PDA

View Full Version : The Brandon Barker derby

Springbank
27-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Sneaky feeling this could be his best night yet in a Hibs Jersey.
mon the Hibees!:flag:

judas
27-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Sneaky feeling this could be his best night yet in a Hibs Jersey.
mon the Hibees!:flag:

I hope so, personally I am concerned about playing two wingers on a narrow pitch against a levein 'anti football' side.

Bostonhibby
27-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Could well be. My only concern is Potter will have the limited footballers like callachan under orders to injure him as early as they can.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Firestarter
27-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Bring him off the bench.

Albanian Hibs
27-12-2017, 12:06 PM
I don't think he will start as Bartley will

andybev1
27-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I hope so, personally I am concerned about playing two wingers on a narrow pitch against a levein 'anti football' side.

not to mention the tattie field of a pitch

BSEJVT
27-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Barker is coming along nicely now

But as other posters have said that narrow tattie field isn't conducive to good wing play as it will be virtually impossible to keep the ball under control

lucky
27-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Barker must start. He’s coming on to a game and will cause them problems. He’s a positive player where as Bartley is a negative player. Barker is more Hibs class

Edinburgh Green
27-12-2017, 12:20 PM
I like barker, but think he is a bit timid when it gets a bit rough, and I have a feeling levein will have them flying into tackles to get the crowd behind them.

Stuart93
27-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Barker must start. He’s coming on to a game and will cause them problems. He’s a positive player where as Bartley is a negative player. Barker is more Hibs class

So Bartley isn't hibs class cause he's a defensive midfielder? Haha.

Nicho87
27-12-2017, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't start him. Bartley is needed to cope with these brutes.

SirDavidsNapper
27-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Not sure Barker will be suited to the tight wee pitch. Be a great impact sub if we're winning and they become stretched chasing a goal

Firestarter
27-12-2017, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't start him. Bartley is needed to cope with these brutes.

Yep. People are forgetting the amount of times we had flair players and got our ***** tickled by the hatchet men under Potter.

Smartie
27-12-2017, 12:33 PM
We're going to need our full squad for this one.

Barker plays a very important role but doesn't start for me.

We get our strongest bunch of cloggers on from the start - and chuck the pace and skill of Barker on with 20-30 minutes to go.

California-Hibs
27-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Barker must start! He hurt them big time last time out and will do the same tonight. His pace is frightening! C’mon Brandon, rip them a new one!

My_Wife_Camille
27-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Some of Hearts more effective players in recent years have been wide players. Walker, Nicholson, Novikovs, Mikolaunas, Paterson, Driver off the top of my head all wide players who seem to do ok on the tight pitch. Their man of the match against Celtic was their right winger Milinkovic too.

Think people are looking a bit too much into something that isn’t there.

Jones28
27-12-2017, 01:01 PM
If I were dropping anyone it would be Mcgeouch, not quite himself at the moment and Barker is improving with every game.

lucky
27-12-2017, 01:04 PM
So Bartley isn't hibs class cause he's a defensive midfielder? Haha.

Bartley is an extremely limited footballer but has his worth but I prefer creative players not negative players. Hibs have always been about creating whilst hearts have been about stopping our teams. So Bartley is not Hibs class

500miles
27-12-2017, 01:07 PM
If we still have no fully fit right back, I'd see a back three with Bartley in front, Stevenson and Boyle fullback, McGinn and McGeough in the engine room, Stokes playing between their left back and centre half, and either Murray dragging the defence around or Shaw playing for the turning shots in the box.

Barker would thrive against a hearts defence with 20 minutes left that can't run anymore.

Smartie
27-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Bartley is an extremely limited footballer but has his worth but I prefer creative players not negative players. Hibs have always been about creating whilst hearts have been about stopping our teams. So Bartley is not Hibs class

Whoa!

It's not all about the creative stuff going forward - you need to keep the back door shut. Defending is as important in football as attacking.

Bartley has been a magnificent player for Hibs and has been our best player in our biggest games on a number of occasions.

He is most definitely "Hibs class", as his derby record will testify.

Heisenberg
27-12-2017, 01:12 PM

A man who has lifted the Scottish Cup in a Hibernian jersey is “not Hibs class”. Get out.

Sioux
27-12-2017, 01:16 PM

Weapon grade A Hole!

frazeHFC
27-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Late contender for worst post of the year.

Sioux
27-12-2017, 01:19 PM
If we still have no fully fit right back, I'd see a back three with Bartley in front, Stevenson and Boyle fullback, McGinn and McGeough in the engine room, Stokes playing between their left back and centre half, and either Murray dragging the defence around or Shaw playing for the turning shots in the box.

Barker would thrive against a hearts defence with 20 minutes left that can't run anymore.

What????

Johnny_Leith
27-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Wash your mouth out squire! Scottish cup winner, deserves much more respect for what he's achieved with Hibernian than you are giving him!

Roxyhibee
27-12-2017, 01:21 PM
It might be a gamble to play Barker on that surface in a game where football will probably come second to frantic negative tactics.

I'd prefer Marv on from the start to give SJM and Dylan more support and bring Brandon on if it seems right.

In saying that, players with his talent and pace can be a great outlet in a tight game and if he's flying, he could be the difference.

Lennon' call.

shetlandhibee
27-12-2017, 01:21 PM
If I were dropping anyone it would be Mcgeouch, not quite himself at the moment and Barker is improving with every game.
mgeouch? really IMO hes been more influential than SJM in recent games he,d be the last midfielder ide drop for today:flag:2....0 hibees

500miles
27-12-2017, 01:29 PM
What????

Deleted a few words there!

Playing back to goal, picking up fouls and trying to quickly turn and shoot when he gets the defender wrong footed.

Allant1981
27-12-2017, 01:30 PM

what a load of crap

Albanian Hibs
27-12-2017, 01:32 PM

😂😂😂 aye right

HoboHarry
27-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Ridiculous post, behave yourself.

SanFranHibs
27-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Rationale I don't understand is he will get kicked and booted by the hammer throwers, so let's keep him for the last 20 minutes or so. Even if that were true I think it more likely he would get hammered coming on late when it might be smarter to kick him around then as a late yellow and even a late red might not be catastrophic for them. They could just dig in for the last period. But maybe less likely to risk yellows and reds early on.

Of course my thinking might be ill conceived. However, I just don't think we should be designing our strategy based on the fear that they might be somewhat over enthusiastic in the tackle. And is it not the case that when we are employing these 'attacking' substitutions with 20 minutes to go it is because we are behind?

Anyway, we're going to beat them no matter who we start. Just need to take the chances we will certainly create and hopefully the defence can keep a clean sheet.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Hiber-nation
27-12-2017, 01:37 PM

I've read some pish on here over the years and that's right up there. Astonishing.

Stuart93
27-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Shut up

RoYO!
27-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Barker to start, very limited point in swinging balls into the middle with their CH's. Run at them. Show them to be slower at turning than oil tankers. Through the middle, out wide. Just get in their faces and beat a man. Any bobble we will react to faster as we have the faster feet and far more light of foot. Give them a torrid time. Draw fouls and bookings. Trust that we will score more than them. Have faith in the defence and do them.

lyonhibs
27-12-2017, 02:01 PM

This kind of romanticised claptrap is precisely why Hearts and their hachet men had our number in so many derbies until recently.

Down here on Planet Earth, Bartley is very much Hibs Class.

staunchhibby
27-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Somebody been drinking early and posted crap

TrinityHibby
27-12-2017, 02:11 PM
mgeouch? really IMO hes been more influential than SJM in recent games he,d be the last midfielder ide drop for today:flag:2....0 hibees

I think Dylan is an excellent player hence the reason he will get booted black and blue tonight 🙁

1van Sprou7e
27-12-2017, 02:16 PM

:fishin:

WhileTheChief..
27-12-2017, 02:31 PM
I think both Bartley and Barker will start.

Shaw will drop to the bench.

hibsbollah
27-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Ridiculous. He'd be the first name on my team sheet tonight.

Kato
27-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Its about balance, bud. Every great Hibernian side had a creative aspect as well as a protective one.

Marvin Bartley fully deserves every start he gets in a Hibs strip.

matty_f
27-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Bartley would be the first name on my teamsheet for tonight, he's made for games like this.

Would love it to be the Barker derby - I said before the last one that I had a feeling it would be Simon Murray's game, and he scored the winner a few minutes into the game.

I'd definitely take an early Brandon Barker goal if it was the winner. :agree:

lucky
27-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Only a few hours to find out whether Bartley starts. I hope he doesn’t but if he does I loved it if he’s scored his first goal in Hibs colours.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Bartley is limited. However the role he will be required to do tonight will be one well within his skill set. It certainly has been in the other derbies he has played in. I suggested he wasn't required in the last derby but he bossed the midfield and McGinn and McGeough had one of their best games of the season.

theonlywayisup
27-12-2017, 02:57 PM
I loved his comment on the Legends DVD about the 'chat' in the tunnel before they went onto the pitch. Something about the Hertz players trying to intimidate the Hibs players. Bartley shrugs his shoulders and says something like "whatever.............."

He has to play tonight.

Bostonhibby
27-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Ridiculous. He'd be the first name on my team sheet tonight.Sign of the times that a guy who is very good for us at the role we've had a glaring gap in for a very long time now isn't "Hibs class".

Just before a game against the dirtiest side in the league who seem to be worried about being bullied and who don't like us being able to stand up to them.

Marv's worked well in these games before and they haven't beaten us.

Get in there Marvin.

lucky
27-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Bartley is limited. However the role he will be required to do tonight will be one well within his skill set. It certainly has been in the other derbies he has played in. I suggested he wasn't required in the last derby but he bossed the midfield and McGinn and McGeough had one of their best games of the season.

Basically what I was saying without mentioning “Hibs Class”. But I’d still prefer us taking the game to them than out battling but I’d take a Hibs win away

JimBHibees
27-12-2017, 03:10 PM

A derby at tynecastle on a tattle field pitch against a Craig Levein Hearts team where they fancy their chances is exactly THE game Marvin needs to play.

RoscoHibby
27-12-2017, 03:20 PM
It's inconceivable to me that it won't be mcginn mcgeough and the Bartman in the middle...

The_Exile
27-12-2017, 03:24 PM

You can't start a game with your entire midfield as attacking minded, you'd get beat 8-0 every week. It's not the 1970's any more. Even Real and Barca start defensive mids in every single game.

Back to the game, it'll be scrappy and low scoring I think, 1-0 to us.

27-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Big player for us tonight. If he plays the way he can play he will cause them lots of bother, his pace is absolutely frightening at times.

Allant1981
27-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Basically what I was saying without mentioning “Hibs Class”. But I’d still prefer us taking the game to them than out battling but I’d take a Hibs win away

baws, thats nowhere near what you were trying to say

makaveli1875
27-12-2017, 03:42 PM
dont get the bartley is limited chat .He might not be all that skillful or have a huge range of passing but he reads the game better than anyone in our squad and his tackling is top notch

Firestarter
27-12-2017, 03:54 PM

😂😂😂😂Bartley is fantastic and legend.

Hearts are *** terrified of him too

lucky
27-12-2017, 04:24 PM
baws, thats nowhere near what you were trying to say

Now I missed it when you were appointed my interpreter. But back onto tonight’s game I’d much rather Barker than Bartley played for the reasons already given

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Now I missed it when you were appointed my interpreter. But back onto tonight’s game I’d much rather Barker than Bartley played for the reasons already given

I suspect it was your reference to Bartley not being Hibs class. Everyone has an opinion on tactics, lineups etc but that comment seemed unnecessary.

Ozyhibby
27-12-2017, 04:55 PM
I think Barker and Bartley will start tonight but we will only have one up front, probably stokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
27-12-2017, 05:03 PM
I suspect it was your reference to Bartley not being Hibs class. Everyone has an opinion on tactics, lineups etc but that comment seemed unnecessary.

Fair point, but I was meaning it in the way that Hibs were known for playing great attacking football not defensive stuff. But clearly saying anything different leads to open season. I do think some need to remember this is just a football forum not life or death situation

SaulGoodman
27-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Fair point, but I was meaning it in the way that Hibs were known for playing great attacking football not defensive stuff. But clearly saying anything different leads to open season. I do think some need to remember this is just a football forum not life or death situation

There saying something different and then there's just talking *****.

southsider
27-12-2017, 05:05 PM
In the DVD the hertz tried to abuse him by calling him 'wee man'. Marv just shrugged & said ' I didn't even know what that ment'.

Famous Fiver
27-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Re Lucky's comments.

I'll give him two names -

John McNamee, Eric Schaedler.

Two men who got stuck in.

Not Hibs class? Nah, I don't think so pal.

Opinions are fine but Lucky's is right up there with the biggest drivel ever spouted on this forum.

lucky
27-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Re Lucky's comments.

I'll give him two names -

John McNamee, Eric Schaedler.

Two men who got stuck in.

Not Hibs class? Nah, I don't think so pal.

Opinions are fine but Lucky's is right up there with the biggest drivel ever spouted on this forum.

Shades contributed going forward and got stuck in , McNamee is a bit before my time but thanks for your kind comments.

BoomtownHibees
27-12-2017, 05:29 PM

You’ve ****ed it. Better stopping now

Golden Bear
27-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Sign of the times that a guy who is very good for us at the role we've had a glaring gap in for a very long time now isn't "Hibs class".

Just before a game against the dirtiest side in the league who seem to be worried about being bullied and who don't like us being able to stand up to them.

Marv's worked well in these games before and they haven't beaten us.

Get in there Marvin.

Spot on about Marvelous Marvin.

As for Brandon Barker, then yes he is potentially a very good player but I have doubts whether his temperament will be right for tonight's battle.

HoboHarry
27-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Matty Jack was crap and not Hibs class as well then?

😂😂😂😂

3pm
27-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Sub.

Deansy
27-12-2017, 05:48 PM
It's obvious that Brandon's been busting a gut trying to score in the last 2/3 games - think tonight could be a very good night for him and us :flag:

theonlywayisup
27-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Starts on the bench

Bostonhibby
27-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Spot on about Marvelous Marvin.

As for Brandon Barker, then yes he is potentially a very good player but I have doubts whether his temperament will be right for tonight's battle.I'd actually play both

-Jonesy-
27-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Rub it up ye

Pete
27-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Well, erm...yeah. That went well.

:greengrin

LaMotta
27-12-2017, 08:45 PM
anyone, yes anyone, that thought Bartley shouldnt have started tonight needs to give up watching football. ***n clueless.

Hibee Mac
27-12-2017, 08:46 PM
He's definitely not the type of player to take a hefty challenge and get right back up again. Unfortunate that he's injured but I'm far more worried about Boyle.

Hibee Mac
27-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Oh and Bartley was one of our best player in a big game, again. First name on the team sheet in these kind of games.

SaulGoodman
27-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Best player on the pitch by a mile. He won't let the yams bully us

Future17
27-12-2017, 08:58 PM

I usually ignore your nonsense but this is different level. You post reads like you believe a football team can have a team full of creative players with no players who can stop the opposition. If that is the case, you know very little about football.

It's actually embarrassing to me that your comment is in a Hibs fans' forum.

Bostonhibby
27-12-2017, 09:00 PM
I thought Marvin was our Man of the Match.

Allant1981
27-12-2017, 09:01 PM

just as well you dont pick our team

The_Exile
27-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Bartman 10 out of 10 tonight, he was a rock.

Barker took a sore one but it was a cracking challenge by Soutar to be fair.

Mr White
27-12-2017, 09:02 PM

He was outstanding and the first name on the teamsheet for a derby IMO.

Booked4Being-Ugly
27-12-2017, 09:04 PM
He should have knocked it by Souter and just forced the foul!

J-C
27-12-2017, 09:04 PM
I usually ignore your nonsense but this is different level. You post reads like you believe a football team can have a team full of creative players with no players who can stop the opposition. If that is the case, you know very little about football.

It's actually embarrassing to me that your comment is in a Hibs fans' forum.

Bartley is very limited but he does all the dirty cleaning up stuff in the middle, I can see where he's coming from though, can we not get a strong DM who can actually play a bit also. I actually think Efe would make a really good DM, strong in the challenge and a good ball player.

cabbageandribs1875
27-12-2017, 09:07 PM
give Marvin Bartley a career-long contract :agree:

Allant1981
27-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Bartley is very limited but he does all the dirty cleaning up stuff in the middle, I can see where he's coming from though, can we not get a strong DM who can actually play a bit also. I actually think Efe would make a really good DM, strong in the challenge and a good ball player.

please tell how he is limited? can tackle, good in the air, can pick a pass, can take it past a man, granted not very good at shooting so i suppose you are correct

Elephant Stone
27-12-2017, 09:19 PM

Wow.

overdrive
27-12-2017, 09:19 PM

He’s limited in the same sense Marciano is limited and shows no attacking prowess. I keep using this as an example. The player numerous people on here would have kept this summer over Bartley, Fyvie, was a jack of all trades in midfield, master of none. In fact, that’s generous as I think Bartley is better offensively than him. Bartley should have been playing vs the The’s.

danhibees1875
27-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Bartley isn't "limited" - he just has a different skillset to others. Every player is limited in that regard.

Another top performance from the big man. :aok:

one day maybe...
27-12-2017, 09:26 PM

By a country mile :agree:

J-C
28-12-2017, 08:07 AM
please tell how he is limited? can tackle, good in the air, can pick a pass, can take it past a man, granted not very good at shooting so i suppose you are correct

Wow.

He’s limited in the same sense Marciano is limited and shows no attacking prowess. I keep using this as an example. The player numerous people on here would have kept this summer over Bartley, Fyvie, was a jack of all trades in midfield, master of none. In fact, that’s generous as I think Bartley is better offensively than him. Bartley should have been playing vs the The’s.

Bartley isn't "limited" - he just has a different skillset to others. Every player is limited in that regard.

Another top performance from the big man. :aok:

He does what he does very well there's no denying that, breaks up play, puts his body on the line etc and in these types of games he allows Dylan and McGinn freedom. I just want to see more than breaking up play and giving a 5 yard pass to McGeouch, I also want to see some industry, some vision and a bit of drive forward. Prior to big Marv coming in we had a midfield of Fyvie, Dylan, Allan, probably one of the best midfields I'd seen in a long time, we didn't have the hard man DM and some of the interplay with those players was a joy to watch.

In certain games Marv is exactly what we need but not against the other 7 teams in the league.

oneone73
28-12-2017, 08:10 AM
He does what he does very well there's no denying that, breaks up play, puts his body on the line etc and in these types of games he allows Dylan and McGinn freedom. I just want to see more than breaking up play and giving a 5 yard pass to McGeouch, I also want to see some industry, some vision and a bit of drive forward. Prior to big Marv coming in we had a midfield of Fyvie, Dylan, Allan and McGinn, probably one of the best midfields I'd seen in a long time, we didn't have the hard man DM and some of the interplay with those players was a joy to watch.

In certain games Marv is exactly what we need but not against the other 7 teams in the league.

When did Allan and McGinn play together??

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2017, 08:11 AM
He does what he does very well there's no denying that, breaks up play, puts his body on the line etc and in these types of games he allows Dylan and McGinn freedom. I just want to see more than breaking up play and giving a 5 yard pass to McGeouch, I also want to see some industry, some vision and a bit of drive forward. Prior to big Marv coming in we had a midfield of Fyvie, Dylan, Allan and McGinn, probably one of the best midfields I'd seen in a long time, we didn't have the hard man DM and some of the interplay with those players was a joy to watch.

McGinn and Allan never played together

danhibees1875
28-12-2017, 08:13 AM

They didn't, we had Robertson and Craig in that midfield. Bartley is better.

J-C
28-12-2017, 08:24 AM

McGinn and Allan never played together

They didn't, we had Robertson and Craig in that midfield. Bartley is better.

Lying in bed with the flu, you are right my bad :greengrin heads all over the place.

Edited the post now.

The_Exile
28-12-2017, 08:54 AM
He does what he does very well there's no denying that, breaks up play, puts his body on the line etc and in these types of games he allows Dylan and McGinn freedom. I just want to see more than breaking up play and giving a 5 yard pass to McGeouch, I also want to see some industry, some vision and a bit of drive forward. Prior to big Marv coming in we had a midfield of Fyvie, Dylan, Allan, probably one of the best midfields I'd seen in a long time, we didn't have the hard man DM and some of the interplay with those players was a joy to watch.

The reason we didn’t have a hard man DM is because we were in the championship playing utter garbage every week. Play those 3 against our current opposition and see how that goes.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2017, 09:35 AM
The reason we didn’t have a hard man DM is because we were in the championship playing utter garbage every week. Play those 3 against our current opposition and see how that goes.

They would be fine a lot of the time. Our midfield against St Johnstone at Tynie was Fyvie, McGeouch, McGinn and Henderson and they absolutely bossed it. One of the best midfield performances I remember from a Hibs team. McGinn, Fyvie and McGeouch bossed the cup final as well.

J-C
28-12-2017, 10:26 AM
They would be fine a lot of the time. Our midfield against St Johnstone at Tynie was Fyvie, McGeouch, McGinn and Henderson and they absolutely bossed it. One of the best midfield performances I remember from a Hibs team. McGinn, Fyvie and McGeouch bossed the cup final as well.

Which was the point I was trying to make but getting players and dates mixed up, bloody flu.