PDA

View Full Version : Shambles at the turnstiles

Winston Ingram
27-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Wtf was all that about? The queues outside were massive and you were effectively queueing to be hearded into a pen and then funnelled into 6 turnstiles.

There was a crush leading up to the pen and in it. There was a blond girl crying after she got through because the crush was so bad.

The police were even apologising and say the entrance there needed to change.

http://img187.imagevenue.com/loc554/th_15567_56C79A21_2175_4206_9F2E_B752CF68E8F3_122_ 554lo.jpeg (http://img187.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15567_56C79A21_2175_4206_9F2E_B752CF 68E8F3_122_554lo.jpeg)http://img280.imagevenue.com/loc33/th_15571_5D839871_CE01_4811_A1E8_26A54D2D0604_122_ 33lo.jpeg (http://img280.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15571_5D839871_CE01_4811_A1E8_26A54D 2D0604_122_33lo.jpeg)http://img296.imagevenue.com/loc380/th_15575_9EA8C096_CBC1_479A_A8A3_E52FBC7BB6D1_122_ 380lo.jpeg (http://img296.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15575_9EA8C096_CBC1_479A_A8A3_E52FBC 7BB6D1_122_380lo.jpeg)

GlesgaeHibby
27-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Wtf was all that about? The queues outside were massive and you were effectively queueing to be hearded into a pen and then funnelled into 6 turnstiles.

There was a crush leading up to the pen and in it. There was a blond girl crying after she got through because the crush was so bad.

The police were even apologising and say the entrance there needed to change.

http://img187.imagevenue.com/loc554/th_15567_56C79A21_2175_4206_9F2E_B752CF68E8F3_122_ 554lo.jpeg (http://img187.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15567_56C79A21_2175_4206_9F2E_B752CF 68E8F3_122_554lo.jpeg)http://img280.imagevenue.com/loc33/th_15571_5D839871_CE01_4811_A1E8_26A54D2D0604_122_ 33lo.jpeg (http://img280.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15571_5D839871_CE01_4811_A1E8_26A54D 2D0604_122_33lo.jpeg)http://img296.imagevenue.com/loc380/th_15575_9EA8C096_CBC1_479A_A8A3_E52FBC7BB6D1_122_ 380lo.jpeg (http://img296.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15575_9EA8C096_CBC1_479A_A8A3_E52FBC 7BB6D1_122_380lo.jpeg)

The police and council should hang their heads in shame signing that off. Utter shambles. Arrived at tynie at 1915 and didn't get in until 5 mins after kick off. 3500 fans funnelled through 6 turnstiles in a porta cabin. Easily room for a other 6 which would solve all problems

fat freddy
27-12-2017, 10:01 PM
An accident waiting to happen, as each batch of fans were herded in there was a surge from behind which caused many to walk into bollards placed in the pavement.
I cant see the purpose of these bollards as they aren't visible until you actually walk into them.
On another note, the outside of their new stand is still a building site! I read that everything was finished apart from the seats in September

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I arrived at 7.20, and it was chaos, spoke to a PC who was surprisingly honest that the decision by Hearts FC to only have 6 turnstiles was ridiculous, and was creating a problem that had never been there in previous years.

3pm
27-12-2017, 10:08 PM
That was a shambles tonight.

It’s poorly organised for away fans.

staunchhibby
27-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Something must be done about that shambles tonight.A disgrace with limited amount of turnstiles in operation.Hold your heads in shame Heart of Midlothian.A disaster waiting to happen.

overdrive
27-12-2017, 10:23 PM
The police and council should hang their heads in shame signing that off. Utter shambles. Arrived at tynie at 1915 and didn't get in until 5 mins after kick off. 3500 fans funnelled through 6 turnstiles in a porta cabin. Easily room for a other 6 which would solve all problems

The police have already stated Tinycastle is a death trap.

dp00
27-12-2017, 10:25 PM
No lights in there turnstiles either ... joke of a stadium... I don’t understand why they need access to main stand from there ? Surely it’s just asking for something to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
27-12-2017, 10:32 PM
No lights in there turnstiles either ... joke of a stadium... I don’t understand why they need access to main stand from there ? Surely it’s just asking for something to happen

The no lights was a problem too. Didn't know whether to scan the ticket or if there was an attendant sitting waiting to take my ticket. One long queue away down the road. Nightmare.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2017, 10:33 PM
I arrived at 7.20, and it was chaos, spoke to a PC who was surprisingly honest that the decision by Hearts FC to only have 6 turnstiles was ridiculous, and was creating a problem that had never been there in previous years.

How many do we have in the South?

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Then when you get in, some of the food kiosks aren't open.
Utter shambles of a place.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 10:37 PM
How many do we have in the South?

I don't think it's very many to be honest, but people aren't shoehorned into one narrow queue, to be let into a pen, to then have a free-for-all (in the dark) to get through them.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't think it's very many to be honest, but people aren't shoehorned into one narrow queue, to be let into a pen, to then have a free-for-all (in the dark) to get through them.

I was only asking, not trying to be controversial
The strange thing is, when you go through the turnstiles, the steps to their main stand are to the left
What is that all about, and how come they are at the away teams end?

tamig
27-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Wouldn’t give them a penny more than I have to tbh. They should shut all their kiosks as far as I’m concerned.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 10:44 PM
The strange thing is, when you go through the turnstiles, the steps to their main stand are to the left

Agreed, pointless set of steps that can never be used.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Agreed, pointless set of steps that can never be used.

Unless it’s an emergency exit

CraigHibee
27-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Got there just after 7 and got in fine but it is a joke that they don't have more turnstiles available especially when situations like this arise

Sprouleflyer
27-12-2017, 10:49 PM
We are back there in January, expect the same.

tamig
27-12-2017, 10:50 PM

Which it is.

27-12-2017, 10:50 PM
How many do we have in the South?It will be the same as the FF Stand - so 8 turnstiles.£15m spent on circa 7000 seats (including the restricted ones!). They can't organise a p*** up in a brewery!Council need to step in and get this place sorted before someone is seriously injured on that building site.

vuefrom1875
27-12-2017, 10:51 PM

Well, our tramp loving city council bends over backwards grants them anything under the sun, one day they will be culpable.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Which it is.

That’s very important, do we have anything like this in our stands though

SuperAllyMcleod
27-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Food kiosks? Why are you giving them extra money through their kiosks?

The ideal scenario is 3,000+ Hibbies turning up and not spending anything at the kiosks - think how much that will cost them in pies going to waste [emoji4]

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 10:59 PM

The ideal scenario is 3,000+ Hibbies turning up and not spending anything at the kiosks - think how much that will cost them in pies going to waste [emoji4]

Wouldn't spend a penny myself, but others do, and were understandably unhappy at having to queue longer at half time due them only opening some of them.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 11:01 PM

And who else would think it a good idea for an emergency exit to lead both sets of supporters towards each other.

tamig
27-12-2017, 11:07 PM
That’s very important, do we have anything like this in our stands though

We have properly designed stands with emergency exits which all funnel out into their own areas. Their main stand and Roseburn exits merge together and into one area. Green ginger has mentioned this a lot on the new stand thread. The exits gates look like they could struggle to cope if an emergency exit was required.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2017, 11:12 PM
We have properly designed stands with emergency exits which all funnel out into their own areas. Their main stand and Roseburn exits merge together and into one area. Green ginger has mentioned this a lot on the new stand thread. The exits gates look like they could struggle to cope if an emergency exit was required.

Thanks, Greenginger has pointed its deficiencies, but it’s not until you see it for yourself, you see their problems
Hearts real problem is a lack of land around their stands

27-12-2017, 11:29 PM
And who else would think it a good idea for an emergency exit to lead both sets of supporters towards each other.Obviously the escalators are no good in an emergency then! So poorly thought out. Just can't believe the council are allowing them to use Tinycastle in this condition. So glad we had someone who knew what he was doing when planning Easter Road. Result, a stadium that ticks all the compliance boxes. Delivered on time and at a fraction of the price of Tinycastle...... Oh, and of course Easter Road is bigger. Also don't recall us ever having to rent someone else's stadium while we developed our own.

GreenCastle
28-12-2017, 07:25 AM

All jokes / banter aside if fans ever did have to use be emergency exits it would be carnage as opposition fans and Home fans would clash.

Now you could say would this happen in a serious emergency possibly not but having sat in other areas of the ground for semi finals the exit system is terribly designed - steep steps heading down from each stand - if people panicked there could easily be a crush.

The stadium doesn’t have power for the lights outside the main stand.

6 turnstiles for the away end is basically just the cheap option.

Libby Hibby
28-12-2017, 07:32 AM
All jokes / banter aside if fans ever did have to use be emergency exits it would be carnage as opposition fans and Home fans would clash.

Now you could say would this happen in a serious emergency possibly not but having sat in other areas of the ground for semi finals the exit system is terribly designed - steep steps heading down from each stand - if people panicked there could easily be a crush.

There is no doubt that the stadiums Fire Strategy is questionable but as long as the full stadium can fully evacuate in 8 minutes then it will comply.Assuming that all the fire corridors / fire stairs, emergency lights and fire alarms are fully compliant and operational.

GlesgaeHibby
28-12-2017, 07:52 AM

A joke when more are only really needed for CAT A games, where fans are paying £30 to be there. Only that tinpot club could get away with setting up 6 turnstiles in a shed, accessed via a pitch dark pen. There were more turnstiles for getting into the Roseburn when they had the old main stand.

B.H.F.C
28-12-2017, 07:56 AM
The turnstiles for entering the Roseburn seem to have been randomly plonked in no mans land.

As others have said, the design is shocking.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 08:30 AM
That stadium is a disgrace.

No outside lighting in a very confined area for queuing. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Roxyhibee
28-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Receiving texts this morning from guys at the game last night saying it was shambolic and scary for a lot of people penned in.

I would advise anyone caught up in that last night to contact the appropriate Council dept or Police to register what they experienced and witnessed.

Clearly something wrong when people use phrases associated with the dark days of crushing and lack of control. Should not be happening in 2017.

staunchhibby
28-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Have e-mailed hearts re the shambles so watch this space.

hibbyfraelibby
28-12-2017, 09:40 AM

...and watch and watch and watch.

calumhibee1
28-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Because they seem to think it’s a good thing that you can walk around their whole stadium. People in the stand opposite the main stand can in theory walk right into the main stand by walking through the connecting areas. Very strange and I would have thought unsafe as you’ll not have a clue how many folk are actually in each stand.

Carheenlea
28-12-2017, 09:45 AM

I'd be contacting Hibs, the police and the council before then sending email to Hearts to be honest. Can't see them doing anything about it on the back of an email sent by a Hibs fan, but under pressure from others in authority might see some action taken to improve the turnstile organisation.

Roxyhibee
28-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I'd be contacting Hibs, the police and the council before then sending email to Hearts to be honest. Can't see them doing anything about it on the back of an email sent by a Hibs fan, but under pressure from others in authority might see some action taken to improve the turnstile organisation.

I would advise as many as possible who experienced this last night to do the same.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Posted this on the PM board but it’s worth mentioning again:

The lack of any lighting was the worst part. It was very dark and the surface was uneven, a guy in front of me tripped and it started a bit of a domino effect and a couple of others nearly fell. There was a girl of about 10 who was almost inconsolable and having a full blow panic attack. The Police weren’t helping the situation by refusing to allow the crowd to move forward quickly towards the turnstiles at the front but still allowing others into the pen from McLeod Street so more and more people were being herded in to an already overcrowded space.

The solution would appear to be to have a queue on the street and then allow groups of 100 or so through in stages. That and force Hearts to install adequate lighting. It was the worst organisation I have seen for entering a stadium since Ayr away in the cup a few years back, considering one ground is a relic from the 40s whilst the other is supposed to be a modern stadium that is saying something.

I said it earlier but that stadium is a disgrace and it’s no wonder the Police have raised concerns about the flow of people. If that situation last night has happened before then it calls the whole safety certificate granting into question again. I spoke to one of the Policewomen on duty and she agree dit was a disgrace and basically said they didn’t know how to deal with it. It’s an accident waiting to happen. I would add the Hibs fans were superb and self policed well and despite a lot of people worrying about missing kick off there was very little pushing and shoving.

Jack Hackett
28-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Nah! They'd just sell them to the Homers at their next game as 'Vintage' pies and charge them double

28-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Their new stand has been nothing but shambolic, just a continuous series of **** ups and incompitance. That utter joke of a club couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Someone could have gotten badly hurt. The fact that even the police were apologising and saying its ridiculous tells you everything.

28-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Thats exactly what it is - the cheap option. Tacky, tin pot club. As I said above, the whole thing has been a complete and utter shambles from them. An absolute circus, embarrassing from a professional football club and the so called "big team".

staunchhibby
28-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Had a response from hearts.Comments have been passed on to stadium management team.

Www1875hfc
28-12-2017, 01:01 PM
I know that Leanne Dempster is aware of the situation as well . She’s probably been in touch with Hearts already and raised the issue.

iwasthere1972
28-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Had a response from hearts.Comments have been passed on to stadium management team.

They have a stadium management team. :no way:

patlowe
28-12-2017, 01:04 PM
So much wrong with that stadium. Interestingly I managed to buy a ticket for a seat that literally doesn't exist.

Kojock
28-12-2017, 01:05 PM
I know that Leanne Dempster is aware of the situation as well . She’s probably been in touch with Hearts already and raised the issue.

Leeann Dempster was in the Hibs end last night.

iwasthere1972
28-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Leeann Dempster was in the Hibs end last night.

Selfies at half time.

Also saw Kevin Thomson in the toilets pre match. One of the few, including myself, who didn't pee in the sink. Do these folk do that at home?

WoreTheGreen
28-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Selfies at half time.

Also saw Kevin Thomson in the toilets pre match. One of the few, including myself, who didn't pee in the sink. Do these folk do that at home?

Only if the wife has finished the dishes

greenginger
28-12-2017, 01:18 PM
There is no doubt that the stadiums Fire Strategy is questionable but as long as the full stadium can fully evacuate in 8 minutes then it will comply.Assuming that all the fire corridors / fire stairs, emergency lights and fire alarms are fully compliant and operational.

I still think the main problem with the exiting at that end is the width of the gates. The total width of the exit stairs from the two stands is over 24 metres and the exiting spectators have to funnel through a gate 14 metres wide.

As for entering the stadium, the planning drawings and the crowd entry calculations have all been done with 8 entry turnstiles at the Roseburn end and only 6 turnstiles have been installed.

Suppose savings have to be made to pay for their escalators and plazas stuff.

alihibs1
28-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Shambles. Tripped over countless kerbs because of the darkness, took me an age to find out how to work the turnstiles as there was no one there to tell you what to do. Was convinced I was gonna get mauled by a horse. Needs sorted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cabbage East
28-12-2017, 01:46 PM
It was a shambles getting in. Police were getting dogs abuse but it really wasn’t their fault. That ground isn’t safe. Anyone can see that. No idea how they’re allowed to operate.

Lago
28-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Obviously the escalators are no good in an emergency then! So poorly thought out. Just can't believe the council are allowing them to use Tinycastle in this condition. So glad we had someone who knew what he was doing when planning Easter Road. Result, a stadium that ticks all the compliance boxes. Delivered on time and at a fraction of the price of Tinycastle...... Oh, and of course Easter Road is bigger. Also don't recall us ever having to rent someone else's stadium while we developed our own.

Step forward and take a bow Rod Petrie.

Lago
28-12-2017, 01:55 PM

The lack of any lighting was the worst part. It was very dark and the surface was uneven, a guy in front of me tripped and it started a bit of a domino effect and a couple of others nearly fell. There was a girl of about 10 who was almost inconsolable and having a full blow panic attack. The Police weren’t helping the situation by refusing to allow the crowd to move forward quickly towards the turnstiles at the front but still allowing others into the pen from McLeod Street so more and more people were being herded in to an already overcrowded space.

The solution would appear to be to have a queue on the street and then allow groups of 100 or so through in stages. That and force Hearts to install adequate lighting. It was the worst organisation I have seen for entering a stadium since Ayr away in the cup a few years back, considering one ground is a relic from the 40s whilst the other is supposed to be a modern stadium that is saying something.

I said it earlier but that stadium is a disgrace and it’s no wonder the Police have raised concerns about the flow of people. If that situation last night has happened before then it calls the whole safety certificate granting into question again. I spoke to one of the Policewomen on duty and she agree dit was a disgrace and basically said they didn’t know how to deal with it. It’s an accident waiting to happen. I would add the Hibs fans were superb and self policed well and despite a lot of people worrying about missing kick off there was very little pushing and shoving.

You need to forward this appraisal to the Council & the Police asking for their response in writing.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Anyone able to provide the best email addresses to write to with complaints?

brog
28-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Hopefully our supporter reps can raise this with the Hibs board asap. We're back there next month & our board should be raising these concerns with Hearts before then. I'm sure LD will already be on the case but I would encourage as many people as possible to share these experiences formally.

dp00
28-12-2017, 02:57 PM
It would be good to hear from the support reps on this ? It’s an accident waiting to happen

where'stheslope
28-12-2017, 03:59 PM

In the event of a real emergency, would you be worried who was next to you on the way out, or just getting out?

Remember this is the same for all grounds, lets hope its never needs to be tested ever!!!

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 04:24 PM
In the event of a real emergency, would you be worried who was next to you on the way out, or just getting out?

Remember this is the same for all grounds, lets hope its never needs to be tested ever!!!

Depends on the type of emergency and circumstances, can't think of any other ground where opposing supporters would be put on a collision course with each other, down sets of steps to get through a smaller gate at the bottom together just to get to the street.

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Depends on the type of emergency and circumstances, can't think of any other ground where opposing supporters would be put on a collision course with each other, down sets of steps to get through a smaller gate at the bottom together just to get to the street.

Not a problem really, people exiting in an emergency become just that, not battling opposition supporters. Segregation not considered in emergency evacuation procedures and nor should it be.

Kavinho
28-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Not a problem really, people exiting in an emergency become just that, not battling opposition supporters. Segregation not considered in emergency evacuation procedures and nor should it be.

hmmn. Not fully convinced by that.
Whilst it might prove accurate, it might not and you’d only find out once the event had occurred.

So there’s a “risk” that some inter fan “arguments” could lead to delays when exiting in an emergency, which in turn could create a risk of further danger.

Something that should be avoided where possible for the one in a hundred thousand chance, but I Suppose the jambos had little alternative.

The Question is should this have been another one of those council turning a blind eye moments......

greenginger
28-12-2017, 04:58 PM

That narrow exit gate at the end of the exits from north of their new stand and the Roseburn stand is clearly breaking the Green Guide regs for safety at Sportsgrounds.

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/green-guide.pdf

Page 80, 10.2

" Smooth unimpeded flow through the exit route is best achieved by ensuring the exit system does not narrow along its length "

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 05:10 PM
That narrow exit gate at the end of the exits from north of their new stand and the Roseburn stand is clearly breaking the Green Guide regs for safety at Sportsgrounds.

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/green-guide.pdf

Page 80, 10.2

" Smooth unimpeded flow through the exit route is best achieved by ensuring the exit system does not narrow along its length "

Correct.

-Jonesy-
28-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Anyone able to provide the best email addresses to write to with complaints?

http://www.scotland.police.uk/contact-us/contact-us-form

BigKev
28-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Clearly a shambles last night. Go right to the Health & Safety Executive who can pull up both Hearts and the Council for their negligence.

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2017, 05:59 PM
hmmn. Not fully convinced by that.
Whilst it might prove accurate, it might not and you’d only find out once the event had occurred.

So there’s a “risk” that some inter fan “arguments” could lead to delays when exiting in an emergency, which in turn could create a risk of further danger.

Something that should be avoided where possible for the one in a hundred thousand chance, but I Suppose the jambos had little alternative.

The Question is should this have been another one of those council turning a blind eye moments......

You've answered your own question with your "one in hundred thousand chance".

Skol
28-12-2017, 06:16 PM
I was right up the back of the stand and found the journey downstairs quite treacherous. The stairs are not big enough for a human foot and I kept hitting my heel on the bag of the step and was close to stumbling over

28-12-2017, 06:27 PM

It shouldn't be but it is still a risk unfortunalty. Some drunken idiots will use any opportunity to start trouble with rival fans even in some emergency situations. Sad but unfortuantly true.

Skol
28-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Is there not a big fence that would keep fans apart ?

That said its still a horrific design as Hearts fans would exit and turn right into a stramash of people who exited to the right of you

Away fans go down treacherous metal steps that are not big enough and with a handrail obscurely set at an angle

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2017, 06:37 PM
It shouldn't be but it is still a risk unfortunalty. Some drunken idiots will use any opportunity to start trouble with rival fans even in some emergency situations. Sad but unfortuantly true.

Sorry I disagree, a real emergency situation very quickly changes folks way of thinking and rivalry is the last thing on your mind as you make your way to percieved safety. Let's not forget that it's only a very small minority in every club including ours that become mindless ****wits at a football match.

28-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Sorry I disagree, a real emergency situation very quickly changes folks way of thinking and rivalry is the last thing on your mind as you make your way to percieved safety. Let's not forget that it's only a very small minority in every club including ours that become mindless ****wits at a football match.

Hopefully you're right. I've thankfully never been in an emergency situation at a football match and hopefully I never get to find out what its like. I just know that some people, especially if they've had a lot to drink can be very stupid and selfish even in desperate situations.

Tynecastle and Hampden trips often bring out the idiot element of our support as some folk seem to think they can't possibly go unless they are absolutely wasted. Having a good drink before games is fine if you behave but unfortuantly some folk turn into absolute ********s after a few.

GreenCastle
28-12-2017, 06:48 PM
You would think they would get the basics right..

Lights
Turnstiles
Seat numbers in the correct order

The seat numbers is a simple fix surely.

I took pictures of the seats - literally 4 random numbers in a row stuck onto the seats in section H.

Shambles / Hoofball of Midlothian living up to its name

The Hibee Harp
28-12-2017, 07:08 PM
It would be good to hear from the support reps on this ? It’s an accident waiting to happen

This.

Hibs should be raising these issues with Hearts through official channels to ensure there is no repeat going forward. If there any genuine concerns for supporter safety this needs addressed and our reps need to be taking this into our boardroom. I'm not suggesting they haven't or aren't aware but clarification would be good.

Skol
28-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Anyone who was at the CS Gas game will know that an emergency situation was not initially seen as that. People needed out and this was treated as a pitch invasion. Gates not opened and police horses deployed. And this was just a matter of weeks after Hillsborough

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2017, 07:22 PM
A real emergency situation could be fighting and a pitch invasion from the away stand attacking the home support. Letting them all out using the same escape would be like fighting a fire with petrol.

Kavinho
28-12-2017, 08:37 PM
You've answered your own question with your "one in hundred thousand chance".

So you accept there’s a risk then

staunchhibby
28-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Just wondering if the fans reps are aware of last nights problems and what there thoughts are.

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2017, 09:26 PM
So you accept there’s a risk then

Of course there's a risk. Surely you realise the importance of likliehood when assessing a risk?
Throwing in scenarios like fighting to come up with an excuse to increase the risk is just silly. The main issue is evacuation of all persons not relating tbem as rival supporters. Evacuation of a stadium is not taken likely and would hardly be instigated becauseof a bit of crowd trouble.

Mr White
28-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Anyone who was at the CS Gas game will know that an emergency situation was not initially seen as that. People needed out and this was treated as a pitch invasion. Gates not opened and police horses deployed. And this was just a matter of weeks after Hillsborough

It was 18 months before Hillsborough but I think you make a good point with the rest of the post.

kaimendhibs
29-12-2017, 01:43 AM
That could have turned nasty last night. People having to q before put in a pen thru one set of gates is just not on. If there had been a surge it could have been very dangerous. Place should never have got safety certificate, someone has had a large brown envelope.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Skol
29-12-2017, 08:26 AM
It was 18 months before Hillsborough but I think you make a good point with the rest of the post.

Wow, that just shows how memory plays tricks on you.

To this day I can still recall vividly the crush against the fencing and I had to use my seven stone weakling teenage body to push back and create enough space to climb out. I was certain that I experienced this in the weeks after Hillsborough, but clearly didnt.

green day
29-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Without wishing to allow Hearts any latitude for what was a shambles the other night, I know that Hearts fans have similar complaints when accessing Easter Road - Police kettle them in Albion Road ahead of the turnstiles and let them through in batches to what is a limited number of turnstiles (although still more than their midden).

It should be said that the way Easter Road is built allows for a lot more room for manoeuvre and less chance of crushing - I guess thats what happens when they built on such a small plot.

Billy Whizz
29-12-2017, 09:12 AM
I got in the ground just after 7.10 on Wednesday, everything appeared fine.
What sort of time did the chaos start?

Blaster
29-12-2017, 09:19 AM

I got there just after 7.15 and took a good 20 mins to get in

wookie70
29-12-2017, 11:28 AM
I got there at 7.20 and the crowds were moving freely. I was waiting for a mate who pitched up at around 7.30 and by that time they had started to kettle fans. The whole situation was badly dealt with but the big problem is the lighting and number of turnstiles. Not sure the Police had too much choice as you couldn't have let everyone through to the turnstile area as that would have made a bad situation worse. There is no way that entrance is safe for a night time game in icy conditions and it is a disaster waiting to happen if there was an emergency.

lapsedhibee
29-12-2017, 11:34 AM
I got there at 7.20 and the crowds were moving freely. I was waiting for a mate who pitched up at around 7.30 and by that time they had started to kettle fans. The whole situation was badly dealt with but the big problem is the lighting and number of turnstiles. Not sure the Police had too much choice as you couldn't have let everyone through to the turnstile area as that would have made a bad situation worse. There is no way that entrance is safe for a night time game in icy conditions and it is a disaster waiting to happen if there was an emergency.

Is there no lighting fitted, or did Potter & Bodge just decide not to turn it on (to save money, keep vermin in their place, etc)?

bingo70
29-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Hibs don't need to make a big deal about this but even a wee tweet saying they are "aware of an issue for fans getting in through the turnstiles and are taking this up with Hearts", would be enough to bring attention to what sounds like could have been a serious issue.

linlithgowhibbie
29-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Not sure how it was "Badly dealt with". Are you meaning the police? I thought they handled their side of the problem really well.

I think the crowd/crush would have been harder to control if they had allowed everyone into the "pen" making large individual queues merge into a shoving mass of people.

The problems are as you say with lack of lighting and turnstyles which should have been a planning deartment prerequisite.

PS the police are not happy using their resources to oversea crowds queueing as it is seen as a Hearts problem for them to steward unless police intervention is required for public safety.(ie trouble/fights breaking out)

wookie70
29-12-2017, 01:54 PM
The badly dealt with refers to the way the entrance was set up. Dark, not enough stewards at the turnstiles which were almost in darkness and insufficient salt to clear ice. I think if the police are going to kettle fans they could do it in the street before the pen where it was lighter and less slidy. There were as many police as I have ever seen around the entrance and it might have been easier if they were telling fans what was happening. From what I saw the Police allowed the queue to flow freely as long as they could. So many fans arrived at around 7.30 that they had no choice but to use the pen. The issues with the entrance are nearly all Hearts fault. It would be interesting to hear the views of Police. They did their job getting fans in safely and in reasonable time.

Bristolhibby
29-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Any chips?

Billy Whizz
29-12-2017, 04:04 PM
The badly dealt with refers to the way the entrance was set up. Dark, not enough stewards at the turnstiles which were almost in darkness and insufficient salt to clear ice. I think if the police are going to kettle fans they could do it in the street before the pen where it was lighter and less slidy. There were as many police as I have ever seen around the entrance and it might have been easier if they were telling fans what was happening. From what I saw the Police allowed the queue to flow freely as long as they could. So many fans arrived at around 7.30 that they had no choice but to use the pen. The issues with the entrance are nearly all Hearts fault. It would be interesting to hear the views of Police. They did their job getting fans in safely and in reasonable time.

How many turnstiles less do they have now, than before. Never thought there were that many before, and the bit we walk up to, hasn’t changed
At the cup game last year, many were locked out for 15 mins, due to too many Hibs fans in the concourse, so this is not a new problem for Tynie
They need to sort out what’s causing it!

Sir David Gray
29-12-2017, 04:17 PM

I got there around 7:20-7:25 and it wasn't great at all.

Leith's finest
29-12-2017, 04:20 PM
What is the point of the exit of new stand where the steps meet up with crowd coming out the roseburn only thing separating is a fence

lord bunberry
29-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Shambles. Tripped over countless kerbs because of the darkness, took me an age to find out how to work the turnstiles as there was no one there to tell you what to do. Was convinced I was gonna get mauled by a horse. Needs sorted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Don’t worry about that fella, the last time that happened to me it was the best night of my life. She was a fine filly. :greengrin

C Feeney-Seale
29-12-2017, 07:03 PM

I couldn’t believe that either. To only have 6 police men between us and being on their ‘main’ stand seemed insane!

C Feeney-Seale
29-12-2017, 07:07 PM
How many turnstiles less do they have now, than before. Never thought there were that many before, and the bit we walk up to, hasn’t changed
At the cup game last year, many were locked out for 15 mins, due to too many Hibs fans in the concourse, so this is not a new problem for Tynie
They need to sort out what’s causing it!

I do think we need to take the atmosphere to the stage rather than the concourse quicker! I went to toilet at 7.30ish and we had more fans down there singing than in our seats!

kaimendhibs
29-12-2017, 11:50 PM
The badly dealt with refers to the way the entrance was set up. Dark, not enough stewards at the turnstiles which were almost in darkness and insufficient salt to clear ice. I think if the police are going to kettle fans they could do it in the street before the pen where it was lighter and less slidy. There were as many police as I have ever seen around the entrance and it might have been easier if they were telling fans what was happening. From what I saw the Police allowed the queue to flow freely as long as they could. So many fans arrived at around 7.30 that they had no choice but to use the pen. The issues with the entrance are nearly all Hearts fault. It would be interesting to hear the views of Police. They did their job getting fans in safely and in reasonable time.The police I spoke to were jovial enough, it wasnt them who caused the problem. It was Hearts and whoever signed that entrance off as being safe.

pacorosssco
30-12-2017, 12:26 AM
The police I spoke to were jovial enough, it wasnt them who caused the problem. It was Hearts and whoever signed that entrance off as being safe.

had same experience after few days more annoyed as police were as much to blame and they have final say not hmfc. hibs need to act on this.

staunchhibby
30-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Some of the police i spoke to while waiting to get into the pen were as pissed of as we were about the shambles

Peevemor
30-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Some of the police i spoke to while waiting to get into the pen were as pissed of as we were about the shamblesSafe, free flowing access and egress is primordial for any major public event. They were right to be concerned.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Some of the police i spoke to while waiting to get into the pen were as pissed of as we were about the shambles

Policewoman I spoke to was really angry. She said the exact same issues had been raised after the Celtic game and she couldn't believe nothing had been done in the meantime. The issues are for Hearts and those who have passed that area safe to deal with not the Police.