PDA

View Full Version : Team for Yams

Zazu62
23-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Think Gray and Bartley will play, tough team selection this.

DavidDavidGray
23-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Really difficult. Bartley must play in a game like this, but who drops out? You can’t drop Stokes after today’s performance do you’d normally drop Shaw, but he’s on form and Stokes works much better with a partner so do you keep Shaw and keep Marv on the bench? Tough choice for me but I’d maybe drop Efe for Gray and Boyle for Bartley. 4-3-1-2 with Barker just behind Shaw and Stokes.

West lower
23-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Think Gray and Bartley will play, tough team selection this.

I reckon same as today , but Bartley for Shaw. The place is a paddy field already, and it’s to pour down the couple of days leading up to the game. This will be a battle. One we will win.

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 09:35 PM
3-5-2 for me. Marv must start and we must dominate the centre of their tattie field like we have in the past few derbies.

pacorosssco
23-12-2017, 09:38 PM
bartley been key in previous games so id start

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Think we need to match them up in midfield and go with 5. That means Bartley coming in. Not sure Gray is fully fit. I'd like to see us stick with 2 up top as I don't think being alone suits Stokes although if we have 3 in the centre it might allow Barker and Boyle to push right up and we destroyed them out wide last time. So either:

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
McGeough
McGinn
Barker

Stokes

Or:

Marciano

Ambrose
McGreggor
Hanlon

Boyle (wb)
Stevenson (wb)

Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Shaw
Stokes

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Think we need to match them up in midfield and go with 5. That means Bartley coming in. Not sure Gray is fully fit. I'd like to see us stick with 2 up top as I don't think being alone suits Stokes although if we have 3 in the centre it might allow Barker and Boyle to push right up and we destroyed them out wide last time. So either:

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
McGeough
McGinn
Barker

Stokes

Or:

Marciano

Ambrose
McGreggor
Hanlon

Boyle (wb)
Stevenson (wb)

Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Shaw
Stokes

The latter for me. Maybe with Murray in for Shaw for a game of this intensity/physicality. That said, the lad Shaw keeps scoring and making a nuisance of himself so happy with Stokes plus whomever Lennon decides tbh.

21sMay
23-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Marciano

efe
Daz
hanlon
lewis

Boyle
mcgeough
bartley
mcginn
barker

Murray

seems mental after the performance stokes had today but Murray scares centre back like berra. I'd be happy to have stokes up there also but would mean a winger loses out to Murray or Shaw to play alongside stokes

HibeeDaz6270
23-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Marciano

efe
Daz
hanlon
lewis

Boyle
mcgeough
bartley
mcginn
barker

Murray

seems mental after the performance stokes had today but Murray scares centre back like berra. I'd be happy to have stokes up there also but would mean a winger loses out to Murray or Shaw to play alongside stokes

Sorry but it doesnt seem mental it is mental.

Stokes must & will play.

I would be very surprised if Stokes, Barker or Boyle do not play.

I think the only change if any will be Bartley IN & a question of wether its for Shaw or McGregor.

Northernhibee
23-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon
Lewis

Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn

Barker

Stokes
Shaw

Puts three in midfield, I don't think width is that vital on the narrow Tynecastle pitch so get Barker playing in something of a free role as he's got the ability to do something special. Stokes and Shaw earned their right to start on Wednesday today.

21sMay
23-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Sorry but it doesnt seem mental it is mental.

Stokes must & will play.

I would be very surprised if Stokes, Barker or Boyle do not play.

I think the only change if any will be Bartley IN & a question of wether its for Shaw or McGregor.

I totally understand why you day it is mental mate....but I would totally understand if Lennon went with Murray against that lot . they will not let us play

GreenCastle
23-12-2017, 10:16 PM
They will play hoof ball and try kick us off the park just like Celtic. They will try to press us high and play long for Berra to win high balls.

We need to either be very good on the ball - on their crappy tight slippery pitch

Or go wide early and get Barker and Boyle running at their full backs.

Looking forward to it - pressure is on them and I know our lot will be up for this.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 10:24 PM
They will play hoof ball and try kick us off the park just like Celtic. They will try to press us high and play long for Berra to win high balls.

We need to either be very good on the ball - on their crappy tight slippery pitch

Looking forward to it - pressure is on them and I know our lot will be up for this.

Lots of good points.

Personally I'd stick with the width and pace that has worked so well for us this season. Let Barker and Boyle get in behind them whenever they can and if Stokesy and Shaw are as good as they were today we could do some real damage to them. Lets hope Lenny gets the team and tactics spot on. I'm certain he will.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2017, 10:33 PM
I would play three at the back and tell them that their roles are to not let the ball bounce and to put it back where it came from.

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Playing wide on that postage stamp of a tattie field is almost impossible. They'll drag us in to a war like they did with Celtic. Can see a very similar game to the derby there last season. Scrappy affair.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
23-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Agree with those saying it will be a battle, at keasr to begin with.

Id start 3 at the back, with boyle as a wing back - i think we need to have our solid midfield three in the centre, but i dont think any of our forwards is really suited to play up front on their own - which rules out 4-5-1.

So 3-5-2 with stokes and shaw up top.

As always in an away derby, its important to weather the initial storm, amd they will come flying out the traps.

wookie70
23-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Terrible pitch and a good bit smaller than ER might not suit two wingers or any type of passing football. Lennon got it right just going into battle the last time and I think he would like to go in with a similar plan but we don't have a big man up top. Very difficult team selection particularly coming on the back of a decent performance on an excellent bigger pitch.

The team has been changed so much this season that changing a winning team isn't ideal but I think he may bring Bartley in for Barker and play a diamond with Boyle at the tip.

Smartie
23-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
McGinn
Slivka

Boyle
Murray
Stokes

As strong, hard and quick a team as we can put out.

You can't play football on that field so there is little point in playing Ambrose or McGeouch. Don't think Barker or Shaw should start either.

Big shift required from Stokes and Boyle out wide.

This game is made for Simon Murray - he'll press their defence into mistakes.

southern hibby
24-12-2017, 12:33 AM
Just because of the width of the pitch I’d play one winger, Boyle. This would allow Barker to come on and change the game if needed ( for me he seems better coming on in last 20 minutes with defences tiring.

If we do start with two wingers believe we need to exploit our pace and if any hearts defender is booked try and play as much as possible through the booked player so that he can’t make a rash challenge and if he does maybe just maybe they’ll get someone sent of without it being retrospective.

Let’s win the second ball and lots of movement of the ball and they won’t stand a chance.

GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 03:15 AM
The tiny wee pitch will lessen the threat of our two wingers, so chances are we will only play with one which will be Boyle. What I am sure of is that we don't have a single player capable of playing the lone striker role, so we really have to play with two up front, which for me means it has to be a 352.

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGregor

Stevenson
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Stokes
Murray

Subs are going to be absolutely vital and the brilliant thing about that line up is you have two game changers to come off the bench .... Shaw has shown against Celtic that he can come off the bench and grab a goal in big games and Barkers best performance of the season was off the bench against Sevco where he was brilliant ... and it was great to see Swanson on the bench today, if anybody would love to put in a performance against the Yams its him I would imagine.

Nameless
24-12-2017, 05:23 AM

Marciano

Ambrose
McGreggor
Hanlon

Boyle (wb)
Stevenson (wb)

Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Shaw
Stokes

That's the one for me. This is going to be a battle, not a football match, so Daz, Marvin and Lewis are vital.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Libby Hibby
24-12-2017, 05:52 AM
3-5-2

Rocky

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon

Lewis
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Murray
Stokes

Tyler Durden
24-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Can anyone confirm how much smaller the Tynie pitch is compared to ours? Is it really much different?

David Gray would be first name in my team. I'd go with Smartie's team but with Dylan over Slivka.

IGRIGI
24-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Marciano

Gray
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mcginn
Bartley
Mcgeouch
Barker

Stokes

For me their weakness is at Left/Right back and it's critical to have Boyle and Barker ripping them up for arse paper on Wednesday.

mcfly
24-12-2017, 07:04 AM
No efe for me.

Right back is not his position. He was out of position for the goal yesterday and I don’t think tynecastle is a place for a right back to try dribbling up the pitch.

hearts may try to kick us off the pitch. Won’t happen though with Marv in the team.

Stokes will play - also think Murray will too

Aldo
24-12-2017, 07:11 AM
No efe for me. Right back is not his position. He was out of position for the goal yesterday and I don’t think tynecastle is a place for a right back to try dribbling up the pitch. hearts may try to kick us off the pitch. Won’t happen though with Marv in the team. Stokes will play - also think Murray will too His natural instinct is to tuck in and support his CH. If Gray is not fit I'd play Daz, Efe and Paul with Boyle and Lewis as the wing backs. The latter team that Pretty Boy posted earlier in the thread is the team I would suggest.

J-C
24-12-2017, 07:12 AM

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
McGeough
McGinn
Barker

Stokes

Or:

Marciano

Ambrose
McGreggor
Hanlon

Boyle (wb)
Stevenson (wb)

Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Shaw
Stokes

Definitely the latter team

K.Marx
24-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Very tough to call the team right now but I would be surprised if Boyle and Barker don’t start this. Yes their pitch is smaller, but their weakness is the full back areas so I think we’re missing a trick if we concentrate all our firepower centrally. Would like to see quick diagonals from Mcginn into the wide areas. Wouldn’t be surprised if McGeouch sits this out as their pitch is gash and will not suit his game.

I’m a big Efe fan but RB is not his position. Very much hoping Gray is fit for this.

southsider
24-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Definitely the latter team

Their pitch is a mess. So I would play narrow with Boyle up top supported by Stokes & Brandon and play long using the great pace we have.

J-C
24-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Their pitch is a mess. So I would play narrow with Boyle up top supported by Stokes & Brandon and play long using the great pace we have.

I would've went 4-3-3 but I'm not happy using Efe at RB

wookie70
24-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Just because of the width of the pitch I’d play one winger, Boyle. This would allow Barker to come on and change the game if needed ( for me he seems better coming on in last 20 minutes with defences tiring.

GGTTH

I thought that too but the width of the Tiny and Er are listed as the same most places I look. It is the length that is different.

GreenCastle
24-12-2017, 09:29 AM
The tiny wee pitch will lessen the threat of our two wingers, so chances are we will only play with one which will be Boyle. What I am sure of is that we don't have a single player capable of playing the lone striker role, so we really have to play with two up front, which for me means it has to be a 352.

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGregor

Stevenson
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Stokes
Murray

Subs are going to be absolutely vital and the brilliant thing about that line up is you have two game changers to come off the bench .... Shaw has shown against Celtic that he can come off the bench and grab a goal in big games and Barkers best performance of the season was off the bench against Sevco where he was brilliant ... and it was great to see Swanson on the bench today, if anybody would love to put in a performance against the Yams its him I would imagine.

Some very good points.

We need people who can head the ball and defend.

Efe, McGregor (who missed the last derby also) Hanlon and Stevenson should be the back 4.

Bartley lives for these games

McGinn and Dylan will probably start as they are so good on the ball plus Dylan was man of the match last time against them.

Boyle and Barker will start I think - speed and trickery up top stopping yams full backs going forward.

Stokes will be main striker - he will have his experience against Berra. Shaw could play that role but psychologically I think Berra would love that but would allow Stokes to roam like yesterday and be creative but him dropping deeper could clog middle.

Shaw did well yesterday and Murray’s energy helped win us game last time but think he will keep a strong bench of..

Murray
Shaw
Swanson
Porteous/ Gray
Slivka

All good options to change the game if needed

wookie70
24-12-2017, 09:37 AM
I have just had a wee look back at some of the goals we are losing. I would drop Dylan for this game. The ball will be in flight most of the time and this game will be won on who tracks runners and who wins headers and second balls. Dylan simply doesn't track runners and he also lack height. He is decent when he makes tackles but I think his undoubted talent in keeping us ticking over will be wasted on the pitch and I would get Bartley and Slivka in for Barker and McGeouch.

West lower
24-12-2017, 09:38 AM
I thought that too but the width of the Tiny and Er are listed as the same most places I look. It is the length that is different.

The SPL in 2012 had the pitch sizes listed as :

Easter Road 105 x 68

Tynecastle 100 x 64

That makes it 740 square metres smaller. So a massive difference.

wookie70
24-12-2017, 09:46 AM
The SPL in 2012 had the pitch sizes listed as :

Easter Road 105 x 68

Tynecastle 100 x 64

That makes it 740 square metres smaller. So a massive difference.
I couldn't find a decent source and the ones I check had the width the same as ER. That is a big difference and to me Barker should be an impact sub in this game which is likely to be a war.

Brightside
24-12-2017, 10:23 AM

Marciano

Ambrose
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
McGeough
McGinn
Barker

Stokes

Or:

Marciano

Ambrose
McGreggor
Hanlon

Boyle (wb)
Stevenson (wb)

Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Shaw
Stokes

2nd Option for me. We cannot risk David Gray yet. But I'm also concerned about Bartley's fitness. His shoulder needs an operation very soon, and any knock could see him off the pitch again.

Zazu62
24-12-2017, 10:27 AM
If they came to Easter Road with 2 tricky wingers like Boyle and Barker I would be worried but I’m not sure we can play them on a tattle field at the PBS

we are hibs
24-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
bartley
mcginn

boyle
stokes
barker

make sure Boyle and barker are up supporting stokes, barker to target whatever humpty left back they have. Boyle to do the same on the other side. Bartley to come in and add physical presence in what will be a massive battle rather than a football game like at ER. Gray in and back to a simple back 4. Efe out as the thought of him on a bobbly pitch makes me nervous. Solid back four, solid midfield with a bit of flair in mcgeouch. Pace upfront with a classy, clinical finisher. Bring them on

ancient hibee
24-12-2017, 11:59 AM
McGregor will need to sharpen up.He was particularly poor in the first half yesterday and hasn't looked himself since he returned.If Gray's not fully fit he can't play in a game like this. For me Barker starts on the bench and Murray on from the start.Hanlon and Ambrose will not be able to bring the ball forward as they did so effectively yesterday and hopefully Lennon will drum into them the danger of trying to run through the middle of a terrible pitch.

where'stheslope
24-12-2017, 12:22 PM
I don't think 3 at the back is a goer, they showed against Celtic that 3 can be got at, and if Efe has a bad game it could end up a nasty loss!

Think a back 4 with 4 in midfield and Stokes and Shaw up front, should take the sting out of the high pressing game and give the back 4 more cover!

Always remember, when you've not won a Derby for a long time you are really up for it, and they will be fighting for everything, so please have a good game Referee!!!

Billy Whizz
24-12-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't think 3 at the back is a goer, they showed against Celtic that 3 can be got at, and if Efe has a bad game it could end up a nasty loss!

Think a back 4 with 4 in midfield and Stokes and Shaw up front, should take the sting out of the high pressing game and give the back 4 more cover!

Always remember, when you've not won a Derby for a long time you are really up for it, and they will be fighting for everything, so please have a good game Referee!!!

I didn’t see the game, but thought Celtic played 433 against them
Back 4 of Lustig, Simunovic, Boyata and Tierney?

Glesgahibby
24-12-2017, 05:00 PM
3-5-2

Rocky

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon

Lewis
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Murray
Stokes

This for me,with this team and formation i think they will try to physicaly keep us quiet.
This will result in early yellows followed by at least one red card.they cant handle pace and keeps us up the park for long spells.
Im very confident of a 2 goal win at least :-)

Aldo
24-12-2017, 05:11 PM
I didn’t see the game, but thought Celtic played 433 against them Back 4 of Lustig, Simunovic, Boyata and Tierney?

They did indeed play a back four with the players you have mentioned.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2017, 05:14 PM
I'd be inclined to go with a 352 on the tattie field. However, I think we've been poor when we've played with a back 3 this season.

Bartley has to play, if he does then we will get more from McGinn in particular.

I'm really not sure what we'll do.

Arch Stanton
24-12-2017, 05:33 PM
I know it isn't going to happen but I'd love to see Murray up top with Shaw - long balls to these two and Boyle would run Berra ragged, And there is no point in trying to play nice football on that pitch.

I just think that Shaw would complement Murray every bit as much as he does Stokes - his positioning is class whereas Stokes and Murray tend to follow the ball more.

Blaster
24-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Rocky

Ambrose
Mcgregor
Hanlon

Gray
McGeough
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Boyle
Stokes

Billy Whizz
24-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I know it isn't going to happen but I'd love to see Murray up top with Shaw - long balls to these two and Boyle would run Berra ragged, And there is no point in trying to play nice football on that pitch.

I just think that Shaw would complement Murray every bit as much as he does Stokes - his positioning is class whereas Stokes and Murray tend to follow the ball more.
Murray and Shaw don’t work, both started against Rangers, but make runs into similar areas