PDA

View Full Version : Super John McGinn

seanshow
23-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Every day John McGinn is with us he will remain a legend, but do you think any of these options are the cause of more error strewn performances recently.

Carrying an injury/illness/personal issue.
Slight loss of form,tired and ready for the winter break.
Saving himself for bigger games ahead.
Behind the scene negotiations/pre contract with other club arranged.
Unhappy with his team mates, thinks he's carrying the team.

He quickly applauded the crowd at the end of the game today and was the first person up the tunnel, very unlike him.

we are hibs
23-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Think he's going through a rough spell of form and I don't think he looks sharp, it's like he's not running freely at times which stands out more because he's a player who uses every ounce of energy

JohnM1875
23-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Probably knows he didn’t have the best of games and just wanted to head up the tunnel. I’ve no doubt he’ll be one of our best players on Wednesday. But agree that he winter break will do him some good. Looked spent last 15! Against The Rangers.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Every day John McGinn is with us he will remain a legend, but do you think any of these options are the cause of more error strewn performances recently.

He quickly applauded the crowd at the end of the game today and was the first person up the tunnel, very unlike him.

I think his reaction at the end of the game today was just one of a player who knew he hadn’t been at his best. It happens.

I love John McGinn. He’s a legend and he’s the kind of player who makes you want to watch football. He’s had a tough time more than once in recent weeks and it just doesn’t seem to be happening for him. It looks to me like he’s trying too hard to force it and would maybe benefit from keeping it simple. It’s probably worth remembering he is now facing better players every week than he has been used to in the last 2 seasons.

RoYO!
23-12-2017, 06:44 PM
He's also probably picking up on the fact that the fans are getting on his back/ moaning if he's not absolutely perfect...

Ronniekirk
23-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Word on the street in Paisley is that he could be off to West Brom for 3 Million
No idea if any milage in this or just St Mirren fans desperate for their cut of a Big TransferFee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
23-12-2017, 06:59 PM
None of the above. Trying too hard. Thought he was actually slightly better today than of late.

Allant1981
23-12-2017, 07:00 PM
most wont agree but think he needs to leave soon to improve, he seems to have stalled a bit in his progression. Still one of the best players at the club and we will miss him when he is gone

Mcpakeisgod
23-12-2017, 07:02 PM
I’ll just enjoy the guy while he’s here

J-C
23-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Thought McGinn was poor again today, tried hard but his levels have dropped this past couple of months. He played a superb diagonal pass to Boyle in the 1st half and then took a free kick which was way over hit. I don't think he's carrying an injury but he does seem to be trying far too hard at times, McGeouch on the other hand strolled through this game and was by far the better of the 2, composed, solid in the tackle, clever runs and passes and just makes the team tick when he's on form. McGinn recently has been getting caught too often in possession, misplacing too many passes and only showing glimpses of what we know he's capable of.

We were told he was a wee bit upset his move didn't happen in the summer, I'm wondering if that's been playing on his mind and may also be mulling over a new contract and what he wants to do with it.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Poor in a 2 man midfield, far better beside Fyvie and Dylan

Onion
23-12-2017, 07:10 PM
He's also probably picking up on the fact that the fans are getting on his back/ moaning if he's not absolutely perfect...

Had poor game today, a performance that would get him no where near the higher level he aspires to. In saying that, he's a lad that never ever hides and is always looking for the ball. Next game, he's just as likely to be MOTM.

Onceinawhile
23-12-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm convinced he's got a time of first throw in bet on every week.

Cannot be any other reason for those centres.

Frazerbob
23-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Surely he’d have told to pack it in by Lennon. It’s very odd though.

bookert
23-12-2017, 07:14 PM
It's playing in a two man midfield, it's hard work doing the defensive duties as well as supporting the front two.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 07:15 PM

It’s a very common centre. The idea is to push the opposing team right back into the corner and try and press the throw-in. A bit like kicking for territory in rugby.

We just aren’t very good at it.

Smartie
23-12-2017, 07:46 PM
I was just thinking he wasn't himself at all today when during the second half he weighted a lovely pass with his right foot in front of Boyle.

He's set a high bar for himself, that's for sure, but I there's no way watching that game that you'd have thought McGinn was our most saleable asset. Many players played a lot better than him today.

I heard a rumour from a fairly decent source a few weeks ago, that he is off to West Ham for £4.5 million in January.

Heisenberg
23-12-2017, 07:50 PM
I was just thinking he wasn't himself at all today when during the second half he weighted a lovely pass with his right foot in front of Boyle.

He's set a high bar for himself, that's for sure, but I there's no way watching that game that you'd have thought McGinn was our most saleable asset. Many players played a lot better than him today.

I heard a rumour from a fairly decent source a few weeks ago, that he is off to West Ham for £4.5 million in January.

He’s a quality player but i’d snap their hand off for that kind of cash. Can’t see it being that much unfortunately.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 07:53 PM
He’s a quality player but i’d snap their hand off for that kind of cash. Can’t see it being that much unfortunately.

If we are going to get big money for him it will have to be in January. No one is going to spend more than they have to on a player in the summer when they can get them on a pre contract for nothing this time next year.

Smartie
23-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Me too, and it raised my eyebrow, that's for sure.

That was a few weeks ago, and at that time West Ham were maybe a bit more desperate than they are right now.

There is silly money in England and if there were a few clubs fancying taking a chance on someone who is already in the International squad and has potential to improve, then whilst a bit fanciful, it might not be ridiculous.

Vini1875
23-12-2017, 08:05 PM
I think his reaction at the end of the game today was just one of a player who knew he hadn’t been at his best. It happens.

I love John McGinn. He’s a legend and he’s the kind of player who makes you want to watch football. He’s had a tough time more than once in recent weeks and it just doesn’t seem to be happening for him. It looks to me like he’s trying too hard to force it and would maybe benefit from keeping it simple. It’s probably worth remembering he is now facing better players every week than he has been used to in the last 2 seasons.

Said exactly the same thing at the game today. If you compare him with Scott Brown, Brown does little things very well and conserves his energy for when its needed. SJM has a tendacity to push things, take on players instead of a simple pass, 40 yard cross field balls when a short on the deck ball is on and charging into tackles when all he needs to do is pressure a player into a mistake.

I love McGinn but he is still well short of being an old head and managing his own game.

ancient hibee
23-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Even when he’s having a bad game he never hides.Didn’t like it today when he was gesticulating at players who failed to reach some pretty desperate passes.Somebody else must be given the free kicks and corners because they’ve been very poor.He’ll play his way out of it.

3pm
23-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Sure he wasn’t getting confused with the £300K from Wigan for Jamie Walker? 😂

theonlywayisup
23-12-2017, 09:09 PM
None of the above. Trying too hard. Thought he was actually slightly better today than of late.

:agree:

The boy is class. He'll be even better surrounded by better players.

He never hides - he can have a stinker, but then picks himself up and then tries again.

tamig
23-12-2017, 09:16 PM
John McGinn needs the Jan break. He’s been awful for weeks now. Whether he’s still with us at end of Jan is anyone’s guess.

Shrekko
23-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Said exactly the same thing at the game today. If you compare him with Scott Brown, Brown does little things very well and conserves his energy for when its needed. SJM has a tendacity to push things, take on players instead of a simple pass, 40 yard cross field balls when a short on the deck ball is on and charging into tackles when all he needs to do is pressure a player into a mistake.

I love McGinn but he is still well short of being an old head and managing his own game.

Scott Brown could be an impetuous idiot at times when he was that age and very immature with it.

McGinn will mature into a fantastic player at a very high level. Been a pleasure to have him.

thebakerboy
23-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Wonder if he knows he is off and is trying to avoid injury , I dont think that is a good idea because holding back is when you get hurt. I hope this isnt it because I think he is an honest guy and wouldnt let us down but it could just be at the back of his mind.

pacorosssco
23-12-2017, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Shrekko;5256036]Scott Brown could be an impetuous idiot at times when he was that age and very immature with it.

Brown would lose or give away ball cheaply when younger learned to retain it better. Him Mcginn different players but would have complement each other well as a pair. Brown was a joy to watch

stoneyburn hibs
23-12-2017, 10:43 PM
He had his worst game in a Hibs shirt today imo. He's quality though, only ever going to be an improvement.

matty_f
24-12-2017, 12:36 AM
John McGinn needs the Jan break. He’s been awful for weeks now. Whether he’s still with us at end of Jan is anyone’s guess.

He was excellent against Celtc, very good against The Rangers, poor against Aberdeen (but so were all of his teammates).

He was ok today, probably poor against his own standards but I don't think the formation suits him.

Mantis Toboggan
24-12-2017, 12:42 AM
He was excellent against Celtc, very good against The Rangers, poor against Aberdeen (but so were all of his teammates).

He was ok today, probably poor against his own standards but I don't think the formation suits him.

Agree. Seems to deep for me, trying to do too much and exposed when we lose the ball with 2 wingers against most teams. Answer is to play narrower but also quite enjoying some of this wing play so?

Tornadoes70
24-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Agree. Seems to deep for me, trying to do too much and exposed when we lose the ball with 2 wingers against most teams. Answer is to play narrower but also quite enjoying some of this wing play so?

Even if our wingers don't always see that much of the ball they're a constant threat to the wing backs who have to remain aware of them which keeps the wing backs minds occupied.

lord bunberry
24-12-2017, 01:07 AM
John McGinn is the most pivotal player in our team. Even if he isn’t at his best he’s our best player. Only Dylan McGeough has as much influence, and he’s lost without McGinn.
He’s a player that we won’t be able to replace.

southern hibby
24-12-2017, 01:15 AM
Not saying he’s staying or going but I think if he is going should stay until after cup game against Hearts.

GGTTH

Scouse Hibee
24-12-2017, 01:18 AM

He had betterr get used to that then, it's all part of being a pro foitballer.

monktonharp
24-12-2017, 01:26 AM
Word on the street in Paisley is that he could be off to West Brom for 3 Million
No idea if any milage in this or just St Mirren fans desperate for their cut of a Big TransferFee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthere's nae word on the street at the East End o' Embra but I have said before that it could be entirely possible that some

panic stricken English championship club, or even a Premiership club might fling in some silly money to the club, and to the player and his agent. hopefully not this coming window. The Baggies may well be in the bracket I mentioned though.

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 03:50 AM

1) ..... He doesn't look injured or unfit.
2) ..... Possibly, but his schedule hasn't been any tougher than that of guys currently playing better than him.
3) ..... I don't think SJM is the kind of guy to deliberately drop his effort in order to up it in 'bigger' games ... besides its not his effort which has dropped.
4) ..... I suppose its possible, but if it was a pre contract I'm sure the press would have been tipped off.
5) ..... That I cant believe, it seems to me as if there's still a very good team spirit at ER just now and I cant think of a period since he joined us where I thought he was carrying the team, in which case I don't see how he could think that .... it is possible he isn't happy about being in a two man midfield all the time, because its stifling his opportunities to get forward.

Whatever is going on he is clearly off form at the moment, but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened to him and if there's one thing he has shown its that his effort. application and willingness to get on the ball never diminish and because of that he will get back to his best, as he always does. He aint Super John McGinn for nothin':aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
24-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Lennon mentioned he was harsh on the players after the Dons match - they were tired
after a fought couple of hard fought games.

Add this to the fact that SJM over the last 2 seasons has not had much of a break either on Hibs business (on or off doing promotions) of away on Scotland duty - the guys a bit of a machine but he’s human. It’s not just about fitness there’s the mental fatigue that can creep in it’s a funny time of year November in my workplace had a few folks that would benefit from a wee break.

Borderhibbie76
24-12-2017, 07:09 AM

I heard a rumour from a fairly decent source a few weeks ago, that he is off to West Ham for £4.5 million in January.If we get offered that kind of money I'd take it tbh...he hasn't been at his best for quite sometime and that money could be used wisely to strengthen the squad. Fwiw k don't think we will get anything like that for SJM...he is a good midfielder but has become very inconsistent this season at top level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

eastcoasthibby
24-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Scott Brown could be an impetuous idiot at times when he was that age and very immature with it.

McGinn will mature into a fantastic player at a very high level. Been a pleasure to have him.
Exactly this, a dip in form for young guy whom we have loaded pressure on for so long now, he will com good again starting wednesday I reckon ...the corners and.freekicks thing is a weird one as his ability to hit a moving ball is great why not a static one ??

Liam_Hibs
24-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Probably just a load of rubbish and pure coincidence, but.. A few weeks ago I did notice that John did start following a chap by the name of Ross Wilson on Instagram. Ross Wilson just happens to be Director of Football Operations at Southampton.

Possibly distracted by a move?

Ross_Wilson7 - for anyone who fancies a look.

500miles
24-12-2017, 08:54 AM
I can't say I've ever seen a really bad performance from John. I'd class a really bad game as uninvolved, hiding or generally being a liability. The least I can ever say of his performances is that he demands the ball, takes responsibility, tries to make incisive passes and runs, and covers more of the pitch than anyone else. It may not always come off, the opposition may play specifically to restrict him, but he always offers something.

Bishop Hibee
24-12-2017, 09:01 AM
He was poor today but still played the pass of the match to put Boyle in one on one. He’ll be better at Tynie with Bartley behind him.

Ronniekirk
24-12-2017, 09:09 AM
there's nae word on the street at the East End o' Embra but I have said before that it could be entirely possible that some

panic stricken English championship club, or even a Premiership club might fling in some silly money to the club, and to the player and his agent. hopefully not this coming window. The Baggies may well be in the bracket I mentioned though.

It was West Ham notThe Baggies My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
24-12-2017, 03:11 PM
He was poor today but still played the pass of the match to put Boyle in one on one. He’ll be better at Tynie with Bartley behind him.
That was Stokes not McGinn.

yonder1875
24-12-2017, 03:13 PM
He was brilliant against Celtic and then went off the boil a bit since then, he'll be back to his best on Wednesday I think.

Smartie
24-12-2017, 03:18 PM
That was Stokes not McGinn.

The "defence splitter" was from Stokes, but McGinn knocked a lovely ball out wide to Boyle in the second half as well.

J-C
24-12-2017, 08:10 PM
The "defence splitter" was from Stokes, but McGinn knocked a lovely ball out wide to Boyle in the second half as well.

He played a superb diagonal just inside our half right onto Boyle's chest in the 1st half, must've been 40 yards, Stokes tried the same pass 5 mins later and it sailed over Boyle's head, both great players on their day.

tamig
24-12-2017, 10:54 PM
He played a superb diagonal just inside our half right onto Boyle's chest in the 1st half, must've been 40 yards, Stokes tried the same pass 5 mins later and it sailed over Boyle's head, both great players on their day.

McGinn also sent a few diagonals into the stand yesterday.

lord bunberry
24-12-2017, 11:22 PM
In fairness to John, I was shouting for the ball :greengrin

basehibby
25-12-2017, 12:20 AM
I think his form has dipped a wee bit of late and suspect it's due to a wee bit of fatigue more than anything else - he's played pretty much every 90 mins for us this season and probably sometimes while nursing wee knocks. I suspect he's probably looking forward to a short break (just hope he's still in a Hibs jersey at the end of it).

Yes there's been some speculation about him of late but he doesn't seem the type to let that affect his game - still putting plenty of effort in - just the odd stray pass creeping in = fatigue I think.

J-C
25-12-2017, 12:42 PM

My point was they both played a couple of superb passes but they also played a few shockers too, particularly McGinns free kicks and corners, some where brutal.

erin go bragh
25-12-2017, 01:29 PM
As we already knocked back a 1.7m offer before SJM had any caps and was plying his trade in the championship. 4m should be the starting bid imo .
I would like to see him sign a contract extension, thus giving him better wages and guaranteeing us top dollar when he does go ( preferably next season or being greedy , the next again )

vahibbie
25-12-2017, 01:33 PM
We really need a minimum of 2 clubs to show a serious interest in Super John, we'd all hate him to go at a knock down price.

DavieRoy
25-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Did anyone see Leeann Dempster on Sky Sports today, she said they are not welcoming bids or attention but she knows there will be people interested.