PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen director and betting

staunchhibby
21-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Believe a director of Aberdeen has been charged with betting offences

silverhibee
21-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Believe a director of Aberdeen has been charged with betting offences

Duncan Skinner, was betting on Aberdeen to lose in games.

Billy Whizz
21-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Insider knowledge on Aberdeen team selection as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42445889

HoboHarry
21-12-2017, 03:35 PM
According to the Scotsman article he only placed one bet against Aberdeen. I still find the whole issue uncomfortable though - seems a bit hypocritical to me to take action against betting when Scottish football accepts so much money from the bookies and effectively promotes the culture of betting.....

RoscoHibby
21-12-2017, 03:45 PM
He took sellick to beat them...probably a wee 'bumper-upper' on his acca. On the face of it is real insider info etc and is a conflict of interest without doubt. But hardly think he'd be down in the dressing room telling the keeper to chuck one in the net.

As just alluded too, all the major spfl tournaments are sponsored by a bookie. Everyone takes a coupon these days.

Never heard of the guy but hope he doesn't lose his job over it as he prob bet on sellick same as 10 million other people that day.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2017, 03:48 PM
There should be zero tolerance of this sort of thing but the SFA will give a slap on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
21-12-2017, 03:52 PM
There should be zero tolerance of this sort of thing but the SFA will give a slap on the wrist.

I would like to see a court challenge to any punishment handed out by the SFA - it won't happen but it's difficult to see how they would win given all the money they are accepting from the bookies.....

Wheat Hound
21-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Think Aberdeen should be deducted 3 points and it should be the last game they played in 😉

snooky
21-12-2017, 04:05 PM

You wouldn't get any Celtc directors doing that sort of thing with their team.

Onceinawhile
21-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Were the games in the Ladbrokes premiership, William hill Scottish cup, or betfred league cup?

silverhibee
21-12-2017, 05:48 PM
You wouldn't get any Celtc directors doing that sort of thing with their team.

To lose, no, -2 or Sinclair 1st goal scorer would have been a better bet for the Celtc directors. :greengrin

Peevemor
21-12-2017, 05:51 PM
If you're involved in an event then you shouldn't be allowed to bet on it, regardless of who the sponsor is. Neither the authorities nor the bookies will say otherwise.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2017, 06:47 PM
If you're involved in an event then you shouldn't be allowed to bet on it, regardless of who the sponsor is. Neither the authorities nor the bookies will say otherwise.

It will have been the bookies who reported the breach probably.
I personally think Scottish football should move away from sponsorship by bookies and drinks companies.

scotiaf
22-12-2017, 05:36 AM
I personally think Scottish football should move away from sponsorship by bookies and drinks companies.

Scottish football can't afford to have that stand point,I'm also a believer that if your going to bet or drink you would do it regardless of your team being sponsored by them.

Forza Fred
22-12-2017, 05:46 AM

Not so sure about that.

I noticed Lee Wallace peeping over his shoulder in the bookie's as he filled out his coupon ........:wink:

overdrive
22-12-2017, 06:51 AM
I agree that people officially involved in a club shouldn’t bet on a game involving their own team, or a game in the same league or competition as them. I don’t get why they aren’t allowed to bet on a game in another country.

SChibs
22-12-2017, 07:10 AM
I agree that people officially involved in a club shouldn’t bet on a game involving their own team, or a game in the same league or competition as them. I don’t get why they aren’t allowed to bet on a game in another country.

Nobody at a football club is allowed to get on any football anywhere which i agree is a bit strange.

The kit man an Montrose can't put a bet on the Brazilian Serie B for example.

Dashing Bob S
22-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Maybe it was because I have just visited the enclosure on a farm where the kids get to hold young livestock, and it was Aberdeen, but I read that as 'Aberdeen director and petting'.

johnbc70
22-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Were the games in the Ladbrokes premiership, William hill Scottish cup, or betfred league cup?

Exactly, hypocrisy.

Treadstone
22-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Draconian rules. I'd limit it to any competition your team plays in.
Preposterous that a lower league part time player can't have a fiver on a first scorer in a big EPL game. Hypocrisy is shocking.

NAE NOOKIE
22-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't think the fact that betting companies put so much money into football makes the rules against players etc betting on the game hypocritical, there's good reason for it and after all there are a zillion things folk can bet on apart from football, which is why I have zero sympathy for any of the idiots in the game caught doing it.

Besides, anybody who thinks their 'knowledge of football' means they can get rich betting on it needs their bumps read .... I'm willing to bet that of all the folk who got rich playing the football pools back in the day for all 90% of them knew Aston Villa might have as well been a food flavouring.

FRes Hibbie
22-12-2017, 10:39 AM
It would be nice to take a moral stand and take alternative sponsorship but Scottish Football obviously isn't rich enough to consider it. The blanket ban on betting on any football does feel a bit draconian and more than a little hypocritical. The line should probably be re-drawn with a little more common sense.

That said, the line has to be drawn somewhere and even if it were changed it would certainly still be against the rules to bet on or against your own team. The guy wouldve been well aware he shouldn't be doing that. Deserves a massive fine and possible dismissal for being a total moron if nothing else.