PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 27 December)

Jonnyboy
27-12-2017, 10:58 PM
I guess I’m like any other Hibs fan when it comes to matches against Hearts in that I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love it when we win and hate it when we lose but tonight, as I approached the revamped Wongadome for the first time I was confident we’d get a result. As I expected, Barker dropped out and was replaced by Bartley, the only change from the Ross County starting eleven. Taking my seat in the dilapidated Roseburn Stand I saw for myself the horrendous playing surface and immediately felt sorry for our guys as running with the ball and passing it along the ground would be well-nigh impossible and so it proved to be for the most part.

Ahead of kick off I watched with interest as the players went through their warm up exercises and had a wee smile to myself when the coaches had a chat and decided that for the shooting in practice they’d use the actual goals instead of the set off to the side of the pitch. The Hearts groundsman was not amused. Presumably he wasn’t at Easter Road when Hearts pulled exactly the same trick.

The Hibs end was filling nicely, as was the new super duper megastructure of their new single tier, main stand. I call it the main stand despite the fact that the players would enter the field of play from the opposite stand and like at Dumbarton the coaches, physio’s etc., would need to trudge across the pitch to the dugouts. I also clocked the position of the press/media area which, quite frankly, is a joke as it is far too low down. Finally, I looked along to the big green box that caused some fans to buy tickets with a restricted view and frankly, Hearts have a cheek selling tickets for them. I was sitting slap bang in the centre, behind the goals in row 10, which is the second one up from the walkway and I too had a restricted view due to the railings which restricted a clear view of the goals.

In terms of the game I thought Hibs started very brightly whilst Hearts played according to Levein’s script by hoofing the ball forward. To be fair, hoofing the ball was the second option with the first being to make sure they clattered into Hibs players, McGinn in particular, at every opportunity. On the front foot, Hibs scored a perfectly good goal after seven minutes when McGinn fed Boyle on the right. Boyler crossed low into the box and the alert Oli Shaw got in front of Souttar to fire the ball towards goal. The ball struck the underside of the bar and bounced down inside the net before the spin sent it back into the arms of the Hearts keeper. For the second time in recent memory, a goal against Hearts had not been given due to inept decisions by the officials. It’s hard to understand why the assistant referee didn’t see it but then it was also hard to see why Raymond Whyte, the referee’s assistant missed the Sparky one some time ago.

We were then ‘treated’ to a series of fouls against Hibs players with Lafferty, Walker and Milinkovic all booked before half time. It has to be said that Walker was a very lucky boy because just minutes after being booked he then committed an even worse foul on a Hibs player but Steven McLean failed to punish it with the card it deserved.

Time and again as Hibs broke forward, Boyle and Stokes were guilty of being caught offside. There must have been seven or eight occasions when that happened and Boyle in particular disappointed because had he held the line he had the pace to beat both Berra and Souttar. Neil Lennon switched Boyle to the left after noticing what was pretty obvious from the off in that their right back, Randall looked overweight, unfit, slow and cumbersome. As half time approached I thought that any Hibs fan casting their eye at the other three stands would see a sea of Adam’s apples as the locals looked skywards hoping the ball might fall to one of their players.

Shortly after the restart, Efe was skinned by Walker down the left and his ball into the middle witnessed a real sclaff by Lafferty who screwed the ball a mile wide causing howls of disappointment from the home support. On the subject of Walker and the home support it was quite comforting to watch Walker, Hearts’ biggest sellable asset at a massive £300k, be pretty ineffective throughout. The home support, in the supposed cauldron of noise we are told that Tynecastle is, were largely quiet throughout, the loudest noise coming when a Hibs player made a mistake.

The second half didn’t really match up to the first with constant breaks in play following fouls and numerous visits onto the pitch by both physio’s. It has to be said the Hibs man was the busiest as Hearts continued to clatter into Hibs players, mostly without punishment by the referee. A case in point was the injury to Barker who was tackled aggressively and though the Hearts man got the ball he also followed through on the man, leaving the Hibs player in a heap on the grass and after struggling on for a few minutes caused him to have to be replaced.

With about ten minutes left I thought we’d won it when McLaughlin diverted a cross towards Hanlon but sadly Paul could not adjust his body shape in time to score yet another vital goal at Tynecastle. Near the end the home fans screamed for a penalty when they felt Lewis had used an arm in the box but it was at the other end from me so I’ve no idea if it was justified.

The players

Rocky – was largely redundant although he did flap at one cross in the second half when catching the ball looked to be the easier choice.

Efe – much better than against Ross County and only really got caught out the once when Walker skinned him.

Daz – handled the ‘physicality’ of Lafferty very well and rarely lost a challenge in the air.

Paul – solid as ever, I feel his partnership with Daz is excellent. Paul’s reading of the game allows him to mop up, should Daz be guilty of any slack play.

Lewis – another fine performance from Lewis and I feared for him when he was scythed down in a challenge that went unpunished. Lewis rarely stays down and when he did I thought the injury might be quite serious.

Boyler – had the beating of the Hearts left back but annoyingly kept going too soon for the ball over the top. His square ball to Shaw for the ‘goal’ was spot on. Took a battering and eventually limped off in the second half.

Dylan – started the game very well and showed throughout that the physical stuff doesn’t bother him anymore. Has this fantastic ability to nick the ball off the toes of opponents and his all-round display tonight earns him my man of the match award.

Marv – plays a role that rarely gets noticed but does it very well. There was no way a physical Hearts side was ever going to faze him and given some of the challenges by Hearts players I thought Marv was very unlucky to be booked for a pretty innocuous challenge.

SJM – the laddie took some terrible punishment tonight but he just kept getting up and getting on with it. Hearts had three men on him at times and had he been just a little quicker releasing the ball he could have set a team mate free.

Stokesy – I had hoped that he’d turn in a performance like the one at Ross County and although he didn’t do a lot wrong, he didn’t quite shine at any time.

Oli – I’m told Berra got man of the match from the Hearts mob but to me he struggled with Oli, especially in the first half when the youngster did very well taking the ball in and bringing other players into the game. Was robbed of a famous goal.

Simon – ran about a lot but little else of note. Needs to get himself in the box more often, like he did in his earlier games for Hibs.

Brandon – clearly seen as a threat by the Hearts hammer throwers as he lasted only twelve minutes before being clattered and had to be replaced.

Big Dave – never thought I’d see big Dave tonight and for what it’s worth I thought he did ok in winning headers but sadly neither Murray nor Stokes anticipated him winning it and failed to move into a position to receive the ball.

The ref – has to accept responsibility along with his assistant for missing a goal that should have stood. Also I felt he was far too lenient on ‘elbows’ Lafferty and especially Walker who should have seen red.

Neil – was quick to come to applaud the fans and hold up ten fingers, confirming that for the next Derby we can sing ‘Here we go, ten in a row.’ Didn’t hear his after match interview but I’ll bet he was raging about the ‘goal’ and rightly so.

A final thought – I’ve witnessed many Derby matches over the years and I have to say that is one of the worst Hearts teams I’ve ever seen. They offer nothing, except physicality and I sincerely hope the next time we meet them, in the Cup, we give them a hiding.

Booked4Being-Ugly
27-12-2017, 11:21 PM
You’re right about Marv, wasn’t even a foul let alone a yellow card!

The Stevenson penalty incident - it did hit his arm but was never a penalty.

NL’s interview was great, correctly said the goal not given was a disgrace.

CMurdoch
27-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Good write up again.
Re the injuries to Boyle and Barker, IMO no foul play involved.

Boyle landed awkwardly after challenging a Hearts player. Seemed to go over on his ankle and opening the ligaments. Painful and a good chance he will be out for the next game.
Barker was collateral damage after a strong tackle by Souter. Taken by surprise before he looked up after taking a pass. Saw a replay and couldn't work out how he was so badly hurt. Hopefully just bruising.

HibernianJK
27-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Rocky could have caught the cross in the second half but he certainly didn’t flap at it. Got quite a solid punch to it.

A good summation although I will add the Souttar challenge on Barker was a good tackle and one we don’t see too much these days. Sometimes players get hurt in good challenges.

Jack Hackett
27-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Good write up again.

Boyle landed awkwardly after challenging a Hearts player. Seemed to go over on his ankle and opening the ligaments. Painful and a good chance he will be out for the next game.
Barker was collateral damage after a strong tackle by Souter. Taken by surprise before he looked up after taking a pass. Saw a replay and couldn't work out how he was so badly hurt. Hopefully just bruising.

Looked to me like he took a right sore one on the inside of his left knee

Great match report Jb, with a telling account of the state of the place :aok:

Joke ground joke team joke fans. Brutalism in all its glory.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Agreed I have only seen the tackle on Barker once, live at the time, and I thought it was a good tackle. I don't think there's any blame to be given to anyone for his injury.

Which was surprising considering the countless other fouls they committed during the game.

Tornadoes70
27-12-2017, 11:35 PM
As accurate a match report you'll ever read. Superb summary.

:top marks

Pedantic_Hibee
28-12-2017, 12:21 AM
You were definitely watching the same game as me, Jonnyboy.

Deeds
28-12-2017, 01:37 AM
No-one wants to be the guy that makes the mistake that loses the Derby that’s why the game is **** from 60 min onwards...we don’t have enough players who think ‘ I could win this for us’....it’s all about not losing now

Allant1981
28-12-2017, 06:09 AM
marciano decided to punch that cross, certainly didnt look like he flapped at it but i had the benefit of seeing it on tv and not from a distance in the stand

greenlex
28-12-2017, 06:48 AM
A sea of Adam’s apples. 😂😂😂
Good summary as usual. It’s pen. Arm by his side. If anything he was trying to get his arm out the way. Ball to hand for sure. The fact Sky Or Levien didn’t mention it after the game should give you an indication of what it actually was. Nothing.

NAE NOOKIE
28-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Marciano ....... 6 ...... Rarely tested, most of that score is just for turning up.

Ambrose ...... 7 ...... I thought for the most part he did his job well with a couple of excellent moments.

Hanlon ...... 7 ..... In control at the back and dealt well with most of the stuff that came his way.

McGregor .... 7 ..... Won practically everything he competed for and won a number of headers in our box.

Stevenson ..... 7 ..... Has been in good form lately and continued that at the PBS

McGeouch .... 8 ..... All over the place picking up and laying off the ball, especially in the first half, the best player on the pitch.

Bartley ..... 7 ..... If he was a darts player he would be Marvin 'the derby' Bartley, has he ever had a bad game in this fixture?

McGinn ...... 7 ..... Took his usual kicking whenever we play that lot, but as usual he just kept going .. made poor choices a few times when he tried to beat one man too many, but what a battler he is.

Boyle ..... 6 ..... Its tough for a winger to be as effective with no room to play in, but he needed to time his runs better, not far away with a decent shot.

Stokes .... 6 .... His application was good for 70 minutes, but he dropped out of the game as it wore on and wasted a decent opportunity to set up a break near the end.

Shaw .... 6 ..... If he had continued his first half performance where his hold up play was excellent, into the second he would have got an 8 but he seemed to tire a bit, which is no real surprise given it was only his second start in the Premiership. Robbed of a perfectly good goal, he must be gutted.

SUBS

Murray .... 5 .... Did ok and had one reasonable effort on goal, just needs to add that wee bit of guile to his game.

Barker .... 4 ..... I thought bringing him on in the 2nd half would be our ace in the hole, but he didn't get a chance to show it after a hefty, but fair IMO, challenge put him out the game.

Big Dave ..... 5 ..... He won a few headers in the time he was on but nobody was close enough to win the 2nd ball.

This was a game where collectively our defence played very well, as witness Rocky having nothing to save, and our midfield ran the show for the most part .... unfortunately our forwards couldn't get to grips with the offside trap, though we did get the ball in the net of course. Put in the same performance in the cup game and get officials who can see properly and the worst we will do is bring them back to Easter Road.

A moral victory for us this one .... in a drawn derby the away team always has to be the more satisfied with the result, if gutted that the officials not for the first time in the last few years robbed us of victory. Still, 9 and counting :greengrin

hibsbollah
28-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Marciano ....... 6 ...... Rarely tested, most of that score is just for turning up.

Ambrose ...... 7 ...... I thought for the most part he did his job well with a couple of excellent moments.

Hanlon ...... 7 ..... In control at the back and dealt well with most of the stuff that came his way.

McGregor .... 7 ..... Won practically everything he competed for and won a number of headers in our box.

Stevenson ..... 7 ..... Has been in good form lately and continued that at the PBS

McGeouch .... 8 ..... All over the place picking up and laying off the ball, especially in the first half, the best player on the pitch.

Bartley ..... 7 ..... If he was a darts player he would be Marvin 'the derby' Bartley, has he ever had a bad game in this fixture?

McGinn ...... 7 ..... Took his usual kicking whenever we play that lot, but as usual he just kept going .. made poor choices a few times when he tried to beat one man too many, but what a battler he is.

Boyle ..... 6 ..... Its tough for a winger to be as effective with no room to play in, but he needed to time his runs better, not far away with a decent shot.

Stokes .... 6 .... His application was good for 70 minutes, but he dropped out of the game as it wore on and wasted a decent opportunity to set up a break near the end.

Shaw .... 6 ..... If he had continued his first half performance where his hold up play was excellent, into the second he would have got an 8 but he seemed to tire a bit, which is no real surprise given it was only his second start in the Premiership. Robbed of a perfectly good goal, he must be gutted.

SUBS

Murray .... 5 .... Did ok and had one reasonable effort on goal, just needs to add that wee bit of guile to his game.

Barker .... 4 ..... I thought bringing him on in the 2nd half would be our ace in the hole, but he didn't get a chance to show it after a hefty, but fair IMO, challenge put him out the game.

Big Dave ..... 5 ..... He won a few headers in the time he was on but nobody was close enough to win the 2nd ball.

This was a game where collectively our defence played very well, as witness Rocky having nothing to save, and our midfield ran the show for the most part .... unfortunately our forwards couldn't get to grips with the offside trap, though we did get the ball in the net of course. Put in the same performance in the cup game and get officials who can see properly and the worst we will do is bring them back to Easter Road.

A moral victory for us this one .... in a drawn derby the away team always has to be the more satisfied with the result, if gutted that the officials not for the first time in the last few years robbed us of victory. Still, 9 and counting :greengrin

Agree with most of that... I thought Stokesy was disappointing last night, a lot of our moves ended with him taking a poor touch or holding on to it too long.

SideBurns
28-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Thanks for that John - clearly, you weren't in the Rosie for 1.30 if you were able to pen such an articulate post-match report! I agree with most of what you say, but as one of the unfortunate majority unable to get a ticket I can give my TV perspective, particularly to the main incidents which occurred at the other end of the ground,

The goal - I thought it was in at the time and jumped up to celebrate. The replay shot clearly shows it as over the line, and had that been the view the linesman possessed then he would have been cheating. However, another camera angle gives the linesman's position and his view is either partially or wholly obscured by the Hearts player at the near post. It would've been almost impossible for him to see whether the ball had crossed the line or not. Of course, you could argue that he wasn't up with play, which would be a legitimate criticism.

The penalty - yes, the ball hit Lewis's hand but his arm was at his side, he was trying to pull it away, and had he managed to avoid touching it then it would have run harmlessly out for a goal kick. Never a penalty in yer puff.

The tackle on Barker - Brandon didn't manage to get up a head of steam and had knocked the ball a bit too far ahead of himself. It was just inviting the challenge Souttar put in and, in my opinion, it was a beauty. He won the ball cleanly and there was no follow through, it was the natural strength of the tackle which put Barker up in the air. If big Daz had clattered Walker in a similar fashion at the other end, we'd all be talking about it in glowing terms!

Sammy7nil
28-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Yip good write up

Billy Whizz
28-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Great report as always John
Dominated the 1st half, and if Oli’s goal had stood, we’d have gone on and won more comfortably
Think I said on another thread Dylan was wasted on the right, particularly in the 2nd half, he’s the man who makes us tick. Saw Lennon telling the players to slow down, and not rush the passes, which we did.
I thought at 1st the pitch looked ok, but players were finding it difficult to control the ball, was sliding off them
Thought Paul Hanlon was rock solid in defence, and he was my man of the match
Thinking back to the game, also good not to lose at Tynie, but it’s 2 points dropped, as they aren’t a good side

Be interesting to see what the line ups are in 3 weeks time

Jonnyboy
28-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Good write up again.

Re Barker - I guess I might be guilty of including that tackle with the dozens of others that went before :greengrin

Rocky could have caught the cross in the second half but he certainly didn’t flap at it. Got quite a solid punch to it.

A good summation although I will add the Souttar challenge on Barker was a good tackle and one we don’t see too much these days. Sometimes players get hurt in good challenges.

Yep, saying Rocky flapped was unfair as you're right, he did decide to punch the ball. I thought at the time he should and could have just caught it though :agree:

Bostonhibby
28-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Good summary again, thanks. Had a right good laugh at the picture you paint with your description of the maroon balloons and their car crash of a ground.☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
28-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Great summary as always JB. I keep reading that our forward line was making their runs too early but don't agree with that, their runs were well synchronised with each other and it looked to me that the final pass came too late rather than Stokes, Boyle and Shaw starting their runs too early.

P.S. Can we call our forward line the SBS?

Jonnyboy
28-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Great summary as always JB. I keep reading that our forward line was making their runs too early but don't agree with that, their runs were well synchronised with each other and it looked to me that the final pass came too late rather than Stokes, Boyle and Shaw starting their runs too early.

P.S. Can we call our forward line the SBS?

Yep, that was the case a few times, you're right :agree: