PDA

View Full Version : A couple of things about last night...

Wee Effen Bee
28-12-2017, 07:42 AM
I was unable to watch all the game last night so I’m relying on the 15/20 minutes I did see, radio coverage, highlights, Hibs.net and news reports to make my points: Hearts are the epitome of the term ‘spoilers’. Their tactics of hoofing, leaving the boot in and breaking up the opposition’s attack by fouling is anti-football. Who TF would want to watch that week in week out? I generally find Tom English’s comments (and articles) insightful and well thought out..until it comes to Hearts! I thought he slavered a lot of pish about Hearts’ solid, combative approach and how Lennon was hyping Hibs’ performance too much. His reason? We didn’t break the Hearts defence down enough in the second half. Forgive me but, surely, Hearts were the in-form team, playing at home, not lost a goal in 4 games, unbeaten since returning to Tynie, playing against a team with indifferent recent form and had hammered the champions elect 4 nowt last time out. Is it not their job to come out and sweep us aside by dominating play and attacking at every opportunity? Maybe I’m not picking but, In his BBC match report, he also alluded that not giving the ‘penalty’ (which never was) was as bad a mistake as not allowing the goal!
Apologies for length of post😁

mjhibby
28-12-2017, 08:13 AM
He does seem to have a soft spot for them but as you say as the home team the onus is on them to attack. That he finds great virtue in a team not losing a goal at home in a Derby says a lot about his outlook. At the kick off they were saying how they would end our unbeaten run etc and indeed many were tipping them to win. We did break them down as we scored and that in tight games is a lot of the time all you need. Pity about English as he's usually decent talking about other teams. Michael stewart was much better and gave a very good summation of the match as did Stubbsy.

Wee Effen Bee
28-12-2017, 08:28 AM
English has praised us a bit this season but I felt he was a wee bit ‘Heartsy’ about the game last night. He praised their battling capabilities but, if I were a Jambo, yes, I would have been happy enough with the point, but disappointed in the industrial, skill-less performance at home against our biggest rivals.

Thecat23
28-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Kind of agree with Tom English. We never really turned up second half. Saying that our defence was just as good as Hearts so we were also solid. It’s clear to see we have the better team and come the next derby I think both teams will have huge changes in them.

matty_f
28-12-2017, 08:57 AM
I generally quite like Tom English, I thought he was fair last night.

The one thing that did really bug me about the coverage last night was the fawning over Hearts' defensive record, like their defence was responsible for the clean sheet yesterday. It wasn't - we scored a legitimate goal that their defence could do nothing about, only an incompetent linesman kept their clean sheet record, it was nothing to do with their defending.

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-12-2017, 09:14 AM

The one thing that did really bug me about the coverage last night was the fawning over Hearts' defensive record, like their defence was responsible for the clean sheet yesterday. It wasn't - we scored a legitimate goal that their defence could do nothing about, only an incompetent linesman kept their clean sheet record, it was nothing to do with their defending.

2 things bugged me about it - the one you describe above and making a big deal about the Stevenson handball incident as if It cancelled out our claim to be hard done by.

The only reason the Hearts defence was so good is that they defended in numbers making it next to impossible to break down. Any ****ty pub team can do that to good effect as we saw last year in the championship.

hibbydog
28-12-2017, 09:18 AM
No problem with Tom English’s points.

We definitely should have had a goal awarded. Hearts maybe should have had a penalty. Maybe.

Aside from that, Hearts can play whatever tactics they want. The long and short of it is we weren’t good enough second half to break them down.

Yes, we deserved to win the game but this taking the moral high ground because we played ‘nicer’ football in a derby is getting a bit tiresome.

-Jonesy-
28-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Everything you need to know about the difference between the two sides can be seen on the sky coverage of the replay when walker got his booking.
SJM hussles a yam off the ball just outside his own box, after turning fatty Isma steams in with a challenge over the ball and crunches down on top of McGinns foot. Super John visibly screams in pain but stays on his feet and trucks forward. Driving ahead 40/50 yards while ghosting past a couple players he makes a pass only for the gutless walker to come in well after the ball has been played and stamp down on the same left peg as Isma. Super John goes down but gets straight back up to take the free kick.
Walker was lucky to stay on the park even in the first half after that yellow. I remember in the second he went clean through the back of Stevenson and led with the arm against Boyle late on, both of which were called as fouls but not worthy of a second yellow according to McLean. He also took a blatant dive in a 50/50 with Bartley when the big man got the first touch and Walker threw his arms up and hit the deck when there was half a foot of clean air between them. Again McLean was looking right at it but for some reason waved play on.

Hibs, like SJMare tenacious and gritty with real ability at times, hearts, like Walker, are sleekit cowards who's only real strength is an ability to out "gamesmanship" their opponents. The fact that their humunculous captain plays with a mouthguard in says it all really.

**** the hearts, GGTTH

PatHead
28-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Don’t think it has to do with nicer football. Purely we are better than them. They had 0 shots on goal. Made no attempt to get forward in the first half and were happy with that. We try to win games but just struggle to get the ball in the net.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 10:01 AM

The one thing that did really bug me about the coverage last night was the fawning over Hearts' defensive record, like their defence was responsible for the clean sheet yesterday. It wasn't - we scored a legitimate goal that their defence could do nothing about, only an incompetent linesman kept their clean sheet record, it was nothing to do with their defending.There defence wasn't under the pressure it could have been, they generally break up attacks / promising moves earlier in the move by deliberately fouling and blocking further up field before the threat develops then take their chances defending a free kick if it's given.

It's in the Potter manual.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

matty_f
28-12-2017, 10:08 AM
There defence wasn't under the pressure it could have been, they generally break up attacks / promising moves earlier in the move by deliberately fouling and blocking further up field before the threat develops then take their chances defending a free kick if it's given.

It's in the Potter manual.

You're right, that's exactly what they do. Total anti-football tactics.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 10:17 AM
You're right, that's exactly what they do. Total anti-football tactics.Was watching it with an Arsenal fan last night and he couldn't believe how negative the yam were and what they got away with.

matty_f
28-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Was watching it with an Arsenal fan last night and he couldn't believe how negative the yam were and what they got away with.

The irony is that when they came out in the second half and tried to play the ball more than concentrating on kicking us, they actually did alright.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 10:22 AM
The irony is that when they came out in the second half and tried to play the ball more than concentrating on kicking us, they actually did alright.Agree with that but I think Potter was actually afraid to have a go in case we picked them off, on another day we probably will but I remain slightly concerned about our failure to kill inferior teams off when we're on top.

The disallowed goal aside we still should have been out of sight in the first half.

CRAZYHIBBY
28-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Hearts just seem to punt the ball into the air all the time

matty_f
28-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Agree with that but I think Potter was actually afraid to have a go in case we picked them off, on another day we probably will but I remain slightly concerned about our failure to kill inferior teams off when we're on top.

The disallowed goal aside we still should have been out of sight in the first half.

I think that's the most frustrating part of the goal being disallowed, we were on top and scored which would have forced Hearts to come and attack to get back in the game.

There's not much more we can do than put the ball over the line - that we didn't get the goal wasn't a failing on Hibs' part, it was the officials.

BoomtownHibees
28-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Hearts just seem to punt the ball into the air all the time

Love how the goalie gets the full backs to come in short for the ball (Barcelona esq), who then keep possession by rolling it in to Berra and then HOOF. Kicks it as far up the park as he can

Viva_Palmeiras
28-12-2017, 10:37 AM
I was unable to watch all the game last night so I’m relying on the 15/20 minutes I did see, radio coverage, highlights, Hibs.net and news reports to make my points: Hearts are the epitome of the term ‘spoilers’. Their tactics of hoofing, leaving the boot in and breaking up the opposition’s attack by fouling is anti-football. Who TF would want to watch that week in week out? I generally find Tom English’s comments (and articles) insightful and well thought out..until it comes to Hearts! I thought he slavered a lot of pish about Hearts’ solid, combative approach and how Lennon was hyping Hibs’ performance too much. His reason? We didn’t break the Hearts defence down enough in the second half. Forgive me but, surely, Hearts were the in-form team, playing at home, not lost a goal in 4 games, unbeaten since returning to Tynie, playing against a team with indifferent recent form and had hammered the champions elect 4 nowt last time out. Is it not their job to come out and sweep us aside by dominating play and attacking at every opportunity? Maybe I’m not picking but, In his BBC match report, he also alluded that not giving the ‘penalty’ (which never was) was as bad a mistake as not allowing the goal!
Apologies for length of post😁

I like Tom. He’s more of a rugby man - so more suited to an agricultural approach favoured by Hearts. As for Andy Walkers constant referral to the tackle on Barker as being clean the boy needs his head examined.

Betty Boop
28-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Tom English is an apologist for all things Hertz, and his fawning over Ann Budge is sickening. He's an erse.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Not sure why being denied an opportunity to score a goal is the same as being denied a valid goal. Hearts haven't been conceding but I would wait until that high line is tested on a surface that you can pass the ball on before making any statements.

Spike Mandela
28-12-2017, 12:00 PM
The length to which some of the ‘Hearts friendly’ media is going to, to excuse the linesman’s ‘error’ is frankly embarassing. :rolleyes:

Special mention to Neil McCann in this regard and I will look forward to his philosophical approach next time Dundee are denied a blatant decision, hopefully against us..:cb

Geo_1875
28-12-2017, 01:53 PM
His match report on the BBC website gave the impression that it was a game between 2 evenly matched teams which could have gone either way.

It should have read "Hibs weren't great but were denied a perfectly valid goal by inept officials. Hearts were ****ing dire, didn't have a shot on target, kept passing the ball to row 18 and the fans must be wishing they weren't dug*****."

C Feeney-Seale
29-12-2017, 08:01 PM
You're right, that's exactly what they do. Total anti-football tactics.

Absolute thugs. I hope we have a stronger ref for the cup game