PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 23 December)

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Last week’s drubbing at Pittodrie caused quite a downturn in my mood, in relation to how things are going for us this season. I brooded on it for a few days, disappointed that there wasn’t even one crumb of comfort to think of in a positive sense, but slowly I came round to the view that we’d had two very high intensity challenges in facing both Celtic and the Rangers before we seemed to completely run out of steam against the Dons. On reflection I’d have settled for losing to Celtic, where we fought hard for a point many felt our play didn’t deserve and cuffing the Rangers where we most definitely deserved all three points. As it was, one point from the three games was a poor return but it must be taken into account that even after that poor run, our league position was impressive and surely about where we could expect to be at this stage.

Having watched a quite breathtaking 3-3 draw when Arsenal faced Liverpool in the EPL on Friday night, I wasn’t convinced I’d witness the same kind of intensity when Hibs lined up to play Ross County and right enough, it was no Christmas cracker but what it was, was a deserved three points and a gutsy performance in having to come from behind against a team set up to simply frustrate their opponents.

Hibs started brightly and from the off they got at the County defence but the final ball wasn’t quite right as young Oli Shaw, who had a fantastic game in my opinion, toiled manfully to bring team mates into play. Playing three at the back cost us after about fifteen minutes when a driven cross eluded everyone in the middle and reached Chris Eagles at the back post. Eagles had all the time in the world to take a touch before drilling the ball low into the six yard area where Curran reacted quickest to steer the ball beyond Marciano although Rocky got a touch but couldn’t keep the ball out.

Thankfully, around the twenty minute mark, good build up play from Boyle and McGeouch saw the latter deliver a ball into the box where Stokes outjumped Andrew Davies to send a header into the net via a post. Hibs pushed hard after that and a delightful forward pass by McGeouch found Stokes at the edge of the County box. The Hibs man took a touch and then cracked his shot high and wide when a low effort would probably have resulted in a second goal. Further efforts from Boyle and Shaw were saved by Scott Fox and despite having the majority of possession; Hibs went into the break tied at 1-1.

Given that I was in hospitality today, rather than my usual perch in the East Stand, I didn’t have the usual punters sitting around me. I did enjoy the company of my brother, nephew, Mikey from Hibs.net and his sister and nephew but we were all left shaking our heads at the stuff being shouted by one near-by punter who continually ripped into John McGinn and insisted Hibs should push forward, often when we didn’t even have the ball! Some of the stuff he shouted was quite amusing and his comment that took the biscuit for me was when County had a free kick about twenty-five yards out and he shouted “C’mon Omar, get yer wall sorted.” Clearly he thinks our keeper is Omar Ficiano.

For large parts of the second half, Hibs dominated the ball and made a few chances with Scott Fox in the County goal making excellent saves from Stokes and Boyle efforts. I’d reached the stage of saying to my nephew I was getting a bit fed up of dominating games and not winning them when a low ball into the County six yard box from Barker saw a clutch of players attack the ball at the front post. At the time I thought it was Oli who got the final touch to put the ball in the net but I’ve since been told it was an own goal off van der Weg. I do feel that Oli pressured the defender into making the mistake so plus points to him for that. There was still a good fifteen minutes left after that and Hibs should really have gone 3-1 up when a quite stunning diagonal ball from Stokes released Boyler in the box but once again Scott Fox denied him.

When the final whistle blew, the cheers were loud and deserved, the result being made all the sweeter as scores came through confirming Aberdeen and the Rangers had both lost and Hearts had only managed to scrape a draw away to St. Johnstone. The Aberdeen and Rangers results specifically allowed us to lessen the gap as the race for second place continues.

The players

Rocky – unlucky at the goal but the County player was so close to the net it would have been a miracle if he’d saved it. Rocky’s had some stick recently because of errors made but in the 3-3 draw I mentioned earlier, both Mignolet and Cech made shocking errors, proving that keepers are indeed fallible.

Efe – one specific Efe moment and a few that could easily have become Efe moments but overall I thought he played well. Last week there were howls of derision from Aberdeen fans when Efe was on the ball. Today, when some felt he wasn’t playing the ball forward quickly enough, the noise level of displeasure went up which cannot be a good thing for the player to hear.

Daz – despite Billy McKay barging into him every time they challenged for a high ball, Daz was excellent in the air and deserved better protection from an inept referee, more of whom later.

Paul – was excellent throughout, reading the game well and distributing the ball intelligently. It’s become the norm from Paul and we just take it for granted which is a shame because his quality can sometimes go unheralded.

Boyler – Martin had a fantastic first half and on occasion he ran the County defenders ragged. It’s a shame he missed two chances that were effectively one-on-one’s but it’s heartening that he was in place to attempt them, rather than on his heels which occurred a few times at Pittodrie.

Dylan – I thought the wee man was great today. He uses the ball so intelligently, is dogged in the challenge and very good in the air given his lack of height. One particular ball to send Stokes through was truly outstanding.

SLM – despite the claims of “Omar’s” adviser, I thought SJM did well today and never stopped trying to drive us forward. If I had any complaint about his contribution it’s that his corners and free kicks are generally of poor quality and for a player of his ability that’s a bit of a mystery.

Lewis – once again the wee man was on the top of his game both defensively and as the wide left man in a midfield of five with numerous forays forward. Midway into the second half he combined brilliantly with Stokes, releasing the striker in the box with a slide rule pass.

Brandon – it seems that breathtaking is my word of the day as on a number of occasions, Brandon made breathtaking runs at the County defence and literally had them terrified of challenging him. One minor gripe is that I feel he has to be a bit braver in fifty/fifty situations; he’s done it before but he needs to do it more often.

Stokesy – ex-Hibee Ian Murray was a guest speaker in hospitality and before the game he suggested that Stokesy would show his true worth today and it has to be said, Stokesy never let him down. I thought he was fantastic throughout and on another day could have had a hat-trick. There were two or three today vying for my man of the match award but Stokesy edges it.

Oli – I’ve read a few times on here that folk don’t think Oli is ready for the rough and tumble of the top league. I’ve also read the view that he needs to bulk up to tussle with top league defenders. Today, in my opinion, he disproved both of those concerns as he played against the experienced Andrew Davies and came out on top. His first touch was great as was his positional awareness and I lost count of the number of times he held Davies at bay when laying the ball off to a teammate.

Marv – big Marv only got the last couple of minutes of normal time and the three added by the referee. I only recall him touching the ball once and that was when his header fell kindly for a County player but thankfully no harm was done.

Neil – got it spot on today with both his selection and tactics. Sitting in the West Lower I was able to watch him in his technical area and reckon he must go home exhausted after a game because he never sits still!

The ref – Nick Walsh was poor today, for both teams and not just Hibs. I don’t think he played the advantage rule once and he drew the ire of the home support on many occasions. On one of those, Lewis was driving forward towards the County box, was held and pulled no fewer than three times before being tripped and Walsh waved play on. John Beaton was the fourth official today and must have been seriously worried that Walsh would take over the mantle of Scotland’s most inept whistler.

The fans – I’m not sure if it was because I was in the West rather than the East today but I heard the guys in the FF Upper loud and clear on occasions. I have to say though that there were periods of the game when the crowd was very quiet. Hopefully we’ll all find our voices for the Derby in midweek.

greenlex
23-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Can’t disagree with the most if that JC. Thank once again fir your efforts. I did however think we were more 4-4-2 than 3 atvthe back. Either way Ambrose was sucked into the middle and left space at the back.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the report, spot on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I also thought we intended to line up as a back 4 but a combination of Ambrose drifting inside and County sitting so deep so as to allow Lewis to push right up turned it into a 3 a lot of the time.

Billy Whizz
23-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Great report as always John
I thoroughly enjoyed today’s game, thought we took the game to county, played with pace and width
Conditions weren’t great, with a blustery wind across the pitch
With a bit of luck, we could have won by a few today

Bit of a negative from from some of our so called supporters. Some of the rubbish shouted at our players today was disgusting, particularly at McGinn and Ambrose. Our home form of late hasn’t been great, so they need us more at the moment. Get behind the team.
Best for me today were Stokes, Ambrose, and thought Barker had his best full 90 mins
A word of appreciation of young Oli Shaw. This was his 1st 90 mins for Hibs, thought his touch and lead up play were exceptional for a 19 year old, think this contributed to Stokes being able to play in the areas he does best

Looking forward to Wednesday now

mim
23-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I also thought we intended to line up as a back 4 but a combination of Ambrose drifting inside and County sitting so deep so as to allow Lewis to push right up turned it into a 3 a lot of the time.

We did line up as a back 4, but Efe ain't a right back.

brianmc
23-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Opinions eh?
I agree with almost all of your player observations Johnny but I totally disagree with your assessment of the ref (bizarre, I know).

I thought the ref had a really good game. He was always in charge, booked the players that needed booked, gave himself a second or two to see if there was an advantage to the fouled team before calling play back, had a quiet word with the players that needed it and never, at any point, looked like he thought we were there to watch him.

Best referee's performance at ER this season 😮

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Opinions eh?
I agree with almost all of your player observations Johnny but I totally disagree with your assessment of the ref (bizarre, I know).

I thought the ref had a really good game. He was always in charge, booked the players that needed booked, gave himself a second or two to see if there was an advantage to the fouled team before calling play back, had a quiet word with the players that needed it and never, at any point, looked like he thought we were there to watch him.

Opinions :greengrin

Onceinawhile
23-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Opinions eh?

My opinion would be closer to yours, but judging by the people around me, we were in a minority.

Usually agree with the majority of your post johnnyboy,but the idea that either efe or mcginn I just can't reconcile. Sjm found about one pass all day and efe cost us the goal by challenging for a ball he never had a chance of (And he shouldn't have been going for)

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 08:45 PM
My opinion would be closer to yours, but judging by the people around me, we were in a minority.

Usually agree with the majority of your post johnnyboy,but the idea that either efe or mcginn I just can't reconcile. Sjm found about one pass all day and efe cost us the goal by challenging for a ball he never had a chance of (And he shouldn't have been going for)

That's fair comment :agree: Pretty much every match related thread throws up different opinions and that's good!

Smartie
23-12-2017, 08:47 PM
I thought Shaw was MOTM.

Of the players who were given an outing in the League Cup games, he was the one that I thought looked furthest from being ready to be in the first team.

He's got a couple of goals in fleeting appearances against Celtic and did ok against Rangers.

I couldn't believe how good he was today, he had the discipline and positional awareness of a player who has made a few hundred top level appearances and not just a handful of them.

His movement was excellent, and I thought that Stokes (who was also superb btw) was better today for the work that Shaw did.

My only negative about shaw was the time during the first half when he laid the ball off to Stokes when I thought he might have shot - I like it when a striker has a greedy edge to him and I thought the ball was ready to be hit.

Not sure if Wednesday is the type of game that would be suited to him, blood and guts and 100mph stuff with a wily old carthorse like Berra ready to go through him at every opportunity on a Gorgie quagmire might not be his stage at this point.

But it is a good time to have a young striker emerging, that is for sure.

Oh, and btw I thought the ref had a decent game today too. We've seen far, far worse than that and undoubtedly will many times again before this season is out.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2017, 09:15 PM
I thought Shaw was MOTM.

Of the players who were given an outing in the League Cup games, he was the one that I thought looked furthest from being ready to be in the first team.

He's got a couple of goals in fleeting appearances against Celtic and did ok against Rangers.

I couldn't believe how good he was today, he had the discipline and positional awareness of a player who has made a few hundred top level appearances and not just a handful of them.

His movement was excellent, and I thought that Stokes (who was also superb btw) was better today for the work that Shaw did.

My only negative about shaw was the time during the first half when he laid the ball off to Stokes when I thought he might have shot - I like it when a striker has a greedy edge to him and I thought the ball was ready to be hit.

Not sure if Wednesday is the type of game that would be suited to him, blood and guts and 100mph stuff with a wily old carthorse like Berra ready to go through him at every opportunity on a Gorgie quagmire might not be his stage at this point.

But it is a good time to have a young striker emerging, that is for sure.

Oh, and btw I thought the ref had a decent game today too. We've seen far, far worse than that and undoubtedly will many times again before this season is out.

I thought Shaw did really well today but Stokes was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

He was the man of the match by miles and it was his best performance since the cup final.

thebakerboy
23-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Love these reports but I have to say I wasnt sure about the Ref today. I watched the El Classico before going to the game today and then a couple of EPL games tonight and I think there was a player booked in each for shirt pulling/holding but on at least 3/4 occasions he gave fouls to Hibs for this offence but no bookings. Typical Scottish refs with there own rules.

SideBurns
23-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Pretty much sums it up John, but the chance you mention that Boyler missed, after a pass from Stokes that couldnae have been bettered in the El Classico, was when the score was 1-1.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Pretty much sums it up John, but the chance you mention that Boyler missed, after a pass from Stokes that couldnae have been bettered in the El Classico, was when the score was 1-1.

Ah, right. I blame old age and a fading memory :greengrin

That pass was Iniestaesque :agree:

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Barker was doing my nut in again with his concrete feet level of movement off the ball, especially contrasted with Boyle.

He's a dangerous player with it at his feet right enough but consistently standing stock still instead of running in behind is not on.

Otherwise, agree with everything more or less. Efe needs a pipe and slippers game next week. For their goal, he got caught under the ball, then was slow in getting out to the guy who benefitted and then got his angles all wrong and didn't close down the "inside" path across the box. Perhaps being overly critical but I'd hate for what will be a tight derby to be decided or even influenced by a Efe brainfart.

jaf
23-12-2017, 10:26 PM
I thought stokes was top man but for me dylan wasnt far behind. His pass to stokes in the first to put him 1 on 1 with the keeper was class.

matty_f
24-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Good report Jonnyboy.

I thought we played very well today and were well worth the win.

Some of our attacking play was terrific and we could have won by three or four.

Stokes was by far and away man of the match, but we had quite a few good performances in the team.

Mantis Toboggan
24-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Great write up as always jonny.
There were a number of folk near us constantly barracking Ambrose today. Who was out of position and, in my opinion, took a bit of responsibility at times driving forward, and generally had a good game. Draw your own conclusions, but I didn't feel comfortable listening to it.

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Good report as usual, though I also thought the ref wasn't shocking for a change, not brilliant, but not shocking.

Marciano ... 6 .... Didn't actually have much to do and little chance with their goal.

Ambrose .... 6 .... As usual tried hard to push us forward, but tried to be too clever in a challenge at one point and nearly lost the ball in a poor area when there was no need and I cant understand why he didn't play the ball over the top to Boyle who was off and running down the wing at one point in the 2nd half when it was the obvious thing to do.

Hanlon ..... 7 ..... Strolled it and his distribution was miles better than last week.

McGregor ..... 6 .... Not really a stand out, but he didn't need to in this game, solid as usual for the most part.

Stevenson .... 7 ..... Did his defensive duties well and had some excellent midfield play today.

McGeouch .... 7 .... Buzzed about all over the place and one great pass for Stokes.

McGinn ..... 6 ..... He never hides and always does his best, he was ok today but its no use pretending that he isn't a bit off form at the moment with little or no influence at the business end of the pitch, he needs to do some work on his dead ball delivery.

Boyle ..... 7 ..... Close to being an 8, he just never stops and gave their defence a torrid afternoon, he isn't a striker so I tend to forgive him the fact that he isn't brilliant one on one, but he really should have scored.

Stokes .... 8 .... By some distance his best 90 minutes this season, took his header well and you wont see a better pass all season than his diagonal to Boyle, he worked hard and did well on and off the ball. He really should have done better with the through ball from McGeouch though and with his other pass from Shaw ... if he had scored from either one it would have been a 9 performance.

Barker .... 6 ..... Did some really good stuff and he can be great running with the ball, but as has been pointed out he can be a bit static at times when being on his toes would make him far more effective.

Shaw .... 7 .... Deceptively laid back looking at times, but plays with a maturity beyond his years never looking hurried on the ball and makes some very good runs, even if he didn't score he certainly influenced the ball going into the net for our winner with ( yippee ) his run attacking the near post. If he is selected on Wednesday it will be interesting to see how he deals with being booted every 5 minutes. Oh and Oli mate, don't be afraid to be greedy, you should have shot instead of passing to Stokes IMO.

Subs

Bartley .... 5 ..... Didn't need to do much, but I'm positive we will see him start the derby.

Not a bad performance by Hibs today without hitting the heights, but lets face it a million times better than Pittodrie which it bloody had to be. I still cant understand why both McGeouch and McGinn are playing so deep, one or the other but not both surely ... IMO its one of the reasons SJM just isn't being as effective as we all know he can be.

Its not hard to see why Ross County have dropped to the bottom of the league after today's game, they offered very little and even seemed to be time wasting when they were 2 - 1 down, which is bizarre. Oh and talking of Aberdeen, pleasing but no surprise to see them offer sod all at Parkhead, I cant be doing with teams like them who showboat against the likes of us and then **** their pants against the Ugly sisters on a regular basis.

basehibby
24-12-2017, 02:21 AM
Can’t disagree with the most if that JC. Thank once again fir your efforts. I did however think we were more 4-4-2 than 3 atvthe back. Either way Ambrose was sucked into the middle and left space at the back.

That's what I thought - 442 going on 424 and yes I think Efe seemed to forget this at their goal - drifting inside to a CB position. Occasional momentary lapses of reason seem to be part of the package with Efe - he is a very cultured player though and his passing ability helps and suits our style so overall I'm very happy to have him.

Great report once again JB and I add my thanks! I agree our attacking foursome all had good games and Barker in particular looks like he's settling in to some tremendous form. Young Shaw certainly didn't look out of place either - composed and aware throughout - and with Stokes and Boyler both looking dangerous we deserved the win. Creating a lot without scoring barrowloads has been the story of the season so far - hopefully we will see some team get a tonking some time soon - Wed would be nice :greengrin

Re the ref - I've seen a hell of a lot worse! He did get the odd decision wrong but managed the game effectively enough and let it flow so passmarks from me.

Jonnyboy
24-12-2017, 09:43 PM
That's what I thought - 442 going on 424 and yes I think Efe seemed to forget this at their goal - drifting inside to a CB position. Occasional momentary lapses of reason seem to be part of the package with Efe - he is a very cultured player though and his passing ability helps and suits our style so overall I'm very happy to have him.

Great report once again JB and I add my thanks! I agree our attacking foursome all had good games and Barker in particular looks like he's settling in to some tremendous form. Young Shaw certainly didn't look out of place either - composed and aware throughout - and with Stokes and Boyler both looking dangerous we deserved the win. Creating a lot without scoring barrowloads has been the story of the season so far - hopefully we will see some team get a tonking some time soon - Wed would be nice :greengrin

Re the ref - I've seen a hell of a lot worse! He did get the odd decision wrong but managed the game effectively enough and let it flow so passmarks from me.

I'm just getting grumpier the older I get :greengrin

Smartie
24-12-2017, 11:20 PM

Efe had his usual few "moments" and was imo to blame for the goal, but I thought he was superb on the ball.

There were a few times, especially during the first half when Ambrose tore County's pressing structure to pieces with a strong driving dribble through the heart of their team.

I'm pretty sure Hanlon and Stevenson did it a few times too.

It is great to have players who have the skill and confidence to pull that type of stuff off.

With Efe, the good still vastly outweighs the bad but you have your heart in your mouth watching him.

I suspect that when he's long gone and we've airbrushed his dodgy moments out of history he'll be viewed as one of our all-time favourites.

kaimendhibs
25-12-2017, 11:03 AM
When Squirrel missed his one on one in the 2nd half a guy along from us jumped up, eyes popping out his head screaming **** Boyle over and over at top of his voice. Bizzare, unecessary and certainly not welcome.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
25-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Good report again. I actually thought we played very well, some of the crowd need to calm down at times. Guy behind me roaring at a rocky for the goal, Boyle getting it tight at points, Efe, Barker all getting abuse. I didn't think the win was in any doubt. Maybe it's our expectation levels but we need some patience at times. Merry Christmas.