PDA

View Full Version : If Hibs died, would you support another Scottish team?

Austinho
23-12-2017, 07:34 AM
As in, completely liquidated, no newco, no admin, just gone. Would you be transfer your allegiances to another club, and if so, which one?

Saw this as a discussion elsewhere, and thought it was interesting. For me, the idea of buying another Scottish team’s jersey and showing up to their games is something I can’t fathom. QotS are the only semi close professional team to where I grew up, but I don’t have any affiliation with Dumfries to support them.

I live in Australia at the moment, and don’t even follow a team here as my heart isn’t in it. In all honesty, I’d probably enlist help in setting up a Hibernian Sydney team and put all my angst into supporting and promoting them - even if it was just a Sunday league or 5 aside team.

Having said that, if Wallace Mercer’s vision suddenly came true and the Edinburgh teams united, I’d probably end up following them. As long as it really was a merger and called ‘Edinburgh’ and didn’t play in maroon or at Tynecastle. So in summary, it’s a Hibs connection or nothing for me.

DarlingtonHibee
23-12-2017, 07:35 AM
No

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 07:38 AM
The Rangers :greengrin

McIntosh
23-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Hibs or nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 07:40 AM
I know a guy who changed allegiance from Hibs to Celtic a few years back. He's forever going on about how much he loves Celtic and boasting away about the European nights and so on. I don't believe he really supported Hibs then and I don't believe he really supports Celtic now. I just don't think you can change your football team.

In answer to your question then no. I'd probably go and watch one of the local Lowland League teams or something but my heart wouldn't be in it. A united Edinburgh team is even more repulsive to me, absolutely no chance I'd support that no matter what they were called, where they played or what colour they wore.

Billychaotic182
23-12-2017, 07:42 AM
East fife but it wouldn’t be the same.

Onceinawhile
23-12-2017, 07:45 AM
If it was to happen relatively soon, I'd probably let my kids choose a team as although they are hibs fans they haven't been going for too long.

I'd probably follow whatever team they chose (out with hearts or the old firm) bit it wouldn't be the samw.

bigwheel
As in, completely liquidated, no newco, no admin, just gone. Would you be transfer your allegiances to another club, and if so, which one?

Saw this as a discussion elsewhere, and thought it was interesting. For me, the idea of buying another Scottish team’s jersey and showing up to their games is something I can’t fathom. QotS are the only semi close professional team to where I grew up, but I don’t have any affiliation with Dumfries to support them.

I live in Australia at the moment, and don’t even follow a team here as my heart isn’t in it. In all honesty, I’d probably enlist help in setting up a Hibernian Sydney team and put all my angst into supporting and promoting them - even if it was just a Sunday league or 5 aside team.

Having said that, if Wallace Mercer’s vision suddenly came true and the Edinburgh teams united, I’d probably end up following them. As long as it really was a merger and called ‘Edinburgh’ and didn’t play in maroon or at Tynecastle. So in summary, it’s a Hibs connection or nothing for me.

oh God no....the MK Dons of Scottish football -couldn't think of anything worse

...would pick a junior/lowland league team to follow...

lyonhibs
Absolutely no chance. Might take an interest in how Dunfermline are doing as my dad in law is from there but nothing even vaguely like Hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Never in a million years. I would give up football altogether

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Serious answer is no, I wouldn't follow another Scottish side. I'd probably just go around the lower divisions as a neutral, taking in the odd game which took my fancy, but in truth Scottish football would be dead to me. I'd go all in with the great Manchester United :agree:

Carheenlea
23-12-2017, 07:51 AM
I can take or leave football these days - go home and away to watch Hibs but that's where my interest in football pretty much begins and ends.

AltheHibby
23-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Technically, yes, I would. I say "technically " because it would be Berwick. I love the place and have gone along to support the team a few times.

Elephant Stone
23-12-2017, 07:56 AM
I'd be over at the single-tier tin can belting out "we hate the Hibs, they made us spew up"

West lower
23-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Having stared down the barrel of a gun in 1990, just thinking of it again makes me angry. I would have walked away then, and it would be the same now. It’s Hibs or nothing.

Fortunately, we are in much safer hands now, so egotistical folk like Wallace Mercer would find it much more difficult to kick us in the gonads.

Waxy
23-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Meadowbank thistle

Northernhibee
23-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Arbroath, spent some time living there and still look out for their scores.

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Arbroath, spent some time living there and still look out for their scores.

Whit, when they play in THAT colour? :greengrin

stonewaller1875
23-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Probably Edinburgh City if pushed, but if Hibs were no more my [emoji813] would be broken, forever

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

fat freddy
23-12-2017, 08:02 AM
I know a former rangers fan who now travels all over the country going to see different teams each week. He has now attended matches at almost every stadium in the four divisions and once he has completed his task of visiting every stadium he intends to do the junior leagues. I get quite envious of his stories about the weird and wonderful characters that he encounters on his travels so I reckon I might do something similar if Hibs ever went bust.

Northernhibee
23-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Whit, when they play in THAT colour? :greengrin

I went with old friends of mine to one of their games last season and they bought me a scarf especially.

Didn't wear it, mind.

bigwheel
23-12-2017, 08:04 AM
I know a former rangers fan who now travels all over the country going to see different teams each week. He has now attended matches at almost every stadium in the four divisions and once he has completed his task of visiting every stadium he intends to do the junior leagues. I get quite envious of his stories about the weird and wonderful characters that he encounters on his travels so I reckon I might do something similar if Hibs ever went bust.

sounds fun that - just enjoying football...

Souter96Mac
23-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Maybe no one in Scotland, follow non league football in the North East of England so would probably continue

West lower
23-12-2017, 08:10 AM

He could have done this watching the new club .

stoneyburn hibs
23-12-2017, 08:12 AM
I very much doubt it.

Frazerbob
23-12-2017, 08:14 AM
I don’t even get how folk have an English team. Hibs and Scotland, that’s it.

I’d possibly still go to games, probably lower and non league, just for the beers and social side. I wouldn’t have the emotional attachment.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
23-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Probably Edinburgh City if pushed, but if Hibs were no more my [emoji813] would be broken, forever

Id probably be the same - encourage my kids to follow Edinburfh City - but it would be a poor substitute.

The reality is i would probably just find something else to do on a saturday.

Maybe yoy can get a (restricted view, obviously) season ticket for the away end at tynie...

dhmf
23-12-2017, 08:17 AM
I'd watch the Binos as I was brought up near Stirling but wouldn't be the same.

stonewaller1875
23-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Id probably be the same - encourage my kids to follow Edinburfh City - but it would be a poor substitute.

The reality is i would probably just find something else to do on a saturday.

Maybe yoy can get a (restricted view, obviously) season ticket for the away end at tynie...Whatttttttttt [emoji32]

The_Exile
23-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Couldn’t support another team, but I believe the strength of feeling is so deep for Hibs from so many that we would likely form from the ground up again, somehow.

Lee Marvin
23-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Probably hearts. But only if levein was still running the show

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 08:26 AM

I’d possibly still go to games, probably lower and non league, just for the beers and social side. I wouldn’t have the emotional attachment.

In my case it's family. My mum is from Manchester and all her side of the family are there (Salford/Urmston) and they are almost all Man United supporters. I buy a membership every season and get down for a couple of matches. There could be a thousand reasons people have an affiliation: went to uni there, worked there, friends are fans etc.

confused
23-12-2017, 08:27 AM
It would have to be berwick

ronaldo7
23-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Having stared down the barrel of a gun in 1990, just thinking of it again makes me angry. I would have walked away then, and it would be the same now. It’s Hibs or nothing.

Fortunately, we are in much safer hands now, so egotistical folk like Wallace Mercer would find it much more difficult to kick us in the gonads.

The only good thing to come from that debacle, was, we had people in our club who wouldn't let it die. Unlike Rangers.

In answer to the question............No ****ing way.

IGRIGI
23-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Having said that, if Wallace Mercer’s vision suddenly came true and the Edinburgh teams united, I’d probably end up following them.

Blasphemy!

banarc7062
23-12-2017, 08:52 AM
No way....Hibs or nothing for me.GGTTH

SuperAllyMcleod
23-12-2017, 08:56 AM

That’s my view - those of us around at that time had to contemplate the question for real and I was set to give up football all together if the worst happened. Thankfully it didn’t.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Happy Christmas !
No. I’d suspect you’ll have folks that lived through the _FAILED_ takeover era feeling particularly strongly. Others maybe less emotionally attached to that threat - but shouldn’t be - who may view things through a different lens cos it’s more hypothetical and not in sharp eye-watering focus
As it was back then. It was like a death in the family - or was akin to that for me earlier that year I’d lost my father. I didn’t really know how much Hibs meant to me until then - it kinda crept up on me.

He failed in his takeover.

I believe the past and current stewardship rule number 1 is sustainability we should never go back to those dark days. Folks like me that were around I’d bet a fairly high % if not all would be unlikely to follow another team certainly not with the passion they follow Hibs

IAmLee
23-12-2017, 09:02 AM
I was born in Inverness and look out for ICT’s results so I’d probably go see them when they’re playing down here but nothing would or could replace Hibs.

Greencore
23-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Edinburgh City, or if I wanted to be a big glory hunter Livi. sadly hawrts wouldn't get a look in. maybe if the return of Cathro was on the cards...

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 09:07 AM
That’s my view - those of us around at that time had to contemplate the question for real and I was set to give up football all together if the worst happened. Thankfully it didn’t.

I had just become a teenager and didn't really appreciate the seriousness of the situation. I was always convinced the merger would never happen and it would all turn out for the best. That's the optimism of youth for you. My dad, on the other hand, lived as if the three minute warning had been announced and the world was about to end. It was nae joke.

yonder1875
23-12-2017, 09:07 AM
No for me.

Firestarter
23-12-2017, 09:11 AM
There would be some Hibs connection somewhere or another even if it's Leith Athletic.

Phil MaGlass
23-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I would probably support the Dons, family are from up there and a couple of mates are Dons fans.

WeeRussell
23-12-2017, 09:16 AM
I think a lot of us would find it hard to pin-point a ‘plan B’ as such but would end-up naturally following a team in time.

Baker9
23-12-2017, 09:18 AM
I get noticeably grumpy for a few days after a bad loss. I have done this all my life and have often wondered how great it must be to support a team, like Celtic at the moment, where nearly every weekend is a happy weekend. I would do what they do in large parts of Asia and I would support the team that was winning the Premiership. I would parade around with their top on until they have a bad run and just change to another team. Right now I would be blue, I would be City and it would feel great. Can't wait for their next game.

Keith_M
23-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Is there an award for Stupidest Question On DotNet?

Dan Sarf
23-12-2017, 09:23 AM
I can't easily get to Hibs games so, to fill the void, I'm a season ticket holder at Brentford. And I really want them to win and feel down when they lose.

But your first love is forever. :flag:

Baker9
23-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Is this your entry? You have a decent chance. :wink:

DTS
23-12-2017, 09:28 AM
I always want livi to do well as I live and have grown up here but wouldn’t be anywhere near the same as my love for this club even if we didn’t exist. Big supporter of Liverpool so I’d become one of they Scottish folk that only supports an English team

matty_f
23-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Don't think I'd support another team but I'd probably go along abd watch Dunfermline if I wanted a football fix.

G B Young
23-12-2017, 09:29 AM
My interest in football these days is pretty much solely limited to Hibs so if they no longer existed I would likely just drift away from football entirely.

In fact, I recall thinking when we won the Scottish Cup that if that was for some reason the last game Hibs ever played I could live with that. The high of that moment was something I'm not sure can ever be emulated!

Keith_M
23-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Is this your entry? You have a decent chance. :wink:

I've had much stupider than that.

You really need to pay more attention

:na na:

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I always want livi to do well as I live and have grown up here but wouldn’t be anywhere near the same as my love for this club even if we didn’t exist. Big supporter of Liverpool so I’d become one of they Scottish folk that only supports an English team

Reported

s.a.m
23-12-2017, 09:37 AM
I get noticeably grumpy for a few days after a bad loss. I have done this all my life and have often wondered how great it must be to support a team, like Celtic at the moment, where nearly every weekend is a happy weekend. I would do what they do in large parts of Asia and I would support the team that was winning the Premiership. I would parade around with their top on until they have a bad run and just change to another team. Right now I would be blue, I would be City and it would feel great. Can't wait for their next game.

Are fans of successful clubs less grumpy, though, or do they just have a different threshold? :dunno:

Bostonhibby
23-12-2017, 09:39 AM

:aok: Same here.

Craig_HFC
23-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Football would cease to exist as far as I was concerned.

I’d not be able to go to another game anywhere without being reminded about Hibs and that’d be absolute torture.

Baker9
23-12-2017, 09:43 AM
I've had much stupider than that.

You really need to pay more attention

:na na:

Good man. I'll try harder. :greengrin

Scott Allan Key
23-12-2017, 09:47 AM

I know an actual Rangers fan who is/has been doing the same, including Highland league. Wonder if they are related? Even was at an Edinburgh derby with me and was horrified at what Hibs had become in twilight years before relegation.

I have Anglo parents and was brought to Hibs by my Brighton supporting Dad who is from there and I do have fond memories of small villages of East Sussex and Lewes. I liked Liverpool when I grew up and that’s my mum’s local team BUT, there is something about the culture around Leith, The SoL song: I can be partisan to all that but any other side I might enjoy watching but I’d be faking it a bit without a wholesale connection to the place and local culture.

Baker9
23-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Are fans of successful clubs less grumpy, though, or do they just have a different threshold? :dunno:

They might be grumpy for other non-footballing reasons but if they are winning all the time it must surely make them football happy. They might become so used to it that the occasional defeat will make them apoplectic and way beyond our grumpy. Maybe Leanne and Neil will give us the chance to find out in the next few seasons. :wink:

wookie70
23-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Not very interested in football outside Hibs so I would probably stop going and not watch much if any. I'm not religious but I would imagine I feel the same as if you asked a Christian to become a Muslim or similar. It is pretty much hard wired into my life from a very early stage and I don't think there is any way of removing Hibs from me. Its in teh blood so to speak.

Thecat23
23-12-2017, 09:58 AM
The thing is Hibs is in your blood so if they weren’t here no matter what game you went to or team you picked to follow instead you would never feel that bond you get with Hibs.

I’d still take in games but I’d never be able to say I support or follow another club. My heart just wouldn’t be in it.

one day maybe...
23-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Arniston Rangers couldn’t support another team. You’re born into it

norhfc
23-12-2017, 09:59 AM
I remember having this discussion during the Mercer period, we where told we wouldn't see Hibs ever again during that summer, so it was a very serious discussion.
Every one of our crowd would have went to the juniors or England as all the football authorities in Scotland stood back and where going to let it happen. So the answer is NO.

hibbyfraelibby
23-12-2017, 10:00 AM
If they genuinely died and no successor team emerged I'd probably just switch full time to following Hibernian Ladies (as they are part of the Trust not the plc they would continue)

darwenhibby
23-12-2017, 10:02 AM
1990 and fat wallet made me realise I couldn’t support another club
I’ve had season tickets at Old Trafford and as much I class Utd as my team down here I do not kick every ball with them like I do Hibs
Said in 1990 I would just watch Scotland
However my local club Darwen have a great wee clubhouse and heaters outside where you can enjoy a pint watching the football

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Hibs and to a lesser effect Scotland, No Hibs would then mean no Scotland for me, as we'd never again have anyone in that team.

I would just be a tv watcher, can't say a tv fan as there is not one team i am a fan of apart from Hibs.

Eyrie
23-12-2017, 10:03 AM
The only football I watch at the moment is Hibs (occasionally in person and certainly when we're on the TV) and the odd big game from England if I'm not doing other things.

So no Hibs = no football for me unless I dig out an old Football Manager game.

darwenhibby
23-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Hibs and to a lesser effect Scotland, No Hibs would then mean no Scotland for me, as we'd never again have anyone in that team.

I would just be a tv watcher, can't say a tv fan as there is not one team i am a fan of apart from Hibs.
U know a Blackpool fan?? Down here

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2017, 10:22 AM
I'd make a new Hibs. We would have loyalty points as well.

John_R_Corbett
23-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Nah, just Hibs, that's it.

KeithTheHibby
23-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Absolutely not. Hibs are in my blood so wouldn’t have the same desire for any other team.
I do have a mate who used to be a jambo in the 80’s, season ticket holder the lot. Got sick of how poor they were and changed his allegiances to the Huns. Total throbber of a guy when it comes to talking about football.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 10:32 AM
There's simply nothing to compete with the passion and excitement of going along the Albion Road to see the Hi bee aces.

Mon the Cabbage.

:flag:

StevieCowan
23-12-2017, 10:37 AM
No. Fairly simple answer.

one day maybe...
23-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Arniston Rangers couldn’t support another team. You’re born into it

Viva_Palmeiras
23-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Yes! hold on a minute...
[needle scratches as the record clicks off]

So we’re discussing what we’d do if “the team that never died “ were to die.
Now I’ve sobered up the boy needs to wash his mouth out and take a good slapping with a wet fish - there must be a gif somewhere ;)

Billy Whizz
23-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I’d go and watch football every week, but wouldn’t support them

Hibs90
23-12-2017, 10:49 AM
I'd probably go to the local junior team games.

aljo7-0
23-12-2017, 10:50 AM
No. Only Hibs for me.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-12-2017, 10:51 AM

The last paragraph is it not a bit contradictory ?
And indirectly dangerous - it’s what that fanny reckoned on for his vision albeit his naming intentions were more specific regarding a “merger” he would have done well in the Brexit debate morphing it into something completely different.

Phil MaGlass
23-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Now that I have thought about it a bit more, I think I would even end up going to the rugby, both rugby union and league, probably go watch Edinburgh rugby.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2017, 11:05 AM
U know a Blackpool fan?? Down here

I know quite a few. :wink:

1875STEVE
23-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Probably not, but id most likely go watch Edinburgh City or one of the fife clubs for my football fix.

Don't think id "support" them.

Newcastlehibby
23-12-2017, 11:11 AM
No.

stu in nottingham
23-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Not 'support' I'd probably continue to visit Forest and Notts County as I do from time to time to get my fix of live football. I don't have that 'feeling' for them though and the pleasure I might get from seeing them do well is to see friends happy.

One would imagine that some sort of phoenix Hibernian club would spring up at a low level and I'd support them definitely.

iwasthere1972
23-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Maybe if I was a lot younger but as I'm not the answer has got to be no. Maybe take up a hobby like watching English football in the pub at the weekend. That appears to be very popular at the moment. Maybe even punch the air when my 'favourite for this season' team score.

CockneyRebel
23-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Couldn’t support another team, but I believe the strength of feeling is so deep for Hibs from so many that we would likely form from the ground up again, somehow.

This would happen as surely as night follows day.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Id pick celtic since we created them

Billy McKirdy
23-12-2017, 12:22 PM
If the club as we know it died I think we as a support would simply start up a new club called Hibernian.
I remember at the time of the Mercer affair there was talk of any new incarnation of Hibs being offered the use of Meadowbank Stadium, in fact I remember clearly that the council were very keen at the time to support that scenario, whatever happened if we as a club died there is zero chance that a new club wouldn’t start up.
It would

Hibrandenburg
23-12-2017, 12:23 PM
The only reason I still follow football is because I was a Hibby before I even understood what football was. I've tried to get interested in local teams wherever I've lived but without the Hibs element I just can't get into it and no matter how good the football is the X factor or Hibs factor is missing. I guess I need the attachment to enjoy the game.

One Day Soon
23-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Never in a million years. I would give up football altogether

Absolutely this. I'd watch footie on the telly generally out of interest but confine any real passion to waiting for World Cups to come around when I support Italy.

cleanyman
23-12-2017, 12:36 PM
A football club never dies.

erin go bragh
23-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I would never attend a football match again .

My_Wife_Camille
23-12-2017, 12:39 PM
probably Rangers. My dad is a Rangers man so always had a soft spot for them

snooky
23-12-2017, 12:40 PM
I'd follow the Juniors, as I did for a while in the late 70's.

heretoday
23-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Dundee United. The Arabs.

Phil MaGlass
23-12-2017, 12:51 PM
oops

heretoday
23-12-2017, 12:52 PM

That's honest. :agree:

madsen5
23-12-2017, 01:21 PM
as in, completely liquidated, no newco, no admin, just gone. Would you be transfer your allegiances to another club, and if so, which one?

Saw this as a discussion elsewhere, and thought it was interesting. For me, the idea of buying another scottish team’s jersey and showing up to their games is something i can’t fathom. Qots are the only semi close professional team to where i grew up, but i don’t have any affiliation with dumfries to support them.

I live in australia at the moment, and don’t even follow a team here as my heart isn’t in it. In all honesty, i’d probably enlist help in setting up a hibernian sydney team and put all my angst into supporting and promoting them - even if it was just a sunday league or 5 aside team.

Having said that, if wallace mercer’s vision suddenly came true and the edinburgh teams united, i’d probably end up following them. As long as it really was a merger and called ‘edinburgh’ and didn’t play in maroon or at tynecastle. So in summary, it’s a hibs connection or nothing for me.

no !!!!!!!

Jack Hackett
23-12-2017, 01:22 PM
No

Hi Heid Yin
23-12-2017, 04:38 PM

You mean like Sevco/The Rangers? - somehow convince ourselves that it's still the same club and we miraculously inherit an entire silverware history

We could then call ourselves Costco/The Hibernian!:hmmm:

Curly1875
23-12-2017, 04:41 PM
A football club never dies.

Tell that to a Third Lanark fan :greengrin

Pete
23-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Celtic for me.

Irish brothers and all that...and I could keep the same scarf!

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2017, 04:47 PM
It would be like swapping my child for someone else's. Couldn't do it.

Joe6-2
23-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Not on your life! My dad was a Jambo, and I still wouldn’t touch them!

SteveHFC
23-12-2017, 04:57 PM
None.

Would probably follow Scotland away instead.

nonshinyfinish
23-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Not a chance.

cleanyman
23-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Tell that to a Third Lanark fan :greengrin

Still going strong

HibbyAndy
23-12-2017, 06:15 PM
:hilarious

Eh , Naw

TelaStella
23-12-2017, 06:25 PM

You serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
23-12-2017, 06:30 PM
No!I'd spend more time/money going to watch Köln in Germany and actively wanting Hearts to get beat.

Scouse Hibee
23-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Yeah probably Celtic if I could be ersed travelling every other week.
My childhood Scottish team before I had even heard of Hibs.

jgl07
23-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I would support The Hibs in such a scenario!

Babyshamble
23-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't be the same,but would follow Dunfermline.

WoreTheGreen
23-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Two things in life you can't change yir ma and yir football team .end off

highland hibbee
23-12-2017, 07:10 PM

No!!!

23-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Nope and I couldn't even if I wanted to. Could never be able to love another club like I do hibs. If hibs were to go completely out of extinction I'd probably just get my football fix going along to support my local junior team, Bonnyrigg Rose as I do that now and again anyway.

Would certainly never glory hunt and try latch onto Celtic or anything like that. No danger.

ValleyHibee
23-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Not a chance

H18 SFR
23-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Not a chance in hell. A colleague of mine was a huge Rangers fan, he's Northern Irish and his wife is a Roman Catholic so he's no time for sectarianism etc. He won't watch or support NEWCO as they're not the Rangers he loved. I'd possibly take that viewpoint. Can't imagine Hibs ever dying.

hibby6270
23-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Nope!!

Pagan Hibernia
23-12-2017, 08:31 PM
FC Hibernian, the new club formed by Hibs fans

wick hibby
23-12-2017, 08:34 PM
NO

Libby Hibby
23-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Bonnyrigg Rose

KingFranck
23-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Probably just go and watch Tranent Juniors pity about the colour of their strip though ! Means I’d never buy a scarf

Capt Mainwaring
23-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Buy a Season Ticket for New Dundas Park and cheer on Bonnyrigg Rose

Johnny Clash
23-12-2017, 09:38 PM
For me it’s hibs or nowt!

I’m immensely proud of Hibernian FC - our unique history and our culture. I’m also from Leith so Hibs are my local team. If Hibs ceased to exist I can’t transfer any of the above to another team. **** it - why would I want to?

So it’s Hibs or nothing !

basehibby
23-12-2017, 09:39 PM

No - I think if Hibs died it would sadden me so much it would put me off football for life. I don't think I'd be able to watch another game without wanting to run off somewhere greeting

pacorosssco
23-12-2017, 09:41 PM

most likely fans would start a new team. u only have one team u may enjoy or take to other teams but it is not the same.

basehibby
23-12-2017, 09:45 PM
I know a guy who changed allegiance from Hibs to Celtic a few years back. He's forever going on about how much he loves Celtic and boasting away about the European nights and so on. I don't believe he really supported Hibs then and I don't believe he really supports Celtic now. I just don't think you can change your football team.

In answer to your question then no. I'd probably go and watch one of the local Lowland League teams or something but my heart wouldn't be in it. A united Edinburgh team is even more repulsive to me, absolutely no chance I'd support that no matter what they were called, where they played or what colour they wore.

I notice you say "I know a guy" rather than saying "I've got a mate..." and I think you choose your friends wisely. The guy you describe sounds like a spineless shallow excuse for a man - a person of zero character who does not seem to know the meaning of the word loyalty. I'd agree with you that the guy was never a genuine Hibs fan anyway - they are welcome to him!

Greentinted
24-12-2017, 03:23 AM
If the unthinkable happened, I could see myself attempt to turn the clock back 25 years or so and get involved, in some capacity, in the amateur game.
I was fortunate enough to be part of a superb set-up with a fantastic bunch of guys - many of us remain good friends to this day - who were all more enthusiastic about our wee pub team than any senior/pro club allegiances so I would try to somehow replicate that.

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2017, 04:08 AM
I would go to watch Gala Fairydean Rovers, as I do now and again anyway.

The thought of supporting a new Edinburgh team wouldn't be totally off the table ... but only in the following circumstances:

Scottish football has totally collapsed and both Hibs and Hearts have ceased to exist. The English FA / EFL invite Celtic and Sevco to join the English league along with three new teams from Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. The new Edinburgh team has not a single person involved with it who has ever owned, been on the board of, worked for or played for Hibs or Hearts. There is not a sign of maroon anywhere near the new club and they play at a brand new stadium which is not anywhere near Gorgie.

In those circumstances I could see myself supporting a 'new' Edinburgh team ... not a merged one. But even then, could I ever feel the same passion for the new club? I highly doubt it.

AZhibee
24-12-2017, 04:33 AM
No. Would likely have to follow MLS.

Cabbage East
24-12-2017, 06:00 AM
I’d support Hearts and Rangers and bring a union flag to every game and wear a t shirt with princess Diana on it.

Hibernia&Alba
24-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Talk of changing teams reminds of the one Hun who I have as a genuine friend, not merely an acquaintance. She is a lovely person and not a bigot in any way. Her brother, who was also a Hun, decided he could take the shame of the bigotry at Ibrox no longer and bought himself a season ticket at Partick. That was twenty years ago and he's renewed every year since. I think that's evidence of someone with character and morals. We normally associate changes of team with glory-hunting, but there are examples of other reasons.

Gregor
24-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Saw this as a discussion elsewhere

Clearly someone reads r/scottishfootball :)

Probably be Berwick Rangers, given I already follow the Bandits.

Bristolhibby
24-12-2017, 10:58 AM
It must be hurrendous for it to happen, I’m being melodramatic, but would be like losing a family member.

I would throw myself into Bath Rugby. I’ve always said I’d take Bath getting relegated if it meant Hibs winning the Scottish Cup. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely a Bath fan, just don’t care as much as I do Hibs.

J

Kojock
24-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Grew up watching Tranent Juniours so would probably follow them.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2017, 11:12 AM
I’d support Hearts and Rangers and bring a union flag to every game and wear a t shirt with princess Diana on it.You could take it seriously and wear a camp looking wig, make up and swan around on a white horse chasing kaffliks[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

MyJo
24-12-2017, 11:38 AM
I would probably switch allegiance to my local club Dunfermline. Would never support either hearts or the old firm under any circumstances

TelaStella
24-12-2017, 09:37 PM
If Hibs had never been a thing in the first place then it would probably be the yams But F that! :sick:
truth be told if we were to ever go under then like most I'd probably just call it a day as its only ever been Hibs and nothing else for me. I've always had a strange soft spot for Dundee but nah.

SquashedFrogg
24-12-2017, 10:21 PM

Odd but fair play. Can't speak for everyone but after watching football for a number of years I've grown an affinity with teams from outside Scotland. Often down to players, style, fans, memorable moments and other random (often inexplicable reasons).

I watched Australia play cricket years ago on TV and now have a weird interest in their team.

Fair play for keeping your interest limited.

lord bunberry
24-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Hibs would never die. If we went bust we’d start again from the bottom.

IlDiavola
25-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Hearts.

Edinburghs top side aren't they? :agree:

Am I playing this right?

EastCalderHibby
25-12-2017, 05:38 PM

I support at least 3 teams a week
whoever v gunts
whoever v sevco
whoever v tic
AND HIBS:greengrin

trev the hat
25-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I’d move to Malta and follow Hibs 😄

DH1875
25-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Would I ****.

spudgun
26-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Would I ****.
Dunfermline because of old family connections

Sir David Gray
26-12-2017, 12:27 AM
If Hibs died, I would barely have any interest in football in general, never mind in any other club.

SteveHFC
26-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Hearts.

Edinburghs top side aren't they? :agree:

Am I playing this right?

They did win the champions league back in the day as Romanov promised.

One Day
26-12-2017, 08:57 AM
If Hibs died, I would barely have any interest in football in general, never mind in any other club.

Same with me, id stop watching football all together

mim
26-12-2017, 08:58 AM
East fife but it wouldn’t be the same.

This :agree:

MoscowHibs
26-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Would I ####. A few years ago we all know how close we were to going t1ts up, however love him or loathe him, Rod Petrie got our club back on the up. With Leeann now pretty much controlling things, I think we are on a more stable footing than we ever were. I go and watch some of the Moscow teams occasionally but have not and would not support any particular one.

Bostonhibby
26-12-2017, 09:33 AM
They did win the champions league back in the day as Romanov promised.And what about that megasuperhotelstadium?

All it took was a box of drawings and 400,000 believers.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
26-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Don't think I could go from Easter Road every week to some shan wee stadium with no fans. Full respect to fans of smaller teams but the step down would be brutal. But I also could never support Hearts, Aberdeen or the Old Firm so in that case no I don't think I could.

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Don't think I could go from Easter Road every week to some shan wee stadium with no fans. Full respect to fans of smaller teams but the step down would be brutal. But I also could never support Hearts, Aberdeen or the Old Firm so in that case no I don't think I could.

Exactly the same way I felt about following Hibs, shan wee stadium with no fans. Soon grew on me though.

Baker9
27-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Would I ####. A few years ago we all know how close we were to going t1ts up, however love him or loathe him, Rod Petrie got our club back on the up. With Leeann now pretty much controlling things, I think we are on a more stable footing than we ever were. I go and watch some of the Moscow teams occasionally but have not and would not support any particular one.

:shocked: