PDA

View Full Version : Big Dave Off.

Thecat23
20-12-2017, 07:52 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago he’s lined up a club and Hibs have agreed to let him go. Now In the EEN.

https://t.co/8M3fivXoc1

AllyT
20-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Great, hopefully frees up a wage for a replacement

Lago
20-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Strange one 2year contract and he has hardly kicked a ball.

brog
20-12-2017, 08:07 PM
I wonder if he was used as bait to get Slivka in. Mind you he doesn't play much either.

JimBHibees
20-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Bit odd being announced if we have 3 games next week.

Joe6-2
20-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Just don’t get this one

Thecat23
20-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I wonder if he was used as bait to get Slivka in. Mind you he doesn't play much either.

My thoughts exactly.

Stuart93
20-12-2017, 08:12 PM
This was a guy that Lennon was supposedly keeping tabs on for over year? That worries me massively that he's leaving after only 6 months. Not sure what others think but still to be convinced with regards to lennons transfer dealings...and last but not least, would we be letting him leave for free if we didn't have someone else lined up

JimboHibs
20-12-2017, 08:15 PM
This was a guy that Lennon was supposedly keeping tabs on for over year? That worries me massively that he's leaving after only 6 months. Not sure what others think but still to be convinced with regards to lennons transfer dealings...and last but not least, would we be letting him leave for free if we didn't have someone else lined up

Worries me massively lol .....

SeanWilson
20-12-2017, 08:15 PM

🤣🤣 the man signed Wanyama, Van Dijk and Leigh Griffiths. Think he can spot a player 😉

houstonhibbee
20-12-2017, 08:17 PM
🤣🤣 the man signed Wanyama, Van Dijk and Leigh Griffiths. Think he can spot a player 😉

Can we get those three please😬

Stuart93
20-12-2017, 08:17 PM

No for us though mate...think it's easier to pull better players towards Celtic

greenlex
20-12-2017, 08:19 PM
I’m not so sure it was Dave they had been keeping an eye on. Was it not Slivka? They both signed at the same time.

Nicho87
20-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Wouldnt surprise me if slivka was off to. Is he better than Dylan? Better than Bartley? McGinn? Swanson when fit?

Just don't see what he brings.
.don't give me game time nonsense. I made my mind up on the running man from Holland after a couple of games and he didn't last long. One goal at Ibrox is not enough. No stand out performances. We need better if we really want to be a force. Dead wood needs chucked.

JimBHibees
20-12-2017, 08:20 PM

He didn't settle these things happen. Nothing to worry massively about,

Stuart93
20-12-2017, 08:21 PM
He didn't settle these things happen. Nothing to worry massively about,

I was initially going to say it worries me a bit then thought actually no, it worries me a lot more than that.

JimBHibees
20-12-2017, 08:24 PM
I was initially going to say it worries me a bit then thought actually no, it worries me a lot more than that.

Massively

Pretty Boy
Wouldnt surprise me if slivka was off to. Is he better than Dylan? Better than Bartley? McGinn? Swanson when fit?

.don't give me game time nonsense. I made my mind up on the running man from Holland after a couple of games and he didn't last long. One goal at Ibrox is not enough. No stand out performances. We need better if we really want to be a force. Dead wood needs chucked.

I’d like to see Slivka played in his proper position. He was far more than just one goal at Ibrox and after finding his feet for 10 minutes, like everyone else in the team, he had a very good game in a midfield that was starting to dominate even before the Jack sending off. Since then he seems to have been stuck out on the right almost every time he has played and it’s obvious he isn’t comfortable there. He usually plays ‘in the hole’ for Lithuania and I think he could be an asset there. We certainly need someone from midfield to step up with goals so it would be worth a shot.

fat freddy
He came on as a late sub away to Motherwell recently, he made a run for the ball which came to nothing and then bent over with his hands on his knees gasping for breath, I think the term is 'blowing out of his arse'

His fitness was not what you would expect from a pro regardless of his limited match time.

I wish him well but he will go in the file marked Trakys Thornhill Hurtado Vine

Nicho87
20-12-2017, 08:32 PM
I’d like to see Slivka played in his proper position. He was far more than just one goal at Ibrox and after finding his feet for 10 minutes, like everyone else in the team, he had a very good game in a midfield that was starting to dominate even before the Jack sending off. Since then he seems to have been stuck out on the right almost every time he has played and it’s obvious he isn’t comfortable there. He usually plays ‘in the hole’ for Lithuania and I think he could be an asset there. We certainly need someone from midfield to step up with goals so it would be worth a shot.

Get where your coming from but he got his position all be it against Celtic and missed a header from 7 yards in the semi final.

Personally if you asked me now slivka or a free agent Niall McGinn. McGinn wins easily. Slivka has to earn the right to start alone never mind in his 'preferred position' the fact he isn't doing either tells me Lennon believes he isn't good enough in training to threaten other guys.

Lennon said before Celtic the whole squad will need to be prepared for a tough week physically. Slivka didn't start once out those three alone. IMO he won't be here long.

sleeping giant
20-12-2017, 08:49 PM
I’m not so sure it was Dave they had been keeping an eye on. Was it not Slivka? They both signed at the same time.

It was Slivka :agree:

bingo70
20-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Wonder if Lennon feels having an unhappy big Dave hanging about could be having a negative influence on Slivka. I assume they’d be close and if Dave wasn’t getting the chances he’d hoped for and wasn’t training well he could easily be dragging down Slivka with him.

Slivka went to Italy and on loan to a couple of other countries, not sure he needs a Lithuanian buddy with him now.

eastmainsmsh
20-12-2017, 08:55 PM
squad signing with way murray started and stokes being marquee signing and oli shaw coming through it was always tough for Dave tbh

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Worries me massively lol .....

He has a point. Scout a boy for a year and release him without him kicking a ball.

JimBHibees
20-12-2017, 08:59 PM
He has a point. Scout a boy for a year and release him without him kicking a ball.

It was Silvia who was scouted for a year not Dave.

Hermit Crab
20-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Does anyone think big Dave leaving will unsettle slivka?

Lancs Harp
20-12-2017, 09:07 PM

I'd tend to agree with this. Hes a good player, might not be entirely suited to the hurley burley of Scottish football but i think the lads a player. I did wonder at the time if he was brought into replace SJM who it wasnt beyond anyones imagination seemed like he might move. Big Dave however Im sure was brought into hold Slivkas hand. NL will have seen enough of him in training and I would strongly guess, simply not good enough.

GreenCastle
20-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Watched big Davey several times since his Alloa debut including recently his 90 mins for the Dev team at Oriam.

He’s a good guy and tried his best but with limited opportunities and not at the level yet to push us on - I can see why a deal has been agreed.

Curious to see who the replacement will be as Lennon will bring a minimum 2 players in January I think.

linlithgowhibbie
20-12-2017, 09:08 PM

You could argue that it may have the opposite effect and lets Slika know he has to produce the goods if/when he gets game time or he could be offski too!:agree::nlgwa

Lancs Harp
20-12-2017, 09:09 PM

No, Slivka now has Haggis and porridge for breakfast and has bought his Mum a tin of shortbread for Christmas, hes well at home.

Souter96Mac
20-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Gutted the big man is leaving :(

ancient hibee
20-12-2017, 09:20 PM
“Scouting him for a year”.Just a wee ploy to gee up the support.He’s not likely to say he’d never seen him play.

snooky
20-12-2017, 09:22 PM
As with in all lines of work, sometimes you fit in to a new place, sometimes you don't. There's no rhyme or reason - it's just sometimes the chemistry isn't there.
Tried - didn't work - move on .......... next!

S4uzee
20-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Underwhelmed eh

CMurdoch
20-12-2017, 09:32 PM
He may decide to keep taking the Hibs money for the next 18 months which is his right

WeveGotMcginn
20-12-2017, 09:33 PM

I’d have slivka over bartley playing against a bottom 6 team especially at home, marv is needed for extra steel in the bigger games though imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2017, 09:33 PM
No sure if he was the replacement for Graham or Holt but he has ended up being neither.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Gutted the big man is leaving :(

Why?

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 10:06 PM

I'm pretty sure when he signed Lennon said he scouted him for a year. I'm known to talk ***** though mind.

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 10:08 PM
“Scouting him for a year”.Just a wee ploy to gee up the support.He’s not likely to say he’d never seen him play.

Why would you sign a player not having seen them play unless you're Craig Levein?

Lancs Harp
20-12-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure when he signed Lennon said he scouted him for a year. I'm known to talk ***** though mind.

Its a message board fella its what they are for. :wink:

Stuart93
20-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Almost 100% sure Lennon said he'd been watching dave for about a year

Yep..."Hibs boss Neil Lennon has revealed he’d been tracking Lithuanian striker Deivydas Matulevicius for a year before snapping him up as his sixth signing of the summer."

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2017, 10:25 PM
I think that too much is being made of both Big Dave and Slivka.
I trust in Neil Lennon and his first team picks.
He can see what both our Lithuanians are doing in training and I'm sure there are no sinister motives involved.
It is simply a case of one being not good enough (Big Dave) and one (Slivka) flattering to deceive most of the time.
We can do far better than both.
I wish big Dave well in his career and, of course, Slivka, whether it is at ER or elsewhere.

Michael
20-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Shame it didn't work out. Hopefully Slivka will still come good...but with his lack of appearances I also reckon he could be off sooner rather then later.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Slivka started and played well in the last game we actually won. Really should have more appearances IMO.

Johnny_Leith
20-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Almost 100% sure Lennon said he'd been watching dave for about a year

Yep..."Hibs boss Neil Lennon has revealed he’d been tracking Lithuanian striker Deivydas Matulevicius for a year before snapping him up as his sixth signing of the summer."

What do you think that means? That Lennon wouldn't get sleep thinking of the prospect of signing this fantastic striker for a year straight?

He was a name on a list, like many others, that would be attainable by Hibernian. I would suggest he was fairly far down that list, we couldn't get some of our preferred targets and here we are.

He's not up to the required standard and is being shown the door. Good luck to him but I'd rather Shaw gets more game time.

BigT-Hibeez
20-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Slivka started and played well in the last game we actually won. Really should have more appearances IMO.

I agree (IMO) ;)

Stuart93
20-12-2017, 11:09 PM
What do you think that means? That Lennon wouldn't get sleep thinking of the prospect of signing this fantastic striker for a year straight?

He was a name on a list, like many others, that would be attainable by Hibernian. I would suggest he was fairly far down that list, we couldn't get some of our preferred targets and here we are.

He's not up to the required standard and is being shown the door. Good luck to him but I'd rather Shaw gets more game time.

Na I think that means Lennon was watching him/keeping tabs on him for year and for some reason thought he'd be a good addition. But it's been a waste of money in wages and effort bringing him in.

Johnny_Leith
20-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Na I think that means Lennon was watching him/keeping tabs on him for year and for some reason thought he'd be a good addition. But it's been a waste of money in wages and effort bringing him in.

A singing that hasn't worked out, unfortunately. He's no applied himself physically enough it appears, so not sure if the management can bare the full brunt of his failure. He's been given an opportunity coming to a club like Hibs and he's failed to grasp it.

snooky
20-12-2017, 11:29 PM
A singing that hasn't worked out, unfortunately. He's no applied himself physically enough it appears, so not sure if the management can bare the full brunt of his failure. He's been given an opportunity coming to a club like Hibs and he's failed to grasp it.

Services no longer rechoired.

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2017, 11:31 PM
I'd tend to agree with this. Hes a good player, might not be entirely suited to the hurley burley of Scottish football but i think the lads a player. I did wonder at the time if he was brought into replace SJM who it wasnt beyond anyones imagination seemed like he might move. Big Dave however Im sure was brought into hold Slivkas hand. NL will have seen enough of him in training and I would strongly guess, simply not good enough.

Not the first time I've seen somebody say this. If we were paying big Dave £1000 a week are we seriously saying Hibs are so rich we can pay £52,000 a year just so a signing has somebody to be pals with? .... coz if that is the case I will stop laughing at folk who talk about us getting Leigh Griffiths from Celtic.

Anyway good luck to big Dave, I hope he has fixed up a club so we can get him off the wage bill. To be honest I'm starting to wonder about Slivka as well now ... IMO we are not the sort of club who pay money for a player and then sit back as he fails to put pressure on the guys in possession of the jerseys which so far he has failed to do .... for me sitting waiting for McGinn to be sold, McGeouch to get injured or Bartley to decide he wants to go back south before he can get a chance isn't good enough.

Johnny_Leith
20-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Should have known someone would voice up

monktonharp
20-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Not the first time I've seen somebody say this. If we were paying big Dave £1000 a week are we seriously saying Hibs are so rich we can pay £52,000 a year just so a signing has somebody to be pals with? .... coz if that is the case I will stop laughing at folk who talk about us getting Leigh Griffiths from Celtic.

Anyway good luck to big Dave, I hope he has fixed up a club so we can get him off the wage bill. To be honest I'm starting to wonder about Slivka as well now ... IMO we are not the sort of club who pay money for a player and then sit back as he fails to put pressure on the guys in possession of the jerseys which so far he has failed to do .... for me sitting waiting for McGinn to be sold, McGeouch to get injured or Bartley to decide he wants to go back south before he can get a chance isn't good enough.so, what's your thoughts on Swanson, whoever he is?

NAE NOOKIE
21-12-2017, 12:18 AM
so, what's your thoughts on Swanson, whoever he is?

My thoughts on Danny Swanson are that he has proved he can be a quality player well before we ever signed him and unlike Slivka there is hard evidence to show that, but that before he went to St Johnstone his career had stalled a bit and I wouldn't have been all that excited about us signing him pre St Johnstone. Because he did so well in Perth I was pleased we had managed to sign him because he had shown he can still do it.

He was hardly a stand out at the start of the season in the games he played in, but the main reason for that became clear as his personal issued over the death of his pal came to light. But now that the court case is over he has to start showing he can do a job for us, not just for Hibs sake but his own, because no matter how understanding Hibs have been and are willing to be there will come a point where we cant continue to pay the guy with no hope of any return.

You appear to have lifted your 'whoever he is' from a post I made about Lennon's signings where I referred to him as "Danny who?", but you are doing it out of context ... I was merely commenting on his long term absence from even the bench and the fact that if you bother to check any of the threads asking folk what they think the team should be for a certain game there are at least 3 posts in each one saying 'oh aye Swanson, I forgot about him'

Hope I've cleared that up for you :aok:

Diclonius
21-12-2017, 12:21 AM
I have no idea if this is good or not, because he got about 30 minutes game time.

monktonharp
21-12-2017, 12:53 AM
My thoughts on Danny Swanson are that he has proved he can be a quality player well before we ever signed him and unlike Slivka there is hard evidence to show that, but that before he went to St Johnstone his career had stalled a bit and I wouldn't have been all that excited about us signing him pre St Johnstone. Because he did so well in Perth I was pleased we had managed to sign him because he had shown he can still do it.

He was hardly a stand out at the start of the season in the games he played in, but the main reason for that became clear as his personal issued over the death of his pal came to light. But now that the court case is over he has to start showing he can do a job for us, not just for Hibs sake but his own, because no matter how understanding Hibs have been and are willing to be there will come a point where we cant continue to pay the guy with no hope of any return.

You appear to have lifted your 'whoever he is' from a post I made about Lennon's signings where I referred to him as "Danny who?", but you are doing it out of context ... I was merely commenting on his long term absence from even the bench and the fact that if you bother to check any of the threads asking folk what they think the team should be for a certain game there are at least 3 posts in each one saying 'oh aye Swanson, I forgot about him'

Hope I've cleared that up for you :aok:I don't want to argue about what was a personal tragedy, re-his close friend and it would be insulting to that person's family to draw that in but was his poor form not before that? I cant see him doing what was asked, to be honest. is he long term injured? hence my question, who. when you mention, can still do it what does this mean? I did not lift my post from anything you had said btw. I had not forgot him , quite the reverse I did think where is he?

NAE NOOKIE
21-12-2017, 01:21 AM
I don't want to argue about what was a personal tragedy, re-his close friend and it would be insulting to that person's family to draw that in but was his poor form not before that? I cant see him doing what was asked, to be honest. is he long term injured? hence my question, who. when you mention, can still do it what does this mean? I did not lift my post from anything you had said btw. I had not forgot him , quite the reverse I did think where is he?

I wasn't bringing up the tragedy he was involved in as a matter for a debate or looking to be controversial, I was only bringing it up as a matter of fact in the context of Danny's season ..... nobody knows better than me how an event like that can affect a person, take my word for it.

As for my 'can still do it' comment ..... I don't see what's difficult to understand about that, its a phrase commonly used when talking about players and their current form compared to past seasons.

I'm happy to acknowledge that you didn't paraphrase from the post I made saying 'Danny who?' if you say that's not the case. It just seemed a bit of a coincidence that you used the phrase 'whoever he is' when answering one of my posts ... no harm no foul as they say.

Jim44
21-12-2017, 07:20 AM

.......... he’s not singing from the same hymn sheet as the rest of the team.

wookie70
21-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Never given a chance and ultimately another poor signing. Hopefully we can get someone in who Lennon wants to play at least off the bench as we desperately need another option up front. I fear Slivka will be another that gets next to no game time which looks a shame as he does look ok for the brief time he has spent on the pitch. We can't really afford to have 20 first team starters so there are always going to be those that warm the bench. They do have to be good enough to be putting pressure on teh starters and that really hasn't been the case with the signings, in general, over the last couple of years.

Jamesie
21-12-2017, 10:18 AM
I think Davy and Slivka may live together - spotted them shopping in Meadowbank Sainsburys not long after they joined. FWIW I think Slivka can do a job for us if played in position and could be one who if allowed to leave could come back and bite us on the behind.

J-C
21-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I think Davy and Slivka may live together - spotted them shopping in Meadowbank Sainsburys not long after they joined. FWIW I think Slivka can do a job for us if played in position and could be one who if allowed to leave could come back and bite us on the behind.

Hibs own a few flats at the back of ER, McGinn has a flat next to the Sainsburys, it's where I spoke to him last.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Lennon, whose take on Ross County this evening in their second Betfred Cup clash, said: “I’m really pleased with David.

“We’ve basically been looking at him since we came in. When we knew he was going to become available then we pushed the button.

“He’s a target-man and he’s mobile. I wouldn’t say he’s prolific but if he was then he certainly wouldn’t be coming to play in Scotland with the attributes that he has.

“Anyone can go by Wikipedia pages and a lot of fans tend to do that, then make a decision on someone based on that. Wikipedia can hide a multitude of sins.

“I hope people judge him on his all-round game because what we’ve seen, we’ve liked.

“For the wages we pay, we also have to take that into consideration as well. He’s got good experience and he’s played at a very high level.

“I played with some really good ‘big’ strikers – like (Emile) Heskey, (Chris) Sutton, (John) Hartson – and they can make the difference at the top end of the pitch at times if you can’t get out or your being outplayed by teams.

“Grant Holt did a great job for me last year with his experience, know-how and physicality and we hope David will add the same sort of qualities.

“He has played in Romania. He has played in Belgium at quite a high standard.

“We live in a bubble. There are a lot of good teams in Eastern Europe and a lot of good individual players.

“Sometimes we dismiss these leagues because we are in a bubble here in Britain.”

Hibbyradge
21-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Brilliant 👍

Hibs90
21-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Defo reckon he was used as bait for Slivka. Where this leaves Slivka who knows, as hes got a touch of quality about him but in his last start didn't show it for me. I'd give him a shout on Saturday and let him stake his claim for a starting position.

jacomo
21-12-2017, 11:19 AM
I am struggling to understand how an experienced international can't get a single start for us in six months, and then be told he's free to go.

Something has gone wrong here.

Northernhibee
21-12-2017, 11:33 AM

His signings for us haven't been to a great level and that's what I care about.

Firestarter
21-12-2017, 11:35 AM
His signings for us haven't been to a great level and that's what I care about.

And he also signed a load of ***** for Celtic too.

patlowe
21-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Surprised at the general view of Slivka here. He has not set the heather alight but has been a really useful, accomplished squad player on the occasions I've seen him. We've been fortunate in that our first choice midfield has by and large stayed fit, but if we'd had the injury problems in central midfield that we had in central defence then he would have had far more opportunities to show what he can do. With McGinn likely to be away soon I do not see the value in getting rid of Slivka at this stage.

lyonhibs
21-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I am struggling to understand how an experienced international can't get a single start for us in six months, and then be told he's free to go.

It's probably simply that he's not good enough and/or doesnt have the required attitude to lead the line on the SPL.

Lancs Harp
21-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Anyway good luck to big Dave, I hope he has fixed up a club so we can get him off the wage bill. To be honest I'm starting to wonder about Slivka as well now ... IMO we are not the sort of club who pay money for a player and then sit back as he fails to put pressure on the guys in possession of the jerseys which so far he has failed to do .... for me sitting waiting for McGinn to be sold, McGeouch to get injured or Bartley to decide he wants to go back south before he can get a chance isn't good enough.

I still believe a factor in Big Dave signing for us. Of course NL must have thought he could do a job for us as well but having now seen him day in day out in training I'd guess NL's opinion has changed and now clearly doesn't believe he can do a job for us. I'd still maintain that Slivka was a target and Big Dave a by product. Would we have signed Big Dave if the Slivka deal hadnt been in the offing? I'd suggest no.

Firestarter
21-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I still believe a factor in Big Dave signing for us. Of course NL must have thought he could do a job for us as well but having now seen him day in day out in training I'd guess NL's opinion has changed and now clearly doesn't believe he can do a job for us. I'd still maintain that Slivka was a target and Big Dave a by product. Would we have signed Big Dave if the Slivka deal hadnt been in the offing? I'd suggest no.

The forward signed before Slivka. We wouldn't do that kind of business.

File him under Temo Pukki of that Balde Lennon signed. Oh and Mirren Ras someone.

Lancs Harp
21-12-2017, 08:10 PM
The forward signed before Slivka. We wouldn't do that kind of business.

File him under Temo Pukki of that Balde Lennon signed. Oh and Mirren Ras someone.

He may well have signed before Slivka but we arent party to when and where talks for either player first started. Do they have the same agent by any chance?

bingo70
21-12-2017, 08:15 PM
He may well have signed before Slivka but we arent party to when and where talks for either player first started. Do they have the same agent by any chance?

Slivka played in Holland and Italy without a pal, why did he need one for him to sign for us?

Imo it’s simply a case of him not being as good as Lennon hoped for based on the footage he’ll have seen.

Lancs Harp
21-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Slivka played in Holland and Italy without a pal, why did he need one for him to sign for us?

Imo it’s simply a case of him not being as good as Lennon hoped for based on the footage he’ll have seen.

I'm not saying its the sole reason, that would be a bit silly, but I believe it was a factor. Its all about opinions.

monktonharp
21-12-2017, 09:05 PM
And he also signed a load of ***** for Celtic too.Is it not a bit early for the Lennon must go season to start? :confused:

monktonharp
21-12-2017, 09:16 PM
I'm not saying its the sole reason, that would be a bit silly, but I believe it was a factor. Its all about opinions.could also be that NL has another target in mind, that might change his needs for certain positions. he is the manager, he will be slightly concerned that over the last 3 games we got 1 point. we definitely should have got at least 4 from the OF. Cant comment on the sheep game, but could have been enough to tip the balance and force Lennon's hand.

RIP
21-12-2017, 09:37 PM

Maybe just came to Scotland to marry? Illegal in Lithuania by all accounts.

Northernhibee
21-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Is it not a bit early for the Lennon must go season to start? :confused:

Come off it, nobody was saying that at all. Some people just are a little bit fed up of people being blinded by the celebrity of Neil Lennon and have a realistic outlook. A reasonable season so far, some good results, a small handful of shocking results, generally average to poor recruitment but ultimately well placed to make a good go of the rest of the season.

Very important transfer window coming up soon though.

tamig
21-12-2017, 10:37 PM
He may decide to keep taking the Hibs money for the next 18 months which is his right

Highly unlikely if a deal has been agreed for him to leave.

jacomo
21-12-2017, 10:38 PM
It's probably simply that he's not good enough and/or doesnt have the required attitude to lead the line on the SPL.

If he'd had at least a few starts and not done anything then I could accept that.

He's had literally no starts and it seems a bit weird.

tamig
21-12-2017, 10:42 PM
If he'd had at least a few starts and not done anything then I could accept that.

He’s been pretty gash whenever he’s come off the bench though tbh. I was hoping he’d be a decent replacement for Holt but he’s shown nothing imo.

JimBHibees
22-12-2017, 06:35 AM

I am sure he has played development games, friendlies, training games to be assessed whether good enough. Just hasnt happened for him one of these things.

JimBHibees
22-12-2017, 06:36 AM
I'm not saying its the sole reason, that would be a bit silly, but I believe it was a factor. Its all about opinions.

Maybe a case of Slivka recommending dave to Hibs

Brightside
22-12-2017, 09:28 AM

We don't play football in a way that would utilise him. An odd signing if you aren't going to play to his strengths.

wookie70
22-12-2017, 09:47 AM
We don't play football in a way that would utilise him. An odd signing if you aren't going to play to his strengths.
Or we can't play football in a way that would utilise him because he isn't good enough. Strange and disappointing signing. There are a few games where we have been chasing where the ability to get it up the field long and early would have been great but he hasn't really had a sniff.

J-C
22-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Or we can't play football in a way that would utilise him because he isn't good enough. Strange and disappointing signing. There are a few games where we have been chasing where the ability to get it up the field long and early would have been great but he hasn't really had a sniff.

Erm Rowan Vine, had a decent season for St Johnstone and most on here were happy we signed him, he turned out to be one of the worst signings made at that time., now plying his trade at Hartley Wintney FC of the Southern League Div1. :greengrin

MrRobot
22-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Does this not also mean that Lennon can spot when he’s maybe made a mistake and cut his losses?

Not worrying that he’s able to admit somebody he has tracked isn’t good enough.

Best of luck to him anyway. Quite Shan he never got a shot at all.

H18 SFR
22-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Erm Rowan Vine, had a decent season for St Johnstone and most on here were happy we signed him, he turned out to be one of the worst signings made at that time., now plying his trade at Hartley Wintney FC of the Southern League Div1. :greengrin

Aye but he is mates with Shearer though!

Firestarter
22-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Aye but he is mates with Shearer though!

:greengrin

Forza Fred
22-12-2017, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;5254353]could also be that NL has another target in mind,

Jamie McLaren?

greenpaper55
22-12-2017, 03:45 PM
I'm not advocating hoofball but having a big striker at your disposal is a good option in certain games, last week we were given the high press and often the ball was hurriedly cleared only for it to come straight back again as we were up against two big centre backs. It's fine to play football most of the time but there are games when you need a bit physicality so i hope we sign a replacement of the same stature.

tamig
22-12-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm not advocating hoofball but having a big striker at your disposal is a good option in certain games, last week we were given the high press and often the ball was hurriedly cleared only for it to come straight back again as we were up against two big centre backs. It's fine to play football most of the time but there are games when you need a bit physicality so i hope we sign a replacement of the same stature.
But when the big striker isn’t that good and doesn’t utilise his physical attributes it doesn’t really help does it? I hope we sign someone who can put themself about and is of a much better stature than Big Dave.

IGRIGI
22-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Should've kept Grant Holt for one more season.

ancient hibee
22-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Someone like Craig Brewster at his peak would be ideal.

greenlex
22-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Should've kept Grant Holt for one more season.

For about the millionth time. He didn’t want to stay!!!!!

IGRIGI
22-12-2017, 06:28 PM

Awright...first time I've read that :greengrin

greenlex
22-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Awright...first time I've read that :greengrin

👍😁

Marco G
22-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Does this not also mean that Lennon can spot when he’s maybe made a mistake and cut his losses?

Not worrying that he’s able to admit somebody he has tracked isn’t good enough.

Best of luck to him anyway. Quite Shan he never got a shot at all.Yep, but maybe Lennon didn't make a mistake. Davy was a Grant Holt replacement but this season we have played most games where we needed speed more than strength and so Davys chances have been limited.

No mistakes on either side, just a mismatch!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
22-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Yep, but maybe Lennon didn't make a mistake. Davy was a Grant Holt replacement but this season we have played most games where we needed speed more than strength and so Davys chances have been limited.

No mistakes on either side, just a mismatch!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
We have desperately needed a big forward in many games this season. Holt would've played many more games than big Dave has.

jacomo
22-12-2017, 11:59 PM

Not exactly what he said at the time.

Holt would have stayed if he was offered the terms he wanted.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/grant-holt-i-loved-my-time-at-hibs-and-i-won-t-be-winding-down-1-4453803

greenlex
23-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Not exactly what he said at the time.

Holt would have stayed if he was offered the terms he wanted.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/grant-holt-i-loved-my-time-at-hibs-and-i-won-t-be-winding-down-1-4453803

So he didn’t want to stay. I’ll be willing to bet he wishes he had from a football point of view. Quite probably money wise too.

Since90+2
23-12-2017, 08:46 AM
So he didn’t want to stay. I’ll be willing to bet he wishes he had from a football point of view. Quite probably money wise too.

Not agreeing terms on a contract extension is not quite the same as wanting to leave. By the sounds of what he said at the time if Hibs had offered abit more cash he would have stayed.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/grant-holt-hopes-strong-finish-to-season-earns-him-hibs-deal-1-4428195

LeithMike
23-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Davidus was signed after efforts to attract Lafferty (and a few other targets) didn't materialise so it sounds like he wasn't be tracked personally by Lennon but was someone the scouting team were aware of. There was a lot of pressure from us fans to get signings in early at the time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

leithsansiro
23-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Sometimes things just don't work out for a player. Can be down to loads of reasons, perhaps he just didn't fit into the style of play or whatever. Good luck to the guy, and although he didn't exactly set the heather alight for us, I also doubt it'll be one that comes back to haunt us

CMurdoch
01-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Motherwell want strikers.
Would like to see Big Dave loaned to them to give him a chance to show what he can do.
Thoughts?

Since90+2
01-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Why would Motherwell be interested in him?

Itsnoteasy
01-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Davidus was signed after efforts to attract Lafferty (and a few other targets) didn't materialise so it sounds like he wasn't be tracked personally by Lennon but was someone the scouting team were aware of. There was a lot of pressure from us fans to get signings in early at the time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Another one to add to the list of:

It's the fans fault.

CMurdoch
01-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Why would Motherwell be interested in him?

Because they have a massive Moult size hole in their squad and a big Lithuanian International striker might help fill it

hibbyfraelibby
01-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Lots of Speculation that big Dave is offski based on heehaw actual comments from Lennon, George Craig or Tam the kitman.

Is he really going or is it just wishful thinking from those who cannot pronounce his name properly

jacomo
01-01-2018, 05:04 PM

:rolleyes:

thebakerboy
01-01-2018, 05:29 PM
We have desperately needed a big forward in many games this season. Holt would've played many more games than big Dave has.
Thank god he left then I didnt see anything in Holt to excite me , he was very poor as a target man. Target men have to stay upfront and not constantly wandering in to mid field etc.

MWHIBBIES
01-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Thank god he left then I didnt see anything in Holt to excite me , he was very poor as a target man. Target men have to stay upfront and not constantly wandering in to mid field etc.

Holt was a brilliant player in his prime, far better than any striker we've had recently. Done a good job for us last season. Who says target men have to stay up front? He offered so much more than just winning headers, great player.

superfurryhibby
01-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Holt was a brilliant player in his prime, far better than any striker we've had recently. Done a good job for us last season. Who says target men have to stay up front? He offered so much more than just winning headers, great player.

Holt did a job, but he was hardly setting the heather alight at a pishy level for Hibs. As for winning headers, surely you taketh the pesh? Where else would a target man play?

MWHIBBIES
01-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Holt did a job, but he was hardly setting the heather alight at a pishy level for Hibs. As for winning headers, surely you taketh the pesh? Where else would a target man play?

Target men like Holt offer far more than getting on the end of a hoof. He held the ball up very well and won us a lot of ground in many tough games. We didn't lose a lot of goals last season and he played a big part. Constantly talking, defending well, winning many free kicks/throws to get us out.

Holt didn't score enough but it didn't take a genius to see what he offered and how important he could be.

Rattler
01-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Target men like Holt offer far more than getting on the end of a hoof. He held the ball up very well and won us a lot of ground in many tough games. We didn't lose a lot of goals last season and he played a big part. Constantly talking, defending well, winning many free kicks/throws to get us out.

Holt didn't score enough but it didn't take a genius to see what he offered and how important he could be.

This to me sums up just how much we miss him this season

Thecat23
01-01-2018, 08:53 PM

This 👍🏼

matty_f
01-01-2018, 09:24 PM

:agree: I thought Holt was excellent for us.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Spot on. Grant Holt was a very decent player for Hibs.

Heisenberg
01-01-2018, 09:37 PM
I can’t remember which hatchet man defender it was, but a Falkirk boy was in the paper last season saying that Hibs were a totally different side to play against because of Holt. He was a pest that would be up for a battle and would work like **** for the team. He scored against Hearts too so he’s always a hero in my eyes.

We need something similar now expect younger and with more goals. Should be easy, right?

wookie70
02-01-2018, 10:12 AM

We are playing in the league above and against most teams we are camped in the opposition's half. Gaining ground is easy, scoring goals is what counts and Holt offered little in terms of scoring or creating. Holt won us lots of throw ins by standing on the touch line and leaning into defenders. Not exactly our most attacking weapon a throw in.

HappyAsHellas
02-01-2018, 10:17 AM
He was probably our best crosser of a ball last season - the amount of early balls he put into the box between the penalty spot and six yard box was........why not ask Jason?

CMurdoch
02-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Holt did a great job for us.
Played a lot of minutes given his age and gave his all.
However at 36, he is done and left at the right time for him and us.
It's best most of us have good memories of him.

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2018, 01:09 PM
I love this place and how it rewrites history, the team were getting it tight for not creating more chances, relying on Cummings for all our goals, and we are now getting all sentimental about a centre forward who did not score goals, played left wing more often than not, and apart from a handful of games where i will say he played very very well, was pretty ineffectual?

If we could have had the Grant Holt that was so good against herts and the dons this season, of course it would have been a no brainer, but he was not capable of that at his age anymore, although i will concede he might have contributed more than big dave as an impact sub, but i think Lennon had other ideas.

Baader
02-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Holt was offered a new deal but he wanted to go back down south. Source, the man himself.

B.H.F.C
02-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Holt was offered a new deal but he wanted to go back down south. Source, the man himself.

The man himself wasn't so sure when he mentioned this in an in interview with the EEN after he left.

'I think everyone probably knew from my demeanour that I thought that would be my last game [against St Mirren]. I knew before the end of the season that it didn’t look like an offer was coming, so I said my goodbyes to everyone.'

superfurryhibby
02-01-2018, 02:38 PM
I love this place and how it rewrites history, the team were getting it tight for not creating more chances, relying on Cummings for all our goals, and we are now getting all sentimental about a centre forward who did not score goals, played left wing more often than not, and apart from a handful of games where i will say he played very very well, was pretty ineffectual?

If we could have had the Grant Holt that was so good against herts and the dons this season, of course it would have been a no brainer, but he was not capable of that at his age anymore, although i will concede he might have contributed more than big dave as an impact sub, but i think Lennon had other ideas.

This is what I would write about Holt if I could be bothered countering the sentimental view. I would add that he rarely won anything in the air, which surprised me as I imagined that would have been a strength. He was never going to play in the top flight with us.

A target man is exactly that. Forget hoofing the ball anywhere nonsense, the idea is that they play in tandem with the more mobile partner who feeds off their knockdowns and holding play. Classic example being Sandy Clark and John Robertson or Hately and Mc Coist.

This role still has a place at Hibs, I can imagine the right player thriving on the service from Boyle/Barker. A fat bassa like Boyd would score and create plenty in our team and I imagine Stokes would benefit too. Lennon obviously agreed and bought big Dave to play this role. He obviously didn't meet expectations. I can imagine we might go for something similar but better ( we can but dream).

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Nothing to do with rewriting history, I was at every game last season and Holt done a very good job majority of the time. Appears many others agree.

Silver Fox
02-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Craig Brewster and G O'C had a similar partnership, so much so G O'C got capped on the back of the goals he scored emanating from Brewster's hold up play.

Since90+2
02-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Holt done a decent enough job in the Championship no more no less. I imagine he would have struggled at the league above and being another year older.

Firestarter
02-01-2018, 02:56 PM
He was okay nothing more, nothing less. Far better than Andrew Shinnie though.

1875STEVE
02-01-2018, 03:16 PM

It's funny how people see different things during a game.

I always thought Holt was superb.

His hold up play was brilliant, including his first touch and lay off, opposition defenders couldn't handle him IMO.

I think JC come on leaps and bounds playing beside him.

He didn't have much pace anymore, but he made up for it with his awareness.

I think it took him time to bed in, and get fit, having spent what?? 18 months out injured before he came to us, and I think a lot of people were off him by the time he started getting fit.

10x the option Big Dave is IMO.

The way he played against Aberdeen and the Yams proved, imo,he could handle the step up to the SPL.

silverhibee
02-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Has Dave left the club yet.

hibbyfraelibby
02-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Has Dave left the club yet.

Doubt it.. he's a Lithuanian internationalist. If he goes anywhere it wont be for free and there is no-one at the club talking about him leaving just a dodgy EEN article maybe primed by a greedy agent looking for another quick 10%

flash
03-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Doubt it.. he's a Lithuanian internationalist. If he goes anywhere it wont be for free and there is no-one at the club talking about him leaving just a dodgy EEN article maybe primed by a greedy agent looking for another quick 10%

It really will be for free. In fact we will have to pay him to go.

easty
03-01-2018, 08:10 AM
It really will be for free. In fact we will have to pay him to go.

100% this. No chance anyone is buying him from us, he'll get a pay off to get him oot the door.

The Spaceman
03-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Do think we need to move the big man on, unfortunately. Although he has had relatively limited opportunities, he doesn't look up to it. Want us to sign a powerful poacher this window as we are missing it.

Hermit Crab
03-01-2018, 09:47 AM
He's not the best and even when he did play he never looked up to the standard we are looking for. One goal against Arbroath was it? Move him on to free up wage for a better player.

Lago
03-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Why oh why was he signed??

Sammy7nil
03-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Nothing to do with rewriting history, I was at every game last season and Holt done a very good job majority of the time. Appears many others agree.

And a few agree with Blackpool :greengrin

Sammy7nil
03-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Do think we need to move the big man on, unfortunately. Although he has had relatively limited opportunities, he doesn't look up to it. Want us to sign a powerful poacher this window as we are missing it.

Answers on a postcard

Firestarter
03-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Why oh why was he signed??

YouTube video off the same guy that sold Juarez and Mo Bangurra to him for Celtic?

SirDavidsNapper
03-01-2018, 02:02 PM
He's no improvement on Brian Graham from what I've seen. If only big Grant Holt had fancied another season. Miss his experience and would have brought young Shaw on a bit.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2018, 03:40 PM
He's no improvement on Brian Graham from what I've seen. If only big Grant Holt had fancied another season. Miss his experience and would have brought young Shaw on a bit.

Would he, perhaps Shaw would have been loaned out if he'd stayed, i read cummings scored just as many goals with him in the team than without him in the team?

Tyler Durden
03-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Would he, perhaps Shaw would have been loaned out if he'd stayed, i read cummings scored just as many goals with him in the team than without him in the team?

I'm sure when Shefki Kuqi was here (thanks Pat Fenlon) we had Griffiths and Ross Caldwell in the press talking about how helpful he was on the training ground too 😂

It's the usual cliched nonsense that players trot out. Craig Brewster helping Garry O Connor must be one of the biggest Hibs.Net myths going.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2018, 05:50 PM
I'm sure when Shefki Kuqi was here (thanks Pat Fenlon) we had Griffiths and Ross Caldwell in the press talking about how helpful he was on the training ground too 😂

It's the usual cliched nonsense that players trot out. Craig Brewster helping Garry O Connor must be one of the biggest Hibs.Net myths going.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2018, 06:31 PM
It's a fact that ex Hibs players performances for Hibs improve as the time elapses since they played for us, always has been.

Gmack7
03-01-2018, 07:43 PM
It's a fact that ex Hibs players performances for Hibs improve as the time elapses since they played for us, always has been.

including Zibby? to far ?

Eyrie
03-01-2018, 07:47 PM
including Zibby? to far ?

I think there was a recent post which referred to Malkowski as a goalkeeper, so sufficient time must have elapsed for him to have improved in someone's mind.

Beefster
04-01-2018, 11:33 AM

The same thing happens for current players. The longer they are out of the team when we're playing pish, the more then become the answer to all our problems. Never works, mind you. We're generally just reminded why they weren't getting a game.

The_Horde
04-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Looked back at some footage the other day. Zibby actually pulled off some decent stops for us in his time. It was the mistakes in derbies that ruined him. Probably all errors Rocky has made too.

Michael
04-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Looked back at some footage the other day. Zibby actually pulled off some decent stops for us in his time. It was the mistakes in derbies that ruined him. Probably all errors Rocky has made too.

He threw the ball better than any keeper I've seen at pretty much any level.

Shame he was useless in almost every other sense.

bingo70
06-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Interesting big Dave is on the flight to Portugal with the rest of the squad.

Him leaving may not be guaranteed after all.

tamig
06-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Did NL ever say we was free to go?

bingo70
06-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Did NL ever say we was free to go?

Not that I’m aware of.

Was reported in the news and a few posters on here said it though.

kevo1875
06-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Zibby was outstanding for us at ibrox in Sproules hatrick game , the reason it was still goalless when Ivan came on

HFCdeb
06-01-2018, 02:57 PM
It's funny how people see different things during a game.

I always thought Holt was superb.

His hold up play was brilliant, including his first touch and lay off, opposition defenders couldn't handle him IMO.

I think JC come on leaps and bounds playing beside him.

He didn't have much pace anymore, but he made up for it with his awareness.

I think it took him time to bed in, and get fit, having spent what?? 18 months out injured before he came to us, and I think a lot of people were off him by the time he started getting fit.

10x the option Big Dave is IMO.

The way he played against Aberdeen and the Yams proved, imo,he could handle the step up to the SPL.

100% this. Absolutely loved watching Holt play for Hibs. Opposition teams were terrified of him. Would have loved for him to stay on with us.

Iain G
06-01-2018, 03:25 PM

He was certainly a better goalkeeper than Simon Brown 😁

Hibee Mac
06-01-2018, 03:31 PM
I agree that both Holt and even Brian Graham were better options than big Dave.

Very strange signing.

Billy Whizz
06-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Source Bingo😄

Souter96Mac
06-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Big Dave still has his chance to score a Derby winner..

thebausburst
06-01-2018, 04:49 PM
I agree that both Holt and even Brian Graham were better options than big Dave.

Very strange signing.

Does make you wonder how all the background analysis etc identified him as a good signing😔

bingo70
06-01-2018, 04:51 PM
Source Bingo😄

Instagram.

Him and Slivka sitting together.

There was me thinking Instagram was only any use for perving as well.

Billy Whizz
06-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Instagram.

Him and Slivka sitting together.

There was me thinking Instagram was only any use for perving as well.
Ha ha, good spot, perving or not😄