles but this is well worth 20 minutes of your time. Great to see how well the club appear to be working behind the scenes. It's no coincidence that the quality of our signings have got so much better in the last few years. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-strategy-uncovered-club-11758466

Allant1981
28-12-2017, 01:22 PM
a good watch, who was the player who changed his mind on the last day of the window?

AllyT
28-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Well worth watching. Really impressed with how professional we are

Jack Hackett
28-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Impressive to say the least. I wonder how hertz go about these things

"How big is he?"

"Can he fall over and roll around in a convincing fashion?"

If the answers to both questions is 'Very', lock him in a room until he signs

Lancs Harp
28-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Agreed, a really interesting watch, thanks for posting. Hibs have a great set up and structure. Structure means that Hibs will continue to move forward regardless of who is at the club in the future behind the scenes, making that decision to put that structure in place is probably as important a decision than anything Hibs have decided in living memory.

Mikey
28-12-2017, 01:50 PM
I've posted about this on the PM board too.........

Two trips to the Training Centre stand out for me.

The first one was to meet Terry Butcher. He spoke about how pleased he was to get his scout at ICT Steve Wotsisname (I can't remember his surname) to join Hibs as well as he was so important to the process. It did raise an eyebrow or two though when he mentioned that a lot of players are signed on his say so and that Butcher would never even have seen them in action.

The second was in the very early days of the current set up and George Craig was talking about the importance of having a structure to improve our chances. He spoke about percentages a lot. We can't do much about individual errors or bad calls by officials (like last night's), but they want to give the team every chance of winning by being as good as we can in every position. It was a hard sell for him as we'd just lost at Alloa.

We'll still get guys who don't quite fit in, like Big Dave for instance, but it should be a rarer occurrence.

bingo70
28-12-2017, 01:54 PM
a good watch, who was the player who changed his mind on the last day of the window?

Kelvin Wilson, used to be at Celtic and Notts Forest, was strongly linked with us on transfer deadline day a while back, i'm assuming it was him.

dp00
28-12-2017, 01:55 PM
This is the kinda thing I’d love to see on Hibs TV ... that’s an excellent watch we need to blow our own trumpet with things more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy
28-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Very very good video, thanks for posting.

Devonhibs
28-12-2017, 01:59 PM
a good watch, who was the player who changed his mind on the last day of the window? Luke Berry?

Allant1981
28-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Luke Berry?

thats who i was thinking but i remember someone on here saying it was because on personal details being leaked

bingo70
28-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Luke Berry?

Pretty sure that wasn't the last day of the window?

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Great watch. George Craig does a great job.

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 02:48 PM
From watching that, it’s clear if Slivka is sold on for a fee then Juventus get a cut.

jakedance
28-12-2017, 05:10 PM
From watching that, it’s clear if Slivka is sold on for a fee then Juventus get a cut.

Aye. Everyone’s a winner. Hibs get a player, the player furthers their career and Juve get a reliable partner to make a wee profit or break even.

The big clubs are hoovering up all the best talent. A club like Hibs can have a strategy to get the best scraps.

bigstu
28-12-2017, 05:40 PM

strange he has not been getting a look in recently, has he been injured??

Col2
28-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Tried to watch the video on iPhone several time and it either stops or repeats itself like a scratched record.

I ****in hate the Daily Record site. It’s full of constant pop up adverts and sheer crap.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 07:11 PM
An interesting watch, but the proof of a good recruitment strategy will only be shown in the impact made by those we sign.

Ronniekirk
28-12-2017, 07:12 PM
strange he has not been getting a look in recently, has he been injured??

No so its highly unlikely anyone will be buying him
A promising start seems to have stalled and when McGinn was suspended V Thistle he didn't play that well
Not sure what the issue is but we clearly aren't getting the best out of him just now

wookie70
28-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Not sure I would agree that our recruitment has been good recently. Under There does seem to be a strategy, younger players with good quality. Supplement that with older wiser players like Bartley and Fontaine. Under Lennon though the younger players seem to be the cheaper part of the deal and our spending seems focused on players who are already proven and could be argued are on the way down not up.

MacGruber
28-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Not sure we should be letting everyone else know how it's done...

jakedance
28-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Not sure I would agree that our recruitment has been good recently. Under There does seem to be a strategy, younger players with good quality. Supplement that with older wiser players like Bartley and Fontaine. Under Lennon though the younger players seem to be the cheaper part of the deal and our spending seems focused on players who are already proven and could be argued are on the way down not up.

The three years pre and post relegation are like night and day though. At our end of the market there are no certainties but it’s frightening how bad some of the huddies signed by Butcher and Fenlon were.

Eyrie
28-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Not sure we should be letting everyone else know how it's done...

It's hardly a secret. The difference is that we're willing to put the resources into doing it properly.

Big_Franck
28-12-2017, 08:00 PM
I hate clicking on weegie rag links but that was a great watch. Very interesting and it all looks really professional. It's hard to see how a player (in our kind of market) could be shown round the stadium, the city, the training centre and meet the staff and not be impressed. It'll be interesting to see who we target in January.

Twiglet
28-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Who's the player furthest away on the bike around 7m 30? Is it Ben Stirling? The development photos are a bit old to tell.

WhileTheChief..
28-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Brilliant vid, thanks for posting.

Fair play to the Record as well, why has the EEN never done or tried to do something similar?

All about raising the profile of the club. We used to complain that the media had some kind of agenda against us. Now it’s pretty much always positive stuff.

The Lennon effect :cb

Ozyhibby
28-12-2017, 08:48 PM

It’s not perfect but it is an improvement on what went on before. Going into this window we probably only need a striker but a right back and a creative midfielder would be nice. Under the previous set up we went into every window wanting the whole team replaced.

hibby6270
28-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Clicked through to the DR article from the Hibs FB page. I reckoned if it was sanctioned by the club itself it was going to be as truthful as the DR ever gets. Wasn’t disappointed. Great insight.

However, if the player choosing process is as scientific as it’s made out, how the hell did the name of Kyle Lafferty crop up in the so called top 5 list of targets. Remember, we were supposedly going to speak to him first before he was “poached” from under our noses by them in Gorgie - Thank goodness.

Software maybe needing tweaked?

Thecat23
28-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Clicked through to the DR article from the Hibs FB page. I reckoned if it was sanctioned by the club itself it was going to be as truthful as the DR ever gets. Wasn’t disappointed. Great insight.

However, if the player choosing process is as scientific as it’s made out, how the hell did the name of Kyle Lafferty crop up in the so called top 5 list of targets. Remember, we were supposedly going to speak to him first before he was “poached” from under our noses by them in Gorgie - Thank goodness.

Software maybe needing tweaked?

We weren’t speaking to him first, Hearts had spoke to him a few times we then said we’d like to have him in for a chat Hearts shat it threw silly money at him and he signed. No offer was made from us thankfully.

wookie70
28-12-2017, 11:45 PM
The three years pre and post relegation are like night and day though. At our end of the market there are no certainties but it’s frightening how bad some of the huddies signed by Butcher and Fenlon were.

We haven't really seen the success stories under Lennon that we did under Stubbs. All our best players were here when Stubbs arrived or were signed by him.

Admittedly, we seem to be beyond signing junk but then we are spending more money.

It's still reasonably early in Lennon's Hibs career and there is no doubt he is doing his job and he undoubtedly has some great qualities. It will be the next couple of windows that will decide whether he is getting more out of Stubb's signings and the bulk of his team or if he has benefited from them improving as good players quite often do. A couple of really good signings that were not known quantities would see my own undecided view on Lennon change to a positive one fairly quickly.

horseflesh
28-12-2017, 11:52 PM
We weren’t speaking to him first, Hearts had spoke to him a few times we then said we’d like to have him in for a chat Hearts shat it threw silly money at him and he signed. No offer was made from us thankfully.

Regardless of how it happened, I’m surprised that Kyle Lafferty and Anthony Stokes were ever on a list of computer generated suitable players

kaimendhibs
29-12-2017, 02:04 AM
Great video. Shame about the presenters scarf tho[emoji58]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Austinho
29-12-2017, 06:15 AM
The three years pre and post relegation are like night and day though. At our end of the market there are no certainties but it’s frightening how bad some of the huddies signed by Butcher and Fenlon were.This. And it’s not just about the recruitment of new players, it’s the retention and early contract extension offers of currently players that seems to have improved. Plus, with this new structure in place, I believe we’ll have better continuity in the squad and playing style for future managers when Lennon eventually moves on (hopefully not for a long time).

bingo70
29-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Regardless of how it happened, I’m surprised that Kyle Lafferty and Anthony Stokes were ever on a list of computer generated suitable players

Think the relevant bit you've missed there is that it's not all done by computer. There's players who show up great based on statistics but are not fancied by the management team, likewise there's players who will have really bad statistics but the manager really likes. It's not a black and white way of defining if a player is good or not.

FWIW i was delighted to hear that as i hate this management by spreadsheet that seems to be creeping into football, yards covered, assists, % of passes, hot spot areas on the pitch etc etc etc.......There can be some use for it obviously but when assessing how a player or the team has played IMO a manager should be able to make a judgement on a player based on their eyes, experience and gut feeling (this isn't obviously relevant for identifying new players).

SirDavidsNapper
29-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Great watch. This club is really moving forward. Makes you see the relative success on the park isn't a fluke.

green day
29-12-2017, 10:18 AM
The Daily Record have a really interesting video up about the science and strategy of how Hibs identify and recruit talent. I know many of you don't like clicking through to Daily Record articles but this is well worth 20 minutes of your time. Great to see how well the club appear to be working behind the scenes. It's no coincidence that the quality of our signings have got so much better in the last few years. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-strategy-uncovered-club-11758466

Well spotted.

That was a great watch, it gives me massive confidence that - even if we have short term setbacks - that the club is on such a good course strategically.

I was supposed to be at the last .net visit to HTC, but had to pull pout last minute, so really interesting to hear from all these people - who seem really dedicated.

Baker9
29-12-2017, 10:21 AM
What a great insight into the team behind the team. Promoting the video through a National Newspaper is a master stroke and will give it a good chance of a wider audience. First 3 names on the team sheet - Dempster, Craig, Lennon. I am really proud to be a Hibby. :thumbsup:

Phil MaGlass
29-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I can see a big difference coming between the top four and the rest of the league in the future, maybe with hertz scraping 5th. The rest of the league will find it difficult to keep up.

matty_f
29-12-2017, 11:04 AM
This is our biggest and best chance of consistently challenging and growing at the top end of the table. Financially, we are one of the stronger teams in the league, broadly comparable with Aberdeen and Hearts, though both probably have the edge on us financially at this moment in time (Aberdeen because they have some people plugging money into them, and have also had European football and some good finishes in the league, Hearts because of the huge amounts of money the fans put in via FoH).

Spending what we have in the right areas and in the right way could be the thing that gives us the advantage over similarly sized clubs, and done well can close or virtually eradicate the gap between us and The Rangers (I think the gap to Celtic is too big, and will remain too big for a considerable period).

The Rangers will eventually have to downscale their spending - their hopes rest on European football but for me, they're miles away from being good enough to guarantee it, and without it they can't afford to spend enough to compete with Celtic. There's not a huge difference in the standard of player that they can attract over the players that Aberdeen, Hearts, or ourselves could. They're more likely to pay over the odds for players of similar ability to the ones we're all signing.

That brings them back into the pack with the rest of us, so having a solid set up at the club and a well executed recruitment strategy could see us grow to a point where we're consistently second, and who knows, we might even get close enough at some point to challenge for top spot.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-12-2017, 05:54 PM
We haven't really seen the success stories under Lennon that we did under Stubbs. All our best players were here when Stubbs arrived or were signed by him.

Admittedly, we seem to be beyond signing junk but then we are spending more money.

It's still reasonably early in Lennon's Hibs career and there is no doubt he is doing his job and he undoubtedly has some great qualities. It will be the next couple of windows that will decide whether he is getting more out of Stubb's signings and the bulk of his team or if he has benefited from them improving as good players quite often do. A couple of really good signings that were not known quantities would see my own undecided view on Lennon change to a positive one fairly quickly.

I prefer Lennon as a manager, but there is no doubt that at this moment it looks like Stubbs made the better signinings.