PDA

View Full Version : NHC: Scotland Manager

Colr
22-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Surprised to read that O’ Neill hasn’t even been approached

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/sfa-s-dithering-runs-risk-of-missing-out-on-michael-o-neill-1-4645283

SFA probably prefer the bigotted moron they currently have in post.

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Surprised to read that O’ Neill hasn’t even been approached

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/sfa-s-dithering-runs-risk-of-missing-out-on-michael-o-neill-1-4645283

SFA probably prefer the bigotted moron they currently have in post.

I've read a couple of pundits views regarding this. They were making out it was up to O'Neill to actively pursue the Scotland post and position himself for it whereby giving the SFA the signal he really wants it.

As far as I'm aware Its normally the reserve of the pursuing employers to actively seek the manager when already in employment they've identified, so I can only surmise the underlying reasons are the SFA's reluctance to pony up the monies required.

I could be wrong but that's how its looking to me.

JimBHibees
22-12-2017, 07:16 AM
I've read a couple of pundits views regarding this. They were making out it was up to O'Neill to actively pursue the Scotland post and position himself for it whereby giving the SFA the signal he really wants it.

As far as I'm aware Its normally the reserve of the pursuing employers to actively seek the manager when already in employment they've identified, so I can only surmise the underlying reasons are the SFA's reluctance to pony up the monies required.

All seems a bit odd thought we had approval to speak to him

hibsbollah
22-12-2017, 07:19 AM
It's all set up for a dramatic return of Ian Cathro if you ask me.

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 07:30 AM
All seems a bit odd thought we had approval to speak to him

According to reports back in November we approached their association to speak with him however there's been no progress made on this. Now there's pundits stating its up to O'Neill to offer himself up for the post which does seem very odd and it might just be the money involved is the core negative for Scotland.

Pretty Boy
22-12-2017, 07:32 AM
O'Neill sounded far from impressed with the way the SFA have gone about this when he was interviewed last week.

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 07:33 AM
It's all set up for a dramatic return of Ian Cathro if you ask me.

:faf:

Strolling into the SFA with a shiny new laptop.

IGRIGI
22-12-2017, 07:44 AM
With competitive games so far away the SFA will look to drag the hiring process out as much as they can to ensure not one penny is spent before they believe it's required.

Would be good to have someone in place and give them as much time as possible to prepare, but that's too logical for the SFA.

Firestarter
22-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Staggeringly similar to the McInnes Huns story.

Brummie_Hibs
22-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Would rather have Slaven Bilic, and I think he'd take the job.

Dr What If?
22-12-2017, 08:46 AM
This must be wrong, if he is the preferred choice the SFA must be in contact to not just let him know he is wanted but also paint a picture of why the Scotland job would be the best thing for him....they need to make him want the job.
That said, my faith in the SFA is so low I wouldn't be surprised if their approach was to say 'we want O'Neil' to a journalist and wait for him to come begging - it displays an arrogance that is disrespectful, unwarranted and actually a bit comical - if this was someone else's FA we would be having a bit of a laugh and would not expect them to qualify for anything in the foreseeable future.
They are no different to the league bosses I suppose, I still feel genuine anger that the SPL declared our game was facing "financial armageddon" when trying to save the old Rangers - how much sponsorship/TV money flew out the window with that one. Even the restructure of the leagues to turn us into a mini and significantly inferior version of what they have in England.
I still prey for a revolution where the blazers in both bodies are swept away and replaced with competent administrators with a bit more vision.

jacomo
22-12-2017, 08:51 AM
O'Neill sounded far from impressed with the way the SFA have gone about this when he was interviewed last week.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

O'Neill is the obvious outstanding candidate for the Scotland job but the SFA are useless.

jacomo
22-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Would rather have Slaven Bilic, and I think he'd take the job.

Why?

Firestarter
22-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Why?

He done a good job with Croatia, impartial to Scottish football. Could be a good shout.

ancient hibee
22-12-2017, 05:59 PM

Definition of a pundit must be someone who knows nothing about anything but offers his opinions nevertheless.How can O’Neill currently under contract pursue a job with someone else.Like You I suspect the SFA is skint.

Gordy M
12-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Bbc reporting that O'neil is in talks with SFA about the managers job.

jacomo
12-01-2018, 11:00 PM
He done a good job with Croatia, impartial to Scottish football. Could be a good shout.

True, he did.

It’s possible that he is better suited to international football.

Sammy7nil
12-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Bbc reporting that O'neil is in talks with SFA about the managers job.

I really hope he turns it down. I am totally underwhelmed with what appears to be the only option. Don't get me wrong he has done great in the Irish League (Europe league) and with the National team BUT it took him years to win his first International game. Both his teams excelled with backs to the wall performances trying to nick a win or draw with the exception of a few wild nights at Windsor Park.

So for me it is a no, I would rather fail to qualify trying to play football than sneek through only to try for two 0-0 draws before having a go in the final group game.

12-01-2018, 11:40 PM
I really hope he turns it down. I am totally underwhelmed with what appears to be the only option. Don't get me wrong he has done great in the Irish League (Europe league) and with the National team BUT it took him years to win his first International game. Both his teams excelled with backs to the wall performances trying to nick a win or draw with the exception of a few wild nights at Windsor Park.

So for me it is a no, I would rather fail to qualify trying to play football than sneek through only to try for two 0-0 draws before having a go in the final group game.

I'd take dull football and qualification over decent football and failure. It's only a handful of games each year. I see enough good football watching Hibs.

cabbageandribs1875
22-01-2018, 12:17 PM
O'neill has turned down the Scotland job