PDA

View Full Version : Remember him?

vuefrom1875
23-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Clayton Donaldson... Scored twice for Sheff Unt.V villa.....MOTM.

Firestarter
23-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Was at us at a very unfortunate time. Had pace to burn and had a brilliant career.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Good player now. Was raw when at us but the potential was there. I think his spell with us helped his development.

we are hibs
23-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Never forget his hatrick against Killie. I'm sure he missed a penalty too?

Babyshamble
23-12-2017, 06:48 PM
He did.pretty sure Dean sheils scored a pen tho.

Tobias Funke
23-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Was at us at a very unfortunate time. Had pace to burn and had a brilliant career.

Brilliant career? “Decent” would be a better description.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2017, 08:36 PM
He's carved out a very decent career down here. Good luck to him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

basehibby
24-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Yeah I remember Clayton - the great striking hope as signed by Johnny Collins.

He had pace to burn and knew where the goal was but his play was a bit one dimensional as I recall. First touch was a bit shakey and yes he was definately a bit raw - too raw at that time to make a big impact in the Scottish top flight.

However he's gone on to have a decent career - I think he went to a lower league English club after Hibs where he had the rough edges knocked off a bit more. Interesting contrast between SPL and lower English leagues (which probably have similar budgets) is that physique and athletic ability seems to be more highly valued in the English lower leagues with technical ability a bit lower down the priorities. I suppose it's maybe partly to do with the massive amount of games they play in these leagues (46 games a season - f-ing ridiculous really). And at the same time maybe I'm hitting upon the reason English International sides are historically so sheight - their league system does the opposite of encouraging skillful players to come through.

Pete
24-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Yes and I remember him and a few others. Ones in the same boat include James Collins and Eoin Doyle, raw talents who have "found themselves" down South.

Not sure what the purpose of these threads regarding successful ex-players is though. They're gone and they ain't coming back.

SirDavidsNapper
24-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Donaldson was another poor Collins signing for me.

G B Young
24-12-2017, 10:12 AM
I think Collins tipped him to play for England. He was part of a rapidly declining Hibs side so we probably didn't get the best out of him. His career has been pretty good though and I imagine he'd do well in our current side.

Edit: Having checked his wiki page I see he's now playing for Jamaica at international level. Played for the England National Game XI just before joining us along with Craig Mackail Smith.

The_Horde
24-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I think Collins tipped him to play for England. He was part of a rapidly declining Hibs side so we probably didn't get the best out of him. His career has been pretty good though and I imagine he'd do well in our current side.

Edit: Having checked his wiki page I see he's now playing for Jamaica at international level. Played for the England National Game XI just before joining us along with Craig Mackail Smith.

Thought he was class with us and people didn't like him because he wasn't GOC or Riordan.

micksoo
24-12-2017, 10:35 AM
He did.pretty sure Dean sheils scored a pen tho.

He missed a penalty and scored 2 penalties, other scorer was Curier

SChibs
24-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Think Donaldson was unlucky at hibs. Collins seen a player in there and signed him up and Collins has been proved right. There was a player there. He just wasn't ready ready yet and for whatever reason hibs didn't want to give him the time to develop into the hood striker he has been for the past 5 years.

iwasthere1972
24-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Seemed like an eternity before we eventually signed him from York City and The Kit Kat Stadium. Ex Hibs player Billy McEwan ( There's only one King Billy that's McEwan fame) didn't want him to go as I don't think any fee was required.

Decent player.

jacomo
24-12-2017, 11:21 AM

In the grand scheme of things, considering the thousands of hopeful players who come through every year and never sign a pro contract, yes he's had a brilliant career.

jacomo
24-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Donaldson was another poor Collins signing for me.

Dear me.

There's a set narrative isn't there, and people just cannot re-evaluate things.

Firestarter
24-12-2017, 02:44 PM

I comparison to the majority of players that come and go through us over the past 20 years or any of JC signings I would say yes, brilliant.

Firestarter
24-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Thought he was class with us and people didn't like him because he wasn't GOC or Riordan.

He didn't link well with Fletcher and that was a big issue.

vuefrom1875
24-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Yes and I remember him and a few others. Ones in the same boat include James Collins and Eoin Doyle, raw talents who have "found themselves" down South.

Not sure what the purpose of these threads regarding successful ex-players is though. They're gone and they ain't coming back.

Just a wee bit stimulating conversation buddy 😀😀

TelaStella
24-12-2017, 09:24 PM

what a game that was, sure he scored at least one penalty that day, missed another and big Macka ended up saving one for us, ended up 4/5-1 to us did it not? As for Donaldson anyway I was always a fan and he was definitely one of JC's better signings. was sorry he never stayed with us a bit longer but he's someone I've always watched out for and seems to have done pretty well since moving on, key player for Birmingham previously. wish him all the best.