PDA

View Full Version : Jambos and sectarian songs

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Interesting to see a thread on JKB expressing disappointment at the amount and level of Billy Boy and FTP songs sung by their fans at St Johnstone yesterday, it was also mentioned on their matchday thread.

In all honesty it was heartening ( no pun intended ) to see the majority of folk posting on the thread who were dead set against those fans who seem hell bent on turning Hearts into a Sevco tribute act and even more heartening to see a few posters stand up for us when some of the apologists tried to defend the songs by suggesting that we sing pro IRA stuff ... more than one poster with high post counts over there correctly pointing out that it has been decades since Hibs fans got themselves involved in that nonsense.

All I would say to fans of both clubs, is the Edinburgh derby and rivalry is one of, if not the, oldest in world football, the passion it generates is as good as any derby anywhere. In some quarters religious sectarianism and serious violence surrounding derby matches is mistaken for football passion, its not, its small minded idiocy perpetrated by brainless morons who have no love for the game.
For the last 20 or 30 years the Edinburgh derby has managed to maintain an intense atmosphere based on a healthy mutual dislike of each other based on nothing more than football rivalry .... we ( neither club ) needs to spoil that by reintroducing a factor that isn't needed, isn't welcome, and to the credit of both supports huge efforts have been made in the last 30 years to consign to history where it belongs and where it should certainly stay.

So with the upcoming derby in mind. Good luck to the Hearts fans who want to see their fans cut out the bigoted crap and a reminder to Hibs fans that if it does happen reacting in kind will only make the situation worse, it wont stop it.

Colr
24-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Agree with that. Hearts fans I know or are related to are not sectarian in any way and neither are Hibs.

Let’s leave that ***** to the morons from Glasgow.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Very well said. Hearts have always had a minority of hardcore loyalists in their support who do their best to mimic Rangers. If they are such staunch bigots, why don't they just go and support the real thing? I'm confident they remain a minority, albeit a loud minority, and that most Jambos are embarrassed by them. Certainly the Hearts fans I know have no time for them. Football supports will always contain some real clowns, Hibs included, but the overt sectarian garbage is very much an Old Firm thing now. The problem is bigots at all clubs hear the Old Firm singing it every week with impunity and know they can get away with it. Good on those Jambos who expressed their disgust.

Elephant Stone
24-12-2017, 07:22 AM
It's been going on for decades. Have their club or support done anything about it? Nah. And they have the cheek to use words like 'vermin'.

We all have pals who support Hearts but as a collective group they have some of the shannest banter imaginable.

CraigHibee
24-12-2017, 07:24 AM
The jambos I know can't stand any of the sectarian guff

green day
24-12-2017, 07:50 AM
It's been going on for decades. Have their club or support done anything about it? Nah. And they have the cheek to use words like 'vermin'.

We all have pals who support Hearts but as a collective group they have some of the shannest banter imaginable.

Not entirely true - Anne Budge has banned a fair few already for unsavoury behaviour and published articles on their site condemning stuff like this.

I dont have that much time for the auld troot, but she has definitely marked the card of the lunatic fringe across the road.

Aldo
24-12-2017, 08:08 AM
I had the misfortune of going to school with quite a few yams who had and still have very loyalist views. They were amongst those who would position themselves in the corner of the old asbestos stand near the Roseburn end.

Lowlife then and lowlife now and views to match.

Minority I hasten to add but still Neanderthals

Hibernian Verse
24-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Not entirely true - Anne Budge has banned a fair few already for unsavoury behaviour and published articles on their site condemning stuff like this.

I dont have that much time for the auld troot, but she has definitely marked the card of the lunatic fringe across the road.Correct. And she has also been very good for Scottish football along with our very own Leann. IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Johnny Clash
24-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Let’s not forget that Hearts were founded the original sectarian bigoted club in Scotland so they’re not really a tribute act. Sadly, they signed up to religious hatred (before Rangers got in on the act). Religious intolerance and persecution was huge in the 1870s and I’m sure all Hibees are glad to see the world move on since then.

Hibs were set up through the St. Patrick’s branch of the Catholic Young Men’s Society but I’ve never heard of Hibs supporters singing songs of hate against any religion.

Sprouleflyer
24-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Plenty of 90 min bigots within the Hearts support.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Plenty of 90 min bigots within the Hearts support.

There are no 'ninety minute bigots', only bigots. If they sing sectarian songs at football, they hold sectarian views. Anyone who rejects those views wouldn't sing them.

Colr
24-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Let’s not forget that Hearts were founded the original sectarian bigoted club in Scotland so they’re not really a tribute act. Sadly, they signed up to religious hatred (before Rangers got in on the act). Religious intolerance and persecution was huge in the 1870s and I’m sure all Hibees are glad to see the world move on since then.

Hibs were set up through the St. Patrick’s branch of the Catholic Young Men’s Society but I’ve never heard of Hibs supporters singing songs of hate against any religion.

Well, at a time when the sectarians that ran Scottish football excluded Hibs because they were Irish, Hearts ignored them and continued to play us.

Either way, that was a long time ago and the people involved were not us and are long dead.

Like you I’ve never heard anything sectarian from Hibs the way one would experience at Celtic.

overdrive
24-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Sadly, I think it is the younger generation who are getting into this nonsense. Last Sunday after their game I was passing the Omni Centre and there was a small group of teenage Hearts fans outside giving it laldy with the billy boys and songs about fenians.

Also, for balance, I was embarrassed at some of the stuff that was coming out of the singing section yesterday. Not sectarian but stuff that was poor taste. It started with the Mercer song which to be fair was quickly drowned out by the rest of the section the first time one guy tried to start it. The ones about Mercer’s wife and Marvin Bartley were below the belt.

InchHibby
24-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Interesting to see a thread on JKB expressing disappointment at the amount and level of Billy Boy and FTP songs sung by their fans at St Johnstone yesterday, it was also mentioned on their matchday thread.

In all honesty it was heartening ( no pun intended ) to see the majority of folk posting on the thread who were dead set against those fans who seem hell bent on turning Hearts into a Sevco tribute act and even more heartening to see a few posters stand up for us when some of the apologists tried to defend the songs by suggesting that we sing pro IRA stuff ... more than one poster with high post counts over there correctly pointing out that it has been decades since Hibs fans got themselves involved in that nonsense.

All I would say to fans of both clubs, is the Edinburgh derby and rivalry is one of, if not the, oldest in world football, the passion it generates is as good as any derby anywhere. In some quarters religious sectarianism and serious violence surrounding derby matches is mistaken for football passion, its not, its small minded idiocy perpetrated by brainless morons who have no love for the game.
For the last 20 or 30 years the Edinburgh derby has managed to maintain an intense atmosphere based on a healthy mutual dislike of each other based on nothing more than football rivalry .... we ( neither club ) needs to spoil that by reintroducing a factor that isn't needed, isn't welcome, and to the credit of both supports huge efforts have been made in the last 30 years to consign to history where it belongs and where it should certainly stay.

So with the upcoming derby in mind. Good luck to the Hearts fans who want to see their fans cut out the bigoted crap and a reminder to Hibs fans that if it does happen reacting in kind will only make the situation worse, it wont stop it.

Great post, I agree with this entirely, no time for anybody who brings religion or politics into the game of football. Well said my man. GGTTH

Johnny Clash
24-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Well, at a time when the sectarians that ran Scottish football excluded Hibs because they were Irish, Hearts ignored them and continued to play us.

Either way, that was a long time ago and the people involved were not us and are long dead.

Like you I’ve never heard anything sectarian from Hibs the way one would experience at Celtic.

The zoomers seem to be two cheeks of the same arse with their anti- Catholic rhetoric. Hibs were immersed in Irish politics at our outset but supporting political objectives like Home Rule and an Irish Republic is totally different to ‘hating protestants’. In fact, many Protestants fought against tyrany in Ireland -Wolfe Tone for example!

superfurryhibby
24-12-2017, 08:52 AM

Hibs were without question an exclusively catholic side and in that sense they were sectarian, probably so until the demise of the original set up in the early 1890's. This wasn't a part of Hearts' constitution and as someone with a keen interest in the history of our game, have to say that this is the first time I've heard that claim.

In short, you must never have attended Easter Road in the 70's or 80's. We had a lot of Rebel songs/pro IRA chants in our songbook.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 09:01 AM
In short, you must never have attended Easter Road in the 70's or 80's. We had a lot of Rebel songs/pro IRA chants in our songbook.

Thankfully, that stuff must just have been dying out when I started to attend right at the end of the eighties. I don't remember any. My dad certainly does, and he says it caused aggro amongst Hibs fans as objections to certain songs could end in arguments and even fights. Crazy times.

Bishop Hibee
24-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Pretty sad these songs are back at Tynie. Most Hearts fans I know will be embarrassed by them. Unfortunately I know a minority will be loving it.

As for Hibs, I’ve not heard anything that could be classed as sectarian since the late 80’s.

Colr
24-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Just used to go to the ESS games in the 70s when I was a wee boy. I stopped going in the 80s because I couldn’t be arsed with the violence that accompanied football at that time.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Just used to go to the ESS games in the 70s when I was a wee boy. I stopped going in the 80s because I couldn’t be arsed with the violence that accompanied football at that time.

Aye, it's a completely different experience now, and for the most part far better, IMHO. My dad would have loved to take my brother and I along much earlier than he did, but football just wasn't a place for kids during the high point of hooliganism. I was around thirteen before I was allowed to go, and even then couldn't go unaccompanied. There weren't many women and children at games back then, and I still remember the strong smell of cigarette smoke, booze and pish. Being at the fitba meant you were growing up.

It's great to see families at games now, even very young children. It just wasn't possible when we were wee.

Hibrandenburg
24-12-2017, 09:18 AM

It was rife in the 70's. We even had guys shaking collection tins for "our boys over the water" at games.

bigwheel
24-12-2017, 09:25 AM

You must be younger than me - in 70s and early 80s , Hibs fans travelled with a few
Of the pro Irish independence and anti “orange” Songs in our songbook ... never heard it since then mind you

GreenCastle
24-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Seems the yams away following seem to have the sectarian element - before the derby in pubs and away games around the Perth train stations.

I also think a lot of them are so thick they actually don’t even know what they are singing.

If you asked them individually what they are singing about they provably wouldn’t be able to explain it.

Anyway no doubt at the derby you will have the usual idiots in the corner of the hearts stands giving it the cringey Union Jack waving and saltutes we often see.

Johnny Clash
24-12-2017, 09:36 AM
You must be younger than me - in 70s and early 80s , Hibs fans travelled with a few
Of the pro Irish independence and anti “orange” Songs in our songbook ... never heard it since then mind you

I wasn’t talking about pro Independence songs or songs condemning Orange bigotry. I’ve never once heard Hibs fans singing anti-Protestant songs.

Mikey
24-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Their songbook was decimated last year so they've had to find something new to sing about.

ionahibby
24-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I was shocked it took them 3 pages on their thread to mention us! It usually is one the first things they blame on us when it comes to all that stuff.
Even a few hearts fans I know though not sectarian in any way had a slight dig when we signed up Lennon "us and Lennon are a perfect fit" wink wink. Sometimes I think they like the mini rangers tag.

Johnny Clash
24-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Hibs were without question an exclusively catholic side and in that sense they were sectarian, probably so until the demise of the original set up in the early 1890's. This wasn't a part of Hearts' constitution and as someone with a keen interest in the history of our game, have to say that this is the first time I've heard that claim.

There‘s a lot of meticulous research in Alan Lugton’s book ‘The Making of Hibernian” volume 1 . It’s an excellent read. He details the formation of Heart of Midlothian (named after a dance hall which in turn took the name from an old Edinburgh prison). Hearts ‘Protestant Only’ policy was formal whereas when Rangers followed theirs was unwritten.

Hibs fans did indeed sing songs supporting a United Ireland but they did not sing anti-Protestant songs.

Kato
24-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Weird they are all over the Rosebery family again. They were synonymous with the Orange Order at one time and their most vocal supporters.

I guess losing their songbook on 21.5.16 has created a vacuum which has to be filled somehow. Displays a shocking lack of imagination dredging that crap up. Good on those Hearts fans coming out against it, self-policing is the only way.

Kato
24-12-2017, 12:19 PM
There‘s a lot of meticulous research in Alan Lugton’s book ‘The Making of Hibernian” volume 1 . It’s an excellent read. He details the formation of Heart of Midlothian (named after a dance hall which in turn took the name from an old Edinburgh prison). Hearts ‘Protestant Only’ policy was formal whereas when Rangers followed theirs was unwritten.

There were articles in the press at one point that Hearts were considering an "Orange man" only signing policy back then.

tamig
24-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Sadly, I think it is the younger generation who are getting into this nonsense. Last Sunday after their game I was passing the Omni Centre and there was a small group of teenage Hearts fans outside giving it laldy with the billy boys and songs about fenians.

Also, for balance, I was embarrassed at some of the stuff that was coming out of the singing section yesterday. Not sectarian but stuff that was poor taste. It started with the Mercer song which to be fair was quickly drowned out by the rest of the section the first time one guy tried to start it. The ones about Mercer’s wife and Marvin Bartley were below the belt.
There was also a blast of that odious “Stokesy’s Da” ditty against the hun the other week. The Mercer song is more than fair game in my book. I could never condemn it.

therealgavmac
24-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Hibs fans did indeed sing songs supporting a United Ireland but they did not sing anti-Protestant songs.

In the 70’s...... yes, they did

Pete
24-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Regardless of what happened a long time ago, our modern rivalry is nothing like the toxic West coast one.

While there is definitely a sectarian element at Hearts it really is a minority...I know more than my fair share of them and they simply aren’t interested. It tends to be young guys looking for an identity or older guys doing the same who are just idiots.

Can Hearts do more to discourage it? I don’t know but didn’t they ban the “young team” for bigoted acts on previous occasions?

Sir David Gray
24-12-2017, 01:23 PM
We have a very small minority who get involved in that nonsense, thankfully it's such a small number that it's barely worth talking about but the recent song about Stokes and the "forever and ever" song which occasionally gets an airing need to be completely eradicated from our support.

I pride myself on being able to tell people that Hibs fans do not get involved in that type of behaviour and that we are nothing like Celtic.

To a large extent, that is true but we need to guard against complacency where this is concerned and make sure it does not creep into our support.

Dashing Bob S
24-12-2017, 01:34 PM
The so-called Hearts supporters who sign those 'songs' should be aware that are they letting down their club, their community and their country. Worse than that, they are letting down The Queen of Hearts herself, that magnificent lady who, only a few short years ago, radiantly strolled through those Tynecastle gates and into the hearts of every football fan across the country. Don't let a few idiots tarnish and besmirch your good name, ma'am.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 01:35 PM
The so-called Hearts supporters who sign those 'songs' should be aware that are they letting down their club, their community and their country. Worse than that, they are letting down The Queen of Hearts herself, that magnificent lady who, only a few short years ago, radiantly strolled through those Tynecastle gates and into the hearts of every football fan across the country. Don't let a few idiots tarnish and besmirch your good name, ma'am.

:agree:

Looking forward tae her Christmas speech oan the Liza Minelli tomorrow.

WoreTheGreen
24-12-2017, 01:55 PM
:agree:

Looking forward tae her Christmas speech oan the Liza Minelli tomorrow.

With the backdrop of the castle from the castle suite oohhh oopps

givescotlandfreedom
24-12-2017, 02:24 PM
I do find there is an underlying bigoted undercurrent among quite a few I know. Facebook is quite good at revealing the thoughts of some of them that wouldn't say it to your face. I know one or two of them that can't stand it though.

hibsbollah
24-12-2017, 02:25 PM

:agree: there was a lot of us in that boat.

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 02:29 PM
As I thought would happen some of the discussion has turned to the history of Hibs and Hearts going back to the 1870s. Always an interesting topic to be sure, but kind of missing the point of why I posted.

How Hibs or Hearts ended up in a position where fans of either club thought it appropriate to adopt songs mocking Catholicism and Protestantism, or in support of paramilitary organizations on the other side of the water isn't really relevant. The point is that doing so has never added to the attraction of Edinburgh football.

As folk rightly point out it was far more prevalent in the 70s and early 80s than it is now and since that time Hibs especially have turned our backs on it, with Hearts not all that far behind. The benefits of that are clear for all to see with folk far more willing to let their kids go to football and families going to games together, though the drop off in hooliganism and more family friendly stadiums are no doubt also contributory factors.

In short, how the original worthies who founded Hibs and Hearts though and behaved should not be any influence whatsoever on the fan 'culture' of 21st century Edinburgh football .... hell, some of the young guys who stood on the terraces of Easter Road and Tynecastle in the 70s banging out sectarian bull**** now have children and even grandchildren going to games who have no experience of sectarianism within the ranks of either support, the odd flaring up from pockets of deluded idiots notwithstanding.

That IMO is a brilliant thing to be able to say and for the sake of Edinburgh football I fervently hope that fans on both sides quickly and vigorously stamp out any attempt to return us to the bad old days. Hearts appear to be beginning to have a problem, but it could just as easily be us, and we cant afford to be complacent, which is why I worry that any momentum a return to the Billy Boys culture of the 70s gathers over the road might provoke a reaction in kind from our younger supporters.

Its very much in our interest to support the majority of Hearts fans in any attempt to stamp out sectarianism, rather than just use it as a stick to beat them with, and I hope they would look at the situation in the same way if it was us.

Crab apple
24-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Good to see a number of their posters condemn the moronic singing. Compared to their big ugly cousins they are much less guilty. However as a club they definitely should be doing more to discourage sectarianism. They’ve always had a small hard core loyalist element in their support and even today there are some active links to groups in their big cousins and Glentoran supports. I do think that under the previous regime of the Liths, Fireworks Phil etc they deliberately played up all the McRaes battalion, we won the war patriotic stuff and some of the morons bizarely link the two things and believe their club is giving its tacit approval to their sectarian views.

givescotlandfreedom
24-12-2017, 02:48 PM
I do think that under the previous regime of the Liths, Fireworks Phil etc they deliberately played up all the McRaes battalion, we won the war patriotic stuff and some of the morons bizarely link the two things and believe their club is giving its tacit approval to their sectarian views.

I think you're absolutely right.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Good to see a number of their posters condemn the moronic singing. Compared to their big ugly cousins they are much less guilty. However as a club they definitely should be doing more to discourage sectarianism. They’ve always had a small hard core loyalist element in their support and even today there are some active links to groups in their big cousins and Glentoran supports. I do think that under the previous regime of the Liths, Fireworks Phil etc they deliberately played up all the McRaes battalion, we won the war patriotic stuff and some of the morons bizarely link the two things and believe their club is giving its tacit approval to their sectarian views.

Not sure it's bizarre to be honest, I think it's quite deliberate, like all the armed forces days, poppy displays and associated drivel at Ibrox.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Not sure it's bizarre to be honest, I think it's quite deliberate, like all the armed forces days, poopy displays and associated drivel at Ibrox.Spot on. The few I know are normally pretty sensible until it comes to the debate about why no one else can match their war efforts and their singularly unique connection to the Macraes.

The recent stewards of their club have cynically exploited this thinking.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
24-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Poopy display!!

Great observation, sir.

Describes our city neighbours to a tee.:greengrin

Tomsk
24-12-2017, 04:36 PM
I remember the songs from the 70s. They included Reb songs and republican songs, which as a rule tend to avoid being religiously sectarian as they operate on the assumption that in a united Ireland there will be a peaceful settlement for both Catholic and Protestant. Aye, right! There were also songs with sectarian content, although frequently justified as being anti-Orange Order rather than anti-Protestant. But the songbook also included ditties with overtly ant-Protestant lyrics -- "Northmen, Southmen, comrades all/Soon there'll be no Protestants at all./We're on the right road/Singing a song/Singing The Soldiers' Song. etc."

In my experience they weren't that commonplace. It was on the buses that they reared up, and even then some convener type chap would usually jump right in to put a stop to it. As a silly wee laddie I found it all quite thrilling and daring -- look at me, I'm a kiddie-on Reb!

A couple of questions. For Hibbies even older than me, do you recall republican/sectarian singing in the 60s, or 50s if you can go back that far?

And to what extent was the nonsense in 70s just a reflection of the wider societal issue of the troubles in Northern Ireland at the time? Was there any real depth to the republican sentiments or was it just opportunism and daft wee laddies like me with all the political sophistication of Student Grant?

IlDiavola
24-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Seems the yams away following seem to have the sectarian element - before the derby in pubs and away games around the Perth train stations.

I also think a lot of them are so thick they actually don’t even know what they are singing.

If you asked them individually what they are singing about they provably wouldn’t be able to explain it.

Anyway no doubt at the derby you will have the usual idiots in the corner of the hearts stands giving it the cringey Union Jack waving and saltutes we often see.

I think this bit is key to the arguement.

Diclonius
24-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Hearts' sectarian element is a minority of idiots who rightly get pillared by the rest of their fans. I suspect they only bring out their Union flags for games against us and Celtic.

In a similar vein, we have that section who always - always - bring a tricolour to Tynecastle or against Rangers, but never any other game. Bet you we see them on Wednesday, allowing the media to perpetuate the myth that we're an Edinburgh OF.

IlDiavola
24-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Hearts' sectarian element is a minority of idiots who rightly get pillared by the rest of their fans. I suspect they only bring out their Union flags for games against us and Celtic.

In a similar vein, we have that section who always - always - bring a tricolour to Tynecastle or against Rangers, but never any other game. Bet you we see them on Wednesday, allowing the media to perpetuate the myth that we're an Edinburgh OF.

Good post.

Why would any Hibs fan want a tricolour when they could have a :flag:?

Mr White
24-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Good post.

Why would any Hibs fan want a tricolour when they could have a :flag:?

Careful now, that could be construed as a green flag flying high that could :greengrin

mjhibby
24-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Actually quite heartening to see the response from most of them. Still a sizable minority who don't see it as wrong to sing their little ditties. Hopefully with time we can get rid of it altogether from football in the East but think that will take a while yet.

IlDiavola
24-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Careful now, that could be construed as a green flag flying high that could :greengrin

:thumbsup:

Trying to sneak that Vatican flag into Tiny on Wednesday might be a problem though :wink:

Diclonius
24-12-2017, 05:22 PM
:thumbsup:

Trying to sneak that Vatican flag into Tiny on Wednesday might be a problem though :wink:

Not sure if you're being serious, but I genuinely did sit next to a guy with a Vatican flag at Tynecastle a few years ago.

Mr White
24-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Not sure if you're being serious, but I genuinely did sit next to a guy with a Vatican flag at Tynecastle a few years ago.

Was he wearing a big pointy hat?

Lendo
24-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Gutted their thread on the fellas son getting lifted by the police on the train “literally for nothing” has been closed. He was only “singing songs”. No mention as to what these songs were though.....

superfurryhibby
24-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Yep, Lugton's books are excellent. I've just revisited the first one and whilst it's clear that Hibs faced discrimination, there is no suggestion that Hearts were formed as a sectarian club nor that they initially harboured any bad will towards Hibs. When the Edinbugh Football Association showed reluctance to recognise us, Hearts did us the honour of our first ever game 142 years ago on this day.

mjhibby
24-12-2017, 06:20 PM
As I thought would happen some of the discussion has turned to the history of Hibs and Hearts going back to the 1870s. Always an interesting topic to be sure, but kind of missing the point of why I posted.

How Hibs or Hearts ended up in a position where fans of either club thought it appropriate to adopt songs mocking Catholicism and Protestantism, or in support of paramilitary organizations on the other side of the water isn't really relevant. The point is that doing so has never added to the attraction of Edinburgh football.

As folk rightly point out it was far more prevalent in the 70s and early 80s than it is now and since that time Hibs especially have turned our backs on it, with Hearts not all that far behind. The benefits of that are clear for all to see with folk far more willing to let their kids go to football and families going to games together, though the drop off in hooliganism and more family friendly stadiums are no doubt also contributory factors.

In short, how the original worthies who founded Hibs and Hearts though and behaved should not be any influence whatsoever on the fan 'culture' of 21st century Edinburgh football .... hell, some of the young guys who stood on the terraces of Easter Road and Tynecastle in the 70s banging out sectarian bull**** now have children and even grandchildren going to games who have no experience of sectarianism within the ranks of either support, the odd flaring up from pockets of deluded idiots notwithstanding.

That IMO is a brilliant thing to be able to say and for the sake of Edinburgh football I fervently hope that fans on both sides quickly and vigorously stamp out any attempt to return us to the bad old days. Hearts appear to be beginning to have a problem, but it could just as easily be us, and we cant afford to be complacent, which is why I worry that any momentum a return to the Billy Boys culture of the 70s gathers over the road might provoke a reaction in kind from our younger supporters.

Its very much in our interest to support the majority of Hearts fans in any attempt to stamp out sectarianism, rather than just use it as a stick to beat them with, and I hope they would look at the situation in the same way if it was us.

Unfortunately there is still an element who think it's OK to be 90 minute bigots. You only have to watch you tube videos of previous derbies at er to hear the Billy boys belted out by an entire stand though funnily guys who were in the stand don't remember doing it. Lol.

SirDavidsNapper
24-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Cant say I've ever heard sectarian songs from the Hibs support. Closest I've heard is the "Stokesey Da" song. Not a fan of the tricolour flags but guess they're part of our fabric.

lapsedhibee
24-12-2017, 06:46 PM
A couple of questions. For Hibbies even older than me, do you recall republican/sectarian singing in the 60s, or 50s if you can go back that far?

On buses to away games in the mid-late 60s, yes, definitely. Don't remember anything at ER though.

Pretty Boy
24-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Most Hearts fans I know would be pretty pissed off and more than a little embarrassed at hearing their fellow fans sing 'We hate Catholics, everybody hates Roman Catholics' (sung to the tune of Tiffanys I think we're Alone). If it's true that got an airing in Perth yesterday I'd be confident no one I know would have joined in.

It appears it was mostly young lads leading the singing with a few of those creepy older guys who always seem drawn to this kind of thing thrown in. I think it's probably because a lot of young Hearts fans are aware their support is quiet and crap and are trying to get it going. Obviously they aren't going about it in the right way but I'm sure they'll grow out of it. I went to see the Wolfetones once when I was about 15 and sang along to songs about something I knew nothing about at the time. I grew up and wouldn't do so now.

Johnny Clash
24-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Yep, Lugton's books are excellent. I've just revisited the first one and whilst it's clear that Hibs faced discrimination, there is no suggestion that Hearts were formed as a sectarian club nor that they initially harboured any bad will towards Hibs. When the Edinbugh Football Association showed reluctance to recognise us, Hearts did us the honour of our first ever game 142 years ago on this day.

I’ll need to have a butchers when I’m back in London. I can definitely remember being surprised at the Rangers reference coz I just assumed they were created with all that hatred and poison but apparantly not.

Also, Protestant mobs used to riot in Edinburgh streets back in the day and the fledgling Hibernian FC were set upon by the mob when they trained/played in the Meadows. There’s also reports in the press of full scale riots that would break out at early Hibs v Hearts games which sounds like a fair amount of bad feeling to me. Hearts played Hibs coz they realised there was money to be made - not due to some friendship . The violence back then makes the pavement dancers of this century look very tame!

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-12-2017, 07:46 PM
I’ll need to have a butchers when I’m back in London. I can definitely remember being surprised at the Rangers reference coz I just assumed they were created with all that hatred and poison but apparantly not.

Also, Protestant mobs used to riot in Edinburgh streets back in the day and the fledgling Hibernian FC were set upon by the mob when they trained/played in the Meadows. There’s also reports in the press of full scale riots that would break out at early Hibs v Hearts games which sounds like a fair amount of bad feeling to me. Hearts played Hibs coz they realised there was money to be made - not due to some friendship . The violence back then makes the pavement dancers of this century look very tame!

Excellent post and very true.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2017, 07:52 PM

That happened to Hibs across the country and wasn't exclysive to games v Hearts. The early games were played for sport, not cash. The rise of sectarianism at Ibrox us well documented in a book, The Old Firm, Sectarianism , Sport and Society, by Bill Murray. He is an academic and his research is impressive. Says that Rangers really embraced a Protestant identity in the early 20th century. Linked it to an influx of Ulster shipbuilders on the Clyde and commercial opportunities.

Cardinal G
24-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Ashamed to say as a young 16 year old in 1981 who knew no better I joined in on occasion with the odd ditty being sang in support of the IRA and the like. Not proud of it but was on occasion rebuked by fellow fans , fortunately I realised over time how stupid I was so by the time I hit 18 it was behind me.
Proud to say I have never heard a whisper of it at all since early 80s

jgl07
25-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Very well said. Hearts have always had a minority of hardcore loyalists in their support who do their best to mimic Rangers. If they are such staunch bigots, why don't they just go and support the real thing?

They haven't got the train fare?

calumhibee1
25-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Twitter is full of Hearts fans who are telling anyone condemning the singing to grow a set and if they're offended to stop coming to Hearts games. Bellends.

Colr
25-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Twitter is full of Hearts fans who are telling anyone condemning the singing to grow a set and if they're offended to stop coming to Hearts games. Bellends.

That’s probably from the Russians

NAE NOOKIE
25-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Back then football in its entirety was purely amateur and I doubt that on Christmas day 1875 less than 6 months after Hibs were founded folk were being charged admission to watch either team play football, or at least not enough that it would be so lucrative Hearts would risk the wrath of the blazers by playing us.
There's no doubt that in the years not long after that the derby game would be a money spinner for both clubs, but who is to say that there wasn't at least a few folk associated with Hearts who saw the unfairness of Hibs being ostracised from football for what it was? Especially considering there appears to be no evidence whatsoever that Hearts had any form of sectarian policy.

Don't get me wrong, you are probably right but I like to hope that even in Victorian times there were folk around prepared to put entrenched views aside in the interest of fairness and the Corinthian spirit especially at Christmas, perhaps the day the game was played on is more than just coincidence :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
25-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Most Hearts fans I know would be pretty pissed off and more than a little embarrassed at hearing their fellow fans sing 'We hate Catholics, everybody hates Roman Catholics' (sung to the tune of Tiffanys I think we're Alone). If it's true that got an airing in Perth yesterday I'd be confident no one I know would have joined in.

It appears it was mostly young lads leading the singing with a few of those creepy older guys who always seem drawn to this kind of thing thrown in. I think it's probably because a lot of young Hearts fans are aware their support is quiet and crap and are trying to get it going. Obviously they aren't going about it in the right way but I'm sure they'll grow out of it. I went to see the Wolfetones once when I was about 15 and sang along to songs about something I knew nothing about at the time. I grew up and wouldn't do so now.

Huns were singing that Tiffany song months ago, so there you have mini-Hunnery in all its mimicry.

eezyrider
25-12-2017, 02:37 PM

I've heard that kind of thing coming from fans of The Rangers and Celtic as well. There is no excuse for bigotry and it should be stamped out.

It's been mentioned on here about the Irish songs sung in the 70s and 80S by Hibs fans however I started going to Easter Road regularly around 74-75 and can't say I ever heard any songs like that.

Of course I didn't go to every game and never went on supports buses so maybe missed them.

EZ

superfurryhibby
25-12-2017, 08:24 PM
I've heard that kind of thing coming from fans of The Rangers and Celtic as well. There is no excuse for bigotry and it should be stamped out.

It's been mentioned on here about the Irish songs sung in the 70s and 80S by Hibs fans however I started going to Easter Road regularly around 74-75 and can't say I ever heard any songs like that.

Of course I didn't go to every game and never went on supports buses so maybe missed them.

EZ

No, they were belted out from the Terracing, particularly v the Hun.

Ringothedog
25-12-2017, 09:55 PM

EZ
I remember coming back from Hampden after beating the original Huns 2-0 in a Scottish Cup semi final replay, the Irish songs were in full flow, the bus we were on was from the portobello Royal British legion club

monktonharp
25-12-2017, 10:43 PM

So with the upcoming derby in mind. Good luck to the Hearts fans who want to see their fans cut out the bigoted crap and a reminder to Hibs fans that if it does happen reacting in kind will only make the situation worse, it wont stop it.I just logged on, but hey have you not opened a can o' worms.? I will wait until I read most posts, but I know roughly which direction I will be going in. you may have had a sheltered life, that's the clue

FilipinoHibs
25-12-2017, 11:00 PM
I just logged on, but hey have you not opened a can o' worms.? I will wait until I read most posts, but I know roughly which direction I will be going in. you may have had a sheltered life, that's the clue

Been going to ER since 1970 and never heard any rebel songs. Only ****** the queen and Ian Paisley too. Remember a pretty luke warm and at times hostile reception trying to get support for the hunger strikers. Occasionally saw Republucan news being sold outside ER. While not condoning IRA tactics, the Irish sings are ones of resistance to an illegal occupation. Loyalist songs are pure hatred of Catholics. But glad neither prominent at ER.

monktonharp
25-12-2017, 11:28 PM
I remember coming back from Hampden after beating the original Huns 2-0 in a Scottish Cup semi final replay, the Irish songs were in full flow, the bus we were on was from the portobello Royal British legion clubAye, the Porty Legion was fu' o' Fenians. now closed.:rotflmao:

monktonharp
25-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Been going to ER since 1970 and never heard any rebel songs. Only ****** the queen and Ian Paisley too. Remember a pretty luke warm and at times hostile reception trying to get support for the hunger strikers. Occasionally saw Republucan news being sold outside ER. While not condoning IRA tactics, the Irish sings are ones of resistance to an illegal occupation. Loyalist songs are pure hatred of Catholics. But glad neither prominent at ER.Along with you on that Mr Sing, but when you are 17 or 18 yrs old and happen to have a green and white scarf on in Abbeyhill, being approached by a huge hoard of chaps in red white and blue while having spittle in your face being accused of being a wee Fenian barsteward, it has an effect. those things to my mind have not moved on and I refer to almost 40 years ago!. However, the OP did refer to Tynecastle.still a fair % of them using the same mantra, Diet Hun if you like. I know white a few of the chaps that go to gorgie for their football thrill.not all bigots, I might add but some have that underlying slant. imho.

calumhibee1
26-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Along with you on that Mr Sing, but when you are 17 or 18 yrs old and happen to have a green and white scarf on in Abbeyhill, being approached by a huge hoard of chaps in red white and blue while having spittle in your face being accused of being a wee Fenian barsteward, it has an effect. those things to my mind have not moved on and I refer to almost 40 years ago!. However, the OP did refer to Tynecastle.still a fair % of them using the same mantra, Diet Hun if you like. I know white a few of the chaps that go to gorgie for their football thrill.not all bigots, I might add but some have that underlying slant. imho.

Yup. There's plenty Hearts fans have bigoted views, much the same as Rangers. It's safe to say they're a lot more similar to Rangers than we are to Celtic that's for sure.

Johnny Clash
26-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Been going to ER since 1970 and never heard any rebel songs. Only ****** the queen and Ian Paisley too. Remember a pretty luke warm and at times hostile reception trying to get support for the hunger strikers. Occasionally saw Republucan news being sold outside ER. While not condoning IRA tactics, the Irish sings are ones of resistance to an illegal occupation. Loyalist songs are pure hatred of Catholics. But glad neither prominent at ER.

That’s a very good point. Some posters get confused with the nature of these songs. I’ve never heard any Hibs fans sing songs hating Protestants during the 1970s or thereafter. Aye, songs were sung about Ireland (‘Erin Go Bragh’was underneath our original harp badge after all!) but not about hating Protestants. Whereas the ugly sisters of the royalist/loyalist persuasion sing songs hating Catholics and about being up to their knees in the blood of Catholics by making the word ‘Fenian’ derogatory . I’m an atheist but I really can’t stand intolerance.

Whether we like it or not you cannot separate politics from football. Our club formed coz of politics. Wallet mercer was a political animal not a football fan. He was a money making businessman and that’s what drove his thinking.

I think it’s good enough if football songs were sung myself but I understand why communities bring politics into their football clubs. It happens all across the world.

NAE NOOKIE
26-12-2017, 01:16 AM
I just logged on, but hey have you not opened a can o' worms.? I will wait until I read most posts, but I know roughly which direction I will be going in. you may have had a sheltered life, that's the clue

Dunno if I've opened a can o' worms, that wasn't my intention. Though I'm not naïve enough not to think this thread might take the odd turn I didn't intend it to, everybody has their own opinion on this type of subject. from my POV I was just happy to see most Yams on their thread against the Billy Boy stuff which I found to be quite encouraging.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense mate, at least not to me, can you clarify what you mean by it, cheers :aok:

eezyrider
26-12-2017, 12:16 PM
No, they were belted out from the Terracing, particularly v the Hun.

I don't doubt it but only relaying my experience. They couldn't have been that common as I would have been well versed in the songs. As I say, I didn't go to every game.

EZ

bigwheel
26-12-2017, 12:57 PM
I don't doubt it but only relaying my experience. They couldn't have been that common as I would have been well versed in the songs. As I say, I didn't go to every game.

EZ

In my recollection from mid 70s to early 80s . they were every common - certainly at most away games, and regularly at home games

The Harp
26-12-2017, 01:35 PM
In my recollection from mid 70s to early 80s . they were every common - certainly at most away games, and regularly at home games

You've got to remember we were subjected to all sorts of anti-Catholic nonsense at away games in the 60s and 70s. Apart from Ibrox, the worst offenders were whenever we visited Brockville, Broomfield and Dens Park.
I travelled to away games on the St Giles branch for years from '63. We had some great characters in the branch at that time. A lot of us were of Irish extraction, including the bus convener, Bernie G., but he made sure the singing of rebel songs wasnt allowed on the bus at least.

.Sean.
26-12-2017, 01:36 PM

They were even singing Ten German Bombers before the Derby in Middletons. Embarrassing.

Hibrandenburg
26-12-2017, 02:43 PM
You've got to remember we were subjected to all sorts of anti-Catholic nonsense at away games in the 60s and 70s. Apart from Ibrox, the worst offenders were whenever we visited Brockville, Broomfield and Dens Park.
I travelled to away games on the St Giles branch for years from '63. We had some great characters in the branch at that time. A lot of us were of Irish extraction, including the bus convener, Bernie G., but he made sure the singing of rebel songs wasnt allowed on the bus at least.

I remember sone of the songs made up and sung on that bus and Irish Rebel songs are tame in comparison. :greengrin

GreenCastle
26-12-2017, 03:08 PM
They were even singing Ten German Bombers before the Derby in Middletons. Embarrassing.

I had a Dundee Utd fan who sat next to be at the derby but he met some jambos before in the pub and couldn’t believe some of the nonsense songs being sung.

Very odd.

Even the song they have about Lafferty mentions the flute. I’m sure many parents are really happy if their kids are singing that.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Travelling to the game tonight on the 44 bus with crowd of Jambos from my local, bus gets to around top of Robertson Drive on Lanark Rd, and some clown in the street on spotting my Hibs hat, comes right up to the window and shouts "F*** off back to Ireland", naturally I laughed at him & blew a kiss. Know of loads of Jambos who don't think that way, but I think loyalism/Brit Nationalism will always be part of the Hearts identity.

givescotlandfreedom
27-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Travelling to the game tonight on the 44 bus with crowd of Jambos from my local, bus gets to around top of Robertson Drive on Lanark Rd, and some clown in the street on spotting my Hibs hat, comes right up to the window and shouts "F*** off back to Ireland", naturally I laughed at him & blew a kiss. Know of loads of Jambos who don't think that way, but I think loyalism/Brit Nationalism will always be part of the Hearts identity.
My group were called Irish immigrant **** by some gimmers outside the prison officers' club.

The Modfather
27-12-2017, 11:45 PM
A sizeable number in the bottom tier towards the main stand we’re singing about Stokes’ Dad being in the IRA. Morons. Thankfully was just the one airing and managed to shout down a few of the clowns.

overdrive
27-12-2017, 11:49 PM
A sizeable number in the bottom tier towards the main stand we’re singing about Stokes’ Dad being in the IRA. Morons. Thankfully was just the one airing and managed to shout down a few of the clowns.

I forgot about that ditty in my previous post from the Ross County game. Embarrassing.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2017, 11:50 PM

Apparently a large number of people in the Roseburn were singing a particular ditty about Rudi Skacel and the IRA before the game.

Thankfully I didn't hear that one at the game but I really wish this element of our support would go away and get a ticket for Parkhead.

hibbyfraelibby
27-12-2017, 11:56 PM

True clowns...don't know their IRA from the Serious Organised Crime

givescotlandfreedom
27-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Apparently a large number of people in the Roseburn were singing a particular ditty about Rudi Skacel and the IRA before the game.

Thankfully I didn't hear that one at the game but I really wish this element of our support would go away and get a ticket for Parkhead.

There was a fud stood in singing about Djoum being a disgusting racial slur that rhymes with Cameroon, Stokes' dad and the Skacel song. Our support at Tynecastle is often riddled with drunken knuckle draggers.

CraigHibee
27-12-2017, 11:59 PM
With the exception of a few folk singing the stokes dad song after the match on the way out I've never heard any kind of sectarian singing from us in donkeys years, last time I remember a song would be early 90's "forever and ever we'll follow the boys" never hear it now

Sir David Gray
28-12-2017, 12:18 AM
With the exception of a few folk singing the stokes dad song after the match on the way out I've never heard any kind of sectarian singing from us in donkeys years, last time I remember a song would be early 90's "forever and ever we'll follow the boys" never hear it now

I've heard that one sung a few times at away games. I wouldn't say it's sung by the majority but I've definitely heard it.

woodyhfc4892
28-12-2017, 01:05 AM
Hearts fans pretending to be ‘the rangers’ fans? Nah never...

Austinho
28-12-2017, 03:33 AM
I mean in fairness to them, what else are they supposed to sing? They only have about 2 songs that aren’t sectarian.

Brizo
28-12-2017, 07:29 AM
You've got to remember we were subjected to all sorts of anti-Catholic nonsense at away games in the 60s and 70s. Apart from Ibrox, the worst offenders were whenever we visited Brockville, Broomfield and Dens

That's a good point.You can't look at Hibs in isolation when it came to singing sectarian stuff back in the day.It was commonplace with a lot of supports having a substantial diet Hun songbook.I would add Motherwell and Killie to your list.

As to the Hertz I've always maintained they have a much larger diet Hun element than they like to admit.It may be a minority but it's a sizeable minority. And the majority seem unwilling or unable to shout them down.

bigwheel
28-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Being pedantic, and in no support of the chant - but the stokes da song isn't sectarian....it's about him being a member of the the 'Ra and hating Huns....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

norhfc
28-12-2017, 12:39 PM
I’m old enough to remember the 70s and the odd rebel song was sung by Hibs fans. Thing is it was different times, near civil war, people take sides and you don’t have to be an academic to figure out who took who’s side.
I also remember collections for dubious causes, remarked on this at the Celtic game as the Little Sisters of Mercy collected for charity, nice to see and I wondered if the Sisters would have been welcome at Tynie.

superfurryhibby
28-12-2017, 02:13 PM
The Kickback thread on the sectarian singing is reaching epic proportions. A good few sensible Jambo's highlighting that it's not just a handful of plukepussed fandans, also highlighting how widespread it was in the local pubs before the game.

How ****ing depressingly embarrasing would it be to be associated with supporting a club like that?

Hermit Crab
28-12-2017, 02:19 PM

You weren't at Partick or Aberdeen away then were you?

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 03:53 PM
You weren't at Partick or Aberdeen away then were you?

What songs?
Can't say I've ever heard anything I'd class as sectarian sung in my 39 years of watching Hibs, racist yes, offensive yes, but nothing sectarian that I can think of.

woodyhfc4892
28-12-2017, 04:05 PM
What songs?
Can't say I've ever heard anything I'd class as sectarian sung in my 39 years of watching Hibs, racist yes, offensive yes, but nothing sectarian that I can think of.

Got to agree with this.. was at these games and can’t remember anything sectarian.. not like Hibs fans to try and bring down fellow fans though

Hibernia&Alba
28-12-2017, 04:11 PM
What songs?

He might be referring to the Stokes's dad song. Not strictly sectarian, but not acceptable on any level. It was certainly sung by a minority at Aberdeen.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-12-2017, 05:30 PM
He might be referring to the Stokes's dad song. Not strictly sectarian, but not acceptable on any level. It was certainly sung by a minority at Aberdeen.

Possibly, certainly not sectarian though no matter how unacceptable.

skankomcphee
28-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Anyone read this piece?

http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/files/15242619/Is_football_bigotry_confined_to_the_west_of_Scotla nd.pdf

Kato
28-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Anyone read this piece?

http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/files/15242619/Is_football_bigotry_confined_to_the_west_of_Scotla nd.pdf

Informative along with some glaring errors and some total nonsense.

stuart-farquhar
28-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Informative along with some glaring errors and some total nonsense.

They have lost their songbook so have simply reverted to previously partially repressed bigoted views. It’s not at all surprising. Not remotely.

WhileTheChief..
28-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Sportsound doing a bit about Mark Walters and the racist abuse that he was subject to 30 years ago.

Tynecastle being one of the worst for it so it’s not just sectarianism they’ve been partial to.

Bishop Hibee
28-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Sportsound doing a bit about Mark Walters and the racist abuse that he was subject to 30 years ago.

Tynecastle being one of the worst for it so it’s not just sectarianism they’ve been partial to.

Aye Celtc and Hertz fans pelted Walters with bananas. No excuse then even though it was 30 years ago.