PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 04:32 PM
He's come in for a bit of criticism lately, some of it warranted and some of it not.

I can see why he riles some folk up sometimes, as he does me at times, but when he's on his game, there's magic in those boots that no one else in our team and maybe in the (non Celtic) SPL can touch. He was brilliant today, combining touch and vision with effort and grit.

He won't be like that week in week out, but even on an off day all it takes is one pass from him to unlock the opposition defence.

If he played like today every week he wouldn't be at Hibs so let's enjoy him while he's here.

cleanyman
23-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Quality player.

Hiber-nation
23-12-2017, 04:43 PM
His best performance since 21.05.16.

Borderhibbie76
23-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Stokesy of old today he was tremendous

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
23-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Unplayable at times today.

Remeber he didn’t play last Derby..so looking forward to see how he gets on.

Great game.

Ozyhibby
23-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Outstanding today. Man of the match for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr White
Hopefully he can find a bit of consistency now. I don't think he ever lacks effort, it's more complicated than that, maybe a mixture of trying too hard and getting frustrated when it's not working? Good to hear he had a stormer today and hopefully him and Oli can develop an understanding and help each others games.

The Harp Awakes
Stokes is a class act. He could rip the jambos to shreds on Wednesday. They have no-one in the same class.

matty_f
23-12-2017, 04:46 PM
He was different class today. Man of the match by a distance.

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Wasn't at the game today but sounds like he was terrific

stonewaller1875
23-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Outstanding today. Man of the match for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAgreed [emoji172]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
23-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Indeed Stokesy had a great game but not a perfect game - another goal or two would have capped it all!
Come on Stokesy, I hope you're saving a double for the Jambos at Tynie!

Mr White
Indeed Stokesy had a great game but not a perfect game - a goal or two would have capped it all!

He scored our first didn't he?

Indeed Stokesy had a great game but not a perfect game - a goal or two would have capped it all!

He did get a goal...

Hi Heid Yin
23-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Why have we started another Stokes thread?

Heisenberg
23-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Scored the first goal. Would’ve had an assist if Boyle could finish. He was incrediblely good today.

CMurdoch
23-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Best game since he returned.
Great touches.
Pleased for him and us.

Hi Heid Yin
23-12-2017, 04:51 PM
He scored our first didn't he?

lol. I meant to insert "another goal or two"

hfc rd
23-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Easily his best game since he returned. 🔥👍🏾💚

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 04:55 PM
He was immense. Had anyone else got MOTM it would have been daylight robbery.

His tracking and tackling directly led to the 2nd goal and he scored the 1st. Could probably have done a bit better with another couple of chances but he was in the right places and the finishing will come.

bingo70
23-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Scored the first goal. Would’ve had an assist if Boyle could finish. He was incrediblely good today.

That ball for Boyle was sensational.

Heisenberg
23-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Absolutely. Just about everything he tried today came off. Couple of duff finishes aside he was brilliant.

Roxyhibee
23-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Always said he's not always recognised for the absolute quality he can bring. On his game, one of the very best players in that league.

MOTM by a mile.

Onion
23-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Stokes is a class act. He could rip the jambos to shreds on Wednesday. They have no-one in the same class.

He was superb today but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hearts defence has not lost a goal in 4 games, one of which was against the top attacking side in the league by a distance.

bingo70
23-12-2017, 05:01 PM
He was superb today but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hearts defence has not lost a goal in 4 games, one of which was against the top attacking side in the league by a distance.

They’re due to lose one then.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Could really have had a hatrick, but an outstanding contribution today, MOTM.

Northernhibee
23-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Should have been more clinical but otherwise a very good performance.

emerald green
23-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Folk who criticise footballers like Anthony Stokes wouldn't recognise a good footballer if he was staring them in the face.

Aside from that, why would any Hibs supporter want to criticise a player who scored two goals in the greatest result/game in this club's long and proud history? He's a legend.

Libby Hibby
23-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Excellent today, sublime performance

Weststandwanab
23-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Worth the ticket price on its own. If only squirrel could finish in a 1 on 1 !

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Folk who criticise footballers like Anthony Stokes wouldn't recognise a good footballer if he was staring them in the face.

Aside from that, why would any Hibs supporter want to criticise a player who scored two goals in the greatest result/game in this club's long and proud history? He's a legend.

To the latter point, players that took the field on that great day are NOT immune to criticism some 18 months later.

To say they are is Jamboesque comfort blanket stuff.

Anyway, back on topic. Stokes was the absolute business today. Here's hoping this spurs on a wee run of performances in that vein.

hibby6270
23-12-2017, 05:23 PM
His pass to Boyle in the second half was as good a defence splitting pas as I’ve seen in years at ER. Deserved to be followed up by a goal.

Other than that, some of his touches, especially in second half were a joy.

The chip the keeper saved was genius. I was right behind it. Looked a goal all the way. If it wasn’t for their pesky keeper, he’d have got away with it.:wink:

Souter96Mac
23-12-2017, 05:23 PM
His pass to Boyle was cracking.. I love stokesy

iwasthere1972
23-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Only one shot on target today. Back to their old ways.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 05:30 PM
His pass to Boyle in the second half was as good a defence splitting pas as I’ve seen in years at ER. Deserved to be followed up by a goal.

Other than that, some of his touches, especially in second half were a joy.

The chip the keeper saved was genius. I was right behind it. Looked a goal all the way. If it wasn’t for their pesky keeper, he’d have got away with it.:wink:

It was the best defence splitting pass I’d seen since McGeoughs effort about 35 minutes before.:greengrin

hibbydog
23-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Brilliant today. His dropping deep to pick up the ball was a joy to watch. His technique was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. And the ball for Boyle was delicious.

Aside from all that, he worked like a bar steward.

More of the same on Wednesday please

we are hibs
23-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Striking up a bit of a partnership with Shaw

DavidDavidGray
23-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Been critical of him for underperforming this season but that was pure brilliance. Fantastic to watch.

wookie70
23-12-2017, 05:50 PM
That's the best he has played since the Cup Final and for me the first time I have been very pleased with his work rate. he always jogs over to a defender in possession but he was really working hard to put them under pressure and that work led to the second goal. Brilliant towering header, shocking miss, some sublime touches and a fantastic ball that should have earned him an assist. I f he keeps this up he will have been a great signing and I will gladly say I was wrong. The next game is a very good place to continue playing well. I'll not get carried away though as I have never doubted his talent just his application. Keep it up Tony.

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2017, 05:55 PM
I was lucky enough to be in hospitality today. After the game Stokes was asked if he meant that pass. He replied that he knew exactly what he was doing but also that Boyle would miss!

Said in good humour and my feeling is that he loves it here and is enjoying playing with us 😀

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Miles ahead of the rest today, so f'ing good

greenlex
23-12-2017, 06:11 PM
His best performance since 21.05.16.

This. It needs to be his benchmark tho. That’s the player we are paying top dollar for.

J-C
23-12-2017, 06:13 PM
That was the Stokes we all knew was in there, looked a lot sharper and seemed well up for it, I also think young Shaw allowed his to play a more roaming role that he enjoys, they link up very well, 2 very clever players.

Onion
23-12-2017, 06:19 PM
That was the Stokes we all knew was in there, looked a lot sharper and seemed well up for it, I also think young Shaw allowed his to play a more roaming role that he enjoys, they link up very well, 2 very clever players.

Shaw drifted in and out of the game, but his last 20 mins was outstanding. With a bit more bulk and experience, he could be a top player. As for Stokes... you wonder what makes him tick one game and then look pretty disinterested the next. When he's hot - like today - he's almost unplayable. Wonder what Stoksie will turn up Wednesday ?

The Harp Awakes
23-12-2017, 06:21 PM

I think we've got 3 very good forwards in Stokes, Shaw and Murray. Still think we need a penalty box target man. I'd go for Doolan.

poolman
23-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Why have we started another Stokes thread?

Why not after today's performance, dearie me :confused:

Firestarter
23-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Not surprised in the slightest. Most gifted player at the club by a country mile and is working well with young Oli. Simon Murray instead? No bother lads.

Firestarter
23-12-2017, 06:32 PM

For some your only allowed to start a stokes thread to say how **** he's been when he hasn't.

givescotlandfreedom
23-12-2017, 06:33 PM
That's the Stokes we were excited to sign. Great credit to McGeoch too who bossed the midfield.

Firestarter
23-12-2017, 06:35 PM
That's the Stokes we were excited to sign. Great credit to McGeoch too who bossed the midfield.

The best Dylan has played in a while. More of the same Weds night please.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Been critical of him for underperforming this season but that was pure brilliance. Fantastic to watch.

:top marks

Just has to perform like this most weeks. Well done for upping your game today Stokesy :thumbsup:.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 07:26 PM
I was lucky enough to be in hospitality today. After the game Stokes was asked if he meant that pass. He replied that he knew exactly what he was doing but also that Boyle would miss!

Said in good humour and my feeling is that he loves it here and is enjoying playing with us 😀

:agree: I was there too and laughed at that answer. Stokesy also admitted he'd not been at his best the last couple of games so even he realised it :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
23-12-2017, 07:30 PM
I was watching Stokes in the line up before kick off today and you could see he was totally up for the game. Said to the laddy then, he'd be a good bet for the 1st Hibs goal. Never bet him:rolleyes:

ValleyHibee
23-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Terrific performance,some of his touches were sublime,can be frustrating at times because of his undoubted ability,the jumbos can only dream of having a player like him.

mentalhibee
23-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Spot on with this post mate!

TheGreenMan
23-12-2017, 07:40 PM
When he fancies it he's head and shoulders above everyone else. He actually put in a good shift today on top of his quality on the ball which is always the frustration with him as he ends up a no show against players who couldn't lace his boots, but when he's got the right head on - More of the same please Stokes, if it's not going for him he should be setting an example to Shaw and working harder to put defenders under pressure instead of the sulking and petulance but no complaints today - other than his missed left foot volley chance that he should definitely have scored before half time after a great ball from Dylan. Apart from that MOM by a distance 💚

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2017, 07:52 PM
:agree: I was there too and laughed at that answer. Stokesy also admitted he'd not been at his best the last couple of games so even he realised it :greengrin

Was a cracking day. I went with my dad and we were lucky with the others round the table, had a right good laugh.

Was good to hear from Ian Murray and decent of McGregor to come in for some pics.

Were you sitting with Irvine Welsh? I wanted to go and ask him about the Trainspotting lads at the cup final. Apparently it’s going to be in T3.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Was a cracking day. I went with my dad and we were lucky with the others round the table, had a right good laugh.

Was good to hear from Ian Murray and decent of McGregor to come in for some pics.

Were you sitting with Irvine Welsh? I wanted to go and ask him about the Trainspotting lads at the cup final. Apparently it’s going to be in T3.

No, but like you I enjoyed the company at my table. Food was good too :agree:

thebakerboy
23-12-2017, 07:59 PM
The pass for Boyles chance in second half would have graced El Classico this morning. Got to say it was great goal keeping to stop Boyle.

23-12-2017, 08:04 PM
To the latter point, players that took the field on that great day are NOT immune to criticism some 18 months later.

To say they are is Jamboesque comfort blanket stuff.

Anyway, back on topic. Stokes was the absolute business today. Here's hoping this spurs on a wee run of performances in that vein.

This 100%. Stokes and everyone else who played a part that day will ALWAYS be legends no matter what but as you say they can't live off that and be immune to criticism. Lets not let ourselves become yam-like and if Stokes has a shocker give it the whole "oh but but he scored 2 in the cup final". yes he did and he's a hero for it but how is that going to help us now?

Today however I thought he was excellent and totally deserved MOTM :thumbsup:

neil7908
23-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Couldn't make it today but delighted to hear he's back to his best.

Even the top players in the world won't be at their best every week but he's definitely been under par recently.

At even 75% he's still better than most in this league. The trick is to make sure he's playing like this more often than not.

Lago
23-12-2017, 09:16 PM
What a pleasure to read such a series of positive post re Stokes, to often he has attracted negativity much of which is unjustified. I've said before that his football brain is so often ahead of his team mates & their lack of anticipation makes him look bad. Not so. :aok:

Sir David Gray
23-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Outstanding today.

jaf
23-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Some of his stuff today was just class, and his work rate too.

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 09:22 PM

I was a tad confused myself. If he deserves stick when he's not turning it on, he deserves praise when he is.

half.time.draw.
23-12-2017, 09:34 PM
It’s why we signed him.
Moments of brilliance.

Eaststandee
23-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Not surprised in the slightest. Most gifted player at the club by a country mile and is working well with young Oli. Simon Murray instead? No bother lads.

Give it a rest ffs

pacorosssco
23-12-2017, 09:47 PM
stokes is very good player we are lucky to have. can link play and score if he was at level today week in week out hed still be at celtic.

147lothian
23-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Stokes was superb today man of the match performance, led the line fantastic a constant pest to their defense

monktonharp
24-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Couldn't make it today but delighted to hear he's back to his best.

Even the top players in the world won't be at their best every week but he's definitely been under par recently.

At even 75% he's still better than most in this league. The trick is to make sure he's playing like this more often than not.seems like quite a lot of us could not make the game yesterday myself included. was a bit concerned when some fans around me over the last couple of home games were complaining about him, not good enough and not trying,lazy etc. he can have days like that but throughout any game he does have class touches and on his good days (sounds like yesterday) he is simply a class above most in the league.would never leave him out of the start line .

monktonharp
24-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Also, need to add, think back when he came to us as a loan. his first 4 or 5 games he needed to get up to speed. by the end of the League season though, he only took 3 minutes to set fire to a match!!:wink:

Shrekko
24-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Superb player.

Fair enough some folk saying he shouldn’t be immune from criticism, but for me I’m always going to remember that he’s basically the man who made sure we could all die happy and the reason we’re now reborn as a club. Other people played their part but without the cup win it’s hard to say where we’d be right now.

Shrekko
24-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Superb player.

Fair enough some folk saying he shouldn’t be immune from criticism, but for me I’m always going to remember that he’s basically the man who made sure we could all die happy and the reason we’re now reborn as a club. Other people played their part but without the cup win it’s hard to say where we’d be right now.

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 02:23 AM

Jeezo ..... Don't you think the criticism levelled at Stokes lately is 'because' we all know what a good player he is? Its a lot easier to accept a series of poor performances from a player you know is mediocre than it is from a player you know is capable of far better. Its got nothing to do with folks inability to recognise a good footballer.

Stokes performance in the cup final means he will always be loved at this club and ( as you say ) be one of its legends with a chapter in our history long after we and he are all 6 feet under.

But saying he should be immune from criticism of his current performances because of the cup final is exactly the attitude which contributed hugely to this club's depressing near decade long decline after the 2007 League cup final ending in our relegation. I never want to see that happen again and not accepting a series of below par performances from players we know are capable of better is one of the things that will prevent a decline like that ever happening again.

As it is I was delighted to see Stokes performance today, that was much more like it, he did all the things we know he is capable of and more importantly did them for the full 90 minutes which meant he had a big influence on the game, his pass to Boyle was sublime. But he also snatched at two more than presentable chances, so there's still room for improvement in that area. But if he plays like he did today more often than not you wont hear me complaining about it.

AZhibee
24-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Watched his goal again on Hibs TV highlights, that was powerful!:flag:

Borderhibbie76
24-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Aside from that, why would any Hibs supporter want to criticise a player who scored two goals in the greatest result/game in this club's long and proud history? He's a legend.This 100%...great post. A quality footballer we are lucky to have...these lazy comments annoy the he'll outta me

eastcoasthibby
24-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Stokes is quality when he turns up and as is stated almost unplayable when he does it, a joy to watch when he is on it, get.the feeling today was his warm up for wednesday..biggest thing for me come wednesday that he does'nt get himself over wound up as they will be at him from the start, its the only way they will stop him !!

Dashing Bob S
24-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Was amazing yesterday. Take a bow etc etc

emerald green
24-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Says you. Right then. :rolleyes:

emerald green
24-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Spot on with this post mate!

:aok:

matty_f
24-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Says you. Right then. :rolleyes:

Anthony Stokes, scorer of two goals in that final, could drop his shorts and take a dump on the centre circle and I'd still find it hard to criticise him. :agree:

bingo70
24-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Anthony Stokes, scorer of two goals in that final, could drop his shorts and take a dump on the centre circle and I'd still find it hard to criticise him. :agree:

I’d offer to wipe for him.

staunchhibby
24-12-2017, 10:21 AM
More of the same stokesy on Wednesday night

emerald green
24-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Jeezo ..... Don't you think the criticism levelled at Stokes lately is 'because' we all know what a good player he is? Its a lot easier to accept a series of poor performances from a player you know is mediocre than it is from a player you know is capable of far better. Its got nothing to do with folks inability to recognise a good footballer.

Sorry, I beg to differ. Judging by some stuff I've read and heard it's clear some people haven't got a clue.

emerald green
24-12-2017, 10:26 AM
This 100%...great post. A quality footballer we are lucky to have...these lazy comments annoy the he'll outta me

Me too. :aok:

I’d offer to wipe for him.

Merry Christmas to all.

RMQ1967
24-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Like a several others I was also in the hospitality today & it was really interesting that when he came into the lounge after the game he said he had been working with the strength & conditioning coach for the past week as he wasn't happy with his sharpness in recent weeks. Said he really felt the benefit today.

Northernhibee
24-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Like a several others I was also in the hospitality today & it was really interesting that when he came into the lounge after the game he said he had been working with the strength & conditioning coach for the past week as he wasn't happy with his sharpness in recent weeks. Said he really felt the benefit today.

I really hope that's him up to speed as the Stokes we saw yesterday would be an asset to the team.

Lago
24-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Can I just draw everyone's attention to the photograph in today's Sunday Mail, it is superb, shows Stokes leaping to score Hib's first goal. Absolutely fantastic, fabulous shot. Grace, athletic, timing it shows it all. I personally think he is undoubtedly a great player to have at our club. Enjoy him while he's here.

cabbageandribs1875
24-12-2017, 01:29 PM
their defence was terrified

Firestarter
24-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Give it a rest ffs

No. Some of the criticism was way ott.

cabbageandribs1875
24-12-2017, 01:36 PM
nice hearing the tannoy at murrayfield celebrating a last minute winning Edinburgh try v Glasgow by playing the stokesy tune :)

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I beg to differ. Judging by some stuff I've read and heard it's clear some people haven't got a clue.

If there are 'some' that some amounts to a tiny minority. 99.9% of the posts I've read from people regarding Stokes average, sometimes poor, performances up until yesterday have either questioned why he's not doing better, or at worse questioning if he can still rise to the heights he has shown in previous seasons. I cant remember very many, if any, questioning his ability as a footballer.

My frustration at Stokes this season is purely based on that, watching a player I know can be a huge asset to our team underperforming .... he turned that around yesterday and hopefully that form will continue for the rest of the season.